Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

hooman posted:

I was under the impression crew stunned meant it couldn't do anything.

Oh well, I'll submit contingency orders in case it can move.

It can cruise. Turning around to face your rear armor "down" is probably your best bet, as discussed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

hooman posted:

I was under the impression crew stunned meant it couldn't do anything.

Crew Stunned used to be "You can't do anything for 3 turns"

Crew Stunned currently (under Total Warfare) means you can't shoot or move faster than your cruising speed for 1 turn.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Just turned in my orders, continuing to fire at the ammo dump.

Friar John, if you see this in time, you might want to consider backing up into 1015 to have more options in case the Horned Owl decides to jump into the woods next turn.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Things you can't do with contingencies:

Use them to move after Ace units. Nice try, though!

Edit: I just want something to explode! I don't even care if it's mine! :argh:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 26, 2015

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

If you are referring to my orders, that's not what was intended at all. It was a matter of I am still not exactly sure what the exact dimensions of firing arcs are, so I am not entirely sure what the Mars' range of fire would be if it rotated in certain ways. The tertiary contingency was to a spot I know the Mars cannot get into its frontal arc regardless of what it does. The primary and secondary spots were to places I was not certain of.

Or, in other words, I do not actually care where the Mars moves to. It was a theoretical "If it is even possible for the Mars to rotate enough to get stated space into its frontal arc, do not go there." What it actually does is irrelevant to that.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: I just want something to explode! I don't even care if it's mine! :argh:

A sentiment worthy of respect.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

T.G. Xarbala posted:

A sentiment worthy of respect.

And when the Manticore finally hits the ammo dump, we find it contains a couple of kilos of antimatter, giving all the combatants a lovely fireworks show.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Sludge Factory: Tactical Update 19

The Tokugawa rocked as another brush from the enemy BattleMech’s large laser struck it like a hammer. The vehicle’s thick plating took on an angry, reddish hue as the ceramic layers wicked away excess heat. The fact that that glow was visible at all told Gunsho Bakr all she needed to know. Another hit like that and her crew would be lucky if they died before getting coated in molten steel-ceramic composites. Losing such a new vehicle was a blow, but the Coordinator-Prince had made his thoughts clear. He’d rather the newly-formed “regimental combat team” abandon a dozen machines if it preserved the veteran warriors who crewed them. She didn’t agree but giri demanded she obey.

“Everyone out,” she made the final call, cracking open the rear gantry. She squeezed her eyes shut against the sudden rush of stinging sulfur. She was the last out—or so she’d thought. The moment her foot hit the soft soil the rear gantry’s hydraulics whined as it began to swing closed. Spinning in place, she met the grim gaze of her loader: a man she’d served with for more than a decade. He didn’t salute, she was no officer and it wouldn’t have been proper, but he did offer as respectful a bow as he could manage under the circumstances. He didn’t speak, but his resolve was clear: he would continue to man the Tokugawa’s last functioning weapon until the weapon or the tank itself was destroyed.

She bowed in return. The obligations of duty were one of the Combine’s greatest strength: the Dragon’s soldiers rarely struggled with doubt; but it was also one of the Combine’s greatest weaknesses. Every soldier interpreted their giri differently.

ACE Mars Assault Vehicle
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Panther (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 9): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires LB 10-X Autocannon (Slug) at Panther (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 9): rolled 10, hit Right Torso (0/10 armor remaining)!
- Fires LRM-15 at Panther (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 9): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires LRM-15 at Panther (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 9): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires LRM-15 at Panther (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 9): rolled 12, 9 missiles hit Left Arm (5/10 armor remaining), Center Torso (4/14 armor remaining)!

Manticore (LBX)
- Fires LB 10-X Autocannon (Slug) at Ammo Dump (4 base + 4 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 light woods = 11): rolled 6, miss!

Wasp
- Holds fire!
- Gains 4 heat, sinks 10!

Hunter 1
- Fires ER Large Laser at Ammo Dump (4 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 light woods = 10): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires LRM-15 at Ammo Dump (4 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 light woods = 10): rolled 9, miss!

Tokugawa 2
- Fires Artemis SRM-6 at Infantry 2109 (4 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement = 8): rolled 10, 2 missiles hit! 4 troopers killed!

Partisan 2
- Crew Stunned!

PNT 10K2 Panther
- Fires ER PPC at Mars Assault Vehicle (4 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement = 7): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires SRM-4 at Mars Assault Vehicle (4 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement = 9): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires SRM-4 at Mars Assault Vehicle (4 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement = 9): rolled 7, miss!
- Gains 25 heat, sinks 24!

Sylph Point
- Fires Micro Pulse Laser at M.A.S.H. (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 3): rolled 11, hit (17/50 CF remaining)!

Athena Combat Vehicle
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Building Hex 2707 (4 base+ 4 range + 0 movement - 4 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 3): rolled 9, hit (19/90 CF remaining)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Building Hex 2707 (4 base+ 4 range + 0 movement - 4 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 3): rolled 11, hit (12/90 CF remaining)!

Horned Owl
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1811!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Tokugawa (4 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement - 2 Pulse Laser - 4 immobile target = 5): Rolled 6, hit Front (10/40 armor remaining)! TAC!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Tokugawa (4 base + 4 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement - 2 Pulse Laser - 4 immobile target = 7): Rolled 6, miss!
- Gains 20 heat, sinks 20!

Elementals
- Hold fire!

End Phase
Tokugawa
- Through-armor critical chance in Front! No critical hit sustained!

Player Status:

Opposing Force Status:

Mission Objective:
Capture the Coolant Factory (0/1)

Secondary Objectives:
Protect the Mobile Army Support Hospital from detection (Failed)
Defend the Mobile Army Support Hospital (0/1)
Locate the Clan Ammunition Dump (1/1)
Destroy the Clan Ammunition Dump (0/1)

Special Rules:
Caustic, Tainted Atmosphere (TacOps p56)
Vehicles suffer an automatic Crew Stunned if armor is breached, Mechwarriors take double damage from cockpit hits.
Point Commanders
As long as they are active combatants, the Mars Assault Vehicle and Epona Pursuit Tank may designate one unit each as an Ace for two turns. New Ace units may not be designated until Ace status expires. Units which opt to remain immobile for at least two turns gain Ace status on the first turn they move. BattleMechs and VTOLs may not be Aces.

Orders Due: Midnight Tuesday!

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

If you are referring to my orders, that's not what was intended at all. It was a matter of I am still not exactly sure what the exact dimensions of firing arcs are, so I am not entirely sure what the Mars' range of fire would be if it rotated in certain ways. The tertiary contingency was to a spot I know the Mars cannot get into its frontal arc regardless of what it does. The primary and secondary spots were to places I was not certain of.

Or, in other words, I do not actually care where the Mars moves to. It was a theoretical "If it is even possible for the Mars to rotate enough to get stated space into its frontal arc, do not go there." What it actually does is irrelevant to that.

Quoting this PTN, since no clarification was asked for, and nowhere in my orders did I try to suggest moving after the Mars. And now I got hit by the LRMs and the Autocannon I WAS PERFECTLY CAPABLE OF STAYING OUT OF RANGE FROM and were the entire point behind submitting those contingency orders.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Lord Koth posted:

What I'm about to say is going to upset you. I'm sorry, preemptively, but:

I very rarely follow secondary or tertiary movement orders unless another player has blocked your first listed move(s).

I know the Quick Start Rules I always link players when a scenario begins only show the front firing arc, but it's turn 19. If you were having trouble with arcs I would have been more than happy to explain how they work if you'd asked for clarification at any point.

So for future reference (using the Partisan because it's easy), these are the firing arcs for every non-infantry unit in BattleTech:

Green is the front firing arc, red is the rear firing arc, orange is the left and right side arcs respectively. The front arc is the biggest and the hardest to work around.

Now, I'm going to leave it up to the thread because I'm sick and cranky and don't trust my judgement: is this grounds enough to redo the turn? Because if this is unreasonable I absolutely will.

Edit: Let me also say, I get it. I really do.

As players, I know you want to live through a (very difficult) mission. But not all of you are going to, and survival isn't an objective (and, if I have any say about it, 'survive' will never be an objective we see ever again). I don't want to punish players for doing fun and risky things, I'd much rather reward them for doing fun and risky and 'suboptimal' things.

For example: If the Partisan rushes forward to distract the Mars next turn it's probably going to get shot and killed, but that'd leave the Panther free for a Death-From-Above (that I probably wouldn't move away from because that's :black101: ).

Likewise, both the Manticore and Hunter have a route to escape their little riverside ledge that lets them get back onto higher ground in a position that the Athena can't get line-of-sight to. That'll let you get a movement mod going before you engage again in a turn or two, and the Athena's really not tough enough to take on two tanks with decent armor and range. Sure, one of you might die killing it but

The players can win by killing my last three combat vehicles even if you all die in the attempt. My goal, the whole goal for the LP, is to reward people for trying to have fun. So please, relax, and stop worrying about whether or not burying your tanks in buildings to drag the mission out longer is the ideal move. :shobon:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 26, 2015

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

For total clarity, here were the orders submitted.

quote:

Still somewhat uncertain about the outer boundaries of firing arcs, so some conditional orders.

Movement
-Will, subject to the condition below and in order of priority, jump 3411 facing 3512, jump to 3715 facing 3814, or walk to 3813 facing 3913.
--Condition is as follows. If the Mars, by turning to face either 3812 or 3914 would result in putting one of the listed hexes into its Frontal arc(and capable of being hit by LRMs), ignore that hex and move onto the next listed one.

Shooting
-Shoot all weapons at the Mars.

Physical
-If the Mars is in kicking range, do so.

Part of my annoyance is that if something doesn't make sense, you typically ask for clarification. Instead it was a snarky note in the thread about trying cheat you and move after the Mars, despite that obviously being impossible. On a reread I see how it could be interpreted as such, but at the same time that's obviously an illegal condition.

Also, that tertiary move was my initial consideration, if you follow the thread chain, and only partially due to that minimum range modifier. The modifications were made due to multiple people saying I should move into partial cover instead, as it had more protection from the Gauss. My primary consideration was to stay out of the massive pile of weapons it had available in its frontal arc though, and keep its massive array of forward-firing weapons out of play.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 26, 2015

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Quoting this, for emphasis:

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: Let me also say, I get it. I really do.

As players, I know you want to live through a (very difficult) mission. But not all of you are going to, and survival isn't an objective (and, if I have any say about it, 'survive' will never be an objective we see ever again). I don't want to punish players for doing fun and risky things, I'd much rather reward them for doing fun and risky and 'suboptimal' things.

For example: If the Partisan rushes forward to distract the Mars next turn it's probably going to get shot and killed, but that'd leave the Panther free for a Death-From-Above (that I probably wouldn't move away from because that's :black101: ).

Likewise, both the Manticore and Hunter have a route to escape their little riverside ledge that lets them get back onto higher ground in a position that the Athena can't get line-of-sight to. That'll let you get a movement mod going before you engage again in a turn or two, and the Athena's really not tough enough to take on two tanks with decent armor and range. Sure, one of you might die killing it but

The players can win by killing my last three combat vehicles even if you all die in the attempt. My goal, the whole goal for the LP, is to reward people for trying to have fun. So please, relax, and stop worrying about whether or not burying your tanks in buildings to drag the mission out longer is the ideal move. :shobon:

Stop gettin' angry about robots and have fun stomping on my toys! :shobon:

ifyouseethispost
Mar 23, 2015
If fun over realism, how about the dead players each get two Pepperpots as reinforcements? They'll probably still lose at this point, and it'd be a great way to showcase popular minor units that didn't win any competitions.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Quoting this, for emphasis:

Stop gettin' angry about robots and have fun stomping on my toys! :shobon:

And I am! Frustration probably would have been a better word anyways.

In this case, it's more a matter that I'm aware you typically ask for clarification regarding unclear or seemingly illegal orders when they're submitted. But, and admittedly the fact that you're sick makes not necessarily wanting to track people down somewhat understandable, that didn't happen here and instead there was some slight in-thread snarking. If I'd ended up moving to that tertiary location and ended up with a head blown off or the center torso cored/engine destroyed I'd have been fine with that! In this case it's more a matter of ending up basically killable by anything for no reason.

And I have expressed difficulties with firing arcs before. Two(?) turns ago, in fact. Incidentally, that diagram is pretty helpful. :)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm grumpy, tired, and sick. I probably should've delayed the update but I wanted to get it done and feel good about something that happened today.

I'm sorry if I made you feel foolish. If it helps, you really do want to be in the Mars's front arc. Any shots you fire that hit it in the front are going through it like a hot knife through rice-paper. I was taking a huge risk just by pointing it in your general direction since the Panther can kill it solo if it hits with everything.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

ifyouseethispost posted:

If fun over realism, how about the dead players each get two Pepperpots as reinforcements? They'll probably still lose at this point, and it'd be a great way to showcase popular minor units that didn't win any competitions.

You remember the Pepperpots! :D

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
So, Hunter and Manty coming out to play this turn?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

That was a rough turn, nothing to show for it but some infantry kills and deeper gouges in what little armor/structure remains on the Goon side. It's turns like that stacked on top of each other where the clans patiently build hits while the DS miss longshots on the ammo depot that build up to a loss.

And someone, somehow, has to keep the MASH from getting very patiently destroyed. That's at least one achievable objective.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

At this point, the best way to avoid the Sylphs killing the MASH is for all of us to be dead in five turns, win or lose.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Ok the Partisan can drive forward for better shots, or it could turn and drive through the woods and protect its front a bit (would end in 3906?

Panther has lots of options to jump around, (jumping into the woods is always a good dick move.)

Just remember to coordinate and catch the mars with both units.

I think this was a good turn just because the partisan and panther are both still alive.

Wasp, buddy, Glorious death DFA the horned owl into the mined bridge hex.:black101:

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

The Merry Marauder posted:

I'd like to! I think I can move to 1015 (1 turn + 1 hex + 1 elevation) to shoot at the Horned Owl?

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Friar John posted:

I'd like to! I think I can move to 1015 (1 turn + 1 hex + 1 elevation) to shoot at the Horned Owl?
Do you mean 1115?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

If so, you'll have to flank, since vehicles take an extra MP to go uphill.

e: missed you were now 2/3. Minimum movement lets you enter the hex directly in front of you regardless of total cost, which will come in handy next turn, I imagine.

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 27, 2015

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
If I could give any advice to future players it's simply to Have Fun. The less I worried about surviving Counting Coup, the more fun I had. Half of that mission I spent writing silly ghost messages in our google doc after I died. :haw:

I'm also certain that we could've done it in a totally different way that would've been stunningly dull to read about, but ended up with a fairly solid win and nearly full Star returning, but that isn't as much of a nailbiter and wouldn't be very good reading.

I still can't believe Def Waffle managed that escape either, that was straight up fantastic bit of 'meching on their part.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

If they spot it, there's a place they can come up the slopes that's safe from the Athena which would give them a turn to build up a move-mod.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

I'm honestly quite unsure on how to proceed the next few turns.
Obviously the Horned Owl is not going to respond to our shots against the ammo dump, but is rather going to try and hunt down the Wasp.
While the Wasp might theoretically be able to evade LOS, thanks to our Ace status, this depends very much on continued good rolls after every jump.
So what I think we should aim for is to drive our two tanks down the western road to hopefully meet up with the Wasp and either engage the Athena and Horned Owl or shoot up the ammo dump at better ranges.
0914 should be safe from the Athena, even if it returns to 2016, thanks to 4 intervening light woods, so that would be the safest hex for the Manticore to ascend, but the minimum movement rule only allows you to enter hexes which you face at the beginning of the turn, so ascending there would take three turns (1 turn doing the 180 degree turn, 1 moving into 0915 and changing facing and 1 turn to ascend), so a riskier but quicker option would be to ascend in 1014, but that would give the Athena LOS from 2016, since only 2 woods would intervene.
I could either ascend this turn into 1115 (which would give the Horned Owl shots on me at a 9 for the LPL and 11s on the MPLs, but maybe he'd prefer to finish off the Tokugawa after the Athena has brought down the building in 2707?) or move to 0915 to ascend next turn. Option one would give me an ERLL shot at the infantry and indirect LRM fire at the target of the Tokugawa's choosing, while option two would only give me the indirect LRM.

Any other suggestions? Currently I'd prefer going to 0915, since I don't want to give the dice any more options than necessary to gently caress me. Friar John, The Merry Marauder, what do you guys think?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Time to DROP A MAD PARTISAN 180!

Movement
Partisan
FLANK SPEED
Advance to 3606
Turn to 3605

Turretgawa
Contemplate existence.

Shooting!

Partisan
If the MARS is in line of sight fire the AC5's at the MARS.
If the MARS isn't in line of sight fire the AC5's at the ATHENA.

Tokugawa
Fire SRM at infantry in 2208.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

sheep-dodger posted:

I'm honestly quite unsure on how to proceed the next few turns.

Any other suggestions? Currently I'd prefer going to 0915, since I don't want to give the dice any more options than necessary to gently caress me. Friar John, The Merry Marauder, what do you guys think?

I think you're best served risking the fire this turn in order to be able to get decent THs next turn.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Can the Tok-man not continue killing infantry with his anti-tank missiles?

edit - Oh! He's only contemplating existence for the driving phase

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

hooman: The Mars may be able to deny your LoS if you only move to 3606. 3707 is a building hex.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

hooman posted:

Movement
Partisan
FLANK SPEED
Advance to 3606
Turn to 3605

Turretgawa
Contemplate existence.

Shooting!

Partisan

Tokugawa
If you include an order to spot an infantry for me, I'll try to send some LRM's your way.

I think you're best served risking the fire this turn in order to be able to get decent THs next turn.
Ok, I'll ascend into 1115 this turn then.

Friar John posted:

Don't forget that it costs you 3 MP to go up a hill, not two, since vehicles pay one extra, so you can pretty much only ascend via the minimum movement rule.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Since no one replied while I was asleep, I just turned in these orders:

quote:

Movement:
turn 180 degrees (3 MP)
ascend into 1115 (3 MP)

Shooting:
fire the ERLL at the infantry in 1212
if hooman saw my post and spots one of the far infantry units for me, fire the LRM at that infantry indirectly
otherwise fire it at the infantry in 1212 as well

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
One of our players has requested a delay. Please wish them a swift and complete recovery!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

hooman posted:

Movement
Partisan
FLANK SPEED
Advance to 3606
Turn to 3605

Turretgawa
Contemplate existence.

Shooting!

Partisan

Tokugawa

3607 and turning to face 3507 would probably work better, +1 move mod on your end for defenses and it still protects your front, and absolutely insures the mars can't avoid your fire.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I... what?

:psyduck:

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010
This ought to be magical.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
This can only mean that Battletech has happened. Did the Mars engage in a little Luthien Drift?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

AJ_Impy posted:

This can only mean that Battletech has happened. Did the Mars engage in a little Luthien Drift?

I bet everyone is dead.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

Alchenar posted:

I bet everyone is dead.

That's my ideal match end. Everybody skids into lakes and buildings, snaps their own legs off, or plows an I-beam through their cockpit on the same turn. The Elementals will be standing at the ammo dump with their heads in their hands. "Lets just delete the records for this battle and never speak of it again."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I hope the Wasp did something amazing.

• Locked thread