Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Fixed that again, that's the Combine's standard execution technique for traitors who are unlucky enough to not be summarily executed on capture.

I knew the DC was intended as the black hat of early BT but good lord :stare:

Holybat fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Holybat posted:

Remember Shogun? That's the Combine.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
So with all the recent talk of Clans, boxing robots and the spriting I've been doing I suddenly remembered there's one I hadn't done yet - Task Force Serpent's King Cobra. I spent most of the day working on it, so have a look:

Massive 'Get Off My Lawn' stick included. As with the other custom designs I took a lot of cues from Xarbala's drawings, and while I don't think I got the 'V' shaped panels near the shoulders quite right I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. I also coloured it in Star Adder Alpha Galaxy colours:

I like black and blue as a colour scheme, they go really well together. But as I was finishing up I got the feeling that something was missing. Something that should be there, but wasn't. Something...vital. So I made a slight addition, and...

This hand of mine burns with an awesome power!! :black101:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Holybat posted:

Remember: the DC was so bad that they had to introduce the loving Clans to make them seem comparatively okay.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

You know, I've always thought that one of the fundamental flaws of the early BT universe was that they made House Davion too powerful. Having the ostensible good guys be more powerful than the designated bad guys makes for poor drama. And it leads to stuff like the 4th Succession War where we're supposed to be impressed that the mighty House Davion kicked the poo poo out of tiny House Liao. Throw in "we had a huge military advantage over you AND a couple spies in your highest leadership circles so we could read your mail" and it feels less like brilliant strategy and more like a curb stomping.

On the other hand, if you'd flipped the script, made Davion the tiny remnant of a once great nation and had them win back of pile of lost worlds through strategy and spycraft? That leaves you a better game universe where Davion won the 4th War but is still in danger from angry, bloodied neighbors as opposed to what we got with the nigh invincible Federated Commonwealth that would have to be dutifully disassembled to restore balance to the game setting.

In short, what Battletech often fails at is balancing the needs of stories versus that of the game universe, and a lot of that comes from the way they setup the Inner Sphere in 3025 in the first place.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I think the issue with that analysis is referring to House Davion as "the good guys." Because - at least in regards to how the Inner Sphere was set up from the very beginning - there were never intended to be any good guys. That only came about after the fact, when guys like Stackpole decided that Space Feudalism would be awesome (never mind the hordes of destitute peasants), and they wrote the Davions as essentially the universe's protagonists.

That isn't a failure of universe design so much as it's a failure that was bolted on later, after the design was already complete, is my point.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
From my (admittedly fairly limited) understanding of the topic it's not so much the fact that the Davions won effortlessly but the way that Hanse et al were portrayed while they were fighting, with the emphasis less on "I'm going to crush and humiliate Max for trying to replace me with a body double!" and more on "I must liberate those poor Space Chinese from the terrible slavery they are enduring!". Basically Stackpole chose them as his pet faction and wrote the characters more heroically than they warranted.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
House Davion was never intended to be "more powerful" than the others. In 3025 and for pretty much all of their history they're weaker than House Kurita and House Marik (and everyone's weaker than House Steiner).

If you need proof of this, look up the Kentares Massacre and then find Kentares on a map of Davion space. Kentares is something around 2-4 jumps from New Avalon.

It was only the merger with House Steiner and Hanse Davion coming up with the Command Circuit (a "relay race" of JumpShips set up in advance to deliver troops with only a few hours wait between jumps rather than entire weeks) that turned House Davion into a superpower. Setting up those Command Circuits and the resulting ComStar interdiction should've utterly tanked the Federated Suns' economy (and probably done a number on the Lyran economy as well) but BattleTech almost never touches on Inner Sphere economics so of course they recovered in time to fight House Kurita to a draw in 3039 (House Kurita still won, since the worlds Hanse took were unimportant and the worlds Theodore took were actually useful :ssh: ), even though those economics are theoretically a huge part of the setting.

Scintilla posted:

Basically Stackpole chose them as his pet faction and wrote the characters more heroically than they warranted.

It's not even that, so much. Stackpole has a thing for warriors. Not soldiers, but heroic Conans flexing and showing their innate primitive or neo-primitive nobility. See also: what he did to the Twi'leks in Star Wars.

He was also writing with horrifying deadlines that basically required him to go from one novel to the next with minimal planning; so he knew what point A and point C were but not necessarily how to convincingly reach point B along the way.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Dec 14, 2014

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I think the issue with that analysis is referring to House Davion as "the good guys." Because - at least in regards to how the Inner Sphere was set up from the very beginning - there were never intended to be any good guys. That only came about after the fact, when guys like Stackpole decided that Space Feudalism would be awesome (never mind the hordes of destitute peasants), and they wrote the Davions as essentially the universe's protagonists.

That isn't a failure of universe design so much as it's a failure that was bolted on later, after the design was already complete, is my point.

Given that we were just talking about how the Draconis Combine were the designated "bad guys" of the pre-Clan setting, it kinda tracks that the two houses in opposition to House Kurita tend to be the de facto "good guys". Sure, I suppose if you go back to the original few paragraphs of flavor tech in the original Battletech box you can find a degree of equanimity, but all of the earliest novels are written either pro-Davion or pro-Steiner. And that's the pre-Stackpole stuff. It only gets amplified once he hits the scene. Further, we're not talking a long time. Battledroids was in 1984, Battletech in '85. The three Grey Death novels, all pro-Steiner and anti-Kurita/Marik were '86-87, and The Sword and the Dagger, pro-Davion & anti-Liao, was 1987 as well, and then Warrior: En Garde is '88.

So if you're arguing that Davion and Steiner as the "good guys" was after the fact, it certainly wasn't very much after the fact. Like, what, two to three years?

Mind you, when I was looking all that up it reminded me how quickly the Clan stuff came into the universe. Warrior: Coup and Lethal Heritage both came out in 1989! So really, they'd abandoned the 3025 setting only five years into the game's history! It's kinda hard to believe how much love people have for an era of the game that was the default setting for only the first few years.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

A big part of that, I think, is the depth that the 3025 setting had been covered when you compare it to 3050+. The House sourcebooks cover 3025 in SO much more depth than anything that came out for a decade or more. All we got until the 3060s when they decided to get into more depth with things is sourcebooks on campaigns and armies or novels where the original ambiguous aspects of the faction were generally glossed over (especially the Davion-centric ones). People latched onto 3025 because the writers had really fleshed it out.

e: I would say Decision at Thunder Rift is not particularly pro-Steiner. The protagonists work for them but they're not portrayed as particularly good employers; they're only attractive because your check always shows up on time.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 14, 2014

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

there can be no peace until everyone is safe

jng2058 posted:

Given that we were just talking about how the Draconis Combine were the designated "bad guys" of the pre-Clan setting, it kinda tracks that the two houses in opposition to House Kurita tend to be the de facto "good guys". Sure, I suppose if you go back to the original few paragraphs of flavor tech in the original Battletech box you can find a degree of equanimity, but all of the earliest novels are written either pro-Davion or pro-Steiner. And that's the pre-Stackpole stuff. It only gets amplified once he hits the scene. Further, we're not talking a long time. Battledroids was in 1984, Battletech in '85. The three Grey Death novels, all pro-Steiner and anti-Kurita/Marik were '86-87, and The Sword and the Dagger, pro-Davion & anti-Liao, was 1987 as well, and then Warrior: En Garde is '88.

So if you're arguing that Davion and Steiner as the "good guys" was after the fact, it certainly wasn't very much after the fact. Like, what, two to three years?

Mind you, when I was looking all that up it reminded me how quickly the Clan stuff came into the universe. Warrior: Coup and Lethal Heritage both came out in 1989! So really, they'd abandoned the 3025 setting only five years into the game's history! It's kinda hard to believe how much love people have for an era of the game that was the default setting for only the first few years.

That timeline blows me away. I became a fan of Battletech because the Mechwarrior game for the SNES had a great writeup in Nintendo Power, and when I saw Decision at Thunder Rift at a bookstore and realized it was for the same thing I went ahead and read it. I think I'd read all the Gray Death books by the time I saw the cartoon. Then there were the toys, and the Exosquad ones too...I guess what I'm saying is, I didn't realize that they went that "big" that fast. I figured I was about 5 years later to the Battletech party.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I don't think they initially wanted to spend as much time in the 3050s as they did, but the novel line started driving developments in the game universe rather than the other way around. It seemed to me that the initial plan was to make periodic jumps like they did between 3025 and 3050, but it didn't quite work out.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Welp, that was pretty much an ideal scatter.

Shinarato
Apr 22, 2013
Ideal for who though?! I must know!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Shinarato posted:

Ideal for who though?! I must know!

For the people who didn't get hit directly by an Arrow IV?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

PoptartsNinja posted:

A.k.a not the local population.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Regardless, it's a solid win for giant robot combat entertainment!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Defiance Industries posted:

e: I would say Decision at Thunder Rift is not particularly pro-Steiner. The protagonists work for them but they're not portrayed as particularly good employers; they're only attractive because your check always shows up on time.

You would think that for a mercenary organization this is a big positive, though. Perhaps not applicable to everyone, but still.

PoptartsNinja posted:

it was nice knowing you, Voyager. We'll always be .... crit-buddies ...

*stackpoles*

e: Hypothetically, PTN, would it be possible to hit the news helicopter with an Arrow IV? Either by accident or design?

Psion fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 14, 2014

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

PoptartsNinja posted:

Regardless, it's a solid win for giant robot combat entertainment!

Whoever loses, we win.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Psion posted:

e: Hypothetically, PTN, would it be possible to hit the news helicopter with an Arrow IV? Either by accident or design?

Nope. The only way it could possibly take damage is if it were flying at height 2 or lower and then only from splash. VTOLs are immune to artillery unless you're firing an AA Arrow IV or a Homing Arrow IV.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

PoptartsNinja posted:

Nope. The only way it could possibly take damage is if it were flying at height 2 or lower and then only from splash. VTOLs are immune to artillery unless you're firing an AA Arrow IV or a Homing Arrow IV.

Or are using tactical nukes! Buy one today! Since even with those a close miss - You can still land a good enough hit! Now with a sweet white leather covered case. Order within the next 3 months and receive a ton of Inforno SRM* or LRM* for FREE! Shipping included within 3 Jumps!

*specify your prefered missile type while placing the order.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Davy Crockett Long Tom munitions are hilarious and it is my hope that the players will one day get to experience their insanity firsthand. You don't even need to be inside the initial blast radius because the secondary effects can absolutely wreck your poo poo anyway.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Psion posted:

You would think that for a mercenary organization this is a big positive, though. Perhaps not applicable to everyone, but still.

It's a big plus but you can't spend all those fat stacks of Kroner if you're dead. In 3025, people didn't hire mercenary units to supplement an assault force, they hired them so they could use them in place of Regular units. As a result, mercs did almost all the dying in campaigns.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
So how many TACs did the Awesome take this turn?

Psion posted:

it was nice knowing you, Voyager. We'll always be .... crit-buddies ...

*stackpoles*

Perhaps I should have mentioned that there was some liability in grouping up one hex outside of nominal artillery range!

*chestbump*

Blackjack (player)
-Chestbumps Centurion (6 base + 1 movement + 2 allied movement -4 willing target = 5): rolled 7, hit!
--Centurion is a total bro!
-Must pass piloting test to avoid damage (6 base + 2 chest bump = 8): rolled 4, failed!
--suffers 10 damage to center torso (13/18 armor remaining), right torso (7/12 armor remaining)! TAC!

-Through-armor critical chance in right torso! 1 critical hit sustained!
--Machine gun ammo hit!
-suffers ∞ damage in ammunition explosion to right torso, (0/11 structure remaining) Torso Destroyed! Arm blown off!
--∞ damage transfers to center torso (0/14 structure remaining) Mech destroyed!

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 15, 2014

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The same number of TACs as Arrow IV inflicted head hits.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
King of the Pirates: Tactical Update 15

The mountain of a man known simply as Arroca made the Awesome’s broad, spacious cockpit seem cramped and small. Hulking over the controls like the hairy beast from some Drac monster trivid, glowered at the growing collection of gnats nipping at his machine’s heels. Originally a part of the insurgency raised by Jag Cordeaux, Arroca had betrayed his “friend” for the promise of a captaincy in the Tortuga Fusiliers. He’d fought hard and supported Sal through her idiotic last stand.

“Captain Colbane,” he growled into the frequency the Fusiliers shared with the Death’s Consorts. “I need support, if I’m to rejoin your forces and provide further support.”

The radio remained stubbornly silent. Arroca smashed his hammy palm into the console. “Captain—”

“I heard you the first time, Captain.” the cold, cruel voice of Wendy Colbane filled the comms at last. “I believe we’ll take our chances but, one last word of advice?”

“Duck.”

Arroca roared in anger, his Awesome twisting as he took his fury out on the control console. “Jag,” he roared over an open frequency. “The Death’s Consorts have left me to die. Put in a good word for me with your man, and I’ll join you.”

“Stupid son-of-a—”

“What do you think, Jag?” Redjack Ryan’s voice was more bored than Jag might’ve expected. As though the day’s battle was as ordinary as a walk to the corner grocers for bread and a little deep-fried sewer urchin.

“Bastard was part of my crew, but he turned on me when the Sal offered him a Captaincy.”

Redjack snorted, “Was that a good offer?”

Jag shook his head involuntarily, even though Ryan couldn’t see. “The Fusiliers don’t recognize any male captains.”

Ryan laughed at that. “A traitor I can abide, but a traitor and a fool? He’s your friend, Jag. Please convey to Mister Arroca,” Ryan paused for a melodramatic second, “my condolences.”

Indirect-Fire Artillery Targeting Phase
Marauder
- Fires Arrow IV missile at hex [firing unit not in Line of Sight]! Flight time is 0 turns (target within 17 hexes)!

Movement Phase
Charger
- Must pass a piloting test to stand (4 base = 4): rolled 6, succeeds! Stands facing hex 0720!
- Enters building hex 0820 (4 base + 0 light building = 4): rolled 7, succeeds!
- Exits building hex 0820 (4 base + 0 light building = 4): rolled 7, succeeds!
- Enters building hex 0921 (4 base + 0 light building = 4): rolled 11, succeeds!

Indirect-Fire Artillery Phase
Marauder
- Fires Arrow IV missile at hex 0817 (3 base + 0 movement + 7 indirect fire artillery = 10): rolled 8, missile lands in scatter radius 2!
- - Rolled 3, missile scatters into hex 0918!
- - Rolled 1, invalid result! Rerolled 2, missile scatters into hex 1017!
missile scatters into hex 0918!
- Building hex 1016 suffers 10 damage (0/10 CF remaining)! building collapses
- Building hex 1117 suffers 10 damage (0/10 CF remaining)! building collapses
- Building hex 1118 suffers 10 damage (0/10 CF remaining)! building collapses
- Blackjack suffers 20 damage to Left Leg (12/17 armor remaining), Head (4/9 armor remaining (Pilot Hit!)), Left Arm (7/12 armor remaining), Center Torso (13/18 armor remaining)!
- Centurion suffers 10 damage to Right Leg (11/16 armor remaining), Right Torso (8/13 armor remaining)!

Combat Phase
Charger (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 10!

Warhammer (Player)
- Fires ER PPC at Starforce DRM HQ 0821 (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement - 4 enemy movement = 2): automatically hit (0/10 CF remaining)! Building destroyed!
- Fires ER PPC at Starforce DRM HQ 0820 (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement - 4 enemy movement + 1 secondary target = 3): rolled 10, hit (0/10 CF remaining)! Building destroyed!
- Gains 34 heat, sinks 34!

Catapult (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 4 heat, sinks 28!

Hunchback (Player)
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 0722!
- Fires Medium Laser at Armored Technical 0723 (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 8, hit Side (0/4 armor, 0/1 structure remaining)! Truck destroyed!
- Fires Medium Laser at Armored Technical 0723 (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 8, hit Side!
- Fires Medium Laser at Armored Technical 0723 (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 8, hit Side!
- Gains 9 heat, sinks 13!

Centurion (Player)
- Fires SRM-6 at Awesome (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 5): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires SRM-6 at Awesome (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 5): rolled 10, 2 missiles hit Rear Right Torso (8/10 armor remaining), Left Leg (25/27 armor remaining)!
- Fires SRM-6 at Awesome (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 5): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires SRM-6 at Awesome (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 5): rolled 8, 4 missiles hit Left Leg (23/27 armor remaining), Rear Left Torso (8/10 armor remaining), Right Arm (20/22 armor remaining), Rear Center Torso (8/10 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Awesome (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 5): rolled 5, hit Right Arm (15/20 armor remaining)!
- Gains 21 heat, sinks 12! Overheating!

Blackjack (Player)
- Fires Medium Laser at Awesome (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 4): rolled 5, hit Left Arm (17/22 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Awesome (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 4): rolled 5, hit Left Arm (12/22 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Awesome (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 4): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Awesome (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 4): rolled 4, hit Right Arm (10/22 armor remaining)!
- Fires Machine Gun at Awesome (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 7, hit Left Leg (23/27 armor remaining)!
- Fires Machine Gun at Awesome (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 9, hit Rear Center Torso (6/10 armor remaining)!
- Fires Machine Gun at Awesome (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Machine Gun at Awesome (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 9, hit Left Leg (21/27 armor remaining)!
- Fires Machine Gun at Awesome (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 7, hit Rear Left Torso (6/10 armor remaining)!
- Fires Machine Gun at Awesome (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 7, hit Right Leg (15/27 armor remaining)!
- Fires Machine Gun at Awesome (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 6, hit Rear Left Torso (4/10 armor remaining)!
- Fires Machine Gun at Awesome (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 6, hit Rear Center Torso (4/10 armor remaining)!
- Fires Machine Gun at Awesome (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Machine Gun at Awesome (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 11, hit Left Arm (10/22 armor remaining)!
- Fires Machine Gun at Awesome (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Machine Gun at Awesome (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 11, hit Right Leg (13/27 armor remaining)!
- Fires Machine Gun at Awesome (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 8, hit Left Arm (8/22 armor remaining)!
- Fires Machine Gun at Awesome (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Machine Gun at Awesome (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires Machine Gun at Awesome (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 12, hit Right Leg (/ armor remaining)!
- Fires Machine Gun at Awesome (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 7, hit Rear Center Torso (2/10 armor remaining)! TAC!
- Fires Machine Gun at Awesome (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires Machine Gun at Awesome (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 12, hit Rear Right Torso (6/10 armor remaining)!
- Gains 14 heat, sinks 13!

Assassin (Player)
- Fires Large Laser at Awesome (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 5): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires Small Laser at Awesome (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 7): rolled 9, hit Right Arm (7/22 armor remaining)!
- Fires Small Laser at Awesome (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 7): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Small Laser at Awesome (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 7): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Small Laser at Awesome (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 7): rolled 9, hit Center Torso (27/30 armor remaining)!
- Fires Small Laser at Awesome (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 7): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Small Laser at Awesome (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 7): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Small Laser at Awesome (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 7): rolled 2, miss!
- Gains 15 heat, sinks 22!

Battle Cobra (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 28!

Clint (Player)
- No Line of Sight to primary target!
- Secondary target already destroyed!
- No Line of Sight to tertiary target!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 14!

King Crab
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 44!

Marauder
- Holds fire!
- Gains 11 heat, sinks 17!

Griffin
- Holds fire!
- Gains 5 heat, sinks 22!

Awesome
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 0819!
- Fires Autocannon/10 at Assassin (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement = 7): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Autocannon/10 at Assassin (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement = 7): rolled 10, hit Right Leg (0/16 armor, 2/10 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Fires Autocannon/10 at Assassin (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement = 7): rolled 8, hit Right Torso (6/16 armor remaining)!
- Gains 10 heat, sinks 10!

End Phase:
Blackjack
- Achievement Unlocked: Artillery Magnet
- Must pass a 3+ consciousness test: rolled 5, succeeds!
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (6 base + 1 massive damage = 7): rolled 7, succeeds!

Assassin
- Critical chance in Right Leg! No critical hits sustained!

Awesome
- Through-armor critical chance in Center Torso! 1 critical hit sustained!
- - Engine hit!
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (6 base + 1 massive damage = 7): rolled 10, succeeds!

Physical Combat Phase:
Centurion
- Attacks Awesome with Wrecking Ball (3 base + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 wrecking ball = 6): rolled 3, miss!

Player Status:

Opposing Force Status:

Mission Objective:
Defeat all enemies!

Secondary Objectives:
Individual Sub-Objectives Completed (2/11)

Orders Due: Tuesday Night!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 15, 2014

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Our Assassin has zero luck, holy poo poo.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I passed a piloting test!

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Voyager I posted:

I passed a piloting test!

I survived! I guess I'm going to just celebrate it by moving forward into the last building left standing in my current Hex row (0819). And then shooting the Awesome into the face!

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

apostateCourier posted:

I don't know, hitting the engine on the single TAC you score off that salvo? Silver linings.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

^^^ That was the Blackjack.

apostateCourier posted:

The Cent's rolling wasn't much better.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Well I'm not gonna cry at Starforce DRM HQ getting razed to the ground and I don't think we'll find many to disagree.

Also our poor little Assassin is gonna bite it pretty soon, I think.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

quote:

- Attacks Awesome with Wrecking Ball (3 base + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 wrecking ball = 6): rolled 3, miss!

:smith:

I'm overheating so I can't go alpha his rear end again either.

I don't know where to move. I don't want to get shot by the Awesome, but I'm not interested in ignoring Sal's wreck of a mech anymore.

e: PTN, did Arroca hear the conversation between Jag and Ryan? I've got an idea if he didn't.

Psion fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 15, 2014

Shinarato
Apr 22, 2013
I notice that the last hit to the right leg in the machine gun barrage is missing the armor values.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Nobody blew up 0819. Now I can only hit him with 1 ERPPC :saddowns:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
We can just have the hunchback level it with his two medium lasers at the start of next turn's shooting. He still gets to let off with his MRMs and it opens up line of sight for the rest of you snipey bastards. The Hunchback is also the toughest mech we have left (along with the Warhammer) and he can handle a turn of AC/10 fire without getting dangerously low anywhere.

I'm seriously considering just walking behind the Awesome again. One more turn of artillery is quite unlikely to actually kill me and a rear CT with 2 points of armor and one engine hit already on the books is too tempting to resist. Even if I end up crippled, I can just spend the rest of the match being a huge coward like I was the rest of the time.

EDIT: this is my 2nd random engine TAC on a mech with 10 heat sinks of the match. When PTN sent me the questions, I asked for a jumpy mech with the capacity to be an rear end in a top hat and oh boy did he deliver :allears:

EDIT EDIT: I am at 7 TACs so far for the mission.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 15, 2014

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Voyager I posted:

We can just have the hunchback level it with his two medium lasers at the start of next turn's shooting. He still gets to let off with his MRMs and it opens up line of sight for the rest of you snipey bastards. The Hunchback is also the toughest mech we have left (along with the Warhammer) and he can handle a turn of AC/10 fire without getting dangerously low anywhere.

I'm the Warhammer; I think only the Charger goes before I do in the shooting round.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
There's no set firing sequence for mechs on the same team; PTN just does them in the same order every turn because that simplifies the update process. If we request a specific change and have a good reason he would probably be accommodating.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Charger running to 1014 and kicking down a building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Voyager I posted:

There's no set firing sequence for mechs on the same team; PTN just does them in the same order every turn because that simplifies the update process.

I tend to do movement from lightest to heaviest and shooting from heaviest to lightest to give people in smaller machines a chance to get kills too :ssh:

• Locked thread