Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kirenski
Sep 5, 2012
Wolverine II

Went with this:

Movement:
Jump to 0910 facing 1010.

Shooting:

Firing Gauss rifle, Medium pulse laser then SRM at the pillager in that order in 1111.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Don't forget to send in orders guys. :saddowns:

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

They may still think that Lowtax's credit card bounced again.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Yeah, the downtime is pretty terrible if you're not in the US time zones and given that it was an automated process it might strike again tomorrow if they don't find it and, well, since they didn't find it the first time...

It might be worth it to extend the time limit a bit.

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 13, 2016

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Ah, I didn't know the forums were having trouble.

That is entirely grounds for a delay-of-game. Get those orders in when you can and I'll roll with it. :shobon:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah the forums have been down from 1 am - 10 am for the last two days since our new cloud host (located in CST) keeps automatically/incorrectly deactivating Lowtax's account nightly and can't fix it till the billing department opens at 9 am their time. It's dumb!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Well, poo poo.

They should tell their janitors to stop unplugging the account servers to dust.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

It's an automated process in billing deactivating certain accounts for various reasons according to certain criteria and clearly they aren't chosen as well as they could be.

It's pretty amazing that it happened a second time.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I was being facetious.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I am rather bad at human communication.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar
ovement:

starting 2116
walking(backwards) 2116->2215->left turn-> 2214 -> rt turn

end 2214 facing 2115

shooting:

ERppc, both lg lasers at the Pillager in 1111

Puts me out of LOS from the blue shadowhawk and hopefully can help drop that pillager.
I'm trying to stay alive for as long as possible to keep taking shots.

also @!#$%%!@#$!@# forum downtime

shalafi4 fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 14, 2016

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Does anyone still need to submit orders still?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
No, but I didn't have time today to do an update.

Update will be Sunday, since that's the next day I'll have the 3+ hours set aside to do the update.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Let’s Read Mechwarrior Dark Age
A Brand New Era, A Brand New Saga!
GHOST WAR
a BattleTech novel
NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLING AUTHOR
MICHAEL A. STACKPOLE

Part 7

Chapter 16

The novel decides it’s going to remind us that it could’ve been a BattleTech novel but is poo poo instead by giving us a Pointless Combat Exercise moment, just like when Kai Allard Liao heroically shot up a water tower with Yen Lo Wang that one time!

Sam Max Mason Fuckface pilots a Mad Cat Mk. III. For those not in the know, the Mad Cat Mk. III was Dark Age’s attempt at making a signature `Mech. It’s basically a lovely non-Omni Stormcrow.

No really, let’s compare them!

Stormcrow:
55 ton 6/9/0, XL engine, endo, 9.5 tons of FF armor, 23 tons of weapons and equipment.

Mad Cat III:
55 ton 6/9/0, XL engine, endo, 9 tons of FF armor, 23.5 tons of weapons and equipment.

Really, the only “remarkable” thing about the Mad Cat III is that it’s a 55 ton `Mech with a part of Artemis LRM-20s. Other than that it’s got a couple of medium lasers and some lovely back-up weapons. The only half-decent thing about the Mad Cat III is that one variant carries Ferro-Lamellor, which might’ve been pretty great if the Mad Cat III-X had more than 75% armor coverage (it doesn’t). Getting effectively 20% more armor isn’t all that beneficial if you’re sacrificing 25% of your efficient maximum to get it. :v:

But I’m digressing. Mason is having a training exercise with Janella. At first I thought they were fighting each other since Mason’s shooting at a Centurion and when we last saw Janella in a BattleMech it was a Centurion (and Mason was going to be in the terribly lovely Dark Ages Black Hawk), but apparently she was just dicking around in it and left her good `Mech on Terra. Janella’s actually in a Tundra Wolf, the ugly piece of poo poo on the book’s cover and the real “iconic” ‘mech for Clickytech.

I’d talk about the Tundra Wolf a little but all you need to know is that it weighs 75 tons and the common Dark Age variant Janella uses needs an XL Engine to reach speeds of 3/5. It’s an underweight, fragile Dire Wolf.

But I’m digressing again. Mason’s named his lovely babby Timber Wolf the “Ghost.” Because you need a Ghost to carry a Ghost Knight into his Ghost War so he can make some Ghost Heat while doing Ghost Damage to Ghost Enemies in this Ghost Plot. :suicide:

Janella’s Tundra Wolf is named “Andrea.” Named after her mother. Not creepy at all.

Some bullshit happens including Janella one-shotting a Catapult with her LRM-10 (lol) and they head back. Also the Mad Cat III, a design based on the Inner Sphere nickname of a Clan `Mech, has a nickname of its own. Apparently it’s the “Miffed Kitty.”

Goddamn it.

I keep waiting for something to happen this chapter but nope, time to spend three pages talking about the beauty of the desert. Then he hits on Janella and I care so little about any of this that the novel actually takes a moment to remind me to try to pay attention to it.

quote:

[A paragraph-length Stackpole sentence], eliminating distraction is vital. Focus. It’s all about focus.

Emphasis not mine.

Chapter 17

Mason and Janella have dinner with Janella’s parents. It is so hard to care about any of this, even when the phrase “the near orgasmic moaning that accompanies dessert” is used. Also, lolwhat?

Anyway, nothing of any interest happens and we’re back in the briefing room and oh hey Kitsune Kurita’s here. :suicide:

Nothing happens this chapter. I’d say ‘character building’ but Mason’s pretty established, this is just padding.

Chapter 18

Things be bad in the Republic of the Sphere. Victor Steiner-Davion calls all humans everywhere unthinking idiots.

quote:

“I would challenge your assertion that we are really thinking creatures.”

quote:

“[…] While we can hope we are wise, most of mankind is barely sentient. When you look at Maslow’s Hierarchy of Human Needs, it is concerned mostly with food, shelter, and reproduction.

And that’s a snake-eyes on that to-hit roll and Stackpole misses the point of Maslow's Hierarchy completely!

This is, of course, presented as absolute fact because Victor Davion is saying it (and, as he’s correcting the prior assertion of a female character I guess that means he’s mansplaining it too).

quote:

Janella arched an eyebrow. “You’re not trying to say that humans are cattle, are you, my lord?

“Not at all. Sheep is a preferable comparison because it allows for the existence of shepherds and wolves.”

So of course this is a segue into another analogy in which Mason is going to become a wolfhound. Because it’s Stackpole and he loves those. Hooray. This would all be pointless except at the end of the dinner that happens in this chapter (something like the fifth or sixth meal we’ve had in the past four chapters) Mr. Handy sends Sam Donnely AKA Mason Fuckface a job offer. HOW CONVENIENT!

Chapter 19

Mr. Handy is on Basalt, a minor world of no significance. Just like the plot of this book!

Nothing happens.

:jerkbag:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

To be fair, "completely extraneous and worse than a Stormcrow" describes at least 95% of all mechs and clickymech rules have wildly different design goals.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 16, 2016

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh, humanity has a set of universal needs and someone decided to make a food pyramid out of them? Welp! That's proof that everyone's hosed.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

PoptartsNinja posted:

But I’m digressing again. Mason’s named his lovely babby Timber Wolf the “Ghost.” Because you need a Ghost to carry a Ghost Knight into his Ghost War so he can make some Ghost Heat while doing Ghost Damage to Ghost Enemies in this Ghost Plot. :suicide:

Sounds like a real ghost infestation. Better get Hogarth's Heroes on the job.

Amhazair
Feb 13, 2012
I try to tell myself that these let's read updates seem to make no sense because I only read them diagonally and occasionaly regularly skip an update. I really try...

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

poptartsninja posted:

For those not in the know, the Mad Cat Mk. III was Dark Age’s attempt at making a signature `Mech

Clix used the Mad Cat MkII as the "iconic" mech on a lot of their products. Strange thing was that they never actualy made a mini for it, just the Mad Cat II which was essentially a Mad Cat.

They did eventually come out with the Savage Wolf (Mad Cat Mk4) and the Vulture Mk4, which are beautiful sculpts, and from what I see over in the CBT forums, pretty well received.

I always thought the Tundra Wolf would've looked way better if they had just made the legs less spindly. Was always a cool mini though.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

This "Let's Read" has helped to assuage any doubts I may have had about dumping this entire series at a used book store years ago.

Except, possibly, a small regret that I may have inflicted them on some other poor, unsuspecting soul.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

If Andrea was dead I would have made a Neon Genesis Evangelion reference. Sadly she is not?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Kitsune Kurita

This name makes me angry for some unexplained reason. :argh:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Naming your ride after your still living mother is even weirder than if she was dead.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Not that weird if she's dead.

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!

Affi posted:

Not that weird if she's dead.

The Fury Road flamethrower guitarist was wearing his dead mothers face. :black101: What's in a name? I don't see the problem here.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Back Hack posted:

This name makes me angry for some unexplained reason. :argh:

It's like when it comes to naming Kurita characters Stackpole just thumbs through a list of vaguely japanese terms. And then of course he picks only those starting with "k" because you should always apply additional alliteration.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Doesn't Kitsune mean fox? Isn't there already a pretty high up master strategist guy called that in the BT Universe?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

DatonKallandor posted:

Doesn't Kitsune mean fox? Isn't there already a pretty high up master strategist guy called that in the BT Universe?

Yes. Kitsune Kurita is Victor and Omi's secret bastard son. Omi named him after Hanse Davion in a way that somehow nobody could guess, because nobody in a Stackpole novel is smarter than Stackpole himself. It was treated as a shocking surprise.

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

Perestroika posted:

It's like when it comes to naming Kurita characters Stackpole just thumbs through a list of vaguely japanese terms. And then of course he picks only those starting with "k" because you should always apply additional alliteration.

Boooooo.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Kitsune is a dude? From the name I thought they were a girl. Michael Stackpole is insufficiently weeaboo to be writing about the Combine imo.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Just remember, as dumb and boring as Ghost War is it's still not the worst BattleTech novel Stackpole ever wrote.

That honor goes to 'Natural Selection,' which I'm considering reading after I finish Ghost War. I might make the choice part of a contest or a vote: do I gush about the Cassie Suthorn books, or do I smash my face against Natural Selection and Kai's Life Sucks Assumption of Risk?

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 16, 2016

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Gush about the Caballeros. You deserve some measure of pleasure.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Did you ever finish the Warrior trilogy? :v:

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Your fate will be tied to Carlos's life.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

PoptartsNinja posted:

Just remember, as dumb and boring as Ghost War is it's still not the worst BattleTech novel Stackpole ever wrote.

That honor goes to 'Natural Selection,' which I'm considering reading after I finish Ghost War. I might make the choice part of a contest or a vote: do I gush about the Cassie Suthorn books, or do I smash my face against Natural Selection and Kai's Life Sucks Assumption of Risk?

Gush about Cassie, cause that actually interests me!

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
If you got them Sword of Sedition or Surrender your Dreams would be enjoyable. Or Pandora's Gambit if you want some real political dickering and backstabbing.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I think it may finally be time to gush over the Cassie Suthorn books.

It would be a nice change of pace for you to finally Let's Read something good.

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

I've actually been really curious about Cassie Suthorn and the Caballeros ever since PTN started gushing about them oh, about four years ago.

Instead we get the 'best' of Stackpole and Jeremiah Rose. And :parrot:. Basically I think we've all earned something nice for a change.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

LeadSled posted:

Basically I think we've all earned something nice for a change.

But isn't the best BattleTech fiction written by some dude named "Poptarts Ninja" and read by some other person named "Duncan Fisher"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinarato
Apr 22, 2013
Oh Duncan Fisher... you are the best part of MW4

• Locked thread