Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadGamer
Jul 10, 2001

I embrace the gay community
Here are my orders as they stand now for the Viking

1. Dump MG ammo
2. Move to 1028, Move to 1128, Turn towards 1228, Torso Twist to face 1227
3. Fire 2x LRM20, 1x LRM15 at Crane at 1515

Questions/Comments? I'm going to assume the crane has 40 hitpoints. if it has less than that, I might split fire.

PTN: approximately how many hitpoints does the crane have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

MadGamer posted:

Here are my orders as they stand now for the Viking

1. Dump MG ammo
2. Move to 1028, Move to 1128, Turn towards 1228, Torso Twist to face 1227
3. Fire 2x LRM20, 1x LRM15 at Crane at 1515

Questions/Comments? I'm going to assume the crane has 40 hitpoints. if it has less than that, I might split fire.

PTN: approximately how many hitpoints does the crane have?

:confused:

Edit: nm I sorta get it now.

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Sep 19, 2015

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

MadGamer posted:

1. Dump MG ammo
Why are you dumping the ammo?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Ardlen posted:

Why are you dumping the ammo?

So he doesn't blow the gently caress up when its critted.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Viva Miriya posted:

So he doesn't blow the gently caress up when its critted.

The ammo is in a CASE'd side torso with half of his LRM ammo. A crit in that torso will either blow half or a quarter of his firepower off, regardless of the presence of another half ton of ammo.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

The ammo is in a CASE'd side torso with half of his LRM ammo. Dumping it won't affect much.

I mean if he can dump it for a turn with no LoS on him or ask PTN to leave the bins empty that would also save trouble. Pilots preference. Also the LRM ammo will get used. The machinegun ammo won't.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Oh yeah who was MVP for Opfor and players last game?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Empty bins are still valid crit targets IIRC. In that case it's actually beneficial.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
At some point the OpFor is going to be filing into a murderbox chokepoint at you. The MGs may actually get a moment to shine, especially if you've managed to open holes in any of them before they get there.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Voyager I posted:

At some point the OpFor is going to be filing into a murderbox chokepoint at you. The MGs may actually get a moment to shine.

They aren't worth the potentially explosive crit slot at all.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Voyager I posted:

At some point the OpFor is going to be filing into a murderbox chokepoint at you. The MGs may actually get a moment to shine, especially if you've managed to open holes in any of them before they get there.

Honestly if they're close enough to be in MG range they're probably close enough for kicking. And kicks from a 90-ton assault mech hurt a lot.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Scintilla posted:

Honestly if they're close enough to be in MG range they're probably close enough for kicking. And kicks from a 90-ton assault mech hurt a lot.

You know what hurts worse than a kick from a 90 ton assault mech? A kick from a 90 ton assault mech plus machinegun fire.

Seriously, I know MG ammo is dangerous to have and all but gently caress it, you have CASE. On a mission like this you will almost certainly need all the damage output you can get.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
You can't fire leg weapons and kick at the same time.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

You know what hurts worse than a kick from a 90 ton assault mech? A kick from a 90 ton assault mech plus machinegun fire.

Seriously, I know MG ammo is dangerous to have and all but gently caress it, you have CASE. On a mission like this you will almost certainly need all the damage output you can get.

If he's going to be spending most of his time at the wall, and the wall blocks the legs, and the machine guns are ON the legs, then the mech has a fun mix of exposed ammo and a machine gun that can't be used unless someone either jumps the wall or breaks through the gate: in the former case, running away and shooting someone else is probably better (leaving the jumper to other machines) than fighting a mech designed for close combat. In the latter case, he may as well kick, as things are kinda hosed by that point.

Regardless, it's an understandable decision: CASE may avoid getting him killed, but he's still going to lose the ability to get a good chunk of his mech repaired if the ammo blows. And maybe he can get the mechbay to put the ammo back in if the MG becomes a logical weapon to use?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

thetruegentleman posted:

If he's going to be spending most of his time at the wall, and the wall blocks the legs, and the machine guns are ON the legs, then the mech has a fun mix of exposed ammo and a machine gun that can't be used unless someone either jumps the wall or breaks through the gate: in the former case, running away and shooting someone else is probably better (leaving the jumper to other machines) than fighting a mech designed for close combat. In the latter case, he may as well kick, as things are kinda hosed by that point.

Regardless, it's an understandable decision: CASE may avoid getting him killed, but he's still going to lose the ability to get a good chunk of his mech repaired if the ammo blows. And maybe he can get the mechbay to put the ammo back in if the MG becomes a logical weapon to use?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

thetruegentleman posted:

And maybe he can get the mechbay to put the ammo back in if the MG becomes a logical weapon to use?

Nope.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
I guess it makes a bit of sense. But machineguns have proven fairly effective with the permanent ACE status. Also it's not very metal.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Personally I would keep the MG ammo. If it were a single MG I could understand it, but the Viking has 4 of them. It probably won't get used much, but coupled with the small lasers that is pretty significant damage/critseeking potential against a close target. Even with Ace a 3/5 assault is going to have real problems making space against a faster mech if it sticks to the Viking.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 19, 2015

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

I was training an agent who barely needed any attention today, so have some pen doodles of ten `Mechs. See how many you can identify!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I was training an agent who barely needed any attention today, so have some pen doodles of ten `Mechs. See how many you can identify!

Let's see... Timber Wolf, ???, ???, Mad Dog, ???
Spider, Hatchetman, Catapult, Hunchback IIC, ???

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I think #2 is an Atlas.

Edit: Also the Catapult may be a Catapult II since it seems to have pronounced torso guns.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Two of Berryjon's guesses are wrong.

Well, one's wrong, the other's in the wrong place.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Bottom left is a firemoth. I feel like the Clan invasion designs are by far the best-looking robots that weren't ripped directly from an 80's anime.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Scintilla posted:

I think #2 is an Atlas.

Edit: Also the Catapult may be a Catapult II since it seems to have pronounced torso guns.

I thought so too, but I couldn't place the gun on the right Shoulder. That AC20 in the hip is very telling. Let me check Sarna for a moment...

{elevator muzac}

Not seeing it. The Akuma has the missile rack on the other shoulder. Anything else match that profile, you think?

And looking at it, the Spider is actually the third Mech on the first row. The shoulder spikes are a better indicator.

So currently:

Timber Wolf, (Atlas?), Spider, Mad Dog/Vulture, ???
???, Hatchetman, Catapult (II?), Hunchback IIC, ???

With the notation that PTN has said that one of these guesses is wrong.

EDIT:

Octatonic posted:

Bottom left is a firemoth. I feel like the Clan invasion designs are by far the best-looking robots that weren't ripped directly from an 80's anime.

I can see that!

quote:

Timber Wolf, (Atlas?), Spider, Mad Dog/Vulture, ???
Firemoth, Hatchetman, Catapult (II?), Hunchback IIC, ???

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

Upper right looks kind of like one of the 3060 Liao 'mechs or maybe a Huron Warrior, and bottom right looks like a Longbow?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Don't dump the machinegun ammo, 4 machine guns if you can't quite close to kick range is worth it.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Can you dump partial amounts of ammo? Cuz You don't need 1000 rounds.

You may want like, twenty to fifty tho.

Especialy of those tanks have infantry help our apcs arriving in later waves.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Mad Cat, Atlas*, Spider**, Vulture, Assassin??
Dasher***, Axman**** Catapult, Hunchback IIc, Crusader*****

*Satellite dish on it's head, big shoulders, it's an Atlas.
**Check the back fins and the huge jump it's doing, dudes, that's clearly a Spider
***Briefly thought it was a Reseen Locust, then looked at the legs
****Two shoulder-mounted missile drums, not a single chest-mounted AC, so an AXM, not HCT
*****It's got missile launchers around its fists and SRMs shooting out of its legs.

Pretty sure I went 9/10

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 20, 2015

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

PoptartsNinja posted:

Bottom right looks like the Phalanx destroid from Macross. What mech was that design turned into?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
No one's gotten #5 It's a `Mech we've actually seen over the course of the LP or identified the second `Mech in #3

berryjon
May 30, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

No one's gotten #5 It's a `Mech we've actually seen over the course of the LP or identified the second `Mech in #3

#5 can't be the Huron, the thing behind the head is shaped wrongly.

As for the second one in #3, I though it looked like Battle Armor, and ignored it. Humanoid, jumpy, two rectangular protrusions over the shoulders... not ringing any bells.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

5's a Vapor Eagle/Goshawk. It's got a distinctive head.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

berryjon posted:

#5 can't be the Huron, the thing behind the head is shaped wrongly.

As for the second one in #3, I though it looked like Battle Armor, and ignored it. Humanoid, jumpy, two rectangular protrusions over the shoulders... not ringing any bells.

The second mech in #3 looks like a Jenner. Missile stubs/no arms, jumps, big round body.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

T.G. Xarbala posted:

5's a Vapor Eagle/Goshawk. It's got a distinctive head.

The T.G. never fails!

The Vapor Eagle's also one of my favorites so it was fairly easy to recreate from memory.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Z the IVth posted:

Bottom right looks like the Phalanx destroid from Macross. What mech was that design turned into?

The Phalanx was turned into the Longbow, but I can't remember if it had a head like that or not.

edit: also, the second mech in #3 looks like some kind of Urbanmech, based on the round body, stumpy legs, and jumpjets.

PBJ fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 20, 2015

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

PBJ posted:

Urbanmech

Winner!

11/10 have been guessed successfully.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PBJ posted:

The Phalanx was turned into the Longbow, but I can't remember if it had a head like that or not.

Longbows (the original art, at least) don't really have heads, they just have a window that goes at the top of their torso. It's kind of like a sun roof.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Laager: Tactical Update 2

A BattleMech on the move kicked up a lot of dust. Even the lightest `Mech packed a lot of mass into a relatively small area and aside from ferrocrete few surfaces could withstand a BattleMech’s footsteps for long. Scrub grasses, lichens, and even more alien grass-like foliage had only a tenuous grasp on the soil. The ComStar Acolyte currently known as Nami had never seen a grass-like plant that wouldn’t be torn up in an instant by a `Mech. Only rain—or a layer of reinforced ferrocrete—would keep the dust at bay, so for those who knew what signs to look for a company of BattleMechs on the march became obvious even without direct line of sight.

“Only eight?” She asked dubiously. The Capellans were brave—and a decade of near constant war had left many of their front line troops some of the best in the Inner Sphere—but common wisdom said attacking a fortified position without at least a 3 to 1 advantage was a recipe for disaster. “Two lances?”

Acolyte Arakiel crested the firing step, his Viking peeking its fox-like body over the wall. The machine guns on its legs swiveled downwards on their turreted mounts to avoid scraping the barrels along the wall. Although the safeties would prevent the Viking from shooting itself in the feet, those weapons were one of the few sets that looked like they could open up on infantry at point-blank range. The intimidation factor alone supposedly made the Viking nearly impervious to infantry assaults—although Nami doubted that had ever been tested in practice. In her experience as a periphery pirate, very little would deter an enemy who was truly desperate.

The boxy missile launchers that comprised the Viking’s arms and ‘ears’ swiveled and roared as Arakiel fired a salvo at something Nami couldn’t see. “Tanks on the road,” Arakiel announced. “Looks like this is a combined-arms company.”

“Tanks?” Adept Kernoff scoffed, his scorn nearly as sharp as his face. “We’ll make them regret taking us lightly.”

Shooting Phase
BattleMaster (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 34

Viking (Player)
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1227!
- Fires LRM-20 at Crane 1515 (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement - 4 target movement = 6): rolled 6, 9 missiles hit (31/40 CF Remaining)!
- Fires LRM-20 at Crane 1515 (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement - 4 target movement = 6): rolled 6, 12 missiles hit (19/40 CF Remaining)!
- Fires LRM-15 at Crane 1515 (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement - 4 target movement = 6): rolled 7, 9 missiles hit (10/40 CF Remaining)!
- Gains 19 heat, sinks 20

Catapult II (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 4 heat, sinks 20

Legacy (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 20

Lao Hu
- Holds fire!

Cataphract
- Holds fire!

Archer
- Holds fire!

Rifleman II
- Holds fire!

Huron Warrior
- Holds fire!

Snake
- Holds fire!

Helios
- Holds fire!

Wolverine
- Holds fire!

Von Luckner
- Holds fire!

Brutus
- Holds fire!

Brutus (PPC)
- Holds fire!

Demolisher (Gauss)
- Holds fire!

Player Status:

Allied Status

Opposing Force Status:

Mission Objective:
- Hurt them (0/3)
- - Hurt them more (0/6)
- - - Teach them the Word (0/9)

Secondary Objectives:
- Defend the Turret Control Tower (0/1)
- Defend the Administration Building (0/1)
- Keep enemy `Mechs out of the `Mechbay (0/1)

Special Rules:
Construction Zones – Unless the hex states otherwise, all construction zones count as light woods.

Reload Point – ComStar’s technicians are very motivated and have six tons of LRM reloads available. They can reload 2 tons of LRM ammo per turn spent inside the Mechbay. The Legacy isn’t built for quick reloads, but the technicians may be able to supply it with one additional ton of gauss rifle ammo. If only one `Mech is in the Mechbay the technicians will also replace damaged armor plates, restoring the armor on all damaged sections up to the nearest multiple of 5. If a section is already at a multiple of five, its armor cannot be restored.

Hidden Assets – The light autocannon turrets are currently in low-power standby mode. ComStar has always maintained up rumors that the power grid supporting them is incomplete or somehow insufficient to power them. They will not open fire until at least two players request their activation on the same turn. This deception may be detected by enemy units with a Beagle Active Probe.

Orders Due: Midnight Tuesday!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 20, 2015

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

TheParadigm posted:

Can you dump partial amounts of [MG] ammo? ... those tanks [might] have infantry help ...

PoptartsNinja posted:

The machine guns on its legs swiveled downwards on their turreted mounts to avoid scraping the barrels along the wall. Although the safeties would prevent the Viking from shooting itself in the feet, those weapons were one of the few sets that looked like they could open up on infantry at point-blank range ... “Looks like this is a combined-arms company.”

I dunno how this seems to people that actually know what they're doing, but to me this is PTN advising you keep at least some MG ammo, and that you're gonna get swarmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
You dump everything in a slot, there's no half-measures. I wouldn't bother, anyway.

Of course, folks seem to think going outside the walls is a good idea, so go nuts?

• Locked thread