Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

TerryLennox posted:

Would Jules Verne's works be considered steampunk?

Not even close. Verne wrote pulp/fantastic science type stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Didn't the term "science fiction" basically get invented to describe Jules Verne stuff? He and Wells also got the classic sign of good sci-fi: What they described eventually became just plain science fact (Nuclear Sub Nautilus for example).

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010
What have you done to me, PTN.

Now I'm literally watching a show that's an ad for building tiny plastic robots.

garland336
Feb 26, 2013
clans vs IS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HqvAFd4gVE

most ridiculously glorious over the top anime which was vastly tamer than the weirdness it's manga was: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_axAqRPow3Y

Gasaraki still has the best robot fighting scene of all time: (couldn't find it, but basically it involves a robot doing the predator head rip/yell)

As well as some good robo battling in general: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6ZRO5JiQ8c

Lots of good stuff out there.

BMcDonough
Jul 30, 2013

TerryLennox posted:

Verne is what a lot of the steampunk authors (such as there are) are trying to evoke, but the problem is that Verne wasn't writing as any kind of 'retro' or 'alternate science'. He was taking the scientific knowledge of his day, and trying to peer beyond into 'what will technology make possible?' Verne was writing during a heady, heady time for a technologist. The Industrial Revolution and the advances in science and technology that made it possible (and which it, in turn, was making possible) seemed to promise limitless advancement, in the reasonably near-term. That advancement really just snowballed into those same promises that seem tantalizingly close in our own lifetimes (Fusion power, after all, has been 'only a few decades away' for half a century now). In the popular culture, it's a time before the anti-science backlash that starts, really, in World War I, where machine guns, early tanks, flame throwers, and chemical weapons shocked the public with just how fast and how efficiently humanity could kill one another now.

That's where the roots of dystopianism lie. Right after Verne, who died in 1905, I think? Lived just long enough to see Powered Flight and hear about Relativity, the lucky bastard. Even at the end of his life, it must have seemed like the universe was right there, waiting for humanity to just reach out and take it. The earliest hints of it are in Wells, but even there in The Time Machine, Wells was saying that it was the return to an absence of industry and capitalism that would give rise to Morlocks.

And dystopianism is essential to 'punk, be it cyberpunk, splatterpunk, or steampunk. You can't have good, solid 'punk without something to rage against, something to rebel against. Even if it's just the Hammerites from the original Thief games. A lot of people trying to develop steampunk settings don't really seem to get that, alas.

Which is a shame, because a good, pulpy steampunk story set against the backdrop of the British Empire in the 1890s, with its 'corporate' NGOs acting as oppressors in Asia, or supporting the Crown in objectionable ways in Australia/NZ/Oceana... that could really be something to see.

But... uhm... this is something of a tangent, so... rar big stompy robots kill those Stingers! Or something. :black101:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Two days too late.

I'm still happy with the results.

If there's one thing video games taught me, is that shotguns are more awesome if they're dual-wielded.

Andrevian posted:

Now I'm literally watching a show that's an ad for building tiny plastic robots.

The better question is: are you enjoying it?

VVV It wasn't even that finished until yesterday. The first, it didn't have even one arm.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 4, 2014

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

PoptartsNinja posted:

Also, I wanted to let you know the status of this year's April Fool's Joke: I just plain ran out of time. My little sister sent me a Kampfer (from Mobile Suit Gundam) model for my birthday, and over the past week I've been slowly painting it in Draconis Combine colors.

I was going to post a big in-universe fiction piece about the Draconis Combine rising up against their Feddie oppressors, while pretending the current campaign was a fake-out and that we'd essentially be playing the Zeon from Mobile Suit Gundam. The only problem?

I wasn't able to finish the Kampfer in time.

Should have done a dramatic profile shot or something. You coulda pulled it off man.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Two days too late.

I'm still happy with the results.

If there's one thing video games taught me, is that shotguns are more awesome if they're dual-wielded.

Dammit, between this and that Gundam Build Fighters anime you got me hooked on, you're really making me want to break out some of my old MG and HG kits I haven't touched in years and start working on them again. :argh:

PoptartsNinja posted:

The better question is: are you enjoying it?

Not addressed to me, but yes, very much so. :shobon:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

TerryLennox posted:

Not even remotely close, in that Verne is - as BMcDonough notes - what many steampunk authors are trying to evoke; it's his (sometimes pretty idealized) sense of the world that calls to them. And that ain't a bad thing, really; I don't have a problem with 'steampunk' as a genre (well, I think the genre has some problems, but I don't object to its existence, let me put it that way). It's the name that sucks.

'Steampunk' as a label is meant to invoke 'Cyberpunk,' obviously, but Cyberpunk at its roots at least made a token effort to evoke punk. Characters who are powerless before the gigantic edifice of corporate power but fight against it anyways. Characters who are broken, battered, ugly, real. The kind of antipathy towards 'utopian science fiction' you get exemplified so well in Gibson's "The Gernsback Continuum." The emphasis of the best cyberpunk was always on the outcast, the misfit, the miscreant, the dissenter. You know... the punk.

And all too often in Steampunk - and I should note that I'm sure there are exceptions to this gross generalization - the stories aren't about the misfits. They're about The Man. They're about the nobility, they're about the magical promise of technology, they're about the personification of the White Man's Burden. They're stories constructed specifically to have their female characters wear corsetry and their males wear waistcoats and pocketwatches. And there's nothing 'punk' about any of that poo poo. Even the most eccentric of steampunk characters fit into their society rather than being pushed away from it, the way a good cyberpunk character is (and the way most punks were!).

Cyberpunk is - usually, because again, I'm generalizing here - punk with some tech dumped in and the volume turned to eleven. Steampunk is to punk as Hot Topic is to the heyday of CBGB. It's what happens when goths discover brown.

(and yeah, it's a tangent - but hell, so is a Gundam discussion, and that gets us awesome model builds by PTN so I don't feel bad about it)

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

(and yeah, it's a tangent - but hell, so is a Gundam discussion, and that gets us awesome model builds by PTN so I don't feel bad about it)

Does that mean we can get a mission on a rim world that technologically backslid to the point their militia is fielding steam-powered mechs?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

No, but you can get a diesel one.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Guys you're forgetting the American Mecha show. Megax XLR

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
We will never forget.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Are diesel mechs really a thing?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Soylent Pudding posted:

Are diesel mechs really a thing?

Most industrialmechs have internal combustion engines. They weigh twice as much as fusion engines and require special amplifiers if you want to use energy weapons.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Apr 4, 2014

BMcDonough
Jul 30, 2013

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

They're stories constructed specifically to have their female characters wear corsetry and their males wear waistcoats and pocketwatches. And there's nothing 'punk' about any of that poo poo. Even the most eccentric of steampunk characters fit into their society rather than being pushed away from it, the way a good cyberpunk character is (and the way most punks were!).

Part of the problem w/pulling this off, by the way (and with really pulling off the dystopian style in general given the setting) in steampunk is that the setting itself makes it hard. Punks - the real punks - were creatures of the urban/semi-urban developed world. Cyberpunk can evoke that because 'the City' is everywhere. It's inescapable, it's omnipresent. Anywhere you go, you're still within the reach of The Man, be it the oppressive, faceless government, or oppressive, faceless corporate power.

Steampunk... the real 1865-1895 feel they want to evoke... again, it's just not there. If you're a misfit, if you don't have a place, if society rejects you in New York, in Atlanta, in Boston, in London, or Paris, or anywhere in the developed world... you can leave. You can go to the heart of Africa, to India, to China, to the American West, or the Outback.

You can go to the frontiers of civilization, where sure, modern conveniences don't exist... but 'modern' conveniences of the day aren't really all that far above the way people have been living for thousands of years. Even city-dwellers aren't all that removed from 'this is your dinner - lamb chops, it was cute and cuddly yesterday'. Freedom from The Man is there for the taking, just get up and go.

And then we're into a completely different genre of story - we're into Kipling, and Jack London, and Edgar Rice Burroughs... ERB especially! Take Tarzan, and tell him he can never again escape London. And worse, he's not a Lord, but a penniless beggar who'll be kicked and kept down... and see how he handles it. That's your Victorian-era Punk. Jekyll and Hyde, but Jekyll's not trying to escape his bestial side, he's experimented on by the Royal Medical Society.

Dickens comes close, but ultimately, Dickens suffers from the same 'it's bad apples, not a bad system' viewpoint that limits so many of the writers who come later.

drat, now I really want to try my hand at really putting the Punk into Steampunk, after I finish the piece I'm working on now. Grr.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

BMcDonough posted:

Part of the problem w/pulling this off, by the way (and with really pulling off the dystopian style in general given the setting) in steampunk is that the setting itself makes it hard. Punks - the real punks - were creatures of the urban/semi-urban developed world. Cyberpunk can evoke that because 'the City' is everywhere. It's inescapable, it's omnipresent. Anywhere you go, you're still within the reach of The Man, be it the oppressive, faceless government, or oppressive, faceless corporate power.

Steampunk... the real 1865-1895 feel they want to evoke... again, it's just not there. If you're a misfit, if you don't have a place, if society rejects you in New York, in Atlanta, in Boston, in London, or Paris, or anywhere in the developed world... you can leave. You can go to the heart of Africa, to India, to China, to the American West, or the Outback.

You can go to the frontiers of civilization, where sure, modern conveniences don't exist... but 'modern' conveniences of the day aren't really all that far above the way people have been living for thousands of years. Even city-dwellers aren't all that removed from 'this is your dinner - lamb chops, it was cute and cuddly yesterday'. Freedom from The Man is there for the taking, just get up and go.

And then we're into a completely different genre of story - we're into Kipling, and Jack London, and Edgar Rice Burroughs... ERB especially! Take Tarzan, and tell him he can never again escape London. And worse, he's not a Lord, but a penniless beggar who'll be kicked and kept down... and see how he handles it. That's your Victorian-era Punk. Jekyll and Hyde, but Jekyll's not trying to escape his bestial side, he's experimented on by the Royal Medical Society.

Dickens comes close, but ultimately, Dickens suffers from the same 'it's bad apples, not a bad system' viewpoint that limits so many of the writers who come later.

drat, now I really want to try my hand at really putting the Punk into Steampunk, after I finish the piece I'm working on now. Grr.

I don't know. The second half of the 19th century in the UK and the US is pretty much what cyberpunk has to go to great lengths to recreate. Capitalists and corporations reigned supreme, civil rights, if they existed at all, existed for the upper and middle class. In the UK, rich people bought seats in parliament and academics' votes counted twice. Indentured service was a thing. This "Go away and get your freedom" wasn't quite as easy as you make it out to be. If you take the extra step and divert from the actual 19th century to a more dystopian one, where the large corporation in fact do the voting for their workers and the poor are mercilessly press-ganged into service in the British Army to fuel colonial conquest, I think you can absolutely write proper punk.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

People in the thread posted:

Punk

I think that it's not necessarily an issue with steampunk not being punk, and more that steampunk is a misleading name for the genre. Maybe it's just me, but I'm more than fine with steampunk if you look at it from the viewpoint of it being the name that should change to fit the genre, not that the genre should change to fit the name.

There's certainly a lot of bad steampunk stuff, I can wholeheartedly agree with that. Which just goes to show that Sturgeon's Law is true.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It seems like there's one aspect everyone is missing about steampunk, and that it's not called Victorian-punk. It's not about class issues in the Victorian era, but class issues in an alternative future of the Victorian era, where electricity and biochemical energy aren't discovered/developed, so fictional steam technology has evolved in their places.

In this alternative timeline, Victorian era values/fashions remain, and steam technology has become commonplace in everyone's lives. In actuality, there wasn't much steam technology at all. Heavy industry and railroads, maybe? Beyond that, not much. But in the steampunk mythos, it's household technology, and it's everywhere, used for everything. It can still bring in what we see in good *-punk genres now - corporatization (expect a lot of coal mining companies running the show), heavier urbanization (technology lowers agricultural burden, more supporting populace for the corporate culture), and a powerless, disenfranchised under class.

Unfortunately the former part is what seems to draw most people into it, and the class issues get the left at the wayside. But I think it's a distinction that has to be made about the genres.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
It's because it's hard enough to write a good story without making incisive points about political issues.

Also, scoring political points in a fantasy world is the most wankerous thing imaginable because you can literally make everything about the world play out exactly like you want, and it's incredibly tempting to. That doesn't mean you can't have good political art; it just means that it takes a huge amount of care.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Shoeless posted:

I think that it's not necessarily an issue with steampunk not being punk, and more that steampunk is a misleading name for the genre. Maybe it's just me, but I'm more than fine with steampunk if you look at it from the viewpoint of it being the name that should change to fit the genre, not that the genre should change to fit the name.

There's certainly a lot of bad steampunk stuff, I can wholeheartedly agree with that. Which just goes to show that Sturgeon's Law is true.

The thing is, there's already a genre for "steampunk without punk": Fantasy.

BMcDonough
Jul 30, 2013

Wales Grey posted:

The thing is, there's already a genre for "steampunk without punk": Fantasy.

Or, given the setting... 'Westerns'. That whole 'age of the Iron Horse' and all.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

BMcDonough posted:

Or, given the setting... 'Westerns'. That whole 'age of the Iron Horse' and all.

I'm getting flashbacks to that dreadful Wild Wild West movie.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Sorry for the mess guys, I've been outside all this week and I'm currently posting from my phone. I can't access the google doc, so to avoid any mess with the oyher guys, I'm posting here a quote of my orders. I'll try to login again before this evening to check if everything is ok for you guys as well

quote:

Sorry for the delay and the poor format...I've got my parents visiting and it's been a bit hectic. Also, I've downloaded the maps on my smartphone, but I can't read the numbers :( Sorry for the poorly formatted orders!

I move on the back of the Stinger I've tried to shoot since the beginning (should be exactly 11movement points), I shoot him with everything and I kick him for good mesure.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Ultimatum: Tactical Update 4

“It seems as though they were listening, acting Star Commander.” Crow said in a sardonic deadpan as Tara’s Mist Lynx’s arm fell limp, then snapped off as a stream of charged particles caught her machine from the side. “Rim Worlders, if you still eavesdrop, I urge you to ignore Mechwarrior Tara’s idle boasts. She is a walking mouth that somehow became a Mechwarrior. Our combat efficacy will not be diminished if you eliminate her.”

The enemy didn’t respond, not that Crow had been expecting—or would’ve listened to—such a retort. He was certain they were listening, however, and wanted to make sure they understood how little he thought of them. As if to illustrate his prior statement, he let his crosshairs fall over an enemy Crab and burned half the armor from its left breast. The enemy machine was heavier and more heavily armored, but Crow estimated their firepower was probably fairly equal. For good measure, he raked the nearly-transparent machine with his tag and was surprised when it successfully locked on.

He was even more surprised a moment later when his radio spat, “Alpha-Nu-Tri-Em-Recon-4, this is Gamma-Iota-Bi-Vee-2. Receiving your targeting data. Are you requesting a fire mission, quineg?”

Crow’s mind whirled at the unexpected hail. “Gamma-Iota-Bi-Vee-2, what is your ETA to combat zone?”

“Neg eta,” the Freeborn tank crewman replied. “We are uncrewed. My loader and I were doing maintenance, but we are immobile. Requesting confirmation: are you requesting Alpha-4?”

Crow shut his eyes, as though trying to shut away the outside world for a few seconds so he could think. The Mechwarrior in him loathed the idea of giving kills to a mere tank, and the Trueborn in him loathed the idea of giving even a small portion of his victory to a Freeborn, no matter how helpful. Nonetheless, they were badly outnumbered and that fool Tara was as useful as an anchor on a JumpShip.

“Aff,” he grunted. “Confirming request.”

“Huitzilopochtli Iota-2, request confirmed. Arrow IV missiles inbound. ETA: 30 seconds,” his mysterious benefactor replied mechanically. Crow was almost impressed, until the Freeborn added: “Please try to have a target designated. Our Galaxy Commander loathes wasted ammunition.”

Combat Phase
Fire Moth Prime
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Stinger (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 8): rolled 9, hit Rear Right Torso (0/2 armor, 0/5 structure remains)! Torso destroyed! Engine hit! Engine hit!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Stinger (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 8): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires SRM-6 at Stinger (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 8): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires SRM-4 at Stinger (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 8): rolled 4, miss!
- Gains 19 heat, sinks 20!

Mist Lynx B
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Stinger (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 8): rolled 10, hit Left Arm (0/3 structure remains)! Arm blown off!
- - Damage transfers to Left Torso (0/8 armor, 3/5 structure remains)! Crit!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Stinger (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 8): rolled 8, hit Center Torso (0/6 structure remains)! `Mech destroyed!
- Fires ER Small Laser at Stinger (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 8): rolled 9, hit!
- Fires SRM-6 at Stinger (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 8): rolled 11, 6 missiles hit!
- Fires SRM-6 at Stinger (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 8): rolled 9, 5 missiles hit!
- Gains 22 heat, sinks 20! Overheating!

Mist Lynx D
- Target already destroyed!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 20!

Arctic Cheetah
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Crab (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System = 7): rolled 8, hit Left Torso (7/14 armor remains)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Crab (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System = 7): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires LRM-5 at Crab (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System = 7): rolled 12, 4 missiles hit Right Torso (10/14 armor remains)!
- Fires LRM-5 at Crab (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System = 7): rolled 7, 2 missiles hit Left Leg (20/22 armor remains)!
- Fires TAG at Crab (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System = 7): rolled 10, hit!
- Gains 16 heat, sinks 20!

Kit Fox
- Fires ER Large Laser at Hunchback (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 Void Signature System = 7): rolled 9, hit Rear Center Torso (0/5 armor, 11/16 structure remains)! Crit!
- Fires LB 5-X Autocannon (Cluster) at Hunchback (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 Void Signature System - 1 cluster = 6): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Streak SRM-4 at Hunchback (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 Void Signature System = 7): rolled 7, 3 missiles hit Rear Left Torso (2/4 armor remains (TAC!)), Rear Right Torso (2/4 armor remains), Rear Center Torso (9/16 structure remains (Crit!)!
- Fires Small Pulse Laser at Hunchback (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 Void Signature System - 2 pulse laser = 5): rolled 6, hit Right Arm (12/16 armor remains)! TAC!
- Gains 20 heat, sinks 20!

Unknown Assault
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Mist Lynx B (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System = 10): rolled 10, hit Right Arm (0/4 armor, 0/4 structure remains)! Limb blown off!
- - Damage transfers to Right Torso (0/7 armor remains)!
- Fires Light PPC w/PPC Capacitor (charged) at Mist Lynx B (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System = 10): rolled 11, hit Center Torso (0/10 armor remains)!
- Fires Light PPC w/PPC Capacitor (charged) at Mist Lynx B (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System = 10): rolled 9, miss!
- Gains 31 heat, sinks 32!

Thug
- Charges Heavy PPC!
- Fires Heavy PPC w/ PPC Capacitor (Charged) at Mist Lynx D (2 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 Heavy PPC + 1 Void Signature System = 10): rolled 7, missed!
- Gains 36 heat, sinks 34! Overheating!

Longbow
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1548!
- Fires LRM-20 w/Artemis IV (Artemis IV) at Kit Fox (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System + 2 light woods = 9): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires LRM-20 w/Artemis IV (Artemis IV) at Kit Fox (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System + 2 light woods = 9): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires TAG at Kit Fox (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System + 2 light woods = 9): rolled 5, miss!
- Gains 26 heat, sinks 26!

???
- ???!
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 26!

Black Knight
- Charges PPC Capacitor!
- Fires Large Laser at Kit Fox (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 3 light woods + 1 Void Signature System = 12): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Large Laser at Kit Fox (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 3 light woods + 1 Void Signature System = 12): rolled 7, miss!
- Gains 33 heat, sinks 36!

Excalibur
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Kit Fox (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 3 light woods + 1 Void Signature System = 12): rolled 8, miss!

Coyote
- Fires ER Large Laser at Clint IIC (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement - 4 immobile target + 1 Void Signature System = 1): automatically hits Center Torso (0/15 armor, 9/12 structure remains)!
- Gains 22 heat, sinks 28!

Chameleon
- Fires Large Laser at Mist Lynx D (2 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System = 12): rolled 4, miss!
- Gains 20 heat, sinks 22!

Crab
- Fires ER Large Laser at Arctic Cheetah (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System + 1 light woods = 9): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires ER Large Laser at Arctic Cheetah (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System + 1 light woods = 9): rolled 6, miss!
- Gains 34 heat, sinks 36!

Hunchback
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 0744!
- Fires Ultra AC/20 (Ultra) at Warhammer IIC (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement - 4 immobile target + 1 Void Signature System = 1): 2 shells automatically hit Rear Center Torso (0/15 armor, 20/25 structure remains), Rear Center Torso (0/20 structure remains)! `Mech destroyed!
- Gains 36 heat, sinks 22! Overheating!

Bobcat
- Fires Light PPC at Mist Lynx B (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System = 9): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires Snub-Nose PPC w/ PPC Capacitor (Drained) at Mist Lynx B (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System = 9): rolled 6, miss!
- Gains 25 heat, sinks 24! Overheating!

Talon
- Charges PPC Capacitor!
- Charges PPC Capacitor!
- Gains 20 heat, sinks 22!

Stinger
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 0921!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Fire Moth Prime (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 7): rolled 6, miss!
- Gains 7 heat, sinks 20!

Stinger
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Mist Lynx B (2 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement = 10): rolled 6, miss!
- Gains 12 heat, sinks 20!

End Phase:
- Hunchback
- Critical chance in Center Torso! 2 critical hits sustained!
- - Engine hit!
- - Engine hit!
- Through-armor critical chance in Left Torso! No critical hits sustained!
- Critical chance in Center Torso! 2 critical hits sustained!
- - Angel ECM hit!
- - Void Signature System hit!
- Through-armor critical chance in Right Arm! 1 critical hit sustained
- - Lower Arm Actuator hit!
- Must roll 3+ to avoid automatic shutdown: rolls 9, succeeds!

Physical Combat Phase:
Bobcat
- Attacks Mad Dog with Lance (3 base + 3 movement - 4 immobile target = 2): rolled 7, hit Head (0/9 armor remains)! Rolls 3, Lance fails to penetrate!

Next Turn’s Movement Phase
Hunchback
- Void Signature System deactivated by damage!
- Triple Strength Myomer activates!
- Gains Ace status!

Arrow IV Counter: 2 Turns

Special Rules
Overheat Ace: The Rim World Blackguard gain Ace status when they overheat by 10 points or more!

Blind: Enemy units are only visible in direct Line of Sight

Hidden Units: Some enemy units remain hidden until they attack. Additionally, units equipped with Void Signature Systems may expend a turn’s movement to hide themselves if they are not in direct line of sight.

Expect Surprises: When the players lose their Phase 1 units, they will gain control of a powerful Phase 2 unit. When the players lose their Phase 2 unit, they will still have a chance to influence the outcome of the battle with a weaker Phase 3 unit. Some of these units start on the map, others will enter from elsewhere.

Player Status:

Phase 1 Objectives:
- Delay the enemy for as many turns as possible
- Defend Clan HQ Vehicles (3/3 remaining)
- Defend Clan Personnel (67/84 tents remaining)
- Defend Clan Equipment (30/36 units remaining)

Phase 2 Objectives:
- Defeat as many enemy `Mechs as possible (1/39 defeated)
- Defend Clan HQ Vehicles
- Defend Clan Personnel
- Defend Clan Equipment

Phase 3 Objectives:
- Defeat as many enemy `Mechs as possible
- Defend Clan HQ Vehicles
- Defend Clan Personnel
- Defend Clan Equipment

Enemy Status:
Stinger –Structure damage
Hunchback – Armor damage

Enemy Movement Mods:
- Unknown 100-ton Assault +0
- Longbow +0
- ??? +?
- Thug +0
- Black Knight +0
- Excalibur +0
- Coyote +2
- Chameleon +2
- Hunchback ACE
- Crab +0
- Bobcat +0
- Talon +2
- Stinger +3

Orders Due: Tuesday Night!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 7, 2014

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Arrow IV's, huh? Interesting.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
You think I'd give someone TAG and not give him something to do with it?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, and the TSM turns on. That Hunchie is going to murder someone.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Well, at least if you're all horribly murdered in a minute, you'll have killed one enemy mech!

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

At least you made them waste some ammunition?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

That's s whole lot of equipment wrecked. drat lucky that lance didn't ruin that Mad Dog right then and there. TSM Aces are pretty :getin:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Please TAG something and let it be instakilled by that terrifying machine.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Wow, did I do a number on that Hunchback.

Ace huh? Just how screwed am I now, I wonder.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Pretty screwed! :v:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Pretty screwed! :v:

Sounds about right. Maybe I can take this Hunchback out first though! No Void System to screw with my targeting now!

Hold on....

By my math, the Hunchback is now at +14 Heat (Gained 36, sunk 22, according to the last update). That means that the Pilot needs to make a Skill Check to avoid shutting down. It's an easy one (3+, it seems), but it;s still that glorious 1/36 chance.

berryjon fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 7, 2014

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010
That check's in there, it's in the End Phase results.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

GenericServices posted:

That check's in there, it's in the End Phase results.

It is now. I fixed it silently to avoid exposing the fact that I hosed up! :v:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

berryjon posted:

Sounds about right. Maybe I can take this Hunchback out first though! No Void System to screw with my targeting now!

Hold on....

By my math, the Hunchback is now at +14 Heat (Gained 36, sunk 22, according to the last update). That means that the Pilot needs to make a Skill Check to avoid shutting down. It's an easy one (3+, it seems), but it;s still that glorious 1/36 chance.

It gets to move after you so you might want to be drat careful that it can't end up shoving a TSM'd lance up your rear end. It's also faster than before.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

It gets to move after you so you might want to be drat careful that it can't end up shoving a TSM'd lance up your rear end. It's also faster than before.

How much does TSM affect damage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Double. His lance is basically another AC/20 now.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 7, 2014

• Locked thread