Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: Ahahaha, drat, I was not expecting that!

You are so terrible :f5:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

PoptartsNinja posted:

Fanfiction Contest!
Justify why recovering one dude's (ten) giftake samples was so important that you immediately jumped from Star Commander (with Bloodname) to Khan.

Aboard the SLDF WarShip McKenna's Pride
Zenith Jump Point, Otho
Benjamin Military District
Draconis Combine
11 May 2784

The doctor made an oft-practiced sound of mild concern. "General, I don't like the look of these lesions on your scalp. Lord knows you must have been exposed to any number of carcinogens on campaign. I'd like to take a biopsy and send the samples off to an on-planet facility for analysis as a precaution."

General Aleksandr Kerensky paid little attention, his mind firmly fixed on the coming rendezvous with his men and women at New Samarkand. Doctors were always fussing over something, and he felt perfectly fine. Physically, anyway. "Whatever you need, Doc. Make it quick."

HQ, ComStar 394th Division
Glen Shadix, Otho
Benjamin Military District
Draconis Combine
19 February 3041

"Adept, we have ten pallets at the spaceport marked 'Perishable, Medical Supplies,' but where do you want them shipped, bec...."

Adept-XXIV Kelso didn't bother to look up from his desk. Unsurprisingly, the ComGuard's first deployment was not without its logistical challenges. "Acolyte, surely you can find something more profitable to do with your time than provoke me with stupid questions? Medical supplies to the medical bay, fool. Now, get back to the spaceport and get on with your work, or I'll arrange an appointment for you with Precentor-Omicron O'Meaghan."

"B-but, Adept, the cases are banded and wrapped with SLDF markings! They didn't come off the DropShip from Terra. I think they might have been in cold storage here a l-long time."

Kelso sighed and steepled his fingers. "Ah. A curiosity. The DCMS have been good enough to donate some warehouses to us. In a swamp. That seems an appropriate place to dispose of these relics, don't you think? Do be sure to file the appropriate documentation by HPG; perhaps the First Circuit will someday wish to tour our wetlands medical museum."

Aboard the WarShip Exposition
Wolf Clan Occupation Zone
2 February 3052

"Star Commander Ward. Stand at ease. A great opportunity for honor has arisen, perhaps so great as to wipe out the stain of your dezgra behavior with the thermobaric bomb. You are eager to do so, quiaff?"

"Aff, House Leader! Will it be possible to share the glory with my Star on this occasion? They are deserving of honor as well, and-"

"I am surprised, Star Commander! Your habit of bidding only yourself against even the most well-defended targets has come to be regarded as your trademark, perhaps matched only by your barbaric waste of ammunition! In any event, no, Star Commander, this is an operation so sensitive and critical to the future of Clan Wolf that we can risk neither failure, nor discovery. As such, you will be attacking alone."

House Leader Ward activated the holotank, which showed a slice of space at first unfamiliar to the Star Commander.

"House Leader, are we to assist the Smoke Jaguars in their invasion, quineg?"

"Neg, Star Commander. We must seize our rightful prize out from under their honorless noses." The holotank zoomed in on a planet deep in the Combine.

"Intelligence gleaned from the databases of Jerome Blake's children led to a desperate Watch raid to seize the target you must extract. Those elite operatives acquired the cargo, but were intercepted by what the barbarians call a "Level One," no doubt some top-level defensive unit, and were wiped out. Happily, their identities were not discovered, but the base will be on alert. It is a genetic sample of the utmost importance to Clan Wolf and its legacy that is the object of your raid, but there will be no batchall or Trial, lest its importance to us become obvious.

"Your DropShip leaves immediately, Star Commander. The rewards for victory will be beyond your imaginings, but if you fail, death will not save your genetic heritage from my wrath. Good luck!"

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
Lol, "top-level defensive unit".

Arglebargle III posted:

:monocle: I need to drop by tradgames more often. Would be interested to see if they have any new ideas.
Nah, it's pretty much the same old game with fancier peripherals.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 30, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I'm probably not going to get this done before I have to leave for work. I was afraid of that. :(

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm probably not going to get this done before I have to leave for work. I was afraid of that. :(

Just do everything except the fluff piece and the mech status part now! You can't leave us in such suspense.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

KnoxZone posted:

Just do everything except the fluff piece and the mech status part now! You can't leave us in such suspense.

yes you can, yes you can! Anticipation is the best part~

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mukaikubo posted:

yes you can, yes you can! Anticipation is the best part~

Quiet you!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

PoptartsNinja posted:

Commence 16 hours of :f5:

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

Volmarias posted:

Commence 16 hours of :f5:

Only 8 hours for me! Going to bed. :D
At least there is some positive things living in CET.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Pinguliten posted:

Only 8 hours for me! Going to bed. :D
At least there is some positive things living in CET.

poo poo,I'm not going to bed tonight, am I?
First two AP English essays, and now this. But at least I have no excuse to blow them off.

Also: drat, I can actually see this game (BattleTech for Gennesis/SNES) being turned from a total waste of matter and energy into a competant collection of short stories. Bravo.

elitebuster fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 30, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Why do you hurt us?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Defiance Industries posted:

Why do you hurt us?

PoptartsNinja, like the Clans, only hurts us because he loves us.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Dammit, now I'm gonna be :f5:'ing this thread like crazy until I have to leave for class and take a midterm... :argh:

Where do you live anyway, PTN? Probably someone on the West Coast, if the time differentials are right... You work an afternoon shift or something?

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

TOP SECRET LEAKED GREY DEATH LEGION FOOTAGE
MYSTERIOUS 'CLANS' INVADE PERIPHERY

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

LeschNyhan posted:

now we need to see a trial of grievence in between this and the pony-mech.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I was going to try my hand at this one but...

gently caress it, that's a Wolf Spider.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

LeschNyhan posted:

That is a pretty good picture. One question: what weapon is that on the mech's right special mount, in the place of the usual missile rack? An artillery cannon?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

landcollector posted:

That is a pretty good picture. One question: what weapon is that on the mech's right special mount, in the place of the usual missile rack? An artillery cannon?

It's the giant emergency reserve coca-cola bottle. :pseudo:

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

LeschNyhan posted:

A super awesome Zentraedi Commander Pod with spider tats

I wish I was less lazy and had artistic skill so that I could color this. I want this in color so badly.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Those are clearly a pair of long cannons, you can see one has a square hole labeled ejection port. The left side one is mostly obscured by smoke.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Those are clearly a pair of long cannons, you can see one has a square hole labeled ejection port. The left side one is mostly obscured by smoke.

The left side one is actually a launching missile. I thought that was more clear, but oops. Some of the detail looks like it got dropped off the scanner -- I did it 96dpi to avoid getting probated. Also for some reason the scanner at the library doesn't do .pngs. The right is the 'Marauder-esque' AC described by PTN.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

LeschNyhan posted:

The left side one is actually a launching missile. I thought that was more clear, but oops. Some of the detail looks like it got dropped off the scanner -- I did it 96dpi to avoid getting probated. Also for some reason the scanner at the library doesn't do .pngs. The right is the 'Marauder-esque' AC described by PTN.

The missile launcher is actually pretty clear, so I wouldn't worry about that.

The cannon itself I think is fairly obvious it's some sort of artillery piece, it just looks... out of place, I guess? It's not that it looks incomprehensible, it's just not what most people are used to seeing on the shoulders of a mech. I think that's mostly why there were questions. More for clarification than an inability to see the general idea.

I just liked the idea of having a few hundred gallons of coke on tap for those extended duration missions. :saddowns:

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

Zaodai posted:

The cannon itself I think is fairly obvious it's some sort of artillery piece, it just looks... out of place, I guess? It's not that it looks incomprehensible, it's just not what most people are used to seeing on the shoulders of a mech. I think that's mostly why there were questions. More for clarification than an inability to see the general idea.

I just liked the idea of having a few hundred gallons of coke on tap for those extended duration missions. :saddowns:

Why do you care? Your precious space Chinamen don't drink coke, by order of Her Royal Crazyness.:colbert:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

elitebuster posted:

Why do you care? Your precious space Chinamen don't drink coke, by order of Her Royal Crazyness.:colbert:

Pff, the Chinese love coke. It's the one in the red bottle. :china:

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

Zaodai posted:

Pff, the Chinese love coke. It's the one in the red bottle. :china:

Cappellans like green. They drink sprite.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

elitebuster posted:

Cappellans like green. They drink sprite.

Final post of this derail:

Sprite is Coke product. YOU RUSE! *flees*

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

PoptartsNinja posted:

:ohdear: The anticipation of whether or not operation Con the Clans works is really killing me!

With the contests, I have no talents that really lend themselves to winning any of the challenges, and the two entries we've got for the current one seem pretty cool.
I hope somebody chooses to enter the grand melee as a Locust on turn ten. Cute little mechs versus the big bad clans is always funny. :D

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

SageNytell posted:

:ohdear: The anticipation of whether or not operation Con the Clans works is really killing me!

With the contests, I have no talents that really lend themselves to winning any of the challenges, and the two entries we've got for the current one seem pretty cool.
I hope somebody chooses to enter the grand melee as a Locust on turn ten. Cute little mechs versus the big bad clans is always funny. :D

watch, someone does that, and he gets an alpha strike headshot on the Clan commander, who miraculously fails a pilot roll and gets knocked unconscious.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

If it weren't for the fact that PTN isn't using the Stackpole rule, I would bet on some sort of hilarious reactor chain reaction meltdown taking out half the map and most of the combatants at some point.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Zaodai posted:

Ah, well then. Old-skool Unseen Marauder autocannons forever: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Marauder

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I just watched the first episode of the cartoon....It's like someone took the animater from Captain Planet and told him to make a retarded gundam ripoff. "Information is Ammunition!"

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
What made Stackpole so terrible? The books Talion: Revenant and Once a Hero were great. I've heard he was good in the Star Wars books. Did he just phone it in or subvert the genre or betray readers in some way?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Zaodai posted:

Sprite is Coke product. YOU RUSE! *flees*

Zaodai you should know that patriotic speakers of the common language don't have trouble with l and r. Only Korean barbarians and Japanese devils mix those up.

It's those drat Yankee nasal vowels, compound consonants and dental fricatives that confuse the hardworking Chinese proletarian. :china:

(Your grammar was perfectly Chinese though!)

Also, considering this game is from the '80s, those pilots are probably carrying kilos of coke, not gallons.

(Fun fact: Chinese and Japanese are in totally different language groups. They don't make the same mistakes in English.)

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 31, 2011

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Arglebargle III posted:

Zaodai you should know that patriotic speakers of the common language don't have trouble with l and r. Only Korean barbarians and Japanese devils mix those up.

It's those drat Yankee nasal vowels, compound consonants and dental fricatives that confuse the hardworking Chinese proletarian. :china:

(Your grammar was perfectly Chinese though!)

Also, considering this game is from the '80s, those pilots are probably carrying kilos of coke, not gallons.

(Fun fact: Chinese and Japanese are in totally different language groups. They don't make the same mistakes in English.)

The (apparently inconsistent, give that I left it as an l in "flees") transposition of l's and r's is a distinction of the Space Chinese. We are far more advanced than the typical Chinamen you are used to conversing with. :colbert:

Don't even get me started on how we conduct our fire drills.

[EDIT] Yes, I am actually aware that the Chinese and Japanese are different groups of people, with different languages and customs and the like. However, being fake Chinese, I tend to take my racist stereotypes from the various branches of generic "asian" culture for the sake of humor. Think of it like Dr. Wang from Minoriteam.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Mar 31, 2011

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Bozart posted:

What made Stackpole so terrible? The books Talion: Revenant and Once a Hero were great. I've heard he was good in the Star Wars books. Did he just phone it in or subvert the genre or betray readers in some way?

From what has been explained to me he likes to have insanely big explosions, especially involving a mech's fusion reactor. I've been told nothing like this can happen in the game. Stackpole also suffers from self-insert Marysue syndrom.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Trast posted:

From what has been explained to me he likes to have insanely big explosions, especially involving a mech's fusion reactor. I've been told nothing like this can happen in the game. Stackpole also suffers from self-insert Marysue syndrom.

To be fair, that can be done well. He's pulled it off before, and every author probably has a favorite character and awesome things tend to occur around favorites. It's the way of things.

... The issue was, his chosen Mary Sues (Phelan Kell, Kai Allard-Liao) were pretty much the same person, except Phelan was more outgoing and Kai was more emo. Given the two of them, side by side (note: they only ever met once), their Mary Sue nature became very obvious.

Stackpole wasn't the reason most of the Battletech novels were full of Mary Sues (Jeremiah Rose, Loren Jaffray, Cassie Suthorn kinda qualifies, everyone with 'Carlysle' in their name, Boba Fett the Bounty Hunter, Brian Cameron, Jamie Wolf, Patrick Kell, Sun-Tzu Liao, etc, etc.), but his (Kai-Allard Liao, Phelan Kell) are the best known because they were the face of the Clan Invasion.

Edit: I am home, update soon!

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

PoptartsNinja posted:

Video Contest!
Play through mission five with a PPC, Large Laser, and Missiles... and immediately blow your arm off by overcharging the PPC. Beat the mission with only lasers and missiles.
I did think of overdubbing Far Country, but even I'm not that cruel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjbn5zpwBYo - I took the liberty of piloting an Uller for this delectable mission 5 challenge (as above)

Also:
<< the map I made to plan my route

Things I forgot to mention in my terrible after-the-fact commentary:

1) All the weapons still shoot out of the arm that has already been blown off via PPC overcharge.

2) Does the swamp actually help cool down your yellow damage faster, did the snow level also offer something like this (I thought it might since inferno SRMs didn't seem to be quite as good when I tried them out there)? I would check, but let's face it: why? (also, how?)

3) I really couldn't do this even after 3 attempts in the Timber Wolf, at least, not without dying. I think with a few more tries I could've managed it, but it was always gonna be close.

4) Also, thanks everyone for all the kind things you said about my terrible terrible videos (especially bullet ballet) - given this whole affair was pretty much a dive in at the deep end/learn as you go experience, I'm glad at least something good came out of it! (All praise the tech support fort)

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Bozart posted:

The simple answer is: they're not actually particularly terrible. They're licensed fiction, so they never quite make it to "great reads I'd recommend to anyone that reads SF", but of the stable of Battletech authors I'd describe him as one of the best, if not just outright the best. His original fiction is, of course, better, but that's par for the course.

But yes, he does have a fondness for fusion reactor explosions that's rather silly.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Vipers of Somerset: Tactical Update 5

Movement Phase
Random Ace Beta: B5 Unknown Heavy 3!
Random Ace Gamma: G2 Unknown Assault 2!
B3 Unknown Heavy 1 walks to 1911!

Combat Phase:
L* Cyclops fires Autocannon/20 at B2 Thunderchild (4 base + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range - 4 immobile target - 2 target prone in adjacent hex = 0): rolled 7, hit! Rolled 7, hit target location! Hit right arm (0/16 armor, 0/8 structure remains)! Damage transfers to right torso (12/18 armor remains)! Limb blown off!
L* Cyclops gains 9 heat, sinks 12! Now at Overheat 0!

L2 Zeus attempts to start a fire in hex 1710 with Large Laser (4 base + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 range - 4 immobile target = 2): rolled 8, hits! Needs 7+ to start a fire, rolled 7! Fire started!
L2 Zeus attempts to start a fire in hex 1710 with Medium Laser (4 base + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 range - 4 immobile target = 2): rolled 9, hits! Needs 7+ to start a fire, rolled 3! No fire started!
L2 Zeus gains 11 heat, sinks 17! Now at Overheat 0!

L3 Banshee fires Autocannon/10 at B1 Battle Cobra (4 base + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 0 range = 6): rolled 7, hit right arm (2/12 armor remains)!
L3 Banshee fires Medium Laser at B1 Battle Cobra (4 base + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 0 range = 6): rolled 6, hit left torso (0/14 armor, 9/10 structure remains)! Critical chance!
L3 Banshee fires Medium Laser at B1 Battle Cobra (4 base + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 0 range = 6): rolled 5, miss!
L3 Banshee fires Medium Laser at B1 Battle Cobra (4 base + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 0 range = 6): rolled 6, hit right torso (9/14 armor remains)!
L3 Banshee fires Medium Laser at B1 Battle Cobra (4 base + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 0 range = 6): rolled 12, hit right torso (4/14 armor remains)!
L3 Banshee fires Small Laser at B1 Battle Cobra (4 base + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 range = 8): rolled 7, miss!
L3 Banshee fires Small Laser at B1 Battle Cobra (4 base + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 range = 8): rolled 8, hit left arm (9/12 armor remains)!
L3 Banshee fires SRM 6 at B1 Battle Cobra (4 base + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 0 range = 6): rolled 9, 4 missiles hit right arm (0/12 armor remains), center torso (17/19 armor remains), center torso (15/19 armor remains), right leg (16/18 armor remains)!
L3 Banshee gains 14 heat, sinks 21! Now at Overheat 0!

L4 Wolfhound holds fire!
L4 Wolfhound gains 1 heat, sinks 10! Now at Overheat 0!

T1 Rommel Tank fires Autocannon/20 at B1 Battle Cobra (4 base + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 0 range = 6): rolled 6, hit center torso (0/19 armor, 7/12 structure remains)! Critical chance!
T1 Rommel Tank fires LRM 5 at B1 Battle Cobra (4 base + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 0 range + 3 minimum range = 9): rolled 9, 3 missiles hit center torso (4/12 structure remains)! Critical chance!
T1 Rommel Tank fires Small Laser at B1 Battle Cobra (4 base + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 4 range = 10): rolled 8, miss!

B1 Battle Cobra fires Large Pulse Laser at L3 Banshee (3 base + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range - 2 Pulse Laser = 2): rolled 7, hit center torso (30/40 armor remains)!
B1 Battle Cobra fires Large Pulse Laser at L3 Banshee (3 base + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range - 2 Pulse Laser = 2): rolled 7, hit left torso (10/30 armor remains)!
B1 Battle Cobra fires Small Pulse Laser at L3 Banshee (3 base + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 range - 2 Pulse Laser = 4): rolled 5, hit left torso (7/30 armor remains)!
B1 Battle Cobra fires Small Pulse Laser at L3 Banshee (3 base + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 range - 2 Pulse Laser = 4): rolled 7, hit right arm (8/21 armor remains)!
B1 Battle Cobra fires Small Pulse Laser at L3 Banshee (3 base + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 range - 2 Pulse Laser = 4): rolled 10, hit right torso (4/30 armor remains)!
B1 Battle Cobra fires Small Pulse Laser at L3 Banshee (3 base + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 range - 2 Pulse Laser = 4): rolled 9, hit left leg (23/26 armor remains)!
B1 Battle Cobra gains 29 heat, sinks 26! Now at overheat 3!

B2 Thunderchild gains 0 heat, sinks 34! Now at overheat 0!

End Phase
Friendly Fighter Flyover (Turn 3/5)

L3 Banshee must make a piloting check or fall (5 base + 1 massive damage + 0 hexes moved = 6): rolled 2, fails!
L3 Banshee suffers damage to rear left torso (5/10 armor remains), right arm (4/21 armor remains)!
L3 Banshee must make a piloting check to avoid pilot damage (5 base + 1 massive damage + 0 hexes moved + 1 trying to avoid pilot damage = 7): rolled 9, succeeds!

B1 Battle Cobra critical chance in left torso! No critical sustained!

B1 Battle Cobra critical chance in center torso! 2 critical hits sustained!
Gyro hit!
Engine hit!

B1 Battle Cobra critical chance in center torso! 1 critical hit sustained!
Gyro destroyed! ‘Mech crippled!

B1 Battle Cobra must make a piloting check or fall (4 base + 1 massive damage + 1 hexes moved = 6): automatic failure, gyro destroyed!
B1 Battle Cobra suffers damage to right leg (12/18 armor remains)!
B1 Battle Cobra must make a piloting check to avoid pilot damage (4 base + 1 massive damage + 1 hexes moved + 1 trying to avoid pilot damage = 7): rolled 10, succeeds!

B2 Thunderchild must make a 3+ consciousness test: rolled 4, succeeds!

Physical Combat Phase:

End Phase:
B3 Unknown Heavy 1 activates Clan Neural Implants (Gunnery)!

Fire needs 11+ to spread to 1609 (60 degrees from downwind), rolled 10, fire fails to spread!
Fire needs 11+ to spread to 1510 (60 degrees from downwind), rolled 6, fire fails to spread!

“And that,” the Colonel finished as his autocannon severed the fallen Thunderchild’s right arm, “is why they call me the architect. Star Colonel Dusk,” he continued, broadcasting in the open. “I have beaten your warrior on his terms—”

“His terms were foolish,” a male Clanner cut in as his large, birdlike ‘Mech cleared the corner of the spaceport’s main building. It had a pair of boxy missile-pods on each shoulder, and the arms were short and stubby—it vaguely reminded her of a strutting chicken, but those arms ended in the barrels of PPCs. The ‘Mech moved with a smooth grace she’d seldom seen from a retrograde—most ‘Mechs built like the Marauder had a bounding, jarring gait that threw a ‘mechwarrior’s aim, it took real skill to make one graceful—yet even at a running pace, the Clanner kept his ‘Mech’s torso steady. “Mechwarrior Knox’s shame is evident—will you claim him, or grant him Hegira?”

Sam’s mind whirled, both at the new design—which her ‘Mech once again tried to call both an Archer and a Marauder, seemed to possess a frightening array of firepower; yet the ‘Mechwarrior’s words? Claim a downed ‘Mechwarrior, or grant him—could Hegira be some sort of ritual suicide, like the Kurita practiced? Something to atone for his failure? She shuddered—the Clanners had said anyone not ‘bid’ to the combat would be granted Hegira, did that mean they wanted Colonel Steiner to—

“That depends on what Hay-Grah is,” the Colonel coached his answer, not committing to it.

“’Mechwarrior Knox,” the new Clanner taunted, “it seems even the Inner Sphere does not want the ‘best’ warrior of a failed Sibko, quiaff? Withdraw from the battlefield in disgrace. With luck, I will finally be able to transfer you to Zeta Galaxy.”

“Aff, Star Commander,” ‘Mechwarrior Knox agreed, his voice bitter. “I make no excuses for my failure. If the Colonel will permit me to withdraw, I shall do so.”

The big ‘Mech loomed behind the tiny Thunderchild, its posture evoking menace. “Colonel Rossi,” the Clanner began, “I am Star Commander Winter Breen, of Clan Steel Viper. I have served my clan with distinction for five years and have participated in several battles against the Smoke Jaguars and Ice Hellions. I have been present for all of our victories over Clan Jade Falcon, our most hated foe, for the right to invade the Inner Sphere.”

“Long-winded, isn’t he?” Sgt. Hammer commented quietly over the regimental frequency. Samantha quickly muted her, before the transmission was rebroadcast to every 2nd Donegal unit in range, then smiled. It was an accurate description.

“I am surprised to encounter so honorable a foe—had I known we faced a whole lance of worthy opponents, I would not have allowed your other warriors to grow so bored. I challenge you and the bored ‘Mechwarrior in the assault-weight ‘Mech beside you. I shall show you both what it means to be a Steel Viper, then claim you as my bondsmen once I have defeated you.”

Enemy Forces:
B2 Unknown Medium 2: Prone!
B3 Unknown Heavy 1: Runs 5 to 1410!
B4 Unknown Heavy 2: Walks 6 to 0616!
B5 Unknown Heavy 3: Waiting to Move!
G1 Unknown Assault 1: Remains Stationary!
G2 Unknown Assault 2: Waiting to Move!
G3 Unknown Assault 3: Remains Stationary!
G4 Unknown Assault 4: Remains Stationary!
G5 Unknown Assault 5: Remains Stationary!

Mission Objectives
Defeat Beta Star! (Partial Victory)
Survive! (4/20 Turns) (Total Victory)

Ace Note: Previous turn's movement will be in black, current turn's movement will be in green! Map Note: A height 1 tunnel extends from hex 0912 to 1213. It is large enough to accommodate the Rommel, but not large enough for a Battlemech. Due to heat concerns, the Rommel may not fire its weapons while within the tunnel.
Special Guest Note: Tank front arc is the triangle.

CP-10-Z Cyclops
Weight: 90 tons (Assault)
HD A(S): 9/9 (3/3)
LT A(S): 13/20 (19/19)
LT R A(S): 8/8
CT A(S): 23/30 (29/29)
CT R A(S): 11/11
RT A(S): 6/20 (19/19)
RT R A(S): 8/8
LA A(S): 0/10 (11/15)
RA A(S): 10/10 (15/15)
LL A(S): 17/17 (19/19)
RL A(S): 17/17 (19/19)
Heat: 0/30
Overheat Penalty: None
Heat Sinks: 12
Movement: 4/6/0
Mechwarrior: Pilot 5, Gunnery 4
Mechwarrior Name: Colonel Aldo Rossi
Mechwarrior Player: WarLocke
Mechwarrior Status: OK!
Armament:
Autocannon 20 – RT (Heat: 8, Ammo: 18, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
LRM 10 – LT (Heat: 4, Ammo: 11, Range: (L:21 M:14 S:7 Min:6), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – RA (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – LA (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: DESTROYED!)
SRM 4 – CT (Heat: 3, Ammo: 25, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Critical Damage: None!
Notes: 2 hands

ZEU-6S Zeus
Weight: 80 tons (Assault)
LT A(S): 18/18 (17/17)
LT R A(S): 6/6
CT A(S): 26/26 (25/25)
CT R A(S): 9/9
RT A(S): 18/18 (17/17)
RT R A(S): 6/6
LA A(S): 22/22 (13/13)
RA A(S): 22/22 (13/13)
LL A(S): 24/24 (17/17)
RL A(S): 24/24 (17/17)
Heat Sinks: 17
Movement: 4/6/0
Mechwarrior Name: Leutnant Samantha Clover
Mechwarrior Player: Mukaikubo
Armament:
Large Laser – LT (Heat: 8, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5), Status: OK!)
LRM 15 – RA (Heat: 5, Ammo: 7, Range: (L:21 M:14 S:7 Min:6), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser (REAR) – LT(R) (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – CT (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Autocannon/5 – LA (Heat: 1, Ammo: 20, Range: (L: M: S: Min:), Status: OK!)
Notes: No hands

BNC-3S Banshee
Weight: 95 tons (Assault)
LT A(S): 4/30 (20/20)
LT R A(S): 5/10
CT A(S): 30/40 (30/30)
CT R A(S): 17/17
RT A(S): 20/30 (20/20)
RT R A(S): 10/10
LA A(S): 11/21 (16/16)
RA A(S): 4/21 (16/16)
LL A(S): 23/26 (20/20)
RL A(S): 26/26 (20/20)
Heat Sinks: 21
Movement: 3/5/0
Mechwarrior Name: Staff Sergeant Major Gerhart von Kempner
Mechwarrior Player: Angry_Ed
Armament:
Autocannon/10 – LT (Heat: 3, Ammo: 18, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5), Status: OK!)
PPC – RT (Heat: 10, Range: (L:18 M:12 S:6 Min:3), Status: OK!)
PPC – LA (Heat: 10, Range: (L:18 M:12 S:6 Min:3), Status: OK!)
SRM 6 – RT (Heat: 4, Ammo: 15, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – RT (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Small Laser – HD (Heat: 1, Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1), Status: OK!)
Small Laser – CT (Heat: 1, Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1), Status: OK!)
Notes: 1 hand

WLF-1 Wolfhound
Weight: 35 tons (Light)
LT A(S): 11/11 (8/8)
LT R A(S): 5/5
CT A(S): 16/16 (11/11)
CT R A(S): 6/6
RT A(S): 11/11 (8/8)
RT R A(S): 5/5
LA A(S): 12/12 (6/6)
RA A(S): 12/12 (6/6)
LL A(S): 16/16 (8/8)
RL A(S): 16/16 (8/8)
Heat Sinks: 10
Movement: 6/9/0
Mechwarrior: Pilot 3, Gunnery 2
Mechwarrior Name: Corporal Richard Hunter
Mechwarrior Player: Spencerb
Armament:
Large Laser – RA (Heat: 8, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – CT (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – LT (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser (REAR) – CT(R) (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Notes: 1 hand

Rommel Tank:
Weight: 65 tons (Heavy)
Front A(S): 40/40 (7/7)
Left A(S): 39/39 (7/7)
Right A(S): 39/39 (7/7)
Turret A(S): 40/40 (7/7)
Rear A(S): 26/26 (7/7)
Movement: 4/6 Tracked
Crew: Driving 5, Gunnery 4
Tank Crew Twelve: Sergeant Bonnie Hammer, Private Sarah Montesquieu, PFC John Blucher
Player: Raverrn
Motive System Damage: None!
Armament:
Autocannon/20 – Turret (Ammo: 20, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
LRM 5 – Turret (Ammo: 24, Range: (L:21 M:14 S:7 Min:6), Status: OK!)
Small Laser – Front (Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1), Status: OK!)
Notes:

Enemy Status
Beta Star
B1 Battle Cobra
Critical Damage: Destroyed!
Notes: Counts as rough terrain!

B2 Thunderchild
Tonnage: 50
Target: None
Critical Damage: Right Arm Destroyed!
Pilot Name: Mechwarrior Knox (severe concussion [3+ consciousness])
Pilot: Piloting 4, Gunnery 3
Overheat Penalty: None!
Armament: Unknown
Notes: Equipped with ECM, becomes 'hidden' when out of Line of Sight!

B3 Unknown Heavy 1
Tonnage: 60
Target: L* CP-10-Z Cyclops, L2 Zeus
Pilot Name: Star Commander Winter Breen
Pilot: Piloting 4, Gunnery 3(2)
Notes:

B4 Unknown Heavy 2
Tonnage: 65
Target:
Pilot Name: ???
Notes:

B5 Unknown Heavy 3
Tonnage: 65
Target:
Notes: Equipped with ECM, becomes 'hidden' when out of Line of Sight!

Gamma Star
G1 Unknown Assault
Tonnage: 80
Target: None Possible!
Pilot: Piloting 2, Gunnery 1
Notes:

G2 Unknown Assault
Tonnage: 80
Notes:

G3 Unknown Assault
Tonnage: 85
Notes:

G4 Unknown Assault
Tonnage: 90
Notes:

G5 Unknown Assault
Tonnage: 95
Pilot Name: Star Colonel Dusk
Notes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

LeschNyhan posted:

We have a winner! LeschNyhan, the prize is yours--make your bid wisely!

• Locked thread