Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
In Living Legenda MRMs are wire-guided, i.e. you can steer them in flight with your reticle. Properly used they were pretty deadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

MRMs, huh. A new type of missile spam (especially with those 40 tubes) with different range brackets? This match continues to get more interesting...

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's a great big box of cheap, unguided rockets. Emphasis on cheap, the ammo costs a sixth as much per ton as LRM ammo.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
That Charger. :swoon:

Never Not Be DFAing.

Edit: Haha, just noticed that the poor Catapult pilot has 7 Piloting. Feets, how does they work?

Rorahusky fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Oct 11, 2014

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

dis astranagant posted:

It's a great big box of cheap, unguided rockets. Emphasis on cheap, the ammo costs a sixth as much per ton as LRM ammo.

So even more dumbfire than the "missiles" that are in SRM and LRM racks? As bad as Rocket Launcher quality?

\/\/\/\/\/EDIT: Huh, interesting. So much more rocket spam this time around. Should make for some high quality (in both the normal and sarcastic senses of the word) watching.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 11, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

GhostStalker posted:

So even more dumbfire than the "missiles" that are in SRM and LRM racks? As bad as Rocket Launcher quality?

LRMs and SRMs actually have some semblance of a guidance system (especially LRMs, which are complicated 2 stage rockets that would probably never go where you tell them without some sort of active guidance). Stock MRMs are even shittier than Rocket Launchers thanks to their terrible range profile and to hit penalty on top of that. But you get fire hundreds of missiles per ton instead of 15 rockets.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
MRMs are SRMs with half the warhead and twice the fuel.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

But two and half times the range?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Kial posted:

They travel farther because they get lighter as more fuel runs out. :ssh:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Kial posted:

Srms go to range 9 actually... so two thirds more range.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

The big benefits of MRMs is that they have huge salvos, decent range, and no minimum range.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I love MRMs. They're pretty cheap and light for the amount of damage they can put out, plus you get a lot of ammo per ton. The accuracy penalty is annoying, but it's no worse than those for Heavy Lasers.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

apostateCourier posted:

no minimum range.

This is the big one, with normal LRMs and such tight quarters the poor Hunchback would've been at a huge disadvantage. Besides, it's not like the Hunchback isn't used to wanting to fight at ~3 hexes anyway.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Oct 11, 2014

Kial
Jul 23, 2006

AtomikKrab posted:

Srms go to range 9 actually... so two thirds more range.

For some reason I though they were 2/4/6. Getting rid of that min range is huge though. This mission should be highly assuming!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

apostateCourier posted:

The big benefits of MRMs is that they have huge salvos, decent range, and no minimum range.

Scintilla posted:

I love MRMs. They're pretty cheap and light for the amount of damage they can put out, plus you get a lot of ammo per ton. The accuracy penalty is annoying, but it's no worse than those for Heavy Lasers.

Makes sense, with all the crappy "missile" tech flying around in BattleTech. No minimum range but an increased max range plus a large number of missiles so if they do hit more of them usually land, but harder to land in the first place and do less damage, if I'm reading all of this here correctly.

That Apollo Fire Control System looks like it'll help with those missiles connecting albeit with less of them though, and apparently it's super advanced in the canon timeline? Wonder how those pirates got a hold of it? Raiding tech stockpiles or experimental military research facilities? Salvage after another side mixed it up with the Clans (do they even have or use that tech?)?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

MRMs in general are pretty late in the other timeline. Not so much because they're good, more because they're seen as a bit of a technological regression that no one wanted to do til the Snakes had trouble coming up with enough missiles for their mechs in the 3050s. Apollo is then a Jihad era improvement that's basically a targeting computer for your dumbfire rockets. Not really a huge advancement on its own, just a new application of existing equipment.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
The Tortuga dudes have a Bobcat so it's possible that the New Rim Worlds Republic have been giving tech to pirates as part of their false flag /catspaw style operations. It's possible that that's where Redjack Ryan's dudes snagged the Apollo FCS from too. The Capellans seem to be big on MRMs so it's possible they got it from there. Or maybe the pirates developed it themselves; they've made their own mechs before, so they aren't incapable of scraping something out themselves, particularly for primitive rockets like MRMs.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Scintilla posted:

The Tortuga dudes have a Bobcat.

Yeah, but look at the model number.

it's a prototype :supaburn:

Mostly the Hunchback has Apollo because I thought it'd make the fight more fun for the player. They did pass near Capellan space, so they probably just did a little cross-border raiding they knew would just get blamed on the League / FedSuns.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Magni posted:

Redjack Ryan was a major pirate lord of the "northern" Periphery until the Clans came and pretty much exterminated those pirate kingdoms wholesale. IIRC, in canon they outright killed him and his daughter took over the remnants of Ryans Rebels to become a huge annoyance to the Clanners over the following decades. Here he seems to have bailed in time, cirumvented the entire IS and has now turned up on Tortuga in time to take over the place after Lady Death got herself killed stomping on Hanse Davions front lawn.

Holy poo poo. In what universe does stomping on the faces of one of the most powerful factions in the world as a pirate a good idea? Why did she decide to do that?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

GhostStalker posted:

Salvage after another side mixed it up with the Clans (do they even have or use that tech?)?

The Clans do not use MRMs at all, and so also lack Apollo. As in IC-reason, it probably has to do with them finding wasteful methods distasteful, and a bunch of dumbfire missiles that can cause a lot of collateral damage is very much that. They do get access to ATM, AKA Advanced Tactical Missiles though.

Artificer posted:

Holy poo poo. In what universe does stomping on the faces of one of the most powerful factions in the world as a pirate a good idea? Why did she decide to do that?

This is making me confused as well. I mean I get that she's a ballsy pirate, but how did she think she had any chance, any at all, of successfully invading or even just raiding the capital planet of a Successor State? Even if you brought a regiment with you you still would be signing your own death warrant.

Shoeless fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 11, 2014

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I suppose we'll never know. One consequence of going one way or the other in scenario votes.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Artificer posted:

They made her a Bondsman and somewhere along the line (probably when they shot her out of her `Mech) she lost her eye.

So she stole a Timberwolf and pretty much declared Pirate War on the Clans. Which mostly turned out to be a minor annoyance until she was beaten by a kid who was hallucinating while freezing to death tripped over a secret Steel Viper weapons cache on a planet the Clans never occupied.

Edit: Oh, I misread, you were talking about Lady Death.

Lady Death's scenario was set up a lot like Luthien, if I'm remembering which vote that mission showed up in: she absolutely could've pulled it off and possibly even killed Hanse Davion in the process since the mission was basically "go in, shoot stuff up like ComStar did, try to accomplish objective before too many reinforcements show up and we get swarmed" but it would've been very difficult. And Luthien won the vote instead.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 11, 2014

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

They made her a Bondsman and somewhere along the line (probably when they shot her out of her `Mech) she lost her eye.

So she stole a Timberwolf and pretty much declared Pirate War on the Clans. Which mostly turned out to be a minor annoyance until she was beaten by a kid who was hallucinating while freezing to death tripped over a secret Steel Viper weapons cache on a planet the Clans never occupied.

Lady Death's scenario was set up a lot like Luthien, if I'm remembering which vote that mission showed up in: she absolutely could've pulled it off and possibly even killed Hanse Davion in the process since the mission was basically "go in, shoot stuff up like ComStar did, try to accomplish objective before too many reinforcements show up and we get swarmed" but it would've been very difficult. And Luthien won the vote instead.

Now I'm conflicted. Killing the best/worst character or taking out Luthien?

Good thing Luthien turned out awesome or that would've been a long ponder.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Do we have Stackpole to 'thank' for this?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Can't wait to see what 'mech I got. Regardless, this should be a ton of fun. I wonder what side of the map we're coming in from?

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Wait, is that the one where the kid uses a Vapor Eagle/Goshawk with a bunch of machine guns? I vaguely remember that he literally fell into the weapons cache after his scout mech was destroyed using his knowledge of the terrain to beat the pirates or something stupid.

Edit: Are 1/2 of the books where the IS fights the clans just based on plucky defenders using the terrain to their advantage against a massively superior foe?

Krumbsthumbs fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 11, 2014

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
^ God that was the dumbest book.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Saint Celestine posted:

^ God that was the dumbest book.

Which book is this?

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Edit: Are 1/2 of the books where the IS fights the clans just based on plucky defenders using the terrain to their advantage against a massively superior foe?

I would bet they are. I mean for them to win any other way would require the author actually think about the situation and come up with a plausible, non-tired tactic.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Ghost of Winter. Don't read it. Its bad.

The goshawk defeats the timberwolf by magscanning a pocket of magma, and shooting it, and then lava somehow shoots out of the ground and covers the timberwolf, crippling it.

Btw, Hows the Sagittaire hold up in the actual game? Seems like it would be a decent design.

Saint Celestine fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 11, 2014

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
King of the Pirates: Tactical Update 1

“Alright, I’m willing to entertain the idea that you may be on the up-and-up. But what about him?”

“If he’s fighting with us, you can trust him,” Jag resisted the urge to laugh at the younger Ryan’s question. The curious and strangely earnest inquiry was at odds with the icy tone she affected. She was all business and definitely the daughter of a Pirate King, but she was still only sixteen. She seemed to show an interest in broadening the way she viewed the world. Being able to classify the varying ways in which her compatriots were usefully untrustworthy rather than simply dismissing everyone around her as simply useless and untrustworthy would make her a much more valuable protégée. Jag didn’t mind teaching if it meant helping shape Susie Ryan into a leader his daughter might be able to follow some day.

The object of their discussion seemed not to hear, although “One-Eye” Susie and Jag were talking over a relatively open channel. The bright pink and orange Charger was covered head-to-toe in white stars, and stood out like a sore thumb in Tortuga’s dingy countryside. The armor plating was as cared-for as any pirate could manage, but the edges of the paint were chipping and the ceramet beneath starting to rust. A keen observer might’ve spotted the impossible thickness of those plates—Jag wasn’t sure what dark sorcery Ronald Montaigne had done to pile so much armor onto his old Charger, but they didn’t slow him down any and Jag knew the machine was one of the toughest on Tortuga.

“Independents like Randy and I have to stand out if we want to get selected for raids, so we pick bright colors and try to look as flashy or menacing as we can. I’m sure a fiery personality like you can understand.”

Susie growled into the comms, her strange Vulcan-like `Mech twisting slightly to show Jag her shoulder. An obvious reaction like that was a mistake that might’ve got her killed, and without a moment’s hesitation Jag dropped his crosshairs over her machine just long enough that she’d be sure to pick up a lock-on warning. He was already twisting away when the “Battle Cobra” spun to face him. It was menacing enough for a medium `Mech. Its armor was painted fire against a black background, with the wedge-shaped head in white like an insectoid skull and a pair of crossed white swords beneath. The left side of the cockpit had been burned and blackened, and the transplex there had been replaced with dull silver armor-plates giving the machine an “eyepatch” nearly the same shape as its pilot wore.

“Randy’s wife was a Consort. “Lucky” Liz was with the Lady Death when they tried to hit the NAIS,” Jag paused momentarily, explaining as he might’ve to his own daughter. “If he’s here now, he’s wanting a little revenge on Paula Trevaline and he’s going to beat it out of Wendy Colbane. She’s on the Council of the Damned and the highest ranking Consort left. She’s not ready to risk naming herself the Lady Death’s successor yet which is why an independent like me is free enough to make a move. Wendy’s just paralyzed right now, because she knows what happens to Pirates who try to take over after Paula Trevaline dies.”

“You say that like she’s died before,” Susie sounded angry and incredulous. She hadn’t liked Jag’s subtle reminder of her vulnerability.

“She has,” Jag replied dryly. “It was a game for her when she was younger: every time she’d catch rumors of someone looking to knock her out she’d ‘die’ in an explosion and see who tried to seize power. She started a few wars the first few times as rivals tried to seize power simultaneously only to pop up with the Consorts and slaughter everyone on both sides. Took three, maybe four tries before people wised up. Next time she tried it nobody took power—she let Tortuga linger in uncertainty for six months. Nobody would raid ‘cause everyone was worried their rivals would try to seize power in the interim; and nobody was willing to stand up and say ‘I’m in charge now’ because la Dame de la Mort.”

Susie Ryan made no reply, but the way her machine tracked the Centurion betrayed her interest. Jag continued, “When Paula returned that time, she picked a band of moderate power and annihilated them. Killed every pirate, seized every `Mech, and burned the whole city to the ground just to show the Dominions what happens when anyone so much as thinks of trying to kill her. That was pretty much the last time anyone made an attempt on her.”

“If all that’s true, then why are you helping us? Why risk it?”

Jag shut his eyes, closing out the world around him for a moment. He pictured his daughter’s face, but couldn’t quite manage to make it smile. “Because Paula Trevaline is dead. I’m not afraid of the dead.”

[n/a]

Player Status:

PTN's note: I updated the art for the Battle Cobra to make it a bit more intimidating.

Opposing Force Status:

Mission Objective:
Defeat all enemies!

Secondary Objectives:
Individual Sub-Objectives Completed (0/11)

Orders Due: Tuesday Night!

Attention, Mechwarriors! You will be receiving a PM / E-Mail soon.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 12, 2014

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Saint Celestine posted:

Btw, Hows the Sagittaire hold up in the actual game? Seems like it would be a decent design.

It's decent in an urban or canyon battlefield, and it makes a good bodyguard for a fire support lance. In any other scenario, well, it's basically ineffective assuming you can stay more than 10 hexes away, and the fact that it's a 3/5/3 unit with an XL engine just makes it all the more tempting to take out with a Gauss, PPC and LRM barrage as it very slowly closes on you. I'm not a fan, but it does fill a unique niche compared to all the other assaults you see House Davion fielding in the 3060s, which tend to be played just like heavies (a Victor or Templar) or are Gauss turrets (Nightstar and Devastator).

Generally speaking, it's very dependent on battlefield conditions being heavily in its favor for it to be of very much use at all. It's kind of like a Fafnir, except less fun to play because there's not that moment where someone realizes you've maneuvered them into being at 5 hexes from your paired HGRs.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Hahaha Yes! I have jump-jets and a desire to eat trucks. First impression is to run to 0544 in preparation to devour that tasty morsel at 1239. Are we co-ordinating in thread again or is someone making a Googledoc or some such?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

apostateCourier posted:

If I get a 'mech with two hands and a piloting skill that isn't poo poo, I will absolutely attempt it.

You got your wish. Make us proud. #TheSuplexing :black101:

anakha fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 12, 2014

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

You gave me the Charger! And a pile of infantry right in front of me! Poptarts, you give the best gifts!

Wait, I forget- do vehicle flamers explode? More importantly, where's the fuel tank?

Cloud Potato posted:

Hahaha Yes! I have jump-jets and a desire to eat trucks. First impression is to run to 0544 in preparation to devour that tasty morsel at 1239. Are we co-ordinating in thread again or is someone making a Googledoc or some such?

Let's organize here. If you think we're broadcasting on anything but open frequencies, I don't know what to tell you.

apostateCourier fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 12, 2014

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Nope, just has ammo, WARCRIME some infantry.

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

While you can take some passing shots at them, your real objective should be to run to the closest enemy 'Mech and give it a flying elbow drop. Anything else is a distraction.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Cloud Potato posted:

Yeah, Lance 1 (you, myself, and Tank Boy Ken) should advance up to those buildings right ahead for cover. GruntyThrst can stand a few hexes back, since he has long range weapons. I'm going to move up to 0745. Tank Boy Ken might consider 0945. GruntyThrst might move up to 0645.

apostateCourier posted:

Wait, I forget- do vehicle flamers explode? More importantly, where's the fuel tank?

Yes and who knows! e: Er, I thought they did, but I might be wrong.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The flamer ammo is probably in the center torso, PTN usually puts ammo as close to the weapon as possible.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
In case people are wondering, here are the melee options available to the Charger:

Simple Maneuvers:
Clothesline - Initiate a charge attack and tell me you're performing a Lariat. You will launch a single punch attack when you reach melee range, if it hits you will suffer half the normal charging damage (if you miss you can still hit your charge attack normally).
Flying Crossbody - Death From Above but voluntarily fail your piloting checks to avoid a fall. Your enemy will automatically fall with no piloting checks allowed.
Leg Drop - Death From Above a prone target but voluntarily fail your piloting checks to avoid a fall. you'll take no falling damage but will still have to stand up on the next turn

Multi-turn Maneuvers:
Initiators:
Grab - Hit with both punch attacks but opt to deal no damage. Doing so immobilizes the target next turn and allows you to use a better move in the next attack phase. This does not count as a wrestling move!
Irish Whip - Push an enemy into a building hex

Follow-up Maneuvers:
Russian Leg Sweep - Hit with a kick the turn after a you hit with an Initiator to automatically knock your target prone
Body Slam - Attack with two punches the turn after an Initiator and tell me you're performing a Body Slam. You and your target will both fall prone and your target will suffer all damage to its rear armor.
Piledriver - Attack with two punches the turn after an Initiator and tell me you're performing a Piledriver. You and your target will both fall prone and your target will automatically suffer the first five points of damage to its Head.
Suplex - Attack with a push the turn after an Initiator, if you hit your opponent will fall prone in the hex directly behind you and suffer damage as though falling from height 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

AtomikKrab posted:

Nope, just has ammo, WARCRIME some infantry.

EXCELLENT

LET'S MAKE WITH THE MURDER

I SEE YOU RUNNING, LITTLE BABY FIRESTARTER, COME BACK AND FIGHT!

Don't expect me to coordinate with anyone. My entire plan is to run and jump around the map spewing flames and lasers in every direction, hunting for mans to suplex/flying elbow drop/chokeslam/spinebuster/dropkick.

PoptartsNinja posted:

In case people are wondering, here are the melee options available to the Charger:

Simple Maneuvers:
Clothesline - Initiate a charge attack and tell me you're performing a Lariat. You will launch a single punch attack when you reach melee range, if it hits you will suffer half the normal charging damage (if you miss you can still hit your charge attack normally).
Flying Crossbody - Death From Above but voluntarily fail your piloting checks to avoid a fall. Your enemy will automatically fall with no piloting checks allowed.
Leg Drop - Death From Above a prone target but voluntarily fail your piloting checks to avoid a fall. you'll take no falling damage but will still have to stand up on the next turn

Multi-turn Maneuvers:
Initiators:
Grab - Hit with both punch attacks but opt to deal no damage. Doing so immobilizes the target next turn and allows you to use a better move in the next attack phase. This does not count as a wrestling move!
Irish Whip - Push an enemy into a building hex

Follow-up Maneuvers:
Russian Leg Sweep - Hit with a kick the turn after a you hit with an Initiator to automatically knock your target prone
Body Slam - Attack with two punches the turn after an Initiator and tell me you're performing a Body Slam. You and your target will both fall prone and your target will suffer all damage to its rear armor.
Piledriver - Attack with two punches the turn after an Initiator and tell me you're performing a Piledriver. You and your target will both fall prone and your target will automatically suffer the first five points of damage to its Head.
Suplex - Attack with a push the turn after an Initiator, if you hit your opponent will fall prone in the hex directly behind you and suffer damage as though falling from height 3.

Oh my god you're the best PTN!

• Locked thread