Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Tempest_56 posted:

Ssssorta. See, when it's said that Clan society is based entirely around combat, we really mean entirely. The lower castes exist for the very literal sole purpose of supporting their Clan's military machine. Their economy is fairly communist: there is very little if anything that an individual owns. It's all owned by the Clan and distributed as deemed necessary for you to do your job. You are assigned your role in society more or less at birth.

You can draw parallels to the caste system from Sparta in a number of ways - there are a number of incidents where a clan rolls up, takes another clans Non combantants and says 'you answer to Clan Logo X now.'

Going further than that, in the Cannon timeline Clan Widowmaker massacred enough of their merchant caste because they were getting stroppy that Clan Wolf tried to absorb Clan Widowmaker because Widowmaker disgusted them so much.

The other castes are literally serfs that are property of the state. An in this timeline, brutual totalitarian regimes (Clan Widowmaker, Steel Viper, etc) have beaten out the forces of reason(Clan Wolf). So it's probably even worse. Hurray!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
I can and will talk about the Clans and their fluff forever if you people keep letting me D:

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

There is a funny bit about this in the fluff RE: a trial of refusal. Its not just that they don't like exploiting the system, it's that they don't even consider it - just like you don't consider cannabilism as a fun thing to do, and would be shocked if I suggested it:

Exploiting the system is regarded in the same sort of way you might regard someone who was discovered inappropriately touching minors. Which is exactly as moronic as it sounds

Yyyeaah... and then again, no. The thing is, we get shown right from the start of the Clan Invasion that some (Wolves) Clanners are willing to skirt the edges of honor. In fact, some Wolves vote against a motion they disagree with just to trick the other side into pushing onward and trying to oust Khan Ulric by giving them a false picture of their support. And it's not really moronic when you consider the upbringing these warriors get. They are literally from the day they can make sense of words to the day they either become warriors or wash out raised in a creche system that does its good and goddamndest to inculcate and indoctrinate the young warriors-to-be in this system, and how disgraceful it would be to act differently. This too varies among the clans, but you can't really call people who have been raised to consider a thing as depraved and horrific, then when adults consider that thing depraved and horrific, morons. It's what they've been taught all their lives, and if it ever slipped they are constantly surrounded by people for whom it has NOT slipped to peer pressure them back in line. There are many good reasons to criticize Clan society, but that ain't one.

quote:

FASA's assumption of Clan honor being used was probably one of their biggest in-game mistakes. Even when they tried to encourage it, players just went around by declaring their Clan mechs were captured IS salvage, and IS pilots had no reason to adhere to zellbrigen. (As a side note, in original writings the Clans were actually VERY strict about their adherence to zellbrigen. You saw it getting violated and played with as the universe went on, partly as reference to how players treated it - ie as a hand-wave that they did their best to ignore.) They did learn, at least, and to be fair that mistake was twenty years ago now. But it was a bit of a dumb mistake.

Absolutely true. Personally, I *love* playing under zellbrigen rules. It's fun. When PTN and I tested some of his designs out a few weeks back, though, I didn't because it wasn't explicitly said that I should. So few people do it that the operative assumption is "zell doesn't happen." Which is a real pity, and why I'm so happy to have clanners that actually are trying to follow the rules in this thread.

quote:

The Clan Honor stuff reminds me of how the Tokugawa Shogunate built up those labyrinthine systems of honor and obligation for the samurai class to keep the warriors contained when there was no one left to fight and extremely limited contact with the outside world. It's great for keeping a warrior class from ripping the civic peace to shreds, but it's a huge encumbrance whenever your society comes into contact with one that doesn't follow the same rules.

Quoting this because it is completely correct.

quote:

Worth pointing out also that a Trial of Possession in particular is very useful. In the IS, if you want a new 'mech design or some nice production facilities, you're going to have to drop some forces down there to take them, which will probably end up with destroying or seriously damaging precisely what you're trying to take. Even if it doesn't, there's the risk that whoever once controlled it could just scupper the entire thing rather than let it fall into your hands. With a Trial, you arrange for the battle to take place somewhere else that matches the specifics of what you're after; so if you want a nice 'mech factory, you go hold your Trial in an abandoned factory somewhere in similar conditions. You want a planet, you go hold it somewhere on there where there's nothing to harm, or on another planet entirely that's similar.

It's also supposed to stop wars and grudges between Clans and individual people - a Trial is over, that's the end of that matter. That part doesn't really work so well.

Absolutely. This is the part of the Clan honor system that I really love, and think is a surprisingly not bad idea. Minimizing the force expended on anything but matters of utter national life and death is a pretty good idea if you can get people to go along with it.

quote:

Ssssorta. See, when it's said that Clan society is based entirely around combat, we really mean entirely. The lower castes exist for the very literal sole purpose of supporting their Clan's military machine. Their economy is fairly communist: there is very little if anything that an individual owns. It's all owned by the Clan and distributed as deemed necessary for you to do your job. You are assigned your role in society more or less at birth. You are given precisely the education you need to do your job and little more. There is minimal chance for advancement or gain - the Laborer caste exists solely to harvest and process the raw materials and equipment for the Warrior caste to fight with. The Technician caste exists exclusively to repair and maintain the weapons of war that the Warrior caste uses. The Scientist caste exists to create new ways for the Warrior caste to kill each other.

Some Clans (like Diamond Shark or Wolf) are more liberal about this; some (like Smoke Jaguar) are even more strict. The Jags, for example, have shown their basic policy is that if you're a warrior? gently caress the rest. You can outright murder a laborer on a whim and your superiors will just shrug a little.

This is, to reiterate, hugely variant between Clans. But even among one of the 'stricter' clans, Jade Falcon, the tiny glimpse we get of non-warrior society is... really not that bad? I mean, sure as hell it's more pleasant than living under Maximilian/Romano Liao. This is also my biggest complaint with how the Clans are betrayed. I think they would work MUCH better if they were all more liberal about this; non-warrior society is not extremely different than the Inner Sphere, and the layering of super-honor is only for the military that rules things and lets the other castes do whatever. If they'd been characterized like that, I would pretty much unreservedly love them as a fictional society. As it is, though, you get into the aforementioned "I have solved this accounting problem HONORABLY!" Klingon noncombatant problem, and it just makes the entire underpinnings start to rumble ominously. Still, given how much suspension of disbelief the tech requires, I don't have too hard a time extending that to the sociology.

I would note, however, that we probably aren't getting the whole picture in the canonical fluff about how the societies do actually work. The sourcebooks are all in-character and usually written from the POV of a warrior or someone associated closely with them, and in the novels we don't really see much of non-warrior Clanners. What we do see is very interesting. The scientists of many clans conspiring against the warriors to come up with their own genetic modification program. Scientists and techs that have their own 'labname' equivalents to warrior bloodnames, very unofficially. A clan that gets wiped out for not treating their merchants right. Families that work the same as Spheroid families do. One fluff bit in a sourcebook even talks about a merchant caste who becomes a warrior and gets to drive a battlemech, solely on ability. It's a lot of very tantalizing stuff that always makes me think that maybe, just maybe society under the warriors really IS like I'd like it to be... and then there are a few authors who have to be assholes and ruin my fond hopes with stupid stuff. :( No canon is free of a few dolts, though.

quote:

Yeaaaaaaah, Clan Honor Rules might have been really useful around the first couple succession wars. Eventually the IS worked out a less extreme version, basically: Don't shoot anything that we can't replace.

Ironically, the IS was slipping away from this exactly as the Clans arrived. The FedCom worked out the logistics and strategy necessary for huge multi-regiment battles once more. But yes, point well taken.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

And it's not really moronic when you consider the upbringing these warriors get [...] There are many good reasons to criticize Clan society, but that ain't one.

I'm critising it because refusing to study a society that outnumbers you in the order of 40:1, and that you are planning on declaring war on because you think they are 'tricky' is beyond stupid - not that sticking to honor codes you are brought up with is dumb.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mukaikubo posted:

I would note, however, that we probably aren't getting the whole picture in the canonical fluff about how the societies do actually work. The sourcebooks are all in-character and usually written from the POV of a warrior or someone associated closely with them, and in the novels we don't really see much of non-warrior Clanners. What we do see is very interesting. The scientists of many clans conspiring against the warriors to come up with their own genetic modification program. Scientists and techs that have their own 'labname' equivalents to warrior bloodnames, very unofficially. A clan that gets wiped out for not treating their merchants right. Families that work the same as Spheroid families do. One fluff bit in a sourcebook even talks about a merchant caste who becomes a warrior and gets to drive a battlemech, solely on ability. It's a lot of very tantalizing stuff that always makes me think that maybe, just maybe society under the warriors really IS like I'd like it to be... and then there are a few authors who have to be assholes and ruin my fond hopes with stupid stuff. :( No canon is free of a few dolts, though.

For what it's worth I thought the Ghost Bear Dominion could've been a pretty nice place for a non-warrior to live in. If I recall they basically left governance of the planets in the Dominion to the people already there and didn't interfere too much except in cases of defense. They also seemed to treat the lower castes with a degree of respect.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Mukaikubo posted:

Ironically, the IS was slipping away from this exactly as the Clans arrived. The FedCom worked out the logistics and strategy necessary for huge multi-regiment battles once more. But yes, point well taken.

Meant more on the side of jumpships and factories. In canon, the helm core was starting to give them the ability to replace these. In PopTartLand, this likely still applies heavily.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I'm critising it because refusing to study a society that outnumbers you in the order of 40:1, and that you are planning on declaring war on because you think they are 'tricky' is beyond stupid - not that sticking to honor codes you are brought up with is dumb.

Beyond stupid, sure, but it's hardly a mistake that hasn't been made throughout history time and again. Not to quite the same level of being outnumbered, but there are instances time and time again of warrior-dominated societies picking a fight with a society that can badly outpunch it because they're sure that their Warrior Honor or some similar concept will carry the day. It never really ends well for them, just like it didn't in canon. I could talk more about those historical paralells (and I'm probably not thinking of the most recent and obvious one), but we're getting even further off track than we already are if we do that... :p

quote:

For what it's worth I thought the Ghost Bear Dominion could've been a pretty nice place for a non-warrior to live in. If I recall they basically left governance of the planets in the Dominion to the people already there and didn't interfere too much except in cases of defense.

Absolutely. Same with the Snow Ravens merging with the Outworlds Alliance, or the way the Nova Cats blended into the Inner Sphere once they got there. That's the storyline I was most eager to see post-FedCom Civil War, how the Clans would adapt and liberalize given exposure to the Inner Sphere, and how much more or less formidable a fighting force they would be after that. That's what I was hoping the Clans would be all along, after all! But instead we got the Jihad and Dark Age, with sparse and terse information about the clans at all until fairly recently in the Dark Age books. Que sera.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Mukaikubo posted:

Absolutely. This is the part of the Clan honor system that I really love, and think is a surprisingly not bad idea. Minimizing the force expended on anything but matters of utter national life and death is a pretty good idea if you can get people to go along with it.

No because it's dumb for the same reason that people arguing that the burqa allows women to be treated as people and not sexual objects are dumb; to whatever extent your solution fixes the problem it's far more the cause of the problem.

The honour system would be utterly unnecessary if Clan society didn't venerate combat and warfare above all else.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Alchenar posted:

No because it's dumb for the same reason that people arguing that the burqa allows women to be treated as people and not sexual objects are dumb; to whatever extent your solution fixes the problem it's far more the cause of the problem.

The honour system would be utterly unnecessary if Clan society didn't venerate combat and warfare above all else.

And if everyone were pacifists, Battletech would be pretty boring.

I really, really don't want to get into a cultural relativism argument in Let's Play, so how about we just shut off this budding argument before it starts?

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Mukaikubo posted:

Beyond stupid, sure, but it's hardly a mistake that hasn't been made throughout history time and again. Not to quite the same level of being outnumbered, but there are instances time and time again of warrior-dominated societies picking a fight with a society that can badly outpunch it because they're sure that their Warrior Honor or some similar concept will carry the day. It never really ends well for them, just like it didn't in canon. I could talk more about those historical paralells (and I'm probably not thinking of the most recent and obvious one), but we're getting even further off track than we already are if we do that... :p

During the course of history we have had plenty of countries that, because they believed themselves to be superior, never bothered actually learning the culture of the population that they tried subjugating. Which lead to a lot of issues down the line, even centuries after the deed was done. I do not want to get into a political debate here, and it would mean simplifying things a lot, so I will just mention that a big part of the problems we, the West, are experiencing in the Middle East, can be traced back to European colonialism.
So it has been done and people will still make this mistake time and time again. It does not change that it is stupid, though. :mmmhmm:

As I said before, I do kind of like the Clan system, since it does make sense and is more reminiscent of Japan rather than Klingons, and as long as one keeps in mind that it was created so that resources are not wasted but warriors can still fight, it does work in its own logic.
While learning about the Battletech universe, I have seen a lot of people treating the Clans just like the TNG and after Klingons, a society that looks more like a parody, rather than trying to make sense, so it was refreshing to read a proper explanation by Mukaikubo.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Another thing to remember is:

The SLDF self-destructed far harder and far faster than the Inner Sphere did, post-exodus. They basically bludgeoned themselves back to the stone age with the exception of the few warriors Nicholas Kerensky took with him to Strana Mechty and the Castle Brians that Aleksander left scattered around the homeworlds.

That's another reason why so many worlds in Clan Space are only marginally inhabitable, and why they cling so strongly to a system that prevents that from ever happening again.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Mukaikubo posted:

I can and will talk about the Clans and their fluff forever if you people keep letting me D:

For those interested in this stuff, the sourcebooks you want to look at are MechWarrior's Guide To The Clans (p.60-78) and The Clans, Warriors Of Kerensky (basically the whole book). The downside is that both have been out of print for a decade or so.

WARNING: These books also contain a crapload of things that PTN might not want folks to know about yet.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Dolash posted:

No planetary bombardment, no campaign of genocide

Yeah, tell that to Smoke Jaguar.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Polaron posted:

Nothing more effective like orbital bombardment to put down rebellions and insurrections!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Polaron posted:

That was the realization that "... Guys, we can take these planets but we can't hold them. poo poo, the civillians aren't playing by our rules and we (the Smoke Jaguars) have a cactus crammed up our asses when it comes to concepts like 'autonomy for our people'. Kill them."

Pretty much every other Clan found that action extreme, and the Smoke Jaguars lost a lot of honor because of it. They spent the rest of their existence slowly growing more and more insane because of that one act.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

PoptartsNinja posted:

Pretty much every other Clan found that action extreme, and the Smoke Jaguars lost a lot of honor because of it. They spent the rest of their existence slowly growing more and more insane because of that one act.

You could also say that turing the city of Edo into a glass plain played a contributing role in their annihilation.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

PoptartsNinja posted:

That was the realization that "... Guys, we can take these planets but we can't hold them. poo poo, the civillians aren't playing by our rules and we (the Smoke Jaguars) have a cactus crammed up our asses when it comes to concepts like 'autonomy for our people'. Kill them."

The Inner Sphere's response was possibly my favorite moment of Battletech history. All of the squabbling Houses come together for the express purpose of annihilating Smoke Jaguar. I've always wondered what lesson the other Clans took from that.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Polaron posted:

The Inner Sphere's response was possibly my favorite moment of Battletech history. All of the squabbling Houses come together for the express purpose of annihilating Smoke Jaguar. I've always wondered what lesson the other Clans took from that.

The lesson?

"Welp, these guys don't play fair. You can ignore Zell when fighting Inner Sphere opponents."

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

And in their defense, the Jags promptly removed the commander who'd been in charge of things. Even they realized that they'd gone too far.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

PoptartsNinja posted:

The lesson?

"Welp, these guys don't play fair. You can ignore Zell when fighting Inner Sphere opponents."

Wait a second. Just so I can understand this properly they glassed a planet and committed a huge act of dishonor in the eyes of the Clans and themselves. So when the IS rightly unified to turn anything with a Smoke Jaguar logo into a smoking crater the Clans said that the IS "wasn't playing fair" and suspended their honor code?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Trast posted:

Wait a second. Just so I can understand this properly they glassed a planet and committed a huge act of dishonor in the eyes of the Clans and themselves. So when the IS rightly unified to turn anything with a Smoke Jaguar logo into a smoking crater the Clans said that the IS "wasn't playing fair" and suspended their honor code?

Pretty much. :911:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Clans are very devoted to their self-delusions. Clearly, the Smoke Jaguars didn't deserve it (even though everyone hated them), instead the Inner Sphere was just being a huge bag of dicks. So the Home Clans took their ball and went home, and kicked out everyone who'd ever seen the Inner Sphere.

Also, goddamn that's a lot of '2's.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

I am curious as to whether that is good news or bad news for the players. :raise:

I guess we'll discover that soon enough.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Trast posted:

To be fair, the IS had been doing a LOT of fuckery in the Clan's eyes. What caused the Turtle Bay massacre was that the civilians rose up and fought back - orchestrated by the Yakuza, they engaged in urban commando warfare to harass the Jaguars. The Jags, who had no real concept of how to even start to respond to things, went with their knee-jerk response - they decided that since the city was fighting back, it was a valid target and they orbitally bombarded it until it was a crater. The other Clan's response boiled down to: "You shouldn't kill civilians, and we are ashamed for your dishonor because that was bad and excessive. However, those dumb spheroids kinda had it coming for involving their civilians in the first place. What dishonorable dogs."

Declaring all of the IS dezgra was also a survival thing - the IS forces had shown absolutely no need to follow Clan honor and had frequently abused it to win. The Clans aren't that dumb, and used the excuse to stop abiding by their own rules when it gave them a chance to not win.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

I do hope that it is the nova cat that you rolled 2s for. :ohdear:

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Tempest_56 posted:

To be fair, the IS had been doing a LOT of fuckery in the Clan's eyes. What caused the Turtle Bay massacre was that the civilians rose up and fought back - orchestrated by the Yakuza, they engaged in urban commando warfare to harass the Jaguars. The Jags, who had no real concept of how to even start to respond to things, went with their knee-jerk response - they decided that since the city was fighting back, it was a valid target and they orbitally bombarded it until it was a crater. The other Clan's response boiled down to: "You shouldn't kill civilians, and we are ashamed for your dishonor because that was bad and excessive. However, those dumb spheroids kinda had it coming for involving their civilians in the first place. What dishonorable dogs."

The intresting thing is that ComStar in this version of Battletech is (seemingly) less intrested in co-operating with the clans. However, if I remember correctly, the clans were relying on ComStar to prevent prevent the locals doing precisely this. The clans are also more hardline - Widowmaker butchered its own Merchant class in the events that lead up to the Trial of Absorbtion that got Nicholas Kerensky skilled, and are now the dominant force in Clan politics. The Smoke Jaguar mentality is here in full force.

The combination of the clans being hardliners and the force that kept the population in check going into a bezerk rage is likely to lead to more massacres, and should have intresting knock on effects.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

landcollector posted:

I am curious as to whether that is good news or bad news for the players. :raise:

I guess we'll discover that soon enough.

If it's a goddamn lot, I'd presume it's both.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

PoptartsNinja posted:

Come on CT TAC with my AC20 on B2!

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

WarLocke posted:

That would be very bad. Although you really don't need a TAC with an AC20.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Vipers of Somerset: Tactical Update 4

Movement Phase
Random Ace Beta: B3 Unknown Heavy 1
Random Ace Gamma: G4 Unknown Assault 4
B3 Unknown Heavy 1 walks to 1712!

Combat Phase:
L* Cyclops fires Autocannon/20 at B2 Unknown Medium (4 base + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 0 range = 8): rolled 10, center torso (1/24 armor remains)!
L* Cyclops fires Medium Laser at B2 Unknown Medium (4 base + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 0 range = 8): rolled 7, miss!
L* Cyclops fires Medium Laser at B2 Unknown Medium (4 base + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 0 range = 8): rolled 7, miss!
L* Cyclops gains 15 heat, sinks 12! Now at Overheat 3!

L2 Zeus attempts to start a fire in hex 1710 with Large Laser (4 base + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 range - 4 immobile target = 3): rolled 7, hits! Needs 7+ to start a fire, rolled 3! No fire started!
L2 Zeus attempts to start a fire in hex 1710 with Medium Laser (4 base + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 range - 4 immobile target = 3): rolled 6, hits! Needs 7+ to start a fire, rolled 5! No fire started!
L2 Zeus gains 11 heat, sinks 17! Now at Overheat 0!

L3 Banshee fires PPC at B1 Battle Cobra (4 base + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 range + 1 light woods = 9): rolled 8, miss!
L3 Banshee fires Autocannon/10 at B1 Battle Cobra (4 base + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 range + 1 light woods = 9): rolled 6, miss!
L3 Banshee gains 14 heat, sinks 21! Now at Overheat 0!

L4 Wolfhound holds fire!
L4 Wolfhound gains 1 heat, sinks 10! Now at Overheat 0!

T1 Rommel Tank fires Autocannon/20 at B2 Unknown Medium 2 (4 base + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement + 0 range = 9): rolled 9, hit left leg (4/24 armor remains)!
T1 Rommel Tank fires LRM 5 at B2 Unknown Medium 2 (4 base + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement + 0 range + 4 minimum range = 13): automatic miss!

B1 Battle Cobra fires Large Pulse Laser at L3 Banshee (3 base + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 range - 2 Pulse Laser = 4): rolled 7, hit left arm (11/21 armor remains)!
B1 Battle Cobra fires Large Pulse Laser at L3 Banshee (3 base + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 range - 2 Pulse Laser = 4): rolled 6, hit left torso (20/30 armor remains)!
B1 Battle Cobra gains 21 heat, sinks 26! Now at overheat 0!

B2 Unknown Medium 2 fires ER Medium Laser at L* Cyclops (3 base + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range = 6): rolled 5, miss!
B2 Unknown Medium 2 fires ER Medium Laser at L* Cyclops (3 base + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range = 6): rolled 9, hit left arm (3/10 armor remains)!
B2 Unknown Medium 2 fires ER Medium Laser at L* Cyclops (3 base + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range = 6): rolled 6, hit left arm (0/10 armor, 11/15 structure remains)! Critical chance!
B2 Unknown Medium 2 fires ER Medium Laser at L* Cyclops (3 base + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range = 6): rolled 7, hit right torso (6/20 armor remains)!
B2 Unknown Medium 2 fires ER Medium Laser at L* Cyclops (3 base + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range = 6): rolled 9, hit left torso (13/20 armor remains)!
B2 Unknown Medium 2 fires ER Medium Laser at L* Cyclops (3 base + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range = 6): rolled 9, hit center torso (23/30 armor remains)!
B2 Unknown Medium 2 gains 36 heat, sinks 34! Now at overheat 2!

End Phase
Friendly Fighter Flyover (Turn 2/5)

L* Cyclops suffers a critical chance in Left Arm, 1 critical sustained!
L* Cyclops left-arm Medium Laser destroyed!

L* Cyclops must make a piloting check or fall (5 base + 1 massive damage + 0 hexes moved = 6): rolled 7, succeeds!

L3 Banshee must make a piloting check or fall (5 base + 1 massive damage + 0 hexes moved = 6): rolled 9, succeeds!

B2 Unknown Medium 2 must make a piloting check or fall (4 base + 1 massive damage + 2 hexes moved = 7): rolled 6, fails!
B2 Unknown Medium 2 suffers damage to right arm (6/16 armor remains)! Floating critical chance!
B2 Unknown Medium 2 must make a piloting check to avoid taking pilot damage (4 base + 1 massive damage + 2 hexes moved + 1 trying to avoid pilot damage = 8): rolled 6, pilot hit!
B2 Unknown Medium must make a 3+ consciousness test: rolled 2, fails!

B2 Unknown Medium 2 through-armor critical chance on right arm! No critical sustained!

Physical Combat Phase:

End Phase:
Fire needs 11+ to spread to 1510 (60 degrees from downwind), rolled 9, fire fails to spread!

“With that much firepower, these Clanners must have paper armor,” the Colonel growled, kicking his Cyclops into gear.

“Sir, I think we should—” Samantha called, trying to caution him—it was too late, the big Cyclops stepped out of cover and charged the little Clan design. Sam’s computer kept trying to call the little ‘Mech a Marauder before freaking out and designating it a Jenner. It was annoying. In a fit of pique, she tagged the ‘Mech as a ‘Thunderchild’ because of the lightning in its fists, and broadcast the placeholder to the entire Regiment.

“Let me show you why they call me the ‘Architect!” Rossi crowed, the Cyclops’s massive hip-mounted autocannon spitting a stream of shells that caught the little Clan ‘Mech dead center. It rocked, back but corrected easily, lunging forward to keep its feet.

“No armor penetration!” Sam called, horrified, her sensors painting a stark picture. A ‘Mech that small that could absorb a hit from a heavy autocannon? The Clanner’s response was immediate, Rossi’s Cyclops withering under its fire.

“’Ey, Clanner!” Sgt. Hammer cut in, her Rommel rolling forward and broadcasting in the clear, “If you’re not going to use that arm, can I have it? It would look great hanging above my mantle!”

The Rommel’s heavy autocannon vomited a stream of projectiles at the Thunderchild, hitting it in the shin. Already overbalanced, the machine toppled forward with enough force to shatter pavement. The pilot’s kneejerk response was good, she admitted—he managed to get his arm out in front of him, but his left was out of position to do any good. Sam cringed, in a design like that—with the pilot hanging so far forward—the force of impact could’ve been magnified catastrophically.

“No penetration,” she breathed again as her sensors updated. “What do they build these things out of, bullshit?”

Enemy Forces / Turn 0 movement!
B1 Unknown Medium 1 : Runs 4 to 0419!
B2 Unknown Medium 2: Temporarily Immobilized and Prone in hex 1614!
B3 Unknown Heavy 1: Waiting to Move!
B4 Unknown Heavy 2: Remains Stationary!
B5 Unknown Heavy 3: Remains Stationary!
G1 Unknown Assault 1: Remains Stationary!
G2 Unknown Assault 2: Waiting to Move!
G3 Unknown Assault 3: Remains Stationary!
G4 Unknown Assault 4: Remains Stationary!
G5 Unknown Assault 5: Remains Stationary!

Mission Objectives
Defeat Beta Star! (Partial Victory)
Survive! (3/20 Turns) (Total Victory)

Ace Note: Previous turn's movement will be in black, current turn's movement will be in green!
Map Note: A height 1 tunnel extends from hex 0912 to 1213. It is large enough to accommodate the Rommel, but not large enough for a Battlemech. Due to heat concerns, the Rommel may not fire its weapons while within the tunnel.
Special Guest Note: Tank front arc is the triangle.

CP-10-Z Cyclops
Weight: 90 tons (Assault)
HD A(S): 9/9 (3/3)
LT A(S): 13/20 (19/19)
LT R A(S): 8/8
CT A(S): 23/30 (29/29)
CT R A(S): 11/11
RT A(S): 6/20 (19/19)
RT R A(S): 8/8
LA A(S): 0/10 (11/15)
RA A(S): 10/10 (15/15)
LL A(S): 17/17 (19/19)
RL A(S): 17/17 (19/19)
Heat: 3/30
Overheat Penalty: None
Heat Sinks: 12
Movement: 4/6/0
Mechwarrior: Pilot 5, Gunnery 4
Mechwarrior Name: Colonel Aldo Rossi
Mechwarrior Player: WarLocke
Mechwarrior Status: OK!
Armament:
Autocannon 20 – RT (Heat: 8, Ammo: 19, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
LRM 10 – LT (Heat: 4, Ammo: 11, Range: (L:21 M:14 S:7 Min:6), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – RA (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – LA (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: DESTROYED!)
SRM 4 – CT (Heat: 3, Ammo: 25, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Critical Damage: None!
Notes: 2 hands

ZEU-6S Zeus
Weight: 80 tons (Assault)
LT A(S): 18/18 (17/17)
LT R A(S): 6/6
CT A(S): 26/26 (25/25)
CT R A(S): 9/9
RT A(S): 18/18 (17/17)
RT R A(S): 6/6
LA A(S): 22/22 (13/13)
RA A(S): 22/22 (13/13)
LL A(S): 24/24 (17/17)
RL A(S): 24/24 (17/17)
Heat: 0/30
Heat Sinks: 17
Movement: 4/6/0
Mechwarrior Name: Leutnant Samantha Clover
Mechwarrior Player: Mukaikubo
Armament:
Large Laser – LT (Heat: 8, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5), Status: OK!)
LRM 15 – RA (Heat: 5, Ammo: 7, Range: (L:21 M:14 S:7 Min:6), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser (REAR) – LT(R) (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – CT (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Autocannon/5 – LA (Heat: 1, Ammo: 20, Range: (L: M: S: Min:), Status: OK!)
Notes: No hands

BNC-3S Banshee
Weight: 95 tons (Assault)
LT A(S): 20/30 (20/20)
LT R A(S): 10/10
CT A(S): 40/40 (30/30)
CT R A(S): 17/17
RT A(S): 20/30 (20/20)
RT R A(S): 10/10
LA A(S): 11/21 (16/16)
RA A(S): 11/21 (16/16)
LL A(S): 26/26 (20/20)
RL A(S): 26/26 (20/20)
Heat Sinks: 21
Movement: 3/5/0
Mechwarrior Name: Staff Sergeant Major Gerhart von Kempner
Mechwarrior Player: Angry_Ed
Armament:
Autocannon/10 – LT (Heat: 3, Ammo: 18, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5), Status: OK!)
PPC – RT (Heat: 10, Range: (L:18 M:12 S:6 Min:3), Status: OK!)
PPC – LA (Heat: 10, Range: (L:18 M:12 S:6 Min:3), Status: OK!)
SRM 6 – RT (Heat: 4, Ammo: 15, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – RT (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Small Laser – HD (Heat: 1, Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1), Status: OK!)
Small Laser – CT (Heat: 1, Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1), Status: OK!)
Notes: 1 hand

WLF-1 Wolfhound
Weight: 35 tons (Light)
LT A(S): 11/11 (8/8)
LT R A(S): 5/5
CT A(S): 16/16 (11/11)
CT R A(S): 6/6
RT A(S): 11/11 (8/8)
RT R A(S): 5/5
LA A(S): 12/12 (6/6)
RA A(S): 12/12 (6/6)
LL A(S): 16/16 (8/8)
RL A(S): 16/16 (8/8)
Heat Sinks: 10
Movement: 6/9/0
Mechwarrior: Pilot 3, Gunnery 2
Mechwarrior Name: Corporal Richard Hunter
Mechwarrior Player: Spencerb
Armament:
Large Laser – RA (Heat: 8, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – CT (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – LT (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser (REAR) – CT(R) (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Notes: 1 hand

Rommel Tank:
Weight: 65 tons (Heavy)
Front A(S): 40/40 (7/7)
Left A(S): 39/39 (7/7)
Right A(S): 39/39 (7/7)
Turret A(S): 40/40 (7/7)
Rear A(S): 26/26 (7/7)
Movement: 4/6 Tracked
Crew: Driving 5, Gunnery 4
Tank Crew Twelve: Sergeant Bonnie Hammer, Private Sarah Montesquieu, PFC John Blucher
Player: Raverrn
Motive System Damage: None!
Armament:
Autocannon/20 – Turret (Ammo: 20, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
LRM 5 – Turret (Ammo: 24, Range: (L:21 M:14 S:7 Min:6), Status: OK!)
Small Laser – Front (Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1), Status: OK!)
Notes:

Enemy Status
Beta Star
B1 Battle Cobra
Tonnage: 40
Target: L3 BNC-3S Banshee
Pilot Name: Mechwarrior Tiegan
Pilot: Piloting 4, Gunnery 3
Overheat Penalty: None!
Armament: Unknown
Notes:

B2 Thunderchild
Tonnage: 50
Target: L* CP-10-Z Cyclops
Critical Damage: Pilot Unconscious!
Pilot Name: Mechwarrior Knox (severe concussion [3+ consciousness])
Notes: Equipped with ECM, becomes 'hidden' when out of Line of Sight!

B3 Unknown Heavy 1
Tonnage: 60
Target:
Pilot Name: ???
Notes:

B4 Unknown Heavy 2
Tonnage: 65
Target:
Notes:

B5 Unknown Heavy 3
Tonnage: 65
Target:
Notes: Equipped with ECM, becomes 'hidden' when out of Line of Sight!

Gamma Star
G1 Unknown Assault
Tonnage: 80
Target: None Possible!
Pilot: Piloting 2, Gunnery 1
Notes:

G2 Unknown Assault
Tonnage: 80
Notes:

G3 Unknown Assault
Tonnage: 85
Notes:

G4 Unknown Assault
Tonnage: 90
Notes:

G5 Unknown Assault
Tonnage: 95
Pilot Name: Star Colonel Dusk
Notes:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 28, 2011

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

WarLocke posted:

That would be hilarious, given the circumstances.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Failed a TH3 consciousness check? PTN knows how I play, I guess. Every single game I black out over the dumbest things. :smith:

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 28, 2011

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

B2 Unknown Medium must make a 3+ consciousness test: rolled 2, fails!

You lucky sons of bitches.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Yaaaaay, my proposed name for the clan mech was accepted! :D Thunderchild is a fine name for a Mech. Reppin' this H.G. Wells original scifi gangsta style, y'all. Probably wouldn't even upset the Clans too much; naming a mech after the first vessel, in fiction, to destroy a spaceship is a fine pedigree.

Also, we just fulfilled our quota of luck for the battle. Good job everyone. I think everyone knows what we're doing at this point, so no need for another tactics conclave. Just waiting for B3-4-5 to show up, then we'll have some more decisions to make.

Aesirstorm
Sep 16, 2002

NOT GAY
Dinosaur Gum
Poor little Not-Nova

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Mukaikubo posted:

Yaaaaay, my proposed name for the clan mech was accepted! :D Thunderchild is a fine name for a Mech. Reppin' this H.G. Wells original scifi gangsta style, y'all. Probably wouldn't even upset the Clans too much; naming a mech after the first vessel, in fiction, to destroy a spaceship is a fine pedigree.

Also, we just fulfilled our quota of luck for the battle. Good job everyone. I think everyone knows what we're doing at this point, so no need for another tactics conclave. Just waiting for B3-4-5 to show up, then we'll have some more decisions to make.

Speaking of, where is B3?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Speaking of, where is B3?

It got Random Ace 2 turns in a row. It hasn't moved yet.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

It got Random Ace 2 turns in a row. It hasn't moved yet.

So would that be why it's black this round?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Time for our mechwarriors to learn about aimed shots on unconscious opponents.

Get dat salvage.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

So would that be why it's black this round?

Ace Note: Previous turn's movement will be in black, current turn's movement will be in green!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Time for our mechwarriors to learn about aimed shots on unconscious opponents.

Get dat salvage.

Oh hey yeah. Time to blow his head off then claim his mech as isorla!

• Locked thread