Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kial
Jul 23, 2006
This is going to turn into a excellent bloodbath! Should be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Orders are in. Moving to 1328 and shooting some boxes.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Deadlines are coming up, don't miss `em!

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

someone needs to go prone in a few turns to piss off the Watcher (and PTN).

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Why would that bother me?

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

tuluk posted:

someone needs to go prone in a few turns to piss off the Watcher (and PTN).

Assuming PTN is using the latest errata you actually need LoS from the spotter to take advantage of C3 now. So no more going prone behind a hill 2-3 hexes away and hiding while everyone else unleashes hell.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's been mentioned some pages back, the C3 errata was mentioned in fluff and is definitely in play.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
A request to my fellow pilots since we don't have a GoogleDoc - Can you post your final move (destination hex and target) after you send it? Hopefully it will stop us from colliding into each other and accidentally overkilling any innocent boxes.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

PoptartsNinja posted:

Why would that bother me?

it's a seldom used movement in this LP thread that would cause more work for you if used constantly.
the prone state would be moderately useful in this scenario thanks to the c3 system n players mechs
(c3 system + indirect fire + better cover by going prone in a forest hex).
and players forgetting about their prone state when trying to move is a classic "that's battletech" event.

you could also start using the "going prone" mechanic for players who keep missing orders deadlines.
slight movement cost +negible pilot skill role required at beginning of scenarios but more and more dangerous as battle damage happens.
however that would make more work for you in the long run.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

tuluk posted:

it's a seldom used movement in this LP thread that would cause more work for you if used constantly.
the prone state would be moderately useful in this scenario thanks to the c3 system n players mechs
(c3 system + indirect fire + better cover by going prone in a forest hex).
and players forgetting about their prone state when trying to move is a classic "that's battletech" event.

you could also start using the "going prone" mechanic for players who keep missing orders deadlines.
slight movement cost +negible pilot skill role required at beginning of scenarios but more and more dangerous as battle damage happens.
however that would make more work for you in the long run.

C3i does not help with indirect fire.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

apostateCourier posted:

C3i does not help with indirect fire.

Indeed it does not. And you don't get shared targeting data if you don't have LoS to the target.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

fair enough. c3 & c3i always confuse me since I've never encountered them on tabletop.

also defiance industries: you were right about the COMSTAR sourcebook.
I am focus reading it this time instead of skimming through it for highlights.
the word of blake craziness really starts to seep through when Conrad Toyama gets introduced and comes up with the COMSTAR name.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It begins. :ughh:

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Is this my fault? It feels like it's my fault.

I would like to state that I had a very small amount of time to come up with orders.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

apostateCourier posted:

Is this my fault?

Not even slightly!

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
Picard is holding in his brain after a headshot, isn't he.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
I tripped and fell off the cliff?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Everyone who got their orders in did just fine.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Everyone who got their orders in did just fine.

:ughh: Welp.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Well, it's kinda that way at the start of every mission. Or at least, it feels that way.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Trial By Fire: Tactical Update 3

“Think they’ll play defensive, or attack us?”

“I have no idea,” Cadet Ariana replied. “Does it matter?”

“If they attack us? It probably doesn’t,” Silas drawled, “But if they play defensive they’ll probably cluster around the real targets.”

“What if they bunch up around the fakes instead,” Lucaino teased in deadpan amusement, “To get us to waste time and keep us under their guns for longer? What then?”

“Doesn’t make sense,” Silas countered. “They’ll want to keep something close enough to prevent an easy score—”

Rayford barely heard his companions’ chatter, he was far too engrossed in the mass of targeting data flooding his `Mech’s advanced targeting computer. He toggled rapidly between his allies, targeting each in turn and marveling as his computer spat up algorithm after algorithm and drew an appropriate outline on his hud to help him hit with whichever primary weapon he had selected. A human pilot could still surprise a computer, but it was such a powerful tool it almost felt like cheating.

The chatter of his compatriots died in an instant, snapping Rayford from his targeting game.

“Is there something wrong with your machine, cadet?” the Watcher’s mechanical tone left no doubt that the pilot knew Rayford wasn’t having technical issues.

“Nossir!” Rayford replied, then winced, squeezed the transmitter, and repeated himself in an actual broadcast.

“There will be time enough to play with your new toy,” the Watcher’s voice was unsympathetic, but not cruel. “If you pass this trial. Your lance is leaving you behind. Best rejoin them, aye?”

Movement Phase
Crusader
- Player w/out internet, temporarily controlled by apostateCourier

Coyote
- No orders received

Combat Phase
Crab (Player)
- Fires ER Large Laser at Cargo Container 0419: no Line of Sight to target!
- Fires ER Large Laser at Cargo Container 0419: no Line of Sight to target!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 36!

Battlemaster (Player)
- Fires Plasma Rifle at Cargo Container 1722: no Line of Sight to target!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 34!

Coyote (Player)
- No orders received!
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 30!

Sentinel (Player)
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Cargo Container 1722 (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement - 4 enemy movement + 2 light woods = 5): rolled 4, miss!
- Gains 7 heat, sinks 20!

Shadow Hawk (Player)
- Fires Light AC/5 (Armor Piercing) at Building Hex 1924: no Line of Sight to target!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Building Hex 1924: no Line of Sight to target!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Building Hex 1924: no Line of Sight to target!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 20!

Crusader (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 1 heat, sinks 20!

Player Status:

Neutral Forces:

Opposing Force (level)
Cyclops (Mk. ?) – Ran +2
Woodsman Prime (Mk. 6) – Ran +0
Mountain Lion (Mk. 4) – Walked +0
Thunderbolt (Mk. ?) – Ran +1
Kintaro (Mk. ?) – Ran +2
Wolverine (Mk. ?) – Ran +1
Coyotl A (Mk. 6) – Ran +3
Commando (Mk. ?) – Ran +2

Mission Objective:
Plunder Recovered (0/1500 points)

Secondary Objectives:
Enemy Units Damaged (0/400 points)
Penalty Accrued (-0/-300 points)

Orders Due: Tuesday Night!

PTN's Note: People are clearly having some trouble identifying the actual objectives. They have been marked in orange!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

A bit of an unsteady start. The one weapon which actually drew line of sight to its target missed on a 5.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Since I'm clearly not doing los correctly: how tall are trees? Shouldn't I have been able to shoot over them to the containers?

And follow up, if I go to 1324 would I have los on the Coyotl? I can't tell if that 2 height hex interferes or not.

Great Beer fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 3, 2014

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Great Beer posted:

Since I'm clearly not doing los correctly: how tall are trees? Shouldn't I have been able to shoot over them to the containers?

There's a building in the way and you're right on the 50/50 line for cover. Whenever LOS is 50/50, the tie favors the target.

In this case, since the target is inanimate and can't actually make a choice, the tie favors it being in cover.

But to answer your other question: Trees are height 2, so they're the same height as a BattleMech.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 3, 2014

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm getting a bit confused as well. I thought Mechs are height 2? In which case I should be looking over that Height 1 contour with a clear LOS to my target?

> M =========V
> M ---- XXXX
> ------------------

With M being the Mech, X being the boxes and the --- the terrain.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Z the IVth posted:

I'm getting a bit confused as well. I thought Mechs are height 2? In which case I should be looking over that Height 1 contour with a clear LOS to my target?

> M =========V
> M ---- XXXX
> ------------------

With M being the Mech, X being the boxes and the --- the terrain.

I knew that was going to come up.

Your shot would've gone straight into the ground, I'm afraid.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Oh. I could've gone another hex. I feel somewhat stupid now.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
No biggie. Your plan's a good one though, so you may want to send it Cloud Potato's way once he's back from moving house.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Might as well post it here, as one 'mech can't hold down the fort unassisted.

Poptarts wants the hill. It's pretty clear he's charging it. It has solid sightlines to every single objective in the south half of the map, and he can pick us apart at his leisure if he takes it. We need to render him unwilling or unable to take the hill.

Here is my plan.

Basically, we're going to have to split into two teams to make this work, they're swinging down too hard on the left side to ignore and if we push too hard on the objectives to the right they'll just come in behind us and rip us a new one. We can't just storm up the right side, because we need to keep an exit corridor open for running loot.

Team Mako is everything 65 tons and up.
Team Hammerhead is everything smaller than that.

Team Mako needs to take the hill- not necessarily by being physically on the hill, but making it a bad idea for the enemy to go anywhere near it. An LRM boat (the Crusader) in that little pocket at 0727 would have clear sight lines on every objective on the south side of the map.

Team Hammerhead should continue to the objectives on the right, but should try to keep the north end of the hill in sight and within the maximum range of their bigger guns. That way, that zone is rendered into our own Bat Country through the wonders of C3i.

So, that's my idea.

PoptartsNinja posted:

No biggie. Your plan's a good one though, so you may want to send it Cloud Potato's way once he's back from moving house.

It does matter though, because now it'll take the Crusader a whole extra turn to get into position.

Edit: There you go, Psion.

apostateCourier fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 4, 2014

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I like that plan. I'm thinking of going to 1324 and then moving towards/into the tree line near the southeast hill. It should give me cover from the mechs at the southwest cache while forcing them to get in close to me if they want the hill. My only concern is if I can hit the coyote, since it would be the only thing in sight. 3 turns off not hitting anything doesn't sit well with me.

My other option is 1126 on the hill, which should give me plenty of shots next turn but not a lot of options for movement.

Great Beer fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 3, 2014

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

apostateCourier posted:

Might as well post it here, as one 'mech can't hold down the fort unassisted.

rename these Team Mako and Team Hammerhead, tia

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

3 main choices I have-

1- Run straight ahead, position myself to get into the first lines backfield next turn plus get a +3 movement mod. Problem- puts me infront of the second line of 'Mechs, won't end well
2- Jink left to 1123, get some cover from everyone but the Coyotl, who I can plink at. Next turn, can fade into the trees or run in for C3i data
3- Head for the objective at 1722- park at 1723, use the building for cover

I'll follow the heavies lead, gimme a preference and I'll provide support.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

If it was me I'd go with 3- you can fire away at the Coyotl from 1723 with torso twist- both AC/5s are on you left arm, with the Battlemaster moving up it'll be a medium range shot and precision ammo shaves off 2 points of movement mod- so you should be shooting at 8s. You should be able to peg him at least once assuming you don't hit legs.

apostateCourier fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 4, 2014

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
Generally, in terms of height you should almost always assume the forest will block LOS.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Crab

I'm thinking of pushing up to 1824 and sniping at the Coyotl with my ERLLs while I fire my ERMLs at the boxes.

If the Coyote can move up a little and provide C3i to the Coyotl it will give allow those of us on the right flank to fire in support.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
What happens if the players just destroy the opposition entirely? Sure, they'll lose some points from the damage they take doing so, but they should earn them back from winning the fight and if holding the field counts as capturing all salvage then 300 points either way is probably moot.

I'm not saying that should be Plan A, but it looks like the defenders are moving decisively to force the issue, and if it's going to be a fight either way you might be best advised to focus on that instead of splitting your efforts with shooting boxes and carting loot around while the hostiles are giving you their undivided attention.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Wouldn't surprise me if PTN taps out/in units as we deal damage. Doubt we'll be in a position to win the field, hence why the standard PayDay plan (shoot cops, throw bags) should be our plan.

GB, your call- want me to help shoot and give C3i data, or break off and get the first set of containers? Prefer #1, Apostate has a good point w/ #2

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I shoot for a 20% BV advantage in missions without ACE or other gimmicks to keep things even between the players and the opForce.

Even accounting for the IS weapons on the Omnis, the players C3i, and the handicap 600 bv Commando, I still have that in this mission.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Paingod556 posted:

Wouldn't surprise me if PTN taps out/in units as we deal damage. Doubt we'll be in a position to win the field, hence why the standard PayDay plan (shoot cops, throw bags) should be our plan.

GB, your call- want me to help shoot and give C3i data, or break off and get the first set of containers? Prefer #1, Apostate has a good point w/ #2

I vote go for the containers. You're fast enough to break off and back up the heavies if needed. And the faster we get our objectives completed the fewer points we lose to damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Z the IVth posted:

Crab

I'm thinking of pushing up to 1824 and sniping at the Coyotl with my ERLLs while I fire my ERMLs at the boxes.

If the Coyote can move up a little and provide C3i to the Coyotl it will give allow those of us on the right flank to fire in support.

You don't have enough MP to make it to 1824. Moving through light woods costs 2 MP and moving through heavy costs 3. You could get to 1724 though. Although your hit chances will be abysmal:

3 Base + 2 Movement + 2 Range + 3 Enemy Movement + 1 Partial Cover = 11.

Since the Coyotl is also in partial cover even if you do manage to hit you might not do any damage. My advice would be to just shoot up the containers at 1722 and 1923 rather than risk a long shot that probably won't pay off.

• Locked thread