Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
You should all have contingencies to unload everything on whoever gets shut down by the tsmp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
Leaving the base makes overextension a dangerous possibility. The player mechs aren't fast.

You have a few turns while the turrets get cleaned up as well.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Affi posted:

You should all have contingencies to unload everything on whoever gets shut down by the tsmp

Doubt PTN would allow that.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Baudin posted:

Doubt PTN would allow that.

It breaks sequence. Shooting effects don't occur until all shooting has finished.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

The Merry Marauder posted:

It breaks sequence. Shooting effects don't occur until all shooting has finished.

It's also pointless since the attacks wouldn't get the advantage of the -4 TN Immobile modifier.

Ideally the way TSEMPing will work is that the Cat will TSEMP something, hopefully shutting it down for a turn, and the next turn you use the ludicrously low TNs that gets you to kill the poo poo out of it. That's why I suggested staying close together, so that if the Cat gets lucky and something gets EMPed, the next turn the other three player mechs (and hopefully the turrets) can all focus on whatever it is and smash it.

The TSEMP isn't incredibly reliable, though, so don't expect that the target will be shut down. Even if both shots hit a fusion powered combat vehicle, there's still an ~36% chance the vehicle will not be shut down, and it's about 50/50 that a mech will be shut down.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
To add my voice to the Maybe Don't Leave The Base Chorus, I bring a terrible lovely MS Paint-splattered map:

Red is solid cover and/or buildings, green is light-woods-equivalent.

You may notice that very little of said cover exists near the base. It'll provide the attackers some cover, but in order for GoonLance to use it they'll have to be several turns removed from the base and its MechBay, and none of the GoonMechs are speedy enough to really adequately maneuver and keep themselves safe with that kind of terrain disadvantage. Jumpy 'Mechs might get some mileage out of hanging out in the 1819 to 2219 region, but even so you're still looking at three turns minimum to get back to your fortifications.

Remember that the most maneuverable machine on your side is the friggin' Catapult for gently caress's sake. They are not fast.

I'm no expert, I grant you, but my read on this scenario is: If you leave the base, you will almost certainly die.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Leperflesh posted:

If you fail to make optimal use of it, you're fools.

Or unlucky. Or I did something unexpected.

There's a reason I titled this mission 'Laager' though.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
It's a siege / hold the line mission. Stay in the fortress, prioritize enemy jumpers, go full TSEMPer-fi when the enemy get in close. Fire missiles all day because you've got reloads. Gausses and TSEMPs explode when critted so maybe go back to the mech bay if the armour covering them starts getting thin. Otherwise dig in and give the Cappies hell.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Chances a player backs down the wall and dies because :battletech:?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Ice Fist posted:

You can't make elevation changes while moving backwards in a 'Mech, so none.

(seriously there were so many times in the last mission that my life would have been so much simpler if I could change elevations while walking in reverse)

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

Kial posted:

Leaving the base makes overextension a dangerous possibility. The player mechs aren't fast.
The gate is a bottleneck for the Capellans trying to get into the base and also for players trying to get back into the base.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

You can't make elevation changes while moving backwards in a 'Mech, so none.

(seriously there were so many times in the last mission that my life would have been so much simpler if I could change elevations while walking in reverse)

I thought this happened already at some point during the LP?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Yeah, a non-standard rule permits it with a PSR, but one elite pilot having their leg snapped off stumbling down a knoll is enough for one LP.

There are optional rules for a colossal variety of cases, but they're usually best left alone when you might have players totally new to the game.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Ice Fist posted:

The wall's also too narrow for BattleMechs to stand on without a PSR, so anyone jumping on top of it is in for a rude surprise. :pseudo:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

PoptartsNinja posted:

The wall's also too narrow for BattleMechs to stand on without a PSR, so anyone jumping on top of it is in for a rude surprise. :pseudo:

A pimp slap backhand from a battlemaster toppling them onto their mechscale siege ladder and the other mechs climbing up from below?

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

PoptartsNinja posted:

Reactive wall armor?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Is there any chance the Capellans will stand at the very edge of the map and snipe the AC-5 turrets with their PPCs and Gauss? They might be in a hurry to crush Comstar, but sparing a few turns to demolish some stationary obstacles unopposed probably wouldn't be the deal-breaker.

I could even imagine it as being some sort of bait, tempting you to come out of the fort and defend your supplementary firepower for the rest of the Capellans to surge forward. Realistically though I don't expect PTN set up a scenario that he himself will 'game'.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Turn three, the long toms roll into the map.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I always forget that LRMs don't actually have the longest range.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

goatface posted:

I always forget that LRMs don't actually have the longest range.

They did when they were new. And they still do if you have ELRMs.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Hey, can those turrets spot for indirect?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Narsham posted:

Technowolf, let me know when you plan to pop someone with the TSEMP and I'll plan to shut them down permanently if you get them shut down temporarily.

Got it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

raverrn posted:

Hey, can those turrets spot for indirect?

They're unmanned, so no.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Laager: Tactical Update 1

The Psalm of Silence’s warning klaxons rang loud and long, startling Adept Kernoff awake. For the past few days his unit had spent several long and grueling days on a twelve-hours-on, twelve-hours-off schedule that always left two BattleMechs at full combat readiness. It was the type of schedule that would’ve shredded the morale of a regular house unit, but Kernoff wouldn’t suffer any but true believers in his command. They bore the strain without complaint simply because Kernoff—and by extension the blessed Blake himself—deemed it necessary.

The knife-faced man rose, his features so sharp they were almost alien. He’d never been strong, physically, not taking to muscle the way many soldiers did. The ascetic lifestyle of a ComStar acolyte was more akin to an ancient Terran monk’s than any modern military, and yet their faith—Kernoff’s faith—could see him through any physical hardship. He grabbed a high-density protein bar from the bedside table, biting into the foul-tasting thing and swallowing it down as he listened for the telltale. After sounding for fully a thirty seconds the Klaxon cut off and started again three times, then fell silent.

For a moment Alexander Kernoff’s vision went red with rage. The enemy was fifteen minutes out—they had advanced scouting teams in the field and should’ve had at least an hour’s notice if not more. That told him either the infantry patrols had been wiped out before they could transmit, or they’d run off. They hadn’t had enough infantry to secure the wall regardless, but the first warning shouldn’t have come from one of the close-in scouting teams. Kernoff wrote them off, mentally. If any member of the long ranged scouting teams survived they were either martyrs or cowards but either way they were no longer ComStar personnel.

He threw on his cooling vest in a rush—Abadan was too distant and exposed to risk any of the Star League-era cooling suits, but the vest suited Kernoff just fine. They still had the Star League’s light-weight neurohelmets and that alone gave them an edge over pilots relying on the bulky, eight-kilo bucket hats the successor states employed. He strode confidently to the slab-like foot of his massive BattleMaster and waited for one of the technical crews to wheel over a scissor lift. One of the Mechbay’s doors ground open with a shriek as Acolyte Arakiel walked her Viking towards the exit. Its stubby, underslung small laser mounts twisted back and forth as she ran her machine through a couple of pre-battle checks. Without real arms or hands to speak of those same small lasers could be used as a crude set of manipulators in a pinch. They weren’t sturdy—but they were sturdy enough.

Kernoff stepped into his machine’s cockpit without a word, the technician and his lift forgotten as it began to retract. If the tech were smart he’d already be rolling clear, Kernoff wouldn’t hesitate to kick the two-ton lift aside if it was still blocking his way by the time he completed his own checklist. His machine blatted at him, waiting for his access phrase.

His hands quivered in anticipation as he quoted, “To see others suffer does one good, to make others suffer even more: this is a hard saying but an ancient, mighty, human, all-too-human principle: Without cruelty there is no festival.”

PTN's note: All enemies enter the field with a +2 move mod

Player Status:

Allied Status

Opposing Force Status:

Mission Objective:
- Hurt them (0/3)
- - Hurt them more (0/6)
- - - Teach them the Word (0/9)

Secondary Objectives:
- Defend the Turret Control Tower (0/1)
- Defend the Administration Building (0/1)
- Keep enemy `Mechs out of the `Mechbay (0/1)

Special Rules:
Construction Zones – Unless the hex states otherwise, all construction zones count as light woods.

Reload Point – ComStar’s technicians are very motivated and have six tons of LRM reloads available. They can reload 2 tons of LRM ammo per turn spent inside the Mechbay. The Legacy isn’t built for quick reloads, but the technicians may be able to supply it with one additional ton of gauss rifle ammo. If only one `Mech is in the Mechbay the technicians will also replace damaged armor plates, restoring the armor on all damaged sections up to the nearest multiple of 5. If a section is already at a multiple of five, its armor cannot be restored.

Hidden Assets – The light autocannon turrets are currently in low-power standby mode. ComStar has always maintained up rumors that the power grid supporting them is incomplete or somehow insufficient to power them. They will not open fire until at least two players request their activation on the same turn. This deception may be detected by enemy units with a Beagle Active Probe.

Orders Due: Midnight Saturday!

Attention, Mechwarriors! You will be receiving a PM / E-Mail soon.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 16, 2015

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
This is a good set of objectives. The players are gonna have fun with this one.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Hidden Assets – The light autocannon turrets are currently in low-power standby mode. ComStar has always maintained up rumors that the power grid supporting them is incomplete or somehow insufficient to power them. They will not open fire until at least two players request their activation on the same turn. This deception may be detected by enemy units with a Beagle Active Probe.

Huh. From a quick glance none of the enemy units actually have a BAP, so either I missed something obvious (which is admittedly pretty likely) or you guys are getting some free close range shots if you wait long enough.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Well, the forums won't let me send private messages at the moment. Going to try to get the pilot primer out ASAP.

Edit: If anyone can send PMs, would you mind telling Narsham and Theantero their turns are starting? Every time I try to send a PM it skips over the screen asking me who I want to PM and just jumps straight to the one telling me they're not accepting PMs.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 16, 2015

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Let Blessed Blake guide your shots and convert these non-believers with your missiles and lasers :black101:

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
The Word of the Blessed Blake is coming to the Capellans at muzzle velocity. :black101:

Grizzwold posted:

Huh. From a quick glance none of the enemy units actually have a BAP, so either I missed something obvious (which is admittedly pretty likely) or you guys are getting some free close range shots if you wait long enough.

Knowing PTN there are probably a dozen 6/9/6 Urbanmechs with BAPs and Stealth Armour waiting in the wings in case the players score a bunch of early headcaps. :v:

Scintilla fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 16, 2015

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Mission Objective:
- Hurt them (0/3)
- - Hurt them more (0/6)
- - - More... MORE! (0/9)
- - - - That's it... I remember that punch! (0/12)
- - - - - Do you remember, Blake?! THE FEEL OF BATTLE! (0/15)

Sorry, my mind goes strange places sometimes.

This is gonna be so awesome. :munch:

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

PoptartsNinja posted:

Well, the forums won't let me send private messages at the moment. Going to try to get the pilot primer out ASAP.

Edit: If anyone can send PMs, would you mind telling Narsham and Theantero their turns are starting? Every time I try to send a PM it skips over the screen asking me who I want to PM and just jumps straight to the one telling me they're not accepting PMs.

Already here Boss!

____

But anyways, I feel like it would be real smart to go eastward, since the mechs they have there are the lighter ones and also the ones with all the Gauss. Also, there are no mesas on the way.

Are those construction cranes abandoned by their crew? And even if they aren't would is still be okay for us to shoot them down from obstructing our line of sight? Lorenerds respond, are the dudes we play as dick enough people to do that sort of thing?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

KnoxZone posted:

Let Blessed Blake guide your shots and convert these non-believers with your missiles and lasers :black101:

^^^^^^^^^^^

Also yea, there's no BAPs to be seen in the current forces... Sooo looks like the players are free to wait until the enemy gets in to optimal range for the turrets instead of having them plinked to death from afar.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Could be a good idea to wait a good long while before activating the hidden assets. Depends on how the start of the match goes ofcourse.

If the players do good: Wait to activate it until the enemy are about to enter the base.

That way its chaos and backshots galore.

If it goes poorly: Activate sooner.

Also consider activating when the vehicles are in range at least. They will be hurt the most.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
A note on the turrets:

They're going to fire on whatever's closest, not whatever's easiest to hit.

They also can't fire at all if the turret control tower gets taken out.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Theantero posted:

are the dudes we play as dick enough people to do that sort of thing?

You don't know any contractors, do you?

Anyway, Kernoff once nerve-gassed Cairo to disrupt an attack. I think he's got it in him.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

The Merry Marauder posted:

You don't know any contractors, do you?

Anyway, Kernoff once nerve-gassed Cairo to disrupt an attack. I think he's got it in him.

Maybe the crews of those cranes have welded themselves into their machines, ready to defend Blessed Blake's fortress to the last.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

You have your objective, Mechwarriors.

Hurt them. Hurt them MORE.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
There's not going to be any hurt for a turn or two though. Need a turn just to relocate, maybe get a shot at the cranes next turn unless the enemy is dumb enough to not take cover :toot:

Also I allow any and all backseat generals to discuss and suggest cool strats they come up with involving my mech at least. My tentative two-minutes-of-thought plan is to first run to 1631, then jump to 1829 next turn and maybe smash one of the cranes if no Cappies show themselves.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Theantero posted:

There's not going to be any hurt for a turn or two though. Need a turn just to relocate, maybe get a shot at the cranes next turn unless the enemy is dumb enough to not take cover :toot:

Also I allow any and all backseat generals to discuss and suggest cool strats they come up with involving my mech at least. My tentative two-minutes-of-thought plan is to first run to 1631, then jump to 1829 next turn and maybe smash one of the cranes if no Cappies show themselves.

Well, there will most certainly be things to shoot at next turn for you- The guys on the right side of the map can't all get to cover from you all in one turn. I would suggest going to 1631 and facing 1731, then on the following turn you can run straight forward up on to your walls at 2129. Remember you don't really want to jump if you can avoid it, since with the number of jets you have, you're hurting your own chances of scoring hits more than you are hindering the enemy shots (No matter how far you jump, you take a +3 to shooting iirc, while I think jumping 4 only gives you a +2 move mod offhand).

e: I wouldn't shoot the cranes in general, either, vs leveling some of the other construction sites. Yea, the cranes can block LoS, but, that also means that's one fewer enemy shooting at you if they're hiding there. The other construction sites function as light woods, however. So you can have enemy mechs sit in them and be harder to hit while still being able to shoot at you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

PTN: any chance the comstar mechs have at least one ton of Swarm or Swarm-I per launcher. They are gonna need that poo poo for those tanks. And can they hotswap a ton real quick if they don't?

• Locked thread