Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lenisto
Nov 1, 2012
Malvosine does sound interesting. That's my actual vote, but what's the deal with The Bounty Hunter? Is he just a big character in the books or does he pop up in all kinds of fluff? My Battletech canon knowledge is pretty weak and I'd never heard of him before this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Lenisto posted:

Malvosine does sound interesting. That's my actual vote, but what's the deal with The Bounty Hunter? Is he just a big character in the books or does he pop up in all kinds of fluff? My Battletech canon knowledge is pretty weak and I'd never heard of him before this thread.

He's green Boba Fett who is actually multiple people since it's an identity that's passed down from person to person. He is involved in some novels and occasionally intersects with history with varying degrees of significance.

In-universe the story of the Bounty Hunter was also fictionalized into the Battletech version of the A-Team.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Operation Mangostene

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
B) How Operation: Malvosine is progressing

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

PoptartsNinja posted:

Forums are fixed, today's update isn't going to happen since I couldn't collect peoples' orders. I still need orders for the Kraken, but for obvious reasons the players are getting an extension. Thanks for your patience, everyone! I may do a brief fluff piece to tide people over if I have enough time.

To get people back in the spirit of things, would you prefer to (possibly) see:
A) What the Bounty Hunter is up to
B) How Operation: Malvoisine is progressing
C) Justin Xiang

Sorry to see my prediction about the SA forums crashing hard came true.
PTN, let us know if you need help castle brian'ing this thread in case of further forums problems.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Clan Forums crash twice as often but for half as long.

Forums are lostech.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010
Let's see if Operation: Malvosine is having any better luck than our server architecture.

Also, I never got a chance to post this, but in that last Somerset scenario PTN posted, the Clanners have a 2.5 to 1 BV advantage before you try to account for the initiative penalty. Is that the worst scenario in the book? Please tell me it's not, we have to go deeper.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Vote's pretty one-sided, so I'm going to call it.

Edit: Also, I made a Gundam during the forums cataclysm.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 26, 2014

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Gotta be Malvosine, hopefully well!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Malvoisine

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Vote's already over, the response has been pretty conclusive. If I let it continue I won't have time to actually write!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Bounty Hunter also gets one of the single highest BV canon mechs as his custom ride. Until the Wars of Reaving book it was just plain the highest but the Turkina Z (iATM boat with c3) passed it.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 26, 2014

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
2014 Forum Catastrophe Mid-Mission Emergency Fluff Update

Tai-iDalton paced so furiously that Colonel Jamie Richards was certain the high-strung man was going to wear a hole in the tatami flooring. The man was polite to the point of insult but once he got lost in a tirade his true feelings became clear. He hated bowing to an officer of the Federated Suns and he hated being outranked by a woman. Colonel Richards had humored him at first but after two months she was thoroughly sick of the DCMS officer and his thousand complaints. This one had begun about the inappropriateness and disrespect of the casual dress of one of Richards’ female lieutenants but had slowly changed into his distrust and dislike of breaking up his command and attaching the six lances still under his control to elements of the 3rd Davion Guards.

“Captain,” Colonel Richards interrupted harshly bringing Dalton’s current harangue to a sudden stop.

Tai-i,” she repeated a little more diplomatically. “With all respect: this is not the time. I’m aware of your objections to the plan but the Jade Falcons land in three days. You’ve fought them, we haven’t. I have manpower. You don’t. These are your people we’re fighting for, so forgive me if I don’t very much care that you don’t like serving under a woman. Our leaders put me here, take it up with them once this is finished.”

“My orders stand,” she continued without giving him a moment to raise an objection. “And I expect full cooperation from your people. We’re going to do our damndest to keep this rock out of Clan hands. Do you want to be remembered as a man who helped save Shibukawa, or one who helped lose it?”

Dalton hissed in anger, and turned his head aside as though to keep her from seeing the disgusted expression that crossed his face. He took a deep breath, mastering himself, and then bowed low.

“My,” he paused dramatically, as though the words pained him. “My apologies, Colonel. I will—”

Richards slammed both palms down on the desk she’d had brought in. The expensive Tatami where it now rested had been carefully and respectfully stored away so that the neither the flimsy desk nor the wheels of her cheap plastic office chair would damage it and so that the room could be quickly returned to its original condition once Richards gave it up. She’d have been willing to keep a Shogun-style office if only sitting in a lotus position for hours didn’t hurt her back. She was still willing to make concessions to the stubborn Dracs—provided they were willing to work with her. Dalton clearly wasn’t.

Tai-i, don’t think a platitude is going to placate me this time. I have operational command of this theater and the use of your forces falls under that purview. I know you’re the last survivors of the 4th An Ting Legion. I know you dislike having your command broken up but I cannot risk the remains of your command being wiped out in a single blow. As a cohesive unit you’re vulnerable, spread out among my troops you’re anonymous. If the worst case scenario occurs and we’re forced to go to ground, I want your men with us. The people here will lose heart if they don’t have a Kurita unit defending them.”

“So, I’ll say it again,” Richards finished. “I need you. I need your men, I need your knowledge, but I won’t fight over every decision. If you can’t serve then I want you to take your men and get the hell off this planet. You can suicide or go Ronin or whatever your honor demands but by God as long as you are under my command you will obey my orders. Am I understood?”

Dalton met her stare, and for a moment of surprised confusion managed to actually look contrite. He said simply, “Perfectly, Colonel.”

“Good,” Colonel Richards smiled. “Because this fight isn’t about personal honor or pride. We’re going to protect this world and we’re going to show these Kerensky-forsaken Clans a little slice of hell the likes if which they haven’t seen since Terra. We’re going to beat them so hard they’ll start to think maybe the old general had the right idea.”

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 26, 2014

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
The forums are back at last! :woop:

goatface posted:

Arrow V Artillery?

Hmm. Is this a thing? Sarna is coming up empty.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Probably a typo for Arrow IV.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Defiance Industries posted:

Unless it's not. :freep:

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
This is super spergy, and I apologize in advance, but Tai-sa is the Drac rank equivalent for Colonel, not Captain. Tai-i is a ground-forces Captain.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

PoptartsNinja posted:

2014 Forum Catastrophe Mid-Mission Emergency Fluff Update

Sounds like there's been some culture clashes while integrating the Draconis and Fed Suns troops. Then again, it also sounds like the perfect setup for an "everyone learns to understand and respect each other's cultures" action-adventure story so I'm sure by the time they finish fending off the clans Dalton and Richards will be back-slapping and quip-exchanging. It's the space-80's, after all, that's how those stories always work out!

As an aside, the Battletech setting has an unfortunate issue where I can't decide whether I should hold sexism against the Combine or against the original writers for writing them as an orientalist caricature.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 26, 2014

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Dolash posted:

As an aside, the Battletech setting has an unfortunate issue where I can't decide whether I should hold sexism against the Combine or against the original writers for writing them as an orientalist caricature.

In Battletech, there are no good guys, and that includes the writers.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

If there were a need to apologize about sperging in Battletech then this thread would be the most polite and contrite place on the forums.

Also, just so we're clear, are we correct to assume the old general's idea in question was

"Let's bail."
-- Aleksandr Kerensky

TildeATH posted:

In Battletech, there are no good guys, and that includes the writers.

:thurman:

Knew there was a reason I liked you.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

I was skimming the tech list on sarna for things that fit. Arrow <X> Artillery would fit, but only if there was an Arrow V instead of IV.

Naturally, I assumed the worst.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

At least it's not Artemis V FCS. That's a real thing and pretty bullshit.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
It's '????? ? ?????????'. Five letters, followed by one, followed by nine. 'Arrow V Artillery' does fit that, and it's better than anything I've been able to come up with whilst rooting through SSW and MML.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Dolash posted:

The thing you have to understand about the Combine, which they talk about at length in the original House book but not so much elsewhere, is that their founder was a huge weeaboo who basically told everyone to act "really Japanese-ish" or else. Whether that was because the writers wanted an excuse to write them as a caricature or they wanted to go with the "dictator uses whole nation as a personal theme park" angle is up to your interpretation, but at least they made sure to have it be artificial.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

The thing you have to understand about the Combine, which they talk about at length in the original House book but not so much elsewhere, is that their founder was a huge weeaboo who basically told everyone to act "really Japanese-ish" or else. Whether that was because the writers wanted an excuse to write them as a caricature or they wanted to go with the "dictator uses whole nation as a personal theme park" angle is up to your interpretation, but at least they made sure to have it be artificial.

Isn't that the same reason the Capellans are "Chinese" since their founder was a red-headed white guy?

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

Orders are in, running to 1521 to take a chance on linking up with the CVs before I die horribly, again.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Technowolf posted:

Isn't that the same reason the Capellans are "Chinese" since their founder was a red-headed white guy?

Yeah, Capellans used to have strong Russian overtones in the same way the ostensibly German Lyrans have a lot of Irish names and imagery floating around. They didn't go out-and-out "WE ARE CHINESE" until Sun-Tzu took over and then he decided to double down on all that imagery and consolidate everything into "BE CHINESE."

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Oh, speaking of orders, it turns out the advice I gave That Italian Guy failed to take into account the +1 to hit from overheating. It doesn't change my recommendations, but assuming the deadline is now Saturday there's still time to PM PoptartsNinja and alter the orders.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Scintilla posted:

Oh, speaking of orders, it turns out the advice I gave That Italian Guy failed to take into account the +1 to hit from overheating. It doesn't change my recommendations, but assuming the deadline is now Saturday there's still time to PM PoptartsNinja and alter the orders.

No worries, I don't think I've got many good moves unless I'm really lucky...anyway, PTN should have my orders already, unless they've been lost during last day's forum migration to Comcast facilities :ohdear:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Dolash posted:

At least they went far enough with it--and filled the Combine with enough competent women (Omi Kurita not withstanding)--that it's really clearly supposed to be a national flaw. All of the really sympathetic or competent characters (Theodore Kurita, Chandrasekhar Kurita, Subhash Indrahar) are the ones who are meritocratic.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, Capellans used to have strong Russian overtones in the same way the ostensibly German Lyrans have a lot of Irish names and imagery floating around. They didn't go out-and-out "WE ARE CHINESE" until Sun-Tzu took over and then he decided to double down on all that imagery and consolidate everything into "BE CHINESE."

I wouldn't be surprised if the CapCon going all-in on the Chinese had something to do with the USSR collapsing and China being the only major Communist power remaining.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

goatface posted:

Arrow V Artillery?

It's not a "V"

It's an "N"

For "Naval" :tinfoil:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Chronojam posted:

It's not a "V"

It's an "N"

Pretty sure a Naval Arrow IV is called a Kraken-T

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the CapCon going all-in on the Chinese had something to do with the USSR collapsing and China being the only major Communist power remaining.

Eh, if that was true it would have happened in the early 90s instead of the late 90s. BT generally reflects the anxieties of the mid-80s in economics more than politics, which is why Japan is the big scary guys and the Communist mishmash is the doofy kid that gets kicked around. Sun-Tzu forcing everyone to get really Chinese ties into that sort of economic fear, what with that being around the time that China's economic power became really obvious to the layman.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 26, 2014

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Chronojam posted:

It's not a "V"

It's an "N"

Those dastardly Rim-Worlders, mounting Naval weapons on their mechs! :v:

Reminds me of my futile attempts to go maximum retard and cram a Cruise Missile 50 onto a 200-ton Superheavy in MegaMekLab. Sadly it can't be done, even with the crit-slot reduction.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I don't even remember what most of those are. I think one of them was "Acid Bee Ammunition" or some permutation thereof.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Scintilla posted:

Those dastardly Rim-Worlders, mounting Naval weapons on their mechs! :v:

Reminds me of my futile attempts to go maximum retard and cram a Cruise Missile 50 onto a 200-ton Superheavy in MegaMekLab. Sadly it can't be done, even with the crit-slot reduction.

I believe it would look something like this.

In like Zinn
Jan 3, 2010

You'll notice from the bodies where the squaddies have been.

Chronojam posted:

I believe it would look something like this.
So that's what the "ultimatum" was.

"Fission mailed"

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Turns out that I cannot access gmail or google docs while I'm in China....yet.

If nobody minds and my Kraken survives, I will retake control of it for the turn after this one. And I will be posting my ideas in this thread while I figure internet issues out.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

I don't even remember what most of those are. I think one of them was "Acid Bee Ammunition" or some permutation thereof.

Double damage to Ferro-Fibrous foliage.

Eh, if that was true it would have happened in the early 90s instead of the late 90s. BT generally reflects the anxieties of the mid-80s in economics more than politics, which is why Japan is the big scary guys and the Communist mishmash is the doofy kid that gets kicked around. Sun-Tzu forcing everyone to get really Chinese ties into that sort of economic fear, what with that being around the time that China's economic power became really obvious to the layman.

Oh, I see. That makes much more sense. I'd overlooked that since, well, the economic angle of the Japan scare is a lot more blatant in Shadowrun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Artificer posted:

Turns out that I cannot access gmail or google docs while I'm in China....yet.

If nobody minds and my Kraken survives, I will retake control of it for the turn after this one. And I will be posting my ideas in this thread while I figure internet issues out.

Google docs is never gonna work, gmail will have random outages.

Here, use this:

instructions: http://memallery.web1337.net/how-to-use-goagent/

file: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=42210566571740363007

You might need to use a proxy to reach appengine.google.com in the first place to set up the proxy server with your google account, but if you can goagent itself is free.

• Locked thread