Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I believe it costs an additional MP to move up a height level but not to drop back down one

This is incorrect. Any change in elevation costs additional MP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Oh, yea, it costs 1mp per height difference for each change in elevation up or down.

efb

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Well dammit. I'm a moron. Moving to 1916 instead.

(I suppose I should dig up some rules that would actually apply to the scenario, huh?)

EDIT: Looking back at this post I want to be clear - that's not intended as a knock on PTN or the rules presentation in this thread or in PMs; it's a knock on my own lack of prep.

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 10, 2015

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

So is Comstar not freaking out about Capellans executing civilians right outside, and possibly on their extraterritorial holding?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Well dammit. I'm a moron. Moving to 1916 instead.

(I suppose I should dig up some rules that would actually apply to the scenario, huh?)

EDIT: Looking back at this post I want to be clear - that's not intended as a knock on PTN or the rules presentation in this thread or in PMs; it's a knock on my own lack of prep.

Don't worry, I've literally got a handful of the rulebooks at my feet and I've still never read half of the stuff in them.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

wiegieman posted:

So is Comstar not freaking out about Capellans executing civilians right outside, and possibly on their extraterritorial holding?

I don't think if Comstar had any reservations about civilians being murdered near their holdings they'd be able to operate with the Capellans at all. It's probably only a concern because it's not clear why they're doing it in the middle of a battle with the FWL where they've accused the attackers of assaulting Comstar, especially if the specific form of the assault was a blown up car and hey here's a Capellan who seems to love blowing up cars.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Dolash posted:

Even if the Grand Titan is unpiloted at the moment, there's no way it's unguarded and unlocked. I really doubt Carlos can get into it. His escape may be a problem, though, since at least one Capellan mech suspects something is up with the cars and is blasting them so if he's still alive after Carlos sends his message that's dangerous. If he tells the other Capellans that the FWL's real objective is someone driving around the city and they should go hunting for that instead then operation standing at the edge of town trading potshots might be in trouble.

I guess maybe he could escape in the Dart? But if he's still in his car and gets as far as that mechbay he's probably gotten far enough away to just drive to safety, and the heir to the Free Worlds League should definitely not risk himself for a light mech.

I would expect the Grand Titan is a Comstar security measure. It probably has a pilot on standby who hopped in as soon as the shooting started and will reveal itself as soon as the Comstar security detachment feels itself to be directly threatened or needs to exert its authority through force.

The players would probably do well to stay on Comstar's good side.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

A scale Union dropship. It looks tiny next to the leopards, so I might say "gently caress it" and scale it up.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Hm, looking over it a bit more and playing out some next possible turns in megamek, the less I like converging on the right side of the map for myself and the Cerberus. Next turn PTN can run all but the Thunder behind the height 3 hills, while the Thunder runs up further to 2120. Turn after that he can keep going north using the 1817 dome for cover from us, and eating up the range advantage that we need against units packing AC20s.

Meanwhile we can't really get good shots without being at dangerous ranges, and it's only the Cerberus and I that would be over there anyhow. The Nightstar would be totally out of the game thanks to LoS, and the War Dog would also be limited in what it could do to turn around and get shots. We'd get one turn or so of shooting at the Thunder from outside it's effective AC20 range, and then it would get ugly because it can run right up to the Cerberus, while the trailing Yu Huang and Penetrator guard against just running behind the Thunder.

I think we need to try and keep the fight a bit more centered to avoid getting cornered by those AC20s.

I think the War Dog and I can just back straight up to the 1015/0916 area. If the Cerberus runs to 1213, both of us can put ghost targets on it to help make sure it stays untouched. From there it's easier for us to either stay out of line of sight while the Nightstar joins us, or take shots where we can depending on how PTN moves. It also leaves us more options for flanking/backshots/building cover if needed. And if we fight with our backs against the mystery titan, maybe a stray shot will hit it and piss off Comstar.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Bounce back, use your range advantage, keep pulling them away from the space telecom.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yea, the two heavy hitters are almost helpless if we sit at range 7-8, since it puts almost all of their stuff either out of range or in the long range bracket. The Thunder has that piddly LRM5, and the Yu Huang has the more respectable LRM10+ERPPC.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

goatface posted:

Bounce back, use your range advantage, keep pulling them away from the space telecom.

My one concern with doing this is that our mission isn't "beat the Capellans" or even "survive" - it's "protect Carlos Marik." and if we're staying at range from the ComStar facility - which is where Carlos is going - we're not doing a very good job protecting him. The last thing I want to do is pull back and give the Cappies a moment to start thinking "Hey, why's our remaining Light killing cars? Maybe he's got a good idea there."

As for bringing the Cerebus to 1215, pretty sure I'm not going to have LOS on the Yu Huang from there - the buildings at 1023 and 1123 will block me even if the dome at 1117/118 doesn't. It's a good plan, but alas...

EDIT - wait, sorry, got my 'Mechs mixed up. Can I torso twist far enough to get both arm-mounted Gausses to hit the Yu Huang from there?

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 11, 2015

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
How safe is Carlos once he gets into the Comstar facility? I'm assuming forcibly removing him would be a terrible idea for the Capellans and attacking the facility to prevent him from broadcasting isn't even on the table, but would Comstar actually give a poo poo about him in the first place?

Basically, how important is it for us to get Carlos out?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Voyager I posted:

How safe is Carlos once he gets into the Comstar facility? I'm assuming forcibly removing him would be a terrible idea for the Capellans and attacking the facility to prevent him from broadcasting isn't even on the table, but would Comstar actually give a poo poo about him in the first place?

Basically, how important is it for us to get Carlos out?

The HPG is, as I understand it, extraterritorial; it's considered Comstar Territory. If Comstar wanted to say "gently caress you, Capellans, you don't get to come in here and take Carlos away, also you shot at our building and now we're pissed and will atomize you" then they damned well can. They're under no obligation to do so - in fact, as players we know that Comstar is kind of dicking over the FWL right now - but they almost certainly (I hope) will simply because allowing the Capellan Confederation to violate Comstar territory sets a really ugly precedent that they've got no real interest in.

(e: someone with more knowledge of the fluff should please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but hey, Comstar's a religion, right? Churches have been offering Sanctuary for millennia now)

That said, it's all moot right now given that he's not in the building yet - and honestly we can't yet be certain that they'll even let him in the door. Hopefully we'll know one way or the other next turn. Getting him back out might be a bitch, depending on how things go, but that's a bridge we haven't reached yet.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
There's also that while ComStar at the higher levels might be out to dick over the FWL right now, it's not exactly a given wether the little guys here are all that wise to that.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yea, that's a good point. If we do need to get down there though, we're still in a decent position to do so if we all group up around the Titan's hangar this turn. The Nightstar is going to have to come up and join us too though, if that's the case.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

The HPG is, as I understand it, extraterritorial; it's considered Comstar Territory. If Comstar wanted to say "gently caress you, Capellans, you don't get to come in here and take Carlos away, also you shot at our building and now we're pissed and will atomize you" then they damned well can. They're under no obligation to do so - in fact, as players we know that Comstar is kind of dicking over the FWL right now - but they almost certainly (I hope) will simply because allowing the Capellan Confederation to violate Comstar territory sets a really ugly precedent that they've got no real interest in.

(e: someone with more knowledge of the fluff should please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but hey, Comstar's a religion, right? Churches have been offering Sanctuary for millennia now)

That said, it's all moot right now given that he's not in the building yet - and honestly we can't yet be certain that they'll even let him in the door. Hopefully we'll know one way or the other next turn. Getting him back out might be a bitch, depending on how things go, but that's a bridge we haven't reached yet.

Comstar won't let the Capellans get to Carlos, they'll probably just kill him themselves for using their precious HPG without their permission. Of course they'll never admit to the deed, it'd all be the Capellans fault, and to ensure that everyone believes such they'd eliminate anyone who could say otherwise. So having Comstar worry about someone in the HPG is not going to turn out well for you at all.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Shooting HPG is bad, comstar is not going to be amused at all, they might be dicking over the mariks but they cannot stand having their untouchabiltiy violated without a major asskicking to the violators being handed out

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Cimbri posted:

Comstar won't let the Capellans get to Carlos, they'll probably just kill him themselves for using their precious HPG without their permission. Of course they'll never admit to the deed, it'd all be the Capellans fault, and to ensure that everyone believes such they'd eliminate anyone who could say otherwise. So having Comstar worry about someone in the HPG is not going to turn out well for you at all.

Who says he's using it without permission? I'd think the heir to a Great House ought to be able to walk in and say "Hey, guys, put it on House Marik's tab" without too much trouble.

The whole point to getting the message out is to say "Hey, FWL, there are very few Capellans here and this world is ripe for reconquest - plus it's a world we really want to reconquer, on account of how it's got boatloads of factories and such. Send the troops to link up with the guys we've got stranded here." I doubt Carlos Marik - a guy who 'counts survival as a win,' as PTN put it in the mission's opening fluff - would be putting together a plan where "I get tortured to death by Comstar" is an integral component.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Honestly, the more the Capellans tick Comstar off the less likely Carlos is going to find any bureaucratic resistance to his urgent request.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

Who says he's using it without permission? I'd think the heir to a Great House ought to be able to walk in and say "Hey, guys, put it on House Marik's tab" without too much trouble.

The whole point to getting the message out is to say "Hey, FWL, there are very few Capellans here and this world is ripe for reconquest - plus it's a world we really want to reconquer, on account of how it's got boatloads of factories and such. Send the troops to link up with the guys we've got stranded here." I doubt Carlos Marik - a guy who 'counts survival as a win,' as PTN put it in the mission's opening fluff - would be putting together a plan where "I get tortured to death by Comstar" is an integral component.

Except that Comstar has been deliberately losing Marik phone calls and just generally dicking over Marik as much as they can without completely tipping their hand, and the entire point of this mission is to allow Marik to send out a message without Comstar checking it by causing a lot of chaos at the time of the sending. Or did I read the background of the mission completely wrong?

Edit: Actually I should probably just see what happens.

Cimbri fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jul 11, 2015

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Cimbri posted:

Except that Comstar has been deliberately losing Marik phone calls and just generally dicking over Marik as much as they can without completely tipping their hand, and the entire point of this mission is to allow Marik to send out a message without Comstar checking it by causing a lot of chaos at the time of the sending. Or did I read the background of the mission completely wrong?

Edit: Actually I should probably just see what happens.

While all of this is true, Comstar has been dicking over the FWL specifically to keep them faring poorly in their war with the New Rim Worlds Republic; a message that tells the FWL "Hey I know you've got some poo poo going on with the NRWR but seriously, get over here and kill some Capellans, guys" is probably going to be marked URGENT and sent with all haste - because if the FWL bites (which, with Carlos on the ground, they sort of have to), then every dude they send to fight the Capellans is one less dude fighting the NRWR.

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006
It's worth noting that the Comguards usually operate in mixed units of six, so anyone shooting that facility might awaken an angry beehive of nearby Mechs or tanks (or better yet, Purifiers at night :suicide:) in addition to having their space phone service unplugged.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
36-40 Capellan `Mechs :tinfoil:
12 Free World `Mechs
6 ComStar `Mechs

There's a reason not annoying ComStar is only a secondary objective.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I don't know exactly how seriously Battletech takes the royal succession, but wouldn't the most important strategic concern on the planet be the heir of the FWL? If this were Giant Robot Game of Thrones, capturing him would be a coup for the Capellans and give them major leverage in negotiations.

The intersection of feudal politics and space empire/mech combat stuff is still one of the most fun aspects of Battletech to me. I'd love it if some 4x space game stitched on Crusader Kings 2's aristocracy management. That "First Lord" Battletech grand strategy idea PTN floated really deserves to get made.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Dolash posted:

I don't know exactly how seriously Battletech takes the royal succession, but wouldn't the most important strategic concern on the planet be the heir of the FWL? If this were Giant Robot Game of Thrones, capturing him would be a coup for the Capellans and give them major leverage in negotiations.

That really depends on the Great House Lord in question, their attitude towards said heir and the legal rules governing succession. For instance, the Kuritans and Davions practice fairly strict primogeniture, while Mariks and Steiners technically only have an heir to the Duchy of their capital planet, and instead can merely "nominate" a candidate for ratification as the Captain-General/Archon to Parliament/the Estates General. So the FWL probably has more latitude in how to approach that than most. The capture of an heir would be devastating to House Kurita because of samurai bullshit, but if you tried to hardball the FWL, they have the option of simply calling for the next person up to bat. I mean, you can always have Parliament confirm another appointment.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Cimbri posted:

It's my understanding that the issue isn't what happens once Carlos is physically inside the Comstar facility, since it's neutral ground and directly antagonizing Comstar is a very bad idea in the big picture, even if the Capellans have the forces locally to pull it off. The snag for Carlos is that the neutral phonebooth is behind a Capellan security checkpoint, and the point of the mission is to disrupt the Capellans enough for him to slip through unnoticed. Comstar is assumed (possibly incorrectly) to be indifferent, meaning they wouldn't care if Carlos got caught at the checkpoint and stuffed into the express van to a torture dungeon, but if he makes it to the front door they also won't care if he phones home, and they absolutely won't tolerate anyone violating the sanctity of their facility.

There's no way for Carlos and whatever handful of dudes might be in the car with him to force Comstar into compliance if they're overtly hostile and avoiding antagonizing them is a secondary objective.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Dolash posted:

The intersection of feudal politics and space empire/mech combat stuff is still one of the most fun aspects of Battletech to me. I'd love it if some 4x space game stitched on Crusader Kings 2's aristocracy management. That "First Lord" Battletech grand strategy idea PTN floated really deserves to get made.

Well see, FWL is the NO YOU SHUT UP faction, they are in a constant state of infinite civil wars against themselves which is good because they are also the richest faction of all battletech... so taking a marik heir is utterly pointless.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

AtomikKrab posted:

Well see, FWL is the NO YOU SHUT UP faction, they are in a constant state of infinite civil wars against themselves which is good because they are also the richest faction of all battletech... so taking a marik heir is utterly pointless.

Ironically, the one faction that could actually get some mileage out of grabbing a Marik heir is probably... Comstar.

:tinfoil:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
House Marik's solution to succession crises are pretty much the same as the Eastern Roman Empire's. Make more kids. Maybe one will live.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
The FWL is Space Byzantium? That makes so much sense.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Scintilla posted:

The FWL is Space Byzantium? That makes so much sense.

The obsession with purple, eagles and infighting didn't tip you off?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Behind Enemy Lines: Tactical Update 8

Precentor Garvey Valdmira barely flinched as the side “adepts only” door to the transmission station’s lobby burst open. A young man in tasteful but understated civilian clothing forced his way past an alarmed guard. The guardsman’s hand dropped to his hip, fumbling at the buttons for his pistol holster. The Precentor held up his hand, forestalling the surprised guard and likely saving their unlikely visitor’s life.

Their guest shouldered his way through the throng of frightened businessmen who’d hunkered down in the lobby to wait out the unexpected `Mech battle. Garvey stepped forward to meet him, his lips curled into a wry smile beneath his pencil moustache.

“Forgive the guards,” Garvey offered, shaking the man’s hand. He tapped a booted foot against the bare marble floor, “We would’ve laid out the plush carpeting if we’d known you were coming.”

“Thank you, Precentor,” Carlos Marik glanced back the way he’d come. “I’m afraid I can’t stay. I have a message to send. It’s not long, but we should be able to afford--”

“You needn’t worry about the price,” Garvey’s smile widened. “I’ll comp this one. I assume you’ve already made a recording? Will you be wanting a full verigraph?”

Carlos seemed stunned—exactly the reaction Garvey had been hoping for. The young heir-elect stammered for a few moments before admitting, “Yes. And yes, a verigraph would be good.”

“Wonderful!” Garvey clapped his hands, turning to lead Carlos towards the rear of the facility. He called out to an acolyte in passing, “Acolyte Jiminez, start the HPG charging sequence! This transmission won’t be waiting for the normal weekly batch. We’ll be transmitting his message the instant our visitor has finished the gene-sequencing.”

Movement Phase
War Dog (Player)
- Generating Ghost Targets on Cerberus (4 base + 2 ECM Tuning = 6): rolled 7, succeeds! MOS: 1

Maelstrom (Player)
- Generating Ghost Targets on Cerberus (4 base + 2 ECM Tuning = 6): rolled 9, succeeds! MOS: 3

Shooting Phase
War Dog (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 1 heat, sinks 20!

Nightstar (Player)
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Yu Huang (4 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 dusk = 11): rolled 11, hit Right Arm (14/29 armor remaining)!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Yu Huang (4 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 dusk = 11): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires ER PPC at Yu Huang (4 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 dusk = 11): rolled 8, miss!
- Gains 17 heat, sinks 28!

Maelstrom (Player)
- Target destroyed!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 34!

Cerberus (Player)
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Yu Huang (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 dusk = 11): rolled 10, miss!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Yu Huang (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 dusk = 11): rolled 12, hit Right Torso (13/28 armor remaining)!
- Gains 4 heat, sinks 30!

Sha-yu
- Fires ER Large Laser at Car (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 dusk = 8): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires ER Large Laser at Car (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 dusk = 8): rolled 10, hit (0/1 structure remaining)! Vehicle destroyed!
- Gains 25 heat, sinks 26!

Yu Huang
- Attempts to resist Ghost Targets (3 base + 3 Highest MOS = 6): rolled 12, succeeds!
- Fires ER PPC at Cerberus (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 dusk = 10): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires LRM-10 at Cerberus (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 dusk = 10): rolled 9, miss!
- Gains 21 heat, sinks 26!

Thunder
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 22!

Penetrator
- Fires ER Large Laser at Nightstar! Target Out of Range!
- Gains 14 heat, sinks 24!

Jinggau
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 26!

End Phase
Yu Huang
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (3 base + 1 massive damage = 4): rolled 9, succeeds!

Next Turn’s Movement Phase
Sha Yu
- Must pass a piloting test to avoid a skid (4 base - 1 distance traveled = 3): rolled 6, succeeds!
- Activates ECCM!

Player Status:

Opposing Force Status:

Neutral Status

Mission Objective:
- Protect Carlos Marik (0/1)

Secondary Objectives:
- Damage but don’t destroy the Civillian `Mechbay in hex 0517 (1/1)
- Destroy the Capellan Checkpoint in hex 1418 (1/1)
- - Make it look like an accident (?/1)
- Avoid Antagonizing ComStar (0/1)

Vengeance Counter: 3

Message Counter: 5

Special Rules:
Dusk – This mission takes place at dusk, applying a +1 penalty to-hit. This penalty may worsen if the mission lasts long enough for night to fall.

Escort Mission – This mission has a mobile objective that must be defended.

Orders Due: Midnight Tuesday!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 12, 2015

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Gene sequencing?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
That Sha Yu is going to be a pain in the jacksie, I can just tell.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Well the team can certainly manuever to take only one side or the other under fire, I recommend the smaller group of assholes

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

"Poptartsninja posted:

Nightstar (Player)
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Yu Huang (4 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 dusk = 11): rolled 11, hit Right Arm (14/29 armor remaining)!

Cerberus (Player)
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Yu Huang (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 dusk = 11): rolled 10, miss!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Yu Huang (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 dusk = 11): rolled 12, hit Right Torso (13/28 armor remaining)!

Piloting check for the Yu Huang?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Copy-paste! :argh:

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

Is no one else a bit suspicious at the fact that Space-AT&T is comping a priority transmission like this? That's a lot of C-Bills that Comstar is giving away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Message Counter: 5

So I guess that means we have 5 turns before Carlos finishes phoning home and tries to make his exit.

• Locked thread