Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Oh snap

I will be back from vacation on Wednesday and can jump in the IRC then. Will try to get first orders in tonight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

On the plus side, considering how slow and underwater the Grasshopper is, you don't have a lot to worry about for the first turn.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Dolash posted:

On the plus side, considering how slow and underwater the Grasshopper is, you don't have a lot to worry about for the first turn.

This is very true.

I guess my only decision now is to figure out whether I'm moving (underwater) north to set up an ambush on the assault star or (underwater) east to set up one on the lighter robots, or to just stay put

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

You should probably get closer to the surface. Two turns of lead time before even being able to jump is a lot.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

RA Rx posted:

You should probably get closer to the surface. Two turns of lead time before even being able to jump is a lot.

All he has to do is turn two hexsides to face the land and he can get out of the water in one turn. :shrug:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Pattonesque posted:

This is very true.

I guess my only decision now is to figure out whether I'm moving (underwater) north to set up an ambush on the assault star or (underwater) east to set up one on the lighter robots, or to just stay put

You almost certainly wanna get out of the water so you have some mobility available in the next turn- It'll take all of your (MASC) MP just to get up on to land one hex south of your position (I think)

e: Beaten!

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Ronin Of Dreams posted:

Screamer checking in.

And terrified.

See? SEE?

She's a terrifying machine, Ronin. Have fun with that deliciously crazy mech.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

PoptartsNinja posted:

All he has to do is turn two hexsides to face the land and he can get out of the water in one turn. :shrug:

You can walk out of depth 2 water?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
2 levels is the max that a mech can climb without jets, it just takes extra MP. Moving through depth 2 water along the riverbed is the real killer MP wise, since you can only walk, and it takes 4 mp per hex plus a PSR.

e: Also, you can use running MP when leaving water, it's only entering/moving through that you can't.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Gwaihir posted:

You almost certainly wanna get out of the water so you have some mobility available in the next turn- It'll take all of your (MASC) MP just to get up on to land one hex south of your position (I think)

e: Beaten!

So the thought would be that the southern star is quite long-ranged but not super-heavy, therefore we'd want to get at them ASAP and take (at very least) the Naga out of commission before the hurt comes down?

And in that case I'd want to move the grasshopper out onto land so it can a)start taking potshots with the X-pulse laser and b) start tanking with its huge amount of armor? I'd imagine the move next turn would be into those woods to the east (light woods, yes?)

(This is the first time I've played BT for real-real so I'm figuring stuff out on the fly)

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Gwaihir posted:

It doesn't require MASC - hex 2124 would only require running MP (5) to get to.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

soon SOON, I will get to mech again. I am requesting in advance to have elbows this time. So I can elbow drop someone in the proper manner.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Remember, send in your orders even if you're standing still (like I am)!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
So question: if I move up on land, I could be juuuuust in X-pulse range if the southern clanners move up. Can I specify targets (if X is closest, fire on X, and so on)? Also will firing on them ruin any plans the rest of you have?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

If you're really going to sit still and not fire, you should at least have some fun with it like run in a circle or do as many tricks and moves you can that don't require a PSR or incur any overheat/other penalties.

You're underwater and you've got two Medium Lasers, why not give them a little test-fire to see how they do in wet conditions? Maybe try and bullseye something tasty-looking for the post-battle brunch?

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

AtomikKrab posted:

soon SOON, I will get to mech again. I am requesting in advance to have elbows this time. So I can elbow drop someone in the proper manner.
Don't be a one-trick-pony! Request something that *doesn't* have elbows so that you can be more than one dimension. It would be like Keru complaining about not having headcappers and the map not having buildings.

If you hit someone with a discarded elbow from a different mech, or had a gun that shot elbows, that would be a cool in-joke though.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Tarezax posted:

Remember, send in your orders even if you're standing still (like I am)!

Might wanna turn and face one of the land hexes at least, if you're planning on popping up there. It'll save a couple MP that might be useful in a following turn!

Pattonesque posted:

So question: if I move up on land, I could be juuuuust in X-pulse range if the southern clanners move up. Can I specify targets (if X is closest, fire on X, and so on)? Also will firing on them ruin any plans the rest of you have?

The Clanners have already moved- So if they're not in range now, they won't be in range for this turn.

So the next update will have your movement, shooting for both sides, and then the Clanners will move for the next turn.

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Even Death laughs when the nukes begin to rain.

Plek posted:

Pretty sure it worked that one time and then everyone that followed with an ECM mech has tried to make it work again. Every time PTN says it's annoying and mostly useless... then someone does it again anyway. I'm just waiting on the mission where he houserules something in that makes missed missiles retarget the ECM mech or something to get back at the players.

I apologized utterly profusely to PTN when I used Ghost Targets as the Dragoon II, but frankly, normal ECM wasn't doing anything and we were scraping the barrel for every possible defensive option on the retreat. I still have a bad taste in my mouth about it, but now my penance is the terror machine known as the Screamer.

Life is good as an alternate sometimes.

E:

Loxbourne posted:

She's a terrifying machine, Ronin. Have fun with that deliciously crazy mech.

Oh yeah. Even more terrifying given all these tarcomps and pulses on the OpFor side. Will try my best to make a good showing of it, and besides, my avatar choice seems incredibly appropriate right about now.

Ronin Of Dreams fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 20, 2016

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Gwaihir posted:

Might wanna turn and face one of the land hexes at least, if you're planning on popping up there. It'll save a couple MP that might be useful in a following turn!

The Clanners have already moved- So if they're not in range now, they won't be in range for this turn.

So the next update will have your movement, shooting for both sides, and then the Clanners will move for the next turn.

Gotcha, thanks!

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Endomorphic posted:

Don't be a one-trick-pony! Request something that *doesn't* have elbows so that you can be more than one dimension. It would be like Keru complaining about not having headcappers and the map not having buildings.

If you hit someone with a discarded elbow from a different mech, or had a gun that shot elbows, that would be a cool in-joke though.

I am more likely to complain about not being in a jumpy, fast medium. :haw:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Have not gotten orders from Polaron, Zen Vulgarity, or Vorenus (C'mon, I know you're around!)

Will probably be calling up Loa Vecre and TheFlippantHam, possibly also thetruegentleman if something's happened to Vorenus.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I do not see my name on the list so sign me up. Email address: thisisacutout@gmail.com

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Nergal Reactor: Tactical Update 2

Brackish water sluicing from her Phoenix Hawk’s domed head, Noretti’s `Mech breached the surface like some coastal leviathan. She cast about, trying to take stock of the—it was still so hard to think of her own Clan as the enemy—force. The water dragged at her every moment, pulling at her `Mech’s slender legs and eating away at the machine’s speed. She hated fighting in the water, and it rankled to much wait in ambush to strike an unsuspecting target on the flank. A Warhawk stalked along the beach not far distant and she scrambled to take cover—but in a display of utter contempt the enemy pilot twisted an arm and scoured armor from the Phoenix Hawk’s center torso with a single brilliant shot. Her `Mech rang like a bell as she strained to make out its unit insignia.

“Remember I want that Phoenix Hawk back, Noretti,” Jason chastised her. He didn’t understand. That hit had been ordained from the moment she’d stepped from the relative safety of the riverbed.

“Jason,” his freeborn surname caught in her throat, “We are in trouble.”

“The battle’s barely started, Noretti,” he sounded distracted. Likely still familiarizing himself with the Republic’s alien power armor controls. The setup was as impressive as the technology was distressing—it was as though House Amaris was simply toying with her Clan, presenting them the fight they thought they wanted while slowly, steadily giving them more fight than they could handle. “It’s a bit too early to get fatalistic.”

“No, you do not understand,” she pressed. “We are no longer facing the Snow Ravens and I need to make sure you understand that the Clans do not all fight the same way. The Blue and Green patterns are from the Sea Fox Beta Galaxy, the Sea Foxes are renowned for their viciousness. They do not follow the Clan rules of warfare and unless an opponent impresses them greatly they have absolutely no qualms about grinding it down with massed firepower.”

“They fight like we do, then,” Jason chuckled.

“My warning is unfinished. The unit we face is as unlike a standard Clan front-line battle trinary as—as—savashri, hell with this. The unit we face is Clan Sea Fox’s 197th Assault Trinary, of the Pearl Skate. The command element of Beta Galaxy and one of the most elite units in Clan Sea Fox. You will not find a `Mech in that trinary that does not sport the Shark’s Teeth, which a pilot can only add after a confirmed enemy pilot kill. They are specialized shock troops who excel not only in staging ambushes but in thwarting the same. I know I am not privy to whatever deception Stefan Amaris has prepared to aid us for this battle, but it will not be enough.”

“Unfortunately, even if you’re right we’ll have to leave that to our contractor to decide,” Jason replied. “So keep it together.”

“She’s not wrong, Jason,” Bethany interjected. “I’ve been running the numbers in my head and even with the Republic’s firepower we’re badly outgunned. I hope whatever Amaris has planned is one hell of an equalizer, or you’ll be learning comlang by the end of the day.”

Movement Phase
Mountain Lion
- Shield set to: Active!

Wild Weasel
- Activates Ghost Targets (4 base + 2 Ghost Targets = 6): rolled 7, MOS: 0!
- Activates Ghost Targets (4 base + 2 Ghost Targets = 6): rolled 8, MOS: 1!

Shooting Phase
Atlas III (Player)
- No Orders Received
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 24!

Awesome (Player)
- Fires rER PPC at Varangian Undertow (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 10): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires rER PPC at Varangian Undertow (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 10): rolled 3, miss!
- Gains 32 heat, sinks 50!

Grasshopper (Player)
- Holds Fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 30!

Lament (Player)
- Fires rER PPC at Swordbreaker Storm Surge (4 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 light woods + 1 partial cover = 12): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires rER PPC at Swordbreaker Storm Surge (4 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 light woods + 1 partial cover = 12): rolled 8, miss!
- Gains 30 heat, sinks 32!

Copperhead Gamma (Player)
- No Orders Received
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 24!

Mountain Lion (Player)
- Holds Fire!
- Gains 1 heat, sinks 26!

Coyote (Player)
- Holds Fire!
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 40!

Hunchback #1 (Player)
- Holds Fire!
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 20!

Hunchback #2 (Player)
- Holds Fire!
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 10!

Screamer (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 5 heat, sinks 25!

Bobcat (Player)
- No Orders Received!
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 26!

Beowulf (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 24!

Wild Weasel (Player)
- Fires LRM-20 w/Artemis IV (Smoke) at Hex 1809 (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement - 4 immobile target = 2): Automatically hit!
- Gains 7 heat, sinks 22!

Phoenix Hawk (Player)
- Firing orders ignored: no reason given for attempting to start incidental fires!
- Gains 10 heat, sinks 20!

Varangian Undertow
- Fires ER Large Laser at Awesome (2 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 10): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires ER Large Laser at Awesome (2 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 10): rolled 3, miss!
- Gains 26 heat, sinks 40!

Ragnarok Beta
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 28!

Unknown `Mech Alpha
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 36!

Warhawk Riptide
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Phoenix Hawk (2 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover - 2 pulse laser - 1 targeting computer = 6): rolled 7, hit Center Torso (12/22 armor remaining)!
- Gains 12 heat, sinks 44!

Sohei Gamma
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 32!

Wolf Spider Eta
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 50!

Night Gyr Epsilon
- Holds fire!

Nidhogg Eta
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 32!

Crossbow Alpha
- Holds fire!

Crossbow Beta
- Holds fire!

Naga Alpha
- Fires Arrow IV (Smoke) at hex 2534 (4 base + 7 indirect fire = 11): rolled 8, shot scatters 3 hexes!
- - Arrow IV (Smoke) scatters into hex 2533!
- - Arrow IV (Smoke) scatters into hex 2532!
- - Arrow IV (Smoke) lands in hex 2531!
- Fires Arrow IV (FASCAM)!
- Gains 22 heat, sinks 24!

Swordbreaker Storm Surge
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 38!

Thunderchild Razormaw
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 20!

Shadowcat Eta
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 28!

Viper Ocean Breeze
- Holds fire!

Nergal Reactor
- Reactor Output: 20%

Next Turn’s Movement Phase
Sohei Gamma
- Jumps into swamp hex 2006, automatically bogged down!

Night Gyr Epsilon
- Jumps into swamp hex 2006, automatically bogged down!

Player Status:

Opposing Force Status:

House Rule: Flooding Sucks – An armor breach underwater no longer destroys hit locations outright. A section that floods instead suffers damage to all weapons in that location, knocking them offline. All ammunition or special equipment in a flooded section is likewise rendered useless. Head armor breaches are treated as normal.

Primary Objectives
- Lure the Clans near the Nergal Reactor (0/1)
- Stay close to the Nergal Reactor (0/1)

Secondary Objectives
- Accrue Bounty (0 c-bills / 0 goods)
- - Light `Mechs: 1,000,000 c-bills
- - Medium `Mechs: 2,000,000 c-bills
- - Heavy `Mechs: 3,000,000 c-bills
- - Assault `Mechs: 4,000,000 c-bills
- - Infantry Units: 250,000 c-bills
- - Battle Armor Units: 1,000,000 c-bills
- - AeroSpace Fighters: 2,000,000 c-bills

- Last Mission’s Total Bounty: 62,300,000 c-bills (93,450,000 goods)
- Total Accumulated Bounty: 62,300,000 c-bills (93,450,000 goods)

Orders Due: Midnight Saturday!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Right in the CT, ouch. :(

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

For once our pet Clanners aren't wrong. Uncle Stevie better have something in his bag of tricks that puts the McKenna stunt to shame. Even Good Doggies wouldn't do much to help us in this terrain (though they would have been great in the city!).

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Wonder what the reactor is powering.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

A bit of a rough start there, taking a scratch and a lot of missing orders. Hopefully that's just a bump in the road.

This map's starting to look a lot smaller than it did earlier, the fighting could start in earnest as soon as next turn. Also scary to see some of those mechs disappear beneath the water, assuming that invisibility is reciprocal there might've been an advantage to staying under and jumping out in ambush that the players have mostly forfeited.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I was just noticing how the reactor looks a lot like a missile silo.

Or maybe a tripod.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Lack of orders have me standing alone if I move forward, which I'm not eager to do in the first place. Might reverse the Awesome right back to my starting point at 3118 and fire all 4 PPC's at the Sohei. Sohei might jump and still be able to hit me (other targets though I think), and tucks me in a narrow fire line. With faster things closing in, I might support another flank next turn. Thoughts?

edit: When we're told to stay close to the reactor, I assume we shouldn't go past those glowing icon things that appeared.

edit2: 3117 wouldn't give me a move mod, but gives me more movement options next turn

thiswayliesmadness fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 21, 2016

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
What's line slime?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I'm thinking that the glowing spikes are the remote sensors that the Wild Weasel placed. The Sohei is also bogged next turn, since it jumped in to a swamp.

Loa Vecre
Jul 27, 2014

Gwaihir posted:

I'm thinking that the glowing spikes are the remote sensors that the Wild Weasel placed. The Sohei is also bogged next turn, since it jumped in to a swamp.

I count 10, which is the amount that KnoxZone said they'd pre-deployed, so I guess that's indeed the case. Is there a significance to the different colors?

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Loa Vecre posted:

I count 10, which is the amount that KnoxZone said they'd pre-deployed, so I guess that's indeed the case. Is there a significance to the different colors?

I'm guessing that's a "danger meter".

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

Coffeehitler posted:

I'm guessing that's a "danger meter".

If you're right, we've got a surprise to the SE

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Loa Vecre posted:

Is there a significance to the different colors?

Nope.

Just a way to help players who can monitor them identify which ones they're monitoring.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Bethany is becoming a worse clanner by the minute, good for her. Throwing contractions about like they mean nothing.

Edit: ↓↓↓↓ Naw, she pointedly used one at the end of her lecture against Noretti about adapting.

Tran fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jul 21, 2016

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Tran posted:

Bethany is becoming a worse clanner by the minute, good for her. Throwing contractions about like they mean nothing.

Only when she's in character. When it's just her and Noretti, she talks like a typical clanner.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

PoptartsNinja posted:

Nergal Reactor
- Reactor Output: 20%

Ok so we in all likelihood want to hold out for turn 5 and then set up to open a can of whupass. Uh, I need to find a nice safe place to jump to until I can start jumping into blind spots.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Well, on the bright side the Warhawk only shot a single LPS out of its four. Given those hit numbers, that could have been a lot more painful.

On the down side, we've got 3 mechs without submitted orders on the first turn, and another that's trying to set fires. In a swamp. Oh, and there's now a minefield somewhere, to make your potential movement more exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm not going to be a complete dick on a turn 1 miscalculation.

Wasn't quite in 50% cover.

• Locked thread