Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Not sure if it's the same with everyone, but my version of MegaMekLab only lets you assign ammunition for missile-based weaponry where Battle Armour is concerned. Ballistic weapons don't seem to give you the option to select ammo, and neither do anti-Personnel weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

PTN,
how long is this NRWR light battlesuit contest open for?
I've got a basic idea, just need to know how much time I have to submit my entry.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Scintilla posted:

Not sure if it's the same with everyone, but my version of MegaMekLab only lets you assign ammunition for missile-based weaponry where Battle Armour is concerned. Ballistic weapons don't seem to give you the option to select ammo, and neither do anti-Personnel weapons.

That's because ballistic weapons are considered to have "enough" ammo, where Battle Armor and Infantry are concerned. Riflemen can't run out of bullets. Battle Armor can't run out of King David Gauss slugs.

Contest will be open for a while, probably I'll close it when I stop getting submissions.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
What program are you guys using? This MegaMekLab?

I've got a design but I have no idea how to get the BV and so forth.

Edit. Yup, MegaMekLab! Awesome.

Kial fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 14, 2014

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I’m planning to either move straight up ahead, or make a beeline towards the Command Vehicles by moving ahead a hex, then turning to face 2123, and then just running straight forward from there. Thoughts?

I want to attack that Crab but at the same time the CVs remain our objectives and the Kodiak is next deep in hostile mechs already and I want to help. Suggestions?

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Scintilla posted:

That's because non missile non artillery weapons in Battle Armor do not track ammunition or heat or anything in Battletech board combat. Ammo is only relevant for RPG gameplay.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
Disclaimer, my Battletech fluff knowledge is close to zero!

Caelus Battle Armour

BV: 319
Cost: 3,410,000

Movement: 1/1/3 Internal: 5 Armor: 25 BA Stealth (Basic)

Internal Armor
--------------------------------------
Trooper 1 1 5
Trooper 2 1 5
Trooper 3 1 5
Trooper 4 1 5
Trooper 5 1 5

Weapon Loc Heat
----------------------------------------
Swarm Mek Squad 0
Attack Swarmed Mek Squad 0
Stop Swarm Attack Squad 0
Leg Attack Squad 0
Magshot (Left arm) Squad 0

Equipment Loc
----------------------------------
Space Operations Adaptation (Body) Squad
Improved Sensors (Right arm) Squad
Battle Vibro Claw (Right arm) Squad
Handheld Searchlight (Right arm) Squad

The Caelus Battle Armour was designed by the New World Rim Republic to combat the approaching threat of the Clan invasion in the vital space theatre. Incorporating a triple jump jet combined with typical space operations adaptations enables maximum maneuverability. The difficulties of sensor use in space is boosted with stealth armour modifications, while the Caelus uses improved sensors to offset those issues and identify its targets. For weapons the Caelus mounts the effective MagShot Gauss Rifle, a powerful weapon in a zero gravity environment. This long range weapon is backed up in close by a single Vibro Claw, a highly effective weapon against other Battle Armours and Mechs. Furthermore, the damage an undefended ship can take from a squad of Caelus Battle Armours cannot be ignored. Though the lack of anti-personal weapons makes boarding actions difficult, exposed weapons and other equipment can be easily destroyed.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

Artificer posted:

I’m planning to either move straight up ahead, or make a beeline towards the Command Vehicles by moving ahead a hex, then turning to face 2123, and then just running straight forward from there. Thoughts?

I want to attack that Crab but at the same time the CVs remain our objectives and the Kodiak is next deep in hostile mechs already and I want to help. Suggestions?

Hostile 'Mechs will be coming over the hill behind you relatively soon. You might want to make your decisions with that in mind.

Also, if you want to run toward the command vehicles, moving north a hex before turning northwest actually increases the time to get there. You would have to make a turn upon hitting the 'Mech in 1520, putting you in 1521 facing southwest at the cost of ten MP (two full turns of movement). Running along the straight line there, despite the woods, costs nine and has you facing northwest still.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
I also can't get MML to work properly for me. I have no idea if my concept is workable, but my intent was to design a squad with LRM launchers and semi-guided missiles and stealth. Five suits with LRM-4 or four with LRM-5 could pretend to be indirect-firing mechs, allowing the battle armor to misdirect enemies from stealthed assaults or other NRWR mechs.

Name: the Fauxbow.

A bit frivolous, I know, but I'm still kicking myself for not offering up my Salaryman mech idea after the Counting Coup scenario.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Narsham posted:

I also can't get MML to work properly for me. I have no idea if my concept is workable, but my intent was to design a squad with LRM launchers and semi-guided missiles and stealth. Five suits with LRM-4 or four with LRM-5 could pretend to be indirect-firing mechs, allowing the battle armor to misdirect enemies from stealthed assaults or other NRWR mechs.

Name: the Fauxbow.

A bit frivolous, I know, but I'm still kicking myself for not offering up my Salaryman mech idea after the Counting Coup scenario.

I'll make that for you! Tragically, due to the weight of the LRMs it's slow and can't mount non-antipersonnel weapons, so it needs close range defenses. Two infantry weapons let it sort of hurt things in close range though!

code:
Fauxbow Narsham
IS TW non-box set

BV: 182
Cost: 1,152,000 C-bills

Movement: 1/1
(Burdened by unjettisoned body-mounted missile launchers)

Internal: 4
Armor: 16
                     Internal    Armor
Trooper 1                   1        4
Trooper 2                   1        4
Trooper 3                   1        4
Trooper 4                   1        4

Weapon                         Loc  Heat
LRM 4 (Body)                   Squad     0
Swarm Mek                      Squad     0
Attack Swarmed Mek             Squad     0
Stop Swarm Attack              Squad     0
Leg Attack                     Squad     0
Mauser 960 Assault System (APM) Squad     0

Ammo                           Loc Shots
BA LRM 4 Ammo                  Squad     4

Equipment                      Loc
Battle Claw (Left arm)         Squad
BA Stealth (Basic) (Left arm)  Squad
BA Stealth (Basic) (Right arm) Squad
BA Stealth (Basic) (Left arm)  Squad
Battle Claw (Right arm)        Squad
Anti Personnel Weapon Mount (Right arm) Squad

MJ12 fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jun 15, 2014

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

MJ12 posted:

I'll make that for you! Tragically, due to the weight of the LRMs it's slow and can't mount non-antipersonnel weapons, so it needs close range defenses. Two infantry weapons let it sort of hurt things in close range though!

Interesting. What's the weight class on those, Light? It may be worth going up to Medium just to get the tonnage for some JJs; 1/1 is very slow, especially if the NRWR doesn't have omnis (though they may have developed the ability to put grab bars on normal mechs. The incredibly high-tech solution that even by the Dark Ages still eludes all factions in canon. :doh:). Yes they can transport them via a vehicle with an infantry bay, but some level of independant mobility would probably be good, especially once they run out of ammo and jettison the launchers.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Shoeless posted:

Interesting. What's the weight class on those, Light? It may be worth going up to Medium just to get the tonnage for some JJs; 1/1 is very slow, especially if the NRWR doesn't have omnis (though they may have developed the ability to put grab bars on normal mechs. The incredibly high-tech solution that even by the Dark Ages still eludes all factions in canon. :doh:). Yes they can transport them via a vehicle with an infantry bay, but some level of independant mobility would probably be good, especially once they run out of ammo and jettison the launchers.

The contest requirements were for light battle armor, so yeah, light. Heavy would actually be best here, so you could make them Run 2 (remember, these are IS battle armors-you can't jump with missile launchers for IS BA) and give them a few self-defense weapons like LMGs and Small Lasers.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
And finally here's my attempt at light battlearmor, pyro style.
code:
Tick Light BattleArmor
 Mixed (Base IS)

BV: 230
Cost: 2,760,000 C-bills

Movement: 1/1/3

Internal    Armor

SRM 2 (Left arm) (Clan)        Squad     2
Flamer (Right arm) (Clan)      Squad     3

Ammo                           Loc Shots
BA SRM 2 (Clan) Inferno Ammo   Squad     1

BA Stealth (Basic) (Body)      Squad
Improved Sensors (Right arm) (Clan) Squad
Battle Magnetic Claw (Left arm) Squad
Battle Magnetic Claw (Right arm) Squad
Designed as a simple counter to heavy or assault mechs with limited anti-personnel capability, the Tick was created to be used in concert with other units capable of raising the temperature of hostile mechs and exploiting the tendency of Clan mechs on long deployments to use a higher degree of energy weapons than is typical. The Tick lacks appreciable ground speeds, however the overly generous jump jet capabilities with the modest stealth abilities diminishes the risk of close range fire to the Battlearmor's modest defenses.

Unfortunately the lack of longer range firepower does restrict the usefulness of this particular prototype to urban or varied topographies since long range direct or indirect fire has been seen, in test cases, to lead to a sudden drop in personnel lifespan.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's because ballistic weapons are considered to have "enough" ammo, where Battle Armor and Infantry are concerned. Riflemen can't run out of bullets. Battle Armor can't run out of King David Gauss slugs.

Cool. That actually makes them a lot more viable, particularly given their generally lighter weight in comparison to energy weapons.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

oops

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jun 15, 2014

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

MJ12 posted:

The contest requirements were for light battle armor, so yeah, light. Heavy would actually be best here, so you could make them Run 2 (remember, these are IS battle armors-you can't jump with missile launchers for IS BA) and give them a few self-defense weapons like LMGs and Small Lasers.

Oh crap, I missed the part about it having to be Light. I was tinkering with a Light already, but good to know I can't go higher. Also, page number for the rule on IS BA not being able to jump with missiles? Cause the Raiden has an MRM variant that still jumps, and indeed the original Raiden jumps and has a OS SRM. And really, if you are going for a long range LRM support BA, you probably don't want to giv eup tonnage on something like a small laser or even an LMG, since AP mounts aren't heavy and a Mauser is pretty darn powerful, even just 4-6 of them.

That being said, since the LRMs are in a jettisonable pack, wouldn't they be able to make use of jump MP after they run out of ammo and ditch the launcher?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
It being Light-only is the main reason I used Improved Stealth armour rather than Mimetic for my design. Having only eight critslots to work with means you only have one free slot if you use Mimetic as opposed to the three you get with Improved Stealth. Gotta have room for at least some equipment. :v:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

code:
Barn Owl BattleArmor
 Mixed (Base IS)

BV: 145
Cost: 4,500,000 C-bills

Movement: 3/3/5

Internal: 6
Armor: 18
                     Internal    Armor
Trooper 1                   1        3
Trooper 2                   1        3
Trooper 3                   1        3
Trooper 4                   1        3
Trooper 5                   1        3
Trooper 6                   1        3

Light TAG (Left arm)           Squad     0
Mauser 1200 LSS (APM)          Squad     0

Partial Wing (Body)            Squad
BA Stealth (Improved) (Body)   Squad
BA Stealth (Improved) (Left arm) Squad
BA Stealth (Improved) (Right arm) Squad
Improved Sensors (Right arm)   Squad
Armored Glove (Left arm)       Squad
Armored Glove (Right arm)      Squad
The Barn Owl is a dedicated spotter and infiltration platform that's far from helpless if it gets caught. Stealth armor prevents detection until it is ready to strike. The partial wing and powerful jumpjets allow the squad to leap from vantage point to vantage point with ease and carry out lightning fast attacks with the Mauser Light Support System or TAG priority targets for heavier assets.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jun 15, 2014

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
Ops, I missed the 'light' part as well. Better do a revamp.

I actually like the light version, more flexible.

code:

Caelus Light BattleArmor
Inner Sphere

BV: 207
Cost: 2,786,000 C-bills

Movement: 1/1/3

Internal    Armor
Trooper 5                   1        4

Swarm Mek                               Squad     0
Attack Swarmed Mek                      Squad     0
Stop Swarm Attack                       Squad     0
Leg Attack                              Squad     0
David Light Gauss Rifle (Left arm)      Squad     0
Automatic Shotgun (APM) (Right arm)     Squad     0

BA Stealth (Basic) (Body)               Squad
Improved Sensors (Left arm)             Squad
Battle Vibro Claw (Right arm)           Squad
Space Operations Adaptation (Body)      Squad
Handheld Searchlight (Right arm)        Squad

Designed for space operations by the New Worlds Rim Republic, the Caelus incorporates a triple jump jet to enables maximum maneuverability. The difficulties of enemy sensor use in space is boosted with stealth armour modifications, while the Caelus uses improved sensors to offset those issues and identify its targets. For weapons the Caelus mounts the effective David Light Gauss Rifle, a powerful weapon in a zero gravity environment. This is backed up in close combat by a single Vibro Claw for anti Mech and ship attacks, and a single automatic shotgun for boarding actions.

Kial fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 15, 2014

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

The Barn Owl is a dedicated spotter and infiltration platform that's far from helpless if it gets caught. Stealth armor prevents detection until it is ready to strike. The partial wing and powerful jumpjets allow the squad to leap from vantage point to vantage point with ease and carry out lightning fast attacks with the Mauser Light Support System or TAG priority targets for heavier assets.

You've got a couple errors in there somewhere. You cannot get jump 5 with BA. 3 jump base and Partial Wing only gives 4 jump MP. Also the AP Mount does take up a slot, so you're 1 slot over.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Shoeless posted:

You've got a couple errors in there somewhere. You cannot get jump 5 with BA. 3 jump base and Partial Wing only gives 4 jump MP. Also the AP Mount does take up a slot, so you're 1 slot over.

MML seems to think that BA partial wing lets you cram on a 4th point. The AP mount isn't required because the troopers are literally just holding the gun in armored gloves, which let you do anything you can do with your hands normally just with some slight power assist. If the MP is a tool error just stick the extra weight in armor because it has nowhere else to go.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jun 15, 2014

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I ignored almost all of the requirements, because it works better this way.

pre:
Sea Devil Sharkhunter Exoskeleton 
Mixed (Base Clan) (I needed this for the UMU)
BV: ~13 (?)
Cost: ~500,000 CB? Depends on the options that the dealer convinces you you need.
Source: Alcohol

Squad Size: 1 (Unless you're some sort of coward)

Movement: 1/1/0/3

Internal: 1
Armor: 2 BA Standard

Weapons	                  Loc     Heat
Flare Pistol (APM) (IS)	 Point	   0
Laser Pistol (APM) (IS)	 Point	   0
Elephant Gun (APM) (IS)	 Point	   0
Harpoon (APM) (IS)       Point     0
Swarm Mek (IS)  	 Point	   0
Attack Swarmed Mek (IS)	 Point	   0
Stop Swarm Attack (IS)	 Point	   0
Leg Attack (IS)	         Point	   0

Equipment	                         Loc
Armored Glove (Left arm)	        Point
Armored Glove (Right arm)         	Point
Extended Life Support (Body)	        Point
Handheld Searchlight (Right arm)	Point
Anti Personnel Weapon Mount (Right arm)	Point
Anti Personnel Weapon Mount (Left arm)	Point
Anti Personnel Weapon Mount (Left arm)	Point
Heat Sensor (Left arm)          	Point
For the ultimate in sport fishing, the supreme one-on-one fight against nature experience, Sea Devil ltd. bring you the Sharkhunter. Equipped with Underwater Manoeuvring Units (UMU) based on the most up-to-date and experimental military equipment our tech-wizards have personally salvaged from the front lines, the Sharkhunter offers unparalleled underwater mobility that you cannot find in any other product. Our military-grade heat sensors will pick out a new target through even the cloudiest waters, and our UMU systems mean that it won't get away. Capable of maintaining a speed of over 32 kph in open water, you can overhaul anything in the sea allowing you to swiftly move between targets and keep your blood pumping. We know that you're in demand and even holiday time is short, so we include as standard the extended life support package that other companies would charge a premium for, because we know that you want to spend the maximum time in the water.

Whatever your personal preferences are, the array of standardised personal weapon mounts mean you can equip the Sharkhunter with whatever armoury you need for maximum exhilaration. Our standard load-out for sport-fishing is a titanium tipped harpoon so you can go mano-a-mano with nature, a back-up laser pistol for situations where things get a little too hairy, and a classic Elephant Gun for the hunting of coastal beasts when they lead you up onto land. Equipped with body armour that will deflect all but the most determined assaults, you can swim with even the mightiest predators with confidence, and we even include a standard flare gun to alert your support crew when you need a pick up or a reload.

The Sharkhunter from Sea Devil ltd. Reclaim the seas.

goatface fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 15, 2014

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

goatface posted:

The Sharkhunter from Sea Devil ltd.

I'll take three! You never know when you might be ambushed by Great White Trouts when you're sailing on the high seas of New St. Andrews Andurien.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I like your style. But, since it's the NRWR, perhaps sharkhunting is a bit too counter to the brief? Can't go around shooting national symbols. Maybe call it, Iunno...

SHARKMASTER.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Shoeless posted:

Also, page number for the rule on IS BA not being able to jump with missiles?

I don't have an exact citation, but it's specifically Body mounted missile launchers that prevent jumping.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

Shoeless posted:

Also, page number for the rule on IS BA not being able to jump with missiles??

Page 171 of TechManual, second column, under Special Abilities. They also cripple Swam and Leg attacks, for the record.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm pretty sure that only applies to launchers that can be jettisoned after firing, like the one-shot launchers. I could be mistaken though!

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm pretty sure that only applies to launchers that can be jettisoned after firing, like the one-shot launchers. I could be mistaken though!

The next line of rules forces you to make your body-mounted launchers detachable if you mount jets on IS battle armor. Kind of arbitrary, but Battletech!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Moving to the Kodiak's location. Time to play the objective more. Still really antsy about that Crab nearby though, especially since now I'll have lost LOS on it and it is now an invisible Crab motherfucker.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
As long as you have firing orders that'll shoot if he enters range, should be ok.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

MJ12 posted:

Wonderful! Thanks, MJ12. They'd need a squad size of 5 to fake LRM-20 launches, though, and packing semi-guided ammo would be necessary for the full effect (though I guess they can swap in or out as needed). Isn't there a glove or claw type that allows suits to ride friendly mechs? That would definitely be the best way of deploying the things.

Fluff:
The F4-0 Light Battle Armor (or Fauxbow) was originally developed as a proof-of-concept to mass cheap, indirect fire without needing the full support structure required by mechs. With the development and deployment of the NRWR's Void Signature System line of mechs, the Fauxbow acquired new tactical life as a means of misdirection. After riding into a battle area, the Fauxbow unit would take cover and coordinate its attack with any LRM-20 equipped mechs on the field. The indirect shot would often be taken by enemies as a sign of the target mech's presence, sometimes allowing damaged but slow mechs to escape the field. Double squads of F4-0s could pretend to be a stealthed Longbow or similar indirect fire mech, and on rare occasions they were fielded with light or medium lances to mislead opposing forces into believing heavier reinforcements were arriving on the field.

Manufacturing, training and especially replacement costs for the Fauxbow proved just low enough for the units to produced in moderate numbers. Survival rates for the units relied heavily upon NRWR victories, as the equipment proved too heavy for them to move at any speed, but the costs of equipping heavier battle armor with LRM launchers to serve the same purpose were deemed too high.

Privately, several NRWR tacticians consider the Fauxbow's continued production a sign that their high command values misdirection, confusion and surprise more highly than their soldiers' lives.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You'd need mag clamps and you don't have the crit space.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Shoeless posted:

Didn't someone design a troop transport light mech earlier in the thread for a different contest? Perfect time to use it.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

code:
Kampftaucher
IS experimental

BV: 144
Cost: 1,836,160 C-bills

Movement: 3/3

Armor: 24

Weapon					Loc  	Heat
--------------------------------------------
Swarm Mek				Squad     0
Attack Swarmed Mek			Squad     0
Stop Swarm Attack			Squad     0
Leg Attack				Squad     0
Light TAG (Left arm)			Squad     0
Pump Action Shotgun (APM) (Right arm)	Squad     0

Equipment                      		Loc
---------------------------------------------
Basic Manipulator (Mine Clearance)	Squad
Basic Manipulator (Mine Clearance)	Squad
Anti Personnel Weapon Mount (Right arm)	Squad
Demolition Charge (Body)		Squad
Conventional Mine (Body)		Squad
Magnetic Clamps (Body)			Squad
Extended Life Support (Body)		Squad
Light Minesweeper (Right arm)		Squad
Cutting Torch (Left arm)		Trooper 1
Handheld Searchlight (Left arm)		Trooper 2
Heat Sensor (Left arm)			Trooper 3
Single-Hex ECM (Left arm)		Trooper 4
Filling a niche role, the Kampftaucher Battle Armor is called for any time operations against naval targets are required. With a wide array of equipment users of the Kampftaucher armor are able to quietly infiltrate and mine enemy ports, provide targeting solutions on hostile naval assets, clear mines from friendly waters or should the situation require it, breach and assault hostile ships. Extended life support systems and magnetic clamps allow the users to attach to the hulls of enemy vessels to await the perfect time to strike and cause havoc in the enemy fleet.

All right, first time that I tried to design a Battle armor, I hope it turned out the way I intended it to.
Since I don't know any BT lore from outside this thread I'm not going to attempt to write much fluff text.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
This isn't a submission, I just thought people would find it amusing:

AUTRO Boondoggle: XK-9 and XK-10 Light Battle Armors

Designed by Rim World AgriMil and intended to accommodate not a human pilot but a large dog, the XK-9 was originally intended for deployment as both a light scout and for search-and-rescue purposes. Seeing advantages in making it a truly multi-role design, the XK-9 was re-purposed part-way through development and converted into a light mine layer and anti-infantry weapon platform. To facilitate their use and recovery on the battlefield, each XK-9 is equipped with advanced command and communications equipment allowing a single XK-10 Handler to monitor and control up to four XK-9s at a time.

Numerous problems arose during their initial tests: the advanced man-machine interfaces used by the XK-9 suits were never intended for use by non-humans and the dogs would quickly grow despondent, depressed, and ultimately emotionally unresponsive when separated from the suits for an extended period. This dependence on their connection, coupled with the strength-enhancing properties of the BattleArmor, rendered the XK-9 test subjects difficult to manage while in the armor and difficult to train outside of it.

Additional technical problems arose from the specialized anti-infantry weapons carried by both the XK-9 and XK-10. While the XK-10's incendiary needler was perfectly functional--if a touch inhumane--the long-range Radium Sniper Rifles developed from an analysis of an ancient Taurian design proved to be both fragile and difficult to maintain and concerns were raised as to the long-term health effects of their use. Additionally, due to the nature of the XK-9 "Pilot," the Radium Sniper Rifles had to be targeted manually by the XK-10 Handler and managing the targeting-and-tracking for eight independently-targeted weapons mounted on four separate high-speed weapons platforms proved to be nearly impossible. Even after months of extensive practice during actual combat trials the accuracy of the XK-9's weapons remained less than 2%; and test-firing all eight weapons from stationary XK-9s at stationary targets less than 30 meters distant resulted in an abysmal hit rate of 23%.

Another major problem of the XK-9 Project was the vulnerability of the XK-10. While the XK-9s themselves were quite mobile, the XK-10 was slow and not especially mobile. The jump jets called for in the original design documents had to be removed both because they frightened the XK-9 "pilots" and due to a structural instability that would cause the XK-10 to fail spectacularly approximately 12.5% of the time. In an effort to make up for this vulnerability, the XK-10's ground speed was marginally upgraded by stripping armor components until a machine that was originally intended to be a medium-weight power armor design was downgraded to a light. Unfortunately, even this wasn't enough to render the XK-10 fast. It was feared that, in the event of a retreat, the XK-10s would be abandoned by faster units and slaughtered, leaving the XK-9s to go berserk without their handlers.

Upon hearing of the project, President Amaris VII ordered it shut down on both technical and moral grounds. The President even went on to describe the XK-9s as both "unethical and morale-damaging" and as "battlefield abominations." The President's speech raised numerous complaints but the most prominent of which was that the Radium Sniper Rifles mounted by the both the XK-9 and XK-10s for anti-infantry use were absolutely not weapons systems he could ever deploy as they produced wounds that were nearly always fatal even if rapid medical treatment was obtained and simply firing them created a toxic environment for unprotected allied soldiers. Further, Amaris had objections due to the detrimental effects the XK-9 project had on the mental health of the dogs themselves; citing that historically animal handlers became very attached to their companions and knowing that the animals would by necessity need to be exterminated at the end of their "operational lifespan," that there was no possibility for rehabilitation, or of the dogs retiring to live their twilight years in comfort, would result in soldier morale problems and amplify the effects of post-traumatic stress.

A ban on the design, development, and production of future Radium-based anti-personnel weapons was later announced.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 15, 2014

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
President Amaris, a true animal rights champion. :patriot:

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

Scintilla posted:

President Amaris, a true animal rights champion. :patriot:

His work with dogs has been exemplary, but I'm skeptical about his recent ursine and corvid projects.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

GenericServices posted:

His work with dogs has been exemplary, but I'm skeptical about his recent ursine and corvid projects.

I wouldn't worry about that. I'm sure he's about to issue an ultimatum about those very topics.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Welcome, all of you, to Sea Devil ltd. corporate intelligence. As you should know, this company is a subsidiary of the Kraft conglomerate, and we like to think we play an important role in providing knowledge that can be used across the corporate group. It's an exciting time to join our "Finding the Future" programme, with research teams active on a dozen different worlds gathering the information we need to bring a better quality of life to all of humanity.

As part of our hostile acquisitions division, you will be at the forefront of technological research. Your role will be centred in providing the disparate technologies we need to ensure our engineering departments can innovate the future. Other groups in the division have helped develop air-traffic control technologies, aquatic lifestyle enhancements and advanced energy generation and transmission systems. It is our hope that as you continue our proactive knowledge sharing activities, you will discover whole new concepts that we can utilise for everyone.

This role is not without its dangers, but we aim to make it as safe as possible. You will be equipped with a suit of Tassimo salvage gear - I don't know what it means, some discontinued project in the archives - the bleeding edge of combat theatre exploitation. As you may have heard, the "Clans" that are invading from beyond the fringes are equipped with technologies unseen for centuries, technologies that you can recover for us to use. As combat rages around you, your personal ECM and improved sensor suite will get you onto the battlefield and up to any downed mech with the minimum of fuss. With a full range of cutting gear, salvage equipment, and magnetic clamps for accessing those difficult regions, you can be through their remaining armour and taking their valuables before anyone even knows you're there. For communication with other personnel, we provide laser microphones, capable of detecting your compatriots' speech without the need for risky radio broadcasts even in the noisiest situations. To round things off, you are equipped with demolitions charges to conceal your handiwork once retrieval is complete, and all suits are equipped with powerful stunners to take down any non-compliant former pilots still on the scene. Non-lethally of course, you are civilian scientists after all.

Are there any questions at this point in the presentation?

pre:
Kraft Conglomerate "Tassimo" Salvage Gear
IS advanced

BV: 117
Cost: 1,809,600 C-bills

Movement: 4/4/1

Armor: 24
                     Internal    Armor
Trooper 1                   1        6
Trooper 2                   1        6
Trooper 3                   1        6
Trooper 4                   1        6

Ceres Arms Crowdbuster (APM)   Squad     0

Mechanical Jump Booster (Body) Squad
Salvage Arm (Left arm)         Squad
Industrial Drill (Right arm)   Squad
Cutting Torch (Left arm)       Squad
Demolition Charge (Body)       Squad
Handheld Searchlight (Right arm) Squad
Improved Sensors (Body)        Squad
Laser Microphone (Left arm)    Squad
Magnetic Clamps (Body)         Squad
Single-Hex ECM (Body)          Squad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Ultimatum: Tactical Update 24

Pilot Akara lingered in the smoke like a ghost. The knuckles on the hand curled around her combat knife were white with tension as she stared unblinking at the fallen enemy Longbow. Something synthetic was burning, giving the stinging smoke an acrid, chemical scent. She’d likely get a nasty talking-to from the medical technicians—when they finally got around to her—but right now Akara simply didn’t care what sort of damage she did to her body.

The Longbow pilot hadn’t ejected when his machine fell, and she thought she saw the faintest hint of movement inside the cockpit. The machine lay with its back to the low, flat hill the bulk of Alpha Trinary had bivouacked on. Behind it, the enemy Hunchback lay on its belly—she hadn’t seen that pilot eject either. She felt momentary admiration for the enemy, the Rim Worlders were brave to stay with their dead machines. Brave and foolish.

The Sea Fox Dire Wolf that’d killed the enemy Longbow stepped over it carefully, the large machine’s smooth grace completely at odds to its massive bulk. It was still as slow and sluggish as any mud-stomping machine she’d ever witnessed but Akara couldn’t see a single wasted motion. Everything from the slight twist to verify the Longbow was truly out-of-commission to the way the arms swung with each step was intentional. Akara only rarely got an opportunity to fly in the presence of a BattleMech but even she could spot a pilot who wasn’t going to miss.

As soon as it’d passed the Rim Worlder’s cockpit shot open with the snap-hiss of a broken environmental seal the moment the Dire Wolf could no longer see it. Akara sprang forward, and sprinted across the thirty-some meters of open ground. Something exploded behind her and she didn’t even spare it a glance. She’d trained under worse conditions and seen more friends killed in trials than she cared to remember. As long as she still breathed nothing would deter her.

The Longbow’s cockpit was broad and sloped like that of a modern Aerospace fighter. It offered the pilot good vision—but unlike an Aerospace fighter the point directly above the pilot was heavily armored to ward off unexpected attacks from above. Even if the enemy pilot was armed, Akara knew she was safe in this blind spot and used it to her full advantage. The first sign the enemy pilot had that he was under attack was the loud ringing of her hard-soled boots on the Longbow’s sizzling-hot shoulders. Her free hand gripped the edge of the canopy as she used it to throw her whole body into the attack.

Her knife struck the enemy in the chest with every ounce of force she could muster—and twisted in her hand as she struck something at least as hard as `Mech armor. Her hand slipped off the grip and the base of the blade cut deep. Akara let it loose, and swung a risky uppercut at the Rim Worlder’s jaw. A Neurohelmet was good protection, but if she drove up from below and snapped the enemy pilot’s head back she’d still have a good shot at breaking his spine.

She struck with her palm—and this time she did howl as the small bones in her wrist snapped. The enemy pilot rested a hand on her chest. He was bigger than Akara had expected—a little smaller than an unarmored Elemental; but to eyes used to seeing Elementals on a daily basis the reason for that was very clear. The enemy pushed her away with a casual-looking motion backed by the strength of military-grade myomer, and she fell to the hot floor of the Longbow’s cockpit. There was no command couch, merely a vaguely man-shaped divot in which the enemy’s power armor had been resting. The enemy pilot hadn’t ejected because there was no ejector seat but Akara was willing to bet that nothing short of a direct hit by a Gauss Rifle would’ve been guaranteed to kill the enemy pilot while he remained safely ensconced in the cockpit.

“A nice try,” the enemy warrior praised sarcastically. It was a woman’s voice but any trace of her figure’s femininity was obliterated by the manlike shape of her battle armor. “Now just sit the rest of this fight out and wait for your friends to come pick you up.”

“I underestimated you,” Akara hissed, “but that’s no excuse. You’ve beaten me. Will you also humiliate me by not taking me as a bondsman?”

The enemy pilot turned away, “You want to be a prisoner? Sorry, I don’t have the—”

The enemy pilot paused, and turned back to regard Akara’s grim face in silence for a moment. “They’ll kill you for failing even if I don’t take you with me, right?”

Akara stared at the floor of the Longbow’s cockpit and made no reply. The deception hurt but one could never trust a barbarian to make an honorable choice.

The enemy pilot cursed, “drat it! I can’t risk you exposing our rendezvous point. Sorry in advance—” the Rim Worlder paused momentarily as Akara’s spirits sank. “—For the broken jaw.”

Akara glanced upwards just in time to see the enemy’s armor-covered fist swing towards her unprotected face.

Combat Phase
Kodiak
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 0314!
- Fires Ultra AC/20 (ultra) at Unknown Assault (2 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 Void Signature System + 1 smoke = 6): rolled 7, 2 shells hit Right Arm (12/32 armor remains), Right Torso (11/31 armor remains)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Unknown Assault (2 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 Void Signature System + 1 smoke = 6): rolled 10, hit Left Leg (30/37 armor remains)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Unknown Assault (2 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 Void Signature System + 1 smoke = 6): rolled 7, hit Left Leg (23/37 armor remains)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Unknown Assault (2 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 Void Signature System + 1 smoke = 6): rolled 6, hit Left Arm (25/32 armor remains)!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at Unknown Assault (2 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 Void Signature System + 1 smoke = 6): rolled 4, fails to lock-on!
- Gains 32 heat, sinks 40!

Kraken 3
- No target declared!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 38!

Dire Wolf H
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1608!
- Fires Heavy Large Laser at Chameleon (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 light woods + 1 smoke + 1 Void Signature System - 1 targeting computer = 9): rolled 10, hit Left Arm (0/16 armor, 0/8 structure remains)! Arm blown off!
- - Damage transfers to Left Torso (4/16 armor remains)!
- Fires Heavy Large Laser at Chameleon (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 light woods + 1 smoke + 1 Void Signature System - 1 targeting computer = 9): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Chameleon (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 light woods + 1 smoke + 1 Void Signature System - 1 targeting computer = 7): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Chameleon (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 light woods + 1 smoke + 1 Void Signature System - 1 targeting computer = 7): rolled 7, hit Left Torso (0/16 armor, 1/12 structure remains)! Crit!
- Gains 40 heat, sinks 40!

Atlas IIC
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 0208!
- Fires Hyper-Assault Gauss Rifle 40 at Longbow (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 3 Void Signature System = 7): rolled 11, 6 projectiles hit Left Torso (13/18 armor remains), Left Arm (4/9 armor remains), Left Arm (0/9 armor, 13/14 structure remains (Crit!)), Right Arm (4/9 armor remains), Right Leg (13/18 armor remains), Head (4/9 armor remains)! Pilot Hit?
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Longbow (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 3 Void Signature System = 7): rolled 8, hit Left Arm (6/14 structure remains)! Crit!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Longbow (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 3 Void Signature System = 7): rolled 8, hit Right Leg (6/18 armor remains)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Longbow (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 3 Void Signature System = 7): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Longbow (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 3 Void Signature System = 7): rolled 10, hit Left Leg (11/18 armor remains)!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at Longbow (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 3 Void Signature System = 7): rolled 3, fails to lock-on!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at Longbow (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 3 Void Signature System = 7): rolled 7, 4 missiles hit Right Leg (4/18 armor remains), Center Torso (19/21 armor remains), Left Arm (4/14 armor remains (Crit!)), Left Arm (2/14 armor remains (Crit!))!
- Gains 32 heat, sinks 38!

Dire Wolf B
- No Line of Sight to target Longbow (too much smoke)!
- Gains 1 heat, sinks 36!

Crab (Ace)
- Fires ER Large Laser at Kraken 3 (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System + 1 heat + 2 light woods = 9): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires ER Large Laser at Kraken 3 (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System + 1 heat + 2 light woods = 9): rolled 8, miss!
- Gains 36 heat sinks 36! Overheating! ACE!

Unknown Assault
- Fires Plasma Rifle at Kodiak (2 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 smoke + 1 Void Signature System = 5): rolled 9, hit Right Leg (23/34 armor remains)! Target gains 2 heat!
- Fires LB-10X Autocannon (Cluster) at Kodiak (2 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 smoke + 1 Void Signature System - 1 Cluster = 4): rolled 7, 4 submunitions hit Right Torso (22/32 armor remains), Left Leg (32/34 armor remains), Left Arm (28/32 armor remains), Left Arm (27/32 armor remains)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Kodiak (2 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 smoke + 1 Void Signature System - 2 Pulse Laser = 3): rolled 8, hit Center Torso (16/40 armor remains)!
- Gains 26 heat, sinks 26! Overheating! ACE!

Longbow
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 26!

Black Knight
- Holds fire!
- Gains 10 heat, sinks 36!

Excalibur
- Holds fire!
- Gains 11 heat, sinks 22!

Coyote
- Fires ER Large Laser at Incubus 3 (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement - 4 target movement + 1 Void Signature System + 2 smoke = 5): rolled 8, hit Head (1/9 armor remains)! Pilot hit!
- Gains 24 heat, sinks 28!

Coyote
- Fires ER Large Laser at Incubus 3 (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement - 4 target movement + 1 Void Signature System + 1 smoke = 4): rolled 5, hit Center Torso (7/15 armor remains)!

Coyote
- Fires ER Large Laser at Incubus 3 (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement - 4 target movement + 1 Void Signature System + 1 smoke = 4): rolled 6, hit Center Torso (0/15 armor, 9/10 structure remains)! Crit!

Coyote
- Fires ER Large Laser at Incubus 3 (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement - 4 target movement + 1 Void Signature System = 3): rolled 10, hit Center Torso (1/10 structure remains)! Crit!

Chameleon
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 0514!
- Fires Large Laser at Dire Wolf H (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 light woods + 1 Void Signature System = 9): rolled 10, hit Right Leg (7/41 armor remains)! PTN’s Note: I screwed up and didn’t apply this damage until after I applied other damage to this leg, this is the final damage value
- Fires TAG at Dire Wolf H (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 light woods + 1 Void Signature System = 9): rolled 10, hit!
- Gains 20 heat sinks 32!

Chameleon
- Fires Large Laser at Atlas IIC (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 partial cover + 1 Void Signature System = 9): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires TAG at Atlas IIC (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 partial cover + 1 Void Signature System = 9): rolled 6, miss!
- Gains 20 heat sinks 32!

Longbow
- Fires LRM-20 w/ Artemis IV (Semi-Guided) at Dire Wolf H (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + enemy movement ignored + spotter movement ignored + spotter shooting ignored + indirect fire penalty ignored = 4): rolled 8, 12 missiles hit Right Torso (22/32 armor remains (TAC!)), Right Torso (17/32 armor remains), Center Torso (46/47 armor remains)!
- Fires LRM-20 w/ Artemis IV (Semi-Guided) at Dire Wolf H (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + enemy movement ignored + spotter movement ignored + spotter shooting ignored + indirect fire penalty ignored = 4): rolled 8, 16 missiles hit Left Arm (29/34 armor remains), Right Leg (31/36 armor remains), Right Leg (26/36 armor remains), Right Arm (33/34 armor remains)!
- Gains 24 heat, sinks 26!

???
- Fires LRM-20 w/ Artemis IV (Semi-Guided) at Dire Wolf H (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + enemy movement ignored + spotter movement ignored + spotter shooting ignored + indirect fire penalty ignored = 4): rolled 9, 12 missiles hit Right Leg (21/41 armor remains), Rear Center Torso (9/14 armor remains), Rear Left Torso (9/10 armor remains)!
- Fires LRM-20 w/ Artemis IV (Semi-Guided) at Dire Wolf H (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + enemy movement ignored + spotter movement ignored + spotter shooting ignored + indirect fire penalty ignored = 4): rolled 11, 12 missiles hit Left Leg (31/41 armor remains), Right Leg (16/41 armor remains), Right Leg (15/41 armor remains)!
- Gains 24 heat, sinks 26!

End Phase:
Unknown Assault
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (3 base + 1 massive damage = 4): rolled 7, succeeds!

Chameleon
- Critical chance in Left Torso! No critical hits sustained!

Longbow
- Must pass a 3+ consciousness test: rolled 6, succeeds!
- Critical chance in Left Arm! 1 critical hit sustained!
- - Void Signature System hit!
- Critical chance in Left Arm! 1 critical hit sustained!
- - LRM-20 hit!
- Critical chance in Left Arm! 2 critical hits sustained!
- - Shoulder hit!
- - Shoulder hit!
- Critical chance in Left Arm! 2 critical hits sustained!
- - Shoulder hit!
- - Shoulder hit!

Incubus 3
- Must pass an unnecessary 3+ consciousness test! Rolled 7, succeeds!
- Critical chance in Center Torso! 1 critical hit sustained!
- - Engine hit!
- Critical chance in Center Torso! 1 critical hit sustained!
- - Machinegun Ammo Hit!
- Incubus 3 suffers 100 damage in an Ammo Explosion (0/10 structure remains)!
- - 99 damage safely vented by C.A.S.E.!

Dire Wolf H
- Through-armor critical chance in Right Torso! No critical hits sustained!

Physical Combat Phase:
Unknown Assault
- Attacks Kodiak w/ TSM Lance (3 base + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 smoke + 1 Void Signature System = 6): rolled 10, hit Head (no, I’m breaking my “no interference” rule here and rerolling that), Head (… really dice?), Center Torso (0/40 armor, 7/31 structure remains)! Crit!

Kodiak
- Kicks Unknown Assault (2 base + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 smoke + 2 Void Signature System + 1 Clanner - 2 kick = 5): rolled 10, hit Left Leg (3/37 armor remains)!

End Phase:
Kodiak
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (2 base + 1 massive damage = 3): rolled 5, succeeds!
- Critical hit in Center Torso! 1 critical hit sustained!
- - Gyro hit!
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (2 base + 3 gyro hit + 1 massive damage = 6): rolled 9, succeeds!

Unknown Assault
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (3 base + 1 massive damage + 0 kicked = 4): rolled 5, succeeds!

Next Turn’s Movement Phase
Unknown Assault
- TSM Activated!
- Gains ACE Status!

Crab
- TSM Activated!
- Gains ACE Status!

Coyote
- Deactivates Void Signature System!

Coyote

Coyote

Coyote

Special Rules
Overheat Ace: The Rim World Blackguard gain Ace status when they overheat by 10 points or more!

Blind: Enemy units are only visible in direct Line of Sight

Hidden Units: Some enemy units remain hidden until they attack. Additionally, units equipped with Void Signature Systems may expend a turn’s movement to hide themselves if they are not in direct line of sight.

Expect Surprises: When the players lose their Phase 1 units, they will gain control of a powerful Phase 2 unit. When the players lose their Phase 2 unit, they will still have a chance to influence the outcome of the battle with a Phase 3 unit. Some of these units start on the map, others will enter from elsewhere.

Player Status:

Glorious Deaths

Phase 2 / Phase 3 Objectives:
- Defeat as many enemy `Mechs as possible (13/39 defeated)
- Defend Clan HQ Vehicles (2/3 remaining)
- Defend Clan Personnel (20 tents remain! )
- Defend Clan Equipment (18/36 units remaining)

Enemy Status:
Everything is a hair’s breadth from exploding. Probably.

Enemy Movement Mods:
- Unknown Assault +ACE
- Unknown Assault +1
- Longbow +1
- Longbow +0
- Black Knight +0
- Excalibur +0
- Coyote +2
- Coyote +1
- Coyote +2
- Coyote +1
- Crab +ACE