Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

GhostStalker posted:

If you guys get a Clan prisoner and a semi-damaged Clan mech out of this, along with getting some Steiners out of the line of fire, you should receive some sort of commendation or something, provided you survive, of course. Loving the whole Khan Caesar of Clan Steiner thing too. Amusing fluff is always fun to read.

If they scrape this one out, the Representative to the Estates-General for Furillo (one Julian Silverberg) motions survivors be awarded the Commonwealth Star. Anyone who dies, of course, should get the Commonwealth Medal of Honor and be inducted in to the Knights of Donegal.

Cmon, "provided you survive?" you gotta reward dead guys more.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
You should totally demand that they surrender him and give you the mech. Also: you should totally fall down whenever possible if it seems they're playing by strict honor rules.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Claim that pilot and his 'mech as isorla. Even if you don't know the name, just say that he's lost and he's now yours. The Vipers will go for it, since you've clearly won.

Then get your Wolfhound pilot into the Clan 'Mech. :)

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

No, no, clearly the Wolfhound pilot is doing well right where he is. Get one of the tank crew into the Clan 'Mech.

This plan just keeps getting better. Good thing we're facing the Steel Vipers, though. Our newly-minted mechwarrior shouldn't have any qualms about donning this awesome neurohelmet:

Other opponents might present more, shall we say, challenging cultural differences:

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Mary Annette posted:

This plan just keeps getting better. Good thing we're facing the Steel Vipers, though. Our newly-minted mechwarrior shouldn't have any qualms about donning this awesome neurohelmet:

Other opponents might present more, shall we say, challenging cultural differences:

You know they wear more than the helmet...

Who knew the vipers were into surfing? Are the clans just the coolest guys ever?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
If the Cyclops can take its opponent down too you should demand that they both surrender and that Commander Dusk should take her Assault Star and withdraw out of shame for having deployed such insultingly poorly-trained troops to battle.

Then focus fire on the remaining medium star members because clearly they are unworthy of being fought like honorable soldiers.

The clanners apparently conflate "being a kickass warrior" and "having an honor code." If you give them the impression that you have an even stricter honor code than them, you may also give the impression that you are, accordingly, better warriors than them. Who knows? It might just confuse them enough that they'll back off for a few rounds and give the dropships more time to warm up.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

You should try to convince them that the "Clan Steiner" had mastered multi part transforming mech technology and so the Cyclops and the tank are really two parts of the same mech and that's why the tank shooting him wasn't cheating.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Spikey posted:

You should try to convince them that the "Clan Steiner" had mastered multi part transforming mech technology and so the Cyclops and the tank are really two parts of the same mech and that's why the tank shooting him wasn't cheating.

If I am remembering correctly, the Clans hate transforming mechs (*cough*LAMs*cough*)due to the caste systems they utilize. That action wouldn't be likely to get a favorable response.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

landcollector posted:

If I am remembering correctly, the Clans hate transforming mechs (*cough*LAMs*cough*)due to the caste systems they utilize. That action wouldn't be likely to get a favorable response.

This is true. Breaking zell makes Clanners angry. Breaking their socially, ethically, and genetically-reinforced caste system makes them sick. The Nova Cats made a point of melting down the last working LAM factory piece by piece as soon as they got the chance.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

If the Cyclops can take its opponent down too you should demand that they both surrender and that Commander Dusk should take her Assault Star and withdraw out of shame for having deployed such insultingly poorly-trained troops to battle.

Then focus fire on the remaining medium star members because clearly they are unworthy of being fought like honorable soldiers.

The clanners apparently conflate "being a kickass warrior" and "having an honor code." If you give them the impression that you have an even stricter honor code than them, you may also give the impression that you are, accordingly, better warriors than them. Who knows? It might just confuse them enough that they'll back off for a few rounds and give the dropships more time to warm up.

We gotta do something crazy and macho to make them think this was more than luck. If you're backed into a corner you come out as a total wildass. That's the 2nd Donegal motto.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Remove the fallen Nova's arm and declare victory in that duel. Then, challenge the Star Colonel: "In accordance with the Donegal Code of Honor, I will make you the same bid that was made to me: I will only use your mech's right arm!"

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Preechr posted:

Remove the fallen Nova's arm and declare victory in that duel. Then, challenge the Star Colonel: "In accordance with the Donegal Code of Honor, I will make you the same bid that was made to me: I will only use your mech's right arm!"

Yes. Tear the Nova's arm off and use it in a duel.

Gingoskophot
Jan 7, 2010

Tiny Head Catte

Preechr posted:

Do this. Oh my lord please do this.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Polaron posted:

I am getting vibes of the final episodes of Gundam: 8th MS Team here...
DO IT! :black101:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Then we have somebody (probably a Tanker, sorry!) intentionally get captured and then the Vipers try to interrogate him to understand the "Donegal Code of Honor." Then he just makes up a whole ton of poo poo. Like really weird specific poo poo.

"Khan Caesar ordered that we all keep a cat in the cockpit. If we look at and then it sneezes we are required to dump all ammo out of our machines."

"The Donegal Code of Honor states that if an enemy mech falls down you are to administer as many elbow drops as possible before they get up, so as to display our Macho Madness."

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Mar 29, 2011

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Polaron posted:

"You can leave, but your arm stays. It belongs to ME now." :black101: :black101: :black101:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

That arm has clan ER mediums, Ferro-fibrous armor, endo-steel and double heat sinks. I propose the Wolfhound run it to Caesar immediately to make sure it gets reverse engineered by those hard-working, innovative engineers at Defiance Industries, who never quit working for you.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Defiance Industries posted:

If they scrape this one out, the Representative to the Estates-General for Furillo (one Julian Silverberg) motions survivors be awarded the Commonwealth Star. Anyone who dies, of course, should get the Commonwealth Medal of Honor and be inducted in to the Knights of Donegal.

Cmon, "provided you survive?" you gotta reward dead guys more.

Totally forgot about that. By all means, honor the dead with greater commendations. The provided you survive bit was in reference to anyone in the lance surviving, since if you guys all bite it, then there's no one to bring the captured Clanner and his mech back to Lyran space.

Unless of course, Caesar Steiner comes riding out of the Dropship to attempt a pickup or something like that... Still, I doubt that the Steel Vipers would allow those two Dropships to just take off after taking out the Command Lance... Though I guess the Colonel did bid everyone except Caesar in defense. Guess that means he receives the opportunity for honorable withdrawal, or whatever the Clan term is...

EDIT: ^^^ Doubt that the Wolfhound would be able to get around the Star of Assaults guarding the Dropships. Though I guess they did say that they wouldn't interfere until Beta Star was taken out. Provided that the Command Star lets you pass, this would be awesome. Still, why settle for the arm, when you can have the entire mech, with all that awesome tech, after winning it from the clanner driving it? Defiance Industries could probably do a lot more with an entire mech to reverse engineer...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Mar 29, 2011

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

That arm has clan ER mediums, Ferro-fibrous armor, endo-steel and double heat sinks. I propose the Wolfhound run it to Caesar immediately to make sure it gets reverse engineered by those hard-working, innovative engineers at Defiance Industries, who never quit working for you.

Clearly, this is the most logical idea....if the dropships can even take off.

The question is, is this the most awesome one?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^: It is called Hegira, I believe.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
Turn the entire mission into an effort to recover that arm full of Clan tech. We need to get it to Cyberdyne Systems so they can start reverse engineering it!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

We gotta do something crazy and macho to make them think this was more than luck. If you're backed into a corner you come out as a total wildass. That's the 2nd Donegal motto.

Tell Dusk she can have her fallen Mechwarrior back if she can beat the IS' best pilot in a game of Battlemech Hacky-Sack, using said fallen Mechwarrior as the sack.

If she loses, she has to be the hacky-sack next round. Let's see how much her subordinates want to get her back in one piece.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Right, I'm going to let WarLocke deal with the Nova and lend my assistance to Angry_Ed behind.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Dolash posted:

I do like the idea of them trying to play along with the clan stuff as best as they can infer from a couple lines. "Uh... behold! We have humbled your... mighty warrior challenge in the name of Hou- clan Steiner! So he's out! We'll wait while you retrieve him. No, take as long as you need, send out the next guy when he's ready."

This is actually a good idea. If nothing else, it should confuse them for a turn or two. It might actually work to some extent because of the lack of recon as someone pointed out. Despite it spinning off into silly ideas, at its core this is a good plan.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
So, for everyone with the "TAKE CLANS PRISONER, REVERSE ENGINEER TECH" plan, you realize that the only reason that the nova fell down is because of really, really unlucky rolls, and that you guys are going to GET rolled, right? You still have the :gonk: ASSAULT STAR :gonk: to worry about.

(although the "get the tank crew into the clan mech and pilot it" plan is fantastic if it's actually feasible)

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Volmarias posted:

So, for everyone with the "TAKE CLANS PRISONER, REVERSE ENGINEER TECH" plan, you realize that the only reason that the nova fell down is because of really, really unlucky rolls, and that you guys are going to GET rolled, right? You still have the :gonk: ASSAULT STAR :gonk: to worry about.

(although the "get the tank crew into the clan mech and pilot it" plan is fantastic if it's actually feasible)

no its not

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Affi posted:

Maybe that is the best option.. maybe.. but the classy option is to remove his arm. PTN can really spin that poo poo in the flavourtext to make us fistpu.. gently caress what am I doing? Im supposed to cheer for the clans.

Okay shoot him in the cockpit with the AC20.

See I don't know gently caress all about Clan honor rules and poo poo. All I know is that little shitpile has 3 times my armament, and is on the ground and helpless. What does a good Steiner do in this situation? That's right, blow the gently caress out of him before he can get back up and become a threat again. :black101:

Polaron posted:

Y'know, the main reason this all might work is because the Wolf's Dragoons never showed up to do any recon at all of the Inner Sphere in this timeline.

In other words, this might work because the Clanners don't know any better.

gently caress me, now I'm tempted. Aimed AC20 shot to right arm followed by a (huuuuge) bluff?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Actually, if you go with the disarmament plan, take out both his arms. IIRC, he can go back on his bid. It will cost him honor, but not as much as getting his poo poo ruined by some freebirth yahoo riding a museum piece.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Magni posted:

Actually, if you go with the disarmament plan, take out both his arms. IIRC, he can go back on his bid. It will cost him honor, but not as much as getting his poo poo ruined by some freebirth yahoo riding a museum piece.

No he can't go back on his bid. His first and only bid was half his armaments. The Star Colonel just asked him to specify which half.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You can still go back up to your full available forces for a large loss of honour.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

You can still go back up to your full available forces for a large loss of honour.

Dude in question made a wishy-washy opening bid, got called out on it, got doubleteamed by a morbidly obese Hunchback and a *gasp* tank, of all things, tripped, and knocked himself out against his control console in the opening minutes.

I think we have reached the point of negative honor. :madmax:

Mary Annette fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 29, 2011

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
I like how every plan put forth in the last 100+ posts revolve around the assumption (hope?) that Clan warriors are complete morons.

Edit: Morons who resemble this guy.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

TildeATH posted:

I like how every plan put forth in the last 100+ posts revolve around the assumption (hope?) that Clan warriors are complete morons.

Edit: Morons who resemble this guy.

The bluff isn't going to work BUT

1. Killing the Not-Nova pilot with a headshot will bring the assault star crashing down on us.

2. Destroying the Not-Nova mech with combined fire just blasting it apart MIGHT piss the Steel Vipers off.

3. Shooting off the arm of the Not-Nova is awesome, the clanners will find it funny that he got schooled by freebirths, (he's obviously not very popular) and will take the nova cat out of the fight.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

TildeATH posted:

Did you see how much firepower that thing pumped out in a single half-salvo?

Hoping they are morons is an entirely reasonable strategy

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

UberJew posted:

Did you see how much firepower that thing pumped out in a single half-salvo?

Hoping they are morons is an entirely reasonable strategy

Mostly because the entire point of this exercise is that in a remotely "even" fight with the Clan the IS is gonna get murdered. Stupid chances are better than no chances.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Obviously by proving yourselves as decent warriors the clanners will treat you with more respect. More respect means less weapons being bid away.

The other mechs have a lot of weapons.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Affi posted:

3. Shooting off the arm of the Not-Nova is awesome, the clanners will find it funny that he got schooled by freebirths, (he's obviously not very popular) and will take the nova cat out of the fight.

As I have said before, this will probably work. Also, as you pointed out, that mechwarrior does not seems to be particularly popular: it is pretty obvious that the Steel Vipers CO did not think much of his bravado, so it is very likely that cutting the arm off will work in our favor. ;)

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KnoxZone posted:

Obviously by proving yourselves as decent warriors the clanners will treat you with more respect. More respect means less weapons being bid away.

The other mechs have a lot of weapons.

At the same time if we prove ourselves as uncouth barbarians they will treat us with less respect and less respect means all weapons being used.

Against one target.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Angry_Ed posted:

At the same time if we prove ourselves as uncouth barbarians they will treat us with less respect and less respect means all weapons being used.

Against one target.

Or them just shooting the PCs dead and going home for beers early. It's really a matter of finessing some blindly religious (the honor thing is a religion, you know it), insanely armed people enough that they give us a chance at victory, but not so much that they just shoot us and go home.

Sort of like running as a democrat in rural Georgia.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
Guys... You're not thinking this through....
Survive 20 turns.
Duel is not over until he is defeated you know. He is only unconscious now. What if you place yourself near him and just wait 5 turns for him to wake up, and after he stands up just shoot him in the back?

Edit: Or wait, does he wake up with a 3+ roll?
In that case I guess it would be better to :mmmhmm: disarm him.

Pinguliten fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 29, 2011

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Does PTN need to talk a bit about how much he's willing to let fluffy stuff override the rules?

From a plot standpoint there's no way the pilots will know that the unconsious guy will wake up in 'one turn'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Alchenar posted:

From a plot standpoint there's no way the pilots will know that the unconsious guy will wake up in 'one turn'.

From a fluff standpoint there's no way the pilots will even know that the guy is unconscious. Just clumsy.

• Locked thread