Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
I've never heard of a Horned Owl before, but it bears an uncanny aesthetic resemblance to a Zaku II, right down to the angle used for the line art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

No Huitlacoche, either.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

The Casualty posted:

I've never heard of a Horned Owl before, but it bears an uncanny aesthetic resemblance to a Zaku II, right down to the angle used for the line art.

A lot of early Clan mechs were made out of commissioned/bought artwork from Japanese anime artists, so it very well might have been drawn by the Zaku II artist.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hey, just for the record, the ACs on that H-Back IIC are RT/LT not RA/LT, right?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

dis astranagant posted:

No Huitlacoche, either.

I'm betting PTN didn't want to have to type Huitlacoche a bunch of times.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Elliotw2 posted:

A lot of early Clan mechs were made out of commissioned/bought artwork from Japanese anime artists, so it very well might have been drawn by the Zaku II artist.

Hmm, interesting. I'm well aware (thanks to this thread) of the massive artistic appropriation taken on by Battletech for the first editions, but I've never heard of them commissioning designs from Japan for Clan mechs. I guess that explains why this particular 'mech hasn't really needed to be Re-seen or anything, despite the obvious similarities.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Okay, some thoughts on the OpFor:

First of all, no Hueys, so there's less reason to worry about units mounting TAG. Turtling up is also now a more viable strategy.

There are only three fast hovers and just one Donar, but you'll still want to take them out nice and quick.

Ditto the Hunchback - kill it fast.

Lots of enemy units have ECM, so Artemis won't be much help.

That Anhur's 10-ton infantry bay is worrying.

--

Also it should probably be mentioned how CASE works with vehicles, because it's different than with mechs. If a CASE-equipped vehicle takes an ammo crit the damage is redirected to its rear armour, saving it. It's not a death sentence, but it usually leaves the vehicle crippled.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

All that TAG just has me worried that there's at least 1 Huey off map. Either that or it's getting ready as reinforcements.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Feb 15, 2015

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Do battlearmor have special rules this game? Aces? Otherwise getting them ontop of tanks will be very difficult. Right?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
That Mars looks like "fun".

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

paragon1 posted:

That Mars looks like "fun".

It has as much armor as a Patton (35 tons lighter) and its meaner guns are front mounted.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
It's also really slow so you can drop artillery shells on it from a distance.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I just spent the better part of the last week reading hundreds of pages of this thread, and cannot wait for this new scenario to start!

PTN: You run some awesome games here. The last scenario was fantastic and might be hard to top, but this thread just keeps giving more and more entertainment. :swoon:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Isn't this guy supposed to be from the Thieving Raccoon clan?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Can we rename that Kith guy Keith? I like the idea of Clan Warrior Keith.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

goatface posted:

Can we rename that Kith guy Keith? I like the idea of Clan Warrior Keith.

I'm down with this.

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006

The Casualty posted:

Hmm, interesting. I'm well aware (thanks to this thread) of the massive artistic appropriation taken on by Battletech for the first editions, but I've never heard of them commissioning designs from Japan for Clan mechs. I guess that explains why this particular 'mech hasn't really needed to be Re-seen or anything, despite the obvious similarities.

It actually was redone because it was produced by an outside company for FASA, and after the Unseen debacle any art that wasn't made in-house was no longer kosher to avoid legal issues.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Sludge Factory: Tactical Update 1

“I have served on some shitballs before but never one this bad.” Sergeant Major Justus Bachchan’s cigarette dipped and bobbed as he spoke. The tip was bent where it pressed into the clear face shield of his emergency oxygen mask and glowed an angry orange as the slight motion threatened to extinguish it.

“Kinda defeating the purpose of the mask there, boss,” his driver mumbled under her breath.

Justus ignored her like usual and called out his opposite among House Kurita’s troops. “Kashira Kolar, what in God’s name possessed y’all to let this place get this bad?”

“What’re you talking about, Sarge?” Lieutenant Madlyn Dalca interjected. The inclusion of an officer from the Draconis March had been a questionable one, but Dalca was a stable, good-humored young woman who got along with the Kuritans about as well as any. Which was to say: she teased them about as often as she teased Davion units and she hadn’t hesitated to use her cumbersome Partisan’s autocannons in their defense.

“That’s the Warrior Spirit. The sweet, sweet scent of Bushido!” The emphasis she placed on the last word made it sound more than a little like she was attempting to pronounce the word ‘bullshit’ with a bad Kuritan accent.

Her comparison was apt: although the world’s jewel-colored clouds had been beautiful from orbit Chatham stank worse than any sewer Justus had ever been in. A volatile mix of mildly toxic chemicals infiltrated everything and exaggerating bright colors until the sky shone blue as sapphires. On Chatham, air filters clogged in a matter of hours and even fresh ones couldn’t keep out the all-pervading stink. Even the locals, accustomed to it as they were, didn’t set foot outside without eye-protection and an emergency bottle of clean air for those not-uncommon times that the ground-level, acidic smog rolled in and the more common mix of slightly-tainted oxygen and nitrogen decided it had better places to be.

“You are not far off,” Chu-i Maki Kanon added. She was a surprisingly large woman with a voice Justus thought might just be loud enough to carry through hard vacuum. As a woman and a tank commander, Chu-i Maki had no patience for what she termed “Samurai Idiocy” and treated every `Mech jock with a sincere disrespect that had immediately endeared her to most of the RCT’s other vehicle crews. Her next words were harsh but anyone who’d spent more than a few minutes in her presence could tell she was mocking the Voice of the Dragon’s propaganda. “Anything to crush you Davion pigs. Even when we’re the ones rolling around in poo poo.”

Final Player Status:

Opposing Force Status:

Mission Objective:
Capture the Coolant Factory (0/1)

Secondary Objectives:
Protect the Mobile Army Support Hospital from detection (0/1)
Defend the Mobile Army Support Hospital (0/1)
Locate the Clan Ammunition Dump (0/1)
Destroy the Clan Ammunition Dump (0/1)

Special Rules:
Caustic, Tainted Atmosphere (TacOps p56)
Vehicles suffer an automatic Crew Stunned if armor is breached, Mechwarriors take double damage from head hits.
Point Commanders
As long as they are active combatants, the Mars Assault Vehicle and Epona Pursuit Tank may designate one unit each as an Ace for two turns. New Ace units may not be designated until Ace status expires. Units which opt to remain immobile for at least two turns gain Ace status on the first turn they move. BattleMechs and VTOLs may not be Aces.

Orders Due: Midnight Tuesday!

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Shame about the deployment, that arty would look nice tucked in behind that hill around 0906-1107.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

This certainly looks like an interesting scenario.

I realize this is something easily said for PTN's creations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Point Commanders
As long as they are active combatants, the Mars Assault Vehicle and Epona Pursuit Tank may designate one unit each as an Ace for two turns. New Ace units may not be designated until Ace status expires. Units which opt to remain immobile for at least two turns gain Ace status on the first turn they move. BattleMechs and VTOLs may not be Aces.

Why, if I'm not mistaken he is a Char. :v:

Are the "designate" and "immobility" Ace clauses independent of each other, or does it mean that the commanders can only designate Aces who've kept themselves in reserve?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
They're independent, but the commanders can't designate anything that's already an Ace due to immobility.

They also can't designate an Ace if they're dead.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Well, I've been offered different artillery types, and thought I'd ask some advice on them.

Available are standard HE, Smoke, and Thunder FASCAM.

Standard is obvious, but unsure of how Smoke rounds work in Battletech, as well as the specifics of FASCAM. I know it deploys minefields, but am unclear on just how they work, and what size it is(is it just 1 hex?).

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
Looks amazing. Where will Lord Koth drop his shells? Adds a bit of flair to the mission.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Lord Koth posted:

Standard is obvious, but unsure of how Smoke rounds work in Battletech, as well as the specifics of FASCAM. I know it deploys minefields, but am unclear on just how they work, and what size it is(is it just 1 hex?).

Minefields do the same damage as your artillery, in the same radius. So a Thunder Fascam will do 25 damage to things moving through the hex it lands in, 15 to anything in the surrounding hexes, and 5 to anything in the third ring.

Smoke makes smoke, which blows away in a few turns but until it does it provides cover for your friends / enemies.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
FASCAM would be a fair bit more useful if you had some time to prepare fields out of sight of the Horses (and if they didn't have Active Probes).

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

The Merry Marauder posted:

FASCAM would be a fair bit more useful if you had some time to prepare fields out of sight of the Horses (and if they didn't have Active Probes).

Counterpoint: anywhere you can deploy mines will probably cut my forces in half.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Cutting off avenues of approach/retreat with mines seems pretty solid even if PTN knows they are there.

That said, do mines have IFF or is it "anything in this hex = bang?" I'm assuming the latter.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Psion posted:

Cutting off avenues of approach/retreat with mines seems pretty solid even if PTN knows they are there.

That said, do mines have IFF or is it "anything in this hex = bang?" I'm assuming the latter.

There are fancy ones that sort of do but these don't appear to be anything special.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Those Zoryas look like they have the potential to be utter bastards in this Scenario. You don't have the range or mobility to reliably punish their frailty, and they're perfectly set up to chill at 20 hexes plinking away for cluster hits into vehicle crits. Combined with the Clan's general mobility advantage on the Hoverboys, and you may want to consider going on the aggressive and shrinking the playing field. The less room you give them to work with, the less they can play to their advantages.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Counterpoint: anywhere you can deploy mines will probably cut my forces in half.
That sounds like a good idea. I like the idea of dividing PTN's forces from one another.

What I'm planning: I think I'm going to keep my two tanks together on one side of the map, rather than try and split them up for more coverage. I'm planning on just moving them south to 1607 and 1608, respectively, unless there's a reason I should use the 6 mp profile this turn?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Lord Koth posted:

Well, I've been offered different artillery types, and thought I'd ask some advice on them.

Available are standard HE, Smoke, and Thunder FASCAM.

That Mars is so slow it makes a really tempting minefield target- Even if you miss, you should be able to trap it in mines way easy, any maybe get lucky and crit it out. One or two sets of bridges are also obviously nice since they limit approaches from non-Mechs really effectively.

Given you all's starting positions, grouping up on the right side of the map might be nice. There's plenty of hills and trees to help negate the clan weapon advantage, along with buildings for cover.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Okay, that's a lot of help, so I've got at least a general idea what to do with them. Probably 1 ton(5 rounds?) each of the two specialty rounds, as I shouldn't likely be having to use them too often, or much once the general fighting starts.

As for first turn, currently thinking about dropping a minefield on top of or just on the northern side of the western bridge, set for the lowest possible weight. Given most of their extremely mobile stuff is either very light and fast hovercraft and jump jet equipped battlemechs, they should trigger for basically anything entering the hex. Decision was partially made due to the western half seeming to be more open than the eastern, sightline-wise, so limiting their mobility on that flank seems a good choice given they have overall better range on their weaponry. It'll take until the next turn to arrive, but hopefully that'll still be enough time for it to land before any more than at most one or two skimmers come across. They can always choose to just cross the water too, but the climb out will slow them down, as well as get them closer to us.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I'm thinking of trundling forward and heading for cover behind the hill in the 3410 area. Using my long ranged weapons to provide some cover and protection for the long tom and support across the map from elevation. I'm a bit worried about the long range on the ARES, Donar and those Light Tanks up the middle though, so I'm wondering if cresting the hill might open me up to getting blasted all to hell. Hiding behind that hill and (behind me) might be a good spot for our artillery train as well. Since I can leverage my range from there as well as blow anything up that tries to come eat you.

EDIT: That's my two turn plan, for this turn I'm thinking of moving to 3705 with my lighter longer ranged option, and pushing forward with my two heavier tanks to 3908 and 4007

EDIT2: That way I have decent move mods on the two units that might get shot at (+2) with PTN shooting at long range (+4) and assuming he walks (+1) gives him 11's to hit with stuff that can range to me. From there I have the option of turning to the left side of the map and moving into cover to wait for support (behind the trees and hills respectively), or advancing further to engage if he pushes up the map.

hooman fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 16, 2015

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Lord Koth posted:

Okay, that's a lot of help, so I've got at least a general idea what to do with them. Probably 1 ton(5 rounds?) each of the two specialty rounds, as I shouldn't likely be having to use them too often, or much once the general fighting starts.

As for first turn, currently thinking about dropping a minefield on top of or just on the northern side of the western bridge, set for the lowest possible weight. Given most of their extremely mobile stuff is either very light and fast hovercraft and jump jet equipped battlemechs, they should trigger for basically anything entering the hex. Decision was partially made due to the western half seeming to be more open than the eastern, sightline-wise, so limiting their mobility on that flank seems a good choice given they have overall better range on their weaponry. It'll take until the next turn to arrive, but hopefully that'll still be enough time for it to land before any more than at most one or two skimmers come across. They can always choose to just cross the water too, but the climb out will slow them down, as well as get them closer to us.

That's a solid spot since even the Epona can't quite get there in time to cross the bridge before those mines land. The other option trying to hem in the slow stuff like the Zoryas and the Mars. The mars has a truely heinous amount of firepower if it can ever trundle in range, so keeping it tied behind those hills is nice. (It's so slow, on the first turn it only has enough MP to get up one hex of that hill in front of it. Takes a ton of the guesswork out of landing two turn delayed shots.

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

The problem with going right is that it means we're driving straight into their heaviest units. The Mars and Athena will start punching large holes in out tanks, and we'll have to move close enough for them to have a decent shot of hitting them. It means we'd be able to destroy them quickly, sure, but we might take too many losses to make it worth it. Those things are slow, and we'd be better off trying to make them have to come towards us then driving straight into their lines of fire.

Personally, I'd rather go left. Sure, the Hunchback is to the left, but we should be able to explode that thing before it even gets into range. The woods around the center will give us cover from the Mars and Athena's murdercannons and hopefully get them to waste some ammo on bad shots. I'm not directing the artillery, obviously, but I'd just drop it around the middle of the enemy's side of the map, like for example near 2127 (The southern edge of the central bridge) and 1930 (the far side of the center woods). This means that any forces on the right are stuck at long range unless they want to drive straight through a minefield.

That said, I'll wait until everyone else has stated their opinion before I put in my orders.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Gwaihir posted:

That's a solid spot since even the Epona can't quite get there in time to cross the bridge before those mines land. The other option trying to hem in the slow stuff like the Zoryas and the Mars. The mars has a truely heinous amount of firepower if it can ever trundle in range, so keeping it tied behind those hills is nice. (It's so slow, on the first turn it only has enough MP to get up one hex of that hill in front of it. Takes a ton of the guesswork out of landing two turn delayed shots.

Yeah, for the Mars I'm planning on just trying to land HE on top of it. But it's so slow and so far away that it's not a #1 target for me, as opposed to the stuff that will be closing on us extremely fast. Actually, could just land smoke in front of it too. No need to be too accurate, as long as it lands reasonably near my desired spot, and the Mars is too slow to really get around it.

Ba Donk a Bonk posted:

The problem with going right is that it means we're driving straight into their heaviest units. The Mars and Athena will start punching large holes in out tanks, and we'll have to move close enough for them to have a decent shot of hitting them. It means we'd be able to destroy them quickly, sure, but we might take too many losses to make it worth it. Those things are slow, and we'd be better off trying to make them have to come towards us then driving straight into their lines of fire.

Personally, I'd rather go left. Sure, the Hunchback is to the left, but we should be able to explode that thing before it even gets into range. The woods around the center will give us cover from the Mars and Athena's murdercannons and hopefully get them to waste some ammo on bad shots. I'm not directing the artillery, obviously, but I'd just drop it around the middle of the enemy's side of the map, like for example near 2127 (The southern edge of the central bridge) and 1930 (the far side of the center woods). This means that any forces on the right are stuck at long range unless they want to drive straight through a minefield.

That said, I'll wait until everyone else has stated their opinion before I put in my orders.

That's the thing though. Given the massive disparity in speed among the Clanners, combined with their glory seeking, it's very possible the fast hovers might get separated from their heavier support. Also, the Athena and Mars really do not have good lines of sight to our side of the map from where they are, due to the way the forests and that lvl. 2 hill are positioned. We also have no real reason to rush straight across the bridge and into their teeth. Sure, we'll want to cross eventually, but we're playing an RCT, not the Clans; there's no need to recklessly rush across! There's also the fact that there's a Donar on the eastern side that we really want to concentrate fire on and take down ASAP if possible.

Heck, we might want to get some stuff in the center quickly to see about shooting down that VTOL transport. If it does have Elementals, it can easily get them into the plant quickly. While I'm not entirely sure what the Capture the Plant objective entails, it'll likely become much harder if they get in there.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Who named that poor Horned Owl pilot Surat? I'd say his parents must have hated him, but clans...

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Having another look at the Map I'm agreeing more with Koth that avoiding the Ares and letting it agonisingly slowly trundle towards combat while we use our greater mobility (HAR) to head to the left side of the map and engage the clan lighter/faster elements which we really don't want sniping at us when we get into a punching match with the heavier ones.

I'm pretty leery of leaving the long Tom with it's arse hanging in the wind against that Donar on the right flank, so I'm definitely going to try and keep my less agile 4xAC5 partisan near to it, while my faster tanks roll towards the centre and try and stay out of line of sight of the heavy clan elements.

Ideally I want my partisan hiding behind the level 2 hill on the right hand side with the long tom behind it, ready to crest it and fire everything at whatever decides that the longtom looks like a tasty target. It means the tank probably won't get much done being in a defensive position, but I think it's worth it to defend our artillery piece.

Maybe this for first turn movement.

Edit: Should my partisan dump all it's explodey machine gun ammo or keep it in case of ground units assaulting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

hooman posted:

Edit: Should my partisan dump all it's explodey machine gun ammo or keep it in case of ground units assaulting?

Tanks tend to be super fragile once you breach the armor. Anything that's gonna make your machine gun ammo go up is likely to kill you anyway. You'll also want something for when the Anhur drops a squad of toads on you.

• Locked thread