Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Of course!

They're called "Normal Tanks." You didn't specify functioning submarines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
This reminds me of the old joke that everything is airdroppable, once.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Some tanks have floatation hulls and can take part in amphibious landings.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
For those of you lucky enough to live on worlds with Oceans Quikscell is proud to announce our new Amphibious* Vidette!

But don't take our word for it, our CEO says it best: "Someone make something up to sell this piece of poo poo!"

*Disclaimer: Quikscell Corporation is not responsible for water damage to vehicle or vehicle occupants

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Have UMU's been invented yet? It might be cool to have an underwater battle. Or maybe not, depending on what the rules say.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
An underwater battle would be almost identical to a space battle except half the weapons wouldn't work and everything would be happening at half speed.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Well, no ACs, no PPCs, special torpedoes needed for launchers (if clan), both special launchers and torpedoes needed for IS, quarter range for all lasers, it gets a bit dull in my opinion.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
And isn't there a rule that the second you get an armor breach you basically lose the part because myomer locks up when it gets wet?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yup. Myomer is electrified so the moment a component (arms, legs, torso) gets flooded it stops working. The same thing happens in space though which is what I was talking about.

Edit: Also, I expect the players and/or Atomic Krab are going to hate me this turn.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: Also, I expect the players and/or Atomic Krab are going to hate me this turn.

:allears:

Something we liked just died and I don't think it was the Challenger.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Mars split its fire and killed the Challenger and Drillson / immobilised the Drillson with its side-mounted SRMs.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

PoptartsNinja posted:

I hope you used one weird trick.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Khans hate them: this Clan tank crew has learned one weird trick to force one-on-one honor duels with Inner Sphere opponents!

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Score TACs on every shot! Try this one weird trick, discovered by a Clanner, to always score Engine hits on your opponent! Spheroid tankers hate him/her!

Edit: Ninja'd by the PoptartsNinja himself.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Wednesdays and Sundays are the best days :allears:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Sludge Factory: Tactical Update 16

Sato Tsubaki rocked forward in her command couch, as though grinding her Panther’s foot pedals into the floor might coax a little extra speed out of the sluggish machine. She couldn’t fault the refitted design for much: the upgrade had been like a dream unto itself, increasing the Panther’s range and eliminating its heat problems at the same time. She’d felt practically invincible when she’d first piloted it. After facing the Clans for the first time, she now felt like a slug. The Panther just couldn’t get where it needed to be quickly enough.

The young officer hissed in displeasure: if it wasn’t the machine it was her own inexperience. She was torn between her duty to defend the field hospital and the need to focus on the battle at hand. The Challenger exploded in a flash, the massive assault tank would’ve been a match for at least two or three Panthers and it was just gone in the blink of an eye. As the ranking officer on the field, that crew’s deaths were on her hands. It didn’t matter that it was a mostly Davion crew, they were fighting the same enemy for the same reasons.

Her Panther came around, PPC raised threateningly just as the enemy Assault tank rolled back out of sight. The crew was skilled and quick to respond, they’d simply reversed their massive machine up the hillside and put a small rock formation and the bulk of the burning challenger between themselves and any other attackers.

“Shinde kudasai,” she breathed, too quietly for her helmet microphones to broadcast. The Clan tank crew had bought themselves a reprieve, nothing more. She wouldn’t let her friends and allies go unavenged.

Movement Phase
Wasp
- Jumps with actuator damage, must pass a piloting roll or fall (5 base + 1 actuator damage = 6): rolled 5, fails!
- - Wasp falls in hex 2620
- - - Suffers 2 damage in the fall to Right Leg (2/4 structure remaining)! Crit!

Drillson
- Must pass a sideslip test in hex 3014 (5 base - 1 distance traveled = 4): rolled 5, succeeds!
- Must pass a sideslip test in hex 3014 (5 base - 1 distance traveled = 4): rolled 3, fails!
- - Margin of Failure 1, sideslips into hex 2913!
- Must pass a sideslip test in hex 2913 (5 base - 1 distance traveled = 4): rolled 9, succeeds!
- Must pass a sideslip test in hex 2911 (5 base + 0 distance traveled = 5): rolled 8, succeeds!
- Must pass a sideslip test in hex 3408 (5 base + 2 distance traveled = 7): rolled 8, succeeds!

ACE Mars Assault Vehicle
- Fires weapons at Challenger X with 50/50 LOS!
- - Challenger X is firing at Mars Assault Vehicle: Line of Sight granted!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Challenger X (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 6): rolled 7, hit Front (0/57 armor, 6/8 structure remaining)! Armor Breached! Crit!
- Fires ER Large Laser at Challenger X (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 6): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires LB 10-X Autocannon (Slug) at Challenger X (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 6): rolled 6, hit Front (0/8 structure remaining)! Vehicle Destroyed!
- Fires Artemis LRM-15 at Challenger X (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 6): rolled 9, 9 missiles hit Front (CfMSD), Turret (46/57 armor remaining (TAC!))!
- Fires Artemis LRM-15 at Challenger X (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 6): rolled 6, 9 missiles hit Right Side (39/57 armor remaining (CfMSD!)), Turret (42/57 armor remaining)!
- Fires Artemis LRM-15 at Challenger X (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 6): rolled 2, miss!

Manticore (LBX)
- Fires LB 10-X Autocannon (Slug) at Horned Owl (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement = 8): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at Horned Owl (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement = 8): rolled 5, Fails to Lock-On!

Challenger X
- Fires LRM-10 at Mars Assault Vehicle (4 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 sensors hit + 3 minimum range = 8): rolled 5, 6 missiles hit Right Side (38/43 armor remaining (CfMSD)), Front (29/50 armor remaining)!
- Fires LB 10-X Autocannon (Slug) at Mars (4 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 sensors hit = 5): rolled 11, hit Turret (24/47 armor remaining)!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Mars (4 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 sensors hit = 5): rolled 5, hit Turret (9/47 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Mars (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 sensors hit - 2 pulse laser = 5): rolled 10, hit Front (23/50 armor remaining)!
- Fires Streak SRM-2 at Building Hex 3603 (4 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 secondary target - 4 immobile target = 5): rolled 3, Fails to Lock-On!

Wasp
- Holds fire!
- Gains 5 heat, sinks 10!

Hunter 1
- Fires ER Large Laser at Horned Owl (4 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement = 7): rolled 8, hit Left Leg (3/11 armor remaining)!
- Fires Artemis LRM-15 at Horned Owl (4 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement = 7): rolled 12, 9 missiles hit Right Torso (5/10 armor remaining), Center Torso (5/13 armor remaining)!

Tokugawa 2
- Holds fire!

Partisan 2
- No Line of Sight to target!

Drillson
- No Line of Sight to target!

PNT 10K2 Panther
- Fires weapons at Mars with 50/50 LOS!
- - Mars is not firing at Panther: Line of Sight declined!
- Secondary target conditions not met (Mars was not destroyed)!
- Attempts to fire ER PPC at Building Hex 3603 anyway (I know what you meant) but the target is not in the right arm arc!
- Attempts to fire SRM-4 at Building Hex 3603 but the target is not in the front arc!
- Attempts to fire SRM-4 at Building Hex 3603 but the target is not in the front arc!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 24!

Zorya 1
- Fires LB 5-X Autocannon (Cluster) at Manticore (LBX) (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement - 1 cluster = 5): rolled 8, 3 submunitions hit Front (27/43 armor remaining), Right Side (11/34 armor remaining (CfMSD!)), Turret (28/42 armor remaining)!

Athena Combat Vehicle
- Holds fire!

Horned Owl
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Hunter (4 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 Pulse Laser = 5): Rolled 8, hit Front (17/27 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Hunter (4 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 Pulse Laser = 5): Rolled 2, miss!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Hunter (4 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 Pulse Laser = 5): Rolled 3, miss!
- Gains 24 heat, sinks 20!

Sylph Point
- Fires Micro Pulse Laser at MASH unit (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 3): rolled 8, hit (20/50 durability remaining)!

Elementals
- Hold fire!

End Phase
Mars
- Chance for Motive System Damage! Minor damage sustained +1 penalty to driving tests!

Manticore (LBX)
- Chance for Motive System Damage! Moderate damage sustained +2 penalty to driving tests, MP reduced!

Wasp
- Critical chance in Right Leg! No critical hit sustained!

Player Status:

Opposing Force Status:

Mission Objective:
Capture the Coolant Factory (0/1)

Secondary Objectives:
Protect the Mobile Army Support Hospital from detection (Failed)
Defend the Mobile Army Support Hospital (0/1)
Locate the Clan Ammunition Dump (1/1)
Destroy the Clan Ammunition Dump (0/1)

Special Rules:
Caustic, Tainted Atmosphere (TacOps p56)
Vehicles suffer an automatic Crew Stunned if armor is breached, Mechwarriors take double damage from cockpit hits.
Point Commanders
As long as they are active combatants, the Mars Assault Vehicle and Epona Pursuit Tank may designate one unit each as an Ace for two turns. New Ace units may not be designated until Ace status expires. Units which opt to remain immobile for at least two turns gain Ace status on the first turn they move. BattleMechs and VTOLs may not be Aces.

Orders Due: Midnight Saturday!

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Oh, man, I wish the Drillson had gone south around the hill. Goddammit.

My Wasp orders were technically followed to the letter - "try very hard not to fall and kill myself."

And I missed a loving building on a 5. Hahaha.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
At least you hit the Mars? :shobon:

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

PoptartsNinja posted:

At least you hit the Mars? :shobon:

That's the spirit that binds the DSMS together.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
...I really wanted to hit that Horned Owl with something. Ugh.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Friar John posted:

...I really wanted to hit that Horned Owl with something. Ugh.

You'll get `em next time. :shobon:

And just think how satisfying it'll be when you do!

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

PoptartsNinja posted:

You'll get `em next time. :shobon:

And just think how satisfying it'll be when you do!
We're running out of next times :v:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Impressive dice by the Challenger to connect both its big guns with the same location, but not the location it was trying to hit.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Was trying for the turret ring, donchaknow.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Welp, the Challenger exploded like everyone expected it to. However, bad positioning by the Drillson, Partisan, and possibly the Panther means the Mars gets to live (and more importantly, fire) again this turn. Enough guns on the thing means you guys should be able to end it this turn, hopefully without it doing too much more damage. At least the Challenger got some good hits on the Mars this turn before it got exploded. The lone Sylph is still plinking away at the MASH, but the Mars should still be the priority, since the Star Commander can't do enough damage fast enough to destroy it, unless that Micro Pulse Bomb it has does a ton of damage.

Looks like the Wasp wanted to move in for backshots on the Athena, but it fell down, so that'll be delayed for a bit. Good thing it's leg didn't break off in that fall.

Horned Owl still pulling Clan bullshit with maneuverability there. The Manticore there is pretty much a sitting duck, though it still has a good sting depending on who it decides to shoot at and if PTN's dice cooperate. Also, I think you forgot to place the Hunter on the map there, PTN, unless he's hidden under the Manticore.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Good job throwing this one to the Clans and dooming Draconis/Federation cooperation, guys. Looks like the forces of bigotry are vindicated once more by the empirical failure of mixed-race formations and female officers. Guess we can all look forward to Sandoval and the Warlords laughing at Tetsuhara's folly and the strengthened hand of the Black Dragon, leading to Hanse's murder and the end to any hope of resisting the Clans along the whole Eastern front. Should've rolled higher numbers! :colbert:

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Don't mean to pick on players, but I'm curious about the Drillson's movements. This seemed like a good opportunity to get a backshot or at least a flanking hit on the Mars by going around the hill to the south.

On the plus side this might be a good opportunity for the players to consolidate and plan an attack together.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

GhostStalker posted:

Also, I think you forgot to place the Hunter on the map there, PTN, unless he's hidden under the Manticore.

Heavier units get layers that put them 'above' lighter units (because they're bigger). It's there.

Scintilla posted:

Don't mean to pick on players, but I'm curious about the Drillson's movements. This seemed like a good opportunity to get a backshot or at least a flanking hit on the Mars by going around the hill to the south.

It would've had low move mods if it'd tried and I would have just turned around and murdered it. The Drillson's choice was the right one.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 15, 2015

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I don't hate you ptn, that was the right move,

I'm just extremely ashamed at the drillson player, that is a TERRIBLE spot to end the turn in as a hover.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 15, 2015

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

PoptartsNinja posted:

Of course!

They're called "Normal Tanks." You didn't specify functioning submarines.

While true, I did feel like I implied it. Allow me to rephrase: functioning submarines.

the reason I ask is because stuff like LAMs exist. I feel like someone somewhere in BT would've at least made some weird-rear end experimental submarine tank. Or more likely a submarine mech, and I guess that's what a UMU is for?

(e: for anyone else who might have to - I had to look up UMU on Sarna. It means underwater maneuvering unit.)

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 15, 2015

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

PoptartsNinja posted:

It would've had low move mods if it'd tried and I would have just turned around and murdered it. The Drillson's choice was the right one.

I helped :unsmith:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Lies, the drillson could have gotten a +3 move mod against the mars.

Actually ptn, doesn't the mars have to use flank speed to move where it did, 2 points to turn 1 to move. (it is notspending its entire turn on a road so it loses that bonus.)

It backed up I see now.

CLAN TANK SPRITES ARE TERRIBLE BY THE WAY.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 15, 2015

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

e: yup

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

AtomikKrab posted:

I'm just extremely ashamed at the drillson player

Yeah, no. Enough with this. You're not the players, they aren't you. Let them play and stop commenting on how badly they're doing.

The Drillson made a good call under the circumstances because they preemptively countered my own counter-play.

If I hadn't had the cover available to me they would've forced me to either commit to an all-or-nothing frontal attack that would've been almost guaranteed to kill the Mars, or they would've forced me to turn my rear armor at them to buy an extra turn and reduce the number of weapons I could've fired (probably resulting in the Challenger surviving).

If they had flanked me I would've turned around and murdered the Drillson outright or crippled it with the LB 10-X. The Mars has enough rear armor that I'm not really worried about taking a turn of fire to the rear arc to kill something else.

AtomikKrab posted:

Literally a box with guns stapled to it.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 15, 2015

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

AtomikKrab posted:

You know I drew the Mars sprite, right? I'm actually quite proud of it. :smith:

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
It looks quite good and it's easy to tell where the front is (Hint: guns, lots of guns).

AtomikKrab posted:

Actually it's you, who is being a terrible rear end. Can you just chill out in this thread. If you want to shitpost, please go to the MWO or SC thread. Thanks in advance. This is a thread about being bad at BT and the dice hating the players. Not about doing the right thing 24/7. Because doing the right thing and logic ends up with poo poo like that Clan Assault with 4 x ER PPCs. Whatever that Mech was.

So could you please have fun in this thread. Or just review your posts before hitting Reply?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yeah, no. Enough with this. You're not the players, they aren't you. Let them play and stop commenting on how badly they're doing.

The Drillson made a good call under the circumstances because they preemptively countered my own counter-play.

If I hadn't had the cover available to me they would've forced me to either commit to an all-or-nothing frontal attack that would've been almost guaranteed to kill the Mars, or they would've forced me to turn my rear armor at them to buy an extra turn and reduce the number of weapons I could've fired (probably resulting in the Challenger surviving).

If they had flanked me I would've turned around and murdered the Drillson outright or crippled it with the LB 10-X. The Mars has enough rear armor that I'm not really worried about taking a turn of fire to the rear arc to kill something else.

I am just going to shut up for at least a couple of game rounds (as in entire matches.) and cool off.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

AtomikKrab posted:

Ptn, I am ashamed at the hex he chose to end in, not moving up there, as things stand the drillson is facing a line of trees and will have to spend points moving around rather than being in 3506 and having a clear movement forward this turn.

Jesus christ Krab shut up.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Scintilla posted:

You know I drew the Mars sprite, right? I'm actually quite proud of it. :smith:

I am sorry, I should have said clan tank DESIGN AESTHETIC is terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

AtomikKrab posted:

Ptn, I am ashamed at the hex he chose to end in, not moving up there, as things stand the drillson is facing a line of trees and will have to spend points moving around rather than being in 3506 and having a clear movement forward this turn.

His original movement was disrupted by the sideslip. Everything after the red line is me adjusting the player's planned movement to compensate for the sideslip. I try to put them in their stated ending hex if they have enough MP to get there and at the orientation they would've ended on if there's any MP left over. There was enough MP to reach the destination hex but not enough MP for the final turn.

If he hadn't had enough MP his movement would've instead been offset and he would have ended in 3408 with the orientation he would've had if he hadn't sideslipped.

The Drillson's movement is entirely "I'm adjusting for the sideslip to try to get the tank a as much of chance for a shot on where I'm planning to move the Mars as possible." It didn't pan out but I don't do sight-lines until after everything's moved.

You are literally going out of your way to make a player feel bad for a standardized judgement call I made to account for an accident the player had no control over.

• Locked thread