Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Defiance Industries posted:

Not necessarily, since the people who would probably have the most pull with military leaders (any noble above Barons, who are usually only governors of one city) are barred from membership and the Estates General has no direct legal authority to issue orders. On the other hand, the voting blocs in the body are by region, so the leading figures in these blocs likely have a lot of pull with the leaders of regional brigades in times where they were feeling neglected. Obviously, it's hard to sway a unit that's treated really well by command away from the Archon but if, say, the Donegal Guards were suffering the two people that the brigade leader would look to for support would likely be the Duke of Donegal and Donegal's representative in the Estates General. Also, I would imagine any Estates General members who have notable military service (like, say, if Paul Zardetto retired from leading the 3rd Lyran and ran for his planetary representative) would have a lot of informal pull.

Of course, if the Archon dies with no clear regent and a heir who is under age, like what happened with Claudius Steiner, precedent states that the Estates General has the power to set up a regency as they did during the Triumvirate years. I would imagine that, like with the Triumvirate, the Speaker of the Estates General will be part of that arrangement in some way.

Barring barons and above is surprisingly sensible. Who were the other two in the Triumvirate? And how does someone get the position of Estate General?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Weissritter posted:

Barring barons and above is surprisingly sensible. Who were the other two in the Triumvirate? And how does someone get the position of Estate General?

The Triumvirate was made up of Claudius's widow, the Speaker of the Estates General, and I forget the third person. As for membership in the Estates General, people are appointed by worlds using whatever criteria those worlds settle on, usually democratic elections. A lot like the FWL's parliament in that regard.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The third person was the Duchess of Skye. They worked well for a while but in the last couple years they realized their time was up and Elizabeth Steiner's time was now, so they started looking out for personal gain more than the realm.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

The third person was the Duchess of Skye. They worked well for a while but in the last couple years they realized their time was up and Elizabeth Steiner's time was now, so they started looking out for personal gain more than the realm.

great, now I'm imagining the backing track for the Archon-coronation-whatever ceremony being John Cena's. Thanks, DI. Thanks a lot.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Zaodai posted:

That's the reason I've been cheering for the Cappellans. Most people don't find their over the top villainy nearly as amusing, for whatever reason. :v:

Well, there's cheering for supervillains and then there's cheering for SUPERVILLAINS. Like, people who actually want to destroy the world rather than, say, people who want to break into a giant skullshaped castle or mess with giant arachnids.

Edit: Sorry, I meant less "want" and more "will"

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 17, 2016

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The Cappellans aren't out to destroy the world, though? They're just more direct about wanting to conquer it. When you have a bad rep and are seen as a punching bag, you're not exactly going to polite your way to victory. You have to be more ruthless to compensate.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

evilmiera posted:

mess with giant arachnids.

So by cheering for the coming Second Crusade, we're cheering for supervillains?

Because gently caress the Widowmakers.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Psion posted:

great, now I'm imagining the backing track for the Archon-coronation-whatever ceremony being John Cena's. Thanks, DI. Thanks a lot.

It doesn't line up perfectly because "never selling your losses because you just pop right back up totally okay after getting beaten" is the Jade Falcon gimmick.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
I have /finally/, finally caught up on this ludicrously large thread. Holy loving poo poo. Welp, time to sit tight until the next vote.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

It doesn't line up perfectly because "never selling your losses because you just pop right back up totally okay after getting beaten" is the Jade Falcon gimmick.

you can always see the Jade Falcons and their time is never, so while I agree it's not perfect it's a better fit for the Steiners.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Update slightly delayed because I went and saw Deadpool. We're still on pace for tonight.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Truly a map for ants Locusts.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

But showing it like that makes several of those building look like huge mechs taking up seven tiles alone. (Well, not seven, four to six but details, details...)

Which means we have found something to spice up the next Hogarth movie.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Vote Results

“Ah, gentlemen, welcome. Please forgive the mess, we’ve been making preparations for departure.” Face half-hidden by boxes, a man in the field uniform of the Duchy of Andurien stood and turned. The three gold bars of an FWLM Lieutenant Colonel adorning his epaulettes drew a look of inquisitive incredulity to Duncan’s face. Jason kept himself carefully neutral at the speaker replied to Duncan’s unasked question with only the barest ghost of a smile.

“I’m Tagmatarchis Jaroslav Mirche. As you’ve no doubt surmised, the uniform is a pretense: the Rim World Republic has a long-standing agreement with ComStar not to recruit mercenaries from within the Inner Sphere. We’re still here with ComStar’s tacit approval, and ComStar’s Mercenary Review Board has already vetted our payment accounts, but it’s still worth respecting the written terms of that agreement even if we’re violating the spirit a bit.”

The Major’s smile was sincere enough, but Jason held his tongue. The contract’s terms were iron clad, but unlike most of the contracts he’d worked with, many of the clauses were worded to protect the mercenary hirelings rather than their employer. The Republic may have had ComStar’s “tacit approval” to hire mercenaries but ComStar’s Mercenary Review Board obviously meant to punish them for not re-negotiating whatever agreement they’d held previously. If something did go wrong, the monopolistic Mercenary Review Board would levy heavy fines on the Republic or even automatically blacklist their future contracts. It would be small comfort to dead men, but just because something looked like a trap didn’t mean it was one. Whatever the Rim Worlders had in mind was likely preferable to attacking the Outworlds Alliance without any aerospace fighters of their own. Jason hadn’t thought to hire any, and picking up even a single aerojock on such short notice would be nearly impossible.

“Speaking of violating the spirit of an agreement,” Duncan pressed with wry amusement, “we have some concerns about the contract as presented. Namely—”

“The bounty?” The Major interrupted.

Duncan shook his head. “No. You’re only offering what is, admittedly, exceptionally generous battle loss compensation. Our support costs alone will make this venture unprofitable.”

“You can thank the Mercenary Review Board for that,” Major Mirche shook his head. He rolled his eyes in an exaggerated fashion, “They wanted us to commit to some fixed percentage and apparently their computer system has no way of properly listing what we call ‘variable support.’ You will be operating in large part out of Rim World Army facilities, in support of a major defensive campaign. As such, it’s in our best interests to keep you and your machines as highly tuned as our technical support staff can manage. You will be responsible for the salaries of your own technical staff, but all parts, repairs, and ammunition resupply will be provided by the RWA. You’ll have full access to our equipment and our stores, within reason, and if any of your pilots are using older machines—and if we have time—the Republic is willing to help you upgrade your units at components cost.”

The Major smiled slyly, and scratched at his pencil moustache. “That’s cost to us, so a fair bit cheaper than you’d find anywhere in the Inner Sphere.”

Jason felt the skin of his hand tighten as his fingers curled into a fist. Punching their prospective employer would be a quick end to negotiations, but it would’ve been very satisfying. Duncan didn’t seem bothered, or even really to notice. He affected an air of mild disinterest, like a bored noble who was only half paying attention. He fidgeted with the nameplate on the Major’s desk.

“And while we’re serving in RWA bases, our technicians will be helping out with any of your repairs as well?” Duncan mused, managing to sound as though he was talking to himself.

“That’s not a requirement,” Mirche admitted. “They wouldn’t be checked out to maintain Republic equipment and we likely won’t have time to bring them up to speed.”

“They could still serve as assistant technicians and learn on the job,” Jason pointed out. It was obvious enough where Duncan was taking this argument, so Jason gave it another little push. “There’s been a glut of trained technicians looking for work lately. I’d be willing to bet most of the companies you hired fired most of their technical support staff, so having trained techs willing to work on other mercenary `Mechs could free up some of your own staff.”

“That’s a possibility we hadn’t considered,” Major Mirche admitted, looking suddenly nonplussed. He fell silent for a few moments, stroking his moustache as though trying to decide how many man hours would be needed if every mercenary company he hired demanded full technical support from the Republic. “The, ah, Republic,” he offered, “would be willing to offer a small, say, fifty-thousand c-bill signing bonus, if you were to hire on as many extra technicians as your DropShip can safely transport. And we will pay their salaries, if you’ll see fit to loan them to assist the other mercenary units you’ll be stationed with.”

“That’s fair,” Duncan agreed. “We should be able to hire on enough to cover a battalion. And if we need to, we’ll let other mercenary companies hire some of them out from under us once they realize they’ll be using their Mechwarriors for most of their tech support. Which would be to your benefit, since they’d be taking on those techs’ salaries. We had another concern, though: salvage rights. We want—”

“No,” the Major interrupted in no uncertain terms. “If it were remotely practicable, we’d be offering salvage rights, but we simply won’t have the capacity to salvage every `Mech downed. It’s likely the enemy will be salvaging units and returning them to battle as well, and after the fighting ends the Republic’s not willing to spend the time adjudicating which piece of battlefield wreckage belongs to which military unit. That’s why we’re offering a bounty on confirmed `Mech kills: one million per weight class in c-bills, or 1.5 million in manufactured goods—weapons, armor, parts, computer chipsets, engines, even factory new BattleMechs if you’re particularly successful, and that’s in addition to any necessary replacement machines. President Amaris would rather destroy or booby trap any salvageable enemy `Mechs so the enemy won’t be able to easily return them to active duty.”

“We’re expecting a war of attrition,” Mirche continued. “And we expect the brunt of that war to be borne by the Rim World Army. Your company—and the other Mercenaries we hired—will be serving in an auxiliary capacity, defending supply depots and convoys or acting as a mobile reserve force. If all goes well, you’d never see combat, but we’re realists: it’s going to happen, and we’ll see to it that you’re rewarded when it does.”

“Fine then,” Duncan pressed. “That’s fair, but if we can’t negotiate for salvage then I know Jason would prefer a concession from the Republic: command rights. Simply put, we’re a new unit, Jason and I need a chance to show our people what we can do and why, beyond the fact that we sign their paychecks, they should follow our orders. We can’t do that if you assign a ‘command lance’ to babysit and order us around, or whatever your plan is. We’ll follow the RWA’s orders, but we’d like the opportunity to decide how to go about it. We’re willing to cede some transportation costs—”

“That won’t be necessary, we already have a command circuit established. You’re coming to aid us, Captain Kalma, the least we can do is pay your ‘bus fare.’” The Major paused, considering Duncan’s other request for a few long moments.

“Very well. We’ve made concessions for this already: the Republic is willing, provisionally willing, to reduce our ‘tactical interference’ to a simple liaison officer to help keep you, ah, ‘on track’ in the field. But understand failing to follow high command’s orders will be a breach of contract and the Rim World Army reserves the right to assign you an integrated command staff under that circumstance and one other: in the unfortunate event that combat losses render your command structure—we’ll say non-viable.”

“In other words,” Jason interjected, “you’ll saddle the company with your own lance and company commanders if Duncan and I bite it.”

“In a nutshell,” the Major admitted. “Otherwise, our liaison officer will act as an observer and an additional combatant. That will bring your compliment up to… fourteen, I believe? A respectable fighting force, even considering the Locusts. Do you have any other demands?”

“No,” Duncan conceded, glancing Jason’s direction. Jason nodded.

“We’ll take the job, if you want us.”

“Excellent,” the Major clapped his hands together. “I wasn’t looking forward to returning home with an empty docking collar on the JumpShip anyway. Go make some last-minute additions to your technical staff and—can you be ready to launch in two days?”

********************************************************************************

Duncan lounged in his Atlas’s cockpit, its idling engine sending a tingling vibration through the soles of his boots. At any given time, half of the company was on ready-five status, prepared to power up and fight at a moment’s notice. The supply base they’d been assigned to was well behind the front lines, but those battle lines were fluid. The Clan landing had been hugely delayed even after they’d entered orbit. Duncan wasn’t sure of the specifics, but their own landing had been delayed to wait for the right ‘window.’ He’d assumed it was a storm until he descended the DropShip’s boarding ramp and saw clear skies. Their young liaison officer had been forthcoming, at least, but the specifics had gone over Duncan’s head.

Apparently the Republic had practically filled the skies with armored satellites, unarmored satellites, high-velocity gauss rifle rounds, and even simple rocks that rendered low orbital space incredibly risky, especially for aerospace fighters. The release of this orbital debris had been carefully calculated in advance, allowing brief ‘windows’ where it was relatively safe to effect a landing. These windows had been actively transmitted to the Clans, practically funneling them into landing zones of the Republic’s choosing. At least one Clan DropShip had been destroyed trying to land outside one of those windows.

The Clans had begun landing three days ago, but the most either side had seen had been small skirmishes. Raiding parties and scouts sent to keep the other side off-balance. The heavy stomping footfalls of a quadrupedal BattleMech echoed through the Mechbay, drowning out the technicians on the external microphones. An insect-like face turned to regard the `Mechs inside for a few moments before continuing on its way. Duncan suppressed an involuntary shudder—that was something else that had taken him by surprise.

Their liaison, Lt. Alec Delwyn of the 427th Amaris Dragoons, had called the unusual lightweight quads Revenants. Andurien was crawling with them: semi-autonomous drones that outnumbered piloted BattleMechs by what felt like 6:1. Alec’s advice had been to treat them like half-trained hunting dogs. They worked fine so long as they were leashed, but the moment something caught their attention they’d chase it until they killed it or something either distracted them or calmed them down. They made for poor guards and only passable scouts, but Duncan had to admit he wouldn’t mind one bit if the Clans wanted to waste ammo—and the element of surprise—shooting at them.

A hand pounded on the Atlas’s entrance hatch. He released the locking mechanism, and Alec poked his head into the cockpit.

“Bored, Captain Kalma?”

Duncan snorted. The kid was respectful to a fault. “It’s Duncan. Or Demon, if you prefer callsigns.”

“Demon, then.” Duncan knew the Lieutenant wouldn’t stick to that concession for long. He’d probably need a reminder until they’d fought together in the field. He waved at the radio, through which a near-constant stream of rhetoric. The voice of Stefan Amaris the seventh himself. He was railing against the excesses of the Camerons, the innumerable crimes of the old Terran Hegemony, at old General Kerensky, and the dreams of periphery colonists—and the hope for a better future those regimes had supposedly sabotaged. The Rim Worlders had practically covered Andurien in transmitters—both for their own laser-based communications systems and to flood nearly every frequency band with Amaris’s words. Duncan had been listening for two hours and the man hadn’t repeated himself once.

“Just curious about the man I’m working for,” he joked. “And wondering when the recording’s going to loop.”

“If all goes well, it’s not,” Alec laughed. “I’m told there’s over three straight weeks of it ready to broadcast, non-stop. We’ve ‘forgotten’ a few frequency bands for the Clans to use—they don’t broadcast with encryption, so our analysts have a pretty good idea what they’re doing even if we’re not entirely sure which unit is which.”

“Between that and the satellites,” Duncan fished for more info, “you must be hitting them pretty hard now that they’ve rolled out.”

“We are,” Alec admitted. “We’ve hammed their main push. Lost a lot of Revenants, I’m told, but that’s what they’re there for. The Clan advance stalled when their `Mechs ran short on ammo and then the Dragoons and the 331st rolled up on them and forced them back to their landing zones. Both sides have withdrawn for now, so command wants us to make a supply run while things look quiet. I told them the Demon Hawks would take the first run—I know I should’ve consulted with you or Jason first, but Jason was asleep and you weren’t listening to the base comms. And I know you’ve been eager to get out and about, so I didn’t see the harm.”

The kid looked chagrined, it was the choice Duncan would’ve made but all the same, it was way outside Alec’s boundaries as a liaison officer. Seeing the look on Duncan’s face, Alec sputtered, “Look, I know you’re not happy about that, but I’d really rather not leave a potentially vital supply convoy to the Crimson Reapers. Who knows what they’d do with it. And command wanted a go or no-go right there, so—”

“It’s alright, kid,” Duncan shook his head. “We’d have taken it. Just—wake Jason next time if you can’t reach me. I’m going to make you go do just that so we can move out.”

Demon Hawks
Demon Lance

Hawk Lance

Possible Allied Forces

Convoy elements
Possible Aerospace support

Expected Resistance
Raiding Elements, Clan Snow Raven, Alpha Galaxy

Mechwarriors
- dis astranagant
- Pooncha
- ArbitraryTA
- vuk83
- Kirenski
- Shinarato
- Otter Madness
- Lenisto
- Telamon
- Arcturas
- Pussy Cartel
- Kilty Monroe
- Ice Fist

Alternates
- Seb Mojo
- AmyL
- LegendairyBovine
- Cimbri
- El Spamo
- Corponation
- GhostofJohnMuir
- Loxbourne

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Clan Snow Raven is your OPFOR?

Whoever has the Enfield and the Dragon II: You'll want to be careful, because you're the two players with flak and anti-air gunnery tends to be a binary:

Either you have flak, and you can make the life of an aerospace pilot very very miserable, or you don't have flak and those guys will be making your life very very miserable.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
I knew I was going to get the *~LYRAN `MECH REPORTER~* as soon as I saw the callsign. :allears:

Brush me up on how UACs work? IIRC, I can set them to either regular or Ultra mode, right?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Welp, looks like it's the faceplant special for me. No running on tarmac or playing Koolaid Man here :v:

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Zombie mech ahoy. This'll be fun!

Boy that pilot, at least I'm used to using 4/5s.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Also, the Lieutenant is in one sexy, sexy machine.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Ooh, a gauss rifle! Shiny. That plus an LRM-10 on a medium mech sounds like solid long-range firepower, even if the Osprey is a bit slow.

PTN, remind me again what I need to do to let you know I'm good to go? I've got PMs.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Arcturas posted:

Ooh, a gauss rifle! Shiny. That plus an LRM-10 on a medium mech sounds like solid long-range firepower, even if the Osprey is a bit slow.

PTN, remind me again what I need to do to let you know I'm good to go? I've got PMs.

I'll send messages out, don't worry.

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

You weaponized Kessler Syndrome?!?! That's loving evil.

I knew I picked right with voting NRWR :getin:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Pooncha posted:

I knew I was going to get the *~LYRAN `MECH REPORTER~* as soon as I saw the callsign. :allears:

Brush me up on how UACs work? IIRC, I can set them to either regular or Ultra mode, right?

Regular or Ultra mode, if you roll a 2 in Ultra mode I think you get a jam and have to spend a turn not shooting to clear it iirc. Ultra mode works like other cluster weapons, where you just roll an extra time to see if one or two shells hit. Firing in Ultra mode does generate double heat, though you have enough sinks to not even care in the slightest. You can even lose a sink and still be heat neutral while running.

Also this scenario looks super fun!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Awwww yuss, it's on now, bitches!

Honestly, the kill bounty seems pretty generous. Do they still get the bounty credit if the liaison officer or a Revenant gets a kill? Those would be forces attached to the Demon Hawks command, and considering they negotiated the extra command leniency I'd think they could probably argue that they should get paid even if the attached NRWR forces technically get the last hit. (Gotta farm up that CS!)

I'm honestly super pumped for this campaign. Seems like there will be some logistical impact on top of all the awesome fights and story goodness. This is going to be awesome. And there's already an Awesome on the board to boot!

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Some back-of-the-envelope thoughts:

Despite the big guns there's quite a lot of mobility, and considering you're fighting clanners that's a good thing; you'll want to pin them down and bracket them to reduce their movement options and make sure that your units can get good hits in. The Sunfire and Anvil make a nice cavalryish pairing, and the Po can probably ride shotgun for them as well - there's some decent medium-range potential with that grouping as well as short range punch.

The Phoenix Hawk, Komodo, and Enfield are a nice short lance for skirmishing, though the PHX may want to stay a bit further back and LPL snipe if there are no good openings. The Enfield can act as air cover for all the advance elements, though the PXH can help with that as well just from sheer gunnery. Regardless, hopping around is always good, and using those two short lances in tandem to bracket enemies is probably a good bet, with the heavier stuff being the anvil that the two advance elements will want to funnel things towards.

The Osprey, Atlas, Hunchback, Tempest, Dragoon and Awesome are probably all best served grouping up, with the more mobile units able to cover the Atlas/Awesome's flanks if the actual flankers can't. Lots of downrange fire in that grouping; find a good spot with cover for the Atlas/Awesome, and have the others fill in/respond to threats as needed, and make use of the gausses, ACs and PPCs to lay into whatever the advance units can pin down. The Dragoon should probably focus on air targets first and foremost - it's ideal as an anti-aircraft unit and if there are threats it's the one to deal with them.

Lastly, the Locusts are best served skirting the edges and exploiting in tandem - they will probably work best supporting one of the two other fast groups.

One interesting thing is that you guys have a lot of ECM - one or two in each of those groupings above. Be sure to leverage it with ghost targets and the like where you can, for force protection purposes. It may not seem like much but it will go a long way towards making sure the majority of units survive for whatever the next phase of the campaign is.

Also, Duncan's Atlas having a TAG, but with nothing obvious to leverage it, makes me wonder what other support elements PTN might have in mind.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

dis astranagant posted:

Welp, looks like it's the faceplant special for me. No running on tarmac or playing Koolaid Man here :v:

On the other hand, you kick with the force of an AC/20 and a cool -2 modifier built in, and even at piloting 6 you probably won't fall if you miss.

You're too much of a fatass to go hunting with the Justice Foot, but if someone sets themselves up you had better kick that gift horse right in fuckin' the teeth.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 18, 2016

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Revenants? :aaaaa: The Rim Worlders really are this timeline's Blakists.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

LeadSled posted:

You weaponized Kessler Syndrome?!?! That's loving evil.

Yeah, to be honest that plus Revenants plus three weeks of prerecorded propaganda (where did Stefan even get that much recording time?) is kind of winning me over to the Rimworlders. Okay, so he's trying to puppetmaster his way into leadership of the new Star League, at least he's got flair.

Something I missed, though - why did they bother telling the Clans when those landing windows would be? Either the Clans' superior tech would let them figure it out for themselves or they'd lose more than one dropship to trial and error. Best explanation I can figure is it was actually the former but they told the Clans specifically knowing they're prideful enough to try and not use the landing method Amaris told them about, costing them a dropship.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Dolash posted:

Something I missed, though - why did they bother telling the Clans when those landing windows would be? Either the Clans' superior tech would let them figure it out for themselves or they'd lose more than one dropship to trial and error. Best explanation I can figure is it was actually the first case but they told the Clans specifically knowing they're prideful enough to try and not use the landing method Amaris told them about, costing them a dropship.

My bet would be that they figured that there was a decent chance that the Clans would look at the heavily-protected-against-orbital-insertion planet and say "Yeah, gently caress this, we're just going to glass them from orbit." By telling them that the insertion windows exist, Amaris is essentially indicating to the Clans that he's willing to buy in to the whole "settle disputes through honorable combat" bit, which he knows they can't resist; now they have to find that battle on his terms.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

My bet would be that they figured that there was a decent chance that the Clans would look at the heavily-protected-against-orbital-insertion planet and say "Yeah, gently caress this, we're just going to glass them from orbit." By telling them that the insertion windows exist, Amaris is essentially indicating to the Clans that he's willing to buy in to the whole "settle disputes through honorable combat" bit, which he knows they can't resist; now they have to find that battle on his terms.

Also, Armais' goal is to completely humiliate and destroy the Clanners. Directly challenging them to battle, even if it's in such a roundabout way, serves his goals as it is.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
The windows in the orbital debris essentially honor bind the Clans into accepting the challenge and engaging him on his own terms. If you don't leave them any way to accept your challenge then they'll just go off script instead of landing on your specially prepared meatrginder planet, whether that involves tossing out some nukes or just going to gently caress with places you didn't want them to touch.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

He's basically waiving his dick at them. If they try and run through the debris cloud, their poo poo gets wrecked and he wins. If they land only in the windows he accounted for, they land on his terms and he gets an advantage. If they say "gently caress that!" and leave, he STILL wins and they look like huge cowards. You can't declare a holy war and then back down, and Amaris knows that.

So he's basically setting up the fight in a big, horror movie style abandoned warehouse, but leaving the front door open. "What, you said you wanted to fight me. Are we going to fight, or are you a BITCH?!"

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
PTN, that Tempest doesn't have locations noted for its weapons. Otherwise this looks like it will be a glorious clusterfuck.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
It must be fun planning a defensive campaign against opponents who are compelled to walk into blatant traps rather risk losing face. It's like you don't even have to put leaves over the pit traps.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

Voyager I posted:

It must be fun planning a defensive campaign against opponents who are compelled to walk into blatant traps rather risk losing face. It's like you don't even have to put leaves over the pit traps.

To be fair the Clans quickly decide "gently caress this, screw honor" when fighting the Inner Sphere in the canon universe after enough poo poo like this happens. But yes this hurts them a great deal.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cimbri posted:

To be fair the Clans quickly decide "gently caress this, screw honor" when fighting the Inner Sphere in the canon universe after enough poo poo like this happens. But yes this hurts them a great deal.

I think when you're being openly challenged by the guy you consider to be Literally Satan and have built up as the grand enemy of all that caused the exodus in the first place, it's even harder to be pragmatic about it. Even people from sane societies might not be able to keep their cool in the face of that.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Especially because part of this battle is to prove that they are morally superior, and that Kerensky Did Nothing Wrong.

If they abandon his grand retarded plan, their victory is tainted (and a loss would be even MORE devastating). Especially when the other Clans show up.

[EDIT] I'm sure within certain battles specific Clanners will say gently caress it, and in general they'll ease their rules SOME. But it'll create a divide between the hardline idealists and the pragmatists within the Clan units. Over a two year campaign? That's a long time to get butthurt at your friends.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Especially since everything from the jamming method they've chosen to painting their bullet catchers in SLDF colors is designed to piss the Clans off even more.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Especially since everything from the jamming method they've chosen to painting their bullet catchers in SLDF colors is designed to piss the Clans off even more.

Yes, yes it is. Such wonderful attention to detail. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Some hexes have outlines around them (example: 0405). What does that represent? Fencing? Minefields? Places where Revenants might be hiding?

• Locked thread