Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, LB-X cluster gets a total of -3 to hit aircraft iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Losanda posted:

Fixed the LRM/LBX mixup.

It doesn't have LRMs either.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

Doesn't it have an LRM-10 on the front?

Losanda
Oct 19, 2002

Norman!

PoptartsNinja posted:

:wave:

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
You heard it here, folks - PTN has bid away the use of his LRMs.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Oh, whoops. They're such a non-factor compared to the ER Mediums and Gauss Rifles I forgot they existed.

Other LRMs I always forget: the ones on the Warhawk Prime.

Losanda
Oct 19, 2002

Norman!
Unguided, not turreted long range missiles are so Battletech.
:psyduck:

Even more in space fights.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Oh, whoops. They're such a non-factor compared to the ER Mediums and Gauss Rifles I forgot they existed.

Other LRMs I always forget: the ones on the Warhawk Prime.

Sarna says that that LRM-10 is intended for long range combat. It has a bit less range than the ERPPCs. This is one of those cases where I wouldn't spit on a few machine guns instead in case there's another infantry maniac like me with a small box of cork based infantry markers.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Losanda posted:

Unguided, not turreted long range missiles are so Battletech.
:psyduck:

Even more in space fights.

LRMs are guided, they're just prone to oversteering and susceptible to the high levels of handwaved electronic warfare going on. The only unguided missiles are MRMs, rocket launchers and mech mortars, all of which are primarily noted for being inexpensive.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 25, 2015

Losanda
Oct 19, 2002

Norman!

dis astranagant posted:

LRMs are guided, they're just prone to oversteering and susceptible to the high levels of handwaved electronic warfare going on. The only unguided missiles are MRMs, rocket launchers and mech mortars, all of which are primarily noted for being inexpensive.

I remember them being unguided and the targeting system can estimate a moving object, but once the missile has left the building, it is not guided, can not change direction, switch target or do anything else an actual guided missile could do. I mean what does "vaguely guided" mean? Either the missile is able to follow a radar guidance, a heat source or something optical, or it is not, right?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I remember from the readouts.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
It's Battletech guided, which means it's guided in a fashion which defies all logic. Just roll your dice and don't think about it.

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

Losanda posted:

I mean what does "vaguely guided" mean? Either the missile is able to follow a radar guidance, a heat source or something optical, or it is not, right?
The tracking code was written by an intern. The unit test cases are hard coded in to pass but beyond that the sprinkling of typos in variable names and the occasional botched trigonometric approximation mean your missile will "guide" sometimes but not always.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Losanda posted:

I remember them being unguided and the targeting system can estimate a moving object, but once the missile has left the building, it is not guided, can not change direction, switch target or do anything else an actual guided missile could do. I mean what does "vaguely guided" mean? Either the missile is able to follow a radar guidance, a heat source or something optical, or it is not, right?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I remember from the readouts.

LRMs are specifically complicated 2 stage rockets that would hardly even get in the same ballpark as the target without active guidance. The setting handwaves an off camera ewar arms race that keeps missiles at roughly standard accuracy levels. Listen-kill LRMs were basically an attempt at bringing the arms race into the spotlight briefly by giving advantage to a new guidance package until a means to defeat it was found.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

dis astranagant posted:

Listen-kill LRMs were basically an attempt at bringing the arms race into the spotlight briefly by giving advantage to a new guidance package until a means to defeat it was found.

And when things are getting so bad that having your missiles track the sound made by a fusion engine is superior to optical targeting, you know there's some heavy jamming going on.

Psion posted:

It's Battletech guided, which means it's guided in a fashion which defies all logic. Just roll your dice and don't think about it.

This is the best answer though.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 25, 2015

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

So, considering just walking forwards into one of the hexes between 2210-2212, and firing my PPC at the Hunchback which, if I recall correctly, is technically height 2. It doesn't look like anything else has angle on me due to the complex, but wondering if I'm missing anything. Another low odds shot on an 11, but there's nothing else that seems critical for him to do, and the position seems relatively safe.

Unless someone has a place they really want another minefield dropped, probably switching over to other rounds this turn.

edit: Call it 2210, because forward of that might put only a single forest between the Panther and the Athena.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 25, 2015

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Don't forget that the Hunchback is standing behind a hill and has the benefits of partial cover.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Oh, I'm aware there's a decent chance the shot will go into the hill even if it "hits." But maneuvering for even a low-odds shot seems better than not shooting at all, if I can do it without getting particularly out of position or exposing myself to disproportionate return fire. Like I could move to shoot at one of the Zoryas or the Athena too, but don't feel like tangling with either of those at long range, due to them having a better chance to hit. And as far as I can tell all other sightlines to the Panther, except possibly the Donar, seem to be obscured from around there, and that's the general position I want him staying in for now anyways.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Lord Koth posted:

Oh, I'm aware there's a decent chance the shot will go into the hill even if it "hits." But maneuvering for even a low-odds shot seems better than not shooting at all, if I can do it without getting particularly out of position or exposing myself to disproportionate return fire. Like I could move to shoot at one of the Zoryas or the Athena too, but don't feel like tangling with either of those at long range, due to them having a better chance to hit. And as far as I can tell all other sightlines to the Panther, except possibly the Donar, seem to be obscured from around there, and that's the general position I want him staying in for now anyways.

welllllllllllllll, I think you're wasting a shot, tbh. Hitting on 11 and then having height in the way? What's the point? Position yourself to get good shots next turn, don't commit to a location where you almost certainly won't hit and might take return shots for nothing.

I mean if your math is right and you're shooting on 11s, what are they shooting at you on?

I know, I'd be impatient to shoot all the mans too. I certainly was my first few turns digging that Centurion out of a stupid swampy corner of nowhere, let me tell you what.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Psion posted:

I mean if your math is right and you're shooting on 11s, what are they shooting at you on?

Probably infinity, given the Hunchback's range. It's pretty much relying on the ER Mediums for long range firepower.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Eh, it's more like I'm slightly tweaking my movement to take an opportunistic potshot, while also staying in a position that lets me quickly access most sightlines on our side in a single move. I'd probably want to be somewhere around there anyways, even if I wasn't taking a shot at the Hunchback.

As for the other targets: The Athena would be shooting back on the same number as me(11), but would be shooting two Gauss Rifles and an LRM-10 in response to my single IS ER PPC. I could engage the Zorya on a 10, and get shot back on the same(or a 9 if it uses cluster ammo)with it again engaging with two weapons to my one. Though in that case if I did hit I'd be into its internals with the one shot.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Ok, just sent in my orders:

quote:

Movement:
Partisan
facing change to 0806(1MP)
move to 0806 (1MP)
facing change to 0707 (1MP)
move to 0707 (1MP)
facing change to 0606 (1MP)

Tokugawa
move to 0907 (4MP)
facing change to 0807 (1MP)
move to 0807 (1MP)

Hunter
facing change to 1007 (1MP)
move to 1007 (3MP)

Shooting:
Partisan
Fire all four (4) AC5 at the Hunchback in 0524

Tokugawa
Fire the LB10-X (slug) at the Hunchback in 0524

Hunter
Fire the LRM 15 and the ER Large Laser at the Hunchback in 0524

Don't take any of those shots if to-hit numbers are 13 or higher
It's only potshots at 11s and 12s, but hey, maybe :battletech: happens.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Lots of stuff can go wrong with vehicles so popping off a few risky shots isn't necessarily a bad thing. Just think of it as maximising combat value.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Waiting on orders from one player. I'm going to go buy groceries, which means you've got until I get back to get them in.

Losanda
Oct 19, 2002

Norman!
Sorry for the delay, guys, I have a rough week...

Davion Assault Orders

Challenger - Move to 3010, facing 2911. Hold fire.

Wasp - Run to 3511, facing 3611. Hold fire.

I will move out next turn. Some help on putting the Athena out of business would be highly appreciated!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Ah, Hunchback IIC, you are worth your BV in distraction alone.

Edit: Ok, so, you know how over the past few turns you guys have had very few targets to shoot at?

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 25, 2015

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

PoptartsNinja posted:

Ah, Hunchback IIC, you are worth your BV in distraction alone.

Let's be fair, that is probably going to be his primary contribution to the fight.

(which isn't to say that "but wait, wouldn't you rather take long-range shots at this terrifying Hunchback conveniently making an appearance from behind low cover than throw LBX at my waify Epona" is not a valid strategy)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Sludge Factory: Tactical Update 4

“—think maybe if we pick off one of their `Mechs the tanks will run?”

“Captain.”

“I wouldn’t count on it. These Clan monsters don’t care about anyone’s casualties.”

“Captain,” Chu-i Sato Tsubaki repeated softly. Her knuckles were white as she clutched her Panther’s right joystick, thumb hovering over the primary target interlock circuit. Her shot against the distant Hunchback had been spoiled by a flurry of activity that lit up her targeting computer like a Coordinator’s Day tree. Coordinator-Prince’s Day tree, she mentally corrected.

“What is it, Chu-i?”

Captain Ferraro didn’t use her name, which she appreciated. Whether he hadn’t learned it or was afraid he’d butcher the traditional honorifics she didn’t much care, the Davion officers only cared about rank and her record. It was always a relief to be treated like a professional rather than a disgusting oddity, and the First Draconis Suns RCT alone had more female DCMS officers than she’d ever seen in one place before. At numerous times prior, the young Chu-i found herself hoping that Janneke Kurita-Davion’s “Grand Experiment” would succeed. If they managed to take Chatham away from the Clans, the status of women officers in the DCMS would likely be significantly elevated.

“I believe,” she swallowed, Tai-i Harcourt had always said the quickest way to keep a Davion happy was humor. Her mind whirled as she attempted to find a humorous way to deliver her bad news. “I believe the Clan commander must have gotten bored.”

Indirect-Fire Artillery Targeting Phase
Mobile Long Tom fires indirectly at hex [target hex greater than 17 hexes away]!

Movement Phase
Partisan 2
- High-speed turn on concrete in hex 1205!
- - Must pass a skidding test (5 base - 1 distance traveled = 4): rolled 7, succeeds!

Regulator
- High-speed turn in hex 2108!
- - Must pass a sideslip test (5 base + 0 distance traveled = 5): rolled 5, succeeds!

Drillson
- High-speed turn in hex 2108!
- - Must pass a sideslip test (5 base + 1 distance traveled = 6): rolled 10, succeeds!

Indirect-Fire Artillery Phase
- In a previous turn Mobile Long Tom fires ???
- No shells land this turn!

Combat Phase
Partisan 1
- Fires Autocannon/5 at Hunchback IIC (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 12): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Autocannon/5 at Hunchback IIC (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 12): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires Autocannon/5 at Hunchback IIC (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 12): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires Autocannon/5 at Hunchback IIC (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 12): rolled 7, miss!

Tokugawa 1
- Fires LB 10-X Autocannon (Slug) at Hunchback IIC (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 12): rolled 10, miss!

Hunter 1
- Fires ER Large Laser at Hunchback IIC (4 base + 4 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 11): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires LRM-15 at Hunchback IIC (4 base + 4 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 11): rolled 3, miss!

PNT 10K2 Panther
- Fires ER PPC at Hunchback IIC (4 base + 4 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 11): rolled 7, miss!
- - Gains 16 heat, sinks 24!

Zorya 1
- Fires LB 5-X Autocannon (Cluster) at Manticore Heavy Tank (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods - 1 cluster = 12): rolled 11, miss!

Next Turn’s Movement Phase
Odin
- High-speed turn on concrete in hex 2120!
- - Must pass a skidding test (5 base - 1 distance traveled = 4): rolled 4, succeeds!

Zorya 2
- High-speed turn on concrete in hex 2126!
- - Must pass a skidding test (5 base - 1 distance traveled = 4): rolled 5, succeeds!

Anhur
- Ascends to Height 5 in hex 1728 (2 MP)!
- High-speed turn in hex 1728!
- - Must pass a sideslip test (5 base - 1 distance traveled = 4): rolled 7, succeeds!

Donar
- Ascends to Height 6 in hex 2528 (2 mp)!

Hephaestus 1
- High-speed turn in hex 2323!
- - Must pass a sideslip test (5 base - 1 distance traveled = 4): rolled 5, succeeds!
- High-speed turn in hex 2920!
- - Must pass a sideslip test (5 base + 1 distance traveled = 6): rolled 6, succeeds!
- Deploys Sylph Battle Armor at Height 0 in hex 2915!

Hephaestus 2
- High-speed turn in hex 2821!
- - Must pass a sideslip test (5 base + 0 distance traveled = 5): rolled 3, fails!
- Sideslips into hex 3020! Movement continues!
- Deploys Sylph Battle Armor at Height 1 in hex 3014!

Epona Pursuit Tank
- Designates Sylph 1 as Ace!

Mars Assault Vehicle
- Designates Sylph 2 as Ace!

Final Player Status:

Opposing Force Status:

Mission Objective:
Capture the Coolant Factory (0/1)

Secondary Objectives:
Protect the Mobile Army Support Hospital from detection (0/1)
Defend the Mobile Army Support Hospital (0/1)
Locate the Clan Ammunition Dump (0/1)
Destroy the Clan Ammunition Dump (0/1)

Special Rules:
Caustic, Tainted Atmosphere (TacOps p56)
Vehicles suffer an automatic Crew Stunned if armor is breached, Mechwarriors take double damage from cockpit hits.
Point Commanders
As long as they are active combatants, the Mars Assault Vehicle and Epona Pursuit Tank may designate one unit each as an Ace for two turns. New Ace units may not be designated until Ace status expires. Units which opt to remain immobile for at least two turns gain Ace status on the first turn they move. BattleMechs and VTOLs may not be Aces.

Orders Due: Midnight Saturday!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 26, 2015

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Oh, expletive deleted. Sylphs!

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

...Actually, why is half our force deployed to face down the two mechs, which are relatively slow compared to a significant portion of the Clan force? Everything else seems to be coming up the middle or eastern side of the map, and we've got 7 tanks covering the western side.

edit: Also, Losanda's Challenger and hooman's Hunter(?) need to back the gently caress up immediately. You're within the battle armor's movement range, and you really, really do not want to be there.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 26, 2015

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Lord Koth posted:

Actually, why is half our force deployed.

I would've swept in wherever most of you weren't no matter what. Clan hovers. :shrug:

You still outnumber me, take advantage of that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Why no Long Tom shot? Did you guys forget to fire it last turn?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Why no Long Tom shot? Did you guys forget to fire it last turn?

Two shots landed last turn, because the shot location targeted on that turn was within 17 hexes.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

ACE SLYPHS....

Wait they were just deployed, as in they won't get to move until next turn I'm pretty sure, unless ptn is an utter monster or i'm wrong.

Fire that long tom within 17 hexes, RAIN FIRE DOWN ON THEM. Also if they use their vtol movements does that mean flak applies against them.

SHELL THEEEEEEM

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

AtomikKrab posted:

ACE SLYPHS....

Wait they were just deployed, as in they won't get to move until next turn I'm pretty sure, unless ptn is an utter monster or i'm wrong.

I think it's like: we are in Turn 4. The non-Ace OpFor just moved at the beginning of the turn: the players will now make their moves, and then the ACE units will move.

Unless the act of deploying uses up their movement for this turn, which might be the case, I forget how infantry deployment works exactly.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
SHOOT. THE SYLPHS.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Leperflesh posted:

I think it's like: we are in Turn 4. The non-Ace OpFor just moved at the beginning of the turn: the players will now make their moves, and then the ACE units will move.

Unless the act of deploying uses up their movement for this turn, which might be the case, I forget how infantry deployment works exactly.

I think it does, it might be the best time to HIT THEM actually.

Also back up the long tom, back it up if you can, get it more room. You need to get it clear of their range until their ace status runs out.... and turn those hovers back around and do a rescue.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
Does the LBX bonus apply to shooting at the Sylphs?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
So exactly how hosed are tanks with battle armor crawling over them? Because from the reactions in the thread so far it sounds like even more hosed than Mechs, which set a fairly high bar for "you are about to regret your recent decisions".

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Voyager I posted:

So exactly how hosed are tanks with battle armor crawling over them? Because from the reactions in the thread so far it sounds like even more hosed than Mechs, which set a fairly high bar for "you are about to regret your recent decisions".

Ranging from Very to Eat your Needler?

Basically, Sylphs are lightly armored but fast elementals. The most important thing about Elementals is that You Don't Want Them Near You. Swarm attacks are nasty on regular 'mechs, I can only imagine it's worse if you're in a tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

So I havn't followed this thread for a while and I thought pffft tank game, no thanks. Now I get to see everyone get torn apart by goddamn slyphs. I'm alright with this.

• Locked thread