Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Things be bad in the Republic of the Sphere. Victor Steiner-Davion calls all humans everywhere unthinking idiots.

You can also read it as "people who are poor are basically animals" which is in line with Stackpole's rather Randian outlook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I like how whenever anybody talks about MW4 we're specifically talking about MW4:Mercs and not the base game or its expansion campaign.

I could've sworn I saw someone somewhere post something about a guy named Ian Dresari and my first thought was, "... is that supposed to be Spectre's real name?"

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

At least MW2 had you playing as the Clans to help differentiate it from the vastly superior MW2:Mercs. Vanilla MW4 doesn't even have that. You're just some rando fighting in the Fedcom civil war, and MW4:Mercs even does the civil war better!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I like how whenever anybody talks about MW4 we're specifically talking about MW4:Mercs and not the base game or its expansion campaign.

I could've sworn I saw someone somewhere post something about a guy named Ian Dresari and my first thought was, "... is that supposed to be Spectre's real name?"

I posted about playing the base MW4 (and the first expansion, Black Knight) a few times in this thread. It's just that Mercs used the same system and fleshed things about a bit more in the single player, so there's more to say about it.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

T.G. Xarbala posted:

The only good thing about MW4: Vengeance is that it gave us MW4: Black Knight, which had a much more enjoyable campaign (especially getting to kill Casey Nolan, the annoying lancemate from the original).

But nah, Spectre's real name is never stated, which can become somewhat comical when everyone else is using their rank and real names, and you're just going around with a callsign.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

To be fair, I don't think any of the mercenaries ever use their real name except for Aisa/Falcon. Castle doesn't for sure.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I seem to recall Black Knight pulling some dick moves with regards to your inventory, removing certain mechs / weapons after each mission group unless you had them piloted / equipped. Its Free Market was also garbage compared to the one in Mercenaries.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Scintilla posted:

I seem to recall Black Knight pulling some dick moves with regards to your inventory, removing certain mechs / weapons after each mission group unless you had them piloted / equipped. Its Free Market was also garbage compared to the one in Mercenaries.

Yeah, but you were traveling through an ongoing war. Resource management is a big part of Black Knight.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zurai posted:

To be fair, I don't think any of the mercenaries ever use their real name except for Aisa/Falcon. Castle doesn't for sure.

The real names of the pilots were given in their dossiers/résumés , but they only used callsigns during actual gameplay.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Why_PTN_has_a_BV_disadvantage.txt

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Why_PTN_has_a_BV_disadvantage.txt

Players missed out on orders? Or just bad target coordination?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Nothing of the sort!

VVV Correct!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 17, 2016

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

lilljonas posted:

Players missed out on orders? Or just bad target coordination?

The dice. It's always the dice.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I'm guessing I took a head shot, had my torso blown off, and all my ammo got critted.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
What are the penalties for a skin-of-teeth ejection, again? :unsmigghh:

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
Presumably my Guillotine just died in a most pyrotechnic fashion.

Or worse yet, Carlos just died in a most pyrotechnic fashion. :ohdear:

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
The drop ship exploded. :tinfoil:

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
What's this ominous feeling over my head? :tinfoil:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Everyone is dead.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The nuke went off.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Twelve HAG equipped Project Phoenix Urbies performed an orbital drop right on top of us. Death from above...from space. :black101:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm going to be optimistic and say it's a situation where having even one more shooter would've destroyed Carlos, and that it's a narrow escape due to his BV disadvantage.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'm going to guess that PTN's been making a secret roll for Capellan reinforcements to show up every turn and he's just made it.

Didn't you wonder where the rest of the Super Sentai Shadowhawk Squad was?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

The rampant speculation about PTN's cryptic comments leading up to an update is always my favorite part of this thread.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Carlos definitely didn't have enough armor going into this turn for any of us to rest easy.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Rise of the Phoenix: Tactical Update 11

Captain Ward fired the moment the charging status light on her Gauss Rifle flashed, burying a nickel-ferrous slug in the Pillager’s side. It was one blow among many, but the Pillager’s pilot didn’t seem to flinch. Salome Ward had met pilots who were cool under fire, but few enough of those were willing to stand and deliver with the firepower of three enemy `Mechs leveled in their direction. The Pillager’s broad, defiant stance expressed the pilot’s determination well enough. Even that might not have been enough to keep the machine on its feet in the face of the firepower leveled against it, but the machine flexed, leaning into each hit like a drunken prize-fighter, its weapons held remarkably steady as the pilot soaked hit after hit.

The enemy machine fired just as Salome unleashed a spread of missiles its way. Even with the benefits of a fusion engine, powering a pair of gauss rifles and a number of lasers besides was a difficult feat. Most machines would automatically stagger their shots, charging a single weapon at a time rather than spending the time to charge each and every capacitor to full. Doing some damage was better than doing none, after all.

The Pillager fired every one of its weapons a hair’s breadth apart, its Gauss Rifles staving in the chest of the Corsair’s own slowly-advancing BattleMaster. Jeana’s machine toppled too quickly for Salome to really assess the damage, but the Pillager wasn’t finished. Its arm-mounted lasers filled the hole Jeana’s machine had just vacated, slicing into the Grand Titan’s back like a surgeon’s scalpels. The massive war machine’s right arm spun lazily through the air as something gave way and the machine’s still-tense myomer bundles contracted. Without resistance they were more than strong enough to fling the limb skyward—at least until basic physics snapped the lot.

“Plan’s changed,” Morgan’s grim voice sent a thrill down Salome’s spine. “Put down the last of these dogs so we can recover the downed pilots.”

Movement Phase
Timber Wolf
- Deactivates CNI

Shooting Phase
Grand Titan (Player)
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1118!
- Fires LRM-15 w/ Artemis IV at Pillager Liu Bei, but the target is not in the front firing arc!
- Fires Large X-Pulse Laser at Pillage Liu Bei (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 3): rolled 3, hit Left Torso (12/21 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Gains 21 heat, sinks 34!

Guillotine (Player)
- Fires ER Large Laser at Marauder Guan Yu (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 3): rolled 7, hit Right Torso (10/24 armor remaining)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Marauder Guan Yu (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 3): rolled 5, hit Right Torso (5/24 armor remaining)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Marauder Guan Yu (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 3): rolled 3, hit Left Leg (7/32 armor remaining)!
- Gains 24 heat, sinks 22!

Gallowglas (Player)
- Fires ER PPC at Pillager Liu Bei (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 9, hit Left Arm (18/33 armor remaining)!
- Fires Large Laser at Pillager Liu Bei (3 base + 4 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 8): rolled 9, hit Left Arm (10/33 armor remaining)!
- Fires Large Laser at Pillager Liu Bei (3 base + 4 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 8): rolled 5, miss!
- Gains 35 heat, sinks 36!

BattleMaster (Player)
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Pillager Liu Bei (2 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 3): rolled 7, hit Left Leg (0/42 armor, 19/21 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Pillager Liu Bei (2 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 3): rolled 7, hit Left Torso (6/21 armor remaining)! Crit!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Pillager Liu Bei (2 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 3): rolled 4, hit Left Leg (13/21 armor remaining)! Crit!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Pillager Liu Bei (2 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 3): rolled 9, hit Right Arm (0/33 armor, 16/17 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Pillager Liu Bei (2 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 3): rolled 5, hit Left Arm (4/33 armor remaining)!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Pillager Liu Bei (2 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 3): rolled 4, hit Left Arm (0/33 armor, 11/17 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Gains 46 heat, sinks 42!

Archer (Player)
- Fires LRM/20 w/Artemis IV at Shadow Hawk Qing Long (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 4 enemy movement = 8): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires LRM/20 w/Artemis IV at Shadow Hawk Qing Long (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 4 enemy movement = 8): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Shadow Hawk Qing Long (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 4 enemy movement = 8): rolled 10, hit Left Arm (3/18 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Shadow Hawk Qing Long (2 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 4 enemy movement = 8): rolled 10, hit Left Torso (12/19 armor remaining)!
- Gains 20 heat, sinks 20!

Wolverine II (Player)
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Pillager (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement = 5): rolled 6, hit Right Torso (1/21 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Pillager (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 3): rolled 8, hit Left Leg (7/21 armor remaining)! Crit!
- Fires SRM-6 w/Artemis IV at Pillager (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement = 5): rolled 7, 5 missiles hit Right Arm (14/17 structure remaining (Crit!)), Right Arm (12/17 structure remaining (Crit!)), Center Torso (10/48 armor remaining), Right Arm (10/17 structure remaining (Crit!)), Center Torso (8/48 armor remaining)!
- Gains 13 heat, sinks 20!

King Cobra (Player)
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Marauder Guan Yu (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 minimum range - 1 targeting computer = 6): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Marauder Guan Yu (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 4): rolled 8, hit Right Torso (0/24 armor, 14/16 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at Marauder Guan Yu (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 4): rolled 10, 6 missiles hit Right Arm (12/24 structure remaining), Right Leg (11/32 structure remaining), Right Arm (10/24 structure remaining), Right Leg (9/32 structure remaining), Left Torso (7/24 structure remaining), Right Arm (8/24 structure remaining)!
- Fires Streak Marauder Guan Yu (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 4): rolled 12, 6 missiles hit Left Torso (5/24 structure remaining), Right Arm (6/24 structure remaining), Left Leg (5/32 structure remaining), Right Arm (4/24 structure remaining), Center Torso (24/35 structure remaining), Center Torso (22/35 structure remaining)!
- Fires Flamer (Damage) at Marauder Guan Yu (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 4): rolled 9, hit Right Arm (2/24 structure remaining)!
- Gains 21 heat, sinks 26!

Timber Wolf H (Player)
- Fires Heavy Large Laser at Pillager Liu Bei (2 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 3): rolled 7, hit Left Arm (0/17 structure remaining)! Arm blown off!
- - Damage transfers to Left Torso (1/21 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Fires ER Small Laser at Pillager Liu Bei (2 base + 4 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 7): rolled 11, hit Left Torso (0/21 structure remaining)! Torso destroyed! Engine destroyed! `Mech destroyed!
- - Damage transfers to Center Torso (6/48 armor remaining)!
- Fires LRM-15 w/Artemis IV at Pillager Liu Bei (2 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 3): rolled 4, 12 missiles hit Right Torso (0/21 structure remaining (Torso Destroyed! Damage transfers to Center Torso (2/48 armor remaining)), Center Torso (0/48 armor, 28/31 structure remaining (Crit!)), Center Torso (26/31 structure remaining (Crit!))!
- Fires LRM-15 w/Artemis IV at Pillager Liu Bei (2 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 3): rolled 10, 15 missiles hit Right Leg (17/42 armor remaining), Center Torso (21/31 structure remaining (Crit!)), Center Torso (15/31 structure remaining (Crit!))!
- Gains 33 heat, sinks 36!

Warhammer Gong Gong (Black and Orange)
- Holds fire!

Shadow Hawk Qing Long (Blue)
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 2014!
- Fires Large X-Pulse Laser at Archer (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 5): rolled 7, hit Head (0/9 armor remaining)! Pilot Hit!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Archer (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement = 7): rolled 8, hit Left Torso (10/15 structure remaining)! Crit!

Marauder Guan Yu (Green)
- Fires Large VSPL at BattleMaster (3 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement - 1 pulse laser = 2): automatically hit Left Torso (6/18 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Fires Large VSPL at BattleMaster (3 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement - 1 pulse laser = 2): automatically hit Right Torso (4/18 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Fires Snub-Nose PPC at BattleMaster (3 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement = 3): rolled 8, hit Left Arm (9/28 armor remaining)!

Pillager Liu Bei (Red and Gold)
- Fires Gauss Rifle at BattleMaster (2 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement = 2): automatically hit Right Leg (11/33 armor remaining)!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at BattleMaster (2 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement = 2): automatically hit Right Torso (0/18 structure remaining)! Torso destroyed! Engine destroyed! `Mech destroyed!
- - Damage transfers to Center Torso (28/44 armor remaining)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Grand Titan (2 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 secondary target = 4): rolled 6, hit Right Arm (4/17 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Grand Titan (2 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 secondary target = 4): rolled 5, hit Right Arm (0/17 structure remaining)! Arm blown off!
- - Damage transfers to Right Torso (4/21 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Grand Titan (2 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 secondary target = 4): rolled 5, hit Rear Right Torso (0/21 structure remaining)! Torso destroyed! Engine destroyed! `Mech destroyed!
- - Damage transfers to Rear Center Torso (16/19 armor remaining)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Grand Titan (2 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 secondary target = 4): rolled 11, hit Left Leg (7/21 structure remaining)! Crit!

End Phase
Marauder Guan Yu
- Critical chance in Right Torso! No critical hits sustained!
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (3 base + 1 massive damage = 4): rolled 4, succeeds!

Archer
- Must pass a 3+ consciousness test: rolled 7, succeeds!
- Critical chance in Left Torso! 1 critical hit sustained!
- - LRM-20 damaged!
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (3 base + 1 massive damage = 4): rolled 4, succeeds!

Physical Combat Phase:
Archer
- Kicks Shadow Hawk Qing Long (3 base + 2 movement + 4 enemy movement - 2 kick = 7): rolled 5, miss!

King Cobra
- Attacks Marauder Guan Yu with Assault Mace (3 base + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 mace = 6): rolled 6, hit Left Torso (0/24 armor, 0/16 structure remaining)! `Mech destroyed!
- - Damage transfers to Center Torso (18/35 armor remaining)!

Shadow Hawk Qing Long
- Punches Archer with Left Arm (3 base + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement = 7): rolled 7, hit Right Torso (18/24 armor remaining)!

End Phase:
Warhammer Gong Gong
- Shuts down!

Shadow Hawk Qing Long
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (3 base + 0 kicked = 3): rolled 5, succeeds!

Grand Titan
- Critical chance in Left Leg! No critical hit sustained!
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (3 base + 0 kicked = 3): rolled 7, succeeds!

Turn End Phase:
Shadow Hawk Qing Long
- Activates Sole Survivor!
- Gains ACE status!

Player Status:

Opposing Force Status:

Special Rules:
Glare – Any unit standing above level 0 suffers a -2 penalty due to intense sunlight reflecting off the local rocks. All units attacking a unit standing above level 0 suffer a -1 penalty due to intense sunlight reflecting off the target unit. These penalties stack.

Sole Survivor – The last remaining enemy is fighting with unparalleled ferocity.

Mission Objective:
- Destroy the Enemy (0/1)

Orders Due: Midnight Tuesday!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Guys?

You have a 0/1 7/11/7 with ACE running around the battlefield now.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Shiiiiiiiiiiit!

What a loving way for that Pillager to go down.

And that Shadowhawk is scary but not really unstoppable, considering you've still got an overwhelming advantage on the field.

Edit: I guess it's left ambiguous, but those aren't great odds of survival there for the "Red Corsair" and Carlos. Reminds me of when Takashi Kurita went down.

We'd been idly speculating about this being the start of a FWL/LC alliance, what'll happen to those factions instead if both of those characters are dead?

Dolash fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 18, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That is the most lethal looking Shadow Hawk to ever exist.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Don't let it kick Carlos in the head.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

berryjon posted:

Guys?

You have a 0/1 7/11/7 with ACE running around the battlefield now.

It'll be a 0/1 0/0/0 smoking crater after the next good hit that left leg takes.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Voyager I posted:

Don't let it kick Carlos in the head.

Gonna put tenbux on the Shadowhawk DFA-ing the Grand Titan's corpse next turn and flattening the head.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Dolash posted:

Gonna put tenbux on the Shadowhawk DFA-ing the Grand Titan's corpse next turn and flattening the head.

It can't jump that far (and you'd be out :10bux: )

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Please rename the SHawk pilot to F. Jackson. Tia.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

PTN posted:

Shooting Phase
Grand Titan (Player)
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1118!
- Fires LRM-15 w/ Artemis IV at Pillager Liu Bei, but the target is not in the front firing arc!
- Fires Large X-Pulse Laser at Pillage Liu Bei (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 3): rolled 3, hit Left Torso (12/21 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Gains 21 heat, sinks 34!

I totally thought the LRM was in my right arm, for some reason. Oh, well...at least the Pillager is finally down.

That was an intensely brutal round, and I'm not surprised I went down at all. Just...you know, grab me. And the Titan's right arm so we can salvage those lasers.

I'm totally imagining the Shadowhawk glowing like Shonuff at the end of The Last Dragon.

I know it's early to be talking about MVP, but I think the utterly unscathed guy with the deadliest assault mace in the galaxy is in the running.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Shutdown to force out the programming override? Cheap.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
On the plus side, shooting orders are now really easy.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You killed all the other mooks. This is the lone, named mook who takes you on one on one and manages to put up a real fight. That's how it works.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's easier to assume direct control if you're not worried about damaged peripherals. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
So who's the sole survivor icon supposed to be?

• Locked thread