Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

No, just worried one of the players doesn't realize they jumped right into the Dire Wolf's field of fire.

Edit: At least it's thematically appropriate for the pilot.

I can't wait to watch someone eat four AC-20 slugs :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Just a reminder: anyone with an Active Probe or the Command `Mech or Improved Communications quirk can peek in on the remote sensors, but the sensors don't do anything if no one's watching them.

An Active Probe can monitor two sensors (the Bloodhound can still only monitor 2 at once), and anything with a positive quirk can monitor 1, but these stack so the Wild Weasel can monitor 3 sensors per turn.

Ok, so I had no idea what any of this actually meant, and assumed that none of the other Goons knew either since no one brought it up. Thankfully, my begging to a few boardgame nerds I met back when I was playing D&D got me something approaching an answer. Still kinda lost, honestly, but I think I...kinda get it, I guess? PTNs house rules might be different, so take this with a grain of salt:

quote:

"With the exception of magscan, sensors will not pass through the surface of a water hex, so a sensor in a location above or below water cannot detect a unit that is below or above water, respectively. The one exception occurs if a sensor is located in the “body” of a naval vessel on the surface, in which case the sensor can detect units both above and below the surface of the water. To make a Sensor Check, the player rolls 2D6. A result of 7 or 8 means the sensor detects any unit within its short range. A result of 5 or 6 means the sensor detects units out to its medium range. A result of 2 to 4 means the sensor detects units out to its long range. A roll of 9 to 12 means the sensor failed to detect any units; a spotting unit may use only one type of sensor per turn, which is declared by the player at the start of the turn.

If using commanders, a subforce commander can make two different types of sensor rolls, while a force commander can make three different types of sensor rolls (this includes rolling for his own sensors and/or rolling to monitor remote sensors). If a unit mounts equipment with “ECM” in its title (even if the ECM only affects the target unit’s hex), or if the equipment must have an active ECM to operate (such as Stealth Armor or a Void-Signature System), then the player is informed that jamming has occurred even if the sensor roll fails. Any friendly unit with the right ability can monitor to a sensor within 67 hexes, and a Remote Sensor can be used to spot hidden units within 2 hexes of the sensor, unless such units are using Stealth Armor, Null-Signature System, Void-Signature System, or ECMs of any kind.

So basically, some of the Clan units might be invisible to us unless we start making sensor checks, or they have ECM/stealth, in which case they might be invisible to us anyway, but we still might learn they exist (yay?). I'm assuming both Duncan and Jason are commanders, but is Bethany one too? And what kind of Commander are we?

Anyway, I had no idea any of this was a thing, so I didn't specify any sensor rolls for this turn. Hopefully, PTN will at least assume that our people will want to check their own sensors and roll for that, at least.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

thetruegentleman posted:

Ok, so I had no idea what any of this actually meant

It means you can use the remote sensors to reveal things none of the players have direct line of sight to, provided there's an enemy `Mech close enough to the sensor to be revealed.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Nergal Reactor: Tactical Update 4

“Wait, I have figured it out!” Noretti called too late. “Do not engage the southern—”

Her heart sank as the Screamer opened fire on a target she couldn’t see. The azure whip of a PPC lit the smoke from behind, but Jason must have hit something because the enemy response was immediate. Noretti cursed, firing a snap-shot at the too-distant Viper in an attempt to spoil its aim, and breathed a sigh of relief as its own PPC missed the Screamer by meters.

“I am too slow-witted,” Noretti lamented on the company channel. “The southern star has a different unit insignia! The 197th Assault Trinary undoubtedly has a contract with another cluster commander, they’ve brought in an outside scouting force. I have no doubt that unit was honor-bound not to engage us directly unless we opened fire on them.”

“Of course!” Bethany echoed, “That’s why the brought the Naga! It’s not attacking us directly with its Arrow IVs, and it’s both a soft and tempting target while having enough firepower to goad us into attacking—!”

“Incoming!” Duncan’s broadcast was too late as another Arrow missile fell from the sky. This one didn’t burst in a shower of mines, but instead detonated a scant ten meters above the planet’s surface. Noretti winced as pressure waves battered her borrowed Phoenix Hawk. She’d been less than thirty meters distant, and had borne the brunt of the airburst. Almost instinctively she let her mouth fall open to keep the pressure waves from popping her eardrums. Her armor diagrams flashed the same angry orange color as the explosion outside her cockpit as armor plating shattered and fell away.

Noretti’s cockpit darkened momentarily to near complete opacity to preserve her vision, but when it cleared she swallowed. The fusion plant’s outer façade of pipes and concrete had crumbled revealing a hollow darkness within. “That’s not—” she’d only just begun to say when the rest of the false power plant erupted. Shaped charges carefully blew the building’s walls outward. Its towering smokestack-like heat exchanger fell directly towards her machine—then glanced off without an apparent impact as the lightweight plaster and wire mock-up crumbled and shattered.

“It’s still too soon for my tastes but it seems the ‘jig’ is up,” Major Karagan exclaimed darkly as his BattleMech raised a quintet of radiator fins to full extension, like a peacock flaring its tail feathers. A massive arm, large as the Phoenix Hawk’s torso twisted into view for a brief moment. Noretti stared, at once awestruck and mystified. She had no idea what she was looking at.

Movement Phase
Atlas III
- Enters Minefield Hex 2719, mines deal damage on 9+: rolled 9, suffers 5 damage to Right Leg (37/42 armor remaining)!
- - minefield density can’t be reduced below 5!

Grasshopper
- Enters Minefield Hex 2723, mines deal damage on 9+: rolled 4, no damage sustained!
- - minefield density can’t be reduced below 5!

Wild Weasel
- Switches Angel ECM to ECM!

Shooting Phase
Movement Phase
Atlas III
- Enters Minefield Hex 2719, mines deal damage on 9+: rolled 9, suffers 5 damage to Right Leg (37/42 armor remaining)!
- - minefield density can’t be reduced below 5 through use!

Grasshopper
- Enters Minefield Hex 2723, mines deal damage on 9+: rolled 4, no damage sustained!
- - minefield density can’t be reduced below 5 through use!

Wild Weasel

Shooting Phase
Arrow IV (High Explosive)
- Fired Last Turn at hex 2921 (4 base + 7 indirect fire = 11): rolled 10, shot scatters 1 hex!
- - Arrow IV (High Explosive) lands in hex 3021!
- - - Wild Weasel suffers 5 damage to Left Arm (7/12 armor remaining)!
- - - Copperhead Charlie suffers 15 damage to Left Arm (11/16 armor remaining)!
- - - Phoenix Hawk suffers 15 damage to Right Leg (13/18 armor remaining), Left Leg (13/18 armor remaining), Right Arm (8/13 armor remaining)!
- - - Quonset Hut 3121 suffers 15 damage (0/10 CF remaining)! Building destroyed!
- - - Quonset Hut 3123 suffers 5 damage (5/10 CF remaining)!
- - - Nergal Reactor Hex 2921 suffers 15 damage (0/15 CF remaining)! Hex collapses!
- - - - ??? suffers 1 damage in the collapse to Left Arm (131/132 armor remaining)
- - - Nergal Reactor Hex 2920 suffers 5 damage (10/15 CF remaining)!
- - - Nergal Reactor Hex 2820 suffers 5 damage (10/15 CF remaining)!
- - - Nergal Reactor Hex 2821 suffers 5 damage (10/15 CF remaining)!

Atlas III (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 24!

Awesome (Player)
- Fires rER PPC at Sohei Gamma (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 11, hit Center Torso (28/38 armor remaining)!
- - Plasma arcs to Right Torso (21/26 armor remaining)!
- Fires rER PPC at Sohei Gamma (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 6, hit Left Arm (16/26 armor remaining)!
- - Plasma arcs to Left Torso (21/26 armor remaining)!
- Fires PPC at Sohei Gamma (3 base + 4 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 8): rolled 11, hit Left Torso (11/26 armor remaining)!
- Fires PPC at Sohei Gamma (3 base + 4 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 8): rolled 5, miss!
- Gains 51 heat, sinks 50!

Grasshopper (Player)
- Fires Large X-Pulse Laser at Viper (3 base + 4 range + 3 movement + 4 enemy movement + 1 partial cover - 2 pulse laser = 13): automatic miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Viper: out of range, automatic miss!
- Gains 30 heat, sinks 30!

Lament (Player)
- No Line of Sight to primary target (even it was in LOS, it wasn’t in an arc where you could’ve hit it with an alpha strike)!
- No Line of Sight to secondary target!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 32!

Copperhead Gamma (Player)
- Holds Fire!

Mountain Lion (Player)
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 2725!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Thunderchild Razormaw (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 partial cover + 1 light woods = 11): rolled 5, miss!
- Gains 1 heat, sinks 26!

Coyote (Player)
- No line of sight to any target!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 40!

Hunchback #1 (Player)
- Holds Fire!
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 20!

Hunchback #2 (Player)
- Fires Heavy Gauss Rifle at Sohei Gamma (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 6): rolled 10, hit Right Torso (1/26 armor remaining)!
- Gains 3 heat, sinks 10!

Screamer (Player)
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1925!
- Fires rER PPC at Stormcrow Storm Surge (2 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 7): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Stormcrow Storm Surge (2 base + 4 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer - 2 pulse laser = 7): rolled 9, hit Left Leg (18/25 armor remaining)!
- Gains 24 heat, sinks 25!

Bobcat (Player)
- Fires rER PPC at Sohei Gamma (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 7): rolled 7, hit Left Torso (1/26 armor remaining)!
- - Plasma arcs to Left Arm (11/26 armor remaining)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Sohei Gamma (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 9): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Sohei Gamma (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 9): rolled 4, miss!
- Gains 27 heat, sinks 26!

Beowulf (Player)
- Holds fire!

Wild Weasel (Player)
- Fires LRM-20 w/Artemis IV (Thunder) at Hex 1712 (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement - 4 immobile target = 2): Automatically hit!
- Gains 7 heat, sinks 22!

Phoenix Hawk (Player)
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Viper Ocean Breeze (3 base + 4 range + 3 movement + 4 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 12): rolled 7, miss!
- Gains 15 heat, sinks 20!

Varangian Undertow
- Fires ER Large Laser at Beowulf (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement + 2 light woods + 1 partial cover = 12): rolled 9, miss!
- Fires ER Large Laser at Beowulf (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement + 2 light woods + 1 partial cover = 12): rolled 8, miss!
- Gains 26 heat, sinks 40!

Ragnarok Beta
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Atlas III (2 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 smoke = 9): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Atlas III (2 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 smoke = 9): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Atlas III (2 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 smoke = 9): rolled 4, miss!
- Gains 5 heat, sinks 28!

Unknown `Mech Alpha
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 36!

Warhawk Riptide
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 44!

Sohei Gamma
- Fires ER PPC at Awesome (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement = 7): rolled 8, hit Right Arm (11/26 armor remaining)!
- Fires LRM-20 w/ Artemis IV at Awesome (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement = 7): rolled 6, miss!
- Gains 21 heat, sinks 32!

Wolf Spider Eta
- Fires ER Large Laser at Mountain Lion (2 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 9): rolled 9, hit Rear Right Torso (0/8 armor, 13/15 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Gains 14 heat, sinks 50!

Night Gyr Epsilon
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Screamer (3 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 5 enemy movement + 1 light woods - 2 pulse laser = 12): rolled 7, miss!

Nidhogg Eta
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 32!

Crossbow Alpha
- Fires LRM-20 w/Artemis IV (swarm-i) at Mountain Lion (2 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 9): rolled 4, miss! Swarm-i targeting degrades to Swarm standard due to ECM interference!
- - Swarm-i LRMs attack Grasshopper (2 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 10): rolled 10, 20 missiles hit Center Torso (55/60 armor remaining), Left Leg (55/60 armor remaining), Center Torso (50/60 armor remaining), Right Leg (55/60 armor remaining)!
- Fires LRM-20 w/Artemis IV (smoke) at hex 2124 (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement - 4 enemy movement + 1 secondary target + 1 light woods = 4): rolled 8, hit!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at Screamer (2 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 5 enemy movement + 1 light woods + 1 partial cover + 1 secondary target = 16): fails to lock-on!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at Screamer (2 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 5 enemy movement + 1 light woods + 1 partial cover + 1 secondary target = 16): fails to lock-on!
- Gains 14 heat, sinks 24!

Crossbow Beta
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at Screamer (2 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 5 enemy movement + 1 light woods + 1 partial cover = 15): fails to lock-on!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at Screamer (2 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 5 enemy movement + 1 light woods + 1 partial cover = 15): fails to lock-on!

Naga Alpha
- Holds fire!
- Gains 1 heat, sinks 24!

Swordbreaker Storm Surge
- Free to engage!
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 2332!
- Fires Heavy Large Laser at Screamer (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 5 enemy movement = 12): rolled 9, miss!
- Fires TAG at Screamer (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 5 enemy movement = 13): automatic miss!
- Gains 20 heat, sinks 38!

Thunderchild Razormaw
- Free to engage!
- Holds fire!
- Gains 6 heat, sinks 20!

Shadowcat Eta
- Free to engage!
- Holds fire!
- Gains 5 heat, sinks 28!

Viper Ocean Breeze
- Free to engage!
- Fires ER PPC at Screamer (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 5 enemy movement + 2 light woods = 13): automatic miss!
- Gains 23 heat, sinks 24!

Nergal Reactor
- Reactor Output: 3000%

End Phase
Sohei Gamma
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (4 base + 1 massive damage + 1 swamp = 6): rolled 10, succeeds!

Grasshopper (player)
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (4 base + 1 massive damage + 1 hardened armor = 6): rolled 12, succeeds!

Mountain Lion (player)
- Critical chance in Right Torso: rolled 4, no critical hit sustained!

Next Turn’s Movement Phase
Sohei Gamma
- Attempts to free itself from the mud (4 base + 1 swamp = 5): rolled 3, fails!

NRG-0000-0X Nergal (Allied)
- Activates shaped charges.
- - Fusion Reactor Shell destroyed in a controlled collapse.
- - Adjacent minefields cleared by falling debris!

Player Status:

Allied Status:

Opposing Force Status:

House Rule: Flooding Sucks – An armor breach underwater no longer destroys hit locations outright. A section that floods instead suffers damage to all weapons in that location, knocking them offline. All ammunition or special equipment in a flooded section is likewise rendered useless. Head armor breaches are treated as normal.

Primary Objectives
- Lure the Clans near the Nergal Reactor (failed!)
- Protect the NRG-0000-0X Nergal (0/1)

Secondary Objectives
- Accrue Bounty (0 c-bills / 0 goods)
- - Light `Mechs: 1,000,000 c-bills
- - Medium `Mechs: 2,000,000 c-bills
- - Heavy `Mechs: 3,000,000 c-bills
- - Assault `Mechs: 4,000,000 c-bills
- - Infantry Units: 250,000 c-bills
- - Battle Armor Units: 1,000,000 c-bills
- - AeroSpace Fighters: 2,000,000 c-bills

- Last Mission’s Total Bounty: 62,300,000 c-bills (93,450,000 goods)
- Total Accumulated Bounty: 62,300,000 c-bills (93,450,000 goods)

Orders Due: Midnight Saturday!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 27, 2016

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
I screwed up my move orders, didn't I? I said "walk to 2932" but I would have had to run there because moving through forests takes +1 MP, right?

Much more significantly, it looks like whatever just came out of that fake reactor has 132 armor on its arm, and I'm no Battletech expert but that seems like a lot. It probably has some guns too!

EDIT: I just now noticed that the new mech has a mech sheet

Cathode Raymond fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 27, 2016

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Four turns to fail a primary objective. Is that a new record?

So, now whatever our great equalizer was supposed to be is out in the open and we didn't get it any nearby targets. gently caress. And Dadlas even eat the leg damage punishment for the AFK.

The Dice Gods have returned, and they are loving mad.

[EDIT] Oh, it's a 2/2 super heavy. In a swamp full of mines. We should have picked the city.

[EDIT 2] Our super-weapon has less than double the BV of the enemy dual UAC20 Dire Wolf alone.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 27, 2016

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

[EDIT] Oh, it's a 2/2 super heavy. In a swamp full of mines. We should have picked the city.

[EDIT 2] Our super-weapon has less than double the BV of the enemy dual UAC20 Dire Wolf alone.

It doesn't give a poo poo about swamps or mines but it would've had a lot of trouble navigating a 30-meter wide street :ssh:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
What the ^Q(^#(@&_ is a Hyper Pulse Laser? Double the heat of an ER Large, and with the same brackets!

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Nergal Reactor: Tactical Update 4

Noretti’s cockpit darkened momentarily to near complete opacity to preserve her vision, but when it cleared she swallowed. The fusion plant’s outer façade of pipes and concrete had crumbled revealing a hollow darkness within. “That’s not—” she’d only just begun to say when the rest of the false power plant erupted. Shaped charges carefully blew the building’s walls outward. Its towering smokestack-like heat exchanger fell directly towards her machine—then glanced off without an apparent impact as the lightweight plaster and wire mock-up crumbled and shattered.

“It’s still too soon for my tastes but it seems the ‘jig’ is up,” Major Karagan exclaimed darkly as his BattleMech raised a quintet of radiator fins to full extension, like a peacock flaring its tail feathers. A massive arm, large as the Phoenix Hawk’s torso twisted into view for a brief moment. Noretti stared, at once awestruck and mystified. She had no idea what she was looking at.

Shooting Phase
Arrow IV (High Explosive)
- Fired Last Turn at hex 2921 (4 base + 7 indirect fire = 11): rolled 10, shot scatters 1 hex!
- - Arrow IV (High Explosive) lands in hex 3021!
- - - Nergal Reactor Hex 2921 suffers 15 damage (0/15 CF remaining)! Hex collapses!
- - - - ??? suffers 1 damage in the collapse to Left Arm (131/132 armor remaining)

Nergal Reactor
- Reactor Output: 3000%

NRG-0000-0X Nergal (Allied)
- Activates shaped charges.
- - Fusion Reactor Shell destroyed in a controlled collapse.
- - Adjacent minefields cleared by falling debris!

Primary Objectives
- Lure the Clans near the Nergal Reactor (failed!)
- Protect the NRG-0000-0X Nergal (0/1)

Holy poo poo. Happy I called it, but go go power rangers.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

berryjon posted:

What the ^Q(^#(@&_ is a Hyper Pulse Laser? Double the heat of an ER Large, and with the same brackets!

It probably isn't, but I hope it's actually based off of HPGs rather than weapons, so it just microwave obliterates everything. It'll still be funny to try and get a 2/2 within range of stuff that will be raining all their fancy artillery and missiles down on its no-move-mod-having fat rear end, but at least maybe then it'll just Kamehameha things out of existence if it can waddle close enough.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
Is it just me, or did the maps not get updated?

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Just a little nitpick but the enemy movement map is the one from last turn I think. Similarly got the old unit cards as well.

This should get interesting! I still think going for the southern dudes was the right call. Just letting a Naga poo poo arrows everywhere isn't that much better than full engagement.

Guess that Nergal has quadruple strength myomer to boot. Does this affect movement the same as TSM?

Picard Day fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 27, 2016

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
oh god the secret is out way too fast

oh dear

Edit: How could they have lured the Clanners in? The Clanners shot the drat building.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
You can do it guys, I believe in you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wckZcVFLU24

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

berryjon posted:

The Hyper Laser is essentially two Clan ER Large Lasers Duct-taped together. Or, if you prefer, it's an ammo-free, high-heat AC/20 with Clan ER Large Laser range brackets. Then the simple addition of a Laser Pulse Module turns the whole thing into a pulse laser.

Coffeehitler posted:

Is it just me, or did the maps not get updated?

poo poo, fixed. I accidentally reverted to the old maps when I fixed the whole 'forgot to add the Nergal's scorecard' thing.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 27, 2016

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mood: Annoyed Sorry Beckett!

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Hyper Laser is essentially two Clan ER Large Lasers Duct-taped together. Or, if you prefer, it's an ammo-free, high-heat AC/20 with Clan ER Large Laser range brackets. Then the simple addition of a Laser Pulse Module turns the whole thing into a pulse laser.

I was curious about those Hyper Pulse Lasers too, those sound nasty. Shame there's nothing in range for it to stab and or Gaussify up.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Oh it scattered on to the building.

poo poo that is some awful luck to begin with.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Question: will activating the QSM (assuming that means quadruple strength myomer) boost the Nergal to 3/4 ala TSM?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Picard Day posted:

Question: will activating the QSM (assuming that means quadruple strength myomer) boost the Nergal to 3/4 ala TSM?

It does, yes.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

So... uh that superheavy mech is going to eat faces. If I remember superheavies are 3 hexes tall and don't really give a drat, with the hardened armor it has has more armor in its weakest slots than some ASSAULT mechs have over the ct.

Oh and it has a lance... for impaling enemy assault mechs and laughing while it dangles their corpses in the air.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Okay, so

PTN sent me a PM giving me the keys to the Nergal. Apparently it's movement is completely unimpeded by water or swamps and has partial cover in height 2 water. I guess I'd better go dig up the tripod rules since that's all new to me. And I legitimately never expected to have to know them lmao

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

AtomikKrab posted:

So... uh that superheavy mech is going to eat faces. If I remember superheavies are 3 hexes tall and don't really give a drat, with the hardened armor it has has more armor in its weakest slots than some ASSAULT mechs have over the ct.

Oh and it has a lance... for impaling enemy assault mechs and laughing while it dangles their corpses in the air.

How is it going to get within lancing range?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Artificer posted:

How is it going to get within lancing range?

This is officially now my top concern, overriding even EDF 4.1's recent PC release.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

This is officially now my top concern, overriding even EDF 4.1's recent PC release.

Get your QSM on so you got some speed, and taunt the clanners... gently caress challenge one to steiner rules if you have too.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Don't lances work better when you're moving fast?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

goatface posted:

Don't lances work better when you're moving fast?

Nope, it's just an armor-penetrating kick on a stick.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Artificer posted:

Oh it scattered on to the building.

poo poo that is some awful luck to begin with.

I think I called that a couple pages back.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Well that is interesting.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

quote:

Holy gently caress.

That is one of the most ludicrous 'mech-portable weapons in the history of Battletech. It has two of them.

:suspense:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Xarbala to the rescue!

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Even Death laughs when the nukes begin to rain.
Now I, for one, abide by the "poke the drat bear" strategy for getting folks to get stuck in. Namely the "Hit and run back to the big fellas and the hidden-in-water ambushers". Was it the scatter alone that ruined drawing them in, or was being aggressive also a goof for the fail on the luring in?

Also, that's a big papa. A wonderfully big papa. Now we have Dadlas and GraNergle as our center points.

Also, a question. Were we ever supposed to be aware of the Contracted Star aspect or is that just plot for plot's sake?

Screamer

Initial move thoughts include: 1935 with potential rear arc shots on 2235's occupant /w possible "Where's That Naga?" downside, fade back to 3029 as a jumpy rat bastard play of draw in, or push the envelope with 1231 as a Dare To Flank Everything with attendant downsides of Law of Large Numbers equating into eating boxcars from SOMETHING. Opinions welcome.

E: Additional "Ride High and Flank to Hell" option lies around the 0824-0823-0923 cluster of partial cover from I-don't-know-offhand-number of flippy arm fire.

Ronin Of Dreams fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 28, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

Nope, it's just an armor-penetrating kick on a stick.

Not that there's anything that isn't penetrated by a 200 ton QSM kick. IIRC QSM is always on since it's the drastically superior original version of TSM that explodes in the presence of trace amounts of some common gas. Probably also has a bigger damage multiplier.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, Battlemech melee weapons don't operate by the physics of dudes on horses. Or, really, physics at all if we're being completely honest.

So, are we sitting still? Or pushing north or south? Judging by Ronin of Dream's comment I'm assuming we were going to try to lure them in, but since the Nergal's jig seems to be up I'm wondering if we shouldn't start trying to push as a unit to beat up a specific star before we get surrounded and overrun.

That said, our assault lance + superheavy aren't going to be going anywhere anytime soon. And Nergal, at least, has some unique defensive options by playing swamp monster.

Ronin Of Dreams posted:

Also, a question. Were we ever supposed to be aware of the Contracted Star aspect or is that just plot for plot's sake?

I'm pretty sure that addition was for drama, realistically there's no way the players could've known and that just makes for a more tense read of the situation. Functionally, the situation just became as bad as what we assumed it was to be from the start.

Runa fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 28, 2016

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Okay, so

PTN sent me a PM giving me the keys to the Nergal. Apparently it's movement is completely unimpeded by water or swamps and has partial cover in height 2 water. I guess I'd better go dig up the tripod rules since that's all new to me. And I legitimately never expected to have to know them lmao

Rule 1 for tripods: avoid the common cold at all costs.

After Xarbala's finesse performance last time, I'm looking forward to seeing him play Mechzilla.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Instead of playing jumpy range bracket grabass I get to be the big bad elephant in the room. Yeah, I can dig it.

I'm going to assume Hyper Pulses are only -1 to hit like Clan ER Pulse because otherwise that's just cuh-ray-zay. I could start unloading onto either the Rag or the Vag (or Kingfisher and Direwolf if you're a stick in the mud) since they're going to be putting the entire dam platform in their sights and you can't use the Nergal to block LOS anymore. The Vag can unload a lot more damage if it gets close and I can actually deal a lot of damage to it from a decent range. I can also get QSM going so I can maybe get to one of those noticeable three-hex-wide zones of depth-2 water as cover in something resembling a decent timeframe. Looking to get my central hex to 2415 and get some degree of cover while I still have armor superiority. This also puts me in position to pick a fight with the Assault star while everybody else figures out what it is we're all going to be trying to do.

Thanks to the HPLs Nergal has the ranged firepower to punch giant donut holes in just about any of the lighter Clanners but against the north star I would need to get up close and personal and may as well start now.

Can I move laterally without penalty? I've been operating under the assumption that tripods can do that and it'd be really embarrassing if I was mistaken.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Please stop calling it the Vag because now I can't stop giggling.

On that note how does a multi hex tripod even work with minefields? If one of your hexes occupies a mine hex another part of your mech already occupied does that count as entering a minefield?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Picard Day posted:

Please stop calling it the Vag because now I can't stop giggling.

On that note how does a multi hex tripod even work with minefields? If one of your hexes occupies a mine hex another part of your mech already occupied does that count as entering a minefield?

Rang and Vang then.

Also yeah, good question. Incidentally, that's also why I'm trying to look up tripod lateral movement.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Can I move laterally without penalty? I've been operating under the assumption that tripods can do that and it'd be really embarrassing if I was mistaken.

Sort-of. It only ever costs a tripod 1 MP to turn any number of hexes because it's got a 360 degree torso rotation. It takes a little time to twist until its legs are aligned the way it needs and then off it goes, but it can't scuttle like a quad can.

Not that it needs to, since 360 degree torso twist means it can always get something in the front arc. Tripods can't be easily outmaneuvered.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

:stare:

Is it too early to declare victory for gooncompany? That Nergal looks so crazy. Huge amount of hardened armor with those 2 monster weapons. Not to mention the rest of the player mechs still alive to draw some fire away from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Two solid headshots with big weapons could still take it out. It's big and has a lot of armor but it's not invulnerable.

• Locked thread