Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I was pretty sure the Wasp was going to die there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Toujours de l'audace.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010
Ordering a jump on a bum leg is always the weirdest feeling for me. "It's the right move, but exploding in the movement phase is just so undignified." Then again, I saw a pristine 'Mech blow its own leg off running on a low-gravity map, so there's always worse fates.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
The Wasp is a champ simply for lasting as long as it has.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

GenericServices posted:

Ordering a jump on a bum leg is always the weirdest feeling for me. "It's the right move, but exploding in the movement phase is just so undignified." Then again, I saw a pristine 'Mech blow its own leg off running on a low-gravity map, so there's always worse fates.

Never forget Sommerset, where one of Goonlance managed to snap their own leg off just by trying to back down a hill.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Which required a fail, then a 2, then a 12.

Fortune makes fools of us all.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
After that happened, I pretty much decided: Ehh, no more backing down hills.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Hills are one of the most intimidating things in the 31st century.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Ultimatum proved that hills are unstoppable harbingers of death that can soak up the best firepower the Clans have to offer without flinching.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Well, my favorite team is winning, but the players are doing their best and have done some spectacular things so far, and I'm glad to have seen it all happen.

If you do end up losing, I expect to see some glorious bickering tearing apart the new alliance, gloriously. In a glorious way.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
I'm really rooting for the players because as much as the alliance is fragile and backstabby at the top, the frontline grunts and laypeople who make up the two factions are working together really well. All of a sudden two nations who were enemies are now friends and the storytelling in that is fantastic. PTN's done a really good job writing soldiers from different backgrounds not only willing to fight but to sacrifice for each other in order to win out against a much greater threat (i.e. Clans). It'd break my heart to see that kind of battlefield camraderie lose out against rear end in a top hat clanners.

Lenisto
Nov 1, 2012
Same here. I voted for playing as the Clans, but once the battle starts it's impossible not to side with the players. Especially with the fiction adding that little extra touch.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Sludge Factory: Tactical Update 18

The Hunter’s engine groaned and grumbled as the turretless vehicle spun in place trying to bring its distant target into the gunner’s sights. Although the tank’s weapons were myomer controlled and had a fair amount of traverse, long-distance shots with the ER Large Laser couldn’t take advantage of the targeting & tracking systems built into the vehicle’s LRMs. In short, the light tank still needed to be fairly well aligned with its target. The soft, goopy mud at the edge of the lake didn’t help. Although it was nowhere near deep enough to bog down any of the assault team’s vehicles—there was a layer of chemically-hardened clay a few centimeters down—it was still slick and even the relatively lightweight hunter tended to slide slowly down the embankment towards the lake itself. Every few seconds Basira had her driver gun the engine and back them up another half-meter or so. They were relatively safe for the time being but the constant maneuvering played hell with her gunner’s targeting.

The ER Large Laser flashed for less than the blink of an eye, leaving a bright green afterimage seared on Basira’s retinas for a few moments. There was a puff of smoke in the distance, and she nearly congratulated her gunner for his probable hit when the man cursed bitterly. A miss—or at best a tree had intercepted the shot. It happened, but it was always disheartening to miss a stationary target, even one as well-camouflaged as the hidden bunker Subaltern Rybar had reported.

Movement Phase
Wasp
- Jumps to hex 2117, must pass a piloting test or fall (5 base + 1 actuator damage = 6): rolled 9, succeeds!

ACE Mars Assault Vehicle
- Turret twists to threaten Left Arc!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Partisan (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 light woods = 8): rolled 8, hit Front (7/22 armor remaining)!
- Fires ER Large Laser at Partisan (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 light woods = 8): rolled 3, hit miss!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at Partisan (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 light woods = 10): rolled 11, 6 missiles hit Front (5/22 armor remaining), Right Side (16/18 armor remaining (CfMSD)), Front (3/22 armor remaining), Turret (20/22 armor remaining), Front (1/22 armor remaining), Front (0/22 armor, 7/8 structure remaining (Crit! Armor Breached!))!

ACE Sylph Point
- Fires Micro Pulse Laser at Partisan (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 4): rolled 4, hit Front (4/8 structure remaining)! Crit!

Manticore (LBX)
- Fires LB 10-X Autocannon (Slug) at Ammo Dump (4 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 light woods = 10): rolled 8, miss!

Wasp
- Holds fire!
- Gains 4 heat, sinks 10!

Hunter 1
- Fires ER Large Laser at Ammo Dump (4 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 light woods = 10): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires LRM-15 at Ammo Dump (4 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 light woods = 10): rolled 3, miss!

Tokugawa 2
- Fires Artemis SRM-6 at Infantry 2008 (4 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement = 8): rolled 10, 3 missiles hit! 6 troopers killed!

Partisan 2
- Fires Autocannon/5 at Mars Assault Vehicle (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 light woods = 9): rolled 10, Turret (4/47 armor remaining)! TAC!
- Fires Autocannon/5 at Mars Assault Vehicle (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 light woods = 9): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires Autocannon/5 at Mars Assault Vehicle (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 light woods = 9): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Autocannon/5 at Mars Assault Vehicle (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 light woods = 9): rolled 7, miss!

PNT 10K2 Panther
- Fires ER PPC at Mars Assault Vehicle (4 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement = 7): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires SRM-4 at Mars Assault Vehicle (4 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement = 7): rolled 7, 3 missiles hit Left Side (41/43 armor remaining), Left Side (39/43 armor remaining (CfMSD!)), Turret (2/47 armor remaining (TAC!))!
- Fires SRM-4 at Mars Assault Vehicle (4 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement = 7): rolled 5, miss!
- Gains 25 heat, sinks 24!

Athena Combat Vehicle
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Building Hex 2707 (4 base+ 4 range + 0 movement - 4 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 3): rolled 4, hit (33/90 CF remaining)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Building Hex 2707 (4 base+ 4 range + 0 movement - 4 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 3): rolled 9, hit (26/90 CF remaining)!

Horned Owl
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Wasp (4 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement - 2 Pulse Laser = 9): Rolled 4, miss!
- Gains 16 heat, sinks 20!

Elementals
- Hold fire!

End Phase
Partisan
- Chance for motive system damage! Minor damage +1 modifier to driving rolls!
- Critical chance in Front! No critical damage sustained!
- Armor breached! Crew stunned 1 turn!
- Critical chance in Front! Sensors hit!

Mars Assault Vehicle
- Through-armor critical chance in Turret! ER Large Laser malfunctions!
- Chance for motive system damage! Moderate damage -1 Crusing MP, +2 modifier to driving rolls!
- Through-armor critical chance in Turret! No critical damage sustained!

Physical Combat Phase:
Wasp
- Kicks Athena Combat Vehicle (5 base - 2 kick + 1 actuator damage = 4): rolled 3, fails!

End Phase:
Wasp
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (5 base + 0 missed kick + 1 actuator damage = 6): rolled 6, succeeds!

Player Status:

Opposing Force Status:

Mission Objective:
Capture the Coolant Factory (0/1)

Secondary Objectives:
Protect the Mobile Army Support Hospital from detection (Failed)
Defend the Mobile Army Support Hospital (0/1)
Locate the Clan Ammunition Dump (1/1)
Destroy the Clan Ammunition Dump (0/1)

Special Rules:
Caustic, Tainted Atmosphere (TacOps p56)
Vehicles suffer an automatic Crew Stunned if armor is breached, Mechwarriors take double damage from cockpit hits.
Point Commanders
As long as they are active combatants, the Mars Assault Vehicle and Epona Pursuit Tank may designate one unit each as an Ace for two turns. New Ace units may not be designated until Ace status expires. Units which opt to remain immobile for at least two turns gain Ace status on the first turn they move. BattleMechs and VTOLs may not be Aces.

Orders Due: Midnight Saturday!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 22, 2015

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Auuughghhhghghgh

The Clanners have developed kick-deflecting armor, everyone! I blame Steiner Rules.

e: So, about those crit chances on the Mars...?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

The Merry Marauder posted:

Auuughghhhghghgh

The Clanners have developed kick-deflecting armor, everyone! I blame Steiner Rules.

I was really hoping the Manticore and Hunter would roll out to cover you. It was a good attempt.

You lucky so-and-so. :v:

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

PoptartsNinja posted:

Mars Assault Vehicle
- Through-armor critical chance in Turret!
- Chance for motive system damage!
- Through-armor critical chance in Turret!

Don't keep us in suspense! :f5:

Edit: Looks like it's a malfunctioning ER Large Laser and movement reduction.

Scintilla fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 22, 2015

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Copy-pasta error. Fixed.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
We've pulled one of its nastier teeth and slowed it to slightly faster than a bunker, and just one more hit to that turret would be enough to stun it and render it virtually helpless. Not much frontal armor left either. I'm still rooting for the clans here, but you're damned close to that decisive blow.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh man, that Partisan crew stunned is a killer. Might as well have exploded.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I think it can still retreat out of LOS, but with an open front it won't last much longer.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's got plenty of armor on the back. :shrug:

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

PoptartsNinja posted:

I was really hoping the Manticore and Hunter would roll out to cover you. It was a good attempt.

You lucky so-and-so. :v:

While I'm not averse to supporting the Wasp in principle, doing so against the Athena, which on its own has twice the armament of our two tanks combined is something that I'm, shall we say, not entirely sanguine about :v:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's not going to kill itself.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Yeah, needless to say, I'm not sticking around to get pulsed to death by the Peregrine. Good luck.

Scintilla posted:

I think it can still retreat out of LOS, but with an open front it won't last much longer.

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's got plenty of armor on the back. :shrug:

Yeah, the ol' "make like an Archer" option seems the way to go.

(it's facing left)

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's not going to kill itself.

Sadly not, unless it's possible to push vehicles?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
What are the rules if a mech shares a hex with a vehicle? Can the vehicle shoot it?

I.e. if the Wasp keeps trying to tapdance on the Athena can it do anything about it?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

No, but as I said, the Peregrine/Horned Owl would blast me to vapor.

I'd hoped it would find something better and more tank-y to kill so I could run around punting the Athena wherever it went, or at least until I missed and rammed my spindly ankles through my head.

So it goes.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Z the IVth posted:

What are the rules if a mech shares a hex with a vehicle? Can the vehicle shoot it?

I.e. if the Wasp keeps trying to tapdance on the Athena can it do anything about it?

Nope and nope.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Not the absolute best that could have happened this turn, but it could have been much worse.

Best option this following turn seems to be to staying right next to the Mars, though I'm not decided where the best spot it. Likely either 3813 or 3914. Unfortunately doesn't give me a move modifier unless I jump, but it stays within the minimum range of the Gauss Rifle.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Really wishing those Mars crits would've done more. Still hoping for GoonRCT to pull a win out of this!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Yeah, the Partisan is all but done now with an open front and stunned crew. Unlucky with the crits on the big threat there, but hopefully the Panther will be able to take out the Mars next turn soonest.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Focus that bad boy down if you can. My team-mates and I last round had similar issues when we just couldn't focus fire enough and the enemies kept cycling in and out to prevent us from really finishing them off well. That turned out poorly for us. :(

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Re: Panther positioning, I advise you to be sure you can bring your SRMs to bear whatever it does.

Artificer posted:

Focus that bad boy down if you can. My team-mates and I last round had similar issues when we just couldn't focus fire enough and the enemies kept cycling in and out to prevent us from really finishing them off well. That turned out poorly for us. :(

Unfortunately, after the Panther, the closest three units are the Partisan (can't fire), Tokugawa (can't move into LoS [or range for its one weapon]), and Wasp (18 hexes away, is a Wasp).

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
It might not be a bad idea to back away from the Mars, as it currently has the mobility of a dead slug and only a functional gauss rifle on the turret. Deal with the other poo poo and come back when your forces are concentrated.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The Merry Marauder posted:

Re: Panther positioning, I advise you to be sure you can bring your SRMs to bear whatever it does.

Yeah, it is incapable of getting out of my SRM arc from either of those hexes, but on review I think 3813 is the better choice. 3914 gives the Mars the option of turning to face me and bringing its LRMs into play if it wishes. Decent chance it would end up dead, but might very well take the Panther with it. 3813 makes that impossible - though it does give the Mars the option of backing into my hex and limiting my attack to a kick.

I think the Partisan's best option is to back up into 3605 and turn to face 3506. That should hopefully allow it to move to engage the Sylph next turn before it completely kills our objective, and it cannot do any more where it is anyways.

KnoxZone posted:

It might not be a bad idea to back away from the Mars, as it currently has the mobility of a dead slug and only a functional gauss rifle on the turret. Deal with the other poo poo and come back when your forces are concentrated.

I am not entirely sure I CAN clear out of LoS of the Mars from where I currently am, and I would rather stay within the Gauss Rifle's minimum range than give it a shot at short range.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Lord Koth posted:

I am not entirely sure I CAN clear out of LoS of the Mars from where I currently am, and I would rather stay within the Gauss Rifle's minimum range than give it a shot at short range.

Technically, you could jump into the water in 3717! :pseudo:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Partisan can always rotate around to cover the front and buy one more turn by presenting the untouched rear amor (BETTER THAN NOTHING.)

3714 is an option that keeps you inside the gausses minimum range if the mars doesn't move, and no matter where it moves it can't escape short range on your srms or bring its frontal armament to bear. and if it doesn't move it gets 3 shots. (gauss and two machine guns) which the nearly mint panther can probably suck up, meanwhile the srms should penetrate the turret and stun the mars for a turn, then the execution can occur.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

We got fluff for the Hunter missing a bunker, but not for the Wasp failing to step on something?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Alchenar posted:

We got fluff for the Hunter missing a bunker, but not for the Wasp failing to step on something?

Everyone gets a turn in the spotlight.

:ssh: missing for the second time this game :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Well, that was some pretty fortuitous rolling on the part of the Mars to hit with SRMs on an 10 and then get a six-hit cluster roll to just barely breach the Partisan, but the turret TAC is some compensation for it. The Panther has pretty good odds of taking it out next turn.

The Hunter and Manticore should maybe get back into the game?

• Locked thread