Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Night10194 posted:

That's what I meant by 'a couple superficial similarities'. The Clanners are a general invading force that shakes things up from outside, and they specifically take some of the terminology from the Mongols, but it's not like the Mongols are the only force to ever pull that kind of thing.

Their leaders are called 'Khan'.

Everyone in battletech is a poor, fairly racist riff off some culture. The Clans are pretty clearly future-Mongols. The fact that they are a terrible 80's representation of future-Mongols doesn't change that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Stackpole just had a thing for "warrior culture," just look at what he did with the Twi'leks in Star Wars.

"The Twi'leks are fierce negotiators which is why they're so poor they're selling their people into slavery, their planet produces a unique substance that makes medicines better which is why they're so poor they're selling their people into slavery, but but but their men are also BRAVE AND HONORABLE WARRIORS kept down by THE EMPIRE and once they find their honor again they'll [end goal not found]"

Past the slavery and unique substance that does sounds like Karen Traviss describing Mandalorians. :v:

Nephila
Aug 19, 2005

Crawling up your leg as you read this.
Option C because it will lead to the most fun, even liking the clans it can only lead to more clan on clan fighting that turns out rather fun and balanced.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Cooked Auto posted:

Past the slavery and unique substance that does sounds like Karen Traviss describing Mandalorians. :v:

Then again she realized that there was no End Goal after "Find Honor again" and made that a pretty big failing of the characters that advocated it.

But them Clans, are we still in the "we must stick to our culture" phase of the Clans in the PTN universe are we in the "let's just try this Inner Sphere way for a while" phase?

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
3!

That, as many have pointed out is definitely the comedy option.

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

DatonKallandor posted:

Then again she realized that there was no End Goal after "Find Honor again" and made that a pretty big failing of the characters that advocated it.

But them Clans, are we still in the "we must stick to our culture" phase of the Clans in the PTN universe are we in the "let's just try this Inner Sphere way for a while" phase?

The Clans are still solidly in the "Our culture is superior to those Inner Sphere losers" phase. It wasn't until the Battle of Tukayyid that they started to second guess things in the original timeline, and I imagine there would have to be a similar event in this one for them to start questioning things.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
The voting is very close, but I'll be closing it soon.

Congratulations on winning MVP, Saint Celestine!

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
I had no idea what I was doing the entire game.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Saint Celestine posted:

I had no idea what I was doing the entire game.

battletech.txt

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Community Warfare Week 3

I’ve decided to move the Community Warfare update day to Wednesday Nights or Early Thursdays! I usually have less going on Thursdays, and it gives everyone the whole weekend to play the current battlegrounds!

MegaMek’s got a new version out as well, seems like a good time to try it out!

Last Week's Victors:
- The Taurian Concordat wins on Atreus Prime with 2 VP!
- Clan Widowmaker crushes the Waco Rangers on Pandora with 2 VP!

Last Week's Losers:
- The Duchy of New Syrtis score 1 VP thanks to chutche2!
- The Waco Rangers score 1 VP thanks to BaconInAWok!

How do I play?
Play for real, or play online with MegaMek! If you don't know anyone to play with, I suggest hitting up your fellow goons in the IRC channel at irc.synirc.net channel: #megamek which you can access for free through numerous sites such as mibbit.com

Community Warfare Week 2: Battleground Information (battle submissions valid until 10/9)
Battleground: Butte Hold
Defender: Clan Widowmaker, Iota Galaxy "The Final Hunt," 8th Solamha Infantry (Solamha infantry, a few elementals or tanks, and maybe a light `Mech or two)
Attacker: The Pirates of Butte Hold (Mechanized infantry & light vehicles)
Map Themes: Desert Mesas & scrub forests (rocky outcroppings and woods, maybe a few buildings to represent a Widowmaker facility)
Metaplot: The Pirates of Butte Hold have been a thorn in Clan Widowmaker’s side, attacking from secret bases hidden in caves all over the planet, the Pirates have launched repeated hit and run raids against Widowmaker facilities; stealing food, water, and supplies! Clan Widowmaker’s second line forces have neither the manpower nor the will to hunt them down and exterminate them.

Battleground: Carver V
Defender: The Capellan Confederation, Rebel Forces
Attacker: The Capellan Confederation, 9th Capellan Militia
Map Themes: Grab Bag (play on any combination of maps you want!)
Metaplot: The poorly trained Capellan Militia has been raised to do battle with Rebel forces who have risen against Carver V’s planetary governor. The Rebels claim to be loyal Capellan citizens but the Chancellor’s orders are absolute and the Confederation is at war. Will the poorly trained and equipped Capellan Militia be able to deal with the equally poorly-trained and equipped Rebellion before Romano Liao takes notice?

Battleground: Australia
Defender: Lyran Commonwealth, Ramilie’s Raiders
Attacker: Mysterious Pirates from Pain & The Rack
Map Themes: Forest Scrub (a smattering of trees and height 1 hills)
Metaplot: A new and surprisingly well-equipped group of pirates has launched an attack on the Lyran world of Australia. Not responding to any attempts to communicate, their goal appears to be the destruction and/or capture of the BattleMechs piloted by the Mercenary Comapny hired to defend the world, Ramilie’s Raiders.

Community Warfare Week 3 Submission Form

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

"We will take what is ours by right: that shining jewel ~ Butte Hold!~" - Natasha Kerenskey, 3034

Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

Upon the frozen fields of arctic Strana Mechty, the Ghost Dads lie in wait, preparing to ambush their prey with their zippin' and zoppin' and ziggy-zoop-boppin'.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Attacker: The Pirates of Butte Hold

:quagmire:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Combat Theater Vote 16:
4 July 3034

“Our presence in the Inner Sphere is no more unlawful than the allies you have already called!” Asa Taney’s big, rounded face flushed with fury. “We were granted Tarnby by Clan Hell’s Horses! My Clan has done no wrong! Or are you also calling for the Abjuration of the Jade Falcons, Sea Foxes, Snow Ravens, Star Adders, Cloud Cobras, and Burrocks, quineg?”

“The Jade Falcons are a reserve Clan; when the Hell’s Horses announced their inability to continue the duty fell to the Falcons. Those other Homeworld allies have yet to attack any worlds in the Inner Sphere,” Natasha Kerensky’s hologram didn’t flicker, but her eye twitched involuntarily. “Barring the disappearance of the Snow Ravens and Sea Foxes and Clan Burrock’s recent and increasingly suspect activities, we have found no direct evidence of wrongdoing. You are the only Clan not content to stay in your place and we do not now nor have we ever chosen to tolerate malcontents.”

“We have not impugned on your precious invasion corridors,” Taney spat. “We merely felt it our duty to seize a few surrounding periphery worlds, to better guard our allies the Hell’s Horses—”

“You know nothing of duty, Khan Asa Taney,” Natasha Kerensky countered darkly. “I am surprised you even know how to properly pronounce the word. You were motivated purely by greed and your actions reflect poorly on your Clan. The Khan of the Smoke Jaguars has called for your Abjuration. This requires a four-fifths majority: twelve of the fifteen Clans—”

Khan Tyrell Bekker inclined his head, “What of the Sea Foxes and Snow Ravens?”

“—the fifteen Clans present for this council. As the Sea Foxes and Snow Ravens are incommunicado and as their Homeworld representatives have yet to elect replacement Khans, they must be excluded from this vote. This is a serious charge, and there can be no confusion in this matter. Khans of the Grand Council, I ask for your votes.”

Still standing, Asa Taney shouted, “Clan Ice Hellion votes against Abjuration!”

Khan Talis Marghar stood, offering a fierce glare at the holographic image of his Clan’s most hated rival. “Clan Burrock votes to Abjure the Ice Hellions, and will gladly participate in their Annihilation should they attempt to remain in Clan space.”

“Clan Smoke Jaguar,” Leo Showers’ eyes twinkled slyly as he stared for a few moments at Taney, letting the AeroSpace Pilot sweat. “Affirms the rights of all the Home Clans, the Ice Hellions included, to participate in the Invasion!”

“Well, now that the Smoke Jaguars have proven they are indeed still idiots,” Adrian Devalis said next, “Clan Nova Cat votes for Abjuration.”

“Coyote votes for Abjuration.”

“Fire Mandrill votes for Abjuration.”

“Cloud Cobra votes for Abjuration.”

“Blood Spirit votes against Abjuration.”

“Jade Falcon votes for Abjuration.”

“Star Adder votes for Abjuration.”

“Clan Steel Viper votes for Abjuration.”

“The Ghost Bears vote for Abjuration.”

“Khan Taney,” The holographic form of Khan Grier Siedman rose to his feet. He was the oldest Khan on the council by nearly twenty years, and even his holographic form looked craggy and unwelcoming. “Clan Hell’s Horses did indeed grant you a world from our Inner Sphere holdings, as thanks for your continued support after your failures in the trials; and to show that we were interested in maintaining close ties with your Clan. You should have known better than to launch a campaign of your own but Clan Hell’s Horses must bear some of the responsibility. Should the vote turn against you here, we stand ready to transport as many of your lower castes to your new Inner Sphere holdings as our logistics capacity will allow. We also stand ready to accept any Ice Hellion unit willing to disavow your brash actions and join the Hell’s Horses Touman.”

“Finally, while Clan Hell’s Horses does feel that the Ice Hellions are guilty, we would prefer to vote for Absorption rather than Abjuration. We will accept the ilKhan's judgement, but their forces may yet be salvaged. We ask to make them our own, bolster our weakened Touman, and use the opportunity to resume our invasion should the forces of Clan Jade Falcon falter.”

“Well spoken,” Khan Nicolai Djerassi of the Goliath Scorpions offered, though his eyes were locked on Natasha Kerensky. There had been three votes against the Abjuration of the Ice Hellions, and the Widowmakers were certain to vote to make an example of Asa Taney’s blunder. That the deciding vote had well-and-truly fallen to the Goliath Scorpions was no accident. The threat to Kerensky and the Widowmakers was implicit. Even if he chose to support the ilKhan’s claim, she would owe the results not to her own political acumen but to Djerassi’s own capricious whims.

“The Goliath Scorpions vote for the Abjuration of Clan Ice Hellion.”

Natasha Kerensky returned Djerassi’s stare with an intractable one of her own. If she felt any confusion, gratitude, or even anger she didn’t show it. Even he had to admit that she played the game well. Djerassi offered her a sardonic, self-satisfied smile.

“Clan Widowmaker votes to Abjure the Ice Hellions.” Natasha turned away, her gaze settling on Asa Taney. “Clan Ice Hellion has three months to remove itself from Clan space. Any Ice Hellion personnel that remain will be subject to Annihilation.”

Taney’s hologram turned to glare at each Khan in turn. “I call for a trial of Refusal! I will not stand for this.”

“Granted,” Khan Kerensky held her arms open. “The odds are 4:1 against you.”

“As Clan Smoke Jaguar called for this vote,” Leo Showers shouted, “we demand to be the ones to face the Ice Hellions in combat!”

Kerensky waved a hand dismissively, “Of course, the Council could not deny such a request.”

Taney glowered. “It will take me six months to return to the Homeworlds!”

Natasha’s smile was cruel. “That is neither the Council’s problem, nor mine.”

A cold wind whipped Arc Keller’s long, black hair into a fury as he stared silently into the Strana Mechty night. His dark eyes were clear and focused on the vague purple shapes that formed the divide between land and sky. The Veil of the Protector, that distant nebula which still hid the Clan Homeworlds from the Inner Sphere, filled the skies overhead with a reddish, bloody haze. It looked so small from Strana Mechty, and yet behind it all the worlds of the Inner Sphere glittered unseen.

“You look troubled, my Khan.”

Arc Keller tipped his head. “I see Kerensky’s vision fading in our time. I fear the time for peaceful mediation has passed.”

His saKhan, Karianna Schmitt, stepped forward; her face half shrouded in darkness. The other half was lit with the cheerful fires of the Grand Council hall. The others had gone already, only the Blood Spirit Khan had chosen to linger. He didn’t much care if the other Khans thought him sentimental, nor even if they believed him mad.

“You fear for the Ice Hellions?” Karianna asked, quietly.

“Neg,” he didn’t sigh, though he felt like doing so. “I fear for us all. The Ice Hellions will only be the first. The time has come to open our caches, and to build a Touman as Nicholas Kerensky wished. Perhaps we can teach the other Clans by our example—but what we have built here must not be destroyed.”

Karianna bowed, “I shall call together those who failed their bloodname trials; the warriors we’ve kept and trained in secret. What of our experimental sibkos?”

“I had hoped ours would be the last of the old generation,” Arc Keller mused quietly. “In another ten years they may have had the numbers to supplant us: Mechwarrior, Pilot, and Elementals all. We shall have to make do with what we have now. This has been a long time in coming but we are prepared. The Clans will endure—we shall see to it.”

A) King of the Pirates
The Pirates of Tortuga are up-in-arms yet again, with the disappearance of the Lady Death and numerous failures to seize control of the desperate pirate bands, an outside force of refugees from the distant Oberon Confederation may be able to seize control of the Dominions and establish a new pirate kingdom for themselves in Tortuga!

B) Maelstrom (3-way battle)
Clan Goliath Scorpion has won the bid to capture Tukayyid but a “rogue” element of Clan Widowmaker has launched an invasion anyway, in the hopes of winning the world before the Goliath Scorpions can do so. This is the moment Clan Goliath Scorpion has been waiting for: the world is theirs by Clan law, and the forces of Clan Widowmaker have begun a Grand Melee. The Goliath Scorpions are now free to hunt down the Widowmakers while the ilKhan’s hands are tied.

C) The Next Generation
Faced with the necessity of building a military quickly, Clan Blood Spirit has opened their caches and has begun a massive series of trials to assemble the core of their Touman. Amongst them, a new and experimental sibko stands ready to prove themselves worthy of defending Kerensky’s vision.

D) Kalma-Youngblood Mercenary Company, LLC
The newly minted millionaire Duncan Kalma (and his new friend, Jason Youngblood) have decided to heed the Bounty Hunter’s advice to turn their fortunes into something useful: the creation of a brand-new Mercenary unit! They’ve traveled to Galatea, the Mercenary’s Star, in the hopes of recruiting at least a company before Kalma-Youngblood Mercenary Company, LLC (Name Pending) take on their first contract!

Combat Theater Vote
A) King of the Pirates
B) Maelstrom (3-way battle)
C) The Next Generation
D) Kalma-Youngblood Mercenary Company, LLC

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 3, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

C sounds interesting. Seeds of dissent among the clans deserve a chance to grow.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Most of these sound cool, but I'm curious how PTN plans to do a three way. Let's find out, shall we?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Does the Hells Horses vote count as for or against?

Voting A: Pirates anyway.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

goatface posted:

Does the Hells Horses vote count as for or against?

Absorption is a lesser punishment, they were voting against (and offering the Ice Hellions an "out" if the vote went south, which it did).

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

I want to see a bunch of terrible pirate 'Mechs clobber each other with clubs, so A.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Absorption is a lesser punishment, they were voting against (and offering the Ice Hellions an "out" if the vote went south, which it did).

Then didn't four people (IH, HH, SJ, BS) just vote against, meaning they're fine?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Voting D, Clans be damned.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010
C) The Next Generation

Let's see if somebody in the Clans had the guts to make some ACTUAL genetic super-people. Other than Elementals, anyway. Gonna get some Elstars in on this action!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
B Clanners killing Clanners! :neckbeard:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

goatface posted:

Then didn't four people (IH, HH, SJ, BS) just vote against, meaning they're fine?

Nope, because that's not how the thread voted. So the fluff's been changed, nice catch though!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Voting for A. Because I wanna see the BattleTech equivalent of this:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

C

It's good to see Natasha's control is still heavily questioned, even though she won her vote. And that some of them are worried she's after them, too.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
B - Three Way Battle

Sounds like it'll be madness, but should be entertaining. C does sound interesting though.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
D for hot hot mercenary action.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
B looks like fun!

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Wasn't A the one where we were promised an ineffective wrecking ball on the arm of a Commando? Or maybe a Commando that WAS a wrecking ball mounted on an arm? I forget.

Edit: vvv To be completely clear, this is definitely a vote for A.

Raised by Hamsters fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 3, 2014

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

C. Lets see some experimental genetic dudes. Also I have no idea who the blood spirits are and I'd like to know more.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
A: King of the Pirates

Because everyone loves pirates.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
D: Kalma-Youngblood Mercenary Company, LLC!

I have no idea who these people are, but I want to see mercs succeed.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Raised by Hamsters posted:

Wasn't A the one where we were promised an ineffective wrecking ball on the arm of a Commando? Or maybe a Commando that WAS a wrecking ball mounted on an arm? I forget.

Pirate `Mechs in Mission A may include some or all of the following:

A Dragon with an AC/20
A Blackjack with 20 machineguns
A Luchador Charger with a flamethrower in its face and Hardened Armor
A MWO BoomJager
An Awesome with 3 AC/10s
A Centurion with a wrecking ball
A Catapult with 10 SRM-4s
A Quickdraw with a Hatchet

and others!

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

D because Mercs.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Arrr, mateys

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
B. gently caress the Widowmakers.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Pirate `Mechs in Mission A may include some or all of the following:

A Dragon with an AC/20
A Blackjack with 20 machineguns
A Luchador Charger with a flamethrower in its face and Hardened Armor
A MWO BoomJager
An Awesome with 3 AC/10s
A Centurion with a wrecking ball
A Catapult with 10 SRM-4s
A Quickdraw with a Hatchet

and others!

Well, there's a reason I'm voting A and it's the hilarious pirate custom mechs. Also that blackjack is going to be hell on anyone that doesn't mind their range. If it falls in player hands, it's going to be nice.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
C sounds really interesting.

Patchouli
Mar 30, 2011
B, because I'd like to see how the 3-way plays out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
C Because pirates probably aren't going anywhere and this actually sounds really interesting.

• Locked thread