Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Haha, I've been reading through the thread again and just came across this gem:

AJ_Impy posted:

C. What the hell does Stefan Amaris have that could make his fronline units a force to be feared? But brutus was an honourable man, so are they all honourable men.

Well now we know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
And it only took two years to find out! (Although the introduction of the Bobcat and its kin dropped some pretty large hints.)

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
At least we got to see the Bobcat again, I think... though if we did the pilot died.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 11, 2014

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

AJ_Impy posted:

And it only took two years to find out! (Although the introduction of the Bobcat and its kin dropped some pretty large hints.)

It makes me wonder if we would have found out earlier if the NRWR options had ever won. They were available for quite a while and some even featured the Blackguards themselves as the player team.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

A few player-controlled NRWR-scenarios would be delightful, especially at this interesting junction.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I try guys, I really do--but it's not enough just to give me the weapons you're shooting. I need a target too. :smith:

In the interests of not being a total rear end in a top hat, I'm just going to pick one of the possible targets at random.

Edit: Wow, it's been so long since that hit I forgot how it worked.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 11, 2014

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Hey, maybe some Arrow IVs landed!

Not necessarily the PCs' missiles, mind you.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Time for the Pilot Hit Lottery! How many pilot hits will we take this turn?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Three! All to the same pilot!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Seven! LBX and SRMs are go!

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.
None. All that is not a pilot hit is a TAC on the engine, though.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

I try guys, I really do--but it's not enough just to give me the weapons you're shooting. I need a target too. :smith:

:ughh:

I'll guess three pilot hits.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

PoptartsNinja posted:

In the interests of not being a total rear end in a top hat, I'm just going to pick one of the possible targets at random.

This is why I paid attention in Poptart's message to me, asking that I specify not only which Mech, but to also specify in which hex the target (currently) is to help make sure that my fire lands on the target I want it to land on.

Also, guessing... Sensors?

PoptartsNinja posted:

Time for the Pilot Hit Lottery! How many pilot hits will we take this turn?

4. All on my Huntsman. ;)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Four hits on three pilots, one that leads to ruin.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Oh God.

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.
Every pilot gets headcapped simultaneously, then everyone gets crushed by a Clan warship falling out of orbit.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Vlad Antlerkov posted:

Every pilot gets headcapped simultaneously, then everyone gets crushed by a Clan warship falling out of orbit.

It's like they say, #YOBO. You never know when that could happen so live each turn to the fullest.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I don't see what all the doom-and-gloom is about, guys! I'm sure PTN is talking about headcaps being inflicted upon the enemy.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006

Voyager I posted:

I don't see what all the doom-and-gloom is about, guys! I'm sure PTN is talking about headcaps being inflicted upon the enemy.

PTN is tricky like that. I'm feeling hopeful.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
3 years in, and I think the speculation before the storm is still my favorite part of the updates.

:f5:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Ultimatum: Tactical Update 14

Technician’s Mate Iruki sat hunched over her terminal, her fingers flying over one of the keyboards that kept the Maher’s HPG aligned. In a way, she was a living terminal, an extension of the Maher itself. It was her duty to keep up-to-date on reports from a dozen different units and be ready to respond at a moment’s notice—but she found it difficult to concentrate when her chair was slick with the blood of the technician she’d hastily replaced.

It was harder still to keep her eyes on the monitor with a puncture the width of her torso less than a meter above the display and an enemy machine parked right outside. She wanted to run, to hide until the battle ended—but she’d seen the security feed. The enemy didn’t hesitate to crush Clan noncombatants underfoot. The waste of it—and the terror—was unthinkable. She’d been in battle before but never one like this.

She flinched and yelped as the armored hull of the Maher flashed from cool gray to hot orange in an instant at the instantaneous touch of the enemy’s laser. The Maher didn’t budge—the muddy plateau on which they’d chosen to bivouac had hardened into something approaching concrete, and until a few minutes ago when their first and last attempt to escape had shattered one of the Maher’s massive tracks even the Galaxy Commander hadn’t realized the danger. Well, it was obvious now. They were all going to die. Iruki was going to die. It was the ultimate truth of Clan life: everything ended. Kerensky, the Star League, the stars themselves. Nothing lasted.

Iruki just hadn’t expected her end so soon. Or to meet it so shamefully.

A strong hand—a warrior’s hand—clasped her shoulder and Iruki froze with her head turned downward, and her eyes squeezed tightly shut. Her breath shook, the ragged sound of it was suddenly deafening over the screams and explosions. The hand squeezed with a gentleness—an understanding—which she never would have expected from a member of the warrior caste. It reminded her of the last time she’d seen her father—she was twelve, and he’d been reassigned to a distant world in the Kerensky Cluster. He’d squeezed her shoulder and told her to be strong for the Clan. She’d never seen him again—but this time, she’d be the one going away.

“Open your eyes,” Galaxy Commander Ares Howe’s voice was strong and pleasant. At sixty-two years old, he was ancient by the standards of the warrior caste. A relic twelve generations obsolete. He had been a good commander, never asking for more from his technicians than they were capable of giving. Iruki respected him, and not simply out of fear.

“Face your death,” the Galaxy Commander’s tone was encouraging, his voice dominated the suddenly-silent command center. Iruki looked up at the enemy machine. The cyclopean barrel of its large laser seemed to stare back at her like the eye of something utterly alien, a huge giant incapable of comprehending the pain and fear it caused. Iruki wasn’t sure why she did it, but her hand moved—a single keystroke, and the Maher began broadcasting the Galaxy Commander’s next words back to the fleet.

“We are Snow Ravens, and we resisted to the last. Die with pride in your hearts, knowing that you served the Clans to the end! Die with hatred in your hearts, knowing that our end came not at the hands of an honorable foe but at the hands of the minions of the Usurper! All things end—but it will be up to those for whom we give our lives to see the threat of House Amaris vanquished for all time. Our legacy will live on, and we will be remembered.”

The machine outside drew back, preparing for a final strike with the massive spike which had slain Iruki’s predecessor. She didn’t look away, and Ares Howe repeated: “All things end. But we will be avenged, and the House of Amaris will end before the Clans. This I swear, on behalf of those to come. Thus we shall stand, until we all shall fall. Seyla!”

“Seyla!” a ragged, disorganized cry sprung from the lips of her fellows—warriors and technicians alike. Iruki was surprised to find her own voice among them. “Seyla,” she repeated, as the cry turned into a chant.

“Sey—”

Movement Phase
Warhawk B
- Moves out of Fire hex, gains +2 heat!

Combat Phase
Warhawk B
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Bobcat (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 0 Void Signature System + 1 EMP - 1 targeting computer = 7): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Bobcat (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 0 Void Signature System + 1 EMP - 1 targeting computer = 7): rolled 10, hit Left Torso (11/18 armor remains)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Bobcat (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 0 Void Signature System + 1 EMP - 1 targeting computer = 7): rolled 8, hit Right Arm (6/13 armor remains)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Bobcat (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 0 Void Signature System + 1 EMP - 1 targeting computer = 7): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Bobcat (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 0 Void Signature System + 1 EMP - 1 targeting computer = 7): rolled 12, hit Right Torso (11/18 armor remains)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Bobcat (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 0 Void Signature System + 1 EMP - 1 targeting computer = 7): rolled 7, hit Left Arm (6/13 armor remains)!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at Bobcat (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 0 Void Signature System + 1 EMP = 8): rolled 7, fails to lock on!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at Bobcat (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 0 Void Signature System + 1 EMP = 8): rolled 10, 3 missiles hit Left Arm (4/13 armor remains), Left Arm (2/13 armor remains), Right Leg (16/18 armor remains)!
- Gains 33 heat, sinks 40!

Vapor Eagle
- You didn’t give me any targets, but you only had line of sight to the Longbow in 1736 so that made my job easier! :v: )
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Longbow (3 base + 4 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 3 light woods + 2 Void Signature System - 1 targeting computer - 2 Pulse Laser = 12): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Stinger (target out of range!): I should fire these anyway but nope, you get to dodge the heat!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Stinger (target out of range!): I should fire these anyway but nope, you get to dodge the heat!
- Fires Streak SRM-2 at Stinger (target out of range!): automatically fails to lock on!
- Fires Streak SRM-2 at Stinger (target out of range!): automatically fails to lock on!
- Gains 16 heat, sinks 22!

Wolf Spider B
- Fires ER PPC at Phoenix (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 0 Void Signature System = 7): rolled 8, hit Rear Right Torso (0/6 armor, 3/12 structure remains)! Crit!
- Fires ER PPC at Phoenix (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 0 Void Signature System = 7): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Phoenix (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 0 Void Signature System = 7): rolled 3, miss!
- Gains 41 heat, sinks 32! Overheating!

Ebon Jaguar
- Fires ER PPC at Locust (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 7): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires ER PPC at Locust (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 7): rolled 11, hit Right Leg (0/8 armor, 0/4 structure remains)! Leg blown off! `Mech destroyed!
- - Damage transfers to Right Torso (5/8 armor remains)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Locust (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 7): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at Locust (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 10): rolled 10, 6 missiles hit Center Torso (8/10 armor remains), Left Torso (6/8 armor remains), Right Torso (3/8 armor remains), Right Torso (1/8 armor remains), Left Torso (4/8 armor remains), Right Torso (0/8 armor, 4/5 structure remains)! Crit!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at Locust (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 10): rolled 6, fails to lock-on!
- Fires TAG at Locust (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 7): rolled 11, hit!
- Gains 37 heat, sinks 40!

Huntsman A
- No line-of-sight to target!
- Gains 5 heat, sinks 24!

Unknown Assault
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Warhawk B (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 3 smoke + 1 light woods + 1 Void Signature System = 9): rolled 10, hit Right Arm (8/28 armor remains)!
- Gains 31 heat, sinks 32! Overheating!

Thug
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 0328!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Wolf Spider B (2 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 8): rolled 12, hit Right Torso (8/24 armor remains)!
- Gains 6 heat, sinks 34!

Longbow
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 0940!
- Fires LRM-20 w/ Artemis IV (Artemis) at Wolf Spider B (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods + 1 Void Signature System = 8): rolled 9, 20 missiles hit Left Arm (0/3 armor, 10/12 structure remains (Crit!)), Left Arm (5/12 structure remains (TAC!)), Left Arm (0/12 structure remains (Arm blown off!)), Left Leg (12/32 armor remains)!
- Fires Large Laser at Wolf Spider B (2 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods + 1 Void Signature System = 10): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires TAG at Wolf Spider B (2 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods + 1 Void Signature System = 10): rolled 4, miss!
- Gains 24 heat, sinks 26!

Longbow
- Fires LRM-20 w/ Artemis IV (Artemis) at Huntsman A (2 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System = 9): rolled 9, 20 missiles hit Left Arm (6/16 armor remains), Head (4/9 armor remains (Pilot hit!)), Right Leg (16/24 armor remains), Left Arm (1/16 armor remains)!
- Fires Large Laser at Huntsman A (2 base + 4 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System = 11): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires TAG at Huntsman A (2 base + 4 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System = 11): rolled 5, miss!
- Gains 24 heat, sinks 26!

Coyote
- Fires ER Large Laser at Gamma Galaxy Maher Mobile Command Center (2 base + 0 range + 0 movement - 4 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System = -1): automatically hit Right Side (17/98 armor remains)!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at Gamma Galaxy Maher Mobile Command Center (2 base + 0 range + 0 movement - 4 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System = -1 ): 6 missiles automatically hit Right Side (15/98 armor remains), Right Side (13/98 armor remains), Right Side (11/98 armor remains), Right Side (9/98 armor remains), Right Side (7/98 armor remains), Right Side (5/98 armor remains)
- Gains 26 heat, sinks 28!

Hunchback
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 22!

Phoenix
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1125!
- Fires Large Variable Speed Pulse Laser at Wolf Spider B (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement - 2 Pulse Laser = 6): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires SRM-4 (Inferno) at hex 1123! (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement - 4 enemy movement + 1 secondary target = 1): 1 missile automatically hit! Target hex ignites!
- Fires SRM-4 (Inferno) at hex 1123! (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement - 4 enemy movement + 1 secondary target = 1): 3 missiles automatically hit! Target hex ignites!
- Gains 28 heat, sinks 28!

Bobcat
- Fires Snub-Nose PPC w/PPC Capacitor (drained) at Warhawk B (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System + 1 light woods + 1 smoke = 8): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Light PPC at Warhawk B (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System + 1 light woods + 1 smoke + 1 minimum range = 9): rolled 12, hit Right Leg (13/18 structure remains)! Crit!
- Gains 31 heat, sinks 24! Overheating! ACE!

Locust
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Cauldron Born (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 smoke = 9): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Inferno SRM-2 at Cauldron Born (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 smoke = 9): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Inferno SRM-2 at Cauldron Born (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 smoke = 9): rolled 2, miss!
- Fires Inferno SRM-2 at Cauldron Born (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 smoke = 9): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Inferno SRM-2 at Cauldron Born (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 smoke = 9): rolled 5, miss!
- Gains 15 heat, sinks 20!

Locust
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 20!

Locust
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1227!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Wolf Spider B (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System = 7): rolled 12, hit Left Leg (12/32 armor remains)!
- Fires Inferno SRM-2 at Wolf Spider B (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System = 7): rolled 10, 1 missile hit! Wolf Spider B gains 2 heat!
- Fires Inferno SRM-2 at Wolf Spider B (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System = 7): rolled 11, 1 missile hit! Wolf Spider B gains 2 heat!
- Fires Inferno SRM-2 at Wolf Spider B (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System = 7): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Inferno SRM-2 at Wolf Spider B (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System = 7): rolled 7, 2 missiles hit! Wolf Spider B gains 4 heat!
- Gains 25 heat, sinks 20! Overheating!

Locust
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Wolf Spider B (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 5, miss!
- Gains 10 heat, sinks 20!

Arrow IV Salvo
- Must roll a 4+ to strike the map: rolled 6, succeeds!
- Must roll a 4+ to strike the map: rolled 7, succeeds!
- Must roll a 4+ to hit the target Locust: rolled 9, hit Right Arm (0/6 armor, 0/3 structure remains)!
- - Damage transfers to Right Torso (0/5 structure remains)! Torso destroyed! Engine hit! Engine hit!
- - - Damage transfers to Center Torso (6/10 armor remains)!
- Must roll a 4+ to hit the target Locust: rolled 9, hit Right Center Torso (0/10 armor, 0/6 structure remains)! `Mech destroyed!

End Phase:
Phoenix
- Critical chance in Right Torso! 3 critical hits sustained!
- - Double Heat Sink hit!
- - Double Heat Sink hit!
- - Double Heat Sink destroyed!

Warhawk B
- Critical chance in Right Leg! 1 critical hit sustained!
- - Lower Leg Actuator hit!
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (4 base + 1 actuator damage = 5): rolled 10, succeeds!

Huntsman A
- Must pass a 3+ consciousness test: rolled 10, succeeds!

Physical Combat Phase:
Coyote
- Attacks Gamma Galaxy Maher Mobile Command Center with Lance (3 base + 1 movement - 4 immobile target + 2 lance = 2): rolled 6, hit Left Side (0/98 armor, 0/10 structure remains)! Vehicle destroyed!

Next Turn’s Movement Phase
Locust
- Deactivates Void Signature System!

Arrow IV Counter: 2 Turn

Special Rules
Overheat Ace: The Rim World Blackguard gain Ace status when they overheat by 10 points or more!

Blind: Enemy units are only visible in direct Line of Sight

Hidden Units: Some enemy units remain hidden until they attack. Additionally, units equipped with Void Signature Systems may expend a turn’s movement to hide themselves if they are not in direct line of sight.

Expect Surprises: When the players lose their Phase 1 units, they will gain control of a powerful Phase 2 unit. When the players lose their Phase 2 unit, they will still have a chance to influence the outcome of the battle with a Phase 3 unit. Some of these units start on the map, others will enter from elsewhere.

Player Status:

Glorious Deaths

Phase 2 / Phase 3 Objectives:
- Defeat as many enemy `Mechs as possible (6/39 defeated)
- Defend Clan HQ Vehicles (2/3 remaining)
- Defend Clan Personnel (I lost count/84 tents remaining)
- Defend Clan Equipment (24/36 units remaining)

Enemy Status:
Thug – Damaged
Black Knight – Damaged
Excalibur – Damaged
Hunchback – Damaged
Longbow – Damaged, Pilot injured
Longbow – Damaged
Bobcat – Damaged
Phoenix – Damaged

Enemy Movement Mods:
- Longbow +0
- Longbow +0
- Thug +1
- Coyote +1
- Hunchback +1
- Bobcat +3
- Locust +3
- Locust +3

Orders Due: Tuesday Night!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 12, 2014

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Which 'Mech did that Arrow IV salvo hit?

Also, badass fluff.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
There is now a crater where once existed a Locust

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Preechr posted:

Which 'Mech did that Arrow IV salvo hit?

Also, badass fluff.

...Unless I'm missing something, the same Mech Kial fired everything else at. Please tell me that was the only target that the Ebon Jaguar could see.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Wow, that Huntsman B sure got hurt. Glad it wasn't my Huntsman A!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Man, that was depressing. Sucks that we can't really do anything to actually help much. :(

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Seyla.

:black101:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

So obviously there's still a fleet to send a message to...I wonder how they are faring up there?

Kial
Jul 23, 2006

Lord Koth posted:

...Unless I'm missing something, the same Mech Kial fired everything else at. Please tell me that was the only target that the Ebon Jaguar could see.

Sadly the 11 I rolled for the TAG would have hit something else, but I wanted to be sure that mech died. Best safe than sorry.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Kial posted:

Sadly the 11 I rolled for the TAG would have hit something else, but I wanted to be sure that mech died. Best safe than sorry.

Literally the smallest mech you could shoot, which was already being shot by another giant Clan mech.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006

TildeATH posted:

Literally the smallest mech you could shoot, which was already being shot by another giant Clan mech.

No one else was shooting it, and all other mechs were difficult shots. I have to make decisions based on my calculations, not what I actually roll.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Far better to overkill something than miscalculate and under kill two things.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Arcturas posted:

Far better to overkill something than miscalculate and under kill two things.

When it's a Locust, and you're already heavily outnumbered? No, it's really not far better to waste that amount of firepower. On average rolls, which he had, there was a very good chance of killing it with weapons-fire alone, which is indeed what happened. Even hitting with one PPC, it practically wouldn't matter where the Locust was hit. Anything except the CT would have been destroyed outright, with the CT being left with 1 structure remaining for a Streak to hit. Clan ER PPCs are devastating against anything, let alone a bloody 20-tonner.

That 40 damage Arrow IV salvo could have easily wiped out another Locust, or done significant damage to a heavier target.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006

Lord Koth posted:

When it's a Locust, and you're already heavily outnumbered? No, it's really not far better to waste that amount of firepower. On average rolls, which he had, there was a very good chance of killing it with weapons-fire alone, which is indeed what happened. Even hitting with one PPC, it practically wouldn't matter where the Locust was hit. Anything except the CT would have been destroyed outright, with the CT being left with 1 structure remaining for a Streak to hit. Clan ER PPCs are devastating against anything, let alone a bloody 20-tonner.

That 40 damage Arrow IV salvo could have easily wiped out another Locust, or done significant damage to a heavier target.

On average rolls I could have easily missed both PPCs. I don't appear to have the targeting computing that PTN credited me for. Hitting on 8s was my assumption.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Oh, whoops. I forgot you had one of those.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

Oh, whoops. I forgot you had one of those.

=D

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Whatever, finally something got whomped by those missile strikes :black101:

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
Should the southern mechs attempt to abandon the south? With the command centre gone there isn't much to protect anymore. Easier said than done of course.

Hidden mechs! The Phoenix is likely around 1023 somewhere, while the 100 ton is either in 217 or 219. Very annoying.

Does anyone know the likely movement speed for a 100 ton mech?

Kial fucked around with this message at 05:50 on May 12, 2014

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think we can all agree that a Locust is not the ideal target for an Arrow IV, but it's better than last time when there was no target at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Arglebargle III posted:

I think we can all agree that a Locust is not the ideal target for an Arrow IV, but it's better than last time when there was no target at all.

Seriously. He had two valid options and the right to pick 'em.

• Locked thread