Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kial
Jul 23, 2006
I agree, fun and exciting moves are going to be favoured by the dice gods. One less ACE to deal with would be huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

hooman posted:

Shooting
Tokugawa
If the Epona is in line of sight and range of weapons and not destroyed, fire all weapons (cluster) Epona is in arc of at Epona.
If the Sylphs are in line of sight and range of weapons and not destroyed, fire any remaining weapons (cluster) Sylphs are in arc of at Sylphs.
If not fired fire LBX-10 (Cluster) at Horned Owl if not destroyed otherwise at one of the infantry units.

I've been meaning to say this for a while but your shooting orders are really hard to parse. I don't mind the list format and I do know what you mean, but using actual sentences usually makes it easier for me to follow what's going on. :shobon:

Example:

Tokugawa
Fire all weapons (cluster) at the the Epona unless it's destroyed, out of range, or not in my firing arc.
Fire any remaining weapons at the Sylphs as a secondary target (FYI: this means you'll fire any weapons that do not fulfill the above conditions at the Sylphs, not that you'll immediately switch targets if your first shot takes out the Epona. Any weapons that can attack the Epona are committed to the Epona before any shots are fired.)
Fire all weapons at the Horned Owl if my other targets are already destroyed.
Fire all weapons at the infantry if my other targets are destroyed.

Edit: Also I'm not updating today but will instead be converting the thread to an LP of Gundam Side Story 0079 Rise from the Ashes for the Sega Dreamcast. April fools hahahaha. :geno:

... Wait a second.

W-what's this?!

:aaaaa:

I might do this once I finish Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries, and if I can find an SD Capture Card on the cheap. And if I can remember how to actually use the Dreamcast's terrible controller.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 1, 2015

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
Haha man I'm the loser that bought a dream cast just to play Side Story: the clunkiest of Gundam Games.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Can hooman conditional his movement orders to keep the epona trapped if ba donk a donk still moves to 2804? :ohdear:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I accept conditionals for shooting.

Conditionals for driving depend on the circumstances and I don't usually accept them. Someone being in Europe / Asia / Australia is usually a good enough excuse for me since time zones make it a pain to coordinate under the best conditions

Edit: Welp. Guess the dice just really don't want that unit moving around anymore.

Double Edit: I just realized that brings the total number of vehicles completely hosed over by that one point of Sylphs to what, five?

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 1, 2015

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: Welp. Guess the dice just really don't want that unit moving around anymore.

Double Edit: I just realized that brings the total number of vehicles completely hosed over by that one point of Sylphs to what, five?

Dammit, those Sylphs look like they're bucking for OpFor MVP by now... :f5: :ohdear: :munch:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Ahaha, this is glorious. Go go go, you plucky bastards! :)

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
That's the thing about ultra-mobile battle armor. It's a nightmare, especially for vehicles. :)

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Especially if they always win initiative and dodge Gauss slugs.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

AtomikKrab posted:

Can hooman conditional his movement orders to keep the epona trapped if ba donk a donk still moves to 2804? :ohdear:

F5ing like hell to see goon RCT keystone kops it up in a circle around the epona, only to leave it an opening and escape unscathed :v:

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
As stupid as that would be, I actually want it to happen to see if Krab strokes out.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

The Merry Marauder posted:

As stupid as that would be, I actually want it to happen to see if Krab strokes out.

I'm just picturing one of those scooby doo hallway mixup scenes with goontanks chasing sylphs and eponas back and forth before running in to each other and getting knocked out.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Yakety Sax pretty much sums up the Hells Horses tactics for this scenario. The fact that it's working is hilarious and terrifying.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Sludge Factory: Tactical Update 12

The Regulator lurched as the hammer-blow of a Gauss Rifle slug struck it in the side. Interior armor plates bulged and deformed but didn’t give way and—thankfully—didn’t shatter and shower the crew compartment with shrapnel. The turret hummed as Captain Ferraro’s gunner corrected her aim. The long barrel of the Regulator’s Gauss Rifle pointed skyward at an empty place Ferraro had ordered. An instant later that empty green-tinted sky was filled with the hull of the strange, vulture-like Clan attack helicopter as it began drifting into a turn. It hung there, slow and vulnerable, for a long instant as its nose swung in line with the Regulator.

Ferraro’s gunner and the Clanner fired in the same instant, but Captain Ferraro didn’t get to see his crew’s shot cave in the combat copter’s cockpit. The white-hot lance of the Clanner’s laser sliced through the front of the Regulator like a scalpel, ruining the front skirt as it left a gaping two-meter hole in the front of the crew compartment. A wave of acrid smog mixed with the smoke of burning insulation seemed to devour the oxygen in the crew compartment like a hungry banth.

If Ferraro hadn’t been fortunate enough to see the shot that killed the Donar, he was unfortunate enough to see its broken airframe fall to earth. The explosion wasn’t anything spectacular, but the spinning coaxial rotors tore themselves apart the instant they struck the ground, peppering the Regulator—and Ferraro himself—with gravel and centimeter-long shards of aerospace-grade ferro-aluminum.

Indirect-Fire Artillery Targeting Phase
- Mobile Long Tom fires!

Movement Phase

Indirect-Fire Artillery Phase
- In the previous turn Mobile Long Tom fired Long Tom Artillery at hex 3623 (4 base + 7 indirect fire = 11): rolled 9, Margin of Failure 2!
- - Shell scatters into hex 3524!
- - Shell lands in hex 3525!

Combat Phase
ACE Sylph Point
- Fires Micro Pulse Laser at Tokugawa (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 6): rolled 6, hit Left Side (22/33 armor remaining)! CfMSD!
- Fires Micro Pulse Laser at Tokugawa (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 6): rolled 12, hit Turret (32/36 armor remaining)!
- Fires Micro Pulse Laser at Tokugawa (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 6): rolled 6, hit Left Side (19/33 armor remaining)!
- Fires Micro Pulse Laser at Tokugawa (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 6): rolled 9, hit Left Side (16/33 armor remaining)! TAC!

ACE Epona
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Mobile Long Tom (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 5): rolled 7, hit Front (9/16 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Mobile Long Tom (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 5): rolled 11, hit Front (2/16 armor remaining)! CfMSD!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Mobile Long Tom (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 5): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Mobile Long Tom (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 5): rolled 7, hit Right Side (9/16 armor remaining)! CfMSD!
- Fires Streak SRM-4 at Mobile Long Tom (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 7): rolled 8, 4 missiles hit Front (0/16 armor remaining Armor Breached!), Front (4/6 structure remaining (Crit!)), Front (2/6 structure remaining (CfMSD! Crit!)), Front (0/6 structure remaining (Vehicle Destroyed!))!

Manticore
- Turret twists to threaten right arc!
- Fires LRM-10 at Athena (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 7, 6 missiles hit Front (33/38 armor remaining), Front (32/38 armor remaining)!
- Fires SRM-6 at Athena (4 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement = 8): rolled 4, miss!

Manticore (LBX)
- Fires LB 10-X Autocannon (Cluster) at Donar (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 4 enemy movement - 3 cluster = 8): rolled 8, 6 submunitions hit Right Side (3/14 armor remaining), Right Side (2/14 armor remaining), Right Side (1/14 armor remaining), Rotors (1/2 armor remaining), Right Side (0/14 armor remaining (Armor Breached!)), Right Side (2/3 structure remaining (Crit!)!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at Donar (4 base + 4 range + 1 movement + 4 enemy movement = 13): fails to lock-on!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Anhur (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 5): target not in front firing arc!

Challenger X
- Fires LB 10-X Autocannon (Cluster) at Donar (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 4 enemy movement - 3 cluster = 7): rolled 4, miss (I also rolled a 2 on the cluster hit table for this attack :v: )!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Donar (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 4 enemy movement = 10): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires LRM-10 at Donar (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 4 enemy movement = 10): rolled 5, miss!

Wasp
- Holds fire!
- Gains 5 heat, sinks 10!

Hunter 1
- Fires ER Large Laser at Anhur (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 9): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Artemis LRM-15 at Horned Owl (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 minimum range = 10): rolled 11, 3 missiles hit Center Torso (10/13 armor remaining)!

Tokugawa 2
- Turret twists to threaten Rear Arc!
- Fires LB 10-X Autocannon (Cluster) at Epona (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement - 1 cluster = 5): rolled 6, 6 clusters hit Rear (7/18 armor remaining (TAC!), Rear (6/18 armor remaining), Rear (5/18 armor remaining (CfMSD)), Rear (4/18 armor remaining), Rear (3/18 armor remaining), Turret (1/17 armor remaining)!
- Fires Artemis SRM-6 at Epona (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 7, miss!

Partisan 2
- Fires Autocannon/5 at Epona (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 7, hit Front (16/21 armor remaining)!
- Fires Autocannon/5 at Epona (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 11, hit Left Side (15/20 armor remaining)! CfMSD!
- Fires Autocannon/5 at Epona (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 6, hit Front (11/21 armor remaining)!
- Fires Autocannon/5 at Epona (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 5, miss!

Regulator
- Turret rotates to threaten Front Arc!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Donar (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 4 enemy movement = 9): rolled 11, hit Front (0/16 armor, 0/3 structure remaining)! Vehicle destroyed!

Drillson
- Primary target too close!
- No line of Sight to secondary target!

PNT 10K2 Panther
- Fires ER PPC at Epona (4 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement = 7): rolled 7, hit Left Side (5/20 armor remaining)! CfMSD!
- Fires SRM-4 at Epona (4 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement = 7): rolled 10, 3 missiles hit Left Side (3/20 armor remaining (CfMSD!)), Left Side (1/20 armor remaining (CfMSD!)), Left Side (0/20 armor, 4/5 structure remaining (Crit!))!
- Fires SRM-4 at Epona (4 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement = 7): rolled 7, 3 missiles hit Left Side (2/5 structure remaining (CfMSD!)), Left Side (0/5 structure remaining (Vehicle destroyed!)), Left Side!

Mobile Long Tom
- Holds fire!

Zorya 1
- Fires LB 5-X Autocannon (Cluster) at Wasp (4 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement - 1 cluster = 6): rolled 7, 4 submunitions hit Left Torso (5/6 armor remaining), Left Arm (3/4 armor remaining (TAC!)), Right Leg (4/5 armor remaining), Left Leg (2/4 structure remaining (Crit!))!

Mars Assault Vehicle
- Fires ER Large Laser at Manticore (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement - 4 immobile target = 6): rolled 8, hit Rear (16/26 armor remaining)!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Manticore (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement - 4 immobile target = 6): rolled 8, hit Rear (1/26 armor remaining)!

Anhur
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Manticore (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 stabilizer hit - 4 immobile target = 4): rolled 8, hit Left Side (27/34 armor remaining)! CfMSD!

Athena Combat Vehicle
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Regulator (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 light woods = 9): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Regulator (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 light woods = 9): rolled 9, hit Front (14/30 armor remaining)!
- Fires LRM-10 at Regulator (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 light woods = 9): rolled 11, 6 missiles hit Front (9/30 armor remaining), Left Side (15/16 armor remaining)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Regulator (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 light woods = 9): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Regulator (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 light woods = 9): rolled 3, miss!

Donar
- Fires ER Large Laser at Regulator (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 7): rolled 7, hit Front (0/30 armor, 4/5 structure remaining)! CfMSD! Armor Breached! Crit!

Horned Owl
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Manticore (LBX) (4 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods - 2 Pulse Laser = 8): Rolled 12, hit Front (31/42 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Manticore (LBX) (4 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods - 2 Pulse Laser = 8): Rolled 10, hit Right Side (27/33 armor remaining)! CfMSD!
- Gains 20 heat, sinks 20!

End Phase
Tokugawa
- Chance for Motive System Damage! Major damage sustained!
- - Vehicle immobilized!
- Through-armor critical chance in Left Side!
- - Engine hit! Vehicle immobilized!

Wasp
- Through-armor critical chance in Left Arm! No critical hit sustained!
- Critical chance in Left Leg! No critical hit sustained!

Manticore
- Chance for Motive System Damage! No effect!

Regulator
- Armor breached! Crew stunned!
- Chance for Motive System Damage! Heavy damage sustained!
- - Movement speed halved, +3 penalty to driving!
- Critical chance in Front!
- - Commander hit! Crew stunned, +1 penalty to driving, +1 penalty to-hit!

Manticore (LBX)
- Chance for Motive System Damage! Moderate damage sustained!
- - -1 Mp, +2 penalty to driving!

Player Status:

Opposing Force Status:

Mission Objective:
Capture the Coolant Factory (0/1)

Secondary Objectives:
Protect the Mobile Army Support Hospital from detection (0/1)
Defend the Mobile Army Support Hospital (0/1)
Locate the Clan Ammunition Dump (0/1)
Destroy the Clan Ammunition Dump (0/1)

Special Rules:
Caustic, Tainted Atmosphere (TacOps p56)
Vehicles suffer an automatic Crew Stunned if armor is breached, Mechwarriors take double damage from cockpit hits.
Point Commanders
As long as they are active combatants, the Mars Assault Vehicle and Epona Pursuit Tank may designate one unit each as an Ace for two turns. New Ace units may not be designated until Ace status expires. Units which opt to remain immobile for at least two turns gain Ace status on the first turn they move. BattleMechs and VTOLs may not be Aces.

Orders Due: Midnight Saturday!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Long Tom nooooooo

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
That... was pretty good I think?

One Long Tom and mobility-killed Tokugawa in exchange for the Epona and a pristine Donar.

Now the main threats are just the Athena and Mars coming up. The Anhur is pretty much mission-killed, the Sylphs are probably going to die next turn. Not sure how big a threat that Horned Owl is though.

GoonRCT seems to have quite a lot of their strength left behind. Sure they're pretty battered movement-wise, but the enemy is coming to them.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I'm afraid that they are gonna need that mobility to not die though, which is important. Ugh. Vehicles are so drat squishy sometimes huh?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Goddamn, but that Chally can only seem to hit friendlies. Shame about the Long Tom.

I'm sure the Wasp pilot is relieved/surprised to be alive.

I wonder if the Sylphs have been extra-successful because they're rolling individually as opposed to the Cluster Hits table for the point.

Hey, uh, any chance that Mars skidded? As hilarious a visual as 100 tons of death plowing up sod would be?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Welp, there goes the Long Tom, so no more arty support for you guys. That's gonna make dealing with the Mars just a bit harder, though if your luck with shelling it holds up, it wouldn't have mattered much anyway.

Still the Epona and the Donar are gone, which is a good thing. The Sylphs are still dangerous though, as is the Athena. Many of your tanks are beat up or immobilized, so there's that to keep in mind as well.

I think your position looks a bit better than it's been, at least to my inexperienced eye.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Artificer posted:

Long Tom nooooooo

Both super fast assholes are out of the picture now though.

Also laughing really hard at how serious a threat an LBX-5 is to the wasp.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

The Merry Marauder posted:

I wonder if the Sylphs have been extra-successful because they're rolling individually as opposed to the Cluster Hits table for the point.

Probably, but I use them so infrequently when I did my refresher I misread 'individual weapon groups' as 'individual weapons'. Just like I forgot about the inherent +1 tohit penalty for shooting at them. I'm just treating this like practice for [REDACTED].

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
That went a lot better than expected.

The Tokugawa may be a turret now but that's ok since the Drillson didn't lose any mobility.

Those Sylphs are still threatening all of us so we should probably stick together and keep contingency orders to shoot the pants off them if they swarm us.

PTN I think you forgot to update the Horned Owl's status to have damage to the CT.

Also sorry for hard to parse orders :(

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Awww shooot, long tom noooo.

gently caress lord koth could have rolled it forward a hex and been safe.

I missed that :negative: its all my fault.

uhm

PTN will you allow the players to attempt to shoot out the bridge from beneath the mars as it tries to pass?

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

there can be no peace until everyone is safe

PoptartsNinja posted:

Probably, but I use them so infrequently when I did my refresher I misread 'individual weapon groups' as 'individual weapons'. Just like I forgot about the inherent +1 tohit penalty for shooting at them. I'm just treating this like practice for [REDACTED].

You know, the other day I read [REDACTED] on another site (I think it was an NSA joke) and the very first thing to pop up in my mind was this thread's [REDACTED] instead of the more generic one.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Man, did that Long Tom hit anything? All that potential and a boatload of BV, and not much to show for it.

Still, when it comes to number of vehicles left it seems like the Clans have sustained a lot of losses. Whoever wins this thing is going to have like one operable tank left. Comedy option just the Wasp is left standing and declares a victory for Mechs.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
The Long Tom mobility-killed the Odin and one of the Zoryas, which probably saved the field hospital from an early grave. The Panther is also still kicking, so it wasn't a complete loss.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Scintilla posted:

The Long Tom mobility-killed the Odin and one of the Zoryas, which probably saved the field hospital from an early grave. The Panther is also still kicking, so it wasn't a complete loss.

Indeed. The Panther also was the one to avenge the Long Tom (By doing 20+ points of damage to one location on the Epona with mainly cluster weapons!) so we can call that one a trade. Besides, if the last shot from the Long Tom hits, we could have our first multiple turn posthumous kill...

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

AJ_Impy posted:

Indeed. The Panther also was the one to avenge the Long Tom (By doing 20+ points of damage to one location on the Epona with mainly cluster weapons!) so we can call that one a trade. Besides, if the last shot from the Long Tom hits, we could have our first multiple turn posthumous kill...

That's be something to see...

Still, I think the Long Tom did do quite a bit this mission. Denying the middle bridge factory bottleneck with mines to the enemy might pay off, now that the tanks in the west now only have the Athena, the wounded Anhur (which should die pretty drat soon), and the distant remaining Zorya to to shoot at now. Plus the clutch mobility kill on the Odin and the Zorya threatening the MASH makes it a winner in my book.

Now if only it had denied the right side to the Mars or was able to land an accurate hit on it before it got destroyed...

The Panther's hits coming up all on the Left side this turn, with a bunch of cluster shots to kill the Epona makes the choice even more worth it. Seriously, what were the chances of that even happening?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

In actual HE fire, the Long Tom's had terrible luck this game. Other than the direct fire shot, every single one that was even vaguely on target has scattered in literally the worst direction it could have. Like this last turn the shot scattered 2 hexes directly away from the Mars - basically anything else would have resulted in at least a minor hit. Or the one I dropped in the middle of the Mars, Athena and Zorya a number of turns ago, which proceeded to scatter in the one direction there were no enemy units in. It has not been terribly amusing just how unlucky it has been with that scatter.

The mines and smoke worked fine, though the prior was somewhat mitigated by a large chunk of our force deciding to hide behind the one, which severely limited their own mobility.

Hell, even dying to the Epona was pretty bad luck. It is getting shot from the side, but basically all the hits went into the front of it. Had they actually been distributed roughly evenly, it probably would have survived.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Lord Koth posted:

Or the one I dropped in the middle of the Mars, Athena and Zorya a number of turns ago, which proceeded to scatter in the one direction there were no enemy units in.

That is not true. It scattered directly towards the Zorya and was one hex shy of doing damage. You were so close I expected you to fire another round because you positioned that one beautifully.

Remember, the odds of hitting on an 11 are about 8.3%, while the odds of rolling a 7 or higher is about 45-50%. That means without a spotter helping you target the same hex over a few turns you're more likely to hit by aiming about 3-4 hexes away and hoping you're lucky with the scatter (for some reason I tend to roll 1s on scatters and scatter towards the top of the mapsheet, but even that can't be counted on. Dice are Dice).

Odds are, when you fire directly at a target you're going to miss nine shots in ten, and if you miss by more than 2 you're guaranteed to not do damage. And even so, the way I roll scatter you had a much higher chance of hitting the Mars than you would under standard rules (standard rules rolls once for scatter, then you scatter X hexes in a straight line in that direction. I roll scatter for every hex (adjusted so that you're always scattering the same general direction) so you had an additional chance of scattering back into a hex that would've hurt the Mars anyway).

People shouldn't be on your case for "not using the Long Tom well." You did fine, but on-board artillery is extremely luck-dependent and its power ramps up exponentially the more of them you have (if every player had opted to bring a Long Tom this mission would've been a hilarious montage of my tanks all dying on turns 2-5) and while there are things you can do to mitigate your luck in the end you kept the Odin out of the early fight for 5+ turns, crippled it and another tank, and in general were worth your BV in how much I had to play around you.

Lord Koth posted:

Hell, even dying to the Epona was pretty bad luck. It is getting shot from the side, but basically all the hits went into the front of it. Had they actually been distributed roughly evenly, it probably would have survived.

It was in your front damage arc (remember, the damage arcs are different from the shooting arcs). It was shooting you in the front. If it'd been shooting you in the side all of those Front hits would've been Side hits instead (with the same result). The Mobile Long Tom doesn't have a turret to soak an occasional hit with, and without one there's only about a 22% chance of taking a hit in another location. :shobon:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 2, 2015

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

You did great with the long tom, thats about what artillery does, especially standard artillery.

Now let me tell you about this custom double barreled long tom with everything in a single chassis instead of a train of trucks with enough armor to shrug off what the epona did :getin:

LegendairyBovine
Oct 6, 2014
I think PTN said he was considering giving the players the Paladin artillery vehicle. That would have been fun to see.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Having a superheavy vee cruising around the battlefield would have been great, but it might have been overkill. The Paladin is a 32nd Century design with Heavy Ferro Fibrous, CASE and backup weapons that are good for more than just chewing up infantry. I think something like that is better saved for later when the tech levels have crept up a bit.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
What about the Destrier? That is one good-looking articulated tank.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Scintilla posted:

Having a superheavy vee cruising around the battlefield would have been great, but it might have been overkill. The Paladin is a 32nd Century design with Heavy Ferro Fibrous, CASE and backup weapons that are good for more than just chewing up infantry. I think something like that is better saved for later when the tech levels have crept up a bit.

Eh, Heavy FF is the only thing there that hasn't been confirmed to exist in the Inner Sphere yet and it would be pretty trivial to drop a gun or 2 and roll with it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The reason I ultimately rejected the Paladin was for an obvious reason:

Why would anyone have taken anything else?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

The reason I ultimately rejected the Paladin was for an obvious reason:

Why would anyone have taken anything else?

Because artillery is confusing to use for a new player and you'd pair it with an SHD-2D or 2D2 just to pump the bv of that option.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Paladin would've been given the Mars treatment. You would've gotten the Paladin and nothing else (it doesn't need anything, it's got like 3 Mars / 6 Vedettes worth of armor).

As the Clan player I would've been forced to counter with something like 40 Zoryas because artillery's effectiveness goes up exponentially the more of it you have and my only counter would've been numbers (the only way I'd deploy a Donar is if the players had at least one tool fast enough / with enough range that they'd be theoretically capable of dealing with it). Six Paladins could virtually blanket half of a mapsheet with shells for 30 turns.

Edit: And in case people are wondering, I did have my typical BV advantage in this mission. I'm still losing (thanks Mr. Krabs!) :v:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 3, 2015

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

ORDERS!

Movement

Partisan
Flank Speed
Turn to 3101
Advance to 3101
Turn to 3102

Tokugawa
No movement!

--------------------
Shooting

Partisan
If the Sylphs move into line of sight and aren't destroyed fire all weapons that they are in range of at them.
Otherwise if the Horned owl isn't destroyed fire the AC5's at it.
Otherwise fire the AC5's at the infantry in 1605

Tokugawa
If the Sylphs move into line of sight and aren't destroyed fire all weapons (cluster) at them that they are in range of.
Otherwise if the Horned owl isn't destroyed fire the LB10x (cluster) at it.
Otherwise fire the LB10X (cluster) at the infantry in 1605

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Hrmm, any suggestions on movement and shooting for the Manticores? I'm thinking of finishing off that VTOL near the LB-X, but I'm not sure if it's better to wipe it out or go after the Zorya or the Horned Owl.

• Locked thread