Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I am also very excited to see what PTN does with an Ace'ed Hunchback with MASC and a UAC/20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
I think PTN has a good idea of what we will do this turn.

So I'll post my thoughts.

Basically, no matter where I move the Crab will have a decent shot with its ER LL (assuming he decides to shot at me). To reduce the chance I have two options. Firstly, to move out of short range by jumping over with the rest of my team onto the base hill and firing my weapons at the Stinger.

Pros: Joining fire with rest of team, helping to protect objectives, presenting right side to Crab. Cons: Poor options for future turns.

Secondly, moving to the south into hex 1728 and facing the Crab, using cover to reduce the chance of hits.

Pros: Firing at the already damaged left side of the Crab, excellent options for future turns. Cons: Moving away from team and objectives.

I'm leaning towards the latter, due to two issues. One, given the sole TAG I possess I want to be a position to stay alive for future turns. Two, I have long ranged weapons and can still assist from outside the main clump of mechs.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
The worst of it is that I have three viable options to take, and while one of them is 'safe', the other two put me into various levels of "Death or Glory!"

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

berryjon posted:

The worst of it is that I have three viable options to take, and while one of them is 'safe', the other two put me into various levels of "Death or Glory!"

So you're saying you have two viable options to take? :black101:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Olothreutes posted:

So you're saying you have two viable options to take? :black101:

You'll find out soon enough...! :ssh:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

berryjon posted:

One freebirth sphereoid barbarian option and two glorious Clan Warrior options. Sometimes trying to choose which of two options will maximize your chances of being posthumously inducted into the gene banks to breed the next generation of ultra-civilized super-warriors during the heat of battle can be a tough choice. I wish you the best of luck, trothkin.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Zeroisanumber posted:

One freebirth sphereoid barbarian option and two glorious Clan Warrior options. Sometimes trying to choose which of two options will maximize your chances of being posthumously inducted into the gene banks to breed the next generation of ultra-civilized super-warriors during the heat of battle can be a tough choice. I wish you the best of luck, trothkin.

Inspirational. If I lose all my weapons, I will spend the rest of the time kicking and DFAing.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

berryjon posted:

The trick here, especially since you have 3 'lives', is that your Phase 1 units should be sacrificed, but sacrificed intelligently. If you can suicide one light for an enemy assault, take it. If you can suicide a light and take down multiple enemy lights, do so.

You need to get something like a 3-1 KDR to win this 'safely', especially since Phase 3 units are probably kinda crappy, so you'll want to maximize your Phase 1 and Phase 2 damage. On the other hand, if you have a really badly wrecked machine, don't be afraid to stand still and take good TN shots so you: 1. Die and bring in more firepower, 2. Draw firepower away from your teammates.

Also, protect your TAG. Arrow IV-homing is loving amazing and you should take advantage of it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
It begins! :tinfoil:

Edit: Oh, gently caress. I just realized I've had the art for the Stingers flipped this whole time.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 9, 2014

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

This can't be good.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The theory crafting or the massive run of headshots?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yes.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

goatface posted:

The theory crafting or the massive run of headshots?

The theory crafting about the massive run of headshots. :colbert:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

AJ_Impy posted:

The theory rafting about the massive run of headshots. :colbert:

I didn't know theories could be so buoyant.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I presume shots connecting and coring the light mechs.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Artificer posted:

I didn't know theories could be so buoyant.

My theory is unsinkable! (Or is that unthinkable?)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Ultimatum: Tactical Update 5

Mere seconds from entering the battle, Star Commander Thresher was already sorely tempted to shut down his radio. The Snow Ravens bickered even more than their namesake and even defense of “the nest” wasn’t enough, it seemed, to shut them up. The pair he could see made a good formation, at least, keeping pace with a Ghost Bear Fire Moth. The machines split apart, and came together in a pincer maneuver that would’ve done the Goliath Scorpions proud. Their ploy seemed to catch the enemy Stinger by surprise, and the machine’s right arm fell away in a cloud of smoke as the myomer bundles inside caught fire.

The rearmost Snow Raven machine wasn’t so lucky, it broke formation for an instant perhaps to avoid stepping on one of the panicked technicians running back and forth across the field or perhaps simply confused by his allies’ unClanlike maneuver. The enemy didn’t give that pilot a chance to regret his moment of inattention, they simply capitalized on the suddenly-vulnerable target. The Mist Lynx’s leg simply shattered like cheap pottery as a Gauss Rifle struck it in the upper thigh, but before it could even fall another Rim Worlder shot it in the back with a PPC. The Mist Lynx toppled, likely for good.

Thresher put the other pilot out of his mind: he wouldn’t be so careless. Clan Sea Fox boasted some of the best `Mechwarriors in the alliance. Between the Sea Fox Mechwarriors, the Ghost Bear Elementals, and the Snow Raven pilots they were unbeatable. Thresher dropped his crosshairs over the enemy Stinger the instant he had a clear shot but, perhaps spooked by the sudden arrival of a machine nearly four times its own weight, the little Stinger leapt away before he could squeeze the trigger.

Combat Phase
ACE Hunchback
- Fires Ultra AC/20 (Single) at Kit Fox (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement + 2 heat = 11): rolled 7, miss!
- Gains 19 heat, sinks 22! Overheating! ACE!

Fire Moth Prime
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 0721!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Stinger (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 8): rolled 12, hit Right Arm (0/6 armor, 2/3 structure remains)! Crit!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Stinger (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 8): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires SRM-6 at Stinger (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 8): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires SRM-4 at Stinger (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 8): rolled 9, 3 missiles hit Left Torso (6/8 armor remains), Right Arm (0/3 structure remains (Arm blown off!), Left Arm (4/6 armor remains)!
- Gains 19 heat, sinks 20!

Mist Lynx B
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Stinger (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement = 9): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Stinger (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement = 9): rolled 5, miss!
- Gains 14 heat, sinks 20!

Mist Lynx D
- No orders received!
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 20!

Arctic Cheetah
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Crab (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 3 Void Signature System + 1 light woods = 9): rolled 10, hit Left Torso (0/14 armor remains)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Crab (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 3 Void Signature System + 1 light woods = 9): rolled 10, hit Right Leg (15/22 armor remains)!
- Fires LRM-5 at Crab (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 3 Void Signature System + 1 light woods = 9): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires LRM-5 at Crab (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 3 Void Signature System + 1 light woods = 9): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires TAG at Crab (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 3 Void Signature System + 1 light woods = 9): rolled 10, hit!
- Gains 16 heat, sinks 20!

Kit Fox
- Fires ER Large Laser at Longbow (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 3 Void Signature System + 1 light woods = 9): rolled 9, hit Center Torso (11/21 armor remains)!
- Fires LB 5-X Autocannon (Cluster) at Longbow (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 3 Void Signature System + 1 light woods - 1 cluster = 8): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires Streak SRM-4 at Longbow (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 3 Void Signature System + 1 light woods = 9): rolled 9, 3 missiles hit Left Leg (16/18 armor remains), Left Arm (7/9 armor remains), Right Torso (16/18 armor remains)!
- Fires Small Pulse Laser at Longbow (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 3 Void Signature System + 1 light woods - 2 pulse laser = 9): rolled 7, miss!
- Gains 30 heat, sinks 20! Overheating!

Unknown Assault
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Mist Lynx D (2 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System = 7): rolled 11, hit Left Leg (0/5 armor, 0/6 structure remains)! Leg blown off!
- - Damage transfers to Left Torso (3/7 armor remains)!
- Fires Plasma Rifle at Mist Lynx D (2 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System = 7): rolled 6, miss!
- Charges PPC Capacitor!
- Charges PPC Capacitor!
- Gains 31 heat, sinks 32!

Thug
- Charges Heavy PPC!
- Fires Heavy PPC w/ PPC Capacitor (Charged) at Mist Lynx D (2 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 Heavy PPC + 1 Void Signature System = 8): rolled 8, hit Rear Left Torso (0/5 armor, 0/6 structure remains)! TAC!
- - Damage transfers to Rear Center Torso (0/6 armor, 5/8 structure remains)! Crit!
- Gains 36 heat, sinks 34! Overheating!

Longbow
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1548!
- Fires Large Laser at Kit Fox (2 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System = 6): rolled 7, hit Left Arm (0/7 armor, 0/5 structure remains)! Limb blown off!
- - Damage transfers to Left Torso (4/7 structure remains)! Crit!
- Fires ER Small Laser at Kit Fox (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System = 8): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires ER Small Laser at Kit Fox (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System = 8): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires TAG at Kit Fox (2 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System = 6): rolled 11, hit!
- Gains 22 heat, sinks 26!

???
- Fires LRM-20 (semi-guided) at Kit Fox indirectly (2 base + 0 range + 0 movement + enemy movement modifiers ignored + spotter modifiers ignored + indirect fire modifier ignored + 1 Void Signature System = 3): rolled 11, 12 missiles hit Left Torso (0/4 structure remains (Torso destroyed! Engine hit! Engine hit!), 1 damage transfers to Center Torso (3/9 armor remains), Left Center Torso (0/9 armor, 8/10 structure remains (Crit!)), Right Arm (5/7 armor remains)!
- Fires LRM-20 (semi-guided) at Kit Fox indirectly (2 base + 0 range + 0 movement + enemy movement modifiers ignored + spotter modifiers ignored + indirect fire modifier ignored + 1 Void Signature System = 3): rolled 3, 12 missiles hit Right Torso (3/8 armor remains), Center Torso (3/10 structure remains (Crit!)), Right Leg (6/8 armor remains)!
- Gains 26 heat, sinks 26!

Black Knight
- Fires Heavy PPC w/ PPC Capacitor (charged) at Donar Attack Helicopter (2 base + 0 range + 1 movement - 4 immobile target + 1 Void Signature System = 0): automatically hits! Vehicle destroyed!
- Gains 33 heat, sinks 36!

Excalibur
- Holds fire!
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 22!

Coyote
- Fires ER Large Laser at Clint IIC (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement - 4 immobile target + 1 Void Signature System = 3): rolls 9, hits Center Torso (0/15 armor, 2/12 structure remains)!
- Gains 22 heat, sinks 28!

Chameleon
- Fires Large Laser at Mist Lynx D (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System + 2 light woods = 9): rolled 8, miss!
- Gains 20 heat, sinks 22!

Crab
- Fires ER Large Laser at Fire Moth (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System + 2 light woods = 9): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires ER Large Laser at Fire Moth (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System + 2 light woods = 9): rolled 5, miss!
- Gains 34 heat, sinks 36!

Bobcat
- Charges PPC Capacitor!
- Fires Light PPC at Mist Lynx B (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System = 7): rolled 7, hit Head (4/9 armor remains)! Pilot hit!
- Gains 20 heat, sinks 24!

Talon
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 22!

Stinger
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Fire Moth (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 6): rolled 6, hit Left Arm (0/3 armor, 1/3 structure remains)! Crit!
- Fires ER Small Laser at Fire Moth (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 6): rolled 8, hit Right Leg (1/3 armor remains)!
- Gains 9 heat, sinks 20!

End Phase:
Fire Moth Prime
- Critical chance in Left Arm! No critical hits sustained!

Mist Lynx D
- Critical chance in Center Torso! 2 critical hits sustained!
- - Gyro hit!
- - Gyro destroyed!

Kit Fox Prime
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (4 base + 1 massive damage = 5): rolled 8, succeeds!
- Critical chance in Center Torso! 2 critical hits sustained!
- - Double Heat Sink destroyed!
- - Engine destroyed! `Mech destroyed!
- Critical chance in Center Torso! 1 critical hit sustained!
- - Engine hit!

Physical Combat Phase:
Bobcat
- Attacks Mad Dog with Lance (3 base + 3 movement - 4 immobile target = 2): rolled 7, hit Head (0/3 structure remains)! `Mech destroyed!

Mist Lynx B
- Kicks Stinger (4 base + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 Clanner - 2 kick = 9): rolled 7, miss!

Next Turn’s Movement Phase
Hunchback
- Triple Strength Myomer activates!
- Gains Ace status!

Talon
- Deactivates Void Signature System!

Arrow IV Counter: 1 Turns

Special Rules
Overheat Ace: The Rim World Blackguard gain Ace status when they overheat by 10 points or more!

Blind: Enemy units are only visible in direct Line of Sight

Hidden Units: Some enemy units remain hidden until they attack. Additionally, units equipped with Void Signature Systems may expend a turn’s movement to hide themselves if they are not in direct line of sight.

Expect Surprises: When the players lose their Phase 1 units, they will gain control of a powerful Phase 2 unit. When the players lose their Phase 2 unit, they will still have a chance to influence the outcome of the battle with a weaker Phase 3 unit. Some of these units start on the map, others will enter from elsewhere.

Player Status:

Glorious Deaths

Phase 1 Objectives:
- Die Gloriously!

Phase 2 / Phase 3 Objectives:
- Defeat as many enemy `Mechs as possible (1/39 defeated)
- Defend Clan HQ Vehicles (3/3 remaining)
- Defend Clan Personnel (66/84 tents remaining)
- Defend Clan Equipment (27/36 units remaining)

Enemy Status:
Stinger –Structure damage
Hunchback – Armor damage
Longbow – Armor damage
Crab – Armor Penetrated

Enemy Movement Mods:
- Unknown Assault +0
- Longbow +0
- Longbow +0
- Thug +0
- Black Knight +1
- Excalibur +0
- Coyote +1
- Chameleon +2
- Hunchback ACE
- Crab +0
- Bobcat +0
- Talon +4
- Stinger +4

Orders Due: Saturday Night!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 9, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Not a whole lot left of either of those mechs but drat are their replacements scary. A babby Hellstar and a pair of LPLs on jets :stare: (not sure what that LB/2-X is doing there besides getting him killed).

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

dis astranagant posted:

not sure what that LB/2-X is doing there besides getting him killed

It's stock. You also missed the most important thing about that machine.

the pilot :ssh:

garland336
Feb 26, 2013

PoptartsNinja posted:

Against your dice?
I give him 3 turns, max

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Give me a Huntsman A with a Gunnery 2 pilot and I'll gently caress you up all day and night. :black101:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
What happened with the Longbow and those weird ignored modifier thingies?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

Oh I noticed, I was just commenting on the metal. Who cares about the meat unless it's too dead to drive?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Affi posted:

Does it have to do with the "semi-guided"? I don't know what that does other than my assumption it makes them hit better.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I guess you can't kick after jumping, then? Pretty sure I had that in my orders.

Goddammit, though. Seriously. Point blank range and I STILL miss with my lasers? :negative: That's horribly disappointing.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

goatface posted:

Does it have to do with the "semi-guided"? I don't know what that does other than my assumption it makes them hit better.

Semi-guided LRMs are the TAG compatible ones.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Affi posted:

Semi-guided LRMs are really good when fired indirectly against a target that's been hit with TAG. They ignore movement and the indirect fire penalties, but they're no better than normal LRMs when fired directly. They're actually more dangerous if you can't see the enemy.

Artificer posted:

I guess you can't kick after jumping, then? Pretty sure I had that in my orders.

I'll have to double check, I might've just missed them. Yup, I did, I'll fix that. When you give me all of your orders in a single sentence, it kinda blends together--which is probably my fault. I'll have to check the Pilot Primer again, I haven't looked at it in a while.

Fixed.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 9, 2014

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

PoptartsNinja posted:

That would be more comforting if he wasn't fighting an enemy force that was 2/3 all the way down to the Stingers.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
It's okay, I'm sure a 1/1 Galaxy Commander is going to hop in that Daishi and wreck everything.

...Right? :ohdear:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Another miss. :negative:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Gentlemen, do not forget to give orders to these new toys. That Wolf Spider has three chances a turn to one hit kill anything, and you've just seen what that kind of armament does to anything lighter than a solid medium. The stock huntsman A is one of the best annoying sniper mediums in the clan arsenal, very maneuverable and decently durable. Dual CLPLs on a fast chassis with a pilot that good is bad news for the opposition.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

AJ_Impy posted:

Gentlemen, do not forget to give orders to these new toys. That Wolf Spider has three chances a turn to one hit kill anything, and you've just seen what that kind of armament does to anything lighter than a solid medium. The stock huntsman A is one of the best annoying sniper mediums in the clan arsenal, very maneuverable and decently durable. Dual CLPLs on a fast chassis with a pilot that good is bad news for the opposition.

Yeessss. Actually, a hint for the Huntsman player-with a LB-2 and 2 LPLs, you actually will probably be best served taking down the lights/mediums the other guy has while everyone else goes and mobs the assaults. Clan Lights are exceptionally well-armed for their size, and many of them have pretty good throw weight. Gang up on some heavier units with your remaining lights and the Wolf Spider and bring them down while the Huntsman uses its LPLs to clear the field of the annoying lights.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

MJ12 posted:

Yeessss. Actually, a hint for the Huntsman player-with a LB-2 and 2 LPLs, you actually will probably be best served taking down the lights/mediums the other guy has while everyone else goes and mobs the assaults. Clan Lights are exceptionally well-armed for their size, and many of them have pretty good throw weight. Gang up on some heavier units with your remaining lights and the Wolf Spider and bring them down while the Huntsman uses its LPLs to clear the field of the annoying lights.

One of our remaining clan lights only has less than half of its original armament though.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Artificer posted:

One of our remaining clan lights only has less than half of its original armament though.

Stinger damage potential: 8

Damaged Mist Lynx damage potential: 14

You're fine. Stop worrying about it and take a look at your updated objectives.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You should kill that guy in 1011.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

PoptartsNinja posted:

Stinger damage potential: 8

Damaged Mist Lynx damage potential: 14

You're fine. Stop worrying about it and take a look at your updated objectives.

For the benefit of Glory!, how much can that Mist Lynx do on a charge or DFA?

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
My face when I realised the Mist Lynx didn't give orders ... ugh!

Oh well, on the plus note I'm doing just fine!

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Not a whole lot left of either of those mechs but drat are their replacements scary. A babby Hellstar and a pair of LPLs on jets :stare: (not sure what that LB/2-X is doing there besides getting him killed).

In a normal game? Keeping the BV from bloating with whatever else you might do with those 6 tons. You can see a similar effect on the Mauler; yeah 4x AC/2s seems like a bad idea, but then you realize that its BV is quite low for a 90 tonner. If you look at it and use it as a slow TL2 Heavy mech, which it is priced comparatively to, it's surprisingly good.

In this game? It's making me wish that the Huntsman had better configs. Two Clan LPLs are nice, but they're best against lighter stuff... which is at the opposite end of the map. Even at max or near-max armor, I wouldn't put much on its chances against the two Longbows and the incoming Black Knight, Coyote, and the nearby Excalibur. 5/8/5 is nice, but I would definitely use that speed to get the hell out of dodge and group up with the others. The more firepower you all can leverage at a target, the better I'd say your chances are overall. Plus, up north is where the juicy Light and Medium targets are, which you can really eat for breakfast. And lunch. Dinner. Late night snack. Second breakfast. Etc.

To change the subject, I've got a question for the thread. How useful do you rate veteran+ pilots, in general? Personally, I think they're heavily overpriced, especially after 3/4. Yes, being something like a 0/1 means you're probably not going to ever fall, and are unlikely to even with gyro and hip damage, and you're going to hit a lot. But it doesn't make your ride any more durable; your Pilot skill doesn't make you any harder to hit. Likewise, your Gunnery skill won't increase the damage your weapons do. I feel there's an effect of diminishing returns in experienced pilots, and especially when balancing by BV, it tends to not be worth it to take them. As many Clan players will tell you, your best bet is to stay at range and kite, and not close with the enemy, because you're going to be outnumbered and outarmored. This happens because, with the Veteran pilot BV on top of their better equipment BV, Clans end up paying a lot for their mechs, to the point where the meta seems to be kite as much as you can while keeping your move mods high at long range. Moonwalking, kiting with Targ Com'd ER/Pulse Large Lasers, etc.

This, I think, is largely due to the cost of the pilots. Granted, just changing the pilot BV wouldn't change that now; it won't get rid of the habits people have built up. This doesn't just apply to Clans though; it's simply that they experience it the most because their default pilot scores are Veteran. You'll get similar things happening, albeit on a less extreme scale given the lower initial BV due to a lack of clantech, with IS forces as well. But in general, I do definitely think that you're not getting your BVs worth with more experienced pilots currently. What do you all think?

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

In defense of the LB/X 2, it has a giant range. It's still overweight for how useful it actually is, and cluster rounds are basically worthless unless you absolutely need the bonus to hit. But, being able to poke people from 20+ hexes is pretty useful. You never know when 2 damage at long range will be useful.

After all, this is Battletech, the game where a 100 ton robot can be disabled by an infantryman with a katana as long as the dice go your way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

AC/2s enormous range also makes them good AA guns. LB-2Xs firing cluster rounds get a -4(!) TN and even one point of damage can make a light interceptor have to make a lawn dart roll.

• Locked thread