Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Cimbri posted:

This wouldn't by chance explain why it is that, for example, Spectre, could jump between mechs all the time, due to the IS adopting a lot of Omnimech stuff?

Don't worry about trying to explain MechWarrior 4. It's very solidly non-canon, plus every ending is set up so that you die in the first waves of the Jihad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

wiegieman posted:

Specter is a player character. The guy buys a rookie Solaris entry ticket and wins in his first and only competition. He's just that good.

I like the explanation that the campaign is him telling a story to his grandkids or whatever and he's wildly exaggerating pretty much everything he did.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
You ever make a post, re-read it, and it's actually a bad post? This was a bad post.

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jul 6, 2016

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Scintilla posted:

I like the explanation that the campaign is him telling a story to his grandkids or whatever and he's wildly exaggerating pretty much everything he did.

Or it's all a dream he has in the moments between seeing the naval PPC bolts from the sky and getting atomized by orbital fire on Tharkad or whatever planet you chose to die on.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jul 6, 2016

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Minobu Tetsuhara is a better Panther pilot than any man who ever lived, Takashi Kurita's decision to put him in a Dragon ultimately lead to his death.

Although at the end there, he does manage to reach the level of pure man-machine interface, kicking rear end, and taking names before they bring him down. And that's including the fact that he's waltzing around with crappy prosthetics.

As for the Kell Hounds, they did survive Khan Wolf Wolf Wolf Wolfy Wolf, given that they're (somehow) still alive in the 3150's.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Couldn't even die with WiE.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
1A and fight a Trinary for a overlord

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Affi posted:

1A and fight a Trinary for a overlord

You'd have to fight a cluster to get one of those. Might be able to get a Union or a trio of Broadswords, though.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jul 6, 2016

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, a clan datacore to give the IS a technical boot in the rear would be kinda nice.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Amaris's stuff makes clan tech look quaint.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

mcjomar posted:

Honestly, a clan datacore to give the IS a technical boot in the rear would be kinda nice.

The IS doesn't really have a tech problem at this point. It has a manufacturing and distribution problem. SLDF tech isn't quite up to Clan specs but it's a matter of degrees.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I was thinking less from the military standpoint, and more from the civilian viewpoint (stuff like hydroponics, for example) as IIRC in the PTN-verse, we didn't get a helm core, correct?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

mcjomar posted:

I was thinking less from the military standpoint, and more from the civilian viewpoint (stuff like hydroponics, for example) as IIRC in the PTN-verse, we didn't get a helm core, correct?

P sure the equivalent to the Helm Memory Core was what Other Duncan faxed out to spite Comstar a few years back.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Ahh okay I guess I forgot about that bit.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

dis astranagant posted:

P sure the equivalent to the Helm Memory Core was what Other Duncan faxed out to spite Comstar a few years back.

Not the equivalent to, the actual thing.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
The IS has the bigger industrial base right? So once the Helm Core gets rolling along the Clan is going to lose that tech advantage.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Artificer posted:

The IS has the bigger industrial base right? So once the Helm Core gets rolling along the Clan is going to lose that tech advantage.

The stuff in the Helm core isn't better than anything the Clans have, but it does bring the IS back to the Star League level tech.

In the PTN Verse, each faction does also have some of the advanced post SL era stuff (We saw the details of who had what during a 'Mech design contest a good ways back- Like the DracSuns having Hypervelocity Autocannons and Heavy PPCs), but only the NRWR has been showing to have the really complete array of the most cutting edge kit out there. And even they're still not completely comparable to the clans weapon wise, but they have enough other perks to make up the difference, between C3i, Ferro-Lammelor + hardened armor, TSM, void sig, and everything else.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The thing is Clanner weapons will probably always have an edge because weapons are what stand out to the warriors and they set all the research, development, and production goals.

"BRING ME A BIGGER GUN!" is the memo every Clanner scientist gets over and over and over, next to "Also engineer better murderbabies."

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Night10194 posted:

The thing is Clanner weapons will probably always have an edge because weapons are what stand out to the warriors and they set all the research, development, and production goals.

"BRING ME A BIGGER GUN!" is the memo every Clanner scientist gets over and over and over, next to "Also engineer better murderbabies."

While true in a lot of ways, the clans are also hamstrung by the same idea - if you are gonna block/throw away research and new weapon types because they are "dishonorable" (which the clans will undoubtedly do at times) that lead is going to start slipping. Not to mention that's partly why the Society is a thing as well.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Speaking of the Society, I wonder how any fight between the teched up Capellans and the NRWR is going to end, especially since they both have AI-controlled units that use laser-relay communications. That just has to end with one side using this similarity to take over the opponents units.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
The NRWR has had the advantage of A) Not blowing themselves up for 300 years, and B) Getting a nice windfall from having Clan Wolverine land in their lap, so its not too surprising that they would be be competative with the Clans when it comes to Tech, though they chose to go for better armor and fancy systems, while the Clans favored making their weapons increasingly more bullshit.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Rorahusky posted:

The NRWR has had the advantage of A) Not blowing themselves up for 300 years, ...

Let's not jump ahead of ourselves here. There may be a reason for the Amaris's tightly controlled dynastic line/child having practices. One of these Amarises might have made one or two Stefan's too many and the fallout could have inspired that system.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Picard Day posted:

Let's not jump ahead of ourselves here. There may be a reason for the Amaris's tightly controlled dynastic line/child having practices. One of these Amarises might have made one or two Stefan's too many and the fallout could have inspired that system.

Stefan Amaris Jr was a bastard

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

Stefan Amaris Jr was a bastard

By "Jr." Do you mean Amaris #2 , the current or both?

We need a fall of the Star League flashback mission at some point!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Stefan Amaris II

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Picard Day posted:

True, though I'm more referring to the fact that the NRWR sat out the immensely destructive Succession Wars, and so were in a better position to move forward with their technological development. They might have had their conflicts during those 300 years after the SLDF fled, but they never blasted themselves back to the stone age the way the five states did, hense why they are currently ahead of the game and more or less on equal footing with the Clans.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Post-Mission Fallout 2

Catherine Humphreys Memorial Staging Area
Andurien V, Andurien
T + 00:01:15

“Pass.”

“No thanks.”

Duncan and Jason spoke almost in unison, not even sparing one another a glance. They were here to fight, true, but they hadn’t been hired to be gladiators. Especially not in a game of the Clans’ choosing, where the Clans had undoubtedly if, and Jason was being charitable, unintentionally built methods of cheating in their favor right into their processes. He didn’t relish the idea of fighting an enemy who was theoretically capable of designing a battleforce to defeat the Demon Hawks at their own game in any case. If the enemy did have such a force, it would still be better to take to the field where the odds of meeting them would remain low.

“I thought that might be your reply,” the elder Amaris tipped his head. “We’ll continue to ignore the Clan transmissions until they make an earnest attempt to parley or request a ceasefire. Now—I’m eager to know, what did you think of the Atlas III?”

“Tough and durable,” Duncan rolled his shoulders in that particular way Jason knew meant he was preparing to tell someone something they wouldn’t like. “Surprisingly quick, and very powerful. But it’s also extremely limited and very uncomfortable. I couldn’t imagine running one at full capacity for an extended period, it’s much too hot—I had to rehydrate twice during the fight and by the end my water bottle had melted. The complete lack of long-range weaponry also means it’ll have issues on defense.” Duncan paused, then added, “But it is astonishingly powerful. In terms of pure shock and awe I don’t think any `Mech in the Inner Sphere right now can beat it.”

“An earnest assessment—it mirrors our own pilots. But if you had final say in producing the design, would you?”

Duncan nodded, “Without knowing what else you have in the works, I’d say yes. Being highly specialized doesn’t make a machine bad, it just makes a machine predictable—but even a predictable machine isn’t necessarily easy to stop. I gather it’s a prototype? Will you be wanting me to return it?”

“Final production prototype,” Amaris waved a hand dismissively. “We have twelve others. I just like hearing an outsider’s perspective, if nothing else it confirms that none of my people are lying to me. We’ll get you a full-body cooling suit. That should make it more bearable. Jason? What are your thoughts on the Screamer?”

Jason winced. His ribs and back still ached and his neck was stiff and sore. Coupled with the steam burns he’d received when his cockpit had been breached he hadn’t had an enjoyable time of things. He felt more inclined to head to the infirmary and pass out than to report for debriefing. “It’s—very rough. I’m not sure if any amount of restraining straps would be enough to keep it from throwing me around like a ragdoll. I don’t think I can pilot it again.”

“Would it be better if you were anchored securely?” Amaris seemed curious.

“Maybe,” Jason didn’t sound convinced. “It’d have to be almost full-body—and I’m not convinced it’d be helpful. It’d depend on how much it’d rattle my brain around. I gather you have something in mind?”

“If you’d like, I’ll gift you one of our Pilot-class light power armor suits and a crash-course in using it. You’ll be locked into your seat and the control scheme is completely different than what you’re used to, but if you think you can learn a whole new way to pilot in a week I’ll swap your Screamer for the Special Forces version that takes full advantage of the Pilot PA(L). The `Mech’s overall performance is practically identical.”

“I’ll consider it,” Jason wasn’t convinced, but it was better to humor anyone who might have a hand in writing his paycheck. “But if I can’t pick it up quickly I’m going back to my Phoenix Hawk.”

“Fair,” Amaris agreed. “We wouldn’t want you out of the fight for long. Speaking of which—since the Clans are going to be hunting you trials or no, we’re going to be using that to our advantage. We’d like you to garrison one of three locations we think we’ve successfully convinced the Clans are part of the “weapon” that destroyed the James Mckenna. They’re undoubtedly going to make a strong push for these regardless, but if we leak the one you’re defending we can better mass our forces to smash their attack. The Snow Ravens favor light and fast forces and the Sea Foxes have been content to take a defensive role, so we’re expecting a mix of fast medium and heavy `Mechs. You should have a weight advantage—but we’d be willing to uprate some of your lighter machines if you’d like to make sure. Oh—and you’ll be pleased to hear we’ve had time to recover and repair your Awesome.”

“So,” Duncan asked, “will you be personally assigning us a battle zone?”

“No, I’ve done well letting you have your way so far, this will be no different. You’ll have your choice of the three—they all have their own challenges. You have a debriefing to get to, but I’ll see that you have the tactical analysis by the end.”

Jojoken Outskirts
With the planet’s remaining population in shelters, the capitol city of Andurien is a ghost city, the perfect “hiding” place for the Bubu’tu Project. There’re plenty of nooks and crannies for BattleMechs to hide and crossing side-streets can keep units out of the line of fire while narrow chokepoints constrict movement. Unfortunately, Jojoken is was a heavily planned city and has many long straightaways that could favor Clan long-range weaponry.

Mt. Kalgalath
Located two thirds of the way up Mt. Kalgalath, the Ukur Facility is above the treeline and exposed. The steeply sloped battlefield should severely hamper the mobility of attacking Clan units, but the slopes themselves could also provide cover for incoming BattleMechs. There is also minimal cover from attacks from above, which could render the whole facility vulnerable to AeroSpace fighters.

Morgaine River Delta
The Nergal Generator is a powerful mixed hydroelectric/fusion power plant situated in the lowland deltas of the Morgaine river. The Clans have been misled into believing it’s the power source for a ground-to-space weapon of frightening power. Wet, swampy terrain should prevent the enemy from effectively deploying battle armor or infantry units, but the swamps will also slow defenders and could bog down jump-capable units.

Battlefield Vote:
1) Which Battlefield will the Demon Hawks take?
1A) Jojoken Outskirts
1B) Mt. Kalgalath
1C) Morgaine River Delta

2) Take the `Mech sidegrade?
2A) Yes
2B) No

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I'm gonna vote Jojoken Outskirts. Recreating a Tukkayid-style city fight sounds really cool. Also, Take the sidegrade.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Mmm, side grade sounds interesting but probably will depend on our map of choice. I kinda like the sound of the city map - A bit of decent baiting and the Atlas could end up with another serious pounder of a mission.

I'm probably most hesitant about the mountain map. Forested slopes will provide the clanners cover and Goonlance will be exposed. Not to mention the aeros. Those guys are probably going to abandon their missions and come in for a try if they hear the Hawks are nearby.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Yeah, I'm with Scintilla here, Jojoken Outskirts and Take the Sidegrade.

Cityfights Best Fights.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Picard Day posted:

I'm probably most hesitant about the mountain map. Forested slopes will provide the clanners cover and Goonlance will be exposed. Not to mention the aeros. Those guys are probably going to abandon their missions and come in for a try if they hear the Hawks are nearby.

"Above the treeline" means no trees.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

1C) Morgaine River Delta: I want to see stray fire destroy the dam and flood the entire battlemap
Take the sidegrade

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Awesome update, expecially the return of the same to active duty.

1A A nice city in memory of wrestlemech sounds too good to pass up. Though the mountain range would be another nice option, if we could get aerospace support. Though on the city map we might be able to hide the Atlas in a building...

And let's take all of the upgrades erm sidegrades.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
1C and 2A. No infantry sounds really good, low mobility favors armor taking over dodge tanking and the NRWR has an armor edge. Also Amaris is exceptionally good at designing mechs so any sidegrade is bound to be very good.

I'd also say take the PA(L) upgrade if it becomes an option, because that'll decrease the insta-death potential of one of the most valuable pilots.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
1C) Morgaine River Delta - gently caress battle armor. gently caress infantry.
What would we get if we dropped the Screamer? A Phoenix Hawk and...?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Artificer posted:

What would we get if we dropped the Screamer? A Phoenix Hawk and...?

Why would you get anything?

Loa Vecre
Jul 27, 2014
Yeah, I'm going with 1A, Jojoken Outskirts. The long firing lines can be dangerous if we're caught in the open, but it's infinitely preferable to being Aerospace chow. No infantry/BA in the swamp sounds real nice, but I'm a little iffy on our jumpers being impaired.

2A, take the sidegrade. Let's see what other toys Amaris has in store for us.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
1A, Jojoken Outskirts. I am quite sanguine about this choice
City fights are great, and narrow lanes can help funnel Clan units right in to an Inner Sphere brawl-squad.
Just have to watch out for movement options, so as not to get frustrated by cheeky Jenners.

Take the Sidegrade. I'm betting that Jason might suffer a slight piloting penalty while learning the new controls, but ignoring pilot hits thanks to the PA(L) is amazing.

Octavion
Apr 5, 2009
Jojoken Outskirts
Urban terrain means UrbanMechs.

Take the Sidegrade
This sidegrade has to be 10 UrbanMechs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Artificer posted:

1C) Morgaine River Delta - gently caress battle armor. gently caress infantry.

This. and take the sidegrade(s)

Are there any tangible benefits Jason would see by undertaking the training and using the battle armor? Would the penalty for piloting it still remain, etc?

• Locked thread