Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I know mod support was specifically excluded for the initial release but that's probably the single thing that's most important to me in the end, given the potential community support a real turn based battletech game would (will) see.

I mean just look at everything that was done with MW4 or MW:LL. If they give us a good base to start with, then the potential is absolutely fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Gwaihir posted:

I know mod support was specifically excluded for the initial release but that's probably the single thing that's most important to me in the end, given the potential community support a real turn based battletech game would (will) see.

I mean just look at everything that was done with MW4 or MW:LL. If they give us a good base to start with, then the potential is absolutely fantastic.

It's a bit of a stretch, but I'm hoping that if this game takes off then maybe a sequel or expansion down the road might have proper modding tools added.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

As long as I can still cram as many UAC/2s into an assault mech as PTN did (assuming that TACs are a thing that remain) I'll be happy. I've wanted to try that since that mission.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The more I think about it, the more I think that maybe "custom loadouts" aren't the same as "modding" and there's more hope for it :ohdear:

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Chronojam posted:

The more I think about it, the more I think that maybe "custom loadouts" aren't the same as "modding" and there's more hope for it :ohdear:

"Choose from over twenty-five 3025-era Inner Sphere 'Mech chassis, and configure the weapon loadout, armor, heat sinks, and paint scheme for each. If you want to dive even deeper, tweak their engine, gyros, actuators, and shock absorbers - all of which will impact the 'Mech’s battlefield performance in different ways."

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Olothreutes posted:

As long as I can still cram as many UAC/2s into an assault mech as PTN did (assuming that TACs are a thing that remain) I'll be happy. I've wanted to try that since that mission.

UAC/2s won't even exist yet. And :krakken: is a stock design once they wind up making the inevitable 3050 expansion.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

They also probably won't show up for many years after that happens. It's a second-line machine after all, we didn't start seeinv many of those before TRO:3058. Then there was 3060 where it was almost exclusively second-line Homeworld Clan machines because why not, we'd never seen those guys before.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Pussy Cartel posted:

"Choose from over twenty-five 3025-era Inner Sphere 'Mech chassis, and configure the weapon loadout, armor, heat sinks, and paint scheme for each. If you want to dive even deeper, tweak their engine, gyros, actuators, and shock absorbers - all of which will impact the 'Mech’s battlefield performance in different ways."

I was thinking more along the lines of being able to relatively easily add in weapons that aren't already there, like duplicating a PPC to have a Snub-Nose PPC

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

So I've never actually had any real experience with BattleTech outside of this thread and a demo game I played at PAX East earlier this year in March, but I'm still pretty hype for this game. Probably because I've been reading this thread so much.

Maybe if my New York Comic Con check clears before this Kickstarter is over (con is in a week and a half; getting paid to do a con is great, but waiting for the check is not), I'll throw some money its way, since Harebrained Studios hasn't let me down with their Shadowrun stuff (I backed Hong Kong and own the other two games as well), so I want to play this as well, as this thread had spiked my interest in the universe.

Don't mind the single player focus, though I really hope we at least get to Stage 3 for the open ended campaign. I couldn't care less about multiplayer, and HBS is good at their single player campaign stuff, as evidenced by their Shadowrun games, especially Dragonfall and Hong Kong.

Probably just gonna do to the basic game providing reward tier if the money comes through in time, as I'm not all that interested in the soundtrack, and while I can read Stackpole's books, they're still a pain to get through. They were easier when I was young and devoured his Star Wars stuff, but I can't really read his BattleTech stuff without nitpicking at his prose anymore, partially thanks to this thread and everyone picking him apart earlier in it. Oh well...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 30, 2015

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

3025's pretty much the core stuff but if the plot goes where I suspect it might finding a Star League Cache with a gauss rifle or w/e wouldn't be out of the question.

'Race for the Star League Cache' is the quintessential 3025 plot.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Alchenar posted:

'Race for the Star League Cache' is the quintessential 3025 plot.

And maybe you'll find a LAM like your Dad used to have and then you can form a mercenary company and...

(ah, memories. Finding ways to sneak out of the training grounds with the Chameleon made most of that game easy mode...)

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Guys, it's right in the Kickstarter.

This isn't going to be a port of tabletop, they're going to do whatever they need to to make the game fun and enjoyable and that's a stance I can get behind.

To expand on this a little, they greatly simplified pretty much every aspect of Shadowrun when they made the SR: R games. However, it is very important to note that the resulting games still feel very much like Shadowrun. So I'd expect something that's pretty accessible to newbies and lacking in some of the sheer crazy that is falling down because you tried to run on pavement, only to have your pilot be knocked unconscious. Hopefully still captures the stuff you enjoy about the franchise though.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I would guess they aren't promising mod tools up front as a lesson learned from the original Shadowrun Returns kickstarter. One thing I really, really like about how HBS develops games and how they run their Kickstarters is that they learn from their mistakes.

Spreading their focus on mod tools that early - when trying to make their first Shadowrun game - probably detracted from the final product overall. The finished campaign wasn't really as good as they could do and the mod tools weren't really as awesome as they needed to be. One first (the game) and then the other (mod tools) later is the right way to go.

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 30, 2015

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Tran posted:

To expand on this a little, they greatly simplified pretty much every aspect of Shadowrun when they made the SR: R games. However, it is very important to note that the resulting games still feel very much like Shadowrun. So I'd expect something that's pretty accessible to newbies and lacking in some of the sheer crazy that is falling down because you tried to run on pavement, only to have your pilot be knocked unconscious. Hopefully still captures the stuff you enjoy about the franchise though.

Yeah, I've been satisfied with the changes that HBS has made to Shadowrun to make it more suited to a computer game. There are some complaints I have, mostly with how they handle cyberware with paper doll slots and the ability for any random runner to splash into magic ability without any consequence or prereqs regardless if they're Awakened (aka has the ability to use magic) or not, leading to things like cybered out Street Sams putting 6 Karma towards Spirit Summoning just to pick up a shamanic spirit totem for their mechanical effects, which rubs me all the wrong ways fluff wise. Also, lack of customization for weapons, using the tabletop's already present gun modification system.

For the former, I'd much prefer it if we could just pick up all the 'ware a runner's body could handle Essence-wise, provided two or more implants don't conflict with one another, but I could see how that's be a lot harder to program, needing to change the code and descriptions of all the available implants. But I really want to run my fractional essence cybered up Street Sam like I do on tabletop, rolling 15+ dice to shoot some corp motherfucker with my customized assault rifle firing on full auto with the recoil dampened because of its mods.

For the latter, you'd probably have to restrict buying magical attributes to any character who didn't choose them at character creation, but that's bring complaints from people who aren't into the fluff and just want to splash into spells for Haste or the totem.

Regardless of these admittedly minor complaints, I've had fun with HBS' Shadowrun games, as they're fun as hell and still capture the spirit of running the shadows. They've got great plots, well written characters and missions, and really capture the feeling of the Sixth World, even if it is more of a 1st Edition "Pink Mohawk"-ish feeling in the 2050s, rather than the 3rd Edition 2063 or 4th Ed 2070 I'm more familiar with.

Still really feels like the universe, and that's why I'm confident that HBS could pull the same off for BattleTech even if I don't know the universe as well as I do Shadowrun and they change some of the tabletop rules to make it a better game.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I think there's a case to be made that there's a sweet spot for the source material where not knowing too much about it can be less hindering anyway. Since my Battletech knowledge is mostly related to the Clan era (plus a bit of stuff I've picked up from this thread), I imagine I'll recognize some but not all of the "important" stuff that may come up in the campaign of the new Battletech game.

That could lead to a situation where the mission is basically "Hey, remember <whatever noble ends up important in a few years>?" "... sort of?" "Yeah, well your mission is to PUNCH HIM IN THE FACE!". You'll have enough knowledge to at least get a feel for some of the really high value targets, but not enough to be nitpicking why whatever important guy is on some backwater in the first place. I can see some of the people who know every bit of lore getting irritated when they get a mission to blow up a 'mech factory on a specific planet, and knowing there was never a factory there, or the factory was only there in the Jihad, or something.

The fact that they made almost a million dollars in the first 24 hours is a pleasant surprise. It makes me feel far better about us making to the $1.85 million mark for the open world campaign over the next 34 days. The multiplayer component would be a nice little cherry on top the sundae, but that open world campaign would be great. Especially because it'd make it easier for us to get follow up games in the same engine, due to the background code for mission generation and stuff already being figured out.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
^^^ It'd also make it easier for possible eventual modding tools enabling people to write their own campaigns since you could just write the story and feed some parameters into a mission generator and let the game do the rest!

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
I never played much Shadowrun tabletop to be honest, but from what little experience I had, no game without a AAA budget could do it justice. How the hell can you anticipate a character who shoots a mixture of hallucinogenic chemicals from a homemade pressure pump to 'disable' a group of people, and then go kill them with a chainsaw arm? How do you deal with the guy who wants to replace his dick with a powerdrill so he can bust out of a lowtech prison?

Battletech doesn't have quite that level of flexibility, but if the new game is going with less than 30 battlemechs, then there must be a fair number of battle options the developers want to keep limited.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

thetruegentleman posted:

I never played much Shadowrun tabletop to be honest, but from what little experience I had, no game without a AAA budget could do it justice. How the hell can you anticipate a character who shoots a mixture of hallucinogenic chemicals from a homemade pressure pump to 'disable' a group of people, and then go kill them with a chainsaw arm? How do you deal with the guy who wants to replace his dick with a powerdrill so he can bust out of a lowtech prison?

Battletech doesn't have quite that level of flexibility, but if the new game is going with less than 30 battlemechs, then there must be a fair number of battle options the developers want to keep limited.

The list of battlemechs they have out now is the list they've confirmed so far. I don't see how limiting the number of mechs really limits your battle options any. It's already 3025, so you're going to be limited in weaponry. Adding a different medium mech doesn't radically alter gameplay within those confines. It gives you a different model to put your same guns on. It might move a little faster or slower, or have jump jets or not. It's not suddenly going to show up with EMP cannons and Plasma Rifles and completely bring new mechanics to the game.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Zaodai posted:

I think there's a case to be made that there's a sweet spot for the source material where not knowing too much about it can be less hindering anyway. Since my Battletech knowledge is mostly related to the Clan era (plus a bit of stuff I've picked up from this thread), I imagine I'll recognize some but not all of the "important" stuff that may come up in the campaign of the new Battletech game.

That could lead to a situation where the mission is basically "Hey, remember <whatever noble ends up important in a few years>?" "... sort of?" "Yeah, well your mission is to PUNCH HIM IN THE FACE!". You'll have enough knowledge to at least get a feel for some of the really high value targets, but not enough to be nitpicking why whatever important guy is on some backwater in the first place. I can see some of the people who know every bit of lore getting irritated when they get a mission to blow up a 'mech factory on a specific planet, and knowing there was never a factory there, or the factory was only there in the Jihad, or something.

Yeah, that's how HBS did it in their Shadowrun games, putting in nods to things that people familiar with the setting would pick up on things and see where the plot is going when they run into specific characters or organizations (the Universal Brotherhood being a front for insect spirits in DMS; Harlequin, James Telestrian III, and Hans Brackhaus (aka Lowfyr in metahuman form) showing up just prior to the last mission of the same, showing how seriously poo poo is about to go down; the identity of the dragon at the center of the plot of Dragonfall, plus Lowfyr again showing up in the epilogue, the existence of the Black Lodge; the Kowloon Walled City and the Yama Kings being the heart of the plot for Hong Kong; all of the runs you pull that involve you hitting a facility for one of the AAA megacorps, including Ares, Aztechnology, and especially Renraku and Wuxing in Hong Kong; Horizon being the news outlet that reports things that go down due to the plot of HK, etc).

HBS is very good at weaving background material and characters that you don't need to know who they are in the fluff to appreciate, but are enough of a draw for people who are pretty familiar with the background of the setting. I really look forward to what they're gonna bring for BattleTech and fully expect the open campaign gets funded. Again, couldn't care less about multiplayer, but it'd be a nice bonus, I guess.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 30, 2015

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Multiplayer could lead to "Let's Stream: Let's Re-Enact A Let's Read Of The Warrior Trilogy, Drinking Game Edition" soooo I think you just need to consider the potential here.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Reenacting the Warrior Trilogy is just a grown man punching a child in the face and expecting cheers.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Defiance Industries posted:

Reenacting the Warrior Trilogy is just a grown man punching a child in the face and expecting cheers.

featuring Justin "One Of The GOOD Ones" Xiang Allard

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Laager: Tactical Update 5

Adept Kernoff stared downrange, his crosshairs hovering over the odd, conical shape of a Capellan Huron Warrior. The prototype had been interesting enough to draw ComStar’s attention, with a good mix of long-range weapons it was more than a match for the Davion-made Enforcer. Hollis Incorporated’s frankly baffling decision to use standard heat sinks in the production model had killed ComStar’s interest in the Huron Warrior dead.

The Capellans had commissioned them in large numbers as a potential replacement for the aging Vindicator, but they still fielded far more of that ancient design than any other `Mech. Hollis’s other claim to fame was the Catapult. And a “lost” set of plans ComStar had used to create the Catapult II. Kernoff fired, bracketing the Huron Warrior with shots from his PPCs. Without even needing orders Nami put a Gauss Rifle round straight into its chest. The Huron Warrior’s torso deformed as the armor flexed and compressed to bleed off the kinetic energy of the hit. Bolts and weld-seams gave way and the plates closest to the impact site shattered, sending nearly a full ton of razor-sharp ferro-ceramic shards raining to the ground. The Huron Warrior staggered but kept to its feet.

Kernoff glared at it. It might’ve served Blake’s will superbly if only Hollis hadn’t started celebrating a meter before the finish line.

Shooting Phase
BattleMaster (Player)
- Fires ER PPC at Huron Warrior (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement = 9): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires ER PPC at Huron Warrior (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement = 9): rolled 8, miss!
- Gains 30 heat, sinks 34

Viking (Player)
- Fires Artemis IV LRM-20 at Von Luckner (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires Artemis IV LRM-15 at Von Luckner (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires Artemis IV LRM-15 at Von Luckner (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 9, 9 missiles hit Front (36/41 armor remaining), Right Side (26/30 armor remaining (CfMSD)!
- Gains 17 heat, sinks 20

Catapult II (Player)
- Fires LRM-20 at Von Luckner (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 8, 16 missiles hit Front (31/41 armor remaining), Right Side (21/30 armor remaining (CfMSD)), Front (26/41 armor remaining (TAC)), Right Side (20/30 armor remaining (CfMSD))!
- Fires LRM-20 at Von Luckner (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Huron Warrior (4 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement = 11): rolled 11, hit Right Torso (12/17 armor remaining)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Huron Warrior (4 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement = 11): rolled 10, miss!
- Gains 22 heat, sinks 20

Legacy (Player)
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Huron Warrior (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement = 9): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Huron Warrior (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement = 9): rolled 10, hit Center Torso (7/22 armor remaining)!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 20

Lao Hu
- Holds fire!
- Gains 1 heat, sinks 20!

Cataphract
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 32!

Archer
- Fires ER Large Laser at Legacy (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 11): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires ER Large Laser at Legacy (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 11): rolled 9, miss!
Gains 26 heat, sinks 24!

Rifleman II
- Holds fire!

Huron Warrior
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Catapult II (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 9): rolled 6, miss!
- Gains 3 heat, sinks 11!

Snake
- Holds fire!

Helios
- Holds fire!

Wolverine
- Fires ER Large Laser at Catapult II (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 11): rolled 8, miss!
- Gained 14 heat, sinks 24!

Von Luckner
- Holds fire!

Brutus
- Holds fire!

Brutus (PPC)
- Fires PPC at Catapult II (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 11): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires PPC at Catapult II (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 11): rolled 4, miss!

Demolisher (Gauss)
- Holds fire!

End Phase
Von Luckner
- Chance for Motive System Damage!
- - Minor damage, +1 penalty to driving!
- - No damage!
- Through-armor critical chance!
- - Front Stabilizer Hit! (doubles movement penalty for front-mounted weapons)
- - No damage sustained!

Huron Warrior
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (4 base + 1 massive damage = 5): rolled 9, succeeds!

Player Status:

Allied Status

Opposing Force Status:

Mission Objective:
- Hurt them (0/3)
- - Hurt them more (0/6)
- - - Teach them the Word (0/9)

Secondary Objectives:
- Defend the Turret Control Tower (0/1)
- Defend the Administration Building (0/1)
- Keep enemy `Mechs out of the `Mechbay (0/1)

Special Rules:
Construction Zones – Unless the hex states otherwise, all construction zones count as light woods.

Reload Point – ComStar’s technicians are very motivated and have six tons of LRM reloads available. They can reload 2 tons of LRM ammo per turn spent inside the Mechbay. The Legacy isn’t built for quick reloads, but the technicians may be able to supply it with one additional ton of gauss rifle ammo. If only one `Mech is in the Mechbay the technicians will also replace damaged armor plates, restoring the armor on all damaged sections up to the nearest multiple of 5. If a section is already at a multiple of five, its armor cannot be restored.

Hidden Assets – The light autocannon turrets are currently in low-power standby mode. ComStar has always maintained up rumors that the power grid supporting them is incomplete or somehow insufficient to power them. They will not open fire until at least two players request their activation on the same turn. This deception may be detected by enemy units with a Beagle Active Probe.

Orders Due: Midnight Saturday!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 30, 2015

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You've repeated one of the enemy status cards.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Catapult II (Player)
- Fires LRM-20 at Von Luckner (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 8, 16 missiles hit Front (31/41 armor remaining), Right Side (21/30 armor remaining (CfMSD)), Front (26/41 armor remaining (TAC)), Right Side (20/30 armor remaining (CfMSD))!
- Fires LRM-20 at Von Luckner (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Huron Warrior (4 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement = 11): rolled 11, hit Right Torso (12/17 armor remaining)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Huron Warrior (4 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement = 11): rolled 10, miss!
- Gains 22 heat, sinks 20

Shouldn't the first ER Medium have missed because of the Secondary Target penalty? Errors in the player's favor go their way, but I just want to make sure I have the calculations right for when I get to go again, whenever that is.

Shame about the Battlemaster missing with both its PPCs though. Now it's retreated a bit for now and the tanks are a more temping (and dangerous) target for this turn.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Go, Alexander Kernoff, you evil evil man!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Oh yeah. Whoops.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Zaodai posted:

The list of battlemechs they have out now is the list they've confirmed so far. I don't see how limiting the number of mechs really limits your battle options any. It's already 3025, so you're going to be limited in weaponry. Adding a different medium mech doesn't radically alter gameplay within those confines. It gives you a different model to put your same guns on. It might move a little faster or slower, or have jump jets or not. It's not suddenly going to show up with EMP cannons and Plasma Rifles and completely bring new mechanics to the game.

No clan mechs, no omnimechs, probably no LAMs...I can't help but think that the "what the hell is that?" moments we've seen in this LP, when mechs with new abilities suddenly show up and throw the players through a loop, will be missing from the proposed game. Since surprises like that are something I'd like to see in a singleplayer campaign, far more than a sudden ambush by a lance using weapons and configurations we already know how to deal with, the mech number/ battletech date seems like a worthy concern.

Edit: Looks like Blake's boys are gonna get flanked from the left and the right while the tanks go straight down the middle. Maybe you should focus all your mechs on right flank, then activate the turrets to slow down the left most mechs/surviving tanks? By the time the left mechs reach the gate, you might be able to focus almost completely on them.

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 30, 2015

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

LAMs existed in 3025 but they were incredibly rare, just like mechs with functioning ER PPCs or whatever.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Pound that Von Luckner in to scrap this turn!

The two Brutuses have less threatening armament and the Demolisher is still at longer range. Keeping AC20 carriers out of the compound is going to make your life a hell of a lot easier.

Probably next turn you will have something close enough/tempting enough to unload the TSEMP cannons on.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Nice shot on the Huron. Now pound that Von Luckner into scrap before it starts blowing holes in you.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Are you sure you don't want to see if the Luckner skids off the cliff into the river next turn? I mean, they're super-elite drivers, but it would be pretty funny.

Unrelatedly, Blaine Lee Pardoe, who wrote a fair chunk of Battletech novels (including the Loren Jaffray, Highlander/Death Commando extraordinaire, canon) wrote a history of Von Luckner and the Seeadler.

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 30, 2015

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

thetruegentleman posted:

...no game without a AAA budget could ... anticipate a character who shoots a mixture of hallucinogenic chemicals from a homemade pressure pump ... then go kill them with a chainsaw arm? How do you deal with the guy who wants to replace his dick with a powerdrill so he can bust out of a lowtech prison?
I can't imagine any AAA game caring enough to implement these; AAA games are about as risk averse as they come, precisely because of the huge money invested. Game this stuff does remind me of: Space Station 13, Dwarf Fortress. I'm pretty sure are both labors of love maintained by fairly small teams of devs, and not big well funded hype projects.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

A fairly modest turn, but not a bad start. Blasting the Von Luckner seems like a good use of the turn, is there any reason to keep shooting at the Huron now that it's run off and everyone else is closing in? Seems like that could be an example of PTN rotating mechs into and out of the front lines to take a few hits each and spread damage around.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
If the catapult shuffles backwards one hex to 0928 and the Viking takes its place, then you'll both be at that range-7 sweet spot from the Von Luckner with your LRM's. Sure you'll have to walk, but you'll still cut a +1 from your final to-hit and you'll be hitting it with 7+.

For my part, I thought I might as well help scrap the Von Luckner with my Gauss since it is the most threatening target within medium range (+8 to-hit). I'm just within long range from the Large Laser Brutus with my ER medium too, so might as well slap it as a secondary. However, I fear that all of us shooting at the Von Luckner might be too much focus on a single enemy. So, do you guys think it is a good and necessary move for removal, or unwise overkill?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

thetruegentleman posted:

No clan mechs, no omnimechs, probably no LAMs...I can't help but think that the "what the hell is that?" moments we've seen in this LP, when mechs with new abilities suddenly show up and throw the players through a loop, will be missing from the proposed game. Since surprises like that are something I'd like to see in a singleplayer campaign, far more than a sudden ambush by a lance using weapons and configurations we already know how to deal with, the mech number/ battletech date seems like a worthy concern.

Edit: Looks like Blake's boys are gonna get flanked from the left and the right while the tanks go straight down the middle. Maybe you should focus all your mechs on right flank, then activate the turrets to slow down the left most mechs/surviving tanks? By the time the left mechs reach the gate, you might be able to focus almost completely on them.

You've gotta walk before you can run. Just as they've made more than one Shadowrun game when it proved to be popular, and those have gotten better over time, they'll certainly put out more than one Battletech game. I think getting all the core mechanics down, and getting even inexperienced players into the fold with the first release will serve them far better than just going full throttle and trying to include everything ever.

Part of what makes the batshit crazy stuff we're seeing in the PTN timeline so special and entertaining isn't just the bigger numbers or the random stuff the equipment does. It is the factions that wield it compared to the timeline. Or how soon it showed up. Or even that we've got relative experts here in the thread to explain to us what makes those items so great or so batshit.

If you were a first time player given the full toybox, you wouldn't appreciate any of it, and you'd likely be overwhelmed. We're all lucky to have this thread/community to provide us that experience, even if we hadn't learned it all first hand. It's easy to take it for granted.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
It's not like the tech flat out doesn't exist, it's just extremely rare. You'll probably get your 'oh poo poo' moments when you finally track down some infamous bandit lord only to discover he's piloting a stolen Star League relic with DHS and a functional ERPPC and have special missions to steal an XL Engine or the like. Having very limited access to that kind of rule-altering technology would also add character to your company as a campaign progressed. Instead of having just another 60-tonner, you'd have the one that came with 14 DHS built in that your techs couldn't add or remove and maybe one Gauss Rifle between the company.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Theantero posted:

If the catapult shuffles backwards one hex to 0928 and the Viking takes its place, then you'll both be at that range-7 sweet spot from the Von Luckner with your LRM's. Sure you'll have to walk, but you'll still cut a +1 from your final to-hit and you'll be hitting it with 7+.

For my part, I thought I might as well help scrap the Von Luckner with my Gauss since it is the most threatening target within medium range (+8 to-hit). I'm just within long range from the Large Laser Brutus with my ER medium too, so might as well slap it as a secondary. However, I fear that all of us shooting at the Von Luckner might be too much focus on a single enemy. So, do you guys think it is a good and necessary move for removal, or unwise overkill?

Overkill is good kill. So long as you put in contingency orders to shoot something else if it gets blown up!

It still has 20 armor on all of it's locations, so it's not dead yet, and you want it dead for sure-

If one of you on the right side has a better shot on the Brutus, I think it's reasonable to take it as well, but given the range and threat it's hard to pick anything over the Von Luckner I think.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Gwaihir posted:

Overkill is good kill. So long as you put in contingency orders to shoot something else if it gets blown up!

It still has 20 armor on all of it's locations, so it's not dead yet, and you want it dead for sure-

If one of you on the right side has a better shot on the Brutus, I think it's reasonable to take it as well, but given the range and threat it's hard to pick anything over the Von Luckner I think.

The Brutus has a smaller movement mod so it is easier to hit, but it is in the same range bracket as the Von Luckner. Also, I'm pretty certain that PTN does not accept those kinds of contingencies where you ask to shoot at a different target if your original one dies. I don't think it's even allowed to refrain from shooting if the target dies, which means that overkill results in wasted ammo.

I might be remembering incorrectly though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Theantero posted:

I'm pretty certain that PTN does not accept those kinds of contingencies where you ask to shoot at a different target if your original one dies.

I absolutely do as long as you've fired no weapons at the target beforehand.

I don't accept contingencies to shoot at a secondary target if the first dies part way through your firing sequence (if you want to shoot at two targets you need to declare it right from the start) but I do let you switch targets if your target explodes before I roll any of your dice.

• Locked thread