Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'll be needing a non-playing volunteer anyway for one specific thing...

Dibs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Kial posted:

This must be picked. It'll be funny when it scatters into empty space every turn.

REDACTED area denial.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
PTN, you mentioned you were rolling for the reinforcement mechs. Was wondering how that all went down and what you needed to roll.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

There are no good guys here. We're either playing Space Mongols Only Stupider, or we're playing Space Racist Caricatures Of The Japanese Only Now They're Led By One Of The Biggest Mary Sues In The Canon. Whoever wins, we lose. In a winning kind of way.

i think there's a big gap between how they were originally presented (authoritarian state that basically forced all this poo poo on people because it's run by weeabold and/or Japanese right-wingers) and the vaguely racist hack work of bad authors like Stackpole.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Kial posted:

PTN, you mentioned you were rolling for the reinforcement mechs. Was wondering how that all went down and what you needed to roll.

I rolled randomly for the `Mech, and depending on the `Mech they had different chances of actually showing up depending on how much I wanted to use them and some other factors.

I kept rolling the Whitworth, which had the least chance of actually making it in on account of its potential for being a horrifying "gently caress you" `Mech. (The Enforcer had the best chance of making it in on account of being even worse than the Shadow Hawk :v: )

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I have another plan in the works to "make the Clans more interesting." Simply shaking up which ones were invading was just phase 1.

Does it include our favorite traitorous clan washout by chance? I do hope he survived long enough to escape with the death commandos.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

I have another plan in the works to "make the Clans more interesting." Simply shaking up which ones were invading was just phase 1.

The clans are drat interesting, don't listen to the haters! Instead, listen to me, the lover. Wait, that didn't come out right. Listen to... your heart?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Defiance Industries posted:

i think there's a big gap between how they were originally presented (authoritarian state that basically forced all this poo poo on people because it's run by weeabold and/or Japanese right-wingers) and the vaguely racist hack work of bad authors like Stackpole.

Oh absolutely, but if you're going to overgeneralize in what was clearly an unsuccessful attempt to be funny, I figure you may as well go all the way.

Lenisto
Nov 1, 2012
It's not likely to win, but 2B.

Always had a soft spot for the Clans (especially since I didn't really know any of the lore until reading this thread). Marcus Kurita needs to prove himself against them too, in the same way these green RCTs need to prove themselves so he gets my vote.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Oh absolutely, but if you're going to overgeneralize in what was clearly an unsuccessful attempt to be funny, I figure you may as well go all the way.

That wasn't a joke, that was actually what they decided to do.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Poptarts Ninja posted:

Clan Steel Viper / Task Force Serpent - Respond to challenges from the Lyran Commonwealth, but only for physical combat duels.
Reading through the OP again, this remains my favorite line. :allears:

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I eagerly await the moment the players are able to take advantage of said challenges. Hope the Lyrans are keeping their Hatchets sharp.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
The thread climax will occur when Star Colonel Steiner is beaten in a robot fistfight on the Lyran capital.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Tran posted:

The thread climax will occur when Star Colonel Steiner is beaten in a robot wrestling match on the Lyran capital.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Tran posted:

The thread climax will occur when Star Colonel Steiner is beaten in a robot wrestling match on the Lyran capital of Luthien.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

Tran posted:

The thread climax will occur when Star Colonel Steiner is beaten in a robot fistfight on the Lyran capital.

"By gawd, that's Randy Montaigne's music!"

The hero we deserve.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
REDJACK RYAN
TORTUGA SYSTEM

MASTER RYAN -(STOP)- HOUSE STEINER SENDS ITS REGARDS AND CONGRATULATES YOU ON YOUR ACCESSION TO RULERSHIP OF TORTUGA -(STOP)- WE ARE PREPARED TO VACATE ALL EXTANT WARRANTS AND PENALTIES LEVIED AGAINST MEMBERS OF YOUR MILITARY -(STOP)- IN EXCHANGE WE REQUEST THE EXTRADITION OF ONE RONALD A K A RANDY MONTAIGNE -(STOP)- LET US ASSURE YOU THAT MECHWARRIOR MONTAIGNE WILL NOT BE PUNISHED FOR PAST CRIMES AGAINST THE LYRAN COMMONWEALTH -(STOP)- WE INTEND TO PLACE MECHWARRIOR MONTAIGNE IN CHARGE OF A TRAINING BATTALION -(STOP)- WE BELIEVE THAT MECHWARRIOR MONTAIGNE'S SKILLS WILL BE INVALUABLE IN TRAINING LYRAN MECHWARRIORS TO FEND OFF ATTACKS BY CLAN STEEL VIPER -(STOP)- WE LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR REPLY -(STOP)- COMSTAR HAS BEEN INSTRUCTED TO CHARGE ALL DIPLOMATIC COMMUNICATIONS BETWEEN OUR POLITIES TO OUR ACCOUNT SO THERE WILL BE NO FEE FOR OPENING DISCUSSION ON THIS MATTER

HAUPTMANN-GENERAL HARRISON BRADFORD, THIRD ROYAL GUARDS, COVENTRY

(ed: I had no idea how ComStar might format messages so I just looked up an old-timey telegraph. That sounds about right)

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 6, 2015

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I understand that text is charged "by the page" so I think it's probably like a fax. Future of the 80s

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

I understand that text is charged "by the page" so I think it's probably like a fax. Future of the 80s

Isn't it charged one C-bill per second of transmission? So lots of shortened words or something? Then again, the representatives of Great Houses could probably afford longer, more precise diplomatic messaging.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

evilmiera posted:

Isn't it charged one C-bill per second of transmission? So lots of shortened words or something? Then again, the representatives of Great Houses could probably afford longer, more precise diplomatic messaging.

That's for video. I would like to know how Comstar decides how many characters constitute a "page".

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Combat Theater Vote 17 Results

A Mechwarrior tugged at his neurohelmet as the cherry-picker descended from his Dragon’s cockpit. Fresh pockmarks from enemy autocannon hits still marred the machine’s chests. Technicians already swarmed over the BattleMech’s lower extremities , cursing each other in a mix of broken English or equally broken Japanese. They were still rough around the edges but the technicians, at least, were working together. Rough was a word that described the Draconis Suns RCTs well: They’d been brought together with a mix of officers and Mechwarriors from several shattered Kuritan commands shorn up with experienced House Davion officers taken from regiments formerly serving along the Capellan border.

Theoretically, Hanse Davion had assembled a collection of veteran and elite soldiers that should’ve had little reason to hate each other. But they did anyway. To Minobu Tetsuhara’s eyes the capabilities of the Draconis Suns RCTs were questionable. Between the language barriers and general unfamiliarity with the other’s tactics—and aided by under-the-table trading of pilots—the RCT’s BattleMech forces had tended to segregate into Kurita or Davion companies. In the 3rd RCT an entire Kurita battalion had formed. The decision to break those up on the eve of battle—to forcibly reintegrate pilots who had no desire to work together—had been one of the hardest of the new Warlord’s career. But he couldn’t have Kuritan companies abandoning Davion ones in the heat of battle. He’d made it clear: trading of pilots was forbidden. They worked together or they hung.

His executive officer met him on the ground, noteputer in hand. Colonel Alicia Sandoval-Reitz held the handheld out for him as he stepped from the lift. She was the direct commander of 1st regiment, and while having a woman as his executive officer was profoundly uncomfortable, her sheer ability both on and off the field had swiftly won him over. It helped that she was as bluntly uncharismatic as any Tai-sho he’d ever served with. Colonel Sandoval-Reitz didn’t seem to care whether the troops liked her, but she did demand their loyalty and her fair dealings with the men and women under her command had gone a long way to win, if not the respect, at least the consideration of the Kuritan. Minobu’s own acceptance meant the DCMS troops would show her the same difference they would any other commanding officer. The chief tenant of Bushido was loyalty: they would do their duty and obey, whether they liked it or not. Whether the Federated Suns troops understood or not.

“At least someone’s having fun,” Colonel Sandoval-Reitz tipped her head, using her strong chin to point at the technical crews. “Was it necessary to personally enter the battle?”

“A minor skirmish,” Minobu brushed at his shoulder, as though brushing off the Colonel’s concern. “A long lance of enemy light `Mechs engaged us as I rendezvoused with fourth company. They are a courageous people but we cut them down without trouble.”

“A headhunter unit.” Sandoval-Reitz sighed. “You must be careful, Marshall.”

Minobu didn’t bat an eyelash at her use of the Federated Suns version of his title. He didn’t care how he was addressed as long as it was sufficiently respectful, and ‘Field Marshal’ didn’t carry the same negative connotations as ‘Warlord’ probably did. “Everyone fights, Colonel. I could hardly ask anyone to engage the Clans in battle if I were unwilling.”

“It’s not a matter of willingness.” Minobu could tell from the set of her jaw she likely wouldn’t be dissuaded. “With all respect Marshal Tetsuhara: everyone may fight but not everyone leads.”

Her expression soured slightly as she added, “It’s a poor servant who allows her Lord to put himself in danger needlessly.”

“I can see you won’t let go of this until I concede.” He paused, “So I will. You also needn’t walk on eggshells with me, Colonel. I understand and respect your concern, even if I do not agree. A samurai does not seek battle but I will fight when you take the field. How goes the war?”

“As much as I hate to say it, we seem to have taken the Clanners by surprise. I was against responding to the Clan broadcast but when you informed them that our regiments are newly created and have no battle history the Clans seem to have chosen forces to match. The Clans haven’t engaged us with front line troops, it’s like fighting trainees who were told to prepare for three BattleMech regiments. Being hit by three full regimental combat teams has put them completely on the defensive. We seem to have them outnumbered, but there’s no telling when that will change. First and second have taken two of our objectives, Third’s managed one against heavier opposition.”

She took a breath, “The only problem is: the Hitoshi coolant plant. We bypassed it in the first push since it’s isolated and not strategically valuable but a heavy Clan force seems to be assembling there and it’s in our back field. Our analysts think they’ve probably got some sort of supply base or ammunition dump in the area. We’ve also got a field hospital in the area because we assumed it would be safe. If the Clans hit it they’ll do a number on our morale.”

“We need to hit them with something first,” Tetsuhara agreed. “Before they can use their position to strike our forces from the rear. Our BattleMech companies are all committed, but we’re holding several tank companies in reserve. We can’t afford weakness here: choose two and send both and if you can free up scout `Mech or two commit them to the fight as well. I want to know what we’re up against. I’m trusting you, Colonel: this is normally the kind of thing I’d take on myself.”

She saluted, “I won’t let you down, sir.”

Players:
Foulbrood
Infected
Friar John
SolusLunes
Losanda
Hooman
Ba Donk a Bonk

Alternates:
sheep-dodger
Foreign Tourist
CisMaleTheSensitiv
The Merry Marauder
Allen Wren
Narsham
DivineCoffeeBinge

Player Options
Players can choose their forces from the following options. Alternates should likewise choose a preference in the (likely) event that someone will pass or won’t respond. If you aren’t familiar with the units shown in the option, click on the option for a link to the full entry.

Options

Artillery Full Datacard

Players and Alternates will be receiving an E-Mail soon tomorrow, I really need to go to bed!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
So does anyone care to give the RCT a strategy post? Especially since I expect they are newbies mostly and could use pointers on how to use vehicles as well.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
It's time. I would love a more experienced player laying out some of the ups and downs of the various groups - I have no idea how to calculate a move mod or a roll to hit, so the simpler for me, the better!

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Friar John posted:

It's time. I would love a more experienced player laying out some of the ups and downs of the various groups - I have no idea how to calculate a move mod or a roll to hit, so the simpler for me, the better!

Having the CBT tables on hand is always useful. They show you stuff like what modifiers you can get during movement and combat.

Edit: Also the second post of the OP has some useful info on game mechanics you might want to check out.

Scintilla fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Feb 6, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What, exactly, is a Wasp and why is it so pants?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Night10194 posted:

It tends to come apart under a large laser hit.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Night10194 posted:

It's a mech ripped from Macross that has the misfortune of being a 20 ton mech without fancy tech. It's too light to do anything well but tries to half rear end everything,

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Night10194 posted:

As above. It's as fast as a Phoenix Hawk (25 tons heavier than the wasp), has the least armour of any known 20-tonner (tied with the Stinger, technically), so it takes internal damage as soon as anything larger than a spitball hits it, and some idiot put a SRM-rack in a leg, so they tend to go up in rather impressive fireballs for the same reason the Marauder does.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Sel Nar posted:

As above. It's as fast as a Phoenix Hawk (25 tons heavier than the wasp), has the least armour of any known 20-tonner (tied with the Stinger, technically), so it takes internal damage as soon as anything larger than a spitball hits it, and some idiot put a SRM-rack in a leg, so they tend to go up in rather impressive fireballs for the same reason the Marauder does.

Our particular bug variant replaces the leg missiles with a knee flamer and a pair of small lasers. This doesn't make up for the fact that clan tech large lasers can leg it, mediums can chunk an arm and erppcs/gausses can straight up core it.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Feb 6, 2015

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

I'll sadly enough have to pass this time. I will be moving tomorrow and I can't say when exactly I'll have regular internet access again.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Amusingly, the Wasp was one of the original "droids" from before the game was renamed Battletech. It was also 1 ton overweight in that version and had to be corrected for the second edition.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I think PTN also mentioned that the Wasp's pilot is a trainee, so his stats are probably bad too. On the other hand the Challenger is excellent so it might still be worth picking.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Scintilla posted:

I think PTN also mentioned that the Wasp's pilot is a trainee, so his stats are probably bad too. On the other hand the Challenger is excellent so it might still be worth picking.

Everyone seems to be 4/5, which is pretty average for the Inner Sphere.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Feb 6, 2015

Sair
May 11, 2007

I am so happy for tank time.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Can they pick the same option more than once?

Edit - also pleased to see we chose the right commander for the mission! He seems well-suited to the task.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Feb 6, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Part of me is disappointed that the Partisan didn't bring a ton of flak ammo but I guess that might be a little too limiting.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Since the Clanners are generally going to be Going Fast you guys will probably want to pick Pulses and, as mentioned before, LB-10X's. PTN is probably going to bring Donars so look forward to that too.

Good luck!

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I recommend taking at least one heavy-hitter to compliment the critseekers. The Demolisher and Alacorn are excellent shitwreckers which would do the job nicely.

I also can't help but notice that infantry vulnerability is mentioned quite often as a disadvantage. Might want to keep a few machineguns handy as well, just in case.

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

Scintilla posted:

I recommend taking at least one heavy-hitter to compliment the critseekers. The Demolisher and Alacorn are excellent shitwreckers which would do the job nicely.

I also can't help but notice that infantry vulnerability is mentioned quite often as a disadvantage. Might want to keep a few machineguns handy as well, just in case.

Do machineguns fare well against Elementals? I would think you'd want something... beefier. Like an SRM6 or the like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Friar John posted:

I would love a more experienced player laying out some of the ups and downs of the various groups

The groups are theoretically balanced in such a way that they're fairly comparable to each other, but a higher BV generally means you'll have more powerful tools to play with. Anything that's particularly good (like the Alacorn, the Regulator, or the Challenger X) tend to be saddled with something fragile, silly, or generally more difficult to leverage unless they're inherently risky or tricky to use themselves (the Yellow Jackets).

There are a couple of decent options for new players but a newbie who doesn't know what to pick can't go wrong choosing the Manticore group. They've got a good mix of firepower that's almost entirely turret mounted, one of them has an LB 10-X, and they're respectably tough.

The slightly lower BV from this option also gives me less BV to play with when I assemble the OpForce. I can't promise it'll be enough to make a huge difference but I will say that Clan tanks are typically very BV hungry.

If you're looking for something faster but less forgiving, you'll probably want either the Hover or Air Cavalry option. If you choose the hovertanks be aware that the Regulator is better at fighting BattleMechs than it is at fighting other vehicles, while the Drillson is a tolerable counter to lightly-armored fast vehicles an Epona is going to rip it to shreds in a turn or two. If you choose Air Cavalry be aware that if something is going to shut you down, it's going to shut you down hard. That's why you've got a scout with you. Anything that can kill it in a turn can probably kill a Yellow Jacket in a turn. Anything with five or more weapons can kill a VTOL in a turn if it gets lucky with rotor hits :ssh:

Dolash posted:

Can they pick the same option more than once?

Every player gets one choice, but if you're asking "can multiple players pick the same option" the answer is yes.

Dolash posted:

Edit - also pleased to see we chose the right commander for the mission! He seems well-suited to the task.

There's an objective the players have to defend on this mission. Because you chose one of the generals, that defense objective isn't "Protect Duke Sandoval / Arden Sortek / Marcus Kurita"

Infected posted:

I'll sadly enough have to pass this time. I will be moving tomorrow and I can't say when exactly I'll have regular internet access again.

There's always next time! This may work out for the best, looking at the line-up I think I listed seven players when I meant to have six (with seven alternates since I thought it fairly likely at least one person would wind up passing). Lesson learned: don't do rosters at 11:00PM.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 6, 2015

• Locked thread