Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

garland336 posted:

Drift the corner Takumi!

who won?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

What no

no just no

no

how

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

The drifting tank, of course!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Silly gif everyone knows a tiger's turret traverse is waaaay slower than that jeeze

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Shame on you for encouraging this apostasy.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle

Ardlen posted:

The drifting tank, of course!

Triple Track Train Drifting! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86PUB4u2s2A

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Any fast hover can be a real bastard to deal with. Any fast hover with good armor tends to be even more so.

The Drillson's no Saladin though. I seriously considered making the Hover Assault option a Regulator and two Saladins.

Edit: I'll put it another way: Moving at their cruising speed the Regulator and Drillson are at least 50% faster than every other player vehicle on the field.

I think every player would have picked that Hover Assault team. I remember one time when I ran a company of only Saladins. I got yelled at.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

KnoxZone posted:

I think every player would have picked that Hover Assault team. I remember one time when I ran a company of only Saladins. I got yelled at.

I once put all my battle value in infantry against a binary with a star of hellstars.

It was pretty fun.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

SIGSEGV posted:

I once put all my battle value in infantry against a binary with a star of hellstars.

It was pretty fun.

What happened? And how much infantry is that? A battalion?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Artificer posted:

What happened? And how much infantry is that? A battalion?

I won pretty handily in C-bills and BV lost but not in casualty count. Also, it's called "a carpet".

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
It's the perfect counter. Each ERPPC can only kill two men per shot!

Under the old rules, an ER PPC used to kill 15

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Any fast hover can be a real bastard to deal with. Any fast hover with good armor tends to be even more so.

The Drillson's no Saladin though. I seriously considered making the Hover Assault option a Regulator and two Saladins.

Edit: I'll put it another way: Moving at their cruising speed the Regulator and Drillson are at least 50% faster than every other player vehicle on the field.

It took me a moment to remember which one the Saladin was. Then I remembered that it's the tank that's essentially a mobile 8/12 Hovertank with the fuckoff AC/20.

It's nasty, trust me.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Sludge Factory: Tactical Update 2

The report of the Long Tom shook what Eadan Baxter hoped was just dust from the nearer surface of one of Chatham’s massive, laminate buildings. He shuddered at the thought of what that dust would’ve done to his lungs if he weren’t wearing heavy-duty environmental gear. He didn’t want to dwell at all on the horror stories he’d heard from the locals about Chatham’s acid rains eating straight through protective gear and into the men beneath.

Every building on Chatham was designed with those rains in mind: there were no windows, the doors were recessed, and every single one had been constructed of layered ceramics, metal, and glass that kept as much of the atmosphere out as possible and helped serve as an early warning system if something nasty were trying to eat its way through. Every layer was colored, so as their outsides started to melt property owners would always know when to hire a construction crew or bring in a portable kiln to re-glaze the exteriors. Some pricier buildings even had sensor mesh layered in, which would automatically warn the occupants when their walls were getting thin.

Nearly all underground constructions on Chatham had been abandoned centuries ago. The soil was simply too caustic to dig into, and any seepage was likely to be even more concentrated than the ambient murk.

Eadan’s support trailer gave a jerk as the clamps holding his little loading cart released. It was barely even a vehicle by anyone’s standards: a few electric batteries and a top speed just fast enough to be completely outclassed by a fully loaded Mobile Long Tom. It was his job to deploy, load a shell of the type his gunners specified, and lock back into his support trailer before the carriage gun needed to move again. The whole process took eighteen seconds if he were on the ball, and the loaders had to alternate to keep their gun supplied. In theory the Mobile Long Tom’s secondary gunners could load the vehicle by hand but it was a slow process. Without the support trailers, the gun could still fire once every ten seconds provided it wasn’t moving, but if it did need to roll out it wouldn’t be able to reload until it came to a complete stop. No gunner worth his salt would let themselves be left behind.

Especially not on Chatham.

(Manticore movement is inaccurate)

Indirect-Fire Artillery Targeting Phase
Mobile Long Tom fires indirectly at hex [target hex greater than 17 hexes away]!

Movement Phase
Hunter 2
- High-speed turn on concrete in hex 3803!
- - Must pass a skidding test (5 base - 1 distance traveled = 4): rolled 7, succeeds!

Manticore:
- High speed turn on concrete in hex 1603!
- - Must pass a skidding test (5 base - 1 distance traveled = 4): rolled 7, succeeds!
- High speed turn on concrete in hex 1305!
- - Must pass a skidding test (5 base + 0 distance traveled = 5): rolled 8, succeeds!

Manticore (LBX):
- High speed turn on concrete in hex 1603!
- - Must pass a skidding test (5 base - 1 distance traveled = 4): rolled 5, succeeds!

Hephaestus 1
- High-speed turn in hex 0932!
- - Must pass a sideslip test (5 base - 1 distance traveled = 4): rolled 7, succeeds!

Hephaestus 2
- High-speed turn in hex 0732!
- - Must pass a sideslip test (5 base - 1 distance traveled = 4): rolled 8, succeeds!

Odin Scout
- High-speed turn on concrete in hex 2227!
- - Must pass a skidding test (5 base + 0 distance traveled = 5): rolled 7, succeeds!
- High-speed turn on concrete in hex 2127!
- - Must pass a skidding test (5 base + 0 distance traveled = 5): rolled 8, succeeds!

Anhur
- High-speed turn in hex 1929!
- - Must pass a sideslip test (4 base - 1 distance traveled = 3): rolled 7, succeeds!
- Descends to Height 0 in hex 1225 (3 MP)!

Zorya 1
- High-speed turn on concrete in hex 2432!
- - Must pass a skidding test (5 base - 1 distance traveled = 4): rolled 5, succeeds!

Indirect-Fire Artillery Phase
No rounds land this turn!

Final Player Status:

Opposing Force Status:

Mission Objective:
Capture the Coolant Factory (0/1)

Secondary Objectives:
Protect the Mobile Army Support Hospital from detection (0/1)
Defend the Mobile Army Support Hospital (0/1)
Locate the Clan Ammunition Dump (0/1)
Destroy the Clan Ammunition Dump (0/1)

Special Rules:
Caustic, Tainted Atmosphere (TacOps p56)
Vehicles suffer an automatic Crew Stunned if armor is breached, Mechwarriors take double damage from cockpit hits.
Point Commanders
As long as they are active combatants, the Mars Assault Vehicle and Epona Pursuit Tank may designate one unit each as an Ace for two turns. New Ace units may not be designated until Ace status expires. Units which opt to remain immobile for at least two turns gain Ace status on the first turn they move. BattleMechs and VTOLs may not be Aces.

Orders Due: Midnight Saturday!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 19, 2015

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
haha yes, all the skid tests. This will be magic once people start to fail them.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
So how can players find the Ammo dump? Was that an active probe only thing? Or just by being in the same hex as it?

e: Also that Athena with dual tarcomp'd Gauss and LRM10 is in range of the right side now, so don't sit outside of cover when the shooting starts next turn! That Odin is also just begging to eat an ERPPC to the face which will OHKO it as well, haha.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 18, 2015

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Gwaihir posted:

So how can players find the Ammo dump? Was that an active probe only thing? Or just by being in the same hex as it?

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: Oh, I should also mention that there is a secondary objective the players are going to have to find and/or destroy (you can absolutely destroy it with the Long Tom even if you haven't found it). Since they don't have active probes, as long as they get any unit at all within 4 hexes they can find it whether they have line-of-sight or not.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Gwaihir posted:

e: Also that Athena with dual tarcomp'd Gauss and LRM10 is in range of the right side now, so don't sit outside of cover when the shooting starts next turn!

Hmm, should that Athena still be in 2927 because it costs 3MP to go up the hill?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

H1 hills can see over trees, right? Because it looks like that Athena just took a pretty commanding position. If it can, Ba Donk a Bonk may want to clear his Drillson out of there, posthaste. Wasp needs to be careful too.

Some other things to note, it looks like they're making a concerted push up the center, so we probably want to redirect forces nearby to shoot that Odin and/or the Hephaestus as they come in along that straight road. Currently considering jumping the Panther to either 2110 or 2312, to overwatch that entrance. First spot gives me clear sightlines, but also gives them clear sight lines back with everything pushing up that way. On the other hand, the second possibly puts me in the sights of the Athena(somewhat uncertain on this). Also, do remember that the Coolant Plant basically block all non-flying LOS on the map, so it's doing a good job of blocking the Athena's sight to anything not directly in front of it.

One final point of interest is that the Mars did not move. Obviously this means most of its weapons can't shoot but, if it can indirectly fire its 3 LRM-15s with a spotter, it can potentially hit well beyond the eastern bridge on our side so watch that range.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Uhhh, PTN, those weren't the movements I sent in my email. But I guess I'm not too exposed, so it's not that big of a deal.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Lord Koth posted:

H1 hills can see over trees, right? Because it looks like that Athena just took a pretty commanding position. If it can, Ba Donk a Bonk may want to clear his Drillson out of there, posthaste. Wasp needs to be careful too.

Some other things to note, it looks like they're making a concerted push up the center, so we probably want to redirect forces nearby to shoot that Odin and/or the Hephaestus as they come in along that straight road. Currently considering jumping the Panther to either 2110 or 2312, to overwatch that entrance. First spot gives me clear sightlines, but also gives them clear sight lines back with everything pushing up that way. On the other hand, the second possibly puts me in the sights of the Athena(somewhat uncertain on this). Also, do remember that the Coolant Plant basically block all non-flying LOS on the map, so it's doing a good job of blocking the Athena's sight to anything not directly in front of it.

One final point of interest is that the Mars did not move. Obviously this means most of its weapons can't shoot but, if it can indirectly fire its 3 LRM-15s with a spotter, it can potentially hit well beyond the eastern bridge on our side so watch that range.

I don't thiiink that anything on the clan side can spot for it past the hill though.

Also, while moving the panther in to position to pot the Odin, you want to walk if at all possible to make your shots better. There's nothing really in range of you (I think), and jumping 4 is just going to ruin your aim to no benefit.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Friar John posted:

Uhhh, PTN, those weren't the movements I sent in my email. But I guess I'm not too exposed, so it's not that big of a deal.

Whoops, I'll get that fixed. I thought I'd deleted your orders by mistake, someone sent me orders labeled for the Battle Cobra and when I cleaned out my inbox I deleted those by accident.

Edit: Time to roll more skidding tests!

The Merry Marauder posted:

Hmm, should that Athena still be in 2927 because it costs 3MP to go up the hill?

I forgot it was only a 3/5. :blush:

Edit: Fixed. And trees are Height 2, not Height 1, so a level 1 hill can't see over them.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 18, 2015

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

OK, now taking advice for what to do with the Manticores! Should I burst out of the forest and take some pot shots at that one vehicle moving straight up the middle?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's surrounded by height 5 buildings, you can't see it.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Friar John posted:

OK, now taking advice for what to do with the Manticores! Should I burst out of the forest and take some pot shots at that one vehicle moving straight up the middle?

You haven't the movement to get past 1207/1407(8). On the up, this will put you in a good spot to stand and melt it if it continues on next turn.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Gwaihir posted:

I don't thiiink that anything on the clan side can spot for it past the hill though.

Also, while moving the panther in to position to pot the Odin, you want to walk if at all possible to make your shots better. There's nothing really in range of you (I think), and jumping 4 is just going to ruin your aim to no benefit.

Well, was trying to get into a clump of trees, which will require running/jumping regardless of which one I pick, but suppose I could do otherwise. Also, staying head-on to that corridor down the center will result in a battery of pulse fire coming at you if the two Hephaestus tanks come up the middle too, given they have range 12 for their MPLs. They ALSO have TAG, so that's of some concern given that at the very least the Athena is in range to indirectly fire.

edit: Idle question, what happens if a Thunder FASCAM minefield lands on top of someone?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

"Eadan’s support trailer gave a jerk as the clamps holding his little loading cart." I think there's something wrong with that one.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Lord Koth posted:

Well, was trying to get into a clump of trees, which will require running/jumping regardless of which one I pick, but suppose I could do otherwise. Also, staying head-on to that corridor down the center will result in a battery of pulse fire coming at you if the two Hephaestus tanks come up the middle too, given they have range 12 for their MPLs. They ALSO have TAG, so that's of some concern given that at the very least the Athena is in range to indirectly fire.

edit: Idle question, what happens if a Thunder FASCAM minefield lands on top of someone?

Sure, but the enemy has already moved- You know where they are for this coming turn's shooting so you can position totally safely, that's the biggest advantage the players have. I don't thiiiink the TAG helps out here, since all those LRMs are going to be using Artemis ammo and not semi-guided TAG homing. Maybe a tag lets something spot with less of a penalty? I don't remember those rules exactly.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Lord Koth posted:

The Hephaestus tanks aren't Aces, and aren't in position to shoot you through the building.

The Athena doesn't have any weapons that can be fired indirectly.

I move after you do so if you don't like the way I'm positioning you can move to break my line of sight. Remember, the enemy movement is my movement for turn 2. You haven't submitted your movement for turn 2 yet.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Remember, the enemy movement is my movement for turn 2. You haven't submitted your movement for turn 2 yet.
That helps make things make sense for me! I wasn't quite sure what players having initiative actually meant.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
Hmmm well if you run over to 2110 you'll be hitting on 4 base + 4 enemy move +2 move + 2 range. 12s. And get shot by MPLs from the Odin on like ..... 10s or so. Probably not worth it.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
PTN

What's the downside of skidding? If I make a last point of movement turn on a road hex and skid off it isn't that just a free point of movement or does something else happen?

Basically I want to make a 30m powerslide in a tank to put it in a better position.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Kial posted:

Hmmm well if you run over to 2110 you'll be hitting on 4 base + 4 enemy move +2 move + 2 range. 12s. And get shot by MPLs from the Odin on like ..... 10s or so. Probably not worth it.

I think he could actually walk to 2208, have los, and be out of range of the Odin, but I'm not sure if I counted that correctly.

hooman posted:

PTN

What's the downside of skidding? If I make a last point of movement turn on a road hex and skid off it isn't that just a free point of movement or does something else happen?

Basically I want to make a 30m powerslide in a tank to put it in a better position.

The downside is for things like hovercraft- They're not allowed in trees. If you skid in to trees, then you're flat out stuck and screwed.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

hooman posted:

PTN

Normal tanks risk damaging their motive systems (up to and including immobilizing themselves) on a skid, everything takes damage if it hits anything else, and there's a cap on how far you can skid (based on how far your last movement was). Even if nothing goes wrong sometimes you don't want that extra hex of movement. Positioning is important for tanks, so skidding past something and putting them out of your front arc can ruin your entire attack.

Edit: I should mention also: Hovertanks and VTOLs don't risk damage when they sideslip unless they actually collide with something. It's a different mechanic but it triggers whenever they move fast, no matter the terrain.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 19, 2015

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

PoptartsNinja posted:

Normal tanks risk damaging their motive systems (up to and including immobilizing themselves) on a skid, everything takes damage if it hits anything else, and there's a cap on how far you can skid (based on how far your last movement was). Even if nothing goes wrong sometimes you don't want that extra hex of movement. Positioning is important for tanks, so skidding past something and putting them out of your front arc can ruin your entire attack.

Thanks a lot, I am rethinking my planned skid. :)

Sair
May 11, 2007

So what are the major exports of this planet that wants to eat you alive?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

There's a coolant plant we're fighting over, right?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

hooman posted:

Thanks a lot, I am rethinking my planned skid. :)

Aww man but we could've had an entire mission of nothing but Tokyo drifts :(

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's a different mechanic but it triggers whenever they move fast, no matter the terrain.
What conditions are required to check for a skid? do you have to adjust your facing afterwards and then attempt to move after that?

Basically I'm wondering if a tank can declare a Charge (probably not) to a target they can't quite reach (probably not) and hope to *fail* the skid check to get the extra hex of movement needed to sideswipe some 'mech legs. Maybe that only happens in the Tanks & Wrestling crossover mission.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Endomorphic posted:

What conditions are required to check for a skid? do you have to adjust your facing afterwards and then attempt to move after that?

Basically I'm wondering if a tank can declare a Charge (probably not) to a target they can't quite reach (probably not) and hope to *fail* the skid check to get the extra hex of movement needed to sideswipe some 'mech legs. Maybe that only happens in the Tanks & Wrestling crossover mission.

No, that's absolutely a thing. One of the more bullshit tactics in the game is to take a fleet of hovercraft against 'mechs, and go bowling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Endomorphic posted:

You don't have to declare the charge to skid into people, so you can go in guns blazing and give it a try. Problem is that you'll probably get shot to pieces at point blank range either way you roll.

• Locked thread