Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

GenericServices posted:

Apparently Kristen Redmond ruined this guy's favorite shoes, or something. I hope nobody ever used this pack to introduce a newbie.

That's a very good point, because in theory this book is supposed to do just that: Take a kid who's only watched the cartoons and bring them into BattleTech.

In practice, the book doesn't even tell you what the Command Console does even though several Strikers units (including Adam's Awesome) have them. It's just like MechWarrior Online!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Me: "hey guys, I can't seem to finish this build from the wiki, I'm short three tons."

Everyone in the channel: "Check the head."

lol good times.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
PTN you've mentioned several times that wheeled vees are half MP off pavement but I've been able to find no mention of such a rule. Can you give me the book and page number, please?

Also, scenario 4 doesn't seem so bad; what am I missing? If it's 2 mapsheets, short to short, that means the Summerset Strikers, or the Triple S as nobody calls them, need to traverse ~34 hexes. I'm not sure how you expect a 4/6/4 and a 3/5/3 to do that in ~5-6 turns. Also, half armor on all the Strikers seems pretty crippling, even if you are unable to fire at all with non-Redmond mechs until she's out of the fight; a Mauler 1R with half armor's down to 103 points. 5 points of armor on all rear torsoes. Torsi? Torsesis? And with an XL engine? I don't doubt that it would go down easy once Redmond's taken care of the Centurion. Which itself only has 68 points of armor, an XL engine, all the ammo in a worthlessly CASE'd right torso which will only have 7 points of armor and 13 internals. With Kristen having gunnery 2 and Enhanced Imaging (TM), I don't imagine he'll be able to avoid fire for long against clan pulse. Adam's Axman has roughly 90 points of armor and an XL engine, but honestly you could probably ignore him and go after the not much tougher but noticeably slower Hawkins once you're done serving Ryder his own entrails. Is there something I'm missing?

Edit: I forgot, the 1R can't even jump, so Hawkins is only a 3/5.

Shoeless fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 8, 2014

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Shoeless posted:

Is there something I'm missing?

Being outnumbered is huge and Kristen is going to take hits. Her Mad Dog isn't especially tough (armor factor 163) and as a minimum-weight heavy she doesn't have a lot of structure so she either has to rely on long range (which isn't going to stop the Strikers) or she's got to risk getting in close to better use her pulse lasers. Kristen's star can't advance closer to the Strikers than Kristen does so even if she does die they're playing catch-up.

Additionally, the conditions in which Kristen is considered disabled are very specific (both arms blown off, no remaining weapons, completely immobilized, or if she goes unconscious) so if she loses a torso to an ammo explosion (reasonably likely if you've ever played a Mad Dog) or gets reduced to a 0/1/0 she's probably not going to be able to secure a victory. She also enters from a specific hex and most of the time the Strikers can deploy anywhere, letting them maximize their cover.

Oh, and I forgot to mention EI means she takes pilot hits if she takes internal structure damage with it on (and double pilot hits from ammo explosions and I think cockpit hits), so she'll probably only be able to use it for the first 3-5 turns.

The end result is probably going to be the destruction of Ryder's Centurion and probably Hawkins' Mauler. In order to actually score a victory Kristen has to drop everything to try to kill the Axman (the one `Mech she probably isn't going to stop if she shoots it last), but the scenario rules say she absolutely can't make a risky play like that and has to murder Ryder. So the chances of a Clan victory are very limited, neither side is going to win, and neither side is going to have any fun actually playing the scenario.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 8, 2014

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Being outnumbered is huge and Kristen is going to take hits. Her Mad Dog isn't especially tough (armor factor 163) and as a minimum-weight heavy she doesn't have a lot of structure so she either has to rely on long range (which isn't going to stop the Strikers) or she's got to risk getting in close to better use her pulse lasers. Kristen's star can't advance closer to the Strikers than Kristen does so even if she does die they're playing catch-up.

Additionally, the conditions in which Kristen is considered disabled are very specific (both arms blown off, no remaining weapons, completely immobilized, or if she goes unconscious) so if she loses a torso to an ammo explosion (reasonably likely if you've ever played a Mad Dog) or gets reduced to a 0/1/0 she's probably not going to be able to secure a victory. She also enters from a specific hex and most of the time the Strikers can deploy anywhere, letting them maximize their cover.

Oh, and I forgot to mention EI means she takes pilot hits if she takes internal structure damage with it on (and double pilot hits from ammo explosions and I think cockpit hits), so she'll probably only be able to use it for the first 3-5 turns.

The end result is probably going to be the destruction of Ryder's Centurion but the chances of a Clan victory are very limited and neither side is going to have any fun actually playing the game.

I'm still unconvinced, especially since all the Striker mechs have LRMs as a prominent part of the weapon loadouts, which Redmond can exploit the minimum range of. Which also means the rest of the Star can get close when she eventually dies from low armor. I'm not saying a smart Striker player couldn't manage it, and dice will be dice, but I guess unless I really looked at the maps and tried to play it, it doesn't seem so one-sided. At least, not in favor of the Strikers. Even if she can't use EIs for more than a few turns for risk of pilot hits, keeping to cover and getting good move mods should let her get close without too much damage (unless there is no cover, but you said it uses the two intro box sheets which I remember have decent terrain on them, unless you mean the old box set in which case gently caress if I know) and then turn on EI for a turn to mess Ryder up with close range LPLs and LRMs. Ah well, perhaps we will have to play this match and find out? Would be an... interesting interlude between normal LP games.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
My problem with it isn't that it's one-sided (claims as such in the post are dramatic hyperbole). My problem with #4 is that it's not fun to play (I've actually done it). The Strikers player is discouraged from actually fighting and the Clan player is restricted tactically for as long as it takes Ryder to die. It's just another in a string of missions where the Strikers' objectives are "run away."

In terms of the missions we've seen #4 is certainly the most playable but it's probably going to end in a "nobody wins." #6 is basically the same scenario but aside from the inclusion of a Packrat and the utter randomness it has the most potential to be actually fun (Malthus can shoot at everyone, the Strikers can and should shoot at everyone, and only Kristen's tactics are restricted and that's mostly to keep her from ganging up on the Strikers). The Strikers also have a much shorter distance to retreat and can probably use Redmond's forces for cover (but can't do so safely). Basically, everything is risky in different ways and the strongest force on the field probably can't engage the weakest.

With a few rewrites and tweaks I could see #6 being really fun (I'd tell you how, but I might actually use the scenario in an upcoming mission assuming you guys ever vote for the Goliath Scorpions :ssh: ). Can you honestly say the same about #4?

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 9, 2014

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Ok, first off, we'll get the retreat rules out of the way: 2d6 at the start of each turn, if you roll less-than or equal to the current turn number the Strikers can start retreating. That means they could retreat as early as turn 2 if they get stupidly lucky; or if they're Kial they can't retreat until turn 12. Realistically they'll probably start retreating sometime between turn 5 and turn 8.

Ouch. That's mean, Poptarts. :v:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Actually, I had it backwards. If they were Kial they'd be retreating on turn 2!

I'm not serious by the way. Most of Kial's hit location dice were spectacular. So many potential head hits!

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Also, since it didn't get answered, re-requesting book and page number for rule of wheeled vees having half mp off pavement. TW ground movement doesn't say anything about that, and TechManual just gives outright restricted terrains.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

Shoeless posted:

Also, since it didn't get answered, re-requesting book and page number for rule of wheeled vees having half mp off pavement. TW ground movement doesn't say anything about that, and TechManual just gives outright restricted terrains.

Page 52 of TW, the movement costs table, indicates wheeled support vehicles pay an extra MP for Clear terrain if they lack the Off-Road modification. Thus, double. However, the MUL claims the Packrat isn't a support vehicle, which may be where the confusion lies. Unless that's a unique Packrat variant built as a support vehicle to ruin everybody's day, which I'd totally buy for these scenarios.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
HQ vehicles generally don't go all Ivan 'Ironman' Stewart over hill and dale, no. Support classification seems appropriate for such a mod.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006

Artificer posted:

Ouch. That's mean, Poptarts. :v:

Gave me a giggle. Fun times.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm not serious by the way. Most of Kial's hit location dice were spectacular. So many potential head hits!

Do you roll the hits and location at the same time? Makes sense. And saves time.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
1st Somerset Strikers Scenario 7 "in the Jungle" Review

This scenario uses Heavy Forest #1 and Heavy Forest #2 in standard "funsquare" formation. These maps are poo poo and should only be used sparingly (and never together). I hate them, I hate playing on them, and if you like them you're wrong for doing so*.

*You're not actually wrong for liking these maps and they are important for the mission but at the same time they screw over everyone but the Strikers and reduce Hawkins to 1 hex of movement per turn.

The Attackers are:
Team Ninja
ISF Ninja Leader (p3g2) in a CN9-D Centurion
a ninja (p4g3) in a CN9-D Centurion

Team Advance to the Rear
Maj. Steiner (p2g2) in his AWS-9Ma Awesome
Capt Hawkins (p4g3) in his MAL-1R Mauler
"Capt." Ryder (p3g4) in his BSW-X1 Bushwhacker
Franklin Sakamoto-kun (p2g3 (YUP)) in his HTM-27T Hatamoto-Chi
Kylee (p3g4) in her BSE-X2 Banshee

The Defenders are:
Kokuryu-Kai Rebel Lance Ymir River Society
Unnamed Rebel Lance Commander (they gave all the other mooks names, but not these guys) (p4g3) in a WLF-1 Wolfhound
Unnamed mook (p5g4) in a WLF-1 Wolfhound

This is a another 3 player scenario but the deployment is weird as hell.

The ISF commander deploys to a specific hex but the rest of his ninjas deploy anywhere that doesn't have line of sight to either the rebels or Franky-kun's Hatamoto Chi.

The Strikers all deploy on the far eastern mapsheet, except for Franky-kun who deploys in hex 1509 (towards the middle of the western mapsheet). This isn't quite as risky as it sounds.

The Black Dragons (Kokuryu-Kai rebels) deploy in specific hexes in a position somewhat shielding Franky-kun from the ISF.

The victory conditions for this one are something else, too.

Team Advance to the Rear wins a decisive victory if all of their machines retreat off of the western map edge (starting to see a trend here?). They get a partial if Franky-kun retreats and they kill five enemy `Mechs.

Team Ninja wins if they kill Franky-kun's Hatamoto-Chi, but it's pretty impossible for them to catch him in their 4/6/0 Centurions if he just retreats from turn 1 onward however simply retreating probably isn't the wisest course of action, and I'll explain why in a bit.

Ymir River Society wins if Franky-kun escapes and all of the ISF Centurions get wiped out but this gets downgraded to a partial if the Strikers all escape.

Also, to make you want to kill yourself, this map uses the "fire" and "clearing woods" special rules. This map is honestly probably the most playable of all the missions in the book, probably because it uses no Clantech. The forces are still badly unbalanced but there're some nuances that actually make that less important.

1) Franklin Sakamoto retreating early scores another team a victory and deprives the Strikers of a (very good) `Mech.

2) The Wolfhounds are poo poo with poo poo pilots so they probably can't beat the ISF without help. If Franklin's on the board and helping them their chances of beating the ISF go up significantly.

3) The ISF has to kill Franklin to score a total victory, so the longer he lingers on the board the longer the ISF spends with their backs to the Strikers fighting the Black Dragons.

4) The ISF doesn't actually care about the rest of the Strikers. They're enemies but they don't have to engage each other, if Franklin retreats early both ISF and the 1st SS can annihilate the Black Dragons and allow the Strikers to retreat giving the Strikers a total victory and the ISF a partial.

5) If the Strikers destroy the ISF on their march to the other side of the map, the Black Dragons don't have to engage them and can take a partial victory.

6) If the Black Dragons take down even one Striker (the Bushwhacker'sthe best target) they score a total victory, and the Strikers can only turn their loss into a partial by destroying 5 enemy `Mechs (which doesn't require Franklin on the field, but is much harder without him).

7) Due to the woods, all fights happen at very close ranges and everyone is slowed substantially. As mentioned, Hawkins will move about 1 hex per turn.

Final Thoughts: Even though it feels like this mission was thrown together as filler, it could actually be pretty fun with the right people. I honestly think the three-way missions in the book are pretty OK. The Strikers are probably going to win this one, but it's not a sure thing. The only downside is that the best the ISF can probably hope for is a partial victory.

Unfortunately, this mission also has the potential to turn into a brawl between the ISF and the Black Dragons. If Franky-kun does retreat the ISF has no reason to engage the Strikers (as defeating even one Striker gives the rebels a total victory) and every reason to try to exterminate the Black Dragons before the Strikers arrive (so they can score a partial and reduce the Rebel victory to a partial by escaping). Yes, that means all 3 forces can score at least a partial victory if Franky-kun retreats.

All the Black Dragons have to die to make this happen, but at least they won! :toot:

Next Time: This bonus allows the Strikers to roll a 13!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The 1st Somerset Strikers don't seem to live up to their number-noun-verber name.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

T.G. Xarbala posted:

The 1st Somerset Strikers don't seem to live up to their number-noun-verber name.

They really should be the 1st Somerset Run-The-gently caress-Away-ers, yeah.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

GenericServices posted:

Page 52 of TW, the movement costs table, indicates wheeled support vehicles pay an extra MP for Clear terrain if they lack the Off-Road modification. Thus, double. However, the MUL claims the Packrat isn't a support vehicle, which may be where the confusion lies. Unless that's a unique Packrat variant built as a support vehicle to ruin everybody's day, which I'd totally buy for these scenarios.

That's for Support Vehicles, which are generally non-combatant units. Tanks and other front-line military vees are generally termed "Combat Vehicles", as far as I can tell, to differentiate between them. This is supported by Support and Combat vehicles having separate build rules in Tech Manual.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Well I finally finished the Lancer. Here it is, in all its derpy glory:

It was actually even worse before, if you can believe it. :v:

I had to push the head very slightly off-centre so the shield didn't obscure it. I made up a bunch of stuff to go on the back because Xarbala's drawing doesn't show it. Overall I still think the Meteor looks better and that I suck at drawing quads. :v:

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

They really should be the 1st Somerset Run-The-gently caress-Away-ers, yeah.

Well, when you're saving :siren: MY HOME PLANET :siren: you don't have the time to get involved in every little battle that comes your way. :colbert:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Soup Inspector posted:

Well, when you're saving :siren: MY HOME PLANET :siren: you don't have the time to get involved in every little battle that comes your way. :colbert:

Poochie?!

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Adam Steiner died on the way back to his home planet

Speaking of, was there progress on the next Annotated episode of the cartoon?

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

Shoeless posted:

That's for Support Vehicles, which are generally non-combatant units. Tanks and other front-line military vees are generally termed "Combat Vehicles", as far as I can tell, to differentiate between them. This is supported by Support and Combat vehicles having separate build rules in Tech Manual.

I'm aware of that distinction. What I was trying to say, obliquely, is that I don't think wheeled combat vehicles have that restriction and that PTN's statement may have come from considering the Packrat a support vehicle. These scenario packs were written far enough back that the Packrat listed in them may not necessarily be the current variant, after all. ...Also, I'm fully okay with downgrading the move value of something with a 9 piloting skill just out of principle. The most inept of inept militia still have a 7!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
1st Somerset Strikers Scenario 8 "The Liberation of Sommerset(SIC) Military Academy" Review

This scenario uses one standard BattleTech map and one standard CityTech map in FunLine formation. With a 6 [height unspecified] light buildings and 1 [height unspecified] medium building! They may be height 1, or height 100,000. Nobody knows, the book doesn't care enough to tell us. My bet is, they're all tall enough to reach Ironhold which is how Nikolai Malthus is able to death march Somerset's entire population into Clan space.

The Attackers are:
Team MY HOME PLANET
Maj. Steiner (p2g2) in his AWS-9Ma Awesome
Capt Hawkins (p4g3) in his MAL-1R Mauler
"Capt." Ryder (p3g4) in his BSW-X1 Bushwhacker
Kylee (still no stats) in a single IFR-X1 Infiltrator Battle Armor
Franklin Sakamoto (p4g3) in a BSE-X2 Banshee (WHY?!)
Commander Andrew Steiner (p4g3) in an AXM-2N Axman
6 platoons of laser infantry

The Defenders are:
Team Warcrimes
Star Colonel Redmond (p2g2) in her Mad Dog / Vulture Prime
Mechwarrior Pytor (p2g2) in his Hunchback IIC
A grunt (p4g3) in a Timberwolf / Mad Cat Prime
1 Elemental Point (no stats)
1 platoon of laser infantry.

Everything except the infantry has EI Implants.

Deployment's weird as gently caress.

For Team MY HOME PLANET Hawkins starts in a set hex on the CityTech map surrounded by friendly infantry, everyone else starts on the west edge of the CityTech map.

Team Warcrimes starts on the east edge of the CityTech map, rendering the standard BattleTech mapsheet superfluous. The elementals start in the medium building.

Victory conditions are standard, the 1st SS needs to kill all the Clanners to win. If they don't, they lose. :golfclap:

Banshee strafes again, you know the drill. It attacks from the west.

Team MY HOME PLANET gets a special bonus for this mission: They get a +1 to all piloting, gunnery, and morale checks. This is badly explained but this is actually a +1 to the dice themselves meaning they can roll 13s. They lose this bonus if Adam dies.

No other bonus in BattleTech works like this. Not one. It's no different from a standard -1 bonus, they just did it this way because the 1st SS "Makes the Impossible Possible!" :doh:

So this mission's a brawl and there's a reason I've tagged Kristen's star as Team Warcrimes. The Clan player should start the mission by immediately charging Hawkins and machinegunning as many of the infantry as possible before they can move into buildings. They should also prioritize killing Kylee (seriously, just have Pytor shoot her with his UAC/20s or something, it'll be worth it). Other than murdering as much of the trash as possible, the Clanners should probably try to eliminate as many of the Striker `Mechs as possible. I'd personally prioritize Andrew but Hawkins is an easier and more vulnerable target. If the Clans win in this scenario the next one doesn't happen so it really doesn't matter if every member of Kristen's star dies, just kill as many Strikers as possible (and never not machinegun the infantry). In spite of the bonus he provides, Adam should be heavily damaged but not killed just in case the Clanners lose. For reasons.

Really stupid and really, really funny reasons.

All the running away they've been doing hasn't helped Team MY HOME PLANET prepare to fight hyper-agressive Clanners. Adam's "MY HOME PLANET!!!" bonus helps a bit but Kristen's star is full of tough heavies (and Pytor) with EI and Elementals are a bastard to get out of any building. The normal infantry can storm them but Elementals are pretty good at murdering normal guys and nothing the Strikers have are good at attacking infantry. If you're Team MY HOME PLANET, focus fire and try to kill one Clan `Mech at a time. Use your infantry ablatively and try to get all of your machines together. Don't be afraid to make an infantry sacrifice play if they've got a chance of dropping an enemy `Mech or can buy you a little time. Focus on Pytor's fragile machine and then kill Kristen's marginally less-fragile machine before you start working on the grunts in the Mad Cats.

Final Thoughts: This mission is difficult but winnable for both sides (the Strikers have their work cut out for them, though). Team MY HOME PLANET has enough infantry to whittle down Clan forces, but it starts in the open and the Mad Cats are well-equipped to murder them by the dozens. Also: infantry lasers lost a lot of power in the current rules (they used to be the best non-SRM infantry weapon, now rifles are more damaging). If the Clans win, great, you never have to play one of these scenarios again. If the Strikers win, there's one more scenario to play (and it is hilarious).

Next Time: I'm not going to spoil this one, but I will say I find it hilarious.

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

PoptartsNinja posted:

Final Thoughts: This mission is difficult but winnable for both sides (the Strikers have their work cut out for them, though). Team MY HOME PLANET has enough infantry to whittle down Clan forces, but it starts in the open and the Mad Cats are well-equipped to murder them by the dozens. Also: infantry lasers lost a lot of power in the current rules (they used to be the best non-SRM infantry weapon, now rifles are more damaging).
Better yet, didn't Infantry just straight up took full damage from normal weapons when this book was written? That means that pretty much any of the Clan 'Mechs can massacre all of the poor grunts before they make any meaningful contribution to the battle.

Also, the fact that every Clan force is just a character followed by three or four random jerks in Mad Cats seems kind of dumb. I know that they tried to make things exactly like the show, but it makes for scenarios that are unfun to play. At least they are fun to read about.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Ba Donk a Bonk posted:

Better yet, didn't Infantry just straight up took full damage from normal weapons when this book was written?

Yeah, they did, so a Clan ERPPC was typically enough to kill half a platoon in one shot. Also, damage transferred from elemental to elemental so a Clan ERPPC would kill one-and-a-half elementals per hit.

I'm interpreting the book through the modern ruleset though.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

Ba Donk a Bonk posted:

Better yet, didn't Infantry just straight up took full damage from normal weapons when this book was written? That means that pretty much any of the Clan 'Mechs can massacre all of the poor grunts before they make any meaningful contribution to the battle.

Also, the fact that every Clan force is just a character followed by three or four random jerks in Mad Cats seems kind of dumb. I know that they tried to make things exactly like the show, but it makes for scenarios that are unfun to play. At least they are fun to read about.

yeah it probably would've made more sense to make the regular mook Jade Falcon 'Mechs Lokis on the show or something and it would've given the Strikers not hilariously outmatched scenarios like facing 3-4 Mad Cats in every fight, since they'd be facing glass cannon mook forces. But hey, it's BattleTech the Cartoon! So :downs: all around I guess.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Down to one effective. Kial, you're Last Man Standing, do you want to keep fighting or call it?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Maybe you two can just rapid-fire it in IRC or something. He won't last more than a couple turns and might :battletech: a couple bad guys.

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yeah, they did, so a Clan ERPPC was typically enough to kill half a platoon in one shot. Also, damage transferred from elemental to elemental so a Clan ERPPC would kill one-and-a-half elementals per hit.

I'm interpreting the book through the modern ruleset though.

Of course. I was just pointing out that the scenario was even more of a literal massacre when it was originally written.

Also, :rip: GoonStar.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Chronojam posted:

Maybe you two can just rapid-fire it in IRC or something. He won't last more than a couple turns and might :battletech: a couple bad guys.

I've gotta update the map each time. Since he is Last Man Standing I'm going to go ahead and reveal all hidden units so he can make his choice.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Since the command vehicles were already trashed, blaze of glory getting loving shanked by 5 lances is the only choice!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
let Kial do a custom Stackpoling roll where the dice just determine how big his reactor cookoff is - it'll always blow up, but if it rolls higher it rolls bigger. Rules? more like explosions.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Ultimatum: Tactical Update 29

“I’ll cut your hearts out,” Galaxy Commander Xephon Siegel hissed to himself. Everywhere he turned brought him face to face with another Rim World coward. They didn’t have the strength or will to face him as true warriors, so they fought him en masse and ran at the first danger. It was a joke, just like every other battle with Inner Sphere forces he’d ever witnessed. They didn’t know how to fight with honor and never had the sense to just lay down and die.

To make matters worse, the Rim Worlders were making a mockery of his heritage by utilizing corruptions of noble Star League machines. They were at once familiar as they were alien: the enemy’s dishonorable stealth technology rendered their forms indistinct, and the massive heat radiator fins wastefully adorning each enemy machine made them look cancerous and sick. Those massive radiators vented so much waste heat into the air that thermals swiftly became useless, and with their irritating ECM systems telling his magnetic resonance imaging that no objects were present the battle was more like fighting ghosts than a real enemy. It was frustrating. Infuriating.

Siegel hated losing, but losing to abominations that mocked his glorious ancestry was too much for his proud Clan spirit to handle. He lashed out in anger and stove in a Locust’s thinly-armored side with an unClanlike kick, and felt a little better.

Combat Phase
Dire Wolf H
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1305!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Chameleon (2 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 2 minimum range - 1 targeting computer = 6): rolled 7, hit Right Torso (0/16 armor, 0/12 structure remains)!
- - Damage transfers to Center Torso (3/22 armor remains)! Torso destroyed! Engine hit! Engine destroyed! Mech destroyed!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Chameleon (2 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 2 minimum range - 1 targeting computer = 6): rolled 7, hit Center Torso (0/22 armor, 4/16 structure remains)!
- Fires Heavy Large Laser at Chameleon (2 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 heavy laser - 1 targeting computer = 5): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Heavy Large Laser at Chameleon (2 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 heavy laser - 1 targeting computer = 5): rolled 11, hit Center Torso (0/16 structure remains)!
- Gains 41 heat, sinks 40! Overheating!

Atlas IIC
- Fires Hyper-Assault Gauss Rifle 40 at Locust (2 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 smoke + 2 minimum range - 1 Short Range HAG = 8): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Locust (2 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 smoke = 7): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Locust (2 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 smoke = 7): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Locust (2 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 smoke = 7): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Locust (2 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 smoke = 7): rolled 9, hit Right Torso (1/8 armor remains)!
- Gains 39 heat, sinks 38!

Crab (ACE)
- Fires ER Large Laser at Stormcrow Prime (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement - 4 enemy movement + 1 heat + 1 smoke = 2): automatically hit Center Torso (17/25 armor remains)!
- Fires ER Large Laser at Stormcrow Prime (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement - 4 enemy movement + 1 heat + 1 smoke = 2): automatically hit Center Torso (9/25 armor remains)!
- Gains 34 heat sinks 34! Overheating! ACE!

Unknown Assault
- Fires Snub-Nose PPC w/ PPC Capacitor (charged) at Atlas IIC (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 smoke = 6): rolled 12, hit Right Torso (17/32 armor remains)!
- Fires Plasma Rifle at Atlas IIC (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 smoke = 8): rolled 8, hit Left Leg (32/42 armor remains)! Atlas IIC gains 4 heat!
- Fires LB-10X Autocannon (cluster) at Atlas IIC (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 smoke = 6): rolled 11, 8 submunitions hit Right Leg (41/42 armor remains), Left Torso (26/32 armor remains), Center Torso (40/46 armor remains), Left Torso (25/32 armor remains), Left Torso (24/32 armor remains), Right Arm (24/33 armor remains), Left Arm (32/33 armor remains), Center Torso (39/46 armor remains)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Atlas IIC (2 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 smoke - 2 pulse laser = 8): rolled 7, miss!
- Gains 37 heat, sinks 26! Overheating! ACE!

Longbow
- Fires Large Laser at Ares Tank (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement - 4 enemy movement = 0): automatically hit rear (0/16 armor, 0/3 structure remains)! Tank destroyed!

Black Knight
- Holds fire!
- Gains 10 heat, sinks 36!

Excalibur
- Holds fire!
- Gains 10 heat, sinks 22!

Coyote
- Fires ER Large Laser at Mist Lynx Prime (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement - 4 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System = 3): rolled 8, hit Center Torso (2/10 armor remains)!
- Gains 24 heat, sinks 28!

Coyote
- Fires ER Large Laser at Mist Lynx Prime (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement - 4 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System = 3): rolled 9, hit Center Torso (0/10 armor, 2/8 structure remains)! Crit!

Coyote
- Fires ER Large Laser at Mist Lynx Prime (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement - 4 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System = 3): rolled 8, hit Center Torso (0/8 structure remains)! `Mech destroyed!

Coyote
- Fires ER Large Laser at Mist Lynx Prime (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement - 4 enemy movement + 1 Void Signature System = 3): rolled 9, hit Center Torso (2/10 armor remains)!

Chameleon
- Fires Large Laser at Dire Wolf H (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement = 5): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires TAG at Dire Wolf H (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement = 5): rolled 7, hit!
- Gains 14 heat sinks 32!

Phoenix
- Fires Variable Speed Large Pulse Laser at Mist Lynx Prime (2 base + 2 range + 3 movement - 4 enemy movement = 3): rolled 8, hit Center Torso (0/10 armor, 1/8 structure remains)! Crit!

Bobcat
- Fires Light PPC at Mist Lynx Prime (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement - 4 enemy movement = 1): automatically hit Center Torso (0/8 structure remains)! `Mech destroyed!

Longbow
- Fires LRM-20 w/ Artemis IV (Semi-Guided) at Dire Wolf H (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + enemy movement ignored + spotter movement ignored + spotter shooting ignored + indirect fire penalty ignored = 4): rolled 4, 12 missiles hit Left Arm (3/16 structure remains (Crit!)), Center Torso (16/47 armor remains), Left Arm (1/17 structure remains (Crit!))!
- Gains 6 heat, sinks 26!

???
- Fires LRM-20 w/ Artemis IV (Semi-Guided) at Dire Wolf H (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + enemy movement ignored + spotter movement ignored + spotter shooting ignored + indirect fire penalty ignored + 1 Void Signature System = 5): rolled 7, 16 missiles hit Right Arm (11/17 structure remains (Crit!)), Right Arm (6/17 structure remains (TAC!)), Right Arm (1/17 structure remains (Crit!)), Left Torso (7/21 structure remains (Crit!))!
- Fires LRM-20 w/ Artemis IV (Semi-Guided) at Dire Wolf H (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + enemy movement ignored + spotter movement ignored + spotter shooting ignored + indirect fire penalty ignored + 1 Void Signature System = 5): rolled 8, 20 missiles hit Left Torso (2/21 structure remains (Crit!)), Center Torso (11/47 armor remains), Right Arm (0/17 structure remains (Arm blown off!) damage transfers to Right Torso (7/32 armor remains)), Left Arm (0/17 structure remains (Arm blown off!) damage transfers to Left Torso (0/21 structure remains (Torso destroyed!) damage transfers to Center Torso (15/47 armor remains))!
- Gains 22 heat, sinks 26!

Locust
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Atlas IIC (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 4): rolled 9, hit Right Torso (12/32 armor remains)!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 20!

Locust
- Reverses arms!
- Fires Inferno SRM-2 at Atlas IIC (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 4): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Inferno SRM-2 at Atlas IIC (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 4): rolled 12, 2 missiles hit! Atlas IIC gains 4 heat!
- Fires Inferno SRM-2 at Atlas IIC (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 4): rolled 6, 1 missile hit! Atlas IIC gains 2 heat!
- Fires Inferno SRM-2 at Atlas IIC (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 4): rolled 3, miss!
- Gains 12 heat, sinks 20!

Physical Combat Phase:
Atlas IIC
- Kicks Locust (2 base + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 Clanner - 2 kick = 5): rolled 7, hit Right Leg (0/8 armor, 0/4 structure remains)! Leg blown off! `Mech destroyed!
- - Damage transfers to Right Torso (0/8 armor, 0/5 structure remains) Torso destroyed!

Locust
- Kicks Atlas IIC (3 base + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 kick = 3): rolled 7, hit Right Leg (37/42 armor remains)!

End Phase:
Atlas IIC
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (2 base + 0 kicked = 2): rolled 10, succeeds!

Next Turn’s Movement Phase
Crab
- TSM Activated!
- Gains ACE Status!

Black Knight
- Enters the Northern Mapsheet in hex 1101!

Excalibur
- Enters the Northern Mapsheet in hex 1301!

Coyote
- Enters the Northern Mapsheet in hex 2604!

Previously-hidden units or new arrivals are in RED

Special Rules
Overheat Ace: The Rim World Blackguard gain Ace status when they overheat by 10 points or more!

Blind: Enemy units are only visible in direct Line of Sight

Hidden Units: Some enemy units remain hidden until they attack. Additionally, units equipped with Void Signature Systems may expend a turn’s movement to hide themselves if they are not in direct line of sight.

Expect Surprises: When the players lose their Phase 1 units, they will gain control of a powerful Phase 2 unit. When the players lose their Phase 2 unit, they will still have a chance to influence the outcome of the battle with a Phase 3 unit. Some of these units start on the map, others will enter from elsewhere.

Player Status:

Glorious Deaths

Primary Objective:
- Defend Clan HQ Vehicles (0/3 remaining)

Secondary Objective
- Defeat as many enemy `Mechs as possible (17/39 defeated)
- Defend Clan Personnel (13 tents remain! )
- Defend Clan Equipment (13/36 units remaining)

Enemy Status / Movement Mods:
Command Lance
Unknown Assault “Amaris Pattern” #1 – Active +0
Coyote #6 – Active +2
Bobcat #1 – Destroyed

Assault Lance
Unknown Assault “Blackguard Pattern” #1 – Active +ACE
Unknown Assault “Blackguard Pattern” #2 – Active +1
Thug #1 – Destroyed
Thug #2 – Active +0

Battle Lance 1
Excalibur #1 – Active +1
Excalibur #2 – Active +2
Black Knight #1 – Active +2
Black Knight #2 – Active +2

Battle Lance 2 (I forgot the Coyotes all had Targeting Computers. Whoops!)
Coyote #1 – Active +2
Coyote #2 – Active +2
Coyote #3 – Active +2
Coyote #4 – Active +1

Battle Lance 3
Coyote #5 – Retreated
Hunchback #1 – Destroyed
Talon #1 – Destroyed
Chameleon #1 – Destroyed

Pursuit Lance
Bobcat #2 – Active +0
Bobcat #3 – Destroyed
Phoenix #1 – Active +0
Phoenix #2 – Destroyed

Strategic Reserve Lance
Chameleon #2 – Destroyed
Chameleon #3 – Destroyed
Crab #2 – Active +3
Hunchback #2 – Destroyed

Scout Lance 1
Stinger #1 – Destroyed
Stinger #2 – Destroyed
Stinger #3 – Destroyed
Stinger #4 – Destroyed

Scout Lance 2
Locust #1 – Destroyed
Locust #2 – Active +3
Locust #3 – Destroyed
Locust #4 – Destroyed

Support Lance
Longbow #1 – Destroyed
Longbow #2 – Active +1
Longbow #3 – Active +0
Longbow #4 – Active +0

Orders Due: Saturday Night!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Shoot everything that can reach at the crab. Smug bastard.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

goatface posted:

Shoot everything that can reach at the crab. Smug bastard.

I concur. Kill the crab, achieve (moral) victory.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
The Coyotes have Targeting Computers as well? loving hell.

Edit: Hey, so the Unknown Assault without a Lance is the commander of the operation? Forget the Crab, take him out.

Scintilla fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 9, 2014

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Thug in 1804 has been there since Turn 1, by the way.

It was going to be a surprise "Wait, we haven't had a new enemy wave yet! Where'd this come from?" once all of the phase 3 machines assembled for a defense of the MCCs on the plateau, but none of the "triggers" I set for revealing it ever got tripped.

The players did come pretty close to finding it once or twice, though!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 9, 2014

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
It's tempting to try and pick off that Lancer Unknown. Wait ... that's another one!

But perhaps it's best to call it and move on to the next mission. What can I actually do apart from take a few shots and waste time before the bullshit swarm closes around me?

Any other opinions?

Also, more bad rolling! Geez.

Kial fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 9, 2014

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
1st Somerset Strikers Scenario 9 "Malthus Attacks" Review

Same maps as last time.

The Attackers are:
EGO Star
Star Colonel Nikolai Malthus (p2g1) in his Summoner / Thor M (for Malthus :v: )
Mechwarrior Ciro (p5g4) in his Timberwolf / Mad Cat Prime
A grunt (p4g3) in a Hunchback IIC
A grunt (p4g3) in a Mad Dog / Vulture Prime
A grunt (p4g3) in a Mad Dog / Vulture Prime
Star Commander Natalia's Elemental Star (5 Points of Elementals) (they still have no stats) (Hi Natalia! Pytor's a better character but I still like you, you're not completely incompetent!)

Everything has EI Implants.

The Defenders are:
The shattered remains of Team MY HOME PLANET
Maj. Steiner (p2g2) in his AWS-9Ma Awesome (if he's still alive after the last mission)
Capt Hawkins (p4g3) in his MAL-1R Mauler (if he's still alive after the last mission)
"Capt." Ryder (p3g4) in his BSW-X1 Bushwhacker (if he's still alive after the last mission)
Commander Andrew Steiner (p4g3) in an AXM-2N Axman (if he's still alive after the last mission)
6 platoons of laser infantry (if any of them are still alive after the last mission)

Possible Reinforcements:
Franklin Sakamoto (no stats) in a SLH-X1 Sloth (WHYYYYYYYYYYY?!)
Kylee in a BSE-2X Banshee
3 more platoons of laser infantry

Deployment's still weird as gently caress. Remember that mapsheet we didn't use last scenario? Yeah, Malthus deploys on the far side of it. The Somerset Strikers occupy the same hexes they ended the last battle in, with Franklin's sloth showing up wherever the burnt-out husk of the Infiltrator is.

Speaking of Kylee's smouldering corpse, did the Clanners kill Kylee last mission? Congratulations! She's too dead to crash fly her Banshee and doesn't get to participate! Cross her off the reinforcements list and throw a party because you've changed history in a very positive way! Also, did the Clanners kill any of the 1st SS? You don't get them either! Is anyone badly damaged? Well tough, nobody gets repairs. They do get all of their ammo back, so if Hawkins lives but his Mauler has more holes than armor it's still going to have a full load of extremely explosive AC/2 ammunition for Malthus to detonate in the bins, even if he dumped it all out last scenario!

Did the Clanners manage to kill Andrew Steiner last scenario? No? Well poo poo, Malthus thinks he's Adam and can't attack anything except the Axman (even though he's seen Adam pilot the damned Awesome before). Is Adam Steiner still alive? He's giving all of his brutalized teammates that same +1 MY HOME PLANET morale bonus he was giving last scenario, even though the odds of the Strikers being lightly damaged enough to have a chance of winning this battle are about the same as the odds that I'll spontaneously develop the ability to teleport the entire population of planet Earth to Betelgeuse.

EGO Star wins a total victory if they wipe out the 1st SS. They get a partial if they just kill Adam Steiner (That's the less important of the two reasons you don't want to kill him with Star Colonel Redmond).

The shattered remains of Team MY HOME PLANET win a total victory if they destroy all of the Clan forces, and have no partial victory conditions.

An additional victory condition also exists: At any time if both Nikolai Malthus and Adam Steiner are alive, either player can call for a Trial of Possession for Somerset. Both players have to agree and if they do Malthus and Adam fight. Additionally, Adam's pet horse Rachel has to leave his cockpit so the Strikers lose her command console bonus ( :eyeroll: ). It says no `Mech may interfere with the duel but it doesn't say the other members of the 1st SS and the Clanners have to stop shooting each other (which is amazing and if I were the Clan player I would abuse the hell out of that loophole to murder the Somerset Strikers en masse). If Adam wins or Malthus wins, their side wins a decisive victory and the scenario ends. This is the only chance the Strikers have of actually winning the scenario, so if Redmond managed to shred Adam but left him alive then Malthus' fresh Thor M will probably kill him in a turn or three.

If either Adam or Malthus are dead the trial can't happen, so if Kristen killed him last scenario the Strikers probably have no chance at all of winning this battle.

Final Thoughts: The last mission was difficult but playable. This one is borderline impossible for the Strikers if the Clan player rejects the Trial or if Adam is too damaged to keep up with a fresh Thor M. Until the trial gets called, the Clan player will want to play cautiously with Malthus himself, but the Strikers probably don't have the luxury of sidelining Adam so every turn the Trial doesn't happen will likely only lessen the Strikers' chance for victory.

Next time: I write my very own 1st Somerset Strikers Scenario, based on a real episode of the show!

Should I write the scenario about :
A) That time Kylee failed her Mechwarrior Homework by losing a game of Mechwarrior Online and got kicked out of the Nagelring!
B) That time Adam fought in Space!
C) That time Adam almost got killed by a computer!
D) That time Kristen Redmond shot at a Space Ostrich!
E) That time Ciro tried to murder Adam!
F) All of them at once in some sort of horrifying mishmash abomination of BattleScience!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 9, 2014

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
F) All of them at once in some sort of horrifying mishmash abomination of BattleScience!

Why do you even ask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

PoptartsNinja posted:

F. I want to see how you'll pull this off. :getin:

• Locked thread