Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

AtomikKrab posted:

So ptn, you didn't do anything to the mars in response to the illegal move?

if You want to make the players feel better let the partisan shoot at the slyph unit with its machine guns on the previous turn!

He reverted it and let the partisan shoot at it (still missed completely).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010
Edit: Didn't realize there was another page, Z already answered it.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Z the IVth posted:

He reverted it and let the partisan shoot at it (still missed completely).

Well :battletech:

Kill the mars, keep backing the partisan up closer so you get into short range on your guns and reduce the woods modifier and kill it.

Also the horned owl

The athena is just a matter of keeping out of its firing arc.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Orders!

Movement:

Tokugawa
None

Partisan
Turn to 3507
Reverse to 3708

Shooting:
Tokugawa
None

Partisan
Fire AC5s at Mars

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

hooman posted:

Orders!

Movement:

Tokugawa
None

Partisan
Turn to 3507
Reverse to 3708

Shooting:
Tokugawa
None

Partisan
Fire AC5s at Mars

I think you are good on the movement thanks to the road giving you +1, but have the tokugawa shoot the second group of infantry at least.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
You can't flank backwards, and the road bonus only applies when flanking.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

AtomikKrab posted:

I think you are good on the movement thanks to the road giving you +1, but have the tokugawa shoot the second group of infantry at least.

The Tokugawa's remaining operable weapon is in it's turret, and that's locked forward. The infantry platoon there isn't in it's possible firing arc.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

GhostStalker posted:

The Tokugawa's remaining operable weapon is in it's turret, and that's locked forward. The infantry platoon there isn't in it's possible firing arc.

We've been ignoring the turret locks. Similarly, the Athena's would be locked right-rear. It seems churlish to insist on a change now.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

The Merry Marauder posted:

We've been ignoring the turret locks. Similarly, the Athena's would be locked right-rear. It seems churlish to insist on a change now.

The Tokugawa took an actual 'turret lock' crit.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Ah, fair enough.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Seriously? I must've missed the Athena turret lock, but I only mentioned the Tokugawa turret lock because I remembered it only happened 2 turns ago due to a crit. It was why I assumed the Tokugawa hadn't fired on that platoon these past couple of turns, besides the instance of Crew Stun last turn...

EDIT: Explained by PTN. Guess you missed that crit there.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Yeah, if we'd been locking turrets on engine hits, some people would have been pret-ty bored.

"pop hatches and engage with sidearms" bored.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah, if we'd been locking turrets on engine hits, some people would have been pret-ty bored.

"pop hatches and engage with sidearms" bored.

I dunno, that sounds pretty cool. Although it'd probably get boring after the first couple of turns of it happening and the crew unable to hit anything with their personal weapons...

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

My orders are in:

quote:

Movement
no movement

Shooting
Shoot everything at the Horned Owl

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
It seems like this round of shooting will determine the game.

Partisan + Panther vs. Mars

Hunter + Manticore vs. Horned Owl

Come on dice.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Just for saying that you've now guaranteed everyone misses and next turn's dice do it. :colbert:

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010
Hey, I thought the tipping point was two turns back, then PTN decided to politely not shoot the Panther into a fine smear. It isn't over until the last unit on one side is dead.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

GenericServices posted:

then PTN decided to politely not shoot the Panther into a fine smear.

Still playing Clanners.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Still playing Clanners.

Well, sure, that's the polite part. The barbarian is the monster in the Partisan taking advantage of your space-honor for a chance at a cheap shot. Monster.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Sludge Factory: Tactical Update 22

The Mars’s engine roared and protested as SRMs struck the massive war machine. The Mars had been built with as much redundancy as the Clan designers could manage but not even four sets of treads could save it from the punishing impact of the Panther’s SRMs. The drive wheels burst and flew apart and the segmented track fell apart like a caterpillar cut by a pair of garden sheers. Autocannon rounds deflected from the slab-shaped machine even as the driver turned to put the heavy engine between the crew and their attackers. The Mars ground to a halt as the maneuver drove it right off its damaged treads. The massive turret turned, the weapon barrels swinging in line with the Panther’s chest.

At such short range, it almost couldn’t miss.

Movement Phase
Panther
- Stands carefully facing hex 3913 (4 base + 0 movement - 2 careful stand = 2): automatic success!

ACE Mars Assault Vehicle
- Turret twists to threaten right arc!
- Fires ER Large Laser at Panther (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 7, hit Right Arm (0/6 structure remaining)! Arm blown off!
- - Damage transfers to Right Torso (0/8 structure remaining)! Torso destroyed!
- - Damage transfers to Center Torso (8/11 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Panther (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 minimum range = 8): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires machine gun at Panther (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 9, hit Right Arm Center Torso (6/11 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Fires machine gun at Panther (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 7, hit Right Leg (1/8 armor remaining)!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at Panther (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 10, 6 missiles hit Left Leg (5/12 armor remaining), Center Torso (4/11 structure remaining (Crit!)), Center Torso (2/11 structure remaining (Crit!)), Center Torso (0/11 structure remaining (`Mech Destroyed!)), Left Leg (3/12 armor remaining), Left Torso (8/10 armor remaining)!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at Partisan (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods + 1 secondary target = 10): rolled 7, fails to lock-on!

Manticore (LBX)
- Fires LB 10-X Autocannon (Slug) at Horned Owl (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 11): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at Zardos Squad! Target not in arc!

Hunter 1
- Fires ER Large Laser at Horned Owl (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement = 9): rolled 9, hit Left Leg (0/11 armor, 3/8 structure remaining)! TAC!
- Fires LRM-15 at Horned Owl (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement = 9): rolled 7, miss!

Tokugawa 2
- Holds fire!

Partisan 2
- Fires Autocannon/5 at Mars (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 7): rolled 8, hit Left Side (34/43 armor remaining)!
- Fires Autocannon/5 at Mars (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 7): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Autocannon/5 at Mars (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 7): rolled 7, hit Left Side (29/43 armor remaining)!
- Fires Autocannon/5 at Mars (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 7): rolled 8, hit Rear (32/37 armor remaining)! CfMSD!

PNT 10K2 Panther
- Fires ER PPC at Mars (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 9, hit Right Side (28/43 armor remaining)!
- Fires SRM-4 at Mars (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 6, 3 missiles hit Rear (30/37 armor remaining (CfMSD)), Right Side (26/43 armor remaining), Right Side (24/43 armor remaining (Crit!))!
- Fires SRM-4 at Mars (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 8, 3 missiles hit Right Side (22/43 armor remaining (CfMSD)), Right Side (20/43 armor remaining), Rear (28/37 armor remaining)!
- Gains 21 heat, sinks 20!

Athena Combat Vehicle
- Holds fire!

Horned Owl
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Hunter (4 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 Pulse Laser = 7): Rolled 6, miss!
- Gains 16 heat, sinks 20!

Sylph Point
- Fires Small Pulse Laser at MASH (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 3): rolled 10, hit (14/50 durability remaining)!

Elementals
- Hold fire!

Zardoz Squad
- Fire Gauss SMGs at Manticore (4 base + 2 range + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 7): rolled 4, miss!

End Phase
Horned Owl
- Through-armor critical chance in Left Leg! No critical hit sustained!

Mars
- Chance for Motive System Damage! Major damage, vehicle immobilized!
- Chance for Motive System Damage! Minor damage +1 to driving!
- Critical chance in Right Side! No damage sustained!
- Chance for Motive System Damage! Moderate damage -1 MP!

Player Status:

Opposing Force Status:

Mission Objective:
Capture the Coolant Factory (0/1)
- Objective Update: If either force is reduced to nothing but immobilized units, the other force wins!

Secondary Objectives:
Protect the Mobile Army Support Hospital from detection (Failed)
Defend the Mobile Army Support Hospital (0/1)
Locate the Clan Ammunition Dump (1/1)
Destroy the Clan Ammunition Dump (0/1)

Special Rules:
Caustic, Tainted Atmosphere (TacOps p56)
Vehicles suffer an automatic Crew Stunned if armor is breached, Mechwarriors take double damage from cockpit hits.
Point Commanders
As long as they are active combatants, the Mars Assault Vehicle and Epona Pursuit Tank may designate one unit each as an Ace for two turns. New Ace units may not be designated until Ace status expires. Units which opt to remain immobile for at least two turns gain Ace status on the first turn they move. BattleMechs and VTOLs may not be Aces.

Orders Due: Midnight Tuesday!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Panther is dead, but the Mars is mobility killed.

Clip that Horned Owl's wings, Goons! :black101:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They don't have to wipe the infantry, right?

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
The players are 3 points of damage to a leg away from victory.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Take that, defeatism!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I still want to see that Mars die.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

goatface posted:

They don't have to wipe the infantry, right?

Someone might want to finish off the Sylphs; "the hospital still has points left" doesn't mean that patients, doctors and supplies aren't taking hits.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

This could be it!

Narsham posted:

Someone might want to finish off the Sylphs; "the hospital still has points left" doesn't mean that patients, doctors and supplies aren't taking hits.

People have been saying this for many turns now, as though there were a unit sufficiently mobile to actually do so.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

:toot:

So since the partisan can't avoid the mars/kill the slyphs, can it do some called shots on the immobile mars turret? it could still kill the mars if it takes the turret.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

goatface posted:

I still want to see that Mars die.

Just appreciate the fact that the Mars is now stuck there impotent until either the crew abandons the vehicle or the DS finally bothers to drop an artillery shell on it. Imagine how galling this must be to the crews of the Mars and Athena.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

I've been reading this thread since it started, but never really took the time to comment in it.

I just wanted to say Thank you to everyone, for all their hard work in keeping this thread going, for remaining consistently entertaining, and for rekindling my enjoyment of battletech. PTN especially, as practically all of the work has fallen onto your shoulders, you've done an amazing job, and I can do nothing less than extend kudos and congratulations to your work ethic and contribution of creating a drat-near riveting story.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Are the Manticore, the Hunter and the almost-immobile/dead Partisan really enough to defeat the Horned Owl, though? I mean, the Partisan is miles away and the Mars is disabled but not unarmed - maybe I'm misreading the map, but it looks like the Mars could murder it before it limps out of sight. I don't know if it could possibly get line of sight on that last elemental wrecking the MASH, but if it could it could probably blast him now since shooting at the Mars isn't important.

I'm imagining the goons pulling this off with only the Hunter left operational, which put-putts around the battlefield to get behind each of the immobilized heavy vehicles and plink them to death from maximum range.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Dolash posted:

Are the Manticore, the Hunter and the almost-immobile/dead Partisan really enough to defeat the Horned Owl, though?

Thanks to that lucky ERLL hit this turn, we only need to do 3 more damage to the HO's Left Leg to mission kill it, then it's a win, since the rest of the enemy's units are either infantry or immobilized.

Though I do like the idea of a hunter finishing off the Athena and the Mars off-screen :allears:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Dolash posted:

Are the Manticore, the Hunter and the almost-immobile/dead Partisan really enough to defeat the Horned Owl, though? I mean, the Partisan is miles away and the Mars is disabled but not unarmed - maybe I'm misreading the map, but it looks like the Mars could murder it before it limps out of sight. I don't know if it could possibly get line of sight on that last elemental wrecking the MASH, but if it could it could probably blast him now since shooting at the Mars isn't important.

I'm imagining the goons pulling this off with only the Hunter left operational, which put-putts around the battlefield to get behind each of the immobilized heavy vehicles and plink them to death from maximum range.

The only weapons it can actually shoot at the Partisan(if it moves away) are the ER Large and the Gauss, and possibly one SRM. Certainly enough to kill the Partisan if they all hit, but it will be taking penalties both for range and shooting through multiple forest hexes. Everything else on the Mars is facing in the wrong direction.

edit: Of course, now that it is immobilized, there is nothing really stopping the Mars from designating the Sylph as Ace again...

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 11, 2015

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Lord Koth posted:

The only weapons it can actually shoot at the Partisan(if it moves away) are the ER Large and the Gauss, and possibly one SRM. Certainly enough to kill the Partisan if they all hit, but it will be taking penalties both for range and shooting through multiple forest hexes. Everything else on the Mars is facing in the wrong direction.

edit: Of course, now that it is immobilized, there is nothing really stopping the Mars from designating the Sylph as Ace again...

I doubt he'd designate the Sylph, if he decides to designate somebody else, then the Horned Owl would make the most sense.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Focus that Horned Owl down! Be sure to try and stay out of easy firing lines of the now immobilized Athena and Mars while you guys are doing so. Hopefully the drat Horned Owl can't run for it and get back into the cover of either the Mars or Athena.

How many turns do we have to kill it before the hospital is destroyed?

Edit: How big of a threat is the Zardoz squad to our remaining units?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

sheep-dodger posted:

I doubt he'd designate the Sylph, if he decides to designate somebody else, then the Horned Owl would make the most sense.

This is true as well.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's not going to ACE the Sylph. It's going to ACE the Horned Owl if this isn't won before then. Crack out the SRMs and cluster rounds and blow that leg off.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Artificer posted:

Edit: How big of a threat is the Zardoz squad to our remaining units?

It's sort of a ghetto LRM15 if they manage to hoof it into range, except that their range is only like 2 or 3 hexes. They also don't count for clan victory so just ignore them.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
:eng101: It can't ace the mech, it can only designate infantry/vehicles.

Hell yes right hand side. With the MARS crippled we're one horned owl away from a win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Well, then it can't ACE anything relevant so who gives a poo poo?

• Locked thread