Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Remmon
Dec 9, 2011

Dachshundofdoom posted:

$500 custom skins for single mechs verges on self-parody. Hell, it is self-parody; at this point PGI clearly just wants to see the world burn.

It's actually $500 for a premium version of every clan chassis in the release tree at this time, plus 2 normal variants of each. And one of those premium 'mechs has a gold skin.
The extra cost over the pack that includes all the aforementioned 'mechs but lacks the gold skin is 'only' $260.

It's still insane of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Remmon posted:

It's still insane of course.

Looks like someone hasn't played EVE.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Saint Celestine posted:

Looks like someone hasn't played EVE.

A full year of EVE is $120 assuming you can't become self-sufficient and pay with in-game currency. Unless something changed, they don't sell you ships for $USD.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Chronojam posted:

A full year of EVE is $120 assuming you can't become self-sufficient and pay with in-game currency. Unless something changed, they don't sell you ships for $USD.

"Technically" they dont, but then again, you have Russian aluminum magnates spending thousands of real dollars on pretend spaceships.

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/65475/page/2

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011
I have actually played Eve Online. It's STILL insane though. As are the people who spent $1000+ on Star Citizen.

And now back to our main event, giant stompy robots who are about to do some stomping?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Chronojam posted:

Well, $200 really. How can you not have a monocle?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
You steal your Monocle, just like a real robber-baron.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Trial By Fire: Tactical Update 2

“This is amazing,” Cadet Shoji praised with an irritating crackle. Helmet microphones never picked up his voice well, so he’d often have to up the sensitivity to be heard in the heat of battle. His DI computer painted a vague estimation of things beyond the woods; the blocky outlines of buildings and shipping containers. Shoji couldn’t see them himself, but the near-instantaneous feed from Lucaino’s Crab let his computer fill in details it wouldn’t normally have. He hovered his crosshairs over the outline of the building, but they remained cold and dark—the pulsing yellow dot of a hard lock never appeared.

“This targeting data is incredible,” he continued, resisting the urge to smash his thumb down on his primary target interlock and send one of his armor-piercing sabot rounds downfield. “It looks like we’ll still need a clear firing line to make use of it.”

“It doesn’t give range markers,” Silas, the lance’s Crusader pilot, interjected. “So it doesn’t help with indirect fire. It should let us finesse longer range shots if someone closer has a clear shot.”

“Guess that means I’m on scout duty,” Chase had the same deadpan voice as a few scouts Shoji had known prior: men who prized speed above all else. Shoji expected a Sentinel was probably a bit too slow for Chase’s tastes, the other man couldn’t quite keep the disappointment from infecting his tone. “Any targets yet?”

“I had a blip to the northwest. Fast jumper in a tight arc,” Lucaino was calm and steady as he described one of the better jump-jet strategies: using the jets in tightly-controlled bursts to rise only high enough to clear the tallest obstacle in the way rather than making a huge parabolic jump that left the target hanging in the air for all to see. “No positive ident but it’s fast.”

“Well,” Chase’s Sentinel made a fair shake at snapping its fingers. “At least we know the gyrojet ammo’s going to be useful.”

Post-Movement Phase

Combat Phase
Crab (Player)
- Fires ER Large Laser at Cargo Container 1722 (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement - 4 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 4): rolled 11, hit (7/15 durability remaining)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Cargo Container 1722 (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement - 4 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 6): rolled 6, hit (2/15 durability remaining)!
- Fires ER Large Laser at Cargo Container 1923: no line-of sight to target!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Cargo Container 1923: no line-of sight to target!
- Gains heat 19, sinks 36!

Battlemaster (Player)
- Fires Plasma Rifle at Building Hex 1622: no Line of Sight to target!
- Gains heat 2, sinks 34!

Coyote (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains heat, sinks 30!

Sentinel (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains heat, sinks 20!

Shadow Hawk (Player)
- Fires Light AC/5 at Building Hex 1622: no Line of Sight to target!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Building Hex 1622: no Line of Sight to target!
- Gains heat, sinks 20!

Crusader (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains heat, sinks 20!

Enemy Movement

Player Status:

Neutral Forces:

Opposing Force (level)
Cyclops (Mk. ?) – Ran +1
Woodsman Prime (Mk. 6) – Walked +1
Mountain Lion (Mk. 4) – Ran +2
Thunderbolt (Mk. ?) – Walked +1
Kintaro (Mk. ?) – Ran +3
Wolverine (Mk. ?) – Walked +1
Coyotl A (Mk. 6) – Jumped +3
Commando (Mk. ?) – Ran +3

Mission Objective:
Plunder Recovered (0/1500 points)

Secondary Objectives:
Enemy Units Damaged (0/400 points)
Penalty Accrued (-0/-300 points)

Orders Due: Saturday Night!

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Having the movement and post-movement phases represented as different mapsheets is pretty neat. Also loving the cool zig-zag pattern for The Watcher's movement line.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm trying out different things to improve the thread experience. If people like it, I'll probably keep doing it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
the movement lines are incredibly helpful for me to parse the thing, so A+ do like.

e: I do wish the "Enemy Movement" line was an image like this, except with a mech:

but that's probably too much effort for a throwaway reference :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 30, 2014

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Is... Is that a hidden Atlas in 1415?

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
I approve of having allied and enemy movements done in seperate map sheets. Helps to keep things clearly about which side is moving where.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Ice Fist posted:

Is... Is that a hidden Atlas in 1415?

Nothing hidden about it, it's another piece of battlefield detritus that could contain plunder. Or it might contain nothing!

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm trying out different things to improve the thread experience. If people like it, I'll probably keep doing it.

I like it, but could you timg it in the future so it's not perma-big?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Those look great. I hope this layout sticks around.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

A bit improvement for me, much more readable and easier to follow. Thank you, I hope it doesn't take too much time to do.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Just as a heads up to the players: You can't see through three hexes of light woods, they block your line of sight. For targeting purposes, a heavy woods hex (dark green) count as two hexes of light woods.

Edit: More than three. More than.

Runa fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 30, 2014

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Crusader here. Going through the trees was my first idea, but I don't think I can let my slow speed be eaten up so much. Considering heading to 1329 this turn, for 1325 and a clear view of the first couple of objectives next turn. What do others think?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

PoptartsNinja posted:

Nothing hidden about it, it's another piece of battlefield detritus that could contain plunder. Or it might contain nothing!

By your obviously evasive answer I can only assume that this is a trap and that the Atlas is going to begin shooting the players with instakill death rays.

What I mean is that a player is going to trip over it and die.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Crab
Planning to move to 1728 and proceed through the woods from there.

Sentinel, Shadow Hawk - Should we move up through the woods while the heavies go for the ridge along 0527-1026? We can spot for the heavies while maintaining better move mods. Also we can rush to pick up objectives they blow up.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Anyone have any ideas what my/the Coyote's plans should be? Also, how does elevation factor into movement?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Z the IVth posted:

Shadow Hawk - Should we move up through the woods while the heavies go for the ridge along 0527-1026? We can spot for the heavies while maintaining better move mods. Also we can rush to pick up objectives they blow up.

Yes.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

JT Jag posted:

Anyone have any ideas what my/the Coyote's plans should be? Also, how does elevation factor into movement?

Changing elevation by 1 expends 1 MP.

You can change elevation by up to 2 (the height of your mech) in a single go.

Assuming clear hexes:
Moving from height 0->1 = 2 MP
Moving from height 0->2 = 3 MP
Moving from height 0->3 = ERROR

Moving from height 1->0 = 2 MP
Moving from height 2->0 = 3 MP
Moving from height 3->0 = Faceplant

Edit for suggestions: Maybe you could go over the ridge and dance with the two enemies approaching through the forest? You're pretty fast, and you have decent range with your big guns. Remember how the Coyote in the last mission played, dancing around all over the place until the Kraken died.

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 30, 2014

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Z the IVth posted:

Crab
Planning to move to 1728 and proceed through the woods from there.

Sentinel, Shadow Hawk - Should we move up through the woods while the heavies go for the ridge along 0527-1026? We can spot for the heavies while maintaining better move mods. Also we can rush to pick up objectives they blow up.

You'll be safe for the turn you're in the woods. The shadow hawk won't have any trouble hopping in and out of there, so I see no reason the Hawk shouldn't. The Sentinel however will be bogged down hard by those trees.

Edit: I suppose the Sentinel could hang out in 1528 and face north. You'd lose 3 or 4 MP (I forget what water does to movement) on your way out, but you'd be fairly safe for this turn.

apostateCourier fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 30, 2014

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
The slower units would probably be better off climbing to height 1 and skirting the base of the hill. Trying to move through the forests will just burn up your MP.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

apostateCourier posted:

You'll be safe for the turn you're in the woods. The shadow hawk won't have any trouble hopping in and out of there, so I see no reason the Hawk shouldn't. The Sentinel however will be bogged down hard by those trees.

Edit: I suppose the Sentinel could hang out in 1528 and face north. You'd lose 3 or 4 MP (I forget what water does to movement) on your way out, but you'd be fairly safe for this turn.

We have an area of cover with the ridge and forest largely stopping anyone in the open area north of the XX25 line firing into our deployment area. I think our best bet for an opening would be to stay just behind the ridge/in the forest until a target reveals itself before we step out and alpha-strike them. I don't think it would be a great idea for any of us to go solo out past the XX25 line in the current state, as the enemy can pretty much do the same thing to us from their position with the Kintaro, Coyotl and Mountain Lion.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

apostateCourier posted:

I forget what water does to movement.

+1 mp per water hex, and you can't run

VVV It never costs more to turn.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 30, 2014

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Does it cost more to turn around, or just move through?

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

apostateCourier posted:

I suppose the Sentinel could hang out in 1528 and face north. You'd lose 3 or 4 MP (I forget what water does to movement) on your way out, but you'd be fairly safe for this turn.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I vaguely remember something about leg mounted heat sinks being more effective, as if that makes any difference. Going into the water in general seems like a bad idea.

Having the heavier units skirt the southern edge of the hill while the faster units dart into the southernmost forest so they can get some more shots off at the boxes seems like a decent strategy, with future moves by the heavy units to advance north into the forest starting at 1022/1122 with the lights moving to the forests a bit farther east.

I really really miss having the line of sight, percentages, etc from megamek available, they've made me quite lazy when it comes to plotting out moves in advance.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Baudin posted:

I vaguely remember something about leg mounted heat sinks being more effective

Any submerged heat sink doubles in effectiveness. So a `Mech in depth 2 water or deeper gets twice the heat capacity. The downside is, projectile weapons, PPCs, and missiles don't work underwater, and other energy weapons have greatly reduced ranges.

Water can also knock you over just by moving through it, although it's pretty easy to avoid unless you're completely submerged.

VVV Yeah, I should've been more specific. You can't run while you're still in water, but if you move out you can run normally.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 30, 2014

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

PoptartsNinja posted:

Technically, you can run out of water.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Any submerged heat sink doubles in effectiveness. So a `Mech in depth 2 water or deeper gets twice the heat capacity. The downside is, projectile weapons, PPCs, and missiles don't work underwater, and other energy weapons have greatly reduced ranges.

Water can also knock you over just by moving through it, although it's pretty easy to avoid unless you're completely submerged.

VVV Yeah, I should've been more specific. You can't run while you're still in water, but if you move out you can run normally.

So the Sentinel wouldn't have the MP to get into the water? Or is it only moving from water hex to water hex?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Scintilla posted:

The slower units would probably be better off climbing to height 1 and skirting the base of the hill. Trying to move through the forests will just burn up your MP.

This is what I'm doing. Moving north 3 hexes to 1228, which should take 4 MP. Next turn I'll probably go right towards the containers. I'm trying to decide if I should turn facing northeast or just wait. Turning will give me another +1 for running and either way I'm not going to get down the north end of the hill. But it would make moving through/into the forest easier if I need to.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

apostateCourier posted:

So the Sentinel wouldn't have the MP to get into the water? Or is it only moving from water hex to water hex?

Any time you enter a water hex. I'll need to double check but I'm pretty sure it's either impossible to enter water at a run, or an automatic fall if you do so.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Any time you enter a water hex. I'll need to double check but I'm pretty sure it's either impossible to enter water at a run, or an automatic fall if you do so.

:stonk: Yeah nevermind don't do what I recommended, it's a bad idea.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Water is extremely dangerous, respect it or something like this might happen

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Edit: More than three. More than.

Incorrect. Total Warfare, page 100, near the bottom. What it amounts to is that if the modifier for the woods (or smoke) is 3 or more, you do not have LoS. Note, however, that this is for intervening terrain. The hex you and your target are in do not count towards this, if they contain woods or other LoS obscuring features. You'd still take a penalty to hit a target in a Light Woods hex, for example, but if there were 2 other hexes with Light Woods in between you and him, you would be able to take the shot. If the target was in a hex with no terrain, but there were 3 Light woods hexes between you two, you would not have LoS.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Shoeless posted:

Incorrect. Total Warfare, page 100, near the bottom. What it amounts to is that if the modifier for the woods (or smoke) is 3 or more, you do not have LoS. Note, however, that this is for intervening terrain. The hex you and your target are in do not count towards this, if they contain woods or other LoS obscuring features. You'd still take a penalty to hit a target in a Light Woods hex, for example, but if there were 2 other hexes with Light Woods in between you and him, you would be able to take the shot. If the target was in a hex with no terrain, but there were 3 Light woods hexes between you two, you would not have LoS.

Whoops, guess I was right the first time. :pseudo:

Anyway, that's just a friendly reminder to not try to shoot things through a forest, at least not without getting closer first. Even a stationary target can't be hit if your unit can't actually see it. With direct fire that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Poptarts, do any of the hostile forces have vision on 1325? If not, that's not a bad place for the Sentinel to be.

• Locked thread