Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Such a classic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Any suggestions with regards to movement? I think we should try and cluster up, get some overlapping fields of fire going on. The reason the Shawk is going for the Wolverine is that it's all alone, but if we all blob up into a massive doomstack it'll have to engage us all at once.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Scintilla posted:

Any suggestions with regards to movement? I think we should try and cluster up, get some overlapping fields of fire going on. The reason the Shawk is going for the Wolverine is that it's all alone, but if we all blob up into a massive doomstack it'll have to engage us all at once.

Exactly my thoughts. North or south?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Well most of us seem to be clustered northwards right now. My mech is pristine, so I could go west to help the Wolverine II retreat while everyone sets up. Or if Kirenski feels like jumping to 1412 I could stay put and give fire support / spot for indirect fire.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Scintilla posted:

I think this is our best chance of survival too. Sure, it can probably dodge a few people's fire, but can it dodge everyone all at once? (Now watch as :battletech: happens and we all miss by a mile)

I could (and perhaps should) hop up on to one of the raised areas, but I'm not 100% confident I can laugh at PTN's dice twice in a row and get away with it. Advice?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Soup Inspector posted:

I think this is our best chance of survival too. Sure, it can probably dodge a few people's fire, but can it dodge everyone all at once? (Now watch as :battletech: happens and we all miss by a mile)

I could (and perhaps should) hop up on to one of the raised areas, but I'm not 100% confident I can laugh at PTN's dice twice in a row and get away with it. Advice?

At this point, just minimize risk. Jumping with a Gyro hit is something that you just don't need to chance fate with.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Gwaihir posted:

At this point, just minimize risk. Jumping with a Gyro hit is something that you just don't need to chance fate with.

My thoughts exactly. So, who wants a badly mangled Guillotine to cosy up with them? :v:

Kirenski
Sep 5, 2012
Wolverine II

I guess I made a bad call there.

I was thinking of jumping to 1413.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Kirenski posted:

Wolverine II

I guess I made a bad call there.

I was thinking of jumping to 1413.

That's actually a pretty good move since it puts you at 50/50 LOS with the Shawk's current position, which will force it to move up into my line of fire if it wants to keep targeting you. I can stay still, fire my weapons and spot for the Timber Wolf in case TheParadigm doesn't have LOS.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Scintilla posted:

That's actually a pretty good move since it puts you at 50/50 LOS with the Shawk's current position, which will force it to move up into my line of fire if it wants to keep targeting you. I can stay still, fire my weapons and spot for the Timber Wolf in case TheParadigm doesn't have LOS.

How does that leave us if I depart for 2117?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

TheParadigm posted:

How does that leave us if I depart for 2117?

Pretty good if you end your movement facing 2016. Torso twisting would give you a good field of fire if the Shawk decides to jump the mountains.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Scintilla posted:

Pretty good if you end your movement facing 2016. Torso twisting would give you a good field of fire if the Shawk decides to jump the mountains.

I'd be facing 2118, getting the wolf up on the hill next turn maybe. If I twist to the right I still have good forward arcs this round.

Alternatively, back it up next to you.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Oops, forgot you had CNI. Yeah, you go ahead and get ready to climb up to 2118. I don't think your facing matters for indirect fire, so I'll include orders to spot for you.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Scintilla posted:

I don't think your facing matters for indirect fire

It does.

Edit: assuming you mean the facing of the attacker (the `Mech firing indirectly) anyway.

Kirenski
Sep 5, 2012
Wolverine II

I went with this for now, I can torso twist if he goes straight north if he goes NE, I don't know if he will be a viable target so yeah.

Movement:
I jump to 1413, facing 1414

Shooting:
I fire everything in range at the blue shadowhawk

Melee:
I kick the blueshadowhawk

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Here are my orders:

--

Movement

I do not move my King Cobra this turn.

Shooting

If the blue Shadow Hawk is within my field of view, but not the Timber Wolf H's, I spot for the Timber Wolf H. I also initiate an Alpha Strike against the blue Shadow Hawk, firing my weapons in order: Gauss Rifle, ER Medium Laser, Flamer and both Streak SRM-6 launchers.

--

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

You might want to include the archer in those spotting orders, but I'm nut sure it matters. We can both use your spotting

E: phone post fickip

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 23, 2016

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Can I spot for two units at once? If not it would probably be better to do it for you instead of the Archer, since the latter has only one functioning LRM-20.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
For players: Damage totals for this session total damage per turn alive and total damage per battle value.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BAD5522EyHggNJOMJkIUWmPhPl-nrg-qRbbp_TT7VAw/edit#gid=0

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Scintilla posted:

Can I spot for two units at once? If not it would probably be better to do it for you instead of the Archer, since the latter has only one functioning LRM-20.

You spot one target for your entire team; you are prohibited only from highlighting multiple targets simultaneously. One scout and 4 indirect mechs is a ok, but in order to indirect 2 different targets you need a second scout

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

MinutePirateBug posted:

For players: Damage totals for this session total damage per turn alive and total damage per battle value.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BAD5522EyHggNJOMJkIUWmPhPl-nrg-qRbbp_TT7VAw/edit#gid=0

That's really neat. Look at that Archer and Gallowglas keeping pace with the Grand Titan per BV. I wonder if there is a way to normalize across pilot gunnery skills too, but the statistics are probably more complicated than I want to consider because it isn't a linear thing.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

That Battlemaster's really putting in work. Nice charts.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Archer Orders in:

Baudin wrote on Jan 23, 2016 23:45:
Morgan Kell's Orders:

Movement Phase:
Advance five hexes to 1814, turn to face 1714.

Firing Phase:
Fire everything at that stupid blue Shadow Hawk. If someone gives me indirect fire at him I will take advantage of it.

Melee Phase:
I will kick that stupid Shadow Hawk if it comes in range. I doubt this is possible but :goonsay:.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

MinutePirateBug posted:

Interesting. I'm curious how those charts would look for the OpForce (I'd like to assume the Pillager did well, but I imagine my numbers across the board will be a lot lower than I'd expect).

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

MinutePirateBug posted:

Nice one. I'm doing more damage than I thought I was. :v:

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
Click this instead https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BAD5522EyHggNJOMJkIUWmPhPl-nrg-qRbbp_TT7VAw/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=1724753378 (or just click the other sheet) added damage absorbed and damage done by PTN's units.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

MinutePirateBug posted:

Click this instead https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BAD5522EyHggNJOMJkIUWmPhPl-nrg-qRbbp_TT7VAw/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=1724753378 (or just click the other sheet) added damage absorbed and damage done by PTN's units.

ok so I'm doing fairly well overall then :)

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

MinutePirateBug posted:

This is actually really cool. From the looks of things I haven't done all that much damage, but I've crippled / killed more enemies than anyone else. Must be all the lucky mace hits to side torsos. :v:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Scintilla posted:

This is actually really cool. From the looks of things I haven't done all that much damage, but I've crippled / killed more enemies than anyone else. Must be all the lucky mace hits to side torsos. :v:

That's the general concept of a machine like the King Cobra. You've got a Gauss rifle to throw hits downfield and keep lighter machines honest, but between the mace and the twin Streak racks you're basically supposed to be the mechanical embodiment of the inexorable forward progress of time that keeps us marching on to the hour of our deaths as you close in unstoppably. You are the enrage timer: if they can't kill you before you get close it is game over.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jan 24, 2016

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Okay, here are my revised orders:

--

Movement

I do not move my King Cobra this turn.

Shooting

If the blue Shadow Hawk is within my field of view, but not the Timber Wolf H's or the Archer's, I spot the blue Shadow Hawk for indirect fire. I also initiate an Alpha Strike against the blue Shadow Hawk, firing my weapons in order: Gauss Rifle, ER Medium Laser, Flamer and both Streak SRM-6 launchers.

--

Hope everyone else has decided what to do.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Are you including the king cobras, brutal mace jams in those numbers?

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

AtomikKrab posted:

Are you including the king cobras, brutal mace jams in those numbers?

Yes including all damage from physical attacks, but I am not including damage that is carried over after the mech is destroyed. (going through it I did notice I made a mistake in adding up some of the damage I'll correct it in the spread sheet ~10 damage less on turn 5).

King Cobra Melee attacks:

Turn 5 ( 9 from weapons fire + 27 damage from physical including crit ) = 36
King Cobra (Player)
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1127!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Marauder Lu Bu (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 2 minimum range - 1 targeting computer = 8): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Marauder Lu Bu (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 6): rolled 9, hit Right Arm (12/24 armor remaining)!
- Fires Flamer (Damage) at Marauder Lu Bu (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 6): rolled 9, hit Left Leg (21/32 armor remaining)!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at Marauder Lu Bu, but the target is in the wrong firing arc!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at Marauder Lu Bu, but the target is in the wrong firing arc!
- Gains 12 heat, sinks 26!

King Cobra (Player)
- Attacks Marauder Lu Bu with Assault Mace (3 base + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 mace = 8): rolled 8, hit Rear Center Torso (0/11 armor, 7/16 structure remaining)! Crit!

Marauder Lu Bu
- Critical chance in Center Torso! 1 critical hit sustained!
- - Clanspec XL Engine hit!
- Must pass a 10+ shutdown chance: rolled 7, fails!
- Must pass a piloting test or fall: automatic failure!
- - Suffers 7 damage in the fall to Rear Right Torso (7/16 structure remaining (Crit!)), Head (7/9 armor remaining)!
- Critical Chance in Right Torso! 2 critical hits sustained!
- - Clanspec XL Engine hit!
- - Double Heat Sink hit!

Turn 10 (weapons fire 21 + 18 physical = 39 Left Torso is already at 2/24 armor 16/16 structure when mace hits)
King Cobra (Player)
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Marauder Zhang Fei (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 smoke + 2 minimum range - 1 targeting computer = 7): rolled 8, hit Left Leg (0/16 structure remaining)! Leg Blown Off!
- - Damage transfers to Left Torso (6/24 armor remaining)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Marauder Zhang Fei (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 smoke - 1 targeting computer = 5): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at Marauder Zhang Fei (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 smoke - 1 targeting computer = 6): rolled 4, fails to lock-on!
- Fires Streak Marauder Zhang Fei (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 smoke - 1 targeting computer = 6): rolled 6, 6 missiles hit Right Arm (5/12 structure remaining (Crit!)), Head (7/9 armor remaining), Left Torso (4/24 armor remaining), Left Torso (2/24 armor remaining), Left Arm (5/24 armor remaining), Right Leg (30/32 armor remaining)!
- Fires Flamer (Damage) at Marauder Zhang Fei (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 smoke - 1 targeting computer = 5): rolled 3, miss!
- Gains 21 heat, sinks 26!
King Cobra
- Attacks Marauder Zhang Fei with Assault Mace (3 base + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 mace = 6): rolled 8, hit Left Torso (0/24 armor, 0/16 structure remaining)! `Mech destroyed!
- - Damage transfers to Center Torso (10/35 armor remaining)!

Turn 11 (weapons 21 + 5 = 26 physical damage there was only 5 structure left on the Left Torso from the King Cobra's Own Streak SRM shot)
King Cobra (Player)
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Marauder Guan Yu (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 minimum range - 1 targeting computer = 6): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Marauder Guan Yu (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 4): rolled 8, hit Right Torso (0/24 armor, 14/16 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at Marauder Guan Yu (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 4): rolled 10, 6 missiles hit Right Arm (12/24 structure remaining), Right Leg (11/32 structure remaining), Right Arm (10/24 structure remaining), Right Leg (9/32 structure remaining), Left Torso (7/24 structure remaining), Right Arm (8/24 structure remaining)!
- Fires Streak Marauder Guan Yu (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 4): rolled 12, 6 missiles hit Left Torso (5/24 structure remaining), Right Arm (6/24 structure remaining), Left Leg (5/32 structure remaining), Right Arm (4/24 structure remaining), Center Torso (24/35 structure remaining), Center Torso (22/35 structure remaining)!
- Fires Flamer (Damage) at Marauder Guan Yu (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 4): rolled 9, hit Right Arm (2/24 structure remaining)!
- Gains 21 heat, sinks 26!

King Cobra
- Attacks Marauder Guan Yu with Assault Mace (3 base + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 mace = 6): rolled 6, hit Left Torso (0/24 armor, 0/16 structure remaining)! `Mech destroyed!
- - Damage transfers to Center Torso (18/35 armor remaining)!

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Justice mace. That's glorious.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You don't have to do that much damage so long as the damage you do is to the CT, the right kind of side T, or the head. :allears:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Rise of the Phoenix: Tactical Update 13

“I’m drawing it in,” Salome announced with a crackling buzz. The Wolverine’s jets brought it down on the near side of the tall, glassy cliff separating them from the enemy. Her front armor flashed to vapor as the nearly instantaneous beam of the enemy `Mech’s pulse laser chewed into the Wolverine’s ferro-fibrous armor. The porous metallic weave was more air than metal, and while the enemy’s laser cut deep the heat dissipated nearly instantaneously, saving the bulk of the Wolverine’s armor from the heat fatigue that could loosen welds on standard ceramet.

He held his crosshairs over that gap, but the enemy didn’t appear immediately. “Well?” Caesar demanded, “Is it following or not?”

“It is, give it time. Our jets are recharging but he’s followed me this far and these guys don’t seem to care much about surviving this fight. Just: be cautious,” Salome paused for a moment, “these guys are all target-fixated. Not like you Clanners are, more--pragmatic. I think this guy’s an opportunist—he’s just going after the easiest target available to him. Or maybe he’s just hunting whatever looks the most vulnerable?”

Shooting Phase
Guillotine (Player)
- No line of sight to target!
- Gains 8 heat, sinks 22!

Gallowglas (Player)
- Gains 7 heat, sinks 36!

Archer (Player)
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 20!

Wolverine II (Player)
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Shadow Hawk Qing Long (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 4 enemy movement + 1 minimum range = 10): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Shadow Hawk Qing Long (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 4 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 7): rolled 11, hit Right Arm (7/18 armor remaining)!
- Fires SRM-6 w/Artemis IV at Shadow Hawk Qing Long (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 4 enemy movement = 9): rolled 6, miss!
- Gains 14 heat, sinks 20!

King Cobra (Player)
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 26!

Timber Wolf H (Player)
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 36!

Shadow Hawk Qing Long (Blue)
- Fires Large X-Pulse Laser at Wolverine (0 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 4): rolled 10, hit Right Torso (11/20 armor remaining)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Wolverine (0 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement = 6): rolled 7, hit Left Arm (13/18 armor remaining)!

Turn End Phase
Shadow Hawk Qing Long
- Piloting skills decay to 1/1

Player Status:

Opposing Force Status:

Special Rules:
Glare – Any unit standing above level 0 suffers a -2 penalty due to intense sunlight reflecting off the local rocks. All units attacking a unit standing above level 0 suffer a -1 penalty due to intense sunlight reflecting off the target unit. These penalties stack.

Sole Survivor – The last remaining enemy is fighting with unparalleled ferocity.

Mission Objective:
- Destroy the Enemy (0/1)

Orders Due: Midnight Tuesday!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 25, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well, that seems like a hint. Someone needs to bait that thing in.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

MinutePirateBug posted:

PoptartsNinja posted:

Interesting. I'm curious how those charts would look for the OpForce (I'd like to assume the Pillager did well, but I imagine my numbers across the board will be a lot lower than I'd expect).

The pillager seems to have done quite well, yes. Not as well as Guan Yu did per BV, but quite well.

And the OpFor pilot went from 0/1 to 1/1? Not sure if that was PTN being kind or because you can only keep that sort of thing up for so long before the feedback disables you? Maybe, if GoonStarLance is lucky his stats will continue to decay slowly.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 25, 2016

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

Night10194 posted:

You don't have to do that much damage so long as the damage you do is to the CT, the right kind of side T, or the head. :allears:
The heathen is pragmatic, but incorrect. Do *all* the damage, *all* the time, to *all* the locations.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Olothreutes posted:

And the OpFor pilot went from 0/1 to 1/1? Not sure if that was PTN being kind or because you can only keep that sort of thing up for so long before the feedback disables you? Maybe, if GoonStarLance is lucky his stats will continue to decay slowly.

It looks a lot like being inside Steiners ECM bubble causes the connection quality to degrade. He's within six hexes and isn't being straight knocked out of his supermode, but it looks like it took a ding from it.
Keep it up.

The other possibility is this is a tele-operating clanner playing under zell-inspired rules. Its clearly not to my eye, as he's not focusing on one target to the exclusion of all others and is aware of and maneuvering to mitigate other threats, but his actual actions - Focusing on one target exclusively when none of the others have shot back sounds eerily familar.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Qing Long could've tried to kick in Carlos' cockpit from where it was standing this turn but didn't. Guess I'm glad PTN didn't decide to screw everyone over and make the original objective of getting Carlos off planet fail when he (easily?) would be able to do so this past turn right there.

• Locked thread