Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Longinus00 posted:

It won't be a hollander for the same reason a T90 wouldn't show up if this was a WW2 war game.

Oh my God, are you saying that the 120mm smoothbore was invented by the Atlanteans and lost due to the decline of society except for a supply kept by a cult of telecom technicians?! I knew it!

Yeah, PTN has made it pretty clear that LosTech won't be showing up until ComStar starts "handing it out like candy". Given that this is mission numero uno, I don't expect those kind of surprises, but I wouldn't be surprised if a damaged Warhammer or aerospace strike showed up here and there. The good thing about PTN--at least, based on his STO LP--is that he addresses the cool stuff but doesn't take the whole universe off into one-off land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Longinus00 posted:

It won't be a hollander for the same reason a T90 wouldn't show up if this was a WW2 war game.

*Rechecks wiki page on Hollander*

*Notices setting date in source material at bottom of page*

*Rechecks first page of thread*

*Notices specified date*

*Has egg on face*

*Is sheepish*

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
So it's basically fighting a bunch of wannabe samurai right?
Can you challenge their minimum range challenged Dragon to a duel with one of the close range murdermachines? Or atleast keep that card in the options if the Dragon looks it's becoming an issue?

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

TildeATH posted:

Oh my God, are you saying that the 120mm smoothbore was invented by the Atlanteans and lost due to the decline of society except for a supply kept by a cult of telecom technicians?! I knew it!

Yeah, PTN has made it pretty clear that LosTech won't be showing up until ComStar starts "handing it out like candy". Given that this is mission numero uno, I don't expect those kind of surprises, but I wouldn't be surprised if a damaged Warhammer or aerospace strike showed up here and there. The good thing about PTN--at least, based on his STO LP--is that he addresses the cool stuff but doesn't take the whole universe off into one-off land.

It's not just the lostech problem. The hollander was designed after 3050. Having a bushwhacker show up would be a similar problem.

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 24, 2011

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

DatonKallandor posted:

So it's basically fighting a bunch of wannabe samurai right?
Can you challenge their minimum range challenged Dragon to a duel with one of the close range murdermachines? Or atleast keep that card in the options if the Dragon looks it's becoming an issue?

Only if you speak perfect Japanese, like every Mary Sue that had to face a Kurita villain.

And I mean every last mother-loving one of 'em. Rosetta Stone Japanese must have also been saved by ComStar. I think it'd be funny if everyone spoke in perfect drunken Scottish whenever they faced off against a Federated Suns ace.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
If PTN throws an aerospace strike on us in this mission, I will laugh so hard.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Mukaikubo posted:

If PTN throws an aerospace strike on us in this mission, I will laugh so hard.

That Jenner may be able to jump high enough to get its SRMs in range...

I hope we get at least one hopeless battle wherein the only "success" could be considered chewing up a few extra minutes of the enemy's time.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

TildeATH posted:

That Jenner may be able to jump high enough to get its SRMs in range...

I hope we get at least one hopeless battle wherein the only "success" could be considered chewing up a few extra minutes of the enemy's time.

And I hope it's one where I'm playing. :3:

I can't promise I won't call back to Star Trek and demand people keep this song in mind as our turns resolve. Bonus points if a depressed Irishman ejects from a 'Mech only to later turn up at a New Avalon Institute for Science place as an engineer.

edit: Well, duh, first time we fight the Clans. But would that make Clan Steel Viper the Cardassians...?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Part of the charm of BT was the realization that no one was absolutely safe from harm in the fluff. Death would inevitably claim everyone, no matter how skilled or lucky they were. One of my favorite books was The Dying Time, if only because it reads almost exactly opposite to a normal "good guys win with no one important dying" novel. Everyone who had a name and history died. And most of the other people too.

I don't know if this was originally an accidental choice when editing the books but goddammit, it makes everything a little more interesting. It also spoiled most other cheap sci-fi war series for me. It's just not the same anymore.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

WarLocke posted:

Quick, does anyone know if PTN has a goatee?!?

I do, in fact. Actually, it's a Van Dyke, the stereotypical 'evil Spock' goatee.

Mukaikubo posted:

Related: Can Cardassians have goatees?

Not really. They can grow TOS Klingon Moustaches on their chins, though.

TildeATH posted:

*whistles*

Unfortunately, either Tempest_56 doesn't have forum PMs, or isn't around; so KnoxZone is now our Griffen pilot. Since he may be away for the weekend, Tempest_56 will be given another chance in the next scenario. KnoxZone, expect a Forum PM in the next... minute or so.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
So uhmm, Griffin, eh? Guess I need to find out what the plan was, although for turn 1 it is probably just finding out which direction we are moving.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Axe-man posted:

We don't have the moves we pm to poptarts but we can try to organize here :)

Click here for the full 1139x1317 image.

Red is the projected path to the kill zone, C can go either way, as long as it draws the force toward the kill zone, represented by orange.

Purple is the movement we want from the opforce

the cyan is the most likely flank they will try to pull and that is why the long rangers can hang back in the area near where i put them. I like that central area, cause of the forests and hills will allow us to play cat and mouse if need be and best of all divide the forces with the terrian.

This is a good summary of the plan. Approach and play quiet until we get into position, then raise hell on the two tanks before assessing whether or not to go for the bonus mission.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

TildeATH posted:

I think it'd be funny if everyone spoke in perfect drunken Scottish whenever they faced off against a Northwind Highlanders ace.

Fixed your post.

Also, I think I'd be slightly more worried about off-map artillery or orbital bombardment than aerospace assets. Most of the fighters available would go down to laser fire rather easily, wouldn't they?

Setting up a perfect trap to find out they've got a Cruiser in orbit or that you're up against a heavy lance AND offmap arty all of a sudden would be one hell of an "oh shi-" style moment for a future mission.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Zaodai posted:

Fixed your post.

Also, I think I'd be slightly more worried about off-map artillery or orbital bombardment than aerospace assets. Most of the fighters available would go down to laser fire rather easily, wouldn't they?

Setting up a perfect trap to find out they've got a Cruiser in orbit or that you're up against a heavy lance AND offmap arty all of a sudden would be one hell of an "oh shi-" style moment for a future mission.

Eeehhhh, Kurita's got an 80 ton aerospace fighter model that could pretty badly wreck our force. Probably not here, though, unless this entire planet is a trap. :tinfoil:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Pladdicus posted:

This is a good summary of the plan. Approach and play quiet until we get into position, then raise hell on the two tanks before assessing whether or not to go for the bonus mission.

What no. That is a terrible plan. As your new Lance Commander I demand we utilize my new plan.

You need to bravely charge the enemy mechs to draw their attention while we deal with the mission objectives. Acceptable casualties for a mission accomplished.

Original plan sounds good, sent my orders

Now if you excuse me, I need to reread the books. It has been decades since I last played BT and god if I can remember anything.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

KnoxZone posted:

What no. That is a terrible plan. As your new Lance Commander I demand we utilize my new plan.

[PLAN]

You need to bravely charge the enemy mechs to draw their attention while we deal with the mission objectives. Acceptable casualties for a mission accomplished.

Original plan sounds good, sent my orders

Now if you excuse me, I need to reread the books. It has been decades since I last played BT and god if I can remember anything.

OIL FOR THE OIL GOD? :black101:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Mukaikubo posted:

Eeehhhh, Kurita's got an 80 ton aerospace fighter model that could pretty badly wreck our force. Probably not here, though, unless this entire planet is a trap. :tinfoil:

Is that the one loaded up with like 4 Arrow IV launchers? That... might be unpleasant.

On the plus side, it tends to lose a wing and crash rather easily for it's size if they could get multiple mechs around so it couldn't fry them all in one pass.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Ummmm....WTF? I've been thrown for a loop with just the explaination post swapping Widowmaker and Wolf clans. Are you doing this to basicly de-canonize the books? If so, I applaud you.:golfclap:

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

elitebuster posted:

Ummmm....WTF? I've been thrown for a loop with just the explaination post swapping Widowmaker and Wolf clans. Are you doing this to basicly de-canonize the books? If so, I applaud you.:golfclap:

"Lets All Play Battletech and rewrite Inner Sphere history" maybe wasn't broad enough. We're not just rewriting Inner Sphere history. It's all gone into the blender now.

NO FATE BUT WHAT WE MAKE

(sorry I love that quote)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm skipping a chunk of the thread because it's late her and I wanna get some sleep before work, but I didn't notice anyone posting this in the thread before page 10 or so. It's the "starter" rules for Battletech, and for the time period we're looking at will cover pretty much everything until you get your rear end to Sarna and look up the specific thing you're wondering about when it gets invented in 20 years. Appologies if I missed someone else posting it.

Oh, and it's direct from Catalyst, so it's legit.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Zaodai posted:

Is that the one loaded up with like 4 Arrow IV launchers? That... might be unpleasant.

On the plus side, it tends to lose a wing and crash rather easily for it's size if they could get multiple mechs around so it couldn't fry them all in one pass.

No Arrow IVs in level 1 tech. The stuff available to us is:
LRMs
SRMs
Standard autocannons
Standard lasers
PPCs
Machine guns
Flamers

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Arquinsiel posted:

I'm skipping a chunk of the thread because it's late her and I wanna get some sleep before work, but I didn't notice anyone posting this in the thread before page 10 or so. It's the "starter" rules for Battletech, and for the time period we're looking at will cover pretty much everything until you get your rear end to Sarna and look up the specific thing you're wondering about when it gets invented in 20 years. Appologies if I missed someone else posting it.

Oh, and it's direct from Catalyst, so it's legit.

Vehicles aren't in there but the gist of vehicles is that lots of their hit location roll results can do some form of critical damage to them. It's an artificial limitation put in to make sure the focus is on mech combat.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Longinus00 posted:

Vehicles aren't in there but the gist of vehicles is that lots of their hit location roll results can do some form of critical damage to them. It's an artificial limitation put in to make sure the focus is on mech combat.

There's a fluff reason, if I could only remember it...

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Kell Hounds: Cylene Tactical Update 2

Combat Results:
Shooting happens simultaneously, incidentally. The team that wins initiative moves last, to better exploit the enemy’s position.
No Shots Fired

“Blake’s Blood, these things are fast!” St. Croix cursed as one of the J. Edgars launched itself towards her at a breakneck pace; its hoverskirt ejecting dust and detritus into the air. Taking a shot at the little bastard was going to be tough. “They must’ve seen me after all, sir!”

“It’ll be trouble if they punch past us,” Desmond grumbled into the comms. He wasn’t much further than St. Croix. “They could track us back to the dropships, and then the Ninth would still know exactly where we are!”

Thank you for that stunning tactical assessment, Mechwarrior,” Lieutenant Barnes growled. “What’re you waiting for? Are you going to shoot the snakes, or throw a party for their tactical acumen?”

Desmond grinned, “gently caress you too, sir,” he laughed into the comms. “I don’t speak Japanese.”

“I do,” Yoshita added helpfully, his voice a merry falsetto sing-song. “I would offer to translate, Lieutenant, but I think my lasers have more useful things to say.”

“Har har,” Barnes faked, “Do any of you jokers have an inside line on the Curry ‘Mechs?”

A chorus of negatives was the only possible reply.

OpForce Movement:
K1 Unknown Light walks to 2218
K2 SDR-5K Spider runs to 1818
K3 JR7-D Jenner walks to 2318
K4 DRG-1G Grand Dragon runs to 2518
K5 J. Edgar light hover tank moves at flank speed to 1606
K6 J. Edgar light hover tank moves at cruising speed to 1313

Enemy Forces
K1 Unknown Light
K2 SDR-5K Spider
K3 JR7-D Jenner
K4 DRG-1G Grand Dragon
K5, K6 J. Edgar light hover tank (x2)

Victory Condition: Disable or Destroy both J. Edgar hovertanks
Optional Secondary Condition: Disable or Destroy all House Kurita forces

Kell Hounds ’Mech Status
A GRF-1N Griffin (Tempest_56)
Weight: 55 tons (Medium)
HD A(S): 9/9 (3/3)
LT A(S): 20/20 (13/13)
LT R A(S): 6/6
CT A(S): 20/20 (18/18)
CT R A(S): 7/7
RT A(S): 20/20 (13/13)
RT R A(S): 6/6
LA A(S): 14/14 (9/9)
RA A(S): 14/14 (9/9)
LL A(S): 18/18 (13/13)
RL A(S): 18/18 (13/13)
Heat: 0/30
Overheat Penalty: None
Heat Sinks: 12
Movement: 5/8/5
Mechwarrior: Pilot 6, Gunnery 3
Mechwarrior Status: OK!
Armament:
PPC – RA (Heat: 10, Ammo: 0, Range: (L:18 M:12 S:6 Min:3), Status: OK!)
LRM 10 – RT (Heat: 4, Ammo: 24, Range: (L:21 M:14 S:7 Min:6), Status: OK!)
Notes: 2 hands—may punch with either arm (may not punch with right arm if PPC is fired)

B BJ-1DB Blackjack (Axe-man)
Weight: 45 tons (Medium)
LT A(S): 14/14 (11/11)
LT R A(S): 5/5
CT A(S): 16/16 (14/14)
CT R A(S): 7/7
RT A(S): 14/14 (11/11)
RT R A(S): 5/5
LA A(S): 11/11 (7/7)
RA A(S): 11/11 (7/7)
LL A(S): 14/14 (11/11)
RL A(S): 14/14 (11/11)
Heat Sinks: 17
Movement: 4/6/4
Mechwarrior: Pilot 5, Gunnery 4
Armament:
Large Laser – RA (Heat: 8, Ammo: 0, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5 Min:0), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – RA (Heat: 8, Ammo: 0, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3 Min:0), Status: OK!)
Large Laser – LA (Heat: 3, Ammo: 0, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5 Min:), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – LA (Heat: 3, Ammo: 0, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3 Min:0), Status: OK!)
Notes: No hands or actuators —may not punch with either arm (may fire arm-mounted weapons into the rear arc)

C VLT-5T Vulcan (Pladdicus)
Weight: 40 tons (Medium)
LT A(S): 12/12 (10/10)
LT R A(S): 4/4
CT A(S): 15/15 (12/12)
CT R A(S): 6/6
RT A(S): 12/12 (10/10)
RT R A(S): 4/4
LA A(S): 11/11 (6/6)
RA A(S): 11/11 (6/6)
LL A(S): 14/14 (10/10)
RL A(S): 14/14 (10/10)
Heat Sinks: 12
Movement: 6/9/6
Mechwarrior: Pilot 5, Gunnery 4
Armament:
Medium Laser – LT (Heat: 3, Ammo: 0, Range: (L:9 M:5 S:3 Min:0), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – RT (Heat: 3, Ammo: 0, Range: (L:9 M:5 S:3 Min:0), Status: OK!)
Flamer – RA (Heat: 3, Ammo: 0, Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1 Min:0), Status: OK!)
Machine Gun – LA (Heat: 0, Ammo: 200, Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1 Min:0), Status: OK!)
Notes: no hands—may not punch with either arm

D JR7-D Jenner (Cthulhu Dreams)
Weight: 35 tons (Light)
HD A(S): 7/7 (3/3)
LT A(S): 8/8 (8/8)
LT R A(S): 4/4
CT A(S): 10/10 (11/11)
CT R A(S): 3/3
RT A(S): 8/8 (8/8)
RT R A(S): 4/4
LA A(S): 4/4 (6/6)
RA A(S): 4/4 (6/6)
LL A(S): 6/6 (8/8)
RL A(S): 6/6 (8/8)
Heat Sinks: 10
Movement: 7/11/5
Mechwarrior: Pilot 4, Gunnery 4
Armament:
Medium Laser – RA (Heat: 3, Ammo: 0, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3 Min:0), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – RA (Heat: 3, Ammo: 0, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3 Min:0), Status: OK!)
SRM 4 – CT (Heat: 3, Ammo: 25, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3 Min:0), Status: OK!)
Notes: No hands or actuators —may not punch with either arm (may fire arm-mounted weapons into the rear arc)

Enemy ‘Mech Status
K1 Unknown Light
Walked: 4
Damage: None
Armament: Unknown

K2 SDR-5K Spider

K3 JR7-D Jenner

K4 DRG-1G Grand Dragon

K5 J. Edgar light hover tank
Flank: 12
Armament: Medium Laser, 2 SRM 2

K6 J. Edgar light hover tank
Cruised: 7
Armament: Medium Laser, 2 SRM 2

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 9, 2013

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
If I may, I'd like to as a question. If the team fulfills primary mission objectives, does the mission end immediately, or can they continue to fulfill secondary objectives, as well?

Edit: Hey look an update. Awwwesome.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Hahahaha, that hovertank pilot knows mech weapons ranges very well. Excellent. This should be a humorous gunnery round.

e: 4 away from the Vulcan, 7 away from the Blackjack, and 8 away from the Griffin. Nice positioning. Still laughing over here.

e2: and the other one is 6 away from the Vulcan. That's great. PTN, you are a funny man.

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 24, 2011

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Does anyone else wonder what the hell they're using for "tons" in the 4th millenium? Mechs are just too goddamn big to only weigh 30-100 tons. An M1 Abrams weighs 60 tons... I'm fairly sure a heavy mech is several times larger than that.

Unless mechs are made of snowflakes and angel feathers, they better have a different definition of "ton" in futureland.

edit: J. Edgar Hoovertank? Really?

:ughh:

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 24, 2011

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Arglebargle III posted:

Does anyone else wonder what the hell they're using for "tons" in the 4th millenium? Mechs are just too goddamn big to only weigh 30-100 tons. An M1 Abrams weighs 60 tons... I'm fairly sure a heavy mech is several times larger than that.

Unless mechs are made of snowflakes and angel feathers, they better have a different definition of "ton" in futureland.

Or they're made out of some metal that's really light yet strong. Just because they're bigger doesn't mean they're heavier.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

I belive in the books they used the word "tonnes," which I belive, possibly mistakenly, are larger than 2000 lbs.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Could someone refresh my memory, please, about punching? No hand = no punch, even if you've got upper and lower actuators? If our Griffin gets a hand shot off, can it still punch with that arm?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
"Already folks heat up the lead snake, that fast bastard is going around us, lets protect the pogues behind us!"

We just need one good solid hit guys on each and the rest is bonus time.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

elitebuster posted:

I belive in the books they used the word "tonnes," which I belive, possibly mistakenly, are larger than 2000 lbs.

If it's metric that's about 2200 lbs. Still I believe Arglebargle would suggest that's a slight difference and he would expect weights an order of magnitude larger.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Axe-man posted:

"Already folks heat up the lead snake, that fast bastard is going around us, lets protect the pogues behind us!"

We just need one good solid hit guys on each and the rest is bonus time.

Yeah... that could be a problem. If y'all have any incantations to beseech the Dice Gods to be merciful I suggest you start warming them up.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Well generally, when looking at two enormous armored war machines, it's a pretty safe guess that the one that's three times larger is also the heavier one. I suppose it's possible that they came up with some kind of super space metal that's 3x lighter and yet stronger than whatever, but even after you build the frame and armor out of magic space metal you're stuck with the sheer amount of stuff that's crammed into a mech.

Fusion reactors, heat sinks, gun barrels, gyroscopes etc. are all heavy machinery. And it's called "heavy" machinery for a reason. You can't just reduce the density of a fusion reactor's neutron jacket or of a heat sink or gyroscope, because all those things have to be dense to function. Some things' entire purpose is being dense and heavy.

So you could hand-wave and say magic space metal, or weights and measures might have changed over a thousand years.

I'm not like upset about this, because if I was designing this game I wouldn't give a poo poo what my weight units were called, but if you want to get all technical about this poo poo you pretty much have to admit that the definition of "ton" needs to be different for these things to function as advertised. Which, again, is not really surprising if a thousand years have passed.

Hell, when Americans say "calorie" we actually mean kilocalories. That's a three order-of-magnitude language shift right there. Maybe when they started building mechs they said "decatons" all the time and people got tired of that poo poo and started saying "tons" instead.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 24, 2011

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

farraday posted:

If it's metric that's about 2200 lbs. Still I believe Arglebargle would suggest that's a slight difference and he would expect weights an order of magnitude larger.

Alright, but who says the "X number of tons" was measured on Earth, or in Earth-standard gravity? Besides, it's not like any sci-fi series that has hyper-jump technology is really constrained by the laws of physics.

Dux Supremus
Feb 2, 2009

elitebuster posted:

The tonne is the metric ton, and corresponds to 1000kg, which is roughly equivalent to 2,205lbs. Weirdly, this is the second post I've made about the unit in two days... :tinfoil: Whether you use tons or tonnes is important because the former's weight and the latter's mass, and they're different, but I digress. I'm guessing the space-future would only use masses.

As to mechs, an empty B-52 bomber comes in at about 90 tonnes, and loaded is more like 120 tonnes. So mechs are probably under by a factor of 1.5 to 2.0 but it's not like they're an order of magnitude off.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
I'm going to twist and open a full salvo of firing on K5. No movement means I'll have a miniscule advantage to hitting them, even if it costs me some damage on my own, hitting them is priority. Everyone else should probably fire on K5 to take them down and move south to get into a firing position on K6. Though D should probably engage K6 instead of K5.

Any opinions, suggestions or advisements?

Edit

Scratch my plan, I'm going to move into its flank, and open fire, ending my turn with a most excellent kick.

Pladdicus fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 24, 2011

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

PoptartsNinja posted:

Kell Hounds: Cylene Tactical Update 2

Combat Results:
Shooting happens simultaneously, incidentally. The team that wins initiative moves last, to better exploit the enemy’s position.
No Shots Fired

No Shots Fired? Does that mean we're at turn 2 or are we at the firing phase (remember when torso twisting was it's own phase)?

VVV

Okay, got a little confused since the flow is a bit different from the regular tabletop order right now.

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 24, 2011

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Longinus00 posted:

No Shots Fired? Does that mean we're at turn 2 or are we at the firing phase (remember when torso twisting was it's own phase)?

This is the hover tanks second movement, so this is turn 2. Firing phase was skipped.

It's a little different, the primary change is that he loses all initiative, so I assume everyone on the enemies side moves, and then we move.

Pladdicus fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dux Supremus posted:

The tonne is the metric ton, and corresponds to 1000kg, which is roughly equivalent to 2,205lbs. Weirdly, this is the second post I've made about the unit in two days... :tinfoil: Whether you use tons or tonnes is important because the former's weight and the latter's mass, and they're different, but I digress. I'm guessing the space-future would only use masses.

As to mechs, an empty B-52 bomber comes in at about 90 tonnes, and loaded is more like 120 tonnes. So mechs are probably under by a factor of 1.5 to 2.0 but it's not like they're an order of magnitude off.

Yeah a spacefaring culture would never use weight as a unit of measure, especially for something like a mech that's going to be traveling around. Can you imagine what a headache it would be to figure out the new tonnage every time you landed somewhere?

An aircraft, however large, is not a great comparison for a mech, obviously. B-52s aren't expected to survive direct hits from artillery or lug around fusion reactors.

... Which leads to two other tech questions.

1. What kind of fusion technology are they using? From what I know about fusion reactors, it would be really really hard to design one that exploded when its containment failed. I mean, I could see a mech kinda going Hindenburg on you if its carrying a poo poo-ton of compressed hydrogen, but going nuclear? Not going to happen with fusion. (Incidentally, what exactly happens when a mech loses its reactor? The fuel exploding would be realistic, but the reactor exploding would not.)

2. Why is anyone using mechs anyway? Did they forget guided missile technology too? Why not just put a HEAT warhead through the cockpit, using any one of a zillion delivery systems available today? It's not WWII anymore. (Of course in wargaming it is WWII forever. Just check out the tactics of any popular wargaming franchise. It's WWII.)

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 24, 2011

• Locked thread