Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Richard Morgan's Takeshi Kovacs books aren't bad for a bit of military super-spy action nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I actually wouldn't mind Honor Harrington if Weber didn't get so distracted describing incredibly boring things at extreme length and depth. When he sticks to the actual milwank stuff it's at least entertaining light reading.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Who's ready for Phase 3?!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Who's ready for Phase 3?!

So many glorious deaths.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

T.G. Xarbala posted:

So many glorious deaths.

It was inevitable. :negative:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
At least you keep the same paintjob!

Even better, it's an Incubus! Quick, someone tell Artificer how to utilize it!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 18, 2014

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Death is inevitable. Hail Satan.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Oh man how did I gently caress up THAT hard? :(

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Artificer posted:

Oh man how did I gently caress up THAT hard? :(

Dice

The ha ha ha nope! hit didn't help!

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Which variant are we talking? Either way it is an absurdly fast mech that can punch way above its weight.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

My mech was almost totally fine too. Ah, how unfortunate.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Artificer posted:

My mech was almost totally fine too. Ah, how unfortunate.

:BattleTech: Happens. Betting on a Headshot then.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Ultimatum: Tactical Update 16

Mechwarrior Ath had never credited bad luck as the reason he’d never won a Bloodname, in spite of two nominations and five Grand Melees. He had never once begrudged his opponents for beating him. How could he? He had no doubts about the superiority of the Clan way and the better warriors had always won. He had been outfought, outmaneuvered, and outwitted more times in his career than he cared to remember. He didn’t hate them because they’d beaten him time and time again, he didn’t hate them for his elimination from the Clan’s breeding stock.

He hated them for not killing him, time and time again. At eighty-three years old, Mechwarrior Ath was nearly 13 generations obsolete. At least once in the forty-seven years that’d passed since he’d turned thirty-five and been assigned to a Solamha unit, one of his innumerable foes could’ve had the common courtesy to kill him. His career had run the gamut from competence to obscurity until finally Ath had become a statistical outlier: He was the oldest living Clan `Mechwarrior; and he wasn’t about to consign himself to some suicidal infantry unit simply to seek a death in battle.

Death as an infantryman wasn’t enough. He was a Mechwarrior, and he’d die as one.

The number of victories he’d won for Gamma Galaxy now outnumbered those of his front-line career. The number of times he’d won when his machine had been reduced to a weaponless husk simply because his foes had been so unnerved by his implacable, furious advances and actually retreated from the field infuriated him. A Nova Cat friend—now long dead—had once said that Ath would never die because his will would never break. The universe would grind itself to nothing on his stubborn resolve, and Ath would never break.

And thus far, he hadn’t. He’d just gotten a little slower. Were it not for the deeply-ingrained wrinkles that made his dark skin resemble a white-haired tree, a man from the Inner Sphere might’ve even mistaken Ath’s strength and vitality for that of a man half his age. The shocked expressions he received from young Trueborns when they learned his true age no longer filled him with sorrow. There was only room in his desiccated heart for anger.

He knew his place in the Clan way of things: there was no place for a man his age on the front lines. So when the Rim Worlders had passed he’d disguised his machine amongst an iron-rich rock outcropping and let them pass. It was only the loss of the Command Center that had drawn him out. Even the Clans recognized such vehicles as an obvious target—and were Gamma Galaxy fighting an honorable foe they would have been honor-bound to leave the field. Ath simply was no longer content to accept that loss—or any loss—ever again. He would keep winning fights until someone finally killed him and not even the brave, foolhardy young Freeborns would duel him anymore.

Whatever the circumstance, Ath was a kind enough victor to never let one of his opponents live.

Combat Phase
Warhawk B
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 2019!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Phoenix (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 0 Void Signature System + 3 light woods + 1 smoke - 1 targeting computer = 10): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Phoenix (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 0 Void Signature System + 3 light woods + 1 smoke - 1 targeting computer = 12): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Phoenix (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 0 Void Signature System + 3 light woods + 1 smoke - 1 targeting computer = 12): rolled 11, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Phoenix (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 0 Void Signature System + 3 light woods + 1 smoke - 1 targeting computer = 12): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Phoenix (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 0 Void Signature System + 3 light woods + 1 smoke - 1 targeting computer = 12): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Phoenix (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 0 Void Signature System + 3 light woods + 1 smoke - 1 targeting computer = 12): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at Bobcat (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 0 Void Signature System + 3 light woods + 1 smoke = 13): automatically fails to lock on!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at Bobcat (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 0 Void Signature System + 3 light woods + 1 smoke = 13): automatically fails to lock on!
- Gains 33 heat, sinks 40!

Vapor Eagle
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Hunchback (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 heat - 1 targeting computer - 2 Pulse Laser = 4): rolled 5, hit Left Leg (10/20 armor remains)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Hunchback (3 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 heat - 1 targeting computer - 2 Pulse Laser = 6): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Hunchback (3 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 heat - 1 targeting computer - 2 Pulse Laser = 6): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Hunchback (3 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 heat - 1 targeting computer - 2 Pulse Laser = 6): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires Streak SRM-2 at Hunchback (3 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 heat = 9): rolled 10, 2 missiles hit Left Arm (13/16 armor), Right Arm (10/16 armor remains)!
- Fires Streak SRM-2 at Hunchback (3 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 heat = 9): rolled 10, 2 missiles hit Right Leg (16/20 armor), Center Torso (23/26 armor remains)!
- Gains 28 heat, sinks 22! Overheating!

Wolf Spider B
- Fires ER PPC at Thug (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement = 6): rolled 8, hit Center Torso (0/39 armor, 17/25 structure remains)! Crit!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Thug (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 minimum range = 7): rolled 7, hit Center Torso (2/25 armor remains)! Crit!
- Gains 17 heat, sinks 32!

Ebon Jaguar
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 0816!
- Fires ER PPC at Thug (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires ER PPC at Thug (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Thug (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Thug (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at Thug (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 11): rolled 10, fails to lock-on!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at Thug (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 11): rolled 12, 4 missiles hit Right Torso (1/25 armor remains), Center Torso (0/25 structure remains (`Mech Destroyed!)), Center Torso, Right Torso (0/25 armor, 16/17 structure remains (Crit!))!
- Fires TAG at Thug (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 11): rolled 6, miss!
- Gains 42 heat, sinks 40!

Huntsman A
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Longbow (2 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 Pulse Laser = 5): rolled 8, hit Right Leg (8/18 armor remains)!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Longbow (2 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 Pulse Laser = 5): rolled 12, hit Left Leg (8/18 armor remains)!
- Fires LB 2-X Autocannon (slug) at Longbow (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement = 5): rolled 8, hit Left Torso (6/18 armor remains)!
- Fires LRM-10 at Longbow (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement = 5): rolled 6, 4 missiles hit Left Torso (2/18 armor remains)!
- Gains 30 heat, sinks 24! Overheating!

Thug
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Wolf Spider B (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 2): automatically hit Left Torso (18/24 armor remains)!
- Gains 6 heat, sinks 34!

Longbow
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 0637!
- Fires Large Laser at Vapor Eagle (2 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement = 5): rolled 7, hit Left Arm (0/16 armor, 7/9 structure remains)! Crit!
- Fires ER Small Laser at Vapor Eagle (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement = 7): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires ER Small Laser at Vapor Eagle (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement = 7): rolled 8, hit Right Leg (6/24 armor remains)!
- Fires TAG at Vapor Eagle (2 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement = 5): rolled 11, hit!
- Gains 12 heat, sinks 26!

Longbow
- Fires LRM-20 w/ Artemis IV (semi-guided) at Vapor Eagle (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + enemy movement ignored + 1 partial cover + 1 Void Signature System = 5): rolled 7, 16 missiles hit Right Arm (11/16 armor remains), Right Arm (6/16 armor remains), Left Arm (2/9 structure remains (Crit!)), Center Torso (7/28 armor remains)!
- Gains 16 heat, sinks 26!

Excalibur
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Huntsman A (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement + 3 light woods + 1 Void Signature System = 11): rolled 5, miss!
- Gains 11 heat, sinks 22!

Coyote
- Fires Snub-Nose PPC w/ PPC Capacitor (charged) at Vapor Eagle (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 7): rolled 9, hit Left Leg (7/22 armor remains)!
- Fires ER Large Laser at Vapor Eagle (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 9): rolled 4, miss!
- Gains 39 heat, sinks 28! Overheating! ACE!

Hunchback
- Fires Ultra AC/20 (Ultra) at Vapor Eagle (2 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement = 8): rolled 9, 1 shell hit Center Torso (0/28 armor, 5/18 structure remains)! Crit!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Vapor Eagle (2 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement = 8): rolled 7, miss!
- Gains 22 heat, sinks 22!

Phoenix
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1022!
- Fires Large Variable Speed Pulse Laser at Warhawk B (2 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 3 light woods + 1 Void Signature System - 2 pulse laser = 9): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires SRM-4 (SRM) at Warhawk B (2 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 3 light woods + 1 Void Signature System = 11): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires SRM-4 (SRM) at Warhawk B (2 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 3 light woods + 1 Void Signature System = 11): rolled 7, miss!
- Gains 28 heat, sinks 30!

Locust
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 20!

Arrow IV Salvo
- Must roll a 4+ to strike the map: rolled 7, succeeds!
- Must roll a 4+ to strike the map: rolled 10, succeeds!
- Explodes Harmlessly in Midair!
- Explodes Harmlessly in Midair!

End Phase:
Vapor Eagle
- Must roll a 4+ to avoid automatic shutdown! Rolls 4, succeeds!
- Critical chance in Left Arm! No critical hit sustained!
- Critical chance in Left Arm! No critical hit sustained!
- Critical chance in Center Torso! 2 critical hits sustained!
- - Gyro hit!
- - Gyro destroyed! `Mech destroyed!

Physical Combat Phase:
???
- Attacks Alpha Galaxy Maher Mobile Command Center with Lance (2 base + 1 movement - 4 target movement = -1): automatically hit Front (78/98 armor remains)! Rolls 11, armor penetrated (9/10 structure remains)!

Coyote
- Attacks Jenner IIC with Lance (2 base + 2 movement - 4 target movement = 0): automatically hit Head (0/9 armor, 0/3 structure remains)! `Mech destroyed!

End Phase:
Alpha Galaxy Maher Mobile Command Center
- Critical chance in Front! Sensors destroyed!

Arrow IV Counter: 2 Turn

Special Rules
Overheat Ace: The Rim World Blackguard gain Ace status when they overheat by 10 points or more!

Blind: Enemy units are only visible in direct Line of Sight

Hidden Units: Some enemy units remain hidden until they attack. Additionally, units equipped with Void Signature Systems may expend a turn’s movement to hide themselves if they are not in direct line of sight.

Expect Surprises: When the players lose their Phase 1 units, they will gain control of a powerful Phase 2 unit. When the players lose their Phase 2 unit, they will still have a chance to influence the outcome of the battle with a Phase 3 unit. Some of these units start on the map, others will enter from elsewhere.

Player Status:

Glorious Deaths

Phase 2 / Phase 3 Objectives:
- Defeat as many enemy `Mechs as possible (8/39 defeated)
- Defend Clan HQ Vehicles (2/3 remaining)
- Defend Clan Personnel (I lost count again, thanks smoke! :argh: )
- Defend Clan Equipment (23/36 units remaining)

Enemy Status:
Black Knight – Damaged
Excalibur – Damaged
Hunchback – Damaged
Longbow – Damaged, Pilot injured
Longbow – Damaged
Phoenix – Damaged

Enemy Movement Mods:
- Unknown Assault +1
- Longbow +0
- Longbow +0
- Black Knight +1
- Excalibur +0
- Coyote +1
- Crab +2
- Chameleon +2
- Chameleon +2
- Hunchback +0
- Phoenix +2
- Locust +4

Orders Due: Tuesday Night!

Did you think I was actually sadistic enough to give someone an Incubus when the odds are this stacked against the players? Say hello to the first representative of the “Amaris! GET OFF MY DAMNED LAWN!” wave

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
2/2 Kraken. With half-decent sightlines you'll be able to murder anything and everything until your ammo gives out. You're slow as cold tar so careful that you're not outmaneuvered.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Okay, Mechwarrior Ath is my new favorite already.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yesssss wave three is going to be bad rear end. :black101: to the bank!

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Jesus. If I was the rimworlders I'd just surrender now. A 2/2 LRM Bane (the clan name is dumb) should be able to murder a mech a turn.

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

PoptartsNinja posted:

Did you think I was actually sadistic enough to give someone an Incubus when the odds are this stacked against the players? Say hello to the first representative of the “Amaris! GET OFF MY DAMNED LAWN!” wave

Yes. Yes I would.

Anyways, find a target and press the "FIRE ALL OF THE MISSILES" button. Exploit the fact that Clan LRMs have no minimum range, and dump missiles into whatever you can easily hit. You have to worry a little bit about heat, but don't let that stop you from giving a target a full fireworks display to the face if you can sink the heat or need to get it down.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I have a good mech it seems, but I really wish I had lasted longer in my Vapor Eagle. Nothing I could've really done about that though. Maybe I shouldn't have put myself so far forward...?

Edit: I kept up movement mods and everything. I guess I should have stayed closer to the Huntsman or in forests or something? I feel like I should have done better somehow.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 19, 2014

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Artificer posted:

I have a good mech it seems, but I really wish I had lasted longer in my Vapor Eagle. Nothing I could've really done about that though. Maybe I shouldn't have put myself so far forward...?

You jumped into an enemy sweet-spot trying to get your own Large Pulse Laser's short range. Six hexes is medium range for the AC/20, and you were at exactly nine hexes from the Coyote so it was (willing and) able to hit you with the charged SNPPC.

It still wasn't a bad choice, the dice just decided they didn't like the looks of your gyro.

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Sometimes you just get unlucky.

The more shots against you, the bigger chance you have to get killed by bad luck. And there's plenty of guns on the other side to run the numbers against you.

Edit: Oh, also that. I didn't see that, whoops. Either way, better luck next time.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

UNLEASH THE KRAKEN :krakken:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Ba Donk a Bonk posted:

The more shots against you, the bigger chance you have to get killed by bad luck. And there's plenty of guns on the other side to run the numbers against you.

I'm also not pulling punches in this mission anymore. Enemies can and will focus fire.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
It's okay, Artificer. Sometimes the dice just decide they hate you and there's nothing to do but accept it and move on.

For now, you should familiarize yourself with your new machine's controls:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

W.T. Fits posted:

It's okay, Artificer. Sometimes the dice just decide they hate you and there's nothing to do but accept it and move on.

For now, you should familiarize yourself with your new machine's controls:

I don't understand why those first two buttons are there.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

berryjon posted:

I don't understand why those first two buttons are there.

In case he bids away the use of the last one, duh. :colbert:

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Even better, it's an IncubusKRAKEN! Quick, someone tell Artificer how to utilize it!

Congratulations, MechWarrior! Due to a minor tragedy involving a TAC, you're now the proud owner of the Kraken-3, known colloquially as the "Bane" because it violates all the unspoken rules of civility in this game and exploits Clan technology to its hilt.

Your new ride holds eight Clan LRM-15 launchers, one of the munchiest weapons this system has to offer! Half the weight of its Inner Sphere counterpart, these beauties are also somewhat longer ranged. The delicious slice of cheddar on top is that cLRMs have no minimum range! You can walk right into a Rim Worlder's face and unload without any pesky aiming penalties! They also don't generate much heat. You dissipate 38 heat a round, and firing everything while running generates just 42, it's almost insultingly easy to run this 'Mech's heat curve. Literally the only downside to the cLRM is that it's ammo-based, and the Kraken totes an absolutely ridiculous SIXTEEN tons of ammo. That works out to sixteen shots per launcher. Given the intensity of the battle, you'll be smoking wreckage before you run those out, so feel free to take iffy shots (I'm think 10s, 12s still aren't likely to be worth it unless you're desperate).

Are there weaknesses in your ridiculous cheese-machine of doom? Yes. One, your weapons are all in the arms. Lose an arm, lose half your guns. Two, your torsos are ENORMOUS BOMBS. You have eight slots' worth of ammo in each one, and the remaining two crits are from your XL engine. A crit on your torso has a 4/5 chance of blowing off half your 'Mech, and a 1/5 chance of an engine hit. CASE will prevent you from being killed outright, but it'll still ruin your day. You're also not enormously fast.

Normally there would be advice here about firing on 'Mechs with open armor to look for crits, the standard thing with cluster weapons like LRMs, but let's be serious, your 'Mech's warload can practically erode terrain features.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

To add to what's already been said, and re-emphasizing the fact that you are SLOW and an easy target, PTN just said that he's quite willing to focus fire now. You can do a tremendous amount of damage, but are a relatively easy target, and that makes you a high priority. You're high up, but have multiple terrain heights around you so pay attention to them. Try and use them to only have only a few targets visible at a time, so multiple otherwise unengaged targets aren't taking long-range potshots with gauss rifles and PPCs. Getting off that hill could work to that purpose as well, despite the good sight lines. They do, after all, work in both directions, and it would get you into lower range brackets as well.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
Good lord so many enemies on the field.

The poor Huntsman. Run away!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Holy poo poo it's a Kraken.

:krakken:
:corsair:

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
First of all WOO KRAKEN WOO!

Second of all, I will basically never not recommend Glen Cook (and Banks, but Cook's done some proper milwanky scifi sooo...) but his The Dragon Never Sleeps and Passage at Arms. Arms is great because it's basically Das Boot but in space.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

the JJ posted:

First of all WOO KRAKEN WOO!

Second of all, I will basically never not recommend Glen Cook (and Banks, but Cook's done some proper milwanky scifi sooo...) but his The Dragon Never Sleeps and Passage at Arms. Arms is great because it's basically Das Boot but in space.

caveat: Avoid Glen Cook's Garrett PI series.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

legoman727 posted:

Okay, Mechwarrior Ath is my new favorite already.

No kidding, I would read an 8 book series about a bitter grandpa-mechwarrior trying to die in combat.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I for one approve of all the older Clanners PTN is throwing in.

Edit: Okay, looks like we have at least two more Chameleons and a Crab in terms of reinforcements up north. Lots of Large/ER Large Lasers are coming your way.

Scintilla fucked around with this message at 07:30 on May 19, 2014

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Affi posted:

I wish there were good sci-fi books. I mean.. some WH40k are okay/good. Starship Troopers is good. But I can't think of anything else. (Except PTN's alternate universe BT)
Forever War by Joe Haldeman has a special place on by bookshelf (it even is milwank-y).

Thanatz posted:

Everything by Iain M. Banks.
And this. The correct answer is always "read more culture novels" (until you run out :()

Nektu fucked around with this message at 07:57 on May 19, 2014

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Promoting milporn scifi without mentioning Jerry Pournelle is some kind of crime.

You might start with Janissaries, since it's apparently being made into a film.

I'm not a huge fan of Pournelle, mind you: milporn isn't my bag, and I find his politics extremely objectionable. But I am a huge fan of the multiple amazing collaborations between Pournelle and Larry Niven; the two complement eachother brilliantly and I've never read a Niven/Pournelle I didn't enjoy.

Another author worth mentioning is Keith Laumer (perhaps most famous for his quite amusing Retief books); but you should start with his BOLO books, which are about AI tanks.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Also, watch out; that assault by the northern command vehicles might be a different one than before. This one has a lance where the other one didn't. Better pray it doesn't have Triple Strength Myomer, or it'll deal 40 damage on a hit.

Edit: I'll keep updating the list on page 1101 in case any of the players want to reference it.

Scintilla fucked around with this message at 07:55 on May 19, 2014

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Great update!

It's 31/89 Tents.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Promoting milporn scifi without mentioning Jerry Pournelle is some kind of crime.

You might start with Janissaries, since it's apparently being made into a film.

I'm not a huge fan of Pournelle, mind you: milporn isn't my bag, and I find his politics extremely objectionable. But I am a huge fan of the multiple amazing collaborations between Pournelle and Larry Niven; the two complement eachother brilliantly and I've never read a Niven/Pournelle I didn't enjoy.

Another author worth mentioning is Keith Laumer (perhaps most famous for his quite amusing Retief books); but you should start with his BOLO books, which are about AI tanks.

:psyduck:
How? Why?

I mean it's a decent enough book, and I can see it being an interesting concept for film, but are directors just randomly browsing through old sci-fi novels for their next movie now? And though he's a reasonably well known sci-fi author, there are other, significantly better known, ones with no movies, like the aforementioned Niven or Anderson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The downside is you look like an idiot!

• Locked thread