Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I've played so much mech commander that I have those pilot hit sound bytes burned in to my head something fierce. OW OH MAN IM BLEEDIN. Twitch and Longshot always turn in to the best pilots though so :<

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
PTN

I've noticed that for the Thunderbolt's shooting at the Sentinel, you count the Sent as having only +2 for woods. However, there are 2 light woods between it and the Thud AND it's in light woods. While that doesn't block LoS it would push the to-hit up by one, thus meaning the LRM and Medium Laser would miss. Thus the second TAC would not occur from the LRM. I don't know if only having 1 engine crit would save the Sentinel, but I figured it was a big enough thing that it warranted bringing up.

Also, Goons should definitely try to get the Battlemaster to 1718, good call there Great Beer, and the Shad can easily jump to 1617 for backshotting as well. With a Heavy and Light woods between you and the Thud/Wolverine they would NOT have LoS to you, and getting more shots into the Mountain Lion's back is a REALLY good thing. JT Jag, you really do not want to split up from the group, I would heavily urge you not to try to follow the Wolverine and Thud and instead move back in with the rest of the group and try to pound the Mountain Lion to dust this turn.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I think the Coyote is still on the ground. We may have to go to him and loop around to the containers on the left side.

The enemy mechs appear to be moving towards the north of the corridor the mountain lion is in. We might have a chance to get up there and grab our loot before they make it but fuuuuuck dealing with 23 tons of hardened armor.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Nice shooting by the Coyote, dealing some decent damage to the Mountain Lion's leg there. And it didn't even bother to get up to do so, too. Hopefully someone will take that leg out sooner rather than later. Taking out the Kintaro with a Armor Piercing TAC to the Gyro was pretty lucky as well.

You guys should probably collapse back into a group while taking out the immediate threat of the Mountain Lion and taking some potshots against some of the mechs further away that are threatening you. Make sure the Coyote gets back up, then move against the crates on the west side of the map to see if they contain objectives. Getting some plunder is the stated objective of this training mission after all...

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Mechcommander 2 is ridiculously easy though given that the AI is programmed to attack the first mech it sees and nothing else.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

GhostStalker posted:

Nice shooting by the Coyote, dealing some decent damage to the Mountain Lion's leg there. And it didn't even bother to get up to do so, too. Hopefully someone will take that leg out sooner rather than later. Taking out the Kintaro with a Armor Piercing TAC to the Gyro was pretty lucky as well.

You guys should probably collapse back into a group while taking out the immediate threat of the Mountain Lion and taking some potshots against some of the mechs further away that are threatening you. Make sure the Coyote gets back up, then move against the crates on the west side of the map to see if they contain objectives. Getting some plunder is the stated objective of this training mission after all...

Potshots BAAAD focus fire GOOD

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Gwaihir posted:

Potshots BAAAD focus fire GOOD

True enough. Focus down the Mountain Lion and the Coyotl first, then collapse in and move on to the objectives in the west. Just watch the fire from range while dealing with those close in, then shift fire to those guys when moving on the probable targets there.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Great Beer posted:

I think the Coyote is still on the ground. We may have to go to him and loop around to the containers on the left side.

I don't see how that matters. He's 5/8 he can get up and move a bit. My point was that he really shouldn't decide to Leroy Jenkins a second time.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Shoeless posted:

PTN

I've noticed that for the Thunderbolt's shooting at the Sentinel, you count the Sent as having only +2 for woods. However, there are 2 light woods between it and the Thud AND it's in light woods. While that doesn't block LoS it would push the to-hit up by one, thus meaning the LRM and Medium Laser would miss. Thus the second TAC would not occur from the LRM. I don't know if only having 1 engine crit would save the Sentinel, but I figured it was a big enough thing that it warranted bringing up.

Also, Goons should definitely try to get the Battlemaster to 1718, good call there Great Beer, and the Shad can easily jump to 1617 for backshotting as well. With a Heavy and Light woods between you and the Thud/Wolverine they would NOT have LoS to you, and getting more shots into the Mountain Lion's back is a REALLY good thing. JT Jag, you really do not want to split up from the group, I would heavily urge you not to try to follow the Wolverine and Thud and instead move back in with the rest of the group and try to pound the Mountain Lion to dust this turn.

Probably need a clarification on whether the Sentinel is still alive or not.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
It still took an engine hit, so it's still out of the fight (just with slightly fewer angry technicians after the mission). Sorry, Paingod.

Actually, screw it. He's still up.

I also forgot to apply the +2 penalty for the Coyote shooting from prone.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 29, 2014

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Dressed Crab - Orders In

Moving to 1519 and unloading on the Mountain Lion.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Might want to do 1619- I think at 1519 you would have +1 to hit from trees in LoS?

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

PoptartsNinja posted:

It still took an engine hit, so it's still out of the fight (just with slightly fewer angry technicians after the mission). Sorry, Paingod.

Actually, screw it. He's still up.

I also forgot to apply the +2 penalty for the Coyote shooting from prone.

Guess I should get orders in

... Suggestions for not loving up? Tempted to reverse and go for more crates, but rejoining with you blokes is likely smarter. Can keep up move mods in the process

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Moving north to 1718, murdering the Mountain Lion. Can't wait to see how I mess this up. Sadly I cannot kick the bastard. But he shall die.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

I can make 1620, shall I join the Lion dogpile?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I await with bated breath how PTN will explain in the fluff the Sentinel getting back in the game. :allears:

To be clear - I'm commenting on PTN's storytelling skills and nothing else.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Just an (I hope unnecessary) reminder that orders are due tonight.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

anakha posted:

I await with bated breath how PTN will explain in the fluff the Sentinel getting back in the game. :allears:

To be clear - I'm commenting on PTN's storytelling skills and nothing else.

Cadet Paingod kicks the computer until it starts sending bogus green signals to the Watcher.

"Engine hit sir? What engine hit?"

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Paingod556 posted:

I can make 1620, shall I join the Lion dogpile?

Could either do that or just run straight to 1625 for a +3 move mod and be in light woods. I don't know whether you'd be able to see the Lion through the building the Coyotl is on, but you would be at short range with your AC/5s for the Commando, and with Precision rounds I believe you'd be hitting him on 6s (3 base +0 range +2 you ran +3 Commando move mod -2 precision rounds = 6).

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Z the IVth posted:

Cadet Paingod kicks the computer until it starts sending bogus green signals to the Watcher.

"Engine hit sir? What engine hit?"

Is it wrong that I really hope this becomes the solution? Go all 'Kirk takes the Kobayashi Maru' on 'em.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Kirk probably would've fit into Battletech pretty well. Giving the classic overhead punch to some Clan elementals, teaching Natasha Kerensky what this Spheroid thing we call love is, and finding aliens at least marginally more interesting than the bird people. Plus, whatever Mech he piloted would always lose all its ranged weapons at the start of every fight and end up with an exposed torso.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 30, 2014

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Dolash posted:

Kirk probably would've fit into Battletech pretty well. Giving the classic overhead punch to some Clan elementals, teaching Natasha Kerensky what this Spheroid thing we call love is, and finding aliens at least marginally more interesting than the bird people. Plus, whatever Mech he piloted would always lose all its ranged weapons at the start of every fight and end up with an exposed torso.

Nah, Kirk would have been one of the few ACE LAM pilots in Battletech.
aka Kirk is Jeremiah Youngblood.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
That was probably not the best move.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

PoptartsNinja posted:

That was probably not the best move.

Did someone stand perfectly still and turn to expose their rear armour to the opfor at close range?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Almost.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 31, 2014

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Trial By Fire: Tactical Update 10

“Watcher,” Chase asked indignantly. “You’re here to watch us fight, aren’t you?”

“Correct.”

“Then I suggest you watch me fight, rather than calling me ‘out’ like this is a game of tag.” Chase’s fingers worked furiously in their heavy, fireproof gloves. Although most BattleMech controls were gesture based in the Republic’s PA(L) Cockpit, there were still enough buttons and triggers to keep a person occupied.

“I have done so. Your machine is property of the 331st. Continuing the fight puts your BattleMech at risk.”

“It’s my responsibility to judge the battle-worthiness of my machine,” Chase countered. “It’s fit to fight. If I get it destroyed, that’s on my head. Or are you questioning my judgment as a warrior?”

“Very well,” the Watcher’s emotionless voice still managed to drip with condescension. “Warrior. You wish to fight on, you fight on alone. Your score will now be judged independently from the rest of your lance.”

Chase snorted. The points hardly mattered if he wasn’t around to earn them anyway. Without another thought he charged, his Sentinel bursting from the trees like a prehistoric monster. His eyes settled on an enemy machine sporting the harsh white of the ComGuard and he came about in an instant. It wasn’t paying attention to him. Easy prey.

As if sensing his bloodlust, or perhaps simply following the motion of the Battlemaster, the Mountain Lion twisted silently. Chase opened fire with his autocannons, shattering the last precious scraps of armor protecting the heavier machine’s arm. It didn’t flinch, but swept the Sentinel’s legs with its pulse laser. Chase flinched, trying to dance backwards at the last instant. His hesitation was precisely what the enemy pilot was waiting for.

It shot him in the chest with a bolt of superheated plasma, vaporizing frame members and sending the Sentinel crashing bonelessly to the ground. A moment later, the Watcher’s voice warbled over Chase’s short-range helmet radio.

“I warned you. Warrior.”

Movement Phase
Coyote (Player)
- Must pass a piloting test to stand (4 base = 4): rolled 8, succeeds!

Combat Phase
Crab (Player)
- Fires ER Large Laser at Mountain Lion (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 10, hit Right Arm (14/22 armor remaining)!
- Fires ER Large Laser at Mountain Lion (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 9, hit Right Torso (13/25 armor remaining)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Mountain Lion (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 7, hit Center Torso (31/36 armor remaining)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Mountain Lion (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 2, miss!
- Fires ER Small Laser at Mountain Lion (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 8, hit Left Arm (19/22 armor remaining)!
- Gains heat 38, sinks 36!

Battlemaster (Player)
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1522!
- Fires Plasma Rifle at Mountain Lion (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 9, hit Right Leg (0/30 armor, 11/15 structure remaining)! Mountain Lion gains 2 heat! Crit!
- Fires Plasma Rifle at Mountain Lion (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 7, hit Left Arm (9/22 armor remaining)! Mountain Lion gains 1 heat!
- Fires Medium Laser at Mountain Lion (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 6, hit Right Leg (6/15 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Fires Medium Laser at Mountain Lion (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 8, hit Rear Right Torso (0/5 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Mountain Lion (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 7, hit Rear Left Torso (0/5 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Mountain Lion (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 7, hit Left Arm (4/22 armor remaining)!
- Gains heat 37, sinks 34!

Coyote (Player)
- Fires Snub-Nose PPC (uncharged) at Mountain Lion’s Right Leg (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 3 called shot = 9): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires ER Large Laser at Mountain Lion’s Right Leg (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 3 called shot = 9): rolled 9, rolled 3 to confirm hit location, hit Left Torso (17/25 armor remaining)!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at Mountain Lion (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 5, miss!
- Gains 28 heat, sinks 30!

Sentinel (Player)
- Fires Light Autocannon/5 (Armor-Piercing) at Mountain Lion (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 9, hit Left Arm (0/22 armor, 10/11 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Fires Light Autocannon/5 (Armor-Piercing) at Mountain Lion (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Mountain Lion (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 7, hit Left Leg (23/30 armor remaining)!
- Gains 14 heat, sinks 20!

Shadow Hawk (Player)
- Fires Light Autocannon/5 (Armor Piercing) at Mountain Lion (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement = 7): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Mountain Lion (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement = 7): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Mountain Lion (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement = 7): rolled 9, hit Right Torso (8/25 armor remains)!
- Fires iNarc (Nemesis) at Coyotl (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 4 enemy movement + 1 secondary target = 11): rolled 9, miss!
- Gains 18 heat, sinks 20!

Commando
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 20!

Coyotl
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1722!
- Fires Plasma Rifle at Battlemaster (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 9, hit Rear Right Torso (0/8 armor remaining)! Battlemaster gains 3 heat!
- Fires Streak SRM-4 at Sentinel (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 secondary target = 10): rolled 8, fails to lock-on!
- Fires Small Pulse Laser at Sentinel (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 secondary target - 2 pulse laser = 8): rolled 10, hit Right Torso (3/14 armor remaining)!
- Gains 19 heat, sinks 20!

Wolverine
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 28!

Thunderbolt
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 28!

Mountain Lion
- Fires Plasma Rifle at Sentinel (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 8): rolled 10, hit Center Torso (0/12 structure remaining)! Sentinel gains 1 heat! `Mech destroyed!
- Fires Large Variable Speed Pulse Laser at Sentinel (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 6): rolled 9, hit Right Leg (0/20 armor, 4/10 structure remains)! Crit!
- Gains 22 heat, sinks 26!

Woodsman
- Fires ER Large Laser at Coyote (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 7): rolled 8, hit Left Arm (0/3 structure remaining)! Arm blown off!
- - Damage transfers to Left Torso (11/22 armor remaining)!
- Fires LRM-15 (Narc Capable) at Coyote (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 7): rolled 8, 15 missiles hit Right Arm (6/20 armor remains), Left Leg (23/27 armor remains), Right Arm (2/20 armor remains)!
- Fires LRM-15 (Narc Capable) at Coyote (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 7): rolled 8, 15 missiles hit Left Torso (7/22 armor remains), Center Torso (11/33 armor remains), Right Leg (10/28 armor remains)!
- Gains 24 heat, sinks 24!

End Phase:
Mountain Lion
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (4 base + 1 massive damage = 5): rolled 9, succeeds!
- Critical chance in Right Leg! Leg blown off!
- - `Mech disabled by leg destruction.
- Critical chance in Right Leg transfers to Left Torso! No critical hit sustained!
- Critical chance in Left Arm! No critical hit sustained!

Coyote (player)
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (4 base + 1 massive damage = 5): rolled 6, succeeds!

Player Status:

Neutral Forces:

Opposing Force (level)
Cyclops (Mk. 6) – Disabled!
Woodsman Prime (Mk. 6) – Walked +0
Mountain Lion (Mk. 4) – Disabled!
Thunderbolt (Mk. 2) – Ran +1
Kintaro (Mk. 2) – Disabled!
Wolverine (Mk. 7) – Walked +0
Coyotl A (Mk. 6) – Jumped +4
Commando (Mk. 4) – Ran +2

Mission Objective:
Plunder Recovered (0/1500 points)

Secondary Objectives:
Enemy Units Damaged (150/400 points)
Penalty Accrued (-150/-300 points)

Orders Due: Tuesday Night!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 31, 2014

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Is the Mountain Lion out of the fight now?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It had a leg blown off, and it's grayed out on the map.

Yes.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I did a thing!

I can die happy now.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Stay in the woods, kill the Coyotl. The Metal Babby is naught but a distraction.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

goatface posted:

The Metal Babby is naught but a distraction.

Counterpoint: if you can get behind the metal babby with the Battlemaster and don't shoot it, and I will let you German Suplex it in the physical attack phase.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

Counterpoint: if you can get behind the metal babby with the Battlemaster and don't shoot it, and I will let you German Suplex it in the physical attack phase.

Orders in

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

mbison.gif

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Crab

I am in a position to backshot the Commando and kick him at the same time. Might be a better idea for the Battlemaster to focus on the Coyotl?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I don't see the words "German Suplex" in your post, this seems like a sub-optimal strategy.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Q_res posted:

I don't see the words "German Suplex" in your post, this seems like a sub-optimal strategy.

I am seconding this opinion.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Q_res posted:

He's piloting a Crab, not THE CONQUEROR BROCK LESNAR.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Defiance Industries posted:

C'mon guys. Let's go for sixteen.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Make it happen, Battlemaster! Might be even more entertaining to watch than the Po Elbow Drop during the volcano level in the Death Commandos campaign.

Mountain Lion is out now, though it might not have happened if the crit was rolled differently. Focusing on the Right Leg was a good strategy, though if only the Coyote's PPC would've confirmed, rolling the crit would've been irrelevant.

Still, the Sentinel is definitely down now, and the NRWR techs responsible for that mech are going to be seriously pissed. Still, it drew fire from the Mountain Lion as if daring the OpFor to take it out, sparing the rest of you guys from its fire, so I guess that helped, somewhat.

Coyote lost its PPC arm, and the one of Battlemaster's Torsos is looking pretty open... Figure you guys should continue to consolidate and concentrate fire on killing the Coyotl (minus the Battlemaster German Suplexing the metal babby, of course). It might be protected heavily by woods, but you might be able to get some good shots in somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Defiance Industries posted:

Wait, can they coordinate physical attacks so that the Battlemaster German Suplexes the Commando and then the Crab gives him a Shawn Michaels Superkick?

Please say yes

• Locked thread