Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think the thrust of this campaign (meaning, the whole thread) is towards ever higher tech levels, more complex scenarios, and PTN is getting a lot of practice at running the OpFor as well. Playing in a group with the same players, that would be fantastic (and the audience of the thread functions as such for the fluff half of the game).

The problem is, each scenario's players are still mostly composed of people completely new to playing battletech. Ask yourself: would you ever set up this scenario and hand these mechs to five people you've just met who have never played this game before? Of course not.

This is PTN's challenge: make scenarios that are refreshing and new and interesting to the thread audience, but not too difficult for beginners. Personally I think he's winning big on the first half and losing big on the second. This scenario was murderously difficult: I've played a fair bit of battletech before and I think if I had control of the entire players' side, I give myself maybe a 25% chance of winning it. I certainly would not have approached the fight the way PTN has described as one likely success strategy. Actually having never used C3, I doubt I'd have figured out how to use it to my advantage anyway. The previous couple of scenarios have also been very difficult.

PTN, I think you're doing a great job with this thread and I've always enjoyed it, but I think you need to scale back difficulty significantly as long as you have newbie players in different time zones who have to communicate and coordinate and have never even calculated a move mod before, if you want to give them any chance at winning. You also need to not rely on the voters to select appropriate scenario difficulty, partially because it's too hard to judge, but mostly because we can't anticipate how green the actual mech pilots are going to be and we also can't really judge what you personally consider hard vs. easy. Probably the most straightforward way to reduce difficulty without changing tech level or scenario design is just to give yourself more of a handicap in terms of the mechs you have. An even battle value is always going to be way too hard vs. totally green players who will never coordinate as well with each other as you hope; I'd say even a 2:1 BV in their favor is likely to give them a tough match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yea, but, even if you're totally new, there's a legion of seasoned grognards here ready to offer advice and explanation at the drop of a hat (Often whether you want it or not!).

Balancing the missions themselves around players that are {bad, don't submit orders, don't follow advice from their team/the thread, don't communicate at all/whatever} is really just doing a disservice to the ones that are being engaged and actively trying to do their best.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Although I agree with pretty much everything in your post, I'd like to add that sometimes it can be nice (especially from a storytelling perspective) to have a challenging scenario. To facilitate that, PoptartsNinja could always fall back on a core group of experienced players who are known to have frequented the thread for a long time. This way, you could still have all the newbie-friendly scenarios you wanted, but the story wouldn't have to be locked into them, which could look silly if we should get to another Luthien-equivalent.

To the inevitable cries of 'This will delay people's turns even more - Some of them have been waiting for years!' I can only say: Acknowledged, but as this thread keeps growing, its story isn't only about the players anymore. By now, a lot of us in the audience are following this primarily for the 'fluff', not the mechanics. Judging from past encounters, this sentiment isn't going to win me any friends around here, but there you go.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I think the happy middle ground would be to design scenarios in a way so that PTN can gauge the players' skill level over the first few turns and tailor the remainder of the scenario accordingly. If it looks like everyone is working together well, then have a predetermined contingency for reinforcements that triggers, which PTN can either use or not at his discretion.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Shoeless posted:

I couldn't remember if it was 331st or 313th so I just went with 'Regiment' because I figured that was what followed the number. I am undone! :eng99:

Sorry, I'm not trying to be a jerk. They've got a General and multiple Colonels, they're actually patterned on a Star League Division.

Leperflesh posted:

Probably the most straightforward way to reduce difficulty without changing tech level or scenario design is just to give yourself more of a handicap in terms of the mechs you have. An even battle value is always going to be way too hard vs. totally green players who will never coordinate as well with each other as you hope; I'd say even a 2:1 BV in their favor is likely to give them a tough match.

That's the problem.

I have no way of adequately judging whether a player has any BattleTech experience until after the scenario is written and the forces are laid out; and I pretty consistently can't put up an entertaining or challenging fight unless I have a slight BV advantage (usually I keep that as some form of reserve force, so I can quietly pretend it doesn't exist if things don't go well for the players--I almost always need it).

I didn't have that option in this scenario since everything I had was on the board. I did try to stagger the assault but in all honesty I probably should've disengaged when it started going badly to let them reassemble and give them time to plan. Or gone with my gut and quietly removed the Woodsman from play the moment the Crusader went down.

In hindsight, I should've kept one of my lances off the board and introduced them slowly as other targets were eliminated to give the players a numerical advantage. There's just such a fine line between a challenging fight and a complete stomp.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 27, 2014

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Let me say that the two fast jumpers that I got during my campaign were both REALLY fun AND easy on my newbie skills.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Maybe you can assemble the next scenario's players and query their experience before you decide on your exact forces?

Triggering reinforcements is helpful, but it also means there's an unexpected surprise the players have to deal with, and that is its own challenge. The alternative is that the thread becomes aware there will always be reinforcements if you "do too well" at the beginning of a scenario, and that's kind of a letdown too.

I don't think there's an easy way to deal with this, I just figured now was the time for feedback. As I said, I think you have a very difficult challenge making these scenarios work in this format, so I don't blame you if it doesn't work right now and then.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

PoptartsNinja posted:

In hindsight, I should've kept one of my lances off the board and introduced them slowly as other targets were eliminated to give the players a numerical advantage. There's just such a fine line between a challenging fight and a complete stomp.

I think this is a very good idea. Keep some forces in reserve, and if things are turning out too much in favour of the players, deploy them to make things interesting.

Alternatively, why not try the following:

1. Tactical vote
2. Call up players and ask that we declare our experience with Battletech (none, some, regular, veteran)
3. Alter scenario to fit?

Shoeless posted:

Can you elaborate on that? I don't understand why you think you'd be ineffective if you hung back a bit. With C3, you wouldn't suffer any range penalties, assuming there was a another player within 4 hexes of your target, which is the Short range of ER Medium Lasers for the Inner Sphere. At 12 hexes, you would have been at medium range for even the enemy's longest ranged weapons, while yourself counting as being at short. The only thing being adjacent would do is let you kick, as far as I can see.

There are two points here.

1. No one was really willing go to up close to provide said close-in C3i coverage. I would be trading fire at medium range.
2. It isn't really fair to expect one of the other lights/mediums to go in alone to provide (1) - look what happened to the Sentinel and Shadow Hawk the moment they entered close range with the enemy lance. Both died in one round flat. I decided to lead the charge to at least provide safety in numbers. There would be less incentive to focus all fire on one single squishy.
3. The best mech to do (1), the Coyote, had its pilot suffer multiple epileptic seizures over the course of the scenario. He had the speed to provide us with good range rolls, and he had the armor to tank the hits.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Actually any scenario where one player needs to sacrifice himself for the others (literally, or just put himself into big danger) OR needs to hold fire for multiple rounds, is just never going to work out. I can say from my own experience that waiting two or three years for your one shot at this, and then knowing you might get taken out in four rounds without ever doing anything fun, makes for a lot of pressure. You also don't want to gently caress up in front of the whole audience, and finally you don't really want to just do what everyone/the one guy who is giving specific advice says to do, because then why are you playing at all? Might as well just let the audience consensus drive the mech.

The end result is you tend to not want to ask for advice, you tend to go for whatever move will get you good to-hits this turn, and you tend to not want to be the sacrificial lamb in any situation.

Scenario design just has to take that into account, because while that's not how every single player will feel, I expect it'd the majority and you have no way of knowing in advance if you'll get the exception to the rule piloting that one mech whose job is to go get shot or go be a decoy.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Z the IVth posted:

Alternatively, why not try the following:

1. Tactical vote
2. Call up players and ask that we declare our experience with Battletech (none, some, regular, veteran)
3. Alter scenario to fit?
I'd suggest that, if fully altering the scenario based on experience is too much work, then assigning mechs based on BattleTech experience could be a good idea. For instance, my Coyote should have been given to a more experienced player who would have been more willing to use it more aggressively. I would have done better in a more disposable light or medium mech, perhaps with jump jets.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

The end result is you tend to not want to ask for advice, you tend to go for whatever move will get you good to-hits this turn, and you tend to not want to be the sacrificial lamb in any situation.

Long story short goons are clanners.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Leperflesh posted:

Maybe you can assemble the next scenario's players and query their experience before you decide on your exact forces?
Exactly.

I also support the idea of now and then doing elite scenarios with the resident experts as pilots. Pilot queue or no queue - fuckups are entertaining, but not when they happen all the time.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Nektu posted:

I also support the idea of now and then doing elite scenarios with the resident experts as pilots. Pilot queue or no queue - fuckups are entertaining, but not when they happen all the time.
Of course you'd save that for a scenario when everyone's piloting 1/1s or 0/1s, several plot-relevant characters are on the field, and the political outcome is really important.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

JT Jag posted:

Of course you'd save that for a scenario when everyone's piloting 1/1s or 0/1s, several plot-relevant characters are on the field, and the political outcome is really important.

Exactly. Like Luthien.

Just to reiterate: These scenarios, the way I have in mind, would be rare, because they pretty much have to occur naturally through the ongoing story that we are all shaping. Newbies would still get almost all of the action in the thread, so don't worry!

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

JT Jag posted:

Only to see them murdered by the dice of course :)

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Actually any scenario where one player needs to sacrifice himself for the others (literally, or just put himself into big danger) OR needs to hold fire for multiple rounds, is just never going to work out. I can say from my own experience that waiting two or three years for your one shot at this, and then knowing you might get taken out in four rounds without ever doing anything fun, makes for a lot of pressure. You also don't want to gently caress up in front of the whole audience, and finally you don't really want to just do what everyone/the one guy who is giving specific advice says to do, because then why are you playing at all? Might as well just let the audience consensus drive the mech.

Hence why I decided to commit to charging in myself, and hope someone else would follow. Hats off to Paingod and Celestine, you kept following the nutty Crab into the blender.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

PoptartsNinja posted:

The original plan called for her to have a TSEMP. :v:

"Triple-strength... something... myomer... something? Better check Sarna!"

:stare:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Weaponized "No, You Shut Up!"

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yeah, I know what you mean.

All of the objectives were Team Deathmatch + [additional objective], with destroy objectives typically being easier and capture generally being harder. If I didn't explain that well enough, then it is my fault. The easiest version was likely the 'capture enemy commander' option, since with careful positioning you could've neutralized the Cyclops all match long without ever firing a shot at it.

I think this is where a lot of the trouble came from. The impression I got from the scenario introduction was that capturing the loot was the primary objective and the mission was intended to be completed without getting into a pitched battle, and it seems like that was how it was generally interpreted by the players as well. By the time the players collectively switched gears to 'brawl' they were already in pretty deep. Another takeaway from this is that equipment that requires close coordination between players is probably going to massively underperform compared to its potential and may even end up being a liability if it contributes to information overload for inexperienced players.

That said, not every scenario needs to be easy and the players don't need to win every time. Some of the most memorable and satisfying fights in the campaign came from defeats.

Have you considered taking a different approach to missing orders? Your reasons for leniency are sound, but having mechs miss turns can be maddening for spectators and I can only imagine what it's like for the players who have waited two years to have their team crippled by an AFK pilt. Maybe something like delaying the update (even if this means pushing it back until the next time you would have updated) for the first missed order and then just replacing the player entirely the second time?

EDIT: Things seem to be on a negative note so let me just say that this was a really cool scenario, the fluff was great, and this LP thread is probably my favorite thing about the forums.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

Leperflesh posted:

Maybe it's because I write a lot of Call of Cthulhu scenarios, where personal sacrifice is the name of the game, but when my turn came around I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to figure out how to die gloriously for the team.

My suggested holding action orders were superseded by sane orders from more experienced vets, but I would have taken a strategically valuable death easily and happily.

No matter what, the newer people like myself need to be willing to ask for advice and options, because this game is rather complicated and just running with a plan without communication or coordination is always going to fail.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

SageNytell posted:

Maybe it's because I write a lot of Call of Cthulhu scenarios, where personal sacrifice is the name of the game, but when my turn came around I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to figure out how to die gloriously for the team.

My suggested holding action orders were superseded by sane orders from more experienced vets, but I would have taken a strategically valuable death easily and happily.

No matter what, the newer people like myself need to be willing to ask for advice and options, because this game is rather complicated and just running with a plan without communication or coordination is always going to fail.

I agree with your take on glorious personal sacrifice.

With regards to coordination and communication, even with all the help coming from the vets in this thread, it can be confusing, and when the scenarios are balanced so finely, it only takes on guy innocently reading a different lot of advice from the others to make everything go haywire. And I think this is another issue - the player forces in each scenario don't have very much redundancy and they are balanced on the assumption that the entire player force is coordinating at a very high level/played by a single person. Speaking as a player, I don't think I would want to constantly make my moves according to the recommendations by the thread vets, even if it's the optimal move. I would be willing to do it if the decision is a no-brainer or everything is hanging in the balance, but I like having some agency, even if it is sometimes suboptimal.

If we look at the previous scenarios, I get the impression that the players tend to do better when their forces have redundancy or overwhelming superiority (i.e the Death Commando missions, Luthien), but when faced with complicated objectives or closely balanced scenarios, things fall apart (the last match, this one)

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Sorry, I'm not trying to be a jerk. They've got a General and multiple Colonels, they're actually patterned on a Star League Division.

Oh, you didn't come off that way at all! I meant it in a joking tone, I didn't think you were being hostile at all. Now, time to check Sarna to see how big a SL Division is. I know the WoB used them and they were basically just double regiments, and C3i seems to indicate that the 331st may use that, but I want to make sure.

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's the problem.

I have no way of adequately judging whether a player has any BattleTech experience until after the scenario is written and the forces are laid out; and I pretty consistently can't put up an entertaining or challenging fight unless I have a slight BV advantage (usually I keep that as some form of reserve force, so I can quietly pretend it doesn't exist if things don't go well for the players--I almost always need it).

I didn't have that option in this scenario since everything I had was on the board. I did try to stagger the assault but in all honesty I probably should've disengaged when it started going badly to let them reassemble and give them time to plan. Or gone with my gut and quietly removed the Woodsman from play the moment the Crusader went down.

One thing I thought of, reading your thoughts on this mission, was that if you do another snatch and grab you might try having there be a small contingent of units that draw the enemy forces away from the base/camp/whatever. After a few turns, they disengage and the enemy begins to return. The players thus have a number of 'grace' turns to get in and start grabbing things before resistance starts to trickle back in. Possibly have the player mechs all have ECM and as long as it's active and the enemy can't get positive visual contact the alarm doesn't get raised or something, but that would probably add too much complication.

Z the IVth posted:

There are two points here.

1. No one was really willing go to up close to provide said close-in C3i coverage. I would be trading fire at medium range.
2. It isn't really fair to expect one of the other lights/mediums to go in alone to provide (1) - look what happened to the Sentinel and Shadow Hawk the moment they entered close range with the enemy lance. Both died in one round flat. I decided to lead the charge to at least provide safety in numbers. There would be less incentive to focus all fire on one single squishy.
3. The best mech to do (1), the Coyote, had its pilot suffer multiple epileptic seizures over the course of the scenario. He had the speed to provide us with good range rolls, and he had the armor to tank the hits.

Ahhh, you make good points. And with what Leperflesh has been saying about no one wants to be a sacrificial lamb or sacrifice good to-hits to jump into heavy woods with other woods around, I agree that it wouldn't really be fair to ask a player to be designated spotter.

Shoeless fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 28, 2014

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

JT Jag posted:

I'm not sanguine about that situation.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
The other issue here is that the combat theater vote drives the complexity of the individual scenario and, in particular, the tech level and degree of challenge to playing the mechs involved. If the thread picked more of the side-theater, lower-tech, mech-Deliverance scenarios they'd be inherently more newbie friendly.

Definitely think it's worth checking experience level of the players before assigning mechs, and maybe even appointing a more experienced player as commander if the mission warrants. I'd be against too much difficulty-tweaking beyond that point: superior PTN force coordination makes up for the otherwise crippling disadvantage of losing init, and there's enough active vets in the thread to provide advice to newer players.

An especially fiddly mission (complex mechs, an especially challenging objective, force pool or map) might call for allowing newer players to postpone their "at-bat," but that would rely upon following such a mission with something much simpler. I guess PTN could configure the vote to only offer such options in these cases, and it might make for a nice break for him and the thread to go from something really complex and messy to something more straightforward. That's been done in the thread's past, certainly.

How would people feel about PTN sometimes offering a more restrictive theater vote? Fewer options for a simple fight would allow for newbie friendly scenarios and PTN could hold others for the following vote.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

While I do think mission difficulty is something that probably needs to be addressed, I'm hesitant to support anything that requires more work for PTN considering the huge amount of work that goes into this whole business already.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Shoeless posted:

They're not trainees though. As PTN said directly at least once, and as was pointed out in the fluff for the mission, all the pilots here are already veteran NRWR mechwarriors. This is not training, this is a trial/test to see if they make it into the super elite Regiment. The pilots were all 3/4s remember, that's veteran skills. A 4/5 is your average trained mechwarrior/vehicle crew/whatever with some combat experience under their belts. 5/6 is green/not fully trained. This wasn't basic training, this was a final test for some established, veteran soldiers to see if they get into space!Delta Force/Green Berets/whatever.

Granted, but they're still trainees as far as the super elite guys are concerned. That is to say, you can be a badass soldier all you want, but when you sign up for the special forces training they'll still treat you like you don't know anything - because from the POV of said special forces, you don't. At least, such has been my impression.

As for adjustment of mission difficulty, it looks pretty okay to me as it is - the players have lost the last few missions, sure, but they've largely come down to 'can the players coordinate as a team.' PTN's forces coordinate with perfect information about what each unit's role and each unit's plan is; that's because they're all being controlled by one person. If the players are ever going to survive they have to talk to each other, plan with each other, and act as a unit. When they do, they have a good shot at winning; when they don't, they don't.

I'm also leery of asking PTN to judge who 'the experts' are, especially ones he hasn't seen play yet. I mean, I'm in the queue, and I know a bit about Battletech; I have tabletop experience; I remember the uproar when the Clans were first introduced and no one had invented BV yet so the closest thing we had to gauge 'a fair match' was tonnage, so clearly 150 tons of IS 'Mechs versus 120 tons of Clan 'Mechs would be fair, right? m(Spoiler: it never was) Does this make me an old-school grognard? Kinda, sure. On the other hand, I haven't actually played BattleTech since... I think the last time I played an actual match was 1998. So I'd have to think that would shift expectations about my skill level - and PTN would have no way of knowing it except for the part where I'm saying it.

The guy puts in a ton of work already; let's not start asking him to divine the future, too.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

PoptartsNinja posted:

Probably not a full one then. A full Star League Battlemech Division is six battlemech regiments + three mech. infantry regiments + three armor regiments + one ASF regiment. Given how the Rim Worlds Republic has problems recruiting mechwarriors, a full SL Division could easily be a full third of their strength.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

Defiance Industries posted:

I'm not sanguine about that situation.

:commissar:

We'll be having none of that. Write some more Mech commercials already!

For what it's worth, I had a ton of fun in my scenarios, though I had no clue what was going on. We struggled a fair bit but we managed two scenario victories on a mixed team of rookies and experts, and they were fairly tough.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Political Vote 16

“This is outrageous,” Khan Asa Taney’s visage flickered as the holotank updated. “The Smoke Jaguars have destroyed one of our colonies on Huntress! Every laborer, technician, merchant, and scientist have vanished; and the Smoke Jaguars deny our call for Refusal! Will the Council stand for this?”

“We will not stand for it at all,” Khan Adrian Devalis of Clan Nova Cat replied wryly. “We will sit for it. The victories of Clan Smoke Jaguar are hardly call to convene a Grand Council. This is not our concern.”

“They deny our right to a trial of refusal!”

“We do no such thing,” Khan Leo Showers stood slowly, his dark features curled wrathfully. His thick hair was braided in alternating rows patterned to make his hair looked like bundled myomer. His thin beard was sharp and pointed, his posture menacing, and his dark brown eyes looked almost maroon as they glittered with rage.

“Clan Smoke Jaguar does not accept refusals from Solamha trash and freebirths. If you wish to challenge our victory, come do so. With real troops.”

Taney slammed his holographic fists on the stone desktop. “Unbelievable!”

“What’s unbelievable,” Khan of the Coyotes Robin Steele interjected, “is your belief that you can act as you wish with impunity. Or did you really believe your illegal sortie into the Inner Sphere would come without a price?”

“This is not an inquest into my Clan’s lawful assault on—”

“Perhaps it should be, Quiaff?” Leo Showers interrupted. His biceps bulged imperceptibly as the Smoke Jaguar spoke, as though he longed to wring the life from Asa Taney with his bare hands. “If your endeavor is truly “lawful” why have you avoided our council summons until now, when it suits you to complain about a fait accompli?”

The still image of Natasha Kerensky, a still image before now, sprang to life with a suddenness that gave even Leo Showers pause. He had grown increasingly convinced that the Khan of Khans had simply been broadcasting a still image for the past few months; her interaction with the council had grown slight in the face of continued pressure from the Goliath Scorpions.

“It strikes me,” Kerensky’s voice was cruel, “that Khan Taney believes himself to be ilKhan Taney, quineg?”

“You did not speak out against our arrival in the Inner Sphere,” Taney countered. “We took that to be consent enough.”

Natasha inclined her head, “I had wished time to seek proof that your cancerous rebellion had not infected the whole of your Clan, but it is far worse than I feared. My friends—my fellow Khans—Khan Asa Taney and all of Clan Ice Hellion are clearly traitors, their presence poisons the will of true warriors to fight and in their arrogance they seek to lead us all to ruin. Such rampant insubordination cannot—must not—go unpunished.”

“I call for a vote,” Leo Showers roared, venting his pent-up frustrations in an instant. The anger hadn’t fled his posture completely, but what little remained was completely masked by the fearsome glee which twisted his features into an almost manic smile. “I call for a vote: for the Abjuration of Clan Ice Hellion!”

An explosion shattered the peaceful calm of Benjamin’s early morning, washing out even the light of the massive orbiting solar reflectors that utilized the world’s distant, dim sun to warm the planet to habitable temperatures. A fiery cloud mushroomed and ascended into the heavens like a dog escaping a tight kennel. A dozen blocks away onlookers staggered in a daze over sheets of broken glass, blood dripping from their punctured eardrums. The unlucky ones were closer, the shockwaves had burst internal organs and left them moaning and half-conscious for the few minutes before they died.

The luckiest of all were those near ground zero, they’d died instantly as the compression waves simply liquefied them.

The Ten Dawns Hotel crumbled, its front façade peeled away like the rind of a naranji. Chips of stone the size of a man’s head tumbled in relative silence and shattered as they struck the street below. If they’d survived to see it, the bomb would have been far beyond the conspirator’s expectations: the heat and flame had detonated a nearby grain elevator in an instant, turning one-ton car bomb into a fireball rarely matched by conventional arms.

The command staff of the Robinson Draconis March Militia probably would’ve survived the initial bombing, but nothing was unscathed by the second. Major General Cunningham’s Crusader lay like a broken child’s toy, its arms and legs bent at impossible angles and its chest buried to the hips in rubble from the Hotel’s lobby. Its durable fusion engine still purred faintly as armor plating absorbed the worst of the damage, but it would be months before the machine would be fit to walk again.

Half-way across the planet, a man in a dark suit and glasses tipped back a shot. Benjamin Inagawa was sharply-dressed for a businessman, but the locals knew at a glance he was not to be trifled with. His carefully-cultivated image was a mask behind which he hid his irizumi, but his name alone was proof of his ties to the Inagawa-kai. Benjamin would be the next Oyabun, upon the demise of the Yakuza gang’s current leader.

Without a word he pulled a handkerchief emblazoned with a rising sun and mopped his sweating forehead. The Federated Suns’s crackdown on the Yakuza was maddening; as though Hanse Davion was too blind to see that all the Yakuza wanted was prosperity. As Benjamin Inagawa shoved his handkerchief back in his pocket, he fished out a solid gold pocketwatch and checked the time. With a nod, he turned and departed, leaving his bodyguard to “pay” for the drink. It was five minutes past detonation time.

Surely, his return to the mansion would be greeted with news of his plan’s success.

Grand Council Vote
1) Abjure Clan Ice Hellion
2) Do not Abjure Clan Ice Hellion
3) Support Clan Ice Hellion’s right to invade the Inner Sphere

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Sep 28, 2014

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
A: clanners killing other clanners = best option.

Arguably, the more they stay out of the IS, the more interesting IS votes are, so this is a double-win from my perspective.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Grand Council Vote
1) Abjure Clan Ice Hellion
2) Do not Abjure Clan Ice Hellion

Some quick research indicates that a 4/5 majority is required here. So, I'll go with 2, Do not Abjure Ice Hellion. A rotten leadership doesn't mean that the entirely of the Clan must be punished.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
A I like Clan infighting.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Ah, what the hell. Option A - Abjure Clan Ice Hellion.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
A - Abjure Clan Ice Hellion.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Federated Commonwealth’s crackdown on the Yakuza was maddening

Wait, what? I'm a little confused now.

Clan-on-Clan violence is always a scenario I love, so A.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

A is too small in scope, only affecting Ice Hellion. If C passes other clans might attempt to invade, probably leading the first wave clans to fight them in order to prevent them from gaining territory with fresh troops. In other words a huge clusterfuck.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't really get it. What determines whether a clan has the "right" to participate in the invasion?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

I don't really get it. What determines whether a clan has the "right" to participate in the invasion?

The same thing as literally everything else in Clan Society. Fighting over it.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The clans are the worst, and should conduct themselves in the manner of the worst - A, murder a bunch of innocent serfs, indentured craftsmen and captive scientists due to the bruised egos of gene-enhanced jocks in Space Highschool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Zikan posted:

A is too small in scope, only affecting Ice Hellion. If C passes other clans might attempt to invade, probably leading the first wave clans to fight them in order to prevent them from gaining territory with fresh troops. In other words a huge clusterfuck.

I like this reasoning, because I like huge clusterfucks.

Option 3

• Locked thread