Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Narsham posted:

We can afford to take a little extra time, effectively giving the Wolverine shots on a turret in exchange for having a better shot at the Brutus next turn. I'd actually suggest keeping the Legacy off the wall. You could run to 1335 facing 1434 and move into the 16--column with me next turn to called shot the Brutus to death. May as well shoot the Huron again this turn. I'll back into 1535.

These both sound like solid moves. I'd wonder what the Capellans will do if their disengaging units start taking fire, but screw them the Snake put down the Viking on it's way out.

Good news that 1335 is a 50/50 to both the Lao Hu and Wolverine, so if you don't engage them they can't shoot back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Shoot down that Wolverine. Kill their leadership. Demonstrate that bravery is futile; make them flee before you.

Also, you know, protecting Turret Control seems prudent.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yeah, after that fluff, how can you resist engaging that thing?

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Hexes traveled, but jump jets always take the most direct path (which might've messed you up). It was running with MASC though, so every new hex it moves through counts. Doubling back on your own path is always detrimental.

That's 50/50 LOS as well

Yeah, you're right, that explains it.
Also, I've never worked with MASC before, so I don't know much about additional rules outside of the speed increase.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Night10194 posted:

Yeah, after that fluff, how can you resist engaging that thing?

I can resist due to being a horrible grog that likes to win on technicalities. Also I'd love to see how our 'victory' gets fluffed when we win even though both our remaining mechs are basically scrap and we have a pristine enemy determinator rampaging in our base :v:

Narsham posted:

We can afford to take a little extra time, effectively giving the Wolverine shots on a turret in exchange for having a better shot at the Brutus next turn. I'd actually suggest keeping the Legacy off the wall. You could run to 1335 facing 1434 and move into the 16--column with me next turn to called shot the Brutus to death. May as well shoot the Huron again this turn. I'll back into 1535.

Yeah, I'll do that move. However, is there a reason you're going to 1535 instead of running to 1635 and doing a called shot on the Brutus this turn? It would give us some insurance against possible misses next turn even if you don't kill it. I suppose that 1535 is in the Huron's gauss blind spot, but that is the only real advantage I can see with it.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
It's just a speed increase with an increasing chance to take a leg critical for every turn you use it in a row (It was 3+ this turn, next turn he has to roll 5+ or eat a leg crit if he uses MASC again.).

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Affi posted:

Go for the wolverine instead. Win it as real men and not on a technicality. Besides if you do the brutus there is going to be a new objective anyway.

Oh, he'll get his unless PTN terminates the scenario.

Theantero posted:

I can resist due to being a horrible grog that likes to win on technicalities. Also I'd love to see how our 'victory' gets fluffed when we win even though both our remaining mechs are basically scrap and we have a pristine enemy determinator rampaging in our base :v:

Yeah, I'll do that move. However, is there a reason you're going to 1535 instead of running to 1635 and doing a called shot on the Brutus this turn? It would give us some insurance against possible misses next turn even if you don't kill it. I suppose that 1535 is in the Huron's gauss blind spot, but that is the only real advantage I can see with it.

The Brutus can also shoot back. It's not very likely that I kill it this turn and I'm not willing to take two turns of LRM fire just to slightly increase the odds of our meeting the final victory condition. Next turn I can get closer to it and try to lure it into shooting back at me instead of you. Depending upon how return fire goes this turn, I could even run to 1632, putting it in ER PPC medium range and LPL long-range and offering it LL shots as well as medium range LRM shots (9s and 7 for incoming fire; my outgoing shots needing 4s).

I think delaying the attack on the Wolverine is totally a Kernoff move: taunt the pilot and blow up the Huron Warrior instead.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Hah! Fair enough.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Why waste your time on a retreating target?

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

dis astranagant posted:

Because it's there!

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Because there are no other valid targets we have LoS to (well, I suppose the Lao Hu and Wolverine are 50/50 but we expressly don't want them to shoot at us), and hey, might as well.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

dis astranagant posted:

Teach them the word.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Nation posted:

Teach them the word.

No need to run, you'll only die tired slip on pavement and TAC your engine.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

hooman posted:

I have to admit I know practically nothing about the canon battletech fluff. I was just making a lesser of two evils/lesser weasel pun. :eng99:

I realize that, I admired its purity.

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

Narsham posted:

Oh, he'll get his unless PTN's dice terminates the scenario.
Fixed for honesty.

dis astranagant posted:

The lesson from Inglorious Bastards is that you only really need *one* enemy to escape any given engagement.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Sent my orders, running to 1335, facing 1434 and shooting everything at the Huron.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
It took me a week, but I have read the entirety of this thread. Absolutely amazing, thanks to PTN and the players!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
I wonder if the Huron will shoot back if it's shot at?

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Z the IVth posted:

I wonder if the Huron will shoot back if it's shot at?

The retreating Snake offed the Viking, so I'd assume that retreating never was an object for attacking.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
`Mechs under forced withdrawal rules can still shoot, yes, they just have to spend every turn moving towards their deployment zone and eventually off the board.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar
So I started watching the "alcohol fueled stream" from the battletech kickstarter.

They're using the "battletech guide to drinks"

Someone still have that floating around somewhere?

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

shalafi4 posted:

So I started watching the "alcohol fueled stream" from the battletech kickstarter.

They're using the "battletech guide to drinks"

Someone still have that floating around somewhere?

You mean the "Battletech Bartender's Guide"? Not too hard to find a link to it, http://home.arcor.de/cwaidner/archives/downloads/bartender.txt. Although this is apparently a version with additions by Battletech players.

Edit: Glanced over the one on my first link and it's missing a few (chiefly the one used in the stream, the Capellan Confederation), I think this one has them all, http://www.solaris7.com/Fiction/FictionInfo.asp?ID=739

Cimbri fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 4, 2015

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Cimbri posted:

You mean the "Battletech Bartender's Guide"? Not too hard to find a link to it, http://home.arcor.de/cwaidner/archives/downloads/bartender.txt. Although this is apparently a version with additions by Battletech players.

Edit: Glanced over the one on my first link and it's missing a few (chiefly the one used in the stream, the Capellan Confederation), I think this one has them all, http://www.solaris7.com/Fiction/FictionInfo.asp?ID=739

Ah that's it (was listening to it while studying)

they opened with this

Capellan Confederation

1 oz sake
1/2 oz midori

place ingredients into a rocks glass and stir

[editor's note: tried a sip of this. Tastes like rear end. Besides, Sake
ISN'T Chinese. *pbbt*]

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

shalafi4 posted:

Besides, Sake
ISN'T Chinese. *pbbt*]

That's a dumb critique. 1000 years ago tobacco, tomatoes and potatoes weren't available outside the Americas. Now they're integral to culture and cuisine all over the world. Imagine South Asian food without potatoes or Italian food without tomatoes or Eastern Europe without tobacco.

We can reasonably assume that things like Sake may drift over time.

That said, I know that the actual BT writers are just dumb.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
That's not an official publication, and given that most cultures are a mishmash with a few dominant themes it's possible Sake could be a favorite beverage in the Capellan Confederation.

My contention with that drink is that there isn't enough vodka in it, given that the Cappies are mostly the Decaying Corpse of Communist Russia in Space.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I believe plum wine (and everclear) is the Capellan drink of choice. It's ~canon~

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

Psion posted:

I believe plum wine (and everclear) is the Capellan drink of choice. It's ~canon~

I seem to recall some poor fool actually made and tried all of the different variants of PPC, and that the Capellan PPC was rather foul.

Not sure if it is worse than mixing sake and Midori, though.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

LeadSled posted:

I seem to recall some poor fool actually made and tried all of the different variants of PPC, and that the Capellan PPC was rather foul.

Not sure if it is worse than mixing sake and Midori, though.

Yeah, I remember that post too. I believe they didn't do the full five shots per drink because they wanted to live afterwards. Probably a smart move.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Laager: Tactical Update 15

An explosive charge blew the Huron Warrior’s canopy off and a heartbeat later the pilot’s command couch rocketed skyward as the hungry beam of Kernoff’s ER PPC devoured the last of the lighter machine’s engine shielding. The Huron warrior’s legs seized up and the machine fell, its bulk crushing one of the SRM turrets that’d helped Kernof’s short lance stave off an entire Capellan company.

The Wolverine’s lasers made short work of the last turret. Without a clear shot at either Kernoff or Nami’s battered Legacy, the Capellan Mechwarrior did the wise thing and eliminated a potential threat from his backfield. Her backfield, Kernoff corrected as the Wolverine leapt back into the open. Even at maximum zoom it wasn’t always easy to tell an enemy pilot’s gender through the bulk of a cooling vest. The standard Capellan design was open to the hip and one of the few that protected the pilot’s legs. It was more like a bulky robe than an actual vest, but by necessity there were more than the usual number of openings in the ballistic cloth. With such an expansive cooling vest, without some gaps or holes for flexibility Capellan Mechwarriors wouldn’t have been able to sit down or even move their arms.

It didn’t matter much to Kernoff except in the vaguest academic sense. Other people were a nuisance at best or an obstacle to eliminate at worst. The entire Inner Sphere could burn in nuclear fire and as long as Kernoff was on the side doing the burning he wouldn’t lose any sleep over it. Such clarity had only filled him after he began studying the Word. He had no doubt that if he hadn’t adopted Blake’s vision he’d have taken matters into his own hands long ago. The Inner Sphere was a festering corpse and most of the people in it suitable only for labor or, better yet, fuel for the pyres of a general purge. Blake’s time would come. For now, Kernoff would settle on teaching this small group of Capellans the Word.

Shooting Phase
Shooting Phase
BattleMaster (Player)
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1534
- Fires ER PPC at Huron Warrior (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 target movement = 7): rolled 10, hit Rear Right Torso (0/7 armor, 8/12 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Huron Warrior (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 target movement - 2 pulse laser = 5): rolled 8, hit Rear Center Torso (0/9 armor remaining)!
- Gains 26 heat, sinks 32

Legacy (Player)
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Huron Warrior (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Huron Warrior (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 10): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Huron Warrior (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 10): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires Streak SRM-2 at Huron Warrior (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 10): rolled 2, fails to lock-on!
- Gains 11 heat, sinks 18

SRM-6 Turret 1730
- Fires SRM-6 at Huron Warrior (3 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement = 5): rolled 11, 6 missiles hit Right Torso (6/12 structure remaining (Crit!)), Center Torso (0/22 armor remaining), Center Torso (14/16 structure remaining (Crit!)), Right Leg (8/20 armor remaining), Head (7/9 armor remaining (Pilot hit!)), Left Arm (4/16 armor remaining)!

SRM-6 Turret 1530
- Fires SRM-6 at Huron Warrior (3 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement = 5): rolled 11, 2 missiles hit Left Leg (13/20 armor remaining), Right Leg (6/20 armor remaining)!

Lao Hu
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 20!

Archer
- Holds fire!
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 24!

Rifleman II
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 28!

Huron Warrior
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1530!
- Fires ER Large Laser at Legacy (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 7): rolled 9, hit Right Leg (11/34 armor remaining)!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Turret 1530 (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement - 4 enemy movement + 2 minimum range + 1 secondary target = 5): rolled 5, hit Turret (0/15 armor, 0/2 structure remaining)! Turret destroyed!
- Gains 15 heat, sinks 10! Overheating!

Snake
- Holds fire!
- Gains 5 heat, sinks 22!

Wolverine
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1536!
- Fires ER Large Laser at Turret 1730 (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement - 4 enemy movement = 2): rolled 7, hit Rear (7/15 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Turret 1730 (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement - 4 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 4): rolled 4, hit Rear (1/15 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Turret 1730 (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement - 4 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 4): rolled 6, hit rear (0/15 armor, 0/2 structure remaining)! Turret destroyed!
- Gained 22 heat, sinks 24!

Brutus
- Holds fire!

Demolisher (Gauss)
- Holds fire!

End Phase
Huron Warrior
- Critical chance in Right Torso! No critical hit sustained!
- Critical chance in Right Torso! 3 critical hits sustained!
- - Engine hit!
- - Engine destroyed!
- - Critical hit transfers to Center Torso!
- - - Engine hit!
- Critical chance in Center Torso! No critical hits sustained!
- Pilot hit! Must pass a 3+ consciousness test: rolled 3, succeeds!

Viking (Player)
- Critical chance in Center Torso! 1 critical hit sustained!
- - Engine hit! Engine destroyed!
- Critical chance in Center Torso! No critical hits sustained!

Player Status:

Allied Status

Opposing Force Status:

??? Status

Mission Objective:
- Hurt them (complete)
- - Hurt them more (complete)
- - - Teach them the Word (8/9)

Secondary Objectives:
- Defend the Turret Control Tower (0/1)
- Defend the Administration Building (0/1)
- Keep enemy `Mechs out of the `Mechbay (Failed!)

Special Rules:
Construction Zones – Unless the hex states otherwise, all construction zones count as light woods.

Hidden Assets – The light autocannon turrets are currently in low-power standby mode. ComStar has always maintained up rumors that the power grid supporting them is incomplete or somehow insufficient to power them. They will not open fire until at least two players request their activation on the same turn. This deception may be detected by enemy units with a Beagle Active Probe.

Orders Due: Midnight Saturday!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Christ almighty look at Team Rainbow. :stare:

Finish off one more target fast, guys. Looks like the party's over.

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
Lu Bu.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo some of those legendaries run hot.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The Skittles Squadron is back!

:stare:

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010
I'm pretty sure the radio chatter on the Capellan side includes the lines "failed us for the last time" and "bungling fools." Those poor regulars.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Isn't it about time you guys get started on that Wolverine? You don't have long to mop him up if those five newcomers are a walking game over.

And drat if Kernoff isn't nuttier than a granola bar.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, that's Kernoff alright.

Also,

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Omni-Marauders and omni-Warhammers. Beautiful. And terrifying. We're going to need to borrow 10,000 Arrow IVs. That, or have the Battlemaster stand alone in the gateway playing a mech-sized stringed instrument.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Also, I do like the Flamehammer. Plasma rifles and ER flamers? I hope the streak SRM has infernos in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

DO NOT PURSUE

• Locked thread