Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Scintilla posted:

Weren't the Manei Domini originally formed to fight the Clans? Because if so it looks like they're about to fulfill that purpose in PTN's universe.

That's the theory people have suggested given the evidence, and the most likely explanation since the WoB Jihad wasn't planned to go like it did. But they've never come out and said "WoB's original plan was to unify the Inner Sphere through the Star League by destroying the Clans."

Psion posted:

that said, it's not like his competition in the BT novel-writing arena was any better, though. In some cases, worse. Need I remind you of DRT.

There is one good BT novel and it is named Wolves on the Border. Full stop.

Shoeless posted:

You know I keep hearing people badmouthing Anderson, and yet never hear a concrete reason. Can you clarify why you think his writing is bad?

Kevin J. Anderson's villains are laughably incompetent and he introduces a new superweapon in every single book he writes. If you have archives, you should go through the Let's Read Terrible Star Wars Novels, it really breaks down how Anderson doesn't understand very basic things about storytelling, like "if you make your villain threatening, it makes the heroes look better when you beat them!" or "having the characters tell the reader how great another character is doesn't work unless they actually do things worth admiring."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

The Casualty posted:

I have a similar memory. That one part where Stackpole decided that X-Wings had limited fuel and thus required drop tanks full of, well, he never mentioned what. Also I think at one point Corran Horn drops his drop tank on some imperial construction equipment and blows it straight to hell.

Well it would make sense if the X-Wings used reaction drives and thus needed reaction mass.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Didn't Anderson introduce a villain character that later had to be retconned by another author also by Anderson I think as having suffered serious brain damage just prior to her first appearance in order to explain away her incompetence? You know the one, the "tactical genius" who "recovered from her brain damage" just in time to crash her recently-aquired Super Star Destroyer into a planet?

Yup, Admiral "What do you mean my Star Destroyers crashed into each other?" Daala.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 6, 2014

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Man I'm almost glad that all that stuff has now been declared non-canon because holy poo poo is the SW EU stuff a clusterfuck that puts other settings to shame.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Didn't Anderson introduce a villain character that later had to be retconned by another author also by Anderson I think as having suffered serious brain damage just prior to her first appearance in to explain away her incompetence? You know the one, the "tactical genius" who "recovered from her brain damage" just in time to crash her recently-aquired Super Star Destroyer into a planet?

Yup, Admiral "What do you mean my Star Destroyers crashed into each other?" Daala.

Pretty sure it was another author. It was either Zahn in Allegiance or whoever wrote Death Star. Anderson still fervently believes Daala is really smart, you guys.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I do like that you could pretty much use the number of Star Destroyers Daala has left as way to measure how close you are to the end of any given book she's in. The closer you get to "1" the closer you are to the end*.

*This only works because she invariably loses half of her fleet by the midpoint in the story.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 6, 2014

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
The hilarious thing about Darksaber was that the eponymous superweapon didn't even work. Which rendered the entire story utterly pointless. Crix Madine died for no reason whatsoever.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Psion posted:

I want you to go get the Jedi Academy trilogy and start reading. Come back and post when you give up.

then ... you will know.

Scintilla posted:

If you somehow get through those, read Darksaber.

And let the hate flow...

I have in fact read all four of those. They seemed decent popcorn novels. I liked the new superweapon each book thing, reminded me a tad of old Saturday morning cartoons. Neither of these actually says anything. If you're going to criticize you should really give concrete examples, like Defiance Industries did. That said, those are the only four of his works I've read, never read anything else with Daala in them. Oh, wait, I read the first Dune prequel he wrote with the original author's son. I'm going to probably get a lot of bad looks for saying this, but I really enjoyed that and never was able to get into the originals. I guess I just have terrible taste.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

The Merry Marauder posted:

etheric rudder

Didn't you move on to Aaron Allston's X-Wing books and be all "yeah, these are way better?"

Yeah Allston's X-Wing books are awesome. When his characters hear voices in their heads and argue with themselves while daydreaming during a dogfight it's not because he has no idea how to convey to the reader what the character feels (which is what Stackpole does, constantly) but because those characters have mental issues. And being really, really good at killing people on an instinctual level doesn't make you a hero, it makes you someone who really shouldn't be allowed out once the war is over.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

ArchangeI posted:

Well it would make sense if the X-Wings used reaction drives and thus needed reaction mass.

It was pretty much the first, last, and only time that fuel state was mentioned in something Star Wars. Before and after that, the only thing that determined range in any other piece of content was whether or not the ship has a hyperdrive, and the amount of crew accomodation there is. The X-Wing could basically go anywhere up until the limit of its pilot's endurance and the number of jump coordinates its astromech could carry (which was 6 or something). When Obi Wan Kenobi says the TIE Fighter in the original movie is a "short range fighter," he means it can't stray far from its deployment zone because it doesn't have a hyperdrive, and it sacrifices virtually all comforts.

Let's face it, things in Star Wars function based on fantasy magic bullshit anyways, there's no reason to completely change how a fundamental piece of your setting works just so you can create a setpiece moment.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

The Casualty posted:

It was pretty much the first, last, and only time that fuel state was mentioned in something Star Wars.

fuel showed up in a few other places but yes, most times the answer was "we have enough to get there, going just as fast as the plot demands."

Shoeless posted:

If you're going to criticize you should really give concrete examples, like Defiance Industries did.

you say you 'never hear a concrete reason' and yet you don't actually respond to any of DI's concrete examples, ditto PTN's. I don't feel like you're really discussing this in good faith here.

I will second ZeeToo's Let's Read because it sums it all up quite nicely. Even the first two updates get you what you need: KJA is hopped up on pixie sticks for all the plot threads he starts, drops, POV changes, new characters straight out of a tvtropes page, bad characterization of existing ones, it's like a kid throwing a tantrum in a sandbox. Nothing makes any kind of logical sense if you think about it at all, ever. Logical sense for Star Wars. This is not a high bar.

also, I forgot this: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hornet-class_interceptor
Bugfighters! :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 6, 2014

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Just to get back on the topic of Battletech, I've been making custom sprites for some of the units I've whipped up in SSW and thought I'd try my hand at drawing some of the thread originals. A pre-emptive thanks to T.G.Xarbala for his amazing drawings which made the task much easier.

SUN-F1X Sunfire:

This began life as a Kraken I was modifying. I noticed the shape of the body was similar to that of Xarbala's Sunfire drawing, so I decided to go hog wild and do a full conversion. That's how most of my spriting tends to go; take an existing design, then modify it over and over until it's no longer recognisable.

LQD-X1 Liquidator:

Getting the head right on this one was a pain, but I think it came out pretty well. Getting the rough shape of the unit is generally simple, but adding all the boxy gubbins on top can be a pain. I had to keep checking it out in thumbnail view until it looked natural.

WLD-1B Wildebeest:

Again, getting the head right was a pain, and I'm still not 100% satisfied with it. I tried to go for a bulky, hunched-over look, because those HVAC's are massive and unwieldy.

Meteor:

I tried to do a Lancer, but...well, it didn't come out very well. I suck at spriting where Quads are concerned, they all end up looking like enormous floating boxes. Ironically I did the Meteor as a practice run and it wound up looking better than the end product, so here it is.

Just for fun I also did the Baba Yaga, because it looks so freaking dangerous:

Probably my favourite design out of that whole competition.

Feel free to redraw, recolour, reuse these in any way you want.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Scintilla posted:

Weren't the Manei Domini originally formed to fight the Clans? Because if so it looks like they're about to fulfill that purpose in PTN's universe.

That is almost certain given just how good they are at neutralizing Clan advantages. Never explicitly confirmed, but it's well-know that they were intended for something, and the Jihad we got was definitely not it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Scintilla posted:

WLD-1B Wildebeest:

Again, getting the head right was a pain, and I'm still not 100% satisfied with it. I tried to go for a bulky, hunched-over look, because those HVAC's are massive and unwieldy.

Hooray, my mech! This is as good an excuse as I've ever needed to repost the drawing TGX made of it:

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Here are the rest:

Baba Yaga:

Liquidator:

Sunfire:

I tried to be as accurate as possible. The one major change I made was to switch the Liquidator's Medium Laser to the torso instead of the shoulder, because otherwise it wouldn't fit.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Scintilla posted:

custom sprites

That's hella neat! I've actually always been really interested in seeing megamek versions of `Mech art, including my own. Though it's embarrassing to note how blocky my art was back then.

Would be cool to see more of those other designs take the field, though that's all up to PTN. And probably us, by voting for scenarios that either involve the DracSuns or the CC. And hey, who wouldn't want to see a bargain bin Dire Wolf running around?

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Scintilla posted:

Neato sprite designs

Sweet!

There's something about the Meteor that's actually kind of cute. :3:

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
It's the head. I was going for fins or a crest of some sort surrounding it, but it just looks like a pair of big floppy ears.

It still looks better than the Lancer, which I'm going to try and improve on tomorrow.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

That's hella neat! I've actually always been really interested in seeing megamek versions of `Mech art, including my own. Though it's embarrassing to note how blocky my art was back then.

Would be cool to see more of those other designs take the field, though that's all up to PTN. And probably us, by voting for scenarios that either involve the DracSuns or the CC. And hey, who wouldn't want to see a bargain bin Dire Wolf running around?

One day a lucky Goon will get to crush filthy Clanners under the feet of a goddamn Mackie. I am patiently waiting for that day to come.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

KnoxZone posted:

One day a lucky Goon will get to crush filthy Clanners under the feet of a goddamn Mackie. I am patiently waiting for that day to come.

Has a player ever been given a 2/3 machine before, or would that be the first time?

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Scintilla posted:

It's the head. I was going for fins or a crest of some sort surrounding it, but it just looks like a pair of big floppy ears.

Nah, it just looks like a giant robo-tortoise.

When it feels threatened, it tucks its cockpit inside its torso. :pseudo:

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

Has a player ever been given a 2/3 machine before, or would that be the first time?

Well, a few players have been mobility killed before but from PTN's point of view it's clearly a suboptimal player unit because when you are so slow things like long-term movement plans and friendly units pushing the enemy in specific places become necessary.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

KnoxZone posted:

Quick and dirty edit, but:

I too look forward to the day when the Jade Falcons are broken by this majestic piece of engineering.

Soup Inspector posted:

Nah, it just looks like a giant robo-tortoise.

When it feels threatened, it tucks its cockpit inside its torso. :pseudo:

Just like the Great Turtle. It even has a torso-mounted cockpit!

SIGSEGV posted:

Well, a few players have been mobility killed before but from PTN's point of view it's clearly a suboptimal player unit because when you are so slow things like long-term movement plans and friendly units pushing the enemy in specific places become necessary.

It was designed before the days of Double Heat Sinks and XL Engines, so there's a chance we'll see modifications to make it more maneuverable. The Sunfires encountered in Breakout were different from the one submitted in the contest so it's not inconceivable.

Edit: Yup, if you add DHS you can be heat-neutral and have six tons to spare going by the original design, which was actually 3/5. This means you can add Jump Jets. Flying Mackies!

Scintilla fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 6, 2014

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Ultimatum: Tactical Update 28

Mechwarrior Adrian McKenna winced as her Dire Wolf’s right foot snapped off with a piercing shriek, stripping the massive machine of what little agility it had ever possessed. Worse, her last-second decision to try to kill both enemy Chameleons at once hadn’t born fruit. Her first shots had crippled one, but with her leg badly damaged she hadn’t been able to turn quickly enough to keep her crosshairs over the faster jumping mediums, and the moment she’d finally established a good lock the enemy’s incessant LRM barrages had begun raining down on her machine.

Worse yet, that damnable Sea Fox pilot had stolen one of her rightful kills! Although she was a bloodnamed member of House McKenna and from the greatest warrior lineage her Clan had produced. She’d be a laughingstock if she didn’t kill three times her number in enemy machines and to have a kill so blatantly stolen filled her with a black and icy depression. She had the same need to succeed as every other Clanner she’d ever met, but Adrian was always dissatisfied with one-on-one duels and her trinary had been stripped from her when she’d refused to bid for the opportunity to do battle with Duncan Marik’s laughable Knights of the Inner Sphere. She hated fighting those who had no chance of success, what challenge was that? A victory over the helpless was no victory. She wanted to win but she wanted her battles to be honest ones, not simple ego appeasement.

These Rim Worlders fascinated her in a way no Clan opponent ever had. They didn’t have the same firepower as a Clan machine but they were relentless and skilled and pushed their weaker machines to the limit to try to keep pace with superior Clan engineering. Their “cowardly” missile attacks were gratifying in a way Clan trials had never been: the Republic’s Mechwarriors saw her as a threat too great to fight fairly. They didn’t even pretend to be bound by the hidebound Clan rules. She could hear her commanders even now, whining about the unfairness and the dishonor of the Republic’s surprise attack. She didn’t care! Her commanders were imbeciles! The Republic’s Mechwarriors feared her but there was no malice in it. It was a calm, professional fear and it fascinated her.

Calmly, Adrian McKenna reached out to brush the toggle for her automatic ejection mechanism, pressing it with her thumb until it snapped back into the ‘on’ position for the first time in her career. She was going to lose this fight, but she didn’t care about the dishonor. She wanted to fight the Rim Worlders again. On any terms.

Movement Phase
Crab (ACE)
- Activates Void Signature System!

Combat Phase
Dire Wolf H
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Chameleon (2 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 4): rolled 9, hit Right Torso (0/16 armor, 2/12 structure remains)! Crit!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Chameleon (2 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 4): rolled 11, hit Left Torso (0/12 structure remains)!
- - Damage transfers to Center Torso (0/22 armor, 6/16 structure remains)! Crit!
- Fires Heavy Large Laser at Chameleon 2 (2 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 secondary target + 1 heavy laser - 1 targeting computer = 6): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires Heavy Large Laser at Chameleon 2 (2 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 secondary target + 1 heavy laser - 1 targeting computer = 6): rolled 3, miss!
- Gains 40 heat, sinks 40! Overheating!
Atlas IIC
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 0711!
- Fires Hyper-Assault Gauss Rifle 40 at Chameleon (2 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 smoke - 1 Short Range HAG = 6): rolled 10, 5 projectiles hit Right Torso (0/2 structure remains) Torso destroyed, Damage transfers to Center Torso (3/16 structure remains (Crit!)), Center Torso (0/16 structure remains (`Mech destroyed!)), Center Torso, Center Torso, Left Leg (0/24 armor, 11/12 structure remains)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Chameleon (2 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 smoke = 9): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Chameleon (2 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 smoke = 9): rolled 9, hit Center Torso!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Chameleon (2 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 smoke = 9): rolled 11, hit Center Torso!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Chameleon (2 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 smoke = 9): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at Chameleon (2 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 smoke = 9): rolled 7, fails to lock-on!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at Chameleon (2 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 smoke = 9): rolled 7, fails to lock-on!
- Gains 29 heat, sinks 38!

Unknown Assault (ACE)
- ???
- Gains ?? heat, sinks 26!

Crab (ACE)
- Fires ER Large Laser at Atlas IIC (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 heat + 1 smoke = 6): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires ER Large Laser at Atlas IIC (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 heat + 1 smoke = 6): rolled 6, hit Right Arm (25/33 armor remains)!
- Gains 34 heat sinks 34! Overheating! ACE!

Unknown Assault
- ???
- Gains 23 heat, sinks 32!

Longbow
- Holds fire!

Black Knight
- Holds fire!
- Gains 10 heat, sinks 36!

Excalibur
- Holds fire!
- Gains 10 heat, sinks 22!

Coyote
- Fires ER Large Laser at Incubus 2 (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement - 4 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System = 1): automatically Center Torso (7/15 armor remains)!
- Charges PPC Capacitor!
- Gains 29 heat, sinks 28!

Coyote
- Fires ER Large Laser at Incubus 2 (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement - 4 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System = 1): automatically Center Torso (0/15 armor, 9/10 structure remains)! Crit!
- Charges PPC Capacitor!

Coyote
- Fires ER Large Laser at Incubus 2 (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement - 4 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System = 1): automatically Center Torso (1/10 structure remains)! Crit!
- Charges PPC Capacitor!

Coyote
- Fires ER Large Laser at Incubus 2 (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement - 4 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System = 1): automatically Center Torso (0/10 structure remains)! `Mech destroyed!
- Charges PPC Capacitor!

Chameleon
- Fires Large Laser at Dire Wolf H (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement = 5): rolled 6, hit Left Leg (17/41 armor remains)!
- Fires TAG at Dire Wolf H (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement = 5): rolled 4, miss!
- Gains 14 heat sinks 32!

Chameleon
- Fires Large Laser at Dire Wolf H (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement = 5): rolled 9, hit Left Arm (0/34 armor, 13/17 structure remains)! Crit!
- Fires TAG at Dire Wolf H (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement = 5): rolled 7, hit!
- Gains 14 heat sinks 32!

Longbow
- Fires LRM-20 w/ Artemis IV (Semi-Guided) at Dire Wolf H (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + enemy movement ignored + spotter movement ignored + spotter shooting ignored + indirect fire penalty ignored = 4): rolled 7, 20 missiles hit Left Arm (8/13 structure remains (Crit!)), Right Leg (12/21 structure remains (Crit!)), Left Torso (6/32 armor remains), Left Torso (1/32 armor remains)!
- Gains 6 heat, sinks 26!

???
- Fires LRM-20 w/ Artemis IV (Semi-Guided) at Dire Wolf H (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + enemy movement ignored + spotter movement ignored + spotter shooting ignored + indirect fire penalty ignored + 1 Void Signature System = 5): rolled 6, 12 missiles hit Left Torso (0/32 armor, 17/21 structure remains (Crit!)), Left Torso (12/21 structure remains (Crit!)), Right Torso (11/32 armor remains)!
- Fires LRM-20 w/ Artemis IV (Semi-Guided) at Dire Wolf H (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + enemy movement ignored + spotter movement ignored + spotter shooting ignored + indirect fire penalty ignored + 1 Void Signature System = 5): rolled 8, 12 missiles hit Right Arm (0/34 armor, 16/17 structure remains (Crit!)), Left Arm (8/17 structure remains (Crit!)), Left Leg (16/41 armor remains)!
- Gains 22 heat, sinks 26!

Locust
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Atlas IIC (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 smoke = 8): rolled 10, hit Left Torso (27/32 armor remains)!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 20!

Locust
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Atlas IIC (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 smoke = 8): rolled 9, hit Center Torso (41/46 armor remains)!
- Gains 12 heat, sinks 20!

End Phase:
Dire Wolf H
- Critical chance in Left Arm! No critical hits sustained!
- Critical chance in Right Leg! 1 critical hit sustained!
- - Foot actuator hit!
- Critical chance in Left Torso! No critical hits sustained!
- Critical chance in Left Torso! No critical hits sustained!
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (2 base + 1 massive damage + 2 actuator damage = 5): rolled 7, succeeds!

Next Turn’s Movement Phase
Crab
- TSM Activated!
- Gains ACE Status!

Special Rules
Overheat Ace: The Rim World Blackguard gain Ace status when they overheat by 10 points or more!

Blind: Enemy units are only visible in direct Line of Sight

Hidden Units: Some enemy units remain hidden until they attack. Additionally, units equipped with Void Signature Systems may expend a turn’s movement to hide themselves if they are not in direct line of sight.

Expect Surprises: When the players lose their Phase 1 units, they will gain control of a powerful Phase 2 unit. When the players lose their Phase 2 unit, they will still have a chance to influence the outcome of the battle with a Phase 3 unit. Some of these units start on the map, others will enter from elsewhere.

Player Status:

Glorious Deaths

Primary Objective:
- Defend Clan HQ Vehicles (0/3 remaining)

Secondary Objective
- Defeat as many enemy `Mechs as possible (15/39 defeated)
- Defend Clan Personnel (13 tents remain! )
- Defend Clan Equipment (16/36 units remaining)

Enemy Status:
Everything is a hair’s breadth from exploding. Probably.

Enemy Movement Mods:
- Unknown Assault +?
- Unknown Assault +1
- Longbow +1
- Longbow +???
- Black Knight +1
- Excalibur +1
- Coyote +1
- Coyote +1
- Coyote +1
- Coyote +1
- Crab +ACE
- Chameleon +3
- Phoenix +3
- Bobcat +3
- Locust +3
- Locust +3

Orders Due: Tuesday Night!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 7, 2014

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
^^^ As long as the players stay to the north a lot of NRWR mechs will probably content themselves with slaughtering Clan personnel and unpiloted mechs. As long as you ignore the plight of the lower castes you should keep the enemy numbers sorta manageable for a while.

Defiance Industries posted:

My original submission was a 3/5 mech. PTN decided to make a custom variant of my design that downgraded to 2/3 with a couple SRM launchers. Hopefully he wouldn't make the players suffer with that abomination.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 6, 2014

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Can the Dire Wolf do flippy arms?

The Atlas should duel that unknown in front of him, as is proper.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I think the objectives are to blow up as many Rimmers as possible before getting taken down. Since the command vehicles are all dead it probably won't reflect well to be left standing when the cavalry arrives.

Something something honor and glory.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

goatface posted:

Can the Dire Wolf do flippy arms?

Yes. To flip your arms you need to have no lower arm or hand actuators. The Daishi is an Omni and so the Gauss rifles in its arms means that it cannot have either of those things.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Cool. I mean, it's not like it would be moving anywhere anyway, but that's good to know.

Although, thinking about it, could it twist to 1205, put the right arm into the Chameleon and the left arm into that smug looking Longbow?

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
Hmmm could back up to 0410, blast one Locust and kick the other one. Get the kill count up.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

I have never seen a 'mech get to 0/1/0 before dying.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Psion posted:

you say you 'never hear a concrete reason' and yet you don't actually respond to any of DI's concrete examples, ditto PTN's. I don't feel like you're really discussing this in good faith here.

I didn't respond because I read what they said, thought about it, and realized that they had a point, but that I enjoy the books despite those flaws. I suppose I should have given a token "Ah, okay, those are good points." post, you're right. Consider this post that. And I apologize if I came off as rude, it's just that pretty much any time I hear talk about Star Wars books and Anderson comes up I hear his stuff get called really bad, but never had before now seen reasons given. So having more flippant-feeling responses like "just read X" annoyed me a bit. It really is good to get some answers. So thanks PTN and DI! Now to read the update...

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Hey, we all have books or authors we like that probably aren't in the best taste (I still like Stackpole's work for what it is, especially considering the deadlines he's usually given). This isn't a book-shaming thread.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Hey, we all have books or authors we like that probably aren't in the best taste (I still like Stackpole's work for what it is, especially considering the deadlines he's usually given). This isn't a book-shaming thread.

N-not even Twilight?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

apostateCourier posted:

I have never seen a 'mech get to 0/1/0 before dying.

I've seen it happen a few times, usually it involves a leg getting hosed up by actuator hits and also an engine hit spiking the mech's heat. What I haven't seen is that 0/1 mech survive more than one turn after that.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Shoeless posted:

N-not even Twilight?

They were readable. I mean, Trent was an angsty moron but Judith(?) was an alright character and it was fun watching the Smoke Jaguars die. It was also featured one of the highest points of Smug Vlad.

"I didn't vote, so gently caress the rest of you. I can still invade!"

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Adrian McKenna is a kickass character and I hope we get to see her again.

That is all.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

PoptartsNinja posted:

They were readable. I mean, Trent was an angsty moron but Judith(?) was an alright character and it was fun watching the Smoke Jaguars die. It was also featured one of the highest points of Smug Vlad.

"I didn't vote, so gently caress the rest of you. I can still invade!"

:golfclap:

took me a second to get this, but once I did...

Shoeless posted:

I didn't respond because I read what they said, thought about it, and realized that they had a point, but that I enjoy the books despite those flaws.

fair enough! I like a lot of poo poo fiction too so I can't rail on you too badly for liking the JA trilogy. :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 7, 2014

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
So what I'm taking from this battle is that the Clanners here are undergoing a weird kind of cultural evolution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Trundel posted:

So what I'm taking from this battle is that the Clanners here are undergoing a weird kind of cultural evolution?

Basically the really stuck in their ways ones will be winnowed out by the "dishonourable" warfare of the inner sphere. The more flexible clanners will survive which may produce an evolution in at least invasion force opinions and culture. The culture clash between the veterans and those in clan space would be interesting once all the non ejectors are dead.

NOTE: I may be completely wrong, everything I know about battletech I learned from wikis and this thread. :eng99:

• Locked thread