Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
PTN doesn't never have cards up his sleeve against the players and he tends to play his Opfor in character. Not taking a withdrawl from Team Warcrimes at face value really isn't that much of a stretch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

No need to relitigate the past, let's focus on fresh, new crises that face our heroes in the future!

I would love it if the Revenants accidentally overperform and give those Clan mechs near the southern edge some serious damage, maybe even a free headshot. I guess the point was made that they're dumb, hard to control and not great mechs to begin with but making swarms of disposable AI-mechs to soften up targets and break all the rules of mech-fighting like "retreat before you lose your expensive ride" is a great idea. A real game-changer second only to the Clans in the last few centuries of Succession Wars. Hopefully, they'll link up with the robots the Capellans are making and take over!

Edit: Pre-emptive vote for all-Revenant scenario after this one, where players are asked to submit programs up front to control their mechs for them and the whole scenario is auto-resolved.

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!

MJ12 posted:

Something else I noticed-you have two TAG-capable units but not that many LRMs.

Does that mean there's going to be laser-guided bombs or off-board artillery? :D :D

I think the primary variant of the Komodo just comes with one out of the box but I'd be happy to bring the rain if it's available.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Hoping for Arrows on space planes. Because that would be just wonderful. Can they arrowstrafe?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I think Zaodai adds a lot of color to discussions.

And if the players didn't take his suggestions to heart we wouldn't have gotten that neat moment from The Broken, so from the peanut gallery it all worked out.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Dolash posted:

Edit: Pre-emptive vote for all-Revenant scenario after this one, where players are asked to submit programs up front to control their mechs for them and the whole scenario is auto-resolved.

Expanding on this for fan-fiction of a fan-fiction fun. Amaris is disappointed with the high attrition rate of his Revenants and tracks down the Inner Sphere's six best hackers. Each of them gets one Revenant to program and the six-bot team is sent on an evaluation mission, with the best-performing mech's programmer being elevated to chief system architect for the Revenant v2s. Maybe Hogarth the script up a bit so the mission goes awry and the nerds have to survive behind enemy lines and learn valuable lessons about teamwork.

I have no idea what the state of programming knowledge is in the rest of the Inner Sphere, considering even most backwoods still seem to make use of digital technology and office equipment. Presumably anyone too good would be under pressure to join Comstar or else. Actually, I guess considering Amaris's connections to Comstar, "or else" could actually mean shipped out to the fringe of the Sphere to work on a secret supervillain's military AI project, so that might've already happened.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I think Zaodai adds a lot of color to discussions.

Specifically red colour, in the form of text under AVs.

Lenisto
Nov 1, 2012
PHX-2 here

It looks like we're not going to have much luck getting LOS on those light mechs in the base this turn between the buildings and that hill on the left. I was thinking about running southwest (1009 this turn and towards ~0213 next turn) to take advantage of that cover and hopefully get some LPL snipe shots in. My initial idea was to cross the river but those woods on the west bank make it tough to get a shot off from there unless the lights move up a lot and I'd rather not catch the attention of the southern star until we're ready for them.

Quick ECM question too: for canceling out the Artemis IV bonus does the attacker have to be in the ECM bubble or the target?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Lenisto posted:

PHX-2 here

It looks like we're not going to have much luck getting LOS on those light mechs in the base this turn between the buildings and that hill on the left. I was thinking about running southwest (1009 this turn and towards ~0213 next turn) to take advantage of that cover and hopefully get some LPL snipe shots in. My initial idea was to cross the river but those woods on the west bank make it tough to get a shot off from there unless the lights move up a lot and I'd rather not catch the attention of the southern star until we're ready for them.

Quick ECM question too: for canceling out the Artemis IV bonus does the attacker have to be in the ECM bubble or the target?

I'm in 1009 and my plan basically requires me to be there.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014
So I am going to move up to 0909 unless anyone objects. Also, I'm pretty sure the Kit Fox Prime can fire on anything on the eastern side of the road; TN is probably poo poo, but just be wary.

Edit: Orders sent Moving to 0909

Otter Madness fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 23, 2016

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I'll try to get on an discuss orders when I get home tonight.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

Pooncha posted:

Thinking of running to 1408. May as well stay close to the convoy with my boomsticks.

This is what I will be doing sending. I want to sleep early tonight so I won't be on to robonerd for any other/better options. Hopefully it'll change for future rounds.

Pooncha fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 23, 2016

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Lenisto posted:

It's better than that.

Artemis benefits are lost if the missile flightpath takes them through an ECM bubble.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Dolash posted:

Dolash posted:

Expanding on this for fan-fiction of a fan-fiction fun. Amaris is disappointed with the high attrition rate of his Revenants and tracks down the Inner Sphere's six best hackers. Each of them gets one Revenant to program and the six-bot team is sent on an evaluation mission, with the best-performing mech's programmer being elevated to chief system architect for the Revenant v2s. Maybe Hogarth the script up a bit so the mission goes awry and the nerds have to survive behind enemy lines and learn valuable lessons about teamwork.

I have no idea what the state of programming knowledge is in the rest of the Inner Sphere, considering even most backwoods still seem to make use of digital technology and office equipment. Presumably anyone too good would be under pressure to join Comstar or else. Actually, I guess considering Amaris's connections to Comstar, "or else" could actually mean shipped out to the fringe of the Sphere to work on a secret supervillain's military AI project, so that might've already happened.

This is the mission I never knew I wanted.

Although I'm already really digging this mission, particularly after the awesome fluff introducing the scenario. Go get 'em, Goonlance!

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

PTN, orders are due at 11:00 pm tonight, right? I just realized I forgot to send orders last night. It's a pain to type them on my phone but I can send them before 9 pm MST if that works.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dolash posted:

I'll supply the Robo Rally board and cards, you supply the battlemech miniatures and the transparent hexmap overlay sheets.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Arcturas posted:

PTN, orders are due at 11:00 pm tonight, right? I just realized I forgot to send orders last night. It's a pain to type them on my phone but I can send them before 9 pm MST if that works.

I don't think he starts his update until Wednesday so so long as they're in at some point tonight you're probably fine!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Arcturas posted:

Orders are due before I start working on the update sometime tomorrow, so you have time. I give a midnight due date because sometimes I can do part of the update the night before if enough people get their actions in early enough.

Also because I like to know right away when I wake up if I need to flag down an alternate. It's why I don't like to start missions with enemies in line-of-sight.

Lenisto
Nov 1, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

I'm in 1009 and my plan basically requires me to be there.

Good to know. Then with 0909 and 1009 claimed I'll move to 1110.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Great, thanks.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

Dolash posted:

Rather than subjecting PTN to that horror of if/then statements, just have participants build bots in Carnage Heart or the like, then run their chosen programs to see how it shakes out.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

I wasn't enthused about this choice for a mission when it was picked, but seeing it being played is starting to get me turned around on it, especially when PTN showed the Demon Hawks' mechs, and the weaponized Kessler Syndrome in the pre-mission fluff.

Still have no idea who I want to root for to win here, though.

Kirenski
Sep 5, 2012
Tempest

I'm thinking of going to 0913 to jump up the hill next turn.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Moving the Locusts to 0207 and 0613.

Kirenski
Sep 5, 2012

Kirenski posted:

Tempest

I'm thinking of going to 0913 to jump up the hill next turn.

Done and ending my movement facing 1013, also due to the amount of people I've made a spreadsheet to keep track of where our mechs are ending so we don't bump heads. Link

The cells with duplicate numbers will highlight. I've allowed edits so players can change their ending hex.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Ice Fist posted:

Moving the Locusts to 0207 and 0613.
I think you can only make it to 0713 with the terrain and elevation changes.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Ardlen posted:

I think you can only make it to 0713 with the terrain and elevation changes.

I did not know that turning to face a new hex cost an MP as irc just explained to me. Order still stands even if I'm one hex short

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Thanks for that google doc. That's helpful.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I didn't receive orders for two `Mechs (I was expecting that, nobody panic), so I'll be calling up a couple of alternates. I'll have them send back-up orders for the no-shows in case I don't get orders from them again next turn.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

I didn't receive orders for two `Mechs (I was expecting that, nobody panic), so I'll be calling up a couple of alternates. I'll have them send back-up orders for the no-shows in case I don't get orders from them again next turn.

There's always room for a bigger brother in this Locust family :)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I decided to make some 'ECM Bubble' templates to make sure I don't forget to apply it this mission (and make it easier for players to see where their coverage is).

Edit: We'll have to see if this clutters up the map too much.

Edit: Oh, hey, an alternate was able to get orders in in time for turn 1!

Edit: Suddenly, fighters!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 24, 2016

Shinarato
Apr 22, 2013

PoptartsNinja posted:

I decided to make some 'ECM Bubble' templates to make sure I don't forget to apply it this mission (and make it easier for players to see where their coverage is).

Edit: We'll have to see if this clutters up the map too much.

Edit: Oh, hey, an alternate was able to get orders in in time for turn 1!

Edit: Suddenly, fighters!

That's pretty darn sudden!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Auxilia: Tactical Update 2

“Demon Hawks, this is Fox Flight. We hear a couple of partygoers are making a move on you. We’d offer to drop some bombs,” the pilot offered wryly in what sounded, to Barna Roland’s ear, disturbingly similar to the Davion-British accent he’d grown up with. “But our next payload’s still in your convoy. So unless you’d like to pass a couple your party favors up to us when we fly by, you’ll have to make due with a little strafing.”

“Copy that, Fox Flight,” Jason’s voice filled Barna’s ears. The young lance commander was a consummate professional, polite and driven. Jason was a couple of years younger but the kid knew his stuff—even if he was a touch uptight. “We’d welcome any help you can spare.”

“We’ll see if we can’t put down at least one of those Clanners for you,” Fox’s flight leader replied. “But we’re about a thousand meters lower than I’d like. We’ve picked up a couple of tag-alongs and we’ve been trading speed and altitude for time. If they force us any lower we’re going to be picking trees out of our teeth. If you can spare a few seconds we’d appreciate it if you could throw some lead and lasers in our wake. If you can buy us even a minute to gain some altitude we’ll be in your debt.”

Shooting Phase
Revenant Patroller (Allied)
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Kit Fox C (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 10): rolled 11, hit Left Arm (2/7 armor remaining)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Kit Fox C (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 10): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Kit Fox C (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 10): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Kit Fox C (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 10): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires Light Machine Gun at Kit Fox C (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 12): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Light Machine Gun at Kit Fox C (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 12): rolled 4, miss!

Revenant Interceptor (Allied)
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Viper C (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 4 enemy movement = 10): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Viper C (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 4 enemy movement = 10): rolled 9, miss!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Viper C (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 4 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 10): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Viper C (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 4 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 10): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires Light Machine Gun at Viper C (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 4 enemy movement = 12): rolled 10, miss!
- Fires Light Machine Gun at Viper C (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 4 enemy movement = 12): rolled 5, miss!

Kit Fox C
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1545!
- Fires ER Large Laser at Revenant Patroller (4 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement = 7): rolled 7, hits Right Front Leg (1/11 armor remaining)!

Viper C
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 2344!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Revenant Interceptor (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 8, hit Left Rear Leg (4/11 armor remaining)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Revenant Interceptor (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 8, hit Right Front Leg (4/11 armor remaining)!

Player Status:
Demon Lance

Hawk Lance

Ally Status:

Opposing Force Status:

Mission Objective:
- Defend the Convoy (5/5)
- Assist Allied Forces
- Drive off the Clans (0/?)
- Bounty Collected: c-bills
- - Light:
- - Medium:
- - Heavy:
- - Assault:

Orders Due: Midnight Saturday!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 24, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Alright, looks like I'm gonna run to 1014 and light up the Star Commander since I didn't bring any thing to go bird hunting with.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Oh hey, enemy flyers, that makes things interesting!

I think I can see what purpose those two Revenants really serve right now, which is tying up that star of mechs long enough for you to make as much progress as possible against closer enemy forces. Are they fighting those Revenants in proper "Clan" style of one-on-ones at the moment?

And what are the chances that the two mechs coming up the road toward the players are going to be a distraction while the other three circle around or over that hill to hit the players from the side? Looks like the Locust are heading in that direction right now, it probably wouldn't be a good idea to let them make first contact with those guys.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Those are some tasty fighters, strafing with Hppcs and tarcomped ERPPCs will be fun to watch. The clan planes have identical loadouts so it doesn't matter as much, but which allied Striga is which?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dolash posted:

Oh hey, enemy flyers, that makes things interesting!

I think I can see what purpose those two Revenants really serve right now, which is tying up that star of mechs long enough for you to make as much progress as possible against closer enemy forces. Are they fighting those Revenants in proper "Clan" style of one-on-ones at the moment?

And what are the chances that the two mechs coming up the road toward the players are going to be a distraction while the other three circle around or over that hill to hit the players from the side? Looks like the Locust are heading in that direction right now, it probably wouldn't be a good idea to let them make first contact with those guys.

I would say we need some people on the hill, preferably jumpy guys who won't have any trouble moving around up there.

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!

dis astranagant posted:

I would say we need some people on the hill, preferably jumpy guys who won't have any trouble moving around up there.

Yup yup. I plan on hopping the Komodo in that direction a bit more for sure.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

dis astranagant posted:

You probably don't want to get all the way on top of the hill, keep some cover between you and the clanners for that +1 to be hit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

You probably don't want to get all the way on top of the hill, keep some cover between you and the clanners for that +1 to be hit!

Indeed. The hill hungers for bullets.

• Locked thread