Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

PoptartsNinja posted:

The mission isn't over.

Stand by for Surprise Campaign Mission: Ultimatum

:munch: Standing by.

Goon MVP: Wraith
Clan MVP: Orion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Gay Abortions posted:

Welp there goes two Galaxy Commanders. Those aren't easy to replace.

They're only listed as MIA right now, since none of their cockpits got exploded like the Star Captain driving the Grizzly, the NRWR guys are probably holding them hostage to pump for information after they disabled their mechs. This is going to be interesting, though...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh. This isnt a good sign.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gay Abortions posted:

Welp there goes two Galaxy Commanders. Those aren't easy to replace.

Aren't they? If you want to replace a Galaxy Commander you just have the 3-5 Star Colonels in their Galaxy fight over who gets their job.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

There the reason that I've voted for every option that is hostile to the NRWR. Because the Arimas family is the closest thing to a true villain for the Clans and the Inner Sphere.

Goon MVP: Anvil
Clan MVP: Orion murdermachine

Zikan fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 20, 2014

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

and an ultimatium?

:suspense:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Ow. Brainburn status. That can't be good. :(

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
MVPs: KnAnvil and ClOrion.

VoidSig is beautiful, beautiful stuff. Not that you can see it. Speaking of, Mission 19, Hex 0524. Easiest to see if you look at the hex number.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Holy poo poo. Gwaihir put this best.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
drat you Trout!

Let's see what goes terribly wrong!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Defiance Industries posted:

Nah. Flip the table. 3250 reboot all the way to the bank. Plus if you stop after Tukayyid it's nothing but Superfriends forever.

Are you kidding? FedCom civil war and breakup, Inner Sphere powers going back their old shenanigans, clan occupation zone rubbing up against the inner sphere... everyone can fight everyone! It's the good old Inner Sphere thunderdome with some new contestants.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I have a hard time worrying about MVPs with this level of shenanigans at foot.

Also, I smell some serious bullshit mechs incoming.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

At 3050 you're gonna be waiting another 15+ years for the FedCom to break up.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Goonlance MVP:Anvil
OpFor MVP: Orion

It begins.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

goatface posted:

MVPs:

Players: The Anvil. Top zombie work.
OPFOR: The Orion, for wrecking poo poo like a champ.

This. All this.

Oh man please let there be a way for the FWL to survive what's coming :ohdear:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Arglebargle III posted:

Are you kidding? FedCom civil war and breakup, Inner Sphere powers going back their old shenanigans, clan occupation zone rubbing up against the inner sphere... everyone can fight everyone! It's the good old Inner Sphere thunderdome with some new contestants.

None of those things happen if you stop right after Tukayyid though. The FCCW in particular isn't for another ten years. Where inter-Sphere conflict is concerned the 3050s are boooooring. Operation Guerrero is a nothing war and other than that it's all hand-wringing over the Clans until the Star League is reformed.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 20, 2014

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
MVPs: IS Anvil, Clan Orion

Also, I'd like to say that I loving called it:

Wales Grey posted:

Plus, I'm banking on that 2.8% headshot and the 20-turn timer. Barring unforseen nukes/shadow regiments/FWL 1203rd biannual Civil War/breaches of Clan honoure rules, I've got this in the bag.

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 20, 2014

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Oh man please let there be a way for the FWL to survive what's coming :ohdear:

The FWL will survive as a lost colony of Marik clones, cut off from the Inner Sphere, slap-fighting each other for eternity.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Defiance Industries posted:

None of those things happen if you stop right after Tukayyid though. The FCCW in particular isn't for another ten years. Where inter-Sphere conflict is concerned the 3050s are boooooring. Operation Guerrero is a nothing war and other than that it's all hand-wringing over the Clans until the Star League is reformed.

Well okay, that then. Basically I just want the 5 Inner Sphere powers plus the clan occupation zones and they fight but nothing ever really changes. Or if it does, it changes slowly. The Warhammer 40,000 continuity is a good example of fuzzy time where the board is set up for unlimited possible conflicts but nothing really ever gets finished. It's a good fit for a miniatures wargame.

Battletech could have used a stopping point. Even stuff like the Lyran Commonwealth switching to the Lyran Alliance alienates players to some extent; you have to repaint your stupid guys or buy new decals for some bullshit reason, or just pretend the current continuity didn't happen.

Things that hurt miniature (and computer) wargaming that Battletech has done:
  • Obsolescence. Bringing in new designs is fine and power creep is inevitable (and practical from a business standpoint) but you don't want to totally obsolete your incumbent playerbase's units. It fragments your players and some of them will stick to old rulesets or just houserule it and ignore your product line. The game dies as an ongoing venture, basically, and is either reborn in new form or not. Wizkids is particularly guilty of this.

• Fragmenting playerbase. Having the game divided into different playable settings is a bad idea. Again, you're going to get people who ignore the "living" game and your franchise will die off. Much better to make the game playable with any force combination. Which means getting Omnimechs out except for under severe restrictions.

• Allowing optimization. Omni-tech in particular should have been restricted to Clans and their insane combat rules. Inner Sphere Omni-mechs are fun for mech-building, but pretty much NOT fun for actually fighting. Allowing gameplay to converge at a few points of optimization is a bad thing. Variety is life for a game system. Witness complaints about pulse laser boats, or CT coring in computer games. Those complaints are fundamentally about the game collapsing into one optimal play.

• I really don't have time to be typing out a long list right now, poo poo.

It's not surprising that Battletech has gone through so many flip-the-table events since its IP has been hackey-sacked so much since the mid 90s.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 20, 2014

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Arglebargle III posted:

Well okay, that then. Basically I just want the 5 Inner Sphere powers plus the clan occupation zones and they fight but nothing ever really changes. Or if it does, it changes slowly.

There's like a sixty year span of this from the end of the Jihad to the Dark Age, except you have the Republic in the middle there. The thing is eras like this usually get skimmed over. They did it with the post-4SW era, where they skipped straight to the Clan Invasion because other than the War of 3039, which didn't even include Liao and Marik, nothing major happened. They did it with the post-Jihad, where everything settled down and people tussled along their borders occasionally.

quote:

Things that hurt miniature (and computer) wargaming that Battletech has done:
Obsolescence. Bringing in new designs is fine and power creep is inevitable (and practical from a business standpoint) but you don't want to totally obsolete your incumbent playerbase's units. It fragments your players and some of them will stick to old rulesets or just houserule it and ignore your product line. The game dies as an ongoing venture, basically, and is either reborn in new form or not. Wizkids is particularly guilty of this.

I would say BT has been pretty generous with this. It's not like they make things out-and-out useless like MWDA did with its ever-increasing attack and defense numbers, you can still trot out an old WHM or HBK and do some damage. It will be harder to win, but they haven't made most things completely obsolete with the possible exception of level 1 light mechs. Second, they continually introduce new variants of old machines, so if you have an old Commando you really like, you can still field it as an -8S instead of a -2D. My go-to lance of minis is a Banshee, Warhammer, Griffin and Hunchback because I can play everything from primitive tech to a 3145 experimental unit with the same minis.

quote:

Fragmenting playerbase. Having the game divided into different playable settings is a bad idea. Again, you're going to get people who ignore the "living" game and your franchise will die off. Much better to make the game playable with any force combination. Which means getting Omnimechs out except for under severe restrictions.

But you can play the game with any set of units. It's not always fair but that's why you have BV. I'll admit that BV is too complicated except when you're doing it on MM, but it's a pretty good balancing metric, and it most importantly allows for a balance of unequal forces rather than just using tonnage or something. Also, why should Omnimechs be out? They have no actual performance advantages over BattleMechs in combat.

quote:

Allowing optimization. Omni-tech in particular should have been restricted to Clans and their insane combat rules. Inner Sphere Omni-mechs are fun for mech-building, but pretty much NOT fun for actually fighting. Allowing gameplay to converge at a few points of optimization is a bad thing. Variety is life for a game system. Witness complaints about pulse laser boats, or CT coring in computer games. Those complaints are fundamentally about the game collapsing into one optimal play.

That's not a consequence of Omnimechs. It has literally nothing to do with Omnis. I have construction rules in my second edition boxed set, so the problem of optimized custom mechs dates back before the Omni was even introduced. Yes, optimized customs are lovely, but all you have to do to deal with them is not allow customs in your game. Problem solved. Even if they hadn't released the construction rules, someone would have reverse-engineered them at some point just like they did with the rules for designing battle armor, years before it was released to the public.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Omnis are actually harder to customize than regular mechs if you go by the full customization rules. If there isn't another omnimech of the same weight with a limb that eats up exactly the free tonnage of the one you want to replace you have to build custom pods (and hope your engineers don't gently caress it up) and spend all that extra overhead.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Ultimatum: Tactical Update 1

Duncan paced with impatient frustration as he waited for the Clan entourage to respond. In theory, he had a direct line to their leadership, but he’d never had reason to put that to the test. The holotank flickered, and was filled not with the fierce and familiar features of Khan Michael McKenna; but with those of the large-headed near-dwarf who’d accompanied the man. Duncan couldn’t keep disappointment from his face.

“I’m sorry,” he began with an undiplomatic grimace. “I need to speak with the Khan right away.”

The little man stared, his face contorting for a moment. “Then speak. The Khan has returned to the fleet. I am saKhan Richard Magnus.”

“You’re in charge of ground operations?”

Magnus’s expression darkened further. “Jointly. Speak, Duncan Marik. I grow impatient.”

“I’ll spare you a lengthy explanation. You’ve read the dossiers on my Knights? You are familiar with the battalion we took on from the Rim World Republic?”

“Aff,” the saKhan frowned. “Why?”

“They’ve gone AWOL. I can only assume that they’ve betrayed us and that they mean to attack your forces. As we are not enemies—”

“That remains to be seen,” the saKhan interjected darkly.

Duncan’s eyes narrowed, and he continued forcefully. “As we are not enemies, I suggest you put your forces on high alert.”

“I will take it under advisement. Answer one question for me, Duncan Marik. Why would you take Rim Worlders into your midst?”

Duncan sighed, “Have you heard the old adage: “Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer?” ”

The saKhan snorted disdainfully, as though he found the very idea ludicrous. “When you clasp a viper to your breast, do you not expect it to bite?”

“The Khan has gone mad, quiaff?”

A sigh rattled unbidden from long-suffering Star Commander Aurek’s throat. “Mechwarrior Tara—”

“I have already put myself on report, Star Commander,” came her immediate, far-too-glib reply. Aurek made a mental note to throw her around in a circle of equals again, and soon. “The Elementals have perimeter defense; and they’ve reported nothing. I could understand a long-range scouting patrol, but a close patrol? This is a waste of time and resources.”

“Be silent, Tara.” Mechwarrior Charys growled. “I have no wish to be labeled a malcontent because you cannot keep your mouth shut.”

“I will stop complaining,” Tara said petulantly, “only when this patrol stops being stupid. It has been nearly a year since any of us have seen combat, I see no reason to ever be content with that!”

“I will give you all the combat you want when we return to the barracks, Tara,” Charys hissed. “Now shut up.”

“I look forward to beating you senseless yet again—”

“Be silent!” Aurek roared. “We are approaching one of our defensive cordons but my active probe is detecting no Elementals. Does anyone have them?”

“Neg,” was Tara’s immediate response. “Active probe is unresponsive.”

“Same,” came the taciturn Mechwarrior Crow’s reply. “Active probe is not “unresponsive.” Active probe is being jammed.”

“That’s impossible,” Tara grunted. “It’s just a malfunction.”

“Neg,” Crow grunted even as the actinic flash of a PPC burned clean through Mechwarrior Charys’ Mist Lynx. “It is not.”

“We are under attack,” Star Commander Aurek broadcast in the clear—the open channel was tinged with static. “Repeat, we are under—”

MechWarriors:
Gay Abortions
Artificer
That Italian Guy
Z the IVth
Kial
berryjon

Alternates:
-Troika-
Great Beer
JT Jag

Special Rules
Overheat Ace: The Rim World Blackguard gain Ace status when they overheat by 10 points or more!

Blind: Enemy units are only visible in direct Line of Sight

Hidden Units: Some enemy units remain hidden until they attack. Additionally, units equipped with Void Signature Systems may expend a turn’s movement to hide themselves if they are not in direct line of sight.

Expect Surprises: When the players lose their Phase 1 units, they will gain control of a powerful Phase 2 unit. When the players lose their Phase 2 unit, they will still have a chance to influence the outcome of the battle with a weaker Phase 3 unit. Some of these units start on the map, others will enter from elsewhere.

Player Status:

Phase 1 Objectives:
- Delay the enemy for as many turns as possible
- Defend Clan HQ Vehicles (3/3 remaining)
- Defend Clan Personnel (84/84 tents remaining)
- Defend Clan Equipment (36/36 units remaining)

Phase 2 Objectives:
- Defeat as many enemy `Mechs as possible (0/39 defeated)

Phase 3 Objectives:
- Defeat as many enemy `Mechs as possible

Enemy Aces:
None

Attention, Mechwarriors! You will be receiving a PM / E-Mail soon.

Orders Due: Next Tuesday! (A little extra leeway is being given for the MVP vote, also so I can finally post the results of that contest I forgot to post the results for)

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 20, 2014

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Oh gently caress.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Fun fact: the map was too big for LPix

Edit: Also, I'm an idiot and forgot to assign `Mechs to players. One sec while I fix that.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 20, 2014

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
You've p. much outdone yourself, PTN. Holy poo poo.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Oh god it's Predator all over again.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
The Mist Lynx B is a baller mech and the player assigned to it should strive to never discover their Phase 2 mech.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Looks sweet.

Clan MVP: Grizzly, for the headshot on Varas
Knights MVP: Anvil, for being a zombie

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You forgot the heat on the Arctic Cheetah's LRMs

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Holy mother, this looks incredible.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Niiiiiiice.

I feel some music should accompany the player turns for this mission - what would the goons suggest be appropriate for this scenario?

E: I'll join the consensus and vote for the Knights Anvil and Clan Orion as MVPs.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

anakha posted:

Niiiiiiice.

I feel some music should accompany the player turns for this mission - what would the goons suggest be appropriate for this scenario?

E: I'll join the consensus and vote for the Knights Anvil and Clan Orion as MVPs.

The music of the Future of the 1980's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5FKNViujeM

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

anakha posted:

Niiiiiiice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD3VsesSBsw&t=3s

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Let me just add to the chorus of hoooooly shiiiiiiiit. I love this thread.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010
This'll certainly be a bloodbath, but I have faith in the team. Fish are natural prey for bears and sea foxes, after all. (Not really for ravens, I guess, but their answer is probably "SPACESHIP!")

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I don't have any contact info for Z the IVth, Kial is up in the Arctic Cheetah

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
Dillon PTN, you son of a bitch! :madmax:

Overplayed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXnAxydhZ8M

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

KnoxZone posted:

The Mist Lynx B is a baller mech and the player assigned to it should strive to never discover their Phase 2 mech.

It'll be something like a Ryoken or a Shadow Cat, just watch.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Very pumped, this looks like one hell of an exciting scenario!

Edit - I wonder if this attack is just the result of the Knights losing the challenge? If they were about to win (and thus, possibly cause the Clans to take the long way around) there might not've been any need for this from the Rim Worlds' perspective.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Huh. Mechwarrior Charys is down already huh? Oh God it IS like Aliens or something.

Okay I'll try and get my orders in tomorrow. My fellow players, we should create a google-doc or something to coordinate, perhaps?

• Locked thread