Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I think we've had more headshots this mission than all the Highlander movies combined.

I really wouldn't be surprised if this were the case. Someone should do an analysis after the mission is over, since I'll bet that there's going to be at least another one before the mission ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

But that involves watching Highlander movies that aren't the first one :gonk:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

dis astranagant posted:

There Should Have Been Only One.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I recall the tv series being vaguely ok for a few seasons but yeah, all the later moves are just horrifically bad.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!

dis astranagant posted:

Ah but have you seen Highlander: The Search For Vengeance? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0465657/

You can watch your Highlander, receive history lessons such as why Rome really fell, and get your anime all rolled up in a neat package :suicide:

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Hey PTN! I'm sure you've been asked this several times before, but, well, this thread is massive and I have no idea how I'd search back through the entire thread to find it, and I didn't see it mentioned in the OP, so I'll just ask here:

Your maps for these games are really good. How do you make them? Do you have a custom tileset, or a program to put them together in or something?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I use the BattleTech Map Editor which is very old but does about 95% of the things I want from a map-making software.

The UI is very basic and time-consuming though.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Highlander: The Source. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Suffer!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Hastilude: Tactical Update 15

“drat that Varas,” Duncan Marik grumbled to himself as he stormed into his command center as technicians began swarming around the feet of his prototype Grand Titan. Aides and officers saluted and promptly stepped out of his way, and despite his foul mood the Captain-General acknowledged each with eye contact and a slight nod. He slipped into his office, slumped into a heavily-padded office chair and rested his face in both hands to massage his eyes with his fingertips.

“Don’t rub too hard, my liege.”

“Harrison,” Duncan Marik didn’t look up. “As soon as this idiotic fight is over, I want Varas here. I want his head on my desk.”

“That will prove difficult,” Harrison Kalma didn’t miss a beat. “The Clanners killed him.”

“drat. And the others?” Duncan paused, “No. Don’t answer that. Are we winning or losing?”

“Still inconclusive,” Harrison replied in low tones, “but it’s not looking good. Dr. Sequord still thinks she can earn a victory but the Clan pilots are very good. Varas’s little stunt may have cost us the fight and I also must apologize. My advice was ill-considered: when they told us about their culture of “warrior superiority” and we learned they were actually three independent commands, I assumed they’d be partially occupied competing with each other and would have difficulty working together as a unit. I was wrong.”

“You weren’t, Harrison,” Duncan sighed. “I’ve spoken with them, face-to-face. Clan culture is a warrior culture. They’re not soldiers, not an army. They’re a collection of individuals who just happen to share the same culture. We should’ve known their pilots are skilled enough to know how best to work around each other, it’s just how they fight. Regardless: someone is going to answer for Varas, I want his second in command brought here immediately.”

Harrison Kalma nodded, “I’ll send a runner.”

Duncan forestalled him with a raised hand. “Not a runner, Harrison. Send a platoon of infantry.”

Kalma’s eyes widened inquisitively, “My liege?”

“I’ve underestimated Kemper Varas twice now. There will not be a third time.”

Combat Phase
Knights Wraith
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Clan Grizzly (3 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 heat - 2 Pulse Laser = 9): rolled 7, miss!
- Gains 11 heat, sinks 20!

Knights Anvil
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Clan Grizzly (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods - 2 Pulse Laser = 7): rolled 7, hit Right Leg (11/27 armor remains)!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Clan Grizzly (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods - 2 Pulse Laser = 7): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Clan Grizzly (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 9): rolled 7, miss!
- Gains 23 heat, sinks 24! Overheating!

Clan Wraith
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Knights Wraith (3 base + 4 range + 3 movement + 4 enemy movement - 2 Pulse Laser = 12): rolled 6, miss!
- Gains 17 heat, sinks 20!

Clan Orion
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 22!

Clan Grizzly
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Knights Anvil (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 7): rolled 12, hit Left Torso (0/21 armor, 11/14 structure remains)! Crit!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Knights Anvil (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods - 2 Pulse Laser = 5): rolled 8, hit Right Torso (0/14 structure remains)! Torso destroyed!
- - Damage transfers to Center Torso (6/30 armor remains)!
- Fires LRM-10 at Knights Anvil (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 7): rolled 9, 6 missiles hit Center Torso (1/30 armor remains), Center Torso (0/30 armor remains)!
- Gains19 heat, sinks 22!

End Phase:
Knights Anvil
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (4 base + 1 massive damage = 5): rolled 5, succeeds!
- Critical chance in Left Torso! No critical hits sustained!

Unit Status:

Knights of the Inner Sphere Mission Objectives:
- Win (incomplete)

Hastilude Enemy Movement Mods:
- Wraith – Jumped +4
- Orion – Ran +1
- Grizzly – Ran +1

Next Orders Due: Saturday Night!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Well, at least the anvil has less of a heat build up problem now.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Ouch. I knew I'd be eating 5s and 7s, but I was hoping we'd be getting some damage done. Well, at least I can still move.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Well, that was a mess.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Not good for the GoonKnights. Little to no damage inflicted on the Clanners, and the Anvil lost a torso in response. It's about to get blasted, since the Wraith seems to be maneuvering to get a kill shot. You guys might be able to take out the Grizzly before it happens, but after that. the battle is basically lost.

Still, you guys gave as good as you got in the beginning. No shame in losing to these Clanners, I would think, especially with the stats they had...

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Clans, coming to a Rim World near you. :getin:

Now they just need to salvage something useable from the Mountain Lion to help them prepare for the attack.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
It's not totally lost. If the Anvil and the Grizzly manage to knock each other out next turn, then the Orion will presumably be content to watch the Wraiths duke it out. I believe aid Orion is also one hit away from being mission-killed by an XL engine, so if our Wraith makes it that far it's actually a pretty fair shot at winning.

Yes, that does mean that we're better off with the Anvil dying and keeping the Orion out of the fight than living and letting it unload on you.

BMcDonough
Jul 30, 2013

Dolash posted:

Clans, coming to a Rim World near you. :getin:

Now they just need to salvage something useable from the Mountain Lion to help them prepare for the attack.

Did they bid for salvage rights, though, or merely passage? As this isn't a Trial of Possession for the planet, the destroyed 'mechs would still belong to the chain of command that fielded them, I'd think.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Doesn't losing a torso when you have an XL engine just mean two automatic engine hits?

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

That's for Clan XLs. For Inner Sphere XLs, it should be 3 engine hits.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

BMcDonough posted:

Did they bid for salvage rights, though, or merely passage? As this isn't a Trial of Possession for the planet, the destroyed 'mechs would still belong to the chain of command that fielded them, I'd think.

Anything that's fielded against you in a bid that loses is yours to keep if you want. That's how the Jade Falcons absorbed Clan Wolf in 3057. That the Clans don't generally practice salvage doesn't mean they don't do it, and they certainly don't leave examples of technology that an enemy doesn't have lying around for them if they can help it.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I'd say it's pretty likely the clans want nothing to do with Rim Worlds technology and might gladly pass it over to Duncan.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

GhostStalker posted:

Still, you guys gave as good as you got in the beginning. No shame in losing to these Clanners, I would think, especially with the stats they had...

Not really. We got shot in the head while doing some random armor damage early on.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

The Gate posted:

Not really. We got shot in the head while doing some random armor damage early on.

That's all down to dice, though. You guys made decent decisions, but things didn't quite break your way when the cubes started bouncing. I think this has actually been one of the closer matches, since a roll or two going differently could easily have slanted things wildly. Say, the Clan Albatross not politely detonating early, or one of the Clanners getting head-capped instead of the Mountain Lion. I think you guys did okay!

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

You also shouldn't underestimate the advantage of always-win-initiative on a 7/11/7 mech. I think it doesn't give you quite as much of an advantage against the enemy Wraith because PTN can just keep jumping 7 into woods to counter your movement, and it's probably not as vulnerable to backstabbing, but if it comes down to Wraith vs. Orion that'll be really nice.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

The Gate posted:

Right, but you also managed to pull out ahead by killing the Albatross early and then immobilizing the Clanvil. Sure, those lucky headshots hurt a lot, but you had people thinking you'd be able to pull this off for the first couple of turns, myself included, if you could keep up the firepower and hits.

Then it all started to fall apart.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
Get up in the Grizzly's face, fire everything, punch him, and die standing. It's the best thing I can think of for you to do, sadly.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
There were also a few missed turns due to no orders at the start which could have made a difference. Honestly though this has been a pretty intense mission irrespective of that.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Good pilots and advanced weapons make for brutal matches. You can still technically win this: As has been mentioned 7/11/7 Ace is a massive advantage.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels

Wales Grey posted:

Get up in the Grizzly's face, fire everything, punch him, and die standing. It's the best thing I can think of for you to do, sadly.

That's pretty much the plan. Well, that or 1128 for a bit more protection from the wraith. Not that really matters at this point though, and I think I'd rather get the frontal attack profile on the grizzly. I do still hit front armour from 1128, just the side arc, right?

Also I've only got the one arm left and I'm still the worst pilot on the field... Are you better off with a gamble punch or more reliable but more useless kick damage? I've been fairly lucky with the fist and I haven't punched out a weapons system in a few turns now... Getting itchy...

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Raised by Hamsters posted:

That's pretty much the plan. Well, that or 1128 for a bit more protection from the wraith. Not that really matters at this point though, and I think I'd rather get the frontal attack profile on the grizzly. I do still hit front armour from 1128, just the side arc, right?

Also I've only got the one arm left and I'm still the worst pilot on the field... Are you better off with a gamble punch or more reliable but more useless kick damage? I've been fairly lucky with the fist and I haven't punched out a weapons system in a few turns now... Getting itchy...

1128 is in the Grizzly's right side arc, but you can still hit basically everything. It just weights the table to stuff on the right side. [link]

I really recommend getting to 1128, he'll only be able to fire his gauss at you one of us, with a -2 at you from the minimum range modifier. Also, go for the punch, if it hits, we have a better than 50% chance of hitting a part we want to hit. (CT/RA/Head is 4/6 of the right-side punch table).

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 6, 2014

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

GhostStalker posted:

Right, but you also managed to pull out ahead by killing the Albatross early and then immobilizing the Clanvil. Sure, those lucky headshots hurt a lot, but you had people thinking you'd be able to pull this off for the first couple of turns, myself included, if you could keep up the firepower and hits.

Then it all started to fall apart.

I guess I just had a sinking feeling early on :v: I saw the map and the mechs and even with the initiative bonus we get I knew it would be tough. Then the headshots started rolling and I was really concerned.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Wales Grey posted:

There's nothing sad about going down in a heroic blaze of glory. :colbert:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Next mission should be players in jade Falcon mechs with good clan stats going up against overwhelming odds of lesser mechs belonging to the draconis suns.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Affi posted:

Next mission should be players in jade Falcon mechs with good clan stats going up against overwhelming odds of lesser mechs belonging to the draconis suns.

Why does that idea sound so familiar?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
The Death Commando campaign is my favorite part of the LP so far, so I'm pretty excited for the Draconis Suns one. Assuming it wins the next vote, of course.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Blaze of glory...

Six Firestarters and some tanks with incendiaries against a bunch of Elementals in the middle of a huge forest during the dry season.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I think that I might have mentioned this before (it's a long thread) but some of the most fun that I had in a scenario was pitting 13 light and light-medium Inner Sphere mechs up against a 0/0 pilot in a Dire Wolf.

Little guys won, but it was a close shave.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Zeroisanumber posted:

I think that I might have mentioned this before (it's a long thread) but some of the most fun that I had in a scenario was pitting 13 light and light-medium Inner Sphere mechs up against a 0/0 pilot in a Dire Wolf.

Little guys won, but it was a close shave.

Similar to the mythical "battalion of Wasps and Stingers vs. Atlas" battle in TRO 3025. I've always wanted to try that in MegaMek.

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

You haven't really lived until you've run nothing but battle armor against a beastly zombie assault mech. Plucky little fellas chomping at the behemoth's ankles. That's probably my favorite MegaMek vs. AI thing to do.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Wonder how many Shedu units equal an Atlas in terms of BV. Can't be that many.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Scenario:

The Draconis Suns have managed to maul the Jade Falcons in an unprecedented in scale assault. In a crushing victory they managed to decapitate the clan leadership. But the falcons aren't down and out yet. With no time to return to Strana Mechty to raise a new Khan they decide to raise one straight from the Warrior Caste during an all out assault on Drac Suns forces. The winner takes it all.

Situation: A Binary of Falcon medium to heavy mechs with great jumping capabilities and pretty darn elite pilots assault and try to decapitate the leadership of the DracSuns. Defended by a overstrength company. The goal is to become the new Khan of the clan.

By scoring points!

Kill = X Points
Headcap = XX Points
Taking the high ground = Y Points
Backshots = YX points

And so on.

Winner or survivor gets to be Khan.

I'd play it :(

• Locked thread