Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

TildeATH posted:

It think it's designed to have an ammo explosion.

I guess? It's only 5 tons of ammo. Sure the armor's still rather thin, but I imagine it's coming in underweight so you probably could max it out. You'd end up with the same crits of ammo as an Orion, just without nearly as much firepower. Just seems weird. Probably thinking too much about it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

TildeATH posted:

It think it's designed to have an ammo explosion.

Can't be, it has torso-mounted weapons to soak crits with.

Bacon In A Wok
Jan 27, 2014

Shoeless posted:

Edit: ^^^What is that terrible thing, and what possessed you to create it?
"Melvin, go through our project files, figure out whichever intern first suggested we just need to avoid explicitly using the words 'Shadow Hawk' in any of the marketing materials, and pink-slip 'em. Social General Shoeless clearly ain't buying it."

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Nergal Reactor: Tactical Update 15

“You’re not getting away,” Noretti growled as her lasers bracketed the Sea Fox Viper. Damp earth exploded into dusty plumes where her beams touched, her lasers dried the soil instantly. The Viper was retreating in good order, its pilot wasn’t lost in a panic. It swiveled on its bird-like hips as Noretti landed, its small hands curled into defensive fists.

She lashed out, smashing the Phoenix Hawk’s foot into the Viper’s shin. The Phoenix Hawk’s foot glanced from the Viper’s rounded armor, denting the ferro-fibrous weave and scratching a line through the pilot’s unit insignia. Its return strike caught her by complete surprise—she’d been expecting a kick herself, had braced her `Mech’s feet to keep them from being swept out from under her. But the Viper was ill-suited to kicks, its birdlike toes were too fragile for heavy duty work.

Its open fists slammed into the Phoenix Hawk’s head, neatly boxing the Phoenix Hawk’s ears and shattering the long aerial antennas that served both for communications and to feed data into her `Mech’s sensors. The simultaneous blows shook Noretti like a rag doll, nearly snapping her restraints. It was a neat and surprisingly effective maneuver, she had to admit, even as it retreated still further, trying to draw her away from her support.

Stravag,” she cursed under her breath, “I do not know how much farther I can chase that one. We may have to let the Viper go.”

Shooting Phase
Atlas III (Player)
- Gains 22 heat, sinks 24! Overheating!

Awesome (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 42!

Grasshopper (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 4 heat, sinks 30!

Lament (Player)
- Fires rER PPC at Viper Ocean Breeze (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 4 enemy movement + 1 light woods - 1 targeting computer = 13): automatic miss!
- Gains 19 heat, sinks 32!

Hunchback #1 (Player)
- No orders received!
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 20!

Screamer (Player)
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Viper Ocean Breeze (2 base + 4 range + 3 movement + 4 enemy movement + 2 light woods - 1 targeting computer - 2 pulse laser = 12): rolled 8, miss!
- Gains 34 heat, sinks 25! Overheating!

Bobcat (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 6 heat, sinks 26!

Phoenix Hawk (Player)
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Viper Ocean Breeze (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 4 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 8): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Viper Ocean Breeze (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 4 enemy movement = 10): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Viper Ocean Breeze (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 4 enemy movement = 10): rolled 7, miss!
- Gains 21 heat, sinks 20!

Nergal (Allied Player)
- Holds fire
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 52!

Viper Ocean Breeze
- Holds fire
- Gains 8 heat, sinks 22!

Wolf Spider Upsilon
- ???
- Gains 1 heat, sinks 38!

End Phase

Physical Combat Phase:
Phoenix Hawk (Player)
- Kicks Viper Ocean Breeze (4 base + 3 movement + 4 enemy movement - 2 kick = 9): rolled 11, hit Right Leg (10/19 armor remaining)!

Viper Ocean Breeze
- Punches Phoenix Hawk with both arms (4 base + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement = 10): rolled 11, 2 punches hit Head (5/9 armor remaining (Pilot Hit!)), Head (1/9 armor remaining (Pilot Hit!))!

End Phase:
Viper Ocean Breeze
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (4 base + 0 kicked = 4): rolled 7, succeeds!

Phoenix Hawk (Player)
- Must pass a 3+ consciousness test: rolled 4, succeeds!
- Must pass a 5+ consciousness test: rolled 9, succeeds!

Player Status:

Allies

Opposing Force Status:

House Rule: Flooding Sucks – An armor breach underwater no longer destroys hit locations outright. A section that floods instead suffers damage to all weapons in that location, knocking them offline. All ammunition or special equipment in a flooded section is likewise rendered useless. Head armor breaches are treated as normal.

Primary Objectives
- Lure the Clans near the Nergal Reactor (failed!)
- Protect the NRG-0000-0X Nergal (Success!)

Secondary Objectives
- Accrue Bounty (50,000,000 c-bills / 75,000,000 goods)
- - Light `Mechs: 1 (1,000,000 c-bills)
- - Medium `Mechs: 5 (2,000,000 c-bills)
- - Heavy `Mechs: 5 (3,000,000 c-bills)
- - Assault `Mechs: 6 (4,000,000 c-bills)
- - Infantry Units: 0 (250,000) c-bills
- - Battle Armor Units: 0 (1,000,000) c-bills
- - AeroSpace Fighters: 0 (2,000,000) c-bills

- Last Mission’s Total Bounty: 62,300,000 c-bills (93,450,000 goods)
- Total Accumulated Bounty: 112,300,000 c-bills (168,450,000 goods)

Orders Due: Midnight Tuesday!

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
Jason's going to have to break in a new seat, isn't he?

(one internal structure remaining is grounds for replacement of the limb, if I remember my Against the Bot logistics correctly)

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Everybody has a plan, until they get punched in the face.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
The cockpit hasn't broken; it's still got 1 armor point remaining.

But those were some pretty unfortunate dice rolls!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Viper MVP

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
welp, time for Noretti to take a swim or get to cover to be absolutely safe

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Throw in the towel, it isn't worth it at this point. It wasn't a bad idea to chase for one last turn, but that's the point to call it.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Well, I'm happy with throwing in the towel now. In a world without time constraints 0532 is perfectly safe (13 before any wood cover) and Noretti's no closer to being headcapped as long as she avoids further melee as the only other weapon is a headcapper, but it seems like a good place to call it. Continuing would be a free execution shot at 8+, but the best result would be two engine hits or a head crit. If the former it would leave, if the latter it'd have to roll a pilot kill, which is very unlikely, and it would probably stay, but it'd take a very long average time to kill it.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 5, 2016

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I still expect we'll need to play out the next round before calling the mission, just to confirm that everyone's broken contact without exposing themselves to a parting shot. The Viper was described as retreating in good order and has positioned itself well to return fire and the players totally have the option to do something reckless or risky, not that they should.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Bacon In A Wok posted:

"Melvin, go through our project files, figure out whichever intern first suggested we just need to avoid explicitly using the words 'Shadow Hawk' in any of the marketing materials, and pink-slip 'em. Social General Shoeless clearly ain't buying it."

Just make an off-brand Awesome. Everyone will love it, and you can sell them by the dropshipload to the Free Worlders next door, they love Awesomes. Lower the speed, rip out the weapons, replace the large laser and mediums with the 3 PPCs and then a bunch more heat sinks and armor. Bam, they'll sell like hot cakes I tells ya!

Shoeless fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 5, 2016

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Warhawk and Awesome for MVPs?

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 5, 2016

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
so everyone else stays where they are, and the Screamer and Phoenix Hawk jump at least 16 hexes away or in full cover, and we call it?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Noretti got ambitious and took a pair of punches to the face for her trouble. Sounds about right.

I already put in my vote to call it and I would imagine I don't have to send any orders in.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Vote or not, one more turn is probably all the game will need to end normally anyway. The Viper's retreated every turn and should be off the map next turn and the Wolf Spider will presumably give up too if no one wades out to play. Send an order that gives the Viper no reason to stick around and that should probably be the end of it.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Xarbala posted:

Noretti got ambitious and took a pair of punches to the face for her trouble. Sounds about right.

I already put in my vote to call it and I would imagine I don't have to send any orders in.

It was less dangerous than a kick to the face. ;)

Could dance around at 13+ (if mixed in with occasionally breaking LoS), defensively sniping, and forcing a shutdown roll if hitting either side torso from overhesting, but that would be boring. I'm voting to end it and sent in orders to that effect, any defensive sniping can just be fluffed if PTN wants to include it.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Sep 5, 2016

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Shoeless posted:

Just make an off-brand Awesome. Everyone will love it, and you can sell them by the dropshipload to the Free Worlders next door, they love Awesomes. Lower the speed, rip out the weapons, replace the large laser and mediums with the 3 PPCs and then a bunch more heat sinks and armor. Bam, they'll sell like hot cakes I tells ya!

Everyone loves awesomes. :colbert:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Yeah, pretty happy with my experience in this mission and would love to pass it off early to the next group of players. Voting to call it.

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.
I regret that I died so early! Good job everyone.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Solis posted:

I regret that I died so early! Good job everyone.

Technically Melanie didn't die until just a little while ago :v:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I pray to beacon 0811 that the scenario ends with our jumpers' heads intact.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Welp, that was an unfortunate turn for chasing the Viper. Best to just call it now and not risk anymore before anything more happens to the Phoenix Hawk.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

RA Rx posted:

Warhawk and Awesome for MVPs?

I don't know if the Awesome deserves MVP. I did my job well, and got some solid shots stripping away a good bit of armor but being 2nd in initiative order didn't let me do too much exceptional when everyone is focus firing down clanners. I got a few good center torso shots in but an 80 ton mech taking down something half it's size isn't exceptional. Well... slightly in one turn, but was from the rear/side!

I'm tossing my vote down for the Wild Weasel come time. It didn't do a ton of damage, but those smoke clouds really changed the battle in the long run. There would have been long range sniping windows all over for the OpForce without it! The smoke clouds allowed us to take things in close range and whittle them down one by one. Can't say what the fight would have been like without them, but we certainly handled them on our own terms this battle.

edit: I forgot how much I enjoyed games of battletech. Many thanks for this opportunity PTN!

thiswayliesmadness fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Sep 5, 2016

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Oh look a Shadow Zeus, the bigger brother of a medium with terrible "bracket fire" weapons loadout - but it never gets hot!.

I'd give the naga a joke OpFor MVP.

As for Goon MVP, my money says Dadlas again.
Though The P-Hawk has done a pretty good job too.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Jumping to 1236 towards the Atlas, and voting to end it. Viper will need a 13+ to hit (8/10+ return fire, maybe Noretti will get an ML hit this battle). And if he doesn't disengage the Atlas will get shots next turn.
This terrain is perfect with ACE for denying valid shots, but it'd take forever and need baiting at 12+, or he'd just leave.
Hopefully the reinforcements will take him out in the fluff... the Wolf Spider is getting away, so we don't need two messengers!

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Sep 5, 2016

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

RA Rx posted:

Jumping to 1236 towards the Atlas, and voting to end it. Viper will need a 13+ to hit (8/10+ return fire, maybe Noretti will get an ML hit this battle). And if he doesn't disengage the Atlas will get shots next turn.
This terrain is perfect with ACE for denying valid shots, but it'd take forever and need baiting at 12+, or he'd just leave.
Hopefully the reinforcements will take him out in the fluff... the Wolf Spider is getting away, so we don't need two messengers!

The VOB and the Wolf Spider are reporting back to two different Clans, so everyone involved gets the message.

My orders were just contingency orders for if the Wolf Spider should resurface just blast him. Other than that, voted to end it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Coffeehitler posted:

The VOB and the Wolf Spider are reporting back to two different Clans, so everyone involved gets the message.

?

No they're not, they're all Sea Foxes.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

?

No they're not, they're all Sea Foxes.

I thought the VOB was part of the distraction star from some other clan? Or was it just some other unit?

I'm going to blame it on having both just waking up, and being a couple hours before I normally wake up.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Coffeehitler posted:

I thought the VOB was part of the distraction star from some other clan? Or was it just some other unit?

They're part of a different command, as in the Naga Star wasn't part of the headhunter trinity that was specifically targeting the Demon Hawks, and they were bid as support or whatever, but they're both parts of the same Clan Sea Fox. Just basically parts of different Clan regiment equivalents.

Loa Vecre
Jul 27, 2014
Yeah, we're done here. I'm just going to jump to 3325 for the forest and vote to end it. Feels kinda weird to end with the only pristine mech, considering my disastrous gamble at the start.

I agree with thiswayliesmadness regarding the Wild Weasel. Those smokes opened up more options and made the field a lot safer.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Nope the MVPs for the players are definitely the two hunchbacks. They kept rolling and trolling the entire game and hit well above their weight.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
MVP has got to be Jason in the Screamer. dude had two headshots on heavy-hitting, relatively fresh mechs and constantly harried the OpFor so they could never really get comfortable

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Even Death laughs when the nukes begin to rain.

Pattonesque posted:

MVP has got to be Jason in the Screamer. dude had two headshots on heavy-hitting, relatively fresh mechs and constantly harried the OpFor so they could never really get comfortable

I'd give this credit specifically to FlippantHam if you did. Not only was he in the driver's seat for those headshots, but he stepped back up to the plate when things went south for me IRL.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Ronin Of Dreams posted:

I'd give this credit specifically to FlippantHam if you did. Not only was he in the driver's seat for those headshots, but he stepped back up to the plate when things went south for me IRL.

hey, co-MVPs are totally a thing even in Real Sports

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Affi posted:

Nope the MVPs for the players are definitely the two hunchbacks. They kept rolling and trolling the entire game and hit well above their weight.

Nah, we did our job and Tarezax definitely got some damage in, but I don't think it was anything special. You get MVP for jumping into the middle of a clan Star and headcapping 2 of them in one turn, not absorbing AC20 shots so that the Atlas keeps on trucking.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
honestly this mission had a lot of legit MVP candidates:

Wild Weasel for the smoke allowing us to have local superiority

Atlas for general Atlasness and eating a lot of damage

Screamer for the aforementioned headcaps

Awesome for two straight turns of deadeye PPC cores

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Alchenar posted:

Nah, we did our job and Tarezax definitely got some damage in, but I don't think it was anything special. You get MVP for jumping into the middle of a clan Star and headcapping 2 of them in one turn, not absorbing AC20 shots so that the Atlas keeps on trucking.

Absorbing AC20 shots so the Atlas can continue to Atlas is totally MVP worthy. I think it's telling how well you guys all played that there are a bunch of very legitimate candidates for MVP. The Awesome with those torso/torso/torso hits was pretty clutch as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The Awesome is getting my MVP vote as well, but most of the Demon Hawks side deserve recognition for fighting so well as a unit. You did good, kiddos. I'm sure King Dadlas is proud of you.

Nergal for Allied MVP, not just due to being the only allied unit (because our Reinforcement lance hosed off to have a picnic or something), but also because he Chaos Dunked the Nidhogg to show the Clans we meant business.

• Locked thread