Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

wiegieman posted:

They're in a forced withdrawal from a reducing assault on a fixed position. This is what they're supposed to be doing, not standing fast and losing their mechs.

On the other hand it's been established by the last mission that it is warcrimes o'clock local time and the Capellans don't seem to want anyone to know about their new toys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

On that note, I really hope the super skittle rangers start murdering their way down the map, the retreating cappie mechs change sides to avoid a certain execution, and then marik's mercs showing up to show to chase the rainbow

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Loxbourne posted:

Why did you drink a fish for this thread? I have gone over the posts at the time and I cannot honestly see any reason. I'm guessing it's a cocktail recipe in that godawful book the thread was reading at the time, but I can't find it.

Read from this post. Basically, PTN was doing a "let's read" of a terrible battletech novel called Main Event, in which a drink called the "pelican shooter" appears, which involves brown alcohol and a fish:

quote:

Alongside a long, stupid story that hinges on there being pelicans on Solaris (there aren’t), The Pelican Shooter contains:

Main Event posted:

Before them were two tumblers, each half-filled with a brownish liquid Rose only guessed was alcohol. Celery, or onions, or something equally undesirable floated on top. As the crowd gathered closer, Dillon reached onto the tray and grabbed a sardine with each hand. He waved each fish above his head, prompting the crowd to cheer.

[…]

Dillon dropped one sardine into each drink and placed the tumblers in front of rose and Jaryl […] Dillon pulled a small lighter from out of an apron pocket and leaned close to Rose. […] Dillon flicked the lighter and passed the flame over each drink, which began to burn with the clear flame of an alcohol fire.

Someone needs to make art of that. Alternatively, I will give bonus points to anyone who makes (and drinks) a Pelican Shooter with double bonus points if you live (Note: please don’t actually try a Pelican Shooter; I don’t want anyone to die trying to drink a whole sardine).

I suggested swallowing a whole sardine isn't that big a deal, PTN suggested he didn't actually want anyone to die trying to drink a fish, I did it anyway, and then I got a prize (I think I got to suggest or help pick a mission? If I remember right.)

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Theantero posted:

We should definitely kill the Brutus this turn. However, those hexes are not that good a choice. First of all, 1637 is one of those wall hexes that are impossible to stand on (the kind that killed the Helios). 1636 on the other hand is completely hidden from the Wolverine since there is a height 4 building on the way. However, 1636 is visible to the Archer and Demolisher, which means that if one of us goes there, then one of us is getting shot by those two and the Wolverine will just engage the other person (since it has LoS on all other hexes on that 16xx column). Instead I propose the following: I run to 1635 and you walk to 1634, and we both call shots on the front of the Brutus. This way only the Brutus' LRM and the Wolverine can shoot us. I feel this is the best choice, since we are unfortunately in the position that if both of us get on the 16xx column, the Wolverine will be in short range of at least one of us. This way we minimize the potential damage at least.

I do have one slight alternative to that though. I could instead walk to 1633. This means I'll be in range of the Brutus' large lasers (they'll be hitting on 9+) and the Wolverine's mediums and other weapons, but I'll improve my own to-hit from 6+ to 5+. Probably not worth it, but it does increase my chance of success from ~72% to ~83%.

I like the first plan better, since it leaves a reasonable chance that I'll live to see next turn.

Mistyped, I meant 1635 and 1636. I'm not certain about LOS to 1636 with the 3-d wall line tracing, but if it is visible to the Archer and Demolisher we need to avoid it. 1635/6 are the only hexes on the 16-- column outside short range to the Wolverine.

Do not step into LL range of the Brutus. The LRMs are going to be bad enough. I'm checking on 1636 LOS before submitting orders. We definitely need to manipulate to-hit numbers to make me a better target than you are whenever possible, too.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Narsham posted:

Mistyped, I meant 1635 and 1636. I'm not certain about LOS to 1636 with the 3-d wall line tracing, but if it is visible to the Archer and Demolisher we need to avoid it. 1635/6 are the only hexes on the 16-- column outside short range to the Wolverine.

Do not step into LL range of the Brutus. The LRMs are going to be bad enough. I'm checking on 1636 LOS before submitting orders. We definitely need to manipulate to-hit numbers to make me a better target than you are whenever possible, too.

Oh yeah. If the 3D shenanigans block the LoS of the Demolisher and Archer, then I should definitely run to 1636 and you walk to 1635. If they do have LoS however, then I think it would be wiser for me to take 1635 and for you to take 1634.

Amhazair
Feb 13, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

I suggested swallowing a whole sardine isn't that big a deal, PTN suggested he didn't actually want anyone to die trying to drink a fish, I did it anyway, and then I got a prize (I think I got to suggest or help pick a mission? If I remember right.)
Wasn't it the mission based on the allegedely horrible bird-alien novel that resulted from this? The one with the birdflue and lots of machineguns? Or am I misremembering?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I vaguely recall discussing the in-space walking around on the surface of a ship thing, but I can't remember if that was via PMs with PTN, or just in the thread or something. It's four years ago and my brain is getting old :shrug:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Leperflesh posted:

I vaguely recall discussing the in-space walking around on the surface of a ship thing, but I can't remember if that was via PMs with PTN, or just in the thread or something. It's four years ago and my brain is getting old :shrug:

Wasn't the scenario Elementals were introduced in on the surface of a Dropship or Jumpship in space?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Yeah, there was also talk of a mission as powered armor users inside a spaceship for the Minnesota Tribe Trials but it was scraped for being unfun by PTN, if I remember correctly.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

SIGSEGV posted:

Yeah, there was also talk of a mission as powered armor users inside a spaceship for the Minnesota Tribe Trials but it was scraped for being unfun by PTN, if I remember correctly.

That happened, yes, but there was also a mission on the surface of a drop ship where comstar got completely ruined by a bunch of hell's horses elementals. Nadir update one from 4.5 years ago, give or take.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

TheParadigm posted:

On that note, I really hope the super skittle rangers start murdering their way down the map, the retreating cappie mechs change sides to avoid a certain execution, and then marik's mercs showing up to show to chase the rainbow

This is kind of what I'm expecting. A simple War Crimes Walk of Execution feels a little fait accompli, not to mention it's not like I'd put it past Comstar to actually put a nuke under their base, so being anywhere near there without it having been secured hours ago seems like an awful place to have your hideously expensive prototype mechs.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They have converted the whole base into a mega-HPG and are going to rend the heavens to a degree that will crack the planet, all in order to send a message straight home to the boys on Terra.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
When they detonate the nuke the orbital sensor network will detect the blast and activate the Hidden Orbital HPG that sends an automated message to Terra.

(I can dream.)

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

When they detonate the nuke the orbital sensor network will detect the blast and activate the Hidden Orbital HPG that sends an automated message to Terra.

(I can dream.)

This is not outside the Capabilities of Comstar.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

AtomikKrab posted:

This is not outside the Capabilities of Comstar.

I know, that's why I'm dreaming of it.

Basically I want the Capellans to have their technological advantage but face a united front as everyone attacks them at once. Turn them into Clan Warcrimes Defendant.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

(I can dream.)

The nuke generates a burst of energy channeled through the turret control tower as a one-shot HPG to warn Terra of what's going on.

Kernoff somehow survives the blast but suffers from a permanent delusion that whenever he gets angry he turns into a giant green humanoid monster. And he's always angry.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Narsham posted:

Kernoff

always angry.

But you repeat yourself.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
That's his secret, see? :ssh:

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

(I can dream.)

Say, aren't there rules for aiming an hpg AT things?

The real reason for the ultra-massive capacitor bank beneath the facility is because it has a mobile, and weaponized HPG underneath the base.

We're playing the monster-mech villian for the power ranger show.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

"Blessed Blake, make my battlemech grow!"

The Capellan Rangers then need to Voltron their mechs together.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Dolash posted:

The Capellan Rangers then need to Voltron their mechs together.

Probably would've worked better last mission, as the Legendary Chinese Beasts fusing into the Dragon King of the Center has some precedent in legend (and picked up by the Persona games), but then said Dragon King showed up as the Colonel in charge of the Legendary Beast Squad driving that mech himself, so that idea was right out.

Here, maybe if 2 more Romance of the Three Kingdoms heroes affiliated with Cao Cao drop in, we could have some sort of combining thing? Or maybe they just blitz ComStar Dynasty Warriors style and use flashy Musou attacks on your remaining hero units, since there aren't any mooks around to be slaughtered by them instead. Who knows what PTN is planning to pull out against you here with these prototypes the Cappies are sending after you?

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Nov 6, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Congrats PTN it's time for us to nerd about China now.

I think by the 31st century, the Condor Heroes series would be considered classical literature, too.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
No word yet from PTN on the LOS question. My best attempt to model the situation in Excel suggests that the height 3 wall blocks LOS from the Archer to 1636. The height 1 Demolisher definitely does not have LOS.

With the deadline approaching, I'll submit conditional orders based on the LOS question. Theantero, I suggest you do the same as well. 1635 for me and 36 for you if LOS = no, 1634 for me and 5 for you if LOS = yes.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
So, as per orders. PTN has not done a final verdict on this yet, but he seems to think that 1636 will give partial cover from the Archer and Demolisher (based on a gut judgement). Which means that they would be hitting me on 10+ with their guns if I go there, in addition to the Brutus who will be hitting on 9+. So I was thinking that maybe jumping would be smarter in that case. I will reduce their chances to hit into 11+ and 10+ respectively. This would mean that I have a hefty 70% of not being hit at all if I jump, whereas that chance is only 50% if I run. Of course, if I jump I will only hit the Brutus on a 7+ (~58% chance) intead of the 6+ (~72% chance) if I run. I think jumping is wiser, since I'll probably live if I do it. and can shoot again next turn.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Narsham can you post the Excel sheet?

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Narsham posted:

With the deadline approaching, I'll submit conditional orders based on the LOS question. Theantero, I suggest you do the same as well. 1635 for me and 36 for you if LOS = no, 1634 for me and 5 for you if LOS = yes.

Actually, I think it's better for me to jump to 1636 even if they have LoS, because that way there is a large chance for me to not get hit at all, whereas if I run to 1635 I will most certainly get smacked by the Wolverine.

I'll jump to 1636 and call a shot on the front of the Brutus. My only conditional will be to run there instead if the Archer and Demolisher have no LoS.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Is this where I sign up? Still catching up on posts.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I was wondering when you'd hop on, Beer.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Theantero posted:

So, as per orders. PTN has not done a final verdict on this yet, but he seems to think that 1636 will give partial cover from the Archer and Demolisher (based on a gut judgement). Which means that they would be hitting me on 10+ with their guns if I go there, in addition to the Brutus who will be hitting on 9+. So I was thinking that maybe jumping would be smarter in that case. I will reduce their chances to hit into 11+ and 10+ respectively. This would mean that I have a hefty 70% of not being hit at all if I jump, whereas that chance is only 50% if I run. Of course, if I jump I will only hit the Brutus on a 7+ (~58% chance) intead of the 6+ (~72% chance) if I run. I think jumping is wiser, since I'll probably live if I do it. and can shoot again next turn.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Narsham can you post the Excel sheet?

Didn't save it, but I think your move makes sense either way.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I guess it is time to sign up for a spot. Do you want my email address now or when my turn is about to come around?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Read from this post. Basically, PTN was doing a "let's read" of a terrible battletech novel called Main Event, in which a drink called the "pelican shooter" appears, which involves brown alcohol and a fish:

Someone needs to make art of that. Alternatively, I will give bonus points to anyone who makes (and drinks) a Pelican Shooter with double bonus points if you live (Note: please don’t actually try a Pelican Shooter; I don’t want anyone to die trying to drink a whole sardine).

If nobody made a "Liquorfish" joke then a great opportunity went begging.

hooman fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Nov 8, 2015

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I need some input from the players.

It won't hold up the update.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Is this where I sign up? Still catching up on posts.

Hey buddy. I can't wait for your turn to pilot in 2018.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Laager: Tactical Update 16

Nami fought to stifle a cough as more acrid smoke oozed through the Legacy’s ventilation system. One of her air filters was on fire, something which would have made a normal Mechwarrior shiver with fear. Fire was the worst way for a Mechwarrior to go, was the only time a `Mech’s durability really worked against it: a pilot trapped in a downed, burning `Mech was often dead long before any rescue crew could pry her machine open. Nami didn’t think the fire was anything serious but even if it had been she wouldn’t have punched out.

It was barely worth mentioning when her Gauss Rifle punched through the prow of the enemy’s thinly-armored Brutus tank. The Capellans were down to three effectives, their strength reduced by more than two thirds in the scant minutes since the battle was joined. Without a gesture the red-shouldered Wolverine leapt back over the walls, trying to draw the remaining ComGuard machines into her companions’ line of sight.

“Adept,” the Demi-Precentor’s voice was ragged, although the man would never admit it controlling five turrets with a single neurohelmet, even indirectly, must have been mentally exhausting. “You have bought Blake’s Wrath the time they needed—they await the Word. You’ll also be pleased to note: the enemy’s observers have retreated. I think they’re rather disgusted with their troop’s performance.”

“The enemy is broken,” Kernoff replied, sounding as amused as Nami had ever heard him. Although the Demi-Precentor outranked him, Kernoff was in charge of ComStar’s security forces. In short, he had final say over all battlefield decisions. “The Capellans are retreating in disarray, held off by a force a third their strength. By Blake’s Will alone we’ve held firm. By Blake’s Word we’ve broken them. By Blake’s Wrath, we leave them with nothing. Nothing but their fear.”

“The Word is given.”

Shooting Phase
BattleMaster (Player)
- Fires ER PPC at Brutus’s Front (4 base + 4 range + 1 movement - 4 target movement = 5): rolled 8, rolled 9 to confirm, hit Front (0/34 armor, 2/8 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Wolverine (4 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 3 target movement + 1 secondary target - 2 pulse laser = 9): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Wolverine (4 base + 4 range + 1 movement + 3 target movement + 1 secondary target = 13): automatic miss!
- Gains 29 heat, sinks 32

Legacy (Player)
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Brutus’s Front (4 base + 4 range + 3 movement - 4 enemy movement = 7): rolled 9, rolled 6 to confirm, hit Front (0/8 structure remaining) Vehicle destroyed!
- Gains 4 heat, sinks 18

Lao Hu
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1518!
- Fires ER Large Laser at Legacy (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 12): rolled 10, miss!
- Gains 14 heat, sinks 20!

Archer
- Holds fire!
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 24!

Snake
- Holds fire!
- Gains 5 heat, sinks 22!

Wolverine
- Fires ER Large Laser at BattleMaster (4 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement = 7): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires SRM-6 at BattleMaster (4 base + 4 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement = 11): rolled 8, miss!
- Gained 21 heat, sinks 24!

Brutus
- Fires LRM-20 at BattleMaster (4 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement = 8): rolled 10, 16 missiles hit Right Torso (15/28 armor remaining), Right Torso (10/28 armor remaining), Right Leg (6/26 armor remaining (TAC!)), Center Torso (7/40 armor remaining)!

Demolisher (Gauss)
- Holds fire!

End Phase
BattleMaster (Player)
- Through-armor critical chance in Right Leg! 2 critical hits sustained!
- - Lower leg actuator damaged!
- - Hip actuator damaged!
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (4 base + 3 actuator damage = 7): rolled 8, succeeds!

Player Status:

Opposing Force Status:

Mission Objective:
- Hurt them (complete)
- - Hurt them more (complete)
- - - Teach them the Word (complete)

Secondary Objectives:
- Defend the Turret Control Tower (0/1)
- Defend the Administration Building (0/1)
- Keep enemy `Mechs out of the `Mechbay (Failed!)

After-Action Report:

I was wrong, animating that gif did hold up the update. Sorry!

Also vote for MVPs

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
So there WAS a nuke down there?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
From the beginning.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I guess we don't get to know until afterward whether or not Kernoff survived.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
YESSSSSSSSSSssssssss

MVP: Catapult II
OPFOR MVP: Wolverine
Best of Show: Helios

CoffeeQaddaffi fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 9, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

We won! :supaburn:

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Good loving show Goonlance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
So they held off the Capellans to commit suicide by nuke?

Also, amazing show by Goonlevel.

Opfor MVP - them cranes
Player MVP - Helios

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 9, 2015

• Locked thread