Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

goatface posted:

Sometimes you don't want your security service to know who you're paying to have killed.
And sometimes the people taking out your laundry aren't directly employed by your security service because plausible deniability etc.

Defiance Industries posted:

If they're willing to follow you into secession and murder your enemies they're probably okay.
This is all fine until the *next* succession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Endomorphic posted:

And sometimes the people taking out your laundry aren't directly employed by your security service because plausible deniability etc.

This is all fine until the *next* succession.

We ARE talking about the LIC here, the one that takes in war orphans and raises them to be ultra-nationalist counterinsurgents and international terrorists, right?

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Zaodai posted:

Was this the guy who tried to kill whats-her-name Kurita that was Victors girlfriend but he had left his pet Elemental there to protect her that night through random chance?

Different assassin.

The Dancing Joker http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Dancing_Joker was the one who succeeded in killing Omi.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Did, ah, did you read that page?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I got as far as plastic-explosive flowerpots and closed the tab.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Aw, man, you missed the mid-air DropShip explosions.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Also being hunted down and murdered with a katana by Minoru "Suddenly I'm a Nova Cat" Kurita.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

The Merry Marauder posted:

Did, ah, did you read that page?

Aw crap. I had a brainfart. Who was the assassin who had the myomer implants and failed due to a tripwire? All my books are boxed up.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

And to think, all of this could have been avoided if they just gave the elemental a gun with some decent stopping power instead of a space 80s gyrojet gun (if memory serves).

I mean hell, an elemental is enormous. You could have her just Terminator style and carry a shotgun as her sidearm. No amount of anime bullshit in the world is getting you out of that house alive if half your chest is missing.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Nah, if you're an Elemental you should carry a Gauss weapon as your sidearm. The Thunderstroke was designed to kill Elementals in their suits, imagine what it'll do to a dude.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

goatface posted:

I got as far as plastic-explosive flowerpots and closed the tab.

Not as great as that one guy from the Circinus Federation whose skeleton was laced with plastic explosives by the Blakists.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
:psyduck: How?

... And that's just cruel, Medium Laser.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

PoptartsNinja posted:

:psyduck: How?

... And that's just cruel, Medium Laser.

It takes a certain kind of crazy. http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Fritz_Donner

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

He really felt like a character positioned to be a major hero figure in the Jihad when he bolted from Circinus but then they just had him get captured and explode. There's a number of characters from around that time that seemed like they were positioned to be major players but then they all got killed off so that they could go back to Victor and his super friends.

The Donner Bomb wasn't a bad idea but it didn't kill any of the characters who were actual problems for the story.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I was commenting on the hit-rolls in the update.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
It's like PTN is making this a Halloween scenario with all the :ghost: spooky dice rolls :ghost:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
:staredog:

Now there's a risk I never thought I'd see someone willingly take.

Edit: Technowolf, if you blow yourself up* I promise the Capellans will be so stunned only one of their `Mechs will shoot next turn.

double edit: *this turn

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 25, 2015

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Battlemaster or Demolisher.

Demolisher gauss double tap with a ML follow up?

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

I was commenting on the hit-rolls in the update.
That's what I was hoping it was :munch:

Sounds like it might be *achievement unlocked* time for Technowolf.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

PoptartsNinja posted:

Never not alpha strike!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

goatface posted:

Battlemaster or Demolisher.

Demolisher gauss double tap with a ML follow up?

Demo is outside the walls without los to anything too.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: Technowolf, if you blow yourself up* I promise the Capellans will be so stunned only one of their `Mechs will shoot next turn.

Technowolf is someone who understands how to play this game. Can't wait to see it!

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Ardlen posted:

Never not alpha strike!

If you're not alpha striking all the time, you're not trying hard enough. :colbert:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The players started this mission with eight legs.

Taking bets: how many do they have left after this turn?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Five. One colossal explosion, one legging.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

PoptartsNinja posted:

None.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Four. One mech with no legs and two with one.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Gonna take the longshot bet here - eight legs.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

They're getting a 4 leg mech marching out of the hanger as reinforcement.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Six, maybe? :shrug:

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Still eight but only five still attached to their original mech?

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010
Does it count if one is picked up and used as a melee weapon?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

I regret nothing :c00lbert:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
One leg each.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Technowolf posted:

I regret nothing :c00lbert:

If it makes you feel any better, I actually thought the designation for that mech was "Technowolf". Sounds like a :battletech: name to me. You know, the mech named after Ian Technowolf-Davion.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Three. Just because.

Bonus points if each leg is on a different mech. Any brownie points for a correct guess?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Laager: Tactical Update 12 The answer was '7'

Vassago’s Catapult groaned as the Snake’s autocannon shattered the ferro-titanium bones in its upper thigh. His machine lurched as the leg threatened to collapse beneath him. He leaned heavily to the left, throwing most of the Catapult’s weight over the intact left leg. Unlike most of the rest of his lance, Vassago had been shot out of a `Mech before. Another step, so much as the slightest shift, and he was guaranteed to snap the leg off at the hip.

Well. There was nothing left but to make sure the Capellans didn’t capture a Tight-Stream EMP Cannon. His hands spread wide, flipping the dual safeties that disabled the Catapult’s engine heat sinks and sealed the exhaust vents. Heat spiked to intolerable levels in an instant, and the temperature gauges in the ammo bins howled in warning. Distracted as he was, Vassago barely managed to align his crosshairs with the Lao Hu and the closer Snake. His thumbs stabbed down on his target interlock circuits, unloading his entire arsenal at both machines.

Prompted by the spiking heat, the Catapult’s auto-ejection system activated an instant later. Even so, the dual compression waves of the Catapult’s vaporization were faster than his command chair. Vassago blacked out, leaving his final, spiteful handiwork unwitnessed.

Movement Phase
BattleMaster (Player)
- Must pass a piloting test to Stand (4 base = 4): rolled 10, succeeds!

Shooting Phase
BattleMaster (Player)
- Fires ER PPC at Lao Hu (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 target movement = 6): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Lao Hu (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 target movement - 2 pulse laser = 4): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Lao Hu (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 target movement = 6): rolled 8, hit Left Leg (18/28 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Lao Hu (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 target movement = 6): rolled 10, hit Right Leg (13/28 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Lao Hu (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 target movement = 6): rolled 6, hit Right Torso (5/24 armor remaining)!
- Gains 35 heat, sinks 34

Viking (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 10 heat, sinks 20

Catapult II (Player)
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Snake (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement = 10): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Snake (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement = 10): rolled 9, miss!
- Fires TSEMP at Lao Hu (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 secondary target = 9): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires TSEMP at Lao Hu (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 secondary target = 9): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires LRM-20 at Lao Hu (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 secondary target = 7): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires LRM-20 at Lao Hu (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 secondary target = 7): rolled 9, 20 missiles hit Right Leg (8/28 armor remaining), Left Torso (8/24 armor remaining), Center Torso (14/33 armor remaining), Center Torso (9/33 armor remaining)!
- Gains 43 heat, sinks 20! Overheating!

Legacy (Player)
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Lao Hu (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 1 enemy movement = 7): rolled 7, hit Left Arm (2/23 armor remaining)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Lao Hu (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 1 enemy movement = 7): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Lao Hu (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 1 enemy movement = 7): rolled 8, hit Right Torso (0/24 armor remaining)!
- Fires Streak SRM-2 at Lao Hu (4 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 1 enemy movement = 9): rolled 5, fails to lock-on!
- Gains 13 heat, sinks 18

SRM-6 Turret 1730
- Fires SRM-6 (Inferno) at Brutus (PPC) (3 base + 0 range + 0 movement - 4 enemy movement = -1): automatically hit, 5 missiles hit Front, Front, Front, Front, Turret!

SRM-6 Turret 1530
- Fires SRM-6 (Inferno) at Brutus (PPC) (3 base + 0 range + 0 movement - 4 enemy movement = -1): automatically hit, 4 missiles hit Turret, Front, Front, Front!

Lao Hu
- Fires LB 20-X Autocannon at BattleMaster (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 9, hit Center Torso (8/40 armor remaining)!
- Fires ER Large Laser at BattleMaster (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 7, hit Right Torso (20/28 armor remaining)!
- Gains 20 heat, sinks 20!

Archer
- Holds fire!
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 24!

Rifleman II
- Holds fire!
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 28!

Huron Warrior
- Fires Gauss Rifle at BattleMaster (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 8): rolled 4, miss!
- Gains 3 heat, sinks 11!

Snake
- Fires LB-10X Autocannon (Cluster) at Catapult II (4 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement - 1 cluster = 6): rolled 8, 6 submunitions hit Right Leg (1/15 structure remaining (Crit!)), Right Torso (9/20 armor remaining), Right Torso (8/20 armor remaining), Left Arm (15/18 armor remaining), Right Torso (7/20 armor remaining), Left Arm (14/18 armor remaining)!
- Fires Streak SRM-2 at Catapult II (4 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement = 7): rolled 7, 2 missiles hit Right Torso (5/20 armor remaining), Right Torso (3/20 armor remaining)!
- Fires Streak SRM-2 at Catapult II (4 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement = 7): rolled 9, 2 missiles hit Center Torso (22/24 armor remaining), Center Torso (20/24 armor remaining)!
- Fires Streak SRM-2 at Catapult II (4 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement = 7): rolled 6, fails to lock-on!
- Gains 11 heat, sinks 22!

Wolverine
- Fires ER Large Laser at Viking (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 prone target = 7): rolled 9, hit Center Torso (20/33 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Viking (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 prone target - 2 pulse laser = 9): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires SRM-6 at Viking (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 prone target = 11): rolled 7, miss!
- Gained 22 heat, sinks 24!

Brutus
- Holds fire!

Brutus (PPC)
- Crew Stunned!

Demolisher (Gauss)
- Holds fire!

End Phase
Lao Hu
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (4 base + 1 massive damage = 5): rolled 12, succeeds!

Brutus (PPC)
- Inferno critical chance in Front! No critical hit sustained!
- Inferno critical chance in Front! (8 - 2 = 6) Driver Hit (second hit) becomes Crew Stunned!
- Inferno critical chance in Front! Driver Hit (second hit) becomes Crew Stunned (2 turns)!
- Inferno critical chance in Turret! (12 - 2 = 10) PPC Destroyed!
- Inferno critical chance in Turret! (10 - 2 = 8) Weapon Malfunction (no functional weapons)
- - Malfunction becomes Turret Lock (turret already locked)
- - - Turret lock becomes Weapon Destroyed: PPC Destroyed!
- Inferno critical chance in Front! (11 - 2 = 9) Sensors hit!
- Inferno critical chance in Front! (10 - 2 = 8) Stabilizer hit (stabilizer already destroyed)!
- - Stabilizer hit becomes Sensor hit!

BattleMaster
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (4 base + 1 massive damage = 5): rolled 11, succeeds!

Catapult II (Player)
- Critical chance in Right Leg! 2 critical hits sustained!
- - Upper Leg Actuator damaged!
- - Hip Actuator damaged!
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (4 base + 2 actuator damage + 2 hip damage = 8): rolled 7, fails!
- - Suffers 8 damage in the fall to Center Torso (15/24 armor remaining), Right Leg (0/15 structure remaining)! Leg Blown Off!
- - - 4 damage transfers to Right Torso (0/20 armor, 14/15 structure remaining)!
- Critical chance in Right Torso! No critical hits sustained!
- Overheating! Must pass an 8+ Shutdown test: rolled 8, succeeds!
- Overheating! Must pass a 4+ Ammo Explosion test: rolled (I'm fudging this for the Drama Bonus. Since you're already out of the game it doesn't count as me cheating :ohdear: ), fails!
- Ammunition explodes!
- - Catapult II suffers 100 damage in Right Arm (0/18 armor, 0/11 structure remaining)! Arm Blown Off!
- - - 77 damage transfers to Right Torso (0/15 structure remaining)! Torso Destroyed!
- - - - 63 damage transfers to Center Torso!
- - Catapult II suffers 100 damage in Left Arm (0/18 armor, 0/11 structure remaining)! Arm blown off!
- - - 75 damage transfers to Left Torso (0/20 armor, 0/15 structure remaining)! Torso destroyed!
- - - - 40 damage transfers to Center Torso!
- Center Torso suffers 103 damage in an Ammunition Explosion (0/24 armor, 0/22 structure remaining)! Torso destroyed! `Mech destroyed!
- - 66 damage vented harmlessly!

Physical Combat Phase:
BattleMaster (Player)
- Kicks Lao Hu (4 base + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement - 2 kick = 4): rolled 10, hit Left Leg (2/28 armor remaining)!

Lao Hu
- Kicks BattleMaster (4 base + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 kick = 4): rolled 11, hit Right Leg (11/26 armor remaining)!

End Phase:
BattleMaster (Player)
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (4 base + 0 kicked kick + 1 massive damage = 5): rolled 10, succeeds!

Lao Hu (Player)
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (4 base + 0 kicked kick + 1 massive damage = 5): rolled 9, succeeds!

Next Turn’s Movement Phase
Lao Hu
- Forced to Withdraw!

Player Status:

Allied Status

Opposing Force Status:

Mission Objective:
- Hurt them (complete)
- - Hurt them more (5/6)
- - - Teach them the Word (5/9)

Secondary Objectives:
- Defend the Turret Control Tower (0/1)
- Defend the Administration Building (0/1)
- Keep enemy `Mechs out of the `Mechbay (Failed!)

Special Rules:
Construction Zones – Unless the hex states otherwise, all construction zones count as light woods.

Reload Point – ComStar’s technicians are very motivated and have six tons of LRM reloads available. They can reload 2 tons of LRM ammo per turn spent inside the Mechbay. The Legacy isn’t built for quick reloads, but the technicians may be able to supply it with one additional ton of gauss rifle ammo. If only one `Mech is in the Mechbay the technicians will also replace damaged armor plates, restoring the armor on all damaged sections up to the nearest multiple of 5. If a section is already at a multiple of five, its armor cannot be restored. Reload point disrupted!

Hidden Assets – The light autocannon turrets are currently in low-power standby mode. ComStar has always maintained up rumors that the power grid supporting them is incomplete or somehow insufficient to power them. They will not open fire until at least two players request their activation on the same turn. This deception may be detected by enemy units with a Beagle Active Probe.

Orders Due: Midnight Tuesday!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

...you just stackpoled a mech. Niiiiiiiiiiiice. :getin:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Did he just....

We have a STACKPOLE! I think that's a thread first!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I thought Stackpoling involved the mech's engine exploding.

• Locked thread