Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Not all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

PoptartsNinja posted:

The luckiest of tanks.
:v:

Welp, the Von Luckner survived something of a fusillade that would've either destroyed it outright or loaded it down with tremendous Chances for Motive System Damage then, going off of these comments here.:f5:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
If you thought last turn's TAC was lackluster wait until you see this one!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

PoptartsNinja posted:

If you thought last turn's TAC was lackluster wait until you see this one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clo4vUPVtCE#t=3m41

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Laager: Tactical Update 6

Vassago’s systems flashed as targets moved in and out of view. The Capellan Confederation’s advance remained undaunted in the face of the Com Guards’ firepower. His crosshairs hovered over the Imperial purple and gold Von Luckner spearheading the advance of the enemy’s tank lance. Vassago’s missiles were still cycling, the steady ‘clunk, clunk, clunk’ of the loading mechanism as it fed missile after missile into his launch tubes was as reassuring as the electric hum of the massive capacitors for the Catapult’s TSEMP cannons, but all the same he wished they’d reload faster.

The Snake’s autocannon pocked the Viking’s armored hull with small explosions, doing little more than ruining the `Mech’s paint. The Viking’s sloped chest had been designed to deflect the brunt of a shot like that, and several unexploded submunitions glanced off to fall somewhere to the facility’s south. Vassago put them out of his mind even as Arakiel scoffed. Her missile bay doors snapped open as she fired another volley of missiles into the still distant Von Luckner.

“It’ll take more than that to—”

Arakiel cursed as nearly a full ton of the Viking’s convex armor shattered. The design worked well enough against small impacts and infantry weapons but a direct hit from a Gauss Rifle was something else entirely. The distant blister of a Demolisher tank waggled its turret as if saying ‘hello.’ Until recently the Demolisher, like the Von Luckner, had been one of the most feared machines on the battlefield. The swift evolution of the 31st century battlefield had left both murderous, punishing vehicles by the wayside. Unlike the Von Luckner however, the Demolisher’s frame had taken to Gauss Rifles like a noble took to politics. The Demolisher’s reputation as a crew-killer—the venerable tank ran so hot in combat it could bake its gunners alive in a matter of minutes—had given those same crews the impetus to upgrade or field-refit with whatever gauss rifles they could beg, borrow, or outright steal. The resulting refit had done more than make the aging machine comfortable for its crew.

The Demolisher had always had teeth. What it’d never had was range. With a pair of gauss rifles replacing the heavy autocannon, the Demolisher was once again relevant.

Vassago’s lock flashed green as his launchers finished reloading. His thumb hovered on the trigger as he sought the best angle to take his shot. The hair on the back of his neck stood on end—the way it did whenever he fired the Catapult’s TSEMP cannons—and suddenly uncomfortable, he glanced up. His body tensed, thumb stabbing down on the primary target interlock circuit. It wasn’t often one stared down the barrel of a charging PPC. Vassago’s first time, in fact. He jerked his control stick, rocking the Catapult sloppily to the side just as the Brutus nearly hidden behind the armored bulk of the Von Luckner fired on him.

Armor plating on the Catapult’s right breast blackened and exploded as the tank’s PPC caught him less than a meter behind the cockpit. Without his last minute twist, it would’ve caught nothing but transplex, and as tough as the armored glass was it was no match for a PPC.

“Blake’s blood,” Vassago hissed, his body icy cold. The rush of adrenaline brought quiver to his hands that took a moment of concentration to still.

PTN’s notes: Please disregard the yellow movement lines, they’re from last turn. Well, technically this turn, but you know what I mean. I screwed up.

Shooting Phase
BattleMaster (Player)
- Fires ER PPC at Von Luckner (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 11, hit Front (16/41 armor remaining)!
- Fires ER PPC at Von Luckner (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 6, miss!
- Gains 30 heat, sinks 34

Viking (Player)
- Fires Artemis IV LRM-20 at Von Luckner (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement = 7): rolled 7, 16 missiles hit Turret (40/45 armor remaining), Front (11/41 armor remaining (TAC)), Turret (35/40 armor remaining), Left Side (29/30 armor remaining (CfMSD))!
- Fires Artemis IV LRM-15 at Von Luckner (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement = 7): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Artemis IV LRM-15 at Von Luckner (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement = 7): rolled 7, 12 missiles hit Front (6/41 armor remaining), Right Side (15/30 armor remaining (CfMSD)), Left Side (27/30 armor remaining (CfMSD))!
- Fires Artemis IV LRM-15 at Von Luckner (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement = 7): rolled 3, miss!
- Gains 23 heat, sinks 20

Catapult II (Player)
- Fires LRM-20 at Von Luckner (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires LRM-20 at Von Luckner (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 2, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Huron Warrior (4 base + 4 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement = 11): rolled 10, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Huron Warrior (4 base + 4 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement = 11): rolled 7, miss!
- Gains 23 heat, sinks 20! Overheating!

Legacy (Player)
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1928!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Von Luckner (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 2, miss!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Von Luckner (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Brutus (4 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 secondary target = 10): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Brutus (4 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 secondary target = 10): rolled 10, hit Front (29/34 armor remaining)! CfMSD!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 20

Lao Hu
- Holds fire!
- Gains 1 heat, sinks 20!

Cataphract
- Fires ER PPC at BattleMaster (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 light woods + 1 partial cover = 13): automatic miss!
- Gains 15 heat, sinks 32!

Archer
- Holds fire!
Gains 2 heat, sinks 24!

Rifleman II
- Holds fire!

Huron Warrior
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 0416!
- Fires ER Large Laser at Gate 1628 (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement - 4 target movement = 6): rolled 5, miss!
- Gains 14 heat, sinks 11!

Snake
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 0917!
- Fires LB-10X Autocannon (Cluster) at Viking (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover - 1 cluster = 8): rolled 9, 6 submunitions hit Right Torso (30/31 armor remaining), Center Torso (32/33 armor remaining), Right Arm (29/30 armor remaining), Center Torso (31/33 armor remaining), Right Arm (28/30 armor remaining), Left Arm (29/30 armor remaining)!
- Gains 4 heat, sinks 22!

Helios
- Holds fire!

Wolverine
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 0916!
- Fires ER Large Laser at Gate 1628 (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement - 4 enemy movement = 6): rolled 9, hit (132/140 CF remaining)!
- Fires ER Large Laser at Gate 1628 (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement - 4 enemy movement = 6): rolled 7, hit (124/140 CF remaining)!
- Gained 26 heat, sinks 24!

Von Luckner
- Fires Autocannon/20 at Viking (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 11): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires SRM-6 at Viking (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 11): rolled 9, miss!
- Fires SRM-6 at Viking (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 11): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires SRM-4 at Viking (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 11): rolled 12, 2 missiles hit Right Arm (26/30 armor remaining), Right Leg (damage blocked)!

Brutus
- Fires Large Laser at Gate 1628 (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement - 4 enemy movement = 4): rolled 7, hit (116/140 CF remaining)!
- Fires Large Laser at Gate 1628 (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement - 4 enemy movement = 4): rolled 10, hit (108/140 CF remaining)!
- Fires LRM-20 at Gate 1628 (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement - 4 enemy movement = 4): rolled 7, 20 missiles hit (88/140 CF remaining)!

Brutus (PPC)
- Fires PPC at Catapult II (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 9): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires PPC at Catapult II (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 9): rolled 10, hit Head! Edge burned!
- - hit Right Torso (10/20 armor remaining)!

Demolisher (Gauss)
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Viking (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 9): rolled 9, hit Right Torso (15/31 armor remaining)!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Viking (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 9): rolled 6, miss!

End Phase
Von Luckner
- Through-armor critical chance in Front!
- - Flamer malfunctions!
- Chance for Motive System Damage!
- - No damage!
- - Minor damage, +1 penalty to driving!
- - No damage!

Brutus
- - Vehicle immobilized!

Next Turn’s Movement Phase
Cataphract
- Activates MASC!

Player Status:

Allied Status

Opposing Force Status:

Mission Objective:
- Hurt them (0/3)
- - Hurt them more (0/6)
- - - Teach them the Word (0/9)

Secondary Objectives:
- Defend the Turret Control Tower (0/1)
- Defend the Administration Building (0/1)
- Keep enemy `Mechs out of the `Mechbay (0/1)

Special Rules:
Construction Zones – Unless the hex states otherwise, all construction zones count as light woods.

Reload Point – ComStar’s technicians are very motivated and have six tons of LRM reloads available. They can reload 2 tons of LRM ammo per turn spent inside the Mechbay. The Legacy isn’t built for quick reloads, but the technicians may be able to supply it with one additional ton of gauss rifle ammo. If only one `Mech is in the Mechbay the technicians will also replace damaged armor plates, restoring the armor on all damaged sections up to the nearest multiple of 5. If a section is already at a multiple of five, its armor cannot be restored.

Hidden Assets – The light autocannon turrets are currently in low-power standby mode. ComStar has always maintained up rumors that the power grid supporting them is incomplete or somehow insufficient to power them. They will not open fire until at least two players request their activation on the same turn. This deception may be detected by enemy units with a Beagle Active Probe.

Orders Due: Midnight Tuesday!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 5, 2015

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
FFffuuck that could've been so bad.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

And it was the TSEMP carrier too. That was almost very, very bad.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Welp, that's one lucky as hell Catapult pilot.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Guys, guys. You should probably kill something.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Holy poo poo they're close. And they've only immobilized the Brutus. Oh God.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
That wasn't great. Oh well.

Lot of slow moving targets this round.

Demolisher has no move mod.

Brutus has +1.

Huron has + 1

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

RIP Comstar.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Brutus (PPC)
- Fires PPC at Catapult II (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 9): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires PPC at Catapult II (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 9): rolled 10, hit Head! Edge burned!
- - hit Right Torso (10/20 armor remaining)!

That was way too close for comfort. :sweatdrop: :ohdear:

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Those autocannon turrets are starting to sound real good :ohdear:

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

RIP Comstar.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

SynthOrange posted:

RIP Comstar.

Man, honestly maybe this. And I see those points of Edge are new - I almost want to frown and call them unsporting, but to be fair I'm guessing if you were playing this scenario out on a table and had a fourth of your firepower picked off so early like that you'd probably start packing up on the spot. That was a real underperforming round of shooting, 'undaunted' sounds like the right way to describe that tide of Capellans ready to swamp the fort. Even the immobilized Brutus is still in range with plenty of firepower.

So those hidden turrets - maybe give it one more round before turning them on? Assuming that'd put the Capellans right at the gate and give you the most backshots. It looks like they're planning to just advance right up to Comstar and get into the fort itself.

And just to clarify, is the Von Luckner pointing that way because he has more armor on his rear than his face? Can he still use his AC20? It looks like he might actually get to use it.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Everything but the (Now broken lol) Flamer is turret mounted on the Von Luckner.

On the plus side, one of the Brutuses is immobile- That means once you get off the walls it's totally useless, and shots against it gain a -4 to hit bonus.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

To be fair, the Catapult may have survived even without the Edge, since the CapCon forces are only using normal PPCs. It would have breached the armor, but would have only done 1(of 3) internal hits. Admittedly there's basically nothing in the cockpit you want critted, but there's a decent chance it would have stayed in the scenario.

And yeah, you should probably focus down either the Demolisher or the Huron Warrior. In both cases to hopefully take a Gauss Rifle or two out of play ASAP, since those actually can headcap someone in a single shot. Just check your ranges though, as just because they don't have a move mod does not necessarily mean they're the easiest target. The Von Luckner's another possible, but you'll be shooting mostly pristine armor on it now along with it potentially being harder to hit, depending on where they fall in terms of range brackets, than the previous two choices. The immobile Brutus is another possibility, but despite being immobilized it still has mostly intact armor, and thus the likelihood of guaranteeing a kill on it over one of the other options is not particularly higher, and its weapons are less dangerous than other options. Not that two LLs and an LRM-20 aren't dangerous, but AC-20s and Gauss Rifles are a tad more.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Poor and unlucky round of shooting there, and I was wondering if Edge would come into play with this scenario. PTN's dice are back with a vengeance. All you got out of that was an immobilized Brutus, and while it's parked blocking one of the bridges and right next to one of the AC5 turrets, it's still gonna play merry hell with its turret weapons before GoonLevel II takes it out, since you've got so many other threats coming down the pipe. They're firing on your main gate after all. Hopefully, you'll be able to thin their numbers before the gate goes down...

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Here's a copy-paste error I believe:

PoptartsNinja posted:

Legacy (Player)
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1928!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Huron Warrior (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 2, miss!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Huron Warrior (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Brutus (4 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 secondary target = 10): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Brutus (4 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 secondary target = 10): rolled 10, hit Front (29/34 armor remaining)! CfMSD!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 20

Also, I have a question about vehicle movement. The Von Luckner used 6 MP this round by my count (turned to face 1021, moved 4 hexes to 1323, then turned to face 1422). Is this an error, or can vehicles pivot for free or something?

______

Right, I suppose we can say that turn was rather suboptimal. At least the Brutus is frozen at long range from our lines with its lasers :shobon:

First of all, the Viking is in medium range from the AC20, but the closest safe hex on the wall is 0828, and it'll be showing like half the OpFor its butt unless it runs and changes facing. But you might want to do that anyway since the Von Luckner is within minimum range of your LRMs. Or you could weather the storm and choose another target. Might be worth it actually, since we do not want to focus the Luckner with everyone I don't think.

But anyway, targets. I could alpha strike the Von Luckner, with assistance from the Battlemaster's PPCs. I suppose the Catapult would be better suited to kill it with its cluster weapons, but both it and the Viking could shoot the Demolisher with 6+ LRM salvos. The Huron is another target, since even though you need 7+ to hit it and it doesn't have as much firepower, it is already wounded.

So this is my tentative plan: The Catapult and the Viking shoot the Demolisher or the Huron, and me and the Battlemaster shoot the Von Luckner and take either one of the OpFor mechs on the right or The Demolisher as a contingency target.

Tell me what you guys think.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Oct 5, 2015

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Theantero posted:

Also, I have a question about vehicle movement. The Von Luckner used 6 MP this round by my count (turned to face 1021, moved 4 hexes to 1323, then turned to face 1422). Is this an error, or can vehicles pivot for free or something?

+1 Bonus Movement for the road when flanking.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

It's also worth noting that the von Luckner is now within range of the main gate with an AC/20, and it's presenting its weakened right side to the guys with the gauss rifles and PPCs. The gate is immobile which cancels the long range penalty, and the von Luckner is going to take 1/5 of the HP off that gate this round. You do not want it getting more than one shot when you stand a good chance of killing it outright this turn.

The LRM guys are probably better off finishing the Huron Warrior, though. The Brutus is stuck (PTN: not on the record sheet yet) and it still has plenty of armour so I don't see it as a primary target. (edit: plus it's not a bad target for the Catapult to plink at when the it will eventually be suffering TSEMP penalties)

LeschNyhan fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 5, 2015

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

:cripes:

Still probably makes sense to turn the turrets on only once things get really bad. Now isn't the time.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Gwaihir posted:

Everything but the (Now broken lol) Flamer is turret mounted on the Von Luckner.

Close!

... the LRM-10 is rear-mounted. :eng99:

GhostStalker posted:

All you got out of that was an immobilized Brutus.

Literally rolled a 12 on the chance for motive system damage. That's the worst possible result on my most exploding-prone tank.

Legacy can called shot the front armor and kill it in a turn by itself.

Chronojam posted:

Still probably makes sense to turn the turrets on only once things get really bad. Now isn't the time.

You might be surprised? Turning them on too late won't do much, but forcing me to engage three extra targets might be enough time to put a good dent in that primary objective.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 5, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Also, players, bear in mind that moving only a single hex gives you the Walking to-hit penalty but doesn't move far enough to generate any to-hit penalties on anybody actually shooting at you. The minimum number of hexes you need to move to gain a defensive modifier is 3. This didn't have an actual effect on this turn's roll results but it's something to remember in future, you don't want to see yourself missing by a measly one point to-hit.

Bum luck on those crits and eating that gauss slug, y'all may want to explode the Von Luckner and the immobilized Brutus now.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
The Snake and the Huron Warrior will be at the walls next turn and inside the fort the turn after. Catapult and Viking, be advised. Save the TSEMP for one of them. It's unlikely we'll be able to help.

I plan to back into 1829 and face 1828, then take shots at the Van Luckner. We need to kill it now.

Vengeance Counter: 6

I think we'll have to activate the turrets next turn. The gate may last one more turn; the heavy lance will be in position to engage next turn and we need those turrets to draw their fire as much as we need them to score some lucky hits for us.

I suggest leaving the immobilized Brutus alone this turn. After that gate blows it'll be a useful target for me on an otherwise wasted turn (at least shooting-wise).

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Narsham posted:

I suggest leaving the immobilized Brutus alone this turn. After that gate blows it'll be a useful target for me on an otherwise wasted turn (at least shooting-wise).

Counterpoint: it has a lot of firepower and removing it from play will take a turn and complete 1/3rd of the primary objective.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

LeschNyhan posted:

The LRM guys are probably better off finishing the Huron Warrior, though. The Brutus is stuck (PTN: not on the record sheet yet) and it still has plenty of armour so I don't see it as a primary target. (edit: plus it's not a bad target for the Catapult to plink at when the it will eventually be suffering TSEMP penalties)

Sorry, I meant the Demolisher, not the laser Brutus. The LRM guys can shoot it with 6+ if they stand still. It is easier to hit than the Huron and also has more firepower, but I suppose it really isn't an immediate 'in-your-face' threat. But I suppose the Huron could be the better target since it only has 7 CT armor left.

Also, the Huron, Von Luckner and the immobilized Brutus should be easy enough pickings. I'm confident we should be able to secure the first primary objective at least.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Okay, if I back up into 0629, I should be getting 8s to hit on the Von Luckner, PPC Brutus, or Huron Warrior with my LRMs. I have a good chance at mobility damage on the Von Luckner, but I'll be out of range of most of its guns. The Brutus is the one that shot at me nearly killed me, but has a crapton of frontal armor. My best bet is probably the Huron Warrior - it's got a weak CT and I could possibly breach it with some luck.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Technowolf posted:

Okay, if I back up into 0629, I should be getting 8s to hit on the Von Luckner, PPC Brutus, or Huron Warrior with my LRMs. I have a good chance at mobility damage on the Von Luckner, but I'll be out of range of most of its guns. The Brutus is the one that shot at me nearly killed me, but has a crapton of frontal armor. My best bet is probably the Huron Warrior - it's got a weak CT and I could possibly breach it with some luck.

You're overheating enough to get MP penalties at this point- Just be careful not to fire both ERMLs so you can sink off some of that heat. Maybe even hold off on both of them if you are planning to unload with the TSEMPs next turn.

e: Other thoughts: The Huron is a very tempting target since it's still fielding a Gauss rifle. It's also lacking jumpjets, so it won't be able to go over the walls with the Snake and Wolverine though. Speaking of those two, on the following turn, they can run up all the way directly under the walls to break LoS, and on the turn after that jump over and in to your backfield. I would probably plan to use the TSEMPs sometime around then- Nail whoever comes over the walls if at all possible, while your entire group backs off the wall to focus fire them.

I'd also activate the AC5 turrets next turn. This turn wouldn't be really terrible either, since they should do some good work on the close in Tanks.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 5, 2015

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
the objectives are to get as many kills as you can, really - I'd say kill chasing is probably a better idea here than in most scenarios. Make the Brutus explode. Make everything explode.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
That's true! If you activate the AC5 turrets this turn, the one nearest the base will plug the Von Luckner in it's weakened right side armor. The Legacy can also, as PTN noted, take a called shot on the immobilized Brutus and punch right through it's front armor and in to the tasty ammo filled internals.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

That's true! If you activate the AC5 turrets this turn, the one nearest the base will plug the Von Luckner in it's weakened right side armor. The Legacy can also, as PTN noted, take a called shot on the immobilized Brutus and punch right through it's front armor and in to the tasty ammo filled internals.

I think the smarter play would be to activate only ONE of the AC5 turrets - the one in position to take the shot.

Comstar didn't leak all those weak-powergrid rumors out for nothing, after all. A single turret booting up under those conditions still maintains the ruse for next turn. kinda.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
Either this turn or next turn. PTN is playing "blind", so next turn would create a lot of tough choices with his movement.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

TheParadigm posted:

I think the smarter play would be to activate only ONE of the AC5 turrets - the one in position to take the shot.

Comstar didn't leak all those weak-powergrid rumors out for nothing, after all. A single turret booting up under those conditions still maintains the ruse for next turn. kinda.

It's an all-or-nothing decision. Looking at the map, I think they're worth activating this turn if the Capellans can't target them until the following turn, if only to give the heavy lance more targets next turn.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006

Narsham posted:

It's an all-or-nothing decision. Looking at the map, I think they're worth activating this turn if the Capellans can't target them until the following turn, if only to give the heavy lance more targets next turn.

It would certainly slow the advance in a range suitable to Goonlance.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Activate the turrets and go hog wild.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Capellans can target them now, they just have more important targets.

How they respond to the turrets will likely depend on how disruptive the turrets are.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I reckon the turrets are best left inactive until next turn. It'll give them more targets and better chances of hitting, plus be more disrupting to the Capellans' advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

I should be able to kill either the Von Luckner or the Brutus by myself this turn, especially if I focus with the Battlemaster. I feel like the Von Luckner is the more dangerous of the two. I can always nominate called shots on the Brutus as a contingency.

• Locked thread