Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

W.T. Fits posted:

The LP began on Jan 21, 2011. So next month will mark the 5 year anniversary. :toot:

You began following back in March of 2011; it should be noted the thread was only on the second scenario and already up to page 121 at that point.

:shobon: Thanks for actually checking the details

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

W.T. Fits posted:

The LP began on Jan 21, 2011. So next month will mark the 5 year anniversary. :toot:

You began following back in March of 2011; it should be noted the thread was only on the second scenario and already up to page 121 at that point.

This got me checking my own involvement. Somewhat amusingly, it turns out my first post (Feb 2nd, 2011) was a vote for the Death Commandos. Given I later played as them in the missions leading ultimately to the OpFor here, seems fitting.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
With the Holiday this week, orders for the next update aren't going to be due until January 3rd. There will still be an update today and if I get enough to do an update sometime this week, great, but don't worry too much about it. My schedule's going to be all sorts of messed-up to cover for holiday shifts anyway.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Work kicked my rear end, I think im late on mine. I'll try to have them in soonest, sorry if it's an inconvenience

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

TheParadigm posted:

Work kicked my rear end, I think im late on mine. I'll try to have them in soonest, sorry if it's an inconvenience

It's not, I expect delays around the holidays so if we've got to delay we've got to delay. I'll find something to amuse everyone with.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
You never did finish the chronicles of Jeremiah Rose, did you? :unsmigghh:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Scintilla posted:

You never did finish the chronicles of Jeremiah Rose, did you? :unsmigghh:

I did not, and I also misplaced the MWDA book. I should dig that out and do another few cha--:suicide:

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's not, I expect delays around the holidays so if we've got to delay we've got to delay. I'll find something to amuse everyone with.

Thanks. I just sent them in.

I'm moving to 1817 and opening up on golden boy or the pillager unless aces or teammates happen.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Just a (hopefully friendly!) reminder that I want players to declare an actual primary target for shooting orders.

If something happens that makes you unable to fire at that target (such as it moving out of your line of sight if it's an ACE), that's when contingencies for alternate targets kick in.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

If that was aimed at me and not other players you're looking at due to starting the update, I can adjust that real fast.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

TheParadigm posted:

If that was aimed at me and not other players you're looking at due to starting the update, I can adjust that real fast.

Just meant it in general. I know it's an issue with aces, but I still want a primary target at least.

And no contingencies like "Unless I have a better shot at this target" 'cause that's not how target selection works. :shobon:

Very bloody turn so far.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Very bloody turn so far.

Yesssssss.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
The dice thirst.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
I have the feeling that my Guillotine has acquired some unplanned cockpit ventilation.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Chin up now; I'm standing and delivering in my 90% dead mech (which is full of explosives) into an extremely fragile mech, so there's up to two corpses explained.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Chin up now; I'm standing and delivering in my 90% dead mech (which is full of explosives) into an extremely fragile mech, so there's up to two corpses explained.

Too bad you can't rip some ammo out of your own 'Mech and hurl it at the enemy, dramatically shooting it just as it strikes their center torso.

I'm going to email Stackpole, have him toss that in the new novel.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Devorum posted:

Too bad you can't rip some ammo out of your own 'Mech and hurl it at the enemy, dramatically shooting it just as it strikes their center torso.

I'm going to email Stackpole, have him toss that in the new novel.

See if you can retroactively pledge at the highest tier to the Battletech Kickstarter, then get Stackpole to write it in to the novella that comes as part of the package!

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
That sounds loving awesome, goddamn.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Rise of the Phoenix: Tactical Update 8

“Captain, they’re piling up. You have to—”

Coronado’s Rampage staggered as the long-burning particle beams of a pair of PPCs caught it. Compared to their radiance, the half-second flash of the Warhammer’s medium lasers went practically unseen. The Rampage withered as the armor protecting its left breast melted and ran like wax. The Warhammer pilot kept his PPCs on target, pushing his heat curve as he attacked Coronado’s crippled machine. The Rampage shuddered and jerked, its chest collapsing as its superheated bones gave way.

The Rampage toppled, its engine clogged with its own white-hot internals. It would likely be an unrecoverable loss, Sergeant Almeier thought. That would be a heavy blow to Lt. Coronado’s ego, even though Rory suspected Carlos would do everything in his power to get her into another machine. Assuming she survived, the damage to her machine had been so sudden and so complete he hadn’t seen her eject. Alpha striking in anything heavier than a medium BattleMech was always a risk, the enemy Warhammer was practically white-hot on Rory’s thermals as it struggled and failed to compensate with its heat load. It’d need a little time to cool down before it was a threat again and, realizing the risk, the enemy pilot turned away to better use its arms and sides to shield itself. Rory doubted he was in any position to pursue.

A moment later a forest green Marauder proved him right, its nearly-unblemished armor glittering with ostentatious golden filigree. These were showcase `Mechs, he realized with alarm. His surprise threw off his balance and the Guillotine stumbled—a foolish, rookie mistake the bearded old man would never live down if the unit made it through intact. That the enemy had never been meant to take the field hardly mattered when, at least on his small corner of the battlefield, they seemed to be winning.

Movement Phase
Rampage
- Stands carefully (4 base + 2 actuator damage - 2 careful stand = 4): rolled 7, succeeds!

Timber Wolf
- Deactivates CNI

Shooting Phase
Grand Titan (Player)
- Fires Large X-Pulse Laser at Pillager Liu Bei (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 5): rolled 8, hit Right Leg (28/42 armor remaining)!
- Fires Large X-Pulse Laser at Pillager Liu Bei (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 5): rolled 5, hit Left Leg (19/42 armor remaining)!
- Fires SRM-6 w/Artemis IV at Pillager Liu Bei (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 7): rolled 5, miss!
- Gains 34 heat, sinks 34!

Rampage (Player)
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Warhammer Golden Boy (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 4): rolled 10, hit Right Arm (12/21 armor remaining)!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Warhammer Golden Boy (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 minimum range = 8): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Warhammer Golden Boy (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 9, hit Center Torso (6/26 armor remaining)!
- Fires Flamer (Damage) at Warhammer Golden Boy (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 11, hit Left Arm (19/21 armor remaining)!
- Fires LB-10X Autocannon (Cluster) at Warhammer Golden Boy (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 cluster = 5): rolled 4, miss!
- Gains 21 heat, sinks 20!

Guillotine (Player)
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1612!
- Fires ER Large Laser at Warhammer Golden Boy (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 4): rolled 5, hit Right Arm (4/21 armor remaining)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Warhammer Golden Boy (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 4): rolled 8, hit Left Torso (5/21 armor remaining)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Warhammer Golden Boy (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 4): rolled 4, hit Right Torso (16/21 armor remaining)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Warhammer Golden Boy (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 4): rolled 10, Left Arm (14/21 armor remaining)!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at Warhammer Golden Boy (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement = 5): rolled 12, 6 missiles hit Left Leg (9/20 armor remaining), Left Torso (3/21 armor remaining), Center Torso (4/26 armor remaining), Center Torso (2/26 armor remaining), Left Arm (12/21 armor remaining), Center Torso (0/26 armor remaining)!
- Gains 33 heat, sinks 28! Overheating!

Gallowglas (Player)
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 2214!
- Fires ER PPC at Warhammer Golden Boy (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 smoke + 2 glare = 11): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires Large Laser at Warhammer Golden Boy (3 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 smoke + 2 glare = 13): automatic miss!
- Fires Large Laser at Warhammer Golden Boy (3 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 smoke + 2 glare = 13): automatic miss!
- Gains 34 heat, sinks 36!

BattleMaster (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 42!

Archer (Player)
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1025!
- Fires LRM/20 w/Artemis IV at Warhammer Jiangshi (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 4): rolled 6, 20 missiles hit Left Torso (10/21 armor remaining), Right Torso (9/15 structure remaining (Crit!)), Left Torso (5/21 armor remaining), Right Torso (4/15 structure remaining (Crit!))!
- Fires LRM/20 w/Artemis IV at Warhammer Jiangshi (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 4): rolled 5, hit 12 missiles hit Right Torso (0/15 structure remaining (Torso destroyed! `Mech destroyed!)), Center Torso (15/26 armor remaining), Right Leg (3/15 structure remaining (Crit!))!
- Fires Medium Laser at Warhammer Jiangshi (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 4): rolled 2, miss!
- Gains 14 heat, sinks 20!

Wolverine II (Player)
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Pillager (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement = 7): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Pillager (2 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 7): rolled 8, hit Right Leg (22/42 armor remaining)!
- Fires SRM-6 w/Artemis IV at Pillager (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement = 7): rolled 6, miss!
- Gains 14 heat, sinks 20!

King Cobra (Player)
- No Line of Sight to target!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 26!

Timber Wolf H (Player)
- Warhammer Golden Boy accepts Line of Sight!
- Fires Heavy Large Laser at Warhammer Golden Boy (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 5): rolled 10, hit Left Leg (0/20 armor, 8/15 structure remaining (Crit!))!
- Fires Heavy Large Laser at Warhammer Golden Boy (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 5): rolled 8, hit Left Arm (0/21 armor, 7/11 structure remaining (Crit!))!
- Gains 38 heat, sinks 36!

Shadow Hawk Bai Hu (White)
- Fires Heavy PPC at Rampage (3 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement = 8): rolled 7, miss!

Warhammer Gong Gong (Black and Orange)
- Holds fire!

Warhammer Golden Boy (Gold)
- Fires eER PPC at Rampage (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 3): rolled 6, hit Left Torso (0/26 armor, 9/18 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Fires eER PPC at Rampage (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 3): rolled 3, hit Left Leg (0/32 armor, 7/18 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Rampage (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 3): rolled 8, hit Left Torso (4/18 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Rampage (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 3): rolled 8, hit Right Torso (5/18 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Rampage (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 3): rolled 8, hit Left Torso (0/18 structure remaining)! Torso destroyed! `Mech destroyed!
- - Damage transfers to Center Torso (13/40 armor remaining)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Rampage (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 3): rolled 7, hit Left Leg (2/18 structure remaining)! Crit!

Shadow Hawk Qing Long (Blue)
- Holds fire!

Marauder Guan Yu (Green ACE!)
- Fires Large VSPL at Guillotine (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 pulse laser = 5): rolled 8, hit Right Torso (6/21 armor remaining)!
- Fires Large VSPL at Guillotine (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 pulse laser = 5): rolled 11, hit Right Leg (17/21 armor remaining)!
- Fires Snub-Nose PPC at Guillotine (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 6, hit Right Leg (7/21 armor remaining)!

Marauder Zhang Fei (Silver and Red ACE!)
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1713!
- Fires ER Large Laser at Guillotine (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement = 5): rolled 6, hit Right Arm (12/20 armor remaining)!
- Fires LRM-15 (Smoke) at hex 1714 (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement - 4 enemy movement + 1 secondary target = 1): automatic hit!
- Fires LRM-15 (Smoke) at hex 1611 (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement - 4 enemy movement + 2 secondary target = 2): automatic hit!

Pillager Liu Bei (Red and Gold ACE!)
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Grand Titan (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 8, hit Right Torso (16/31 armor remaining)!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Grand Titan (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 7, hit Left Leg (8/38 armor remaining)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Grand Titan (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 7, hit Left Arm (14/29 armor remaining)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Grand Titan (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Grand Titan (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 7, hit Left Arm (7/29 armor remaining)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Grand Titan (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 5, miss!

End Phase
Pillager
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (3 base + 1 massive damage = 4): rolled 9, succeeds!

Warhammer Golden Boy
- Critical chance in Left Leg! 1 critical hit sustained!
- - Upper Leg Actuator hit!
- Critical chance in Left Arm! Limb blown off!
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (3 base + 1 massive damage + 1 actuator damage = 5): rolled 11, succeeds!

Guillotine
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (4 base + 1 massive damage = 5): rolled 4, fails!
- - Must pass a piloting test to avoid pilot damage (4 base + 1 massive damage + 2 avoiding damage = 7): rolled 7, succeeds!
- - Suffers 7 damage in the fall to Center Torso (19/29 armor remaining), Right Torso (4/21 armor remaining)

Grand Titan
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (3 base + 1 massive damage = 4): rolled 7, succeeds!

Physical Combat Phase:
Marauder Guan Yu
- Kicks Guillotine (3 base + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement - 2 kick = 4): rolled 9, hit Right Torso (0/21 armor, 4/15 structure remaining)! Crit!

End Phase:
Guillotine
- Critical chance in Right Torso! 1 critical hit sustained!
- - Double Heat Sink hit!

Player Status:

Opposing Force Status:

Special Rules:
Glare – Any unit standing above level 0 suffers a -2 penalty due to intense sunlight reflecting off the local rocks. All units attacking a unit standing above level 0 suffer a -1 penalty due to intense sunlight reflecting off the target unit. These penalties stack.

Mission Objective:
- Break Through (0/1)

Orders Due: Midnight Sunday, January 3, 2016!

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Welp, that could've gone a lot better. At least the Warhammer is badly overheated and even closer to dead.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
:stare:

Well... uh... it's good to know I'm popular.

Am I correct in thinking I can only stand up this turn?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

The damage spreads this round were so :battletech: it hurts. At least the Warhammer got his arm blown off, and the C3 network is down for one lance.

Coronado will definitely be getting a new ride once we get off this rock.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Alright,can't move to 1720 as I originally planned,any good alternate movement locations?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

That Pillager is wrecking poo poo but is at 50% or less armour in all the important spots, might be worth trying to focus it down if possible. It also has G2 compared to G3 on everything else, might be a commander or something? Don't know if taking him out would have any extra effect but it can't hurt.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

VolticSurge posted:

Alright,can't move to 1720 as I originally planned,any good alternate movement locations?

You should be able to make it to 1720, facing 1819 with 6 MP. The King Cobra won't be there after it moves.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

VolticSurge posted:

You could go there because the KC isn't going to stand still, but you might want to go to 1220 since the fight is wrapping around to that left side anyhow.

The good news: Warhammer is super crippled, and should 100% die this turn. Grey and Red Marauder also has no move mod, it's pretty vulnerable.

The Wolverine is in a good spot to jump directly behind the Shadowhawk and kick it, along with shooting something like aforementioned Marauder. The Archer and Battlemaster can also get in to LoS to shoot the White Shadowhawk, or something more important like the Pillager if it stays on that side of the river/in LOS.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 21, 2015

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

So many choices. Where to move to. How stupid would it be to just walk to 1812 for the +2, tanking the golden boy?

VolticSurge posted:

Remember, the whole team moves at the same time. I could take your spot just fine.

You could go 1121 and maybe shoot the pillager depending on where it goes?

Does anyone want things spotted this turn?

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 21, 2015

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I've jumped the gun on :fork: before, but this is looking really bad.

I thought sending the clanners around to the right was risky, and it seems that was the case - not only are they on the wrong side of the canyon from all the action, but that smoke cover also worsens what shooting options they have. That brawl is now 5 on 3, nowhere to run, with the Guillotine on the ground and ready to go the way of the Rampage. There's no way to body-block Carlos this turn and while his armor's still holding up he won't last long under concentrated fire (or one more lucky headshot), not to mention he's basically backed into a corner and running would expose the hole in his back.

Not much else to do, though. The Battlemaster, Archer and Clanners have all been delayed too much, and now they'll be juuuust out of reach for the critical turns. If Carlos survives a couple rounds from pure luck they might be able to get the heat off him but yeesh.

Edit: Yeah why would the Battlemaster break right and follow the clanners? You'd be deliberately moving away from the action.

Edit2: Can Golden Boy bring their guns to bear on Carlos and the Wolverine at the moment, or will they have to settle for the Guillotine? One of the "luckier" breaks would be if the Warhammer and Marauders decided to gang up on the Guillotine and finish it off this turn so the Titan and the Wolverine only have to worry about the Pillager and the Shadowhawk. I guess since the grey Marauder's not an ace and decided to stay put it's probably planning to ignore the Guillotine, so that's at least 3-on-2 for next turn.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 21, 2015

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Dolash posted:

Edit2: Can Golden Boy bring their guns to bear on Carlos and the Wolverine at the moment, or will they have to settle for the Guillotine? One of the "luckier" breaks would be if the Warhammer and Marauders decided to gang up on the Guillotine and finish it off this turn so the Titan and the Wolverine only have to worry about the Pillager and the Shadowhawk. I guess since the grey Marauder's not an ace and decided to stay put it's probably planning to ignore the Guillotine, so that's at least 3-on-2 for next turn.

Golden Boy's eating a +3 heat penalty to attacks, so I'm best off not using it or sacrificing it to delay Dusk and Caesar.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Actually, from what we learned last turn, smoke doesn't break LOS, only a shooting penalty.

I'm kinda loving it, since i can ignore it and hit chasing mechs from behind.

Thanatz
Nov 4, 2010
Just curious, but are the Capellans going to be able to recover any of the mechs they lose here? It seems like they are in process of abandoning this world, and I can't imagine recovery is going to be a priority/possibility for them. And if they can't, what will they do to the person who sent a company of experimental battlemechs out to attack a basically unnecessary target.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

TheParadigm posted:

Actually, from what we learned last turn, smoke doesn't break LOS, only a shooting penalty.

Smoke counts as light woods so it absolutely does break line of sight if there's enough of it.

Thanatz posted:

Just curious, but are the Capellans going to be able to recover any of the mechs they lose here? It seems like they are in process of abandoning this world.

They're not, they're just shifting a different garrison unit in and moving Project Phoenix somewhere safer.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Thanatz posted:

Just curious, but are the Capellans going to be able to recover any of the mechs they lose here? It seems like they are in process of abandoning this world, and I can't imagine recovery is going to be a priority/possibility for them. And if they can't, what will they do to the person who sent a company of experimental battlemechs out to attack a basically unnecessary target.

For what it's worth, the Corsairs showing up is an awful break for the Capellan experimentals. If it was just them vs. Carlos's command lance this battle would already be over and they probably wouldn't have too many losses to worry about. If the Corsairs didn't need to save Carlos and the goal was just to wipe out the Capellans' toys, I think they'd have this battle pretty well in hand.

This opens up the possibility for double-losing! If Carlos dies, the Corsairs have nothing to show for their efforts and the Mariks suffer a real setback, but if the Capellan experimentals get destroyed in the process that's a significant setback for their fledgling mad science program and in pursuit of a goal they didn't care that much about.

I don't really know why the Capellans are pulling out, aside from "poo poo, this is the place we committed a strategic-level warcrime, better bail!". From the sounds of the political vote previous the League isn't in position to take the world any time soon so it's not like they'll be able to recover the tech even if they win the field (and assuming the Corsairs don't just salvage it for their own, since Duncan never knew it was there and no one would've survived to tell him different).

Edit: Ah, okay, so they were just swapping in a new garrison. Makes sense considering the last garrison got reduced by half. I bet the Prefecture Guard will be guarding the latrines from now on.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The death pit claims another (few) victim(s).

Thanatz
Nov 4, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

They're not, they're just shifting a different garrison unit in and moving Project Phoenix somewhere safer.

Okay, that makes sense.

How long does salvaging a mech take anyways?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
If your 'Mechs have a hand, as long as it takes to drag bits to the DropShip.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Dolash posted:

I've jumped the gun on :fork: before, but this is looking really bad.

I thought sending the clanners around to the right was risky, and it seems that was the case - not only are they on the wrong side of the canyon from all the action, but that smoke cover also worsens what shooting options they have. That brawl is now 5 on 3, nowhere to run, with the Guillotine on the ground and ready to go the way of the Rampage. There's no way to body-block Carlos this turn and while his armor's still holding up he won't last long under concentrated fire (or one more lucky headshot), not to mention he's basically backed into a corner and running would expose the hole in his back.

Not much else to do, though. The Battlemaster, Archer and Clanners have all been delayed too much, and now they'll be juuuust out of reach for the critical turns. If Carlos survives a couple rounds from pure luck they might be able to get the heat off him but yeesh.

Edit: Yeah why would the Battlemaster break right and follow the clanners? You'd be deliberately moving away from the action.

Bm and archer are one turn from carlos.

Carlos moves to 1315, which also covers his rear, and the archer and bm move into position, next turn they are past carlos sweeping up. IF handled properly the players can deny everyone but white shawk and pillager los and firing on carlos and hammer apart the pillager with massive firepower.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Thanatz posted:

How long does salvaging a mech take anyways?

Weeks, typically. They're hard to move so it almost always has to be done on-site.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Or if you can't carry the useful bits, you could winch it onto a MechRec vehicle and haul it to your DropShip or a repair facility, rather than try to bring all the bits you need to the middle of a field/city/airless waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

If the players hold the field they'd be able to at least grab some dismembered limbs or something though right? And if the Grand Titan makes it out they'll get the X-Pulses to have a look at, along with any other high tech gear that might be inside it.

• Locked thread