Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You have enough heat sinks that if you didn't have engine damage, you could fire all of your remaining weapons and remain heat neutral so long as you didn't move.

Jumping gives you 3 heat, your engine hit gives you 5, you started with 3 from your previous turn's leftovers. That takes up 11 heat right off the bat. If you shoot just your ERLL that'll put you at 1 overheat next turn. If you fire everything that'll put you in 11 points of overheat, giving you penalties to-hit and to ground movement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

T.G. Xarbala posted:

You have enough heat sinks that if you didn't have engine damage, you could fire all of your remaining weapons and remain heat neutral so long as you didn't move.

Jumping gives you 3 heat, your engine hit gives you 5, you started with 3 from your previous turn's leftovers. That takes up 11 heat right off the bat. If you shoot just your ERLL that'll put you at 1 overheat next turn. If you fire everything that'll put you in 11 points of overheat, giving you penalties to-hit and to ground movement.

Thanks!

So I suppose that in terms of heat management it might be better just to fire my ERMLs (since a hurried top-of-the-head calculation seems to indicate that I should be okay heat-wise)?

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Soup Inspector posted:

Thanks!

So I suppose that in terms of heat management it might be better just to fire my ERMLs (since a hurried top-of-the-head calculation seems to indicate that I should be okay heat-wise)?

Well, since it's an ace you don't know where it'll be so you may want to set up a contingency to use the large laser if the ace is at a certain range from you.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

LeschNyhan posted:

Well, since it's an ace you don't know where it'll be so you may want to set up a contingency to use the large laser if the ace is at a certain range from you.

Point - how does a contingency for firing if it's within 19-14 hexes of me sound (since that's Long and Medium range respectively for the ERLL, and below that I figure it'd be better for me to use the ERMLs)?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Right, the point being made is "if he's in range, shoot all my weapons" potentially puts you in a condition where the enemy is only in range of your ERLL, but you fire the ERMLs anyway, even though they can't hit, and doing so shoves you into a severe overheat condition.

PTN doesn't love supercomplicated orders, but you could do something like:
"If the target is in range of only the ERLL, shoot it with the ERLL. If it's in range of the ERMLs, shoot it with one ERML and the ERLL."

You could improve this order by looking at exact range brackets and to-hits, and setting it up so that you're managing heat while only taking reasonably good shots (say, 9s or better to hit?) rather than maybe setting up orders where you didn't shoot the ERML (which would have had an 8) in order to only shoot the ERMLs (which have 11s instead).

I haven't looked at your position or range or where the target could potentially be, so all of these numbers are made up, for illustrative purposes. It behooves you to pay attention to range brackets, heat generation, and try to optimize your orders to balance between the immediate shooting opportunities, risk, and your longer-term survivability.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

Right, the point being made is "if he's in range, shoot all my weapons" potentially puts you in a condition where the enemy is only in range of your ERLL, but you fire the ERMLs anyway, even though they can't hit, and doing so shoves you into a severe overheat condition.

PTN doesn't love supercomplicated orders, but you could do something like:
"If the target is in range of only the ERLL, shoot it with the ERLL. If it's in range of the ERMLs, shoot it with one ERML and the ERLL."

You could improve this order by looking at exact range brackets and to-hits, and setting it up so that you're managing heat while only taking reasonably good shots (say, 9s or better to hit?) rather than maybe setting up orders where you didn't shoot the ERML (which would have had an 8) in order to only shoot the ERMLs (which have 11s instead).

I haven't looked at your position or range or where the target could potentially be, so all of these numbers are made up, for illustrative purposes. It behooves you to pay attention to range brackets, heat generation, and try to optimize your orders to balance between the immediate shooting opportunities, risk, and your longer-term survivability.

Alright, thanks for the explanation! If I survive this turn I'll try to do that next time.

Admittedly it was kind of my fault for leaving my orders so late, I just kind of ran out of ideas so I was running around like a headless chicken.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Leperflesh posted:

PTN doesn't love supercomplicated orders

I don't mind them, I'd just prefer a bulleted list sorted from highest priority to lowest to a paragraph.

Gonna add that to the pilot primer, actually. It might help people understand how I tend to 'process' orders.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 20, 2016

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

I don't mind them, I'd just prefer a bulleted list sorted from highest priority to lowest to a paragraph.

Gonna add that to the pilot primer, actually. It might help people understand how I tend to 'process' orders.

It helps that a bulleted priority list is extremely easy to visually parse at a glance.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
To be honest, the presence of Aces exponentially increases the complexity of the orders and the players' discussions.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Man, I'm glad I didn't really need to do anything complex with my orders. Much respect for the guys with complicated machines.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

apostateCourier posted:

Man, I'm glad I didn't really need to do anything complex with my orders. Much respect for the guys with complicated machines.

10: INITIATE CRAB BATTLE
20: GOTO 10

also, same. I had enough trouble figuring out movement rules. Contingencies and target-splitting and aces and such? Nope nope nope

Kirenski
Sep 5, 2012
Wolverine II
Movement:

I jump to 0915 facing 1015.

Shooting:

If I have a shot that has a chance of hitting with any of my weapons, I take it.

Melee:

If it is in melee range, I kick it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I should be nice and ignore this since it hasn't happened once in the years since the thread started, but:

You can't move through a hex containing an enemy unit. If the enemy hasn't moved yet (such as an ACE) it blocks the hex until it does move.

Edit: Nevermind, I can get the player to his destination hex on an alternate path. Taking that.

Double-edit: Be extremely careful about orders like this:

quote:

If I have a shot that has a chance of hitting with any of my weapons, I take it.

On a day when I'm exhausted I could easily misread that as: 'only shoot if all of my weapons can fire' or 'fire everything if even one of my weapons can hit.'

Just say "I fire everything in range at [target]" instead. You don't have to get fancy. :shobon:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 20, 2016

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

PoptartsNinja posted:

"If I have a shot that has a chance of hitting with any of my weapons, I take it."

On a day when I'm exhausted I could easily misread that as: 'only shoot if all of my weapons can fire' or 'fire everything if even one of my weapons can hit.'

Just say "I fire everything in range at [target]" instead. You don't have to get fancy. :shobon:

Isn't he basically saying he only wants to shoot his weapons if he has a better chance to hit than to miss? Maybe something like:

"I fire everything in range at [target] if the chance of hitting with each individual weapon is [greater than X]"

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

If you are worried about hitting, tell ptn to fire anything that is in range and does not have to get a 13 or greater. (You cannot roll a 13 and thus would auto miss.)

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I don't think PTN does "chance to hit" contingencies, because it puts all the calculation on him before rolling, but I could be wrong. He does let you not fire any weapons that would have a zero chance of hitting, though.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

I don't think PTN does "chance to hit" contingencies, because it puts all the calculation on him before rolling, but I could be wrong. He does let you not fire any weapons that would have a zero chance of hitting, though.

I'll honor "don't fire if the ToHit is greater than #" but I'll always cringe a little when I see those orders on energy weapons. It's not like it hurts to fire a laser on an 11+ if you're managing your heat.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Rise of the Phoenix: Tactical Update 12

The Shadow Hawk touched down with flexed knees, stooping low like a Spider with a rookie pilot trying not to snap his own legs off after testing his jump jets for the first time. Salome didn’t judge, she’d have done the same operating with a leg as badly damaged as the Hawk’s was. Besides, she’d seen what this pilot was capable of. It wasn’t difficult to find a pilot willing to risk a Death from Above under the right circumstances, but finding one who could stick the landing after was far rarer. She fired, a snap-shot that missed wide. The machine wasn’t too quick to track, but her targeting computer kept underestimating it.

It shared the same profile as the Shadow Hawks she’d known, which meant even though her DI computer couldn’t identify the specific model, it was already attempting to estimate the machine’s performance to help it correct its targeting data. The problem wasn’t necessarily that the Shadow Hawk was exceeding known limits of the Shadow Hawk’s design, plenty of `Mechs lacked the same movement profile of their original specs. The problem was, the Shadow Hawk blew the usual plus-or-minus-ten-percent estimates out of the water and the DI computer wasn’t adapting quickly enough to compensate.

Wordlessly, Salome popped open a maintenance panel, keeping a close eye on her circle-vision display even as she punched a series of overrides directly into her DI computer. Her view shifted as she turned her body. Sensors in the neurohelmet knew which way she was facing, and made sure she had the ‘best’ vision the compression strip could offer even if she was technically staring into the blank metal walls of her cockpit rather than out the front viewport. Her computer bleeped a warning, then another as she erased a hundred years of stored targeting & tracking information. It was an act that would fundamentally change the way her machine responded to the immediate threat, forcing it to take new measurements rather than estimating based on a target silhouette. It was also an act of pure desperation. Her machine would adjust, but it wasn’t like starting over with a machine fresh out of some factory. The slow fragmentation of the Wolverine’s memory would almost certainly mean even after she loaded a backup or pulled T&T data from Morgan her machine would likely start predicting some very strange things indeed.

Her Wolverine would never quite feel the same, even if she made it through the rest of the battle intact.

Movement Phase
Timber Wolf
- Activates CNI

Shooting Phase

Guillotine (Player)
- No line of sight to target!
- Gains 8 heat, sinks 22!

Gallowglas (Player)
- Gains 5 heat, sinks 36!

Archer (Player)
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 20!

Wolverine II (Player)
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Shadow Hawk Qing Long (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 4 enemy movement = 9): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Shadow Hawk Qing Long (2 base + 4 range + 3 movement + 4 enemy movement - 2 = 11): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires SRM-6 w/Artemis IV at Shadow Hawk Qing Long (2 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 4 enemy movement = 11): rolled 8, miss!
- Gains 14 heat, sinks 20!

King Cobra (Player)
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 26!

Timber Wolf H (Player)
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 36!

Shadow Hawk Qing Long (Blue)
- Fires Large X-Pulse Laser at Wolverine (0 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 4): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Archer (0 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement = 8): rolled 4, miss!

Player Status:

Opposing Force Status:

Special Rules:
Glare – Any unit standing above level 0 suffers a -2 penalty due to intense sunlight reflecting off the local rocks. All units attacking a unit standing above level 0 suffer a -1 penalty due to intense sunlight reflecting off the target unit. These penalties stack.

Sole Survivor – The last remaining enemy is fighting with unparalleled ferocity.

Mission Objective:
- Destroy the Enemy (0/1)

Orders Due: Midnight Saturday!

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
I like how after the brief panic over the Shadowhawk (which to be fair is a pretty scary opponent in my limited understanding!) everyone ended up missing, including it. Good ol' Battletech. :allears:

Though I'm certainly not complaining, particularly after I was expecting to fail my roll to land safely. Looks like most of us have ended up on the wrong side relative to the Shadowhawk, though to be fair there was probably a decent chance of that happening anyway due to Ace shenanigans.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa7uLxu0XAc

a slippery Ace

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
This is gonna turn into a game of whack-a-mole, isn't it. :v:

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Scintilla posted:

This is gonna turn into a game of whack-a-mole, isn't it. :v:

All signs seem to point to "yes".

PoptartsNinja posted:

Mission Objective:
- Destroy the Enemy (0/1)

Hey, wait a second, where'd the other objectives go...? :crossarms:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Who is the copilot in the Battlemaster, again? I can't seem to remember if that was explained.

And I suppose the Shadow Hawk is just trying to pick off the Wolverine because it's alone at the moment. Might be a good idea to group up as fast as possible! They probably won't keep missing on 4's for long.

It might be a bit of a lucky break that at least the enemy doesn't have a ton of firepower.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

As predicted, it's going to be a game of X-Pulse laser Grabass as it tries to juke out of site and take crazy shots with its murder cannon. The dice gods were somewhat nice and made it miss on a 4 this round, but I don't know how long that will hold out.

I also call bullshit on the fluff piece suggesting anyone in Battletech keeps computer backups for anything. They undoubtedly run on current average user logic. "Where is my spreadsheet I was working on? I opened it directly from an email attachment, never saved it or named it, and then I rebooted my computer. Can you get it back for me?"

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Soup Inspector posted:

Hey, wait a second, where'd the other objectives go...? :crossarms:

They got changed when Carlos could no longer escape with his own ride.

Now you've got to clear the board so you have a chance to safely recover him, as well as any other surviving allies. Something you can't really do if you're being shot at, as trying an emergency Cyclops-hand rescue is presumably too risky since the last enemy went straight-up System Id.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

T.G. Xarbala posted:

They got changed when Carlos could no longer escape with his own ride.

Now you've got to clear the board so you have a chance to safely recover him, as well as any other surviving allies. Something you can't really do if you're being shot at, as trying an emergency Cyclops-hand rescue is presumably too risky since the last enemy went straight-up System Id.

That teaches me for paying more attention to the Sole Survivor shenanigans rather than focusing on the Objectives section. :downs:

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

So about those contingent indirect fire orders. Now we all get to have fun chasing the last light across the map like its MWO! lets just cut to the chase and make it rain.

If people want to start including indirect spotting contingencies if the LRM equipped mechs(archer and timber wolf) not have LOS, I'll keep including fire orders.

10's or 11s are better than no shots at all, and we've got 80 LRMs just over the canyon.

Ward got hella lucky that turn, though.

I went ahead and marked the danger zone the shadowhawk can potentially move within. The blue X's mark a straight 7 jump, with the red fence on the border being any/everywhere else the Sole Survivor can end up.

We're in a position where we either all need to tarball up so we can't be picked off 1 at a time, or to present bait tasty enough that getting shot from the others who can see a slightly-risky landing position is worth it. Beware 1 height differentials and justice feet.

Plan your moves accordingly, goonwarriors! I am either going to reverse to 1511 or 1611, or try to get up on the 1919 hill, since this is an area denial game we are playing now. The other alternative is to go over and harass the halloweenhammer and hope it messes up the sole survivor mode over there.

It does appear to be skirting the edge of Steiner's ECM bubble, so and there's good odds that it would continue to interfere with remote piloting shenanigans using the hawks c3. Its a six hex bubble around you and the hawk jumps 7 - absolutely use use that as as a zone to bully it around the map. If you look, its already kind of avoiding you.

e:typos, strats

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 20, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You guys might consider sucking up the glare penalties just to get up onto high ground and remove some of the options the 'hawk has for denying LOS.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

TheParadigm posted:

I went ahead and marked the danger zone the shadowhawk can potentially move within. The blue X's mark a straight 7 jump, with the red fence on the border being any/everywhere else the Sole Survivor can end up.

I would have to point out that you've simply marked the Jump Radius for the 'Hawk. If it were to run, It could make 1525, facing south - though that is about the only place it can get to with 11MP and no jumping going on.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Leperflesh posted:

You guys might consider sucking up the glare penalties just to get up onto high ground and remove some of the options the 'hawk has for denying LOS.

This, get Dusk up top since she can ignore the penalties, use your jumpers to make sure at least someone has los every turn. Drive the shadowhawk out of cover, spot with Dusk for the lrm capable 'mechs (unless they have LOS of their own).

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar
I can work on jumping up to a high point just to try and get LOS for indirect fire.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, that glare-remover went from an interesting option to potentially vital in the span of a turn.

shalafi4 posted:

I can work on jumping up to a high point just to try and get LOS for indirect fire.

Note that you can only jump as many height levels high as your Jump MP, which is down to two functional jumpjets on your Gallowglas. Meaning, like the groundpounders, you can only get onto the mesas from the height-2 hexes.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Yeah, that glare-remover went from an interesting option to potentially vital in the span of a turn.

Note that you can only jump as many height levels high as your Jump MP, which is down to two functional jumpjets on your Gallowglas. Meaning, like the groundpounders, you can only get onto the mesas from the height-2 hexes.

yup yup. I'm looking at it for multiple turns... Run South east this turn. hop up to one of the height 2 spots next.... lvl 4 turn after etc.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

DI computer can't handle it?

E: I found the cockpit for the Shadowhawk too. Megas XLR is great.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 21, 2016

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Dolash posted:

Who is the copilot in the Battlemaster, again? I can't seem to remember if that was explain

Augustus Cole. His buddies call him "Cole Train".

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
At least it's shooting at players and not trying to step on Carlos.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I'm enjoying the miss on a four.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I think you meant to post this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr2GeWiDrdY

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Dolash posted:

Who is the copilot in the Battlemaster, again? I can't seem to remember if that was explained.

Fresh academy graduate by the name of Augustus Cole, IIRC. poo poo at piloting, but good at tactical planning stuff, so Jeana has him as her adjutant/co-pilot here this mission. Was shown in on of the earlier fluff writeups, I think the one where the legged Warhammers reactivate after Jeana takes a shot at one of them to finish it off. Jokes were made due to using the same name as the Gears of War character.

Misses all around, but I guess that's to be expected, with a fast and jumpy Ace like the Azure Dragon tearing it up.

Just noticed that the first line of the black status bar at the bottom of Qing Long's readout reads "Soul Survivor" instead of Sole Survivor every time the words are repeated. Typo and copy paste error, or are you typing to tell us something else about this mech, PTN? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

GhostStalker posted:

Just noticed that the first line of the black status bar at the bottom of Qing Long's readout reads "Soul Survivor" instead of Sole Survivor every time the words are repeated. Typo and copy paste error, or are you typing to tell us something else about this mech, PTN? :v:

Maybe.

• Locked thread