Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Yeah, as it stands, the best moves I can see would be for the Manticore to move to 0812 and for me to 0813 (I have to move anyway, to get the HO back into my Front arc). As far as I can see those are the positions where we can get into the best range bands on our weapons while still gaining some distance from Zardoz squad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

PoptartsNinja posted:

Hunter 1
- Fires ER Large Laser at Horned Owl (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement = 9): rolled 9, hit Left Leg (0/11 armor, 3/8 structure remaining)! TAC!
- Fires LRM-15 at Horned Owl (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement = 9): rolled 7, miss!

End Phase
Horned Owl
- Through-armor critical chance in Left Leg! No critical hit sustained!

PTN, since the ER LL hit went internal on the Horned Owl's leg, shouldn't there be two crit rolls - one for the TAC and one ordinary roll for damaging its internal structure?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I've never bothered with that. One hit, one crit.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Can the remaining two kill the horned owl? Yes

Just keep out of the Athena's ability to fire.

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

This might be the most round so far. The repeated changes in fortune are making people look bipolar with their shifting moods.

Poptart's dice give no fucks, though. And it is amazing to read.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Time to use those last few cluster rounds!

Sheep-dodger, I'm thinking of going to either 0913 or 1012, just so I can use all my weapons on the Horned Owl, including the MPL.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Athena will hit you in 1012. Don't tempt fate.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

The Merry Marauder posted:

Athena will hit you in 1012. Don't tempt fate.
0913 it is!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Friar John posted:

0913 it is!

you have to flank but the distance penalties will also drop so +2 move -2 distance, and you can bring the pulse laser into play. Best choice (also cluster, glorious cluster the horned owl.)

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
It would have been real nice if some of those hits tapped the Mars turret with two armor, but I guess we can certainly settle for it being immobilized with its forward battery facing off the map.

This might be one of the bloodiest battles GoonLance has been involved in in terms of near-annihilation of both sides.

EDIT: 1400 BV worth of mechs crippling 4000 BV worth of clan vehicles

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 11, 2015

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Voyager I posted:

It would have been real nice if some of those hits tapped the Mars turret with two armor, but I guess we can certainly settle for it being immobilized with its forward battery facing off the map.

This might be one of the bloodiest battles GoonLance has been involved in in terms of near-annihilation of both sides.

EDIT: 1400 BV worth of mechs crippling 4000 BV worth of clan vehicles

Immobilised is honestly better as it is mission killed and the vehicles on the left no longer have to worry about it. Hitting the turret would have just stunned it in which case the Partisan would have to deal with it alone and the 4 ac5's would have really struggled.

Speaking of the Partisan I'm not really sure what the Partisan should do. Should I drive towards the (soon to be ace) Sylphs in the hope of distracting them for the single turn it takes to shoot off my remaining 1 structure of front or take more turns of shooting from the Mars to try to drive to the other side of the map (at movement 1 2) to help against the horned owl? I have range 18 on the AC5s but that's quite a few turns of movement away.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

At this point your job is to exist. Try to remain mobile in case of shenanigans on the other side of the board and maybe kill that last sylph if you can manage it.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Wait, does this mean the scenario could potentially end in a draw with all mechs down and zero mobile assets left for anybody on the board, or do the infantry count as a tiebreaker for that one since a bunch of foot troops shouldn't have much trouble swarming immobilized tanks?

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Friar John posted:

0913 it is!

In that case I think I'll just turn in place, to remain at exactly 7 Hexes distance and not eat the -1 minimum range penalty on my LRMs.

God this game is coming down to the wire.
I love it!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Voyager I posted:

Wait, does this mean the scenario could potentially end in a draw with all mechs down and zero mobile assets left for anybody on the board, or do the infantry count as a tiebreaker for that one since a bunch of foot troops shouldn't have much trouble swarming immobilized tanks?

Survival was never an objective. Destroying the enemy is. They're raiding, so if both sides have to abandon ship, our boys have home turf advantage (Plus the whole valuable soldiers and materiel versus 'dezgra fools who couldn't purge a bunch of dishonourable surats' calculus). Mutual destruction is acceptable.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Those were some incredibly lucky rolls by the Panther and Partisan there to get all those Chances for Motive System Damage and then immobilizing the Mars. It turned to present its stronger rear armor and is now stuck facing that direction, so only it's turreted weapons matter anymore. PTN's dice have taken much from GoonRCT this match, but I guess these past couple of rounds have proved that they can also give when you guys really need it, and boy did you really need it these last couple of rounds... Shame the Panther had to buy it in return, but it was more or less inevitable after the Mars let it stand up due to Clanner HONURE rules and waited until the mech took another shot at it.

And the only thing left on its side of the board is a Partisan with one turn of ammunition left for its Autocannons if it fires them all, so I guess it's all for the best. That tank should probably try to deal with the remaining Sylph Star Commander there with one point of armor left that's shooting up the MASH (how many turns will it need to kill that thing anyway?), but with the Partisan's much reduced movement profile and the one point of structure left in its frontal plate, I doubt it'll be able to kill it off before getting exploded by the Sylph bounding over to finish it off or from a lucky hit from the Mars' turret weapons. Maybe time to turn around again (if you can with the crappy movement available to you) to present your stronger rear armor to the Sylph like you did when you were engaging the Mars and like the Mars tried to this turn, but that risks an unlucky shot from the Mars' turret weapons finding your front and blowing you sky high, negating the whole process. Whatever, do what you think is best in this situation.

While I would've liked to see the Mars taken out in a more explosive manner, it wasn't likely to happen with the assets left to GoonRCT on that side of the map and the armor it had left. An immobilization was probably the best you could ask for, especially with the clarified mission objective success condition. While opening up the turret or frontal armor of the Mars would've been nice, all it would've done is draw this out further with an automatic crew stun on the Mars, and then requiring more damage to be dealt in those sections before the thing would explode, and with it turning to present its rear armor, that likely wasn't going to happen. Also gotta keep in mind the Partisan's remaining autocannon ammo. Really, this was the best GoonRCT could've got. You gotta take what PTN's dice are willing to give you here.

As for the last remaining mobile asset the Horses have on the board, the lucky shot by the Hunter means that the Horned Owl is just another lucky shot to the leg away from being immobilized as well, giving GoonRCT the mission. Good luck to the two tanks over there in hitting that one leg, hope you connect. Just watch out for the Athena's firing lines when setting up shots on the mech though.

Knowing PTN, the writeup following this mission is going to be amazing. So many things goign both wrong and right for GoonRCT, at just the right (or wrong) time...

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

hooman posted:

Immobilised is honestly better as it is mission killed and the vehicles on the left no longer have to worry about it. Hitting the turret would have just stunned it in which case the Partisan would have to deal with it alone and the 4 ac5's would have really struggled.

Speaking of the Partisan I'm not really sure what the Partisan should do. Should I drive towards the (soon to be ace) Sylphs in the hope of distracting them for the single turn it takes to shoot off my remaining 1 structure of front or take more turns of shooting from the Mars to try to drive to the other side of the map (at movement 1 2) to help against the horned owl? I have range 18 on the AC5s but that's quite a few turns of movement away.

As things stand, i'd stay still this turn and shoot the mars with remaining ac ammo and then head towards the slyphs next turn and try to end up where it can move 5 hexes and land in front of you. You might kill the mars, the ac's are going to be useless if the slyphs jump back to 1 hex from you and the mars is unlikely to be able to kill you back. Then when the slyph comes, hose him down with the machine guns and call him a jerk as he kills you and maybe you kill him.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Trading the Panther for the Mars's mobility was a good deal. Now let's not let it go to waste. You've got five turns of fire before the Sylph destroys the MASH - take out the Horned Owl before then and you've won. If the Partisan sticks to the roads it might be able to get in range to support the Hunter and Manticore and help them win the mission, assuming they don't do it before then.

Edit: Also, cluster rounds against the Owl are a must. Even if you don't leg it you might crit its jump jets and hamper its ability to be a jumpy bastard.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Orders:

Movement
Tokugawa
Achieve Zen in Silence

Partisan
Cruise
Advance to 3607
Turn to 3606

Shooting
Tokugawa
Receive enlightenment

Partisan
Fire AC5s at MARS

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

My orders:

quote:

Movement
facing change to 0813 (2MP)

Shooting
fire everything at the Horned Owl

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Being a tank crewman is the reason most people in the Inner Sphere dig holes for a living.

LegendairyBovine
Oct 6, 2014
I thought Inner Sphere peasants dug holes so they could plant quillar and hide from mech jocks?

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

PoptartsNinja posted:

Being a tank crewman is the reason most people in the Inner Sphere dig holes for a living.

oh no :ohdear: :f5:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Sludge Factory: Tactical Update 23

The enemy light `Mech tottered and fell, its pilot either unconscious or dead but an acrid black smoke rose from the gaping rents in the front of the Manticore’s armor. The touch of that fallen `Mech’s large pulse laser for even a fraction of a second was more than enough to turn a man to ash, and trapped in their vehicle’s crew compartment Kashira Kolar and his men would’ve been turned to flaming torches in moments. The Draconis Combine’s standard olive trichloropolyster uniforms were tough, stain resistant, and lasted for decades but they took to flame like an oil slick. The men wearing them wouldn’t have fared much better.

Corporal Ramsay just stared at her primary monitor, her body slumped as though she’d just run a marathon. The comms were silent. Dead silent. Her driver tugged her arm, trying to get her attention. That `Mech was going to stand any moment and do the same to the Hunter.

Basira didn’t respond even when the RCT’s Karnov infantry transports crested the far ridgeline laden with footsoldiers to secure the ground the tank crews had taken.

ACE Mars Assault Vehicle
- Turret twists to threaten rear arc!
- Fires ER Large Laser at Partisan (4 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 light woods = 6): rolled 11, hit Rear (6/16 armor remaining)!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Partisan (4 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 light woods = 6): rolled 6, hit Rear (0/16 armor, 0/8 structure remaining)! Vehicle destroyed!

Manticore (LBX)
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Horned Owl (4 base + 4 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 10): rolled 11, hit Left Torso (1/10 armor remaining)!
- Fires LB 10-X Autocannon (Cluster) at Horned Owl (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement - 1 cluster = 7): rolled 12, 6 submunitions hit Center Torso (4/13 armor remaining), Left Arm (8/9 armor remaining), Left Leg (2/8 structure remaining (Crit!)), Left Torso (0/10 armor remaining), Left Leg (1/8 structure remaining (Crit!)), Left Torso (7/8 structure remaining (Crit!))!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at Horned Owl (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement = 10): rolled 9, fails to lock-on!

Hunter 1
- Fires ER Large Laser at Horned Owl (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement = 8): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires LRM-15 at Horned Owl (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement = 8): rolled 9, 12 missiles hit Head (4/9 armor remaining (2 pilot hits!), Right Leg (5/11 armor remaining), Center Torso (2/13 armor remaining)!

Tokugawa 2
- Holds fire!

Partisan 2
- Fires Autocannon/5 at Mars (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods - 4 immobile target = 4): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Autocannon/5 at Mars (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods - 4 immobile target = 4): rolled 8, hit Rear (23/37 armor remaining)!
- Fires Autocannon/5 at Mars (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods - 4 immobile target = 4): rolled 2, miss!
- Fires Autocannon/5 at Mars (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods - 4 immobile target = 4): rolled 8, hit Rear (18/37 armor remaining)!

Athena Combat Vehicle
- Holds fire!

Horned Owl
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Manticore (4 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 Pulse Laser = 5): Rolled 7, hit Front (6/43 armor remaining)! TAC!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Manticore (4 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 Pulse Laser = 7): Rolled 2, miss! (this was another TAC though, 3 2s in a row goddamn)
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Manticore (4 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 Pulse Laser = 7): Rolled 12, hit Front (0/43 armor remaining)! Armor breached! Crew stunned!
- Gains 24 heat, sinks 20!

Sylph Point
- Fires Small Pulse Laser at MASH (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 3): rolled 6, hit (11/50 durability remaining)!

Elementals
- Hold fire!

Zardoz Squad
- Fire Gauss SMGs at Manticore (4 base + 2 range + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 3, miss!

Athram Squad
- Fire Gauss SMGs at Tokugawa (4 base + 4 range + 0 enemy movement - 4 immobile target = 4): rolled 8, 21 troopers deal 10 damage to Front (0/4 armor, 5/6 structure remaining (Crit!)), Front (0/6 structure remaining)! Vehicle destroyed!

End Phase
PTN's Note: I didn't catch this, but a copy/pasta error caused me to lose the crits for the round. Here're the important ones:

Manticore
- Through-armor critical chance in Front! Crew killed!

Horned Owl
- Critical chance in Left Leg! 2 critical hits sustained!
- - Hip damaged!
- - Upper leg actuator damaged!
- No other crits were sustained (the rolling I did for the crit phase was lost due to a copy/pasta error)
- Must pass a 5+ consciousness test: rolled 4, failed!
- Horned Owl failed the piloting test to stand, did 3 damage to Center Torso
- Horned Owl failed a piloting test to avoid pilot damage, 7+ consciousness test.

Player Status:

Opposing Force Status:

Mission Objective:
Capture the Coolant Factory (1/1) Success!
- Objective Update: If either force is reduced to nothing but immobilized units, the other force wins!

Secondary Objectives:
Protect the Mobile Army Support Hospital from detection (Failed!)
Defend the Mobile Army Support Hospital (1/1) Success!
Locate the Clan Ammunition Dump (1/1) Success!
Destroy the Clan Ammunition Dump (0/1) Failed!

Special Rules:
Caustic, Tainted Atmosphere (TacOps p56)
Vehicles suffer an automatic Crew Stunned if armor is breached, Mechwarriors take double damage from cockpit hits.
Point Commanders
As long as they are active combatants, the Mars Assault Vehicle and Epona Pursuit Tank may designate one unit each as an Ace for two turns. New Ace units may not be designated until Ace status expires. Units which opt to remain immobile for at least two turns gain Ace status on the first turn they move. BattleMechs and VTOLs may not be Aces.

After-Action Report:
None of my non-infantry units are able to continue the battle, so I’m going to call things here. Talk about winning by the skin of your teeth! That was very well fought, all of you, and while I would’ve liked to go on for another turn or two but at the same time I probably made the map a little too big and the game lasted about ten turns longer than I was expecting. I will say: I’m really pleased with the new vehicle crit charts in Total Warfare. They really take a lot of the risk out of being a tank and make them much more viable and durable than the old crit charts did.

You know the drill, thread. Pat our players on the back, pick an MVP, and give me a couple of days to write the next bit of plot!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 14, 2015

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

If I read the results right, shouldn't the Horned Owl still be up and running?

E: ah, the copy pasta criticals were what got me confused.

anakha fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 13, 2015

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Oh boy, my plucky Hunter lived to the very end!

Oh, and you have a copy-paste error at the Critical section, they have the crits from last turn, instead of this turn's.

And I've got to say, this was an awesome mission, thank you so much for running it and doing all the work, I had a real blast.
I'm certainly looking forward to my next mission in three years!

My MVP votes are Wasp and Epona, with an honorable mention to the fact that tanks are height 1, denying LOS was super important to the whole engagement.

sheep-dodger fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 13, 2015

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Great job, guys. This has been a really exciting mission, tanks are tough to use and mistakes were made but on the whole I think you can all be proud of yourselves. Good show.

As for MVP's I'm going to nominate Tokugawa #2 for consistently rocking the Clanners worlds, with an honourable mention going to the Wasp and its game-changing shot. As for the Clans, the Mars was a wrecking machine but the Epona was a far more serious threat early on and was crippling units right up until its destruction.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

MVPs: Wasp and Mars

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

anakha posted:

If I read the results right, shouldn't the Horned Owl still be up and running?

He copped two headshots in double-damage pilot-hit country, he's not getting up.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

goatface posted:

He copped two headshots in double-damage pilot-hit country, he's not getting up.

No, he only took one but the fall gave him a third pilot hit. I don't feel like dragging the fight out for a 50% chance to wake up.

If it makes anyone feel any better, I just rolled a '4' for his next-turn consciousness test. Mission over!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I would like to congratulate my new "just barely won the mission holy poo poo everyone died" fellows. Well done! :golfclap:

MVP goes to the Mars and the Partisan.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Magnificent. I love a good knock-down drag-out brawl with approximately half a survivor between both sides. You've done yourselves proud, GoonRCT.

Giving it to the Wasp and the Mars. A little bit of audacity at just the right time and place traded a throwaway scout mech for the most lethal thing on OpFor, and Blake's Blood, was it lethal! How many kills was that at the end for the Mars?

My only, sole and minor regret is that the spheroids came out ahead of the Clans.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

With a record like this, you should start running XCOM games.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
MVP to the Mars for Not Dying Jesus Christ

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
:woop:

Congrats fellow tank commanders, we did it, just, barely. Shows just how close it was with that final turn wrecking 3 of our tanks.

Opfor MVP: Sylphs a unit that was deployed into our lines in the 3rd turn of the game lived to the very end, spending all of that time preventing us from taking good shots and having to run away from being swarmed. They alone dramatically reduced the effectiveness of the tanks on the right hand side. They might not have done the most damage but they had the most impact on the way the battle took place.

Goon MVP: Wasp crippling a near pristine Athena, one of the biggest remaining threats on the enemy team in a teeny tiny mech. Talk about punching above your weight. Honorable mention to the Manticore/Hunter combo who held together the left hand side single handedly.

EDIT: Also thanks a lot for running the game PTN, that was a lot of fun and congrats to the other goons playing, it was a pleasure to misjudge movement, line of sight and chances to hit with you.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

OP force MVP: MARS

Player Force MVP: Wasp, for that sweet one shot takedown of the athena.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010
Yeesh, what a bloodbath. Objective secured for the DracSuns, technically, but there's gonna be some cringing at headquarters when they see the casualty list.

Player MVP: Gonna buck the trend and go with the Long Tom. That beautiful shot early on which crippled PTN's hovers relieved a lot of pressure on the eastern flank, and the positioning of the mines along the bridge prevented the Athena from bringing its firepower to bear in a useful way during those last critical turns. Imagine if it could've just driven up and hung out on the hill overlooking the Mars-vs-Everybody fight.

Clan MVP: The Sylphs. For being such small and frail units, they brought some serious pain.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Quite bloody all around, but ultimately a win for the DS. As for MVPs...

OPFOR MVP: Definitely going to go with the Sylphs. Between crippling the Challenger, heavily affecting the movement of all units in their general vicinity, and sheer aggravation they definitely earned their keep.

Player MVP: Also going to go with the Wasp. Effectively taking the untouched Athena completely out of the battle ultimately turned the tide and allowed for the win.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Wasp and Mars I told you guys right at the start that the Wasp would somehow contribute in a meaningful way. Battlemech superiority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Player MVP: the wasp
OpFor MVP: the Sylphs. They had an enormous impact on the players from the moment they unloaded, whether they were shooting or not. They completely dominated the battlefield in the north, forcing the players to maneuver all over the place to avoid them, splitting the player forces in two, and putting the hurt on anyone who strayed too near.

The MARS had a big impact at the end of the game, but remember it spent most of the game trundling along being slow and not taking part in the battle.

• Locked thread